NWEA Assessments

3.7

NWEA Assessments creates a personalized assessment experience by adapting to each student's learning level. You'll have assessment data-and essential information about what each student knows and is ready to learn-within 24 hours.

Work for NWEA Assessments?

Learning about NWEA Assessments?

Compare NWEA Assessments to Similar Solutions

NWEA Assessments Reviews

Ask NWEA Assessments a Question
Showing 22 NWEA Assessments reviews
NWEA Assessments review by Sarah R.
Sarah R.

"A Classroom Assessment Service"

What do you like best?

I like that we can drill down to the individual students and specifics skills with these test. I also like that for older students, we can still get a reading level, which is not something you can always get with testing software as many of them end at the middle school level. It is nice to be able to search students and see their whole test history.

What do you dislike?

The test results at the high school level seem unreliable as there is a growth norm of one to two points in each year of high school, but the margin of error on the test at these levels is three points above and three points below the score achieved. In addition, the writing and language test is not a writing test really, but it is a very term-specific grammar test. The growth projections for students end at tenth grade, so our juniors and seniors have no growth projections in the reports, which means all data has to be calculated by hand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest that you try taking a sample test yourself before submitting the tests to the students. It was an eye-opening experience when we as staff took the tests ourselves.

NWEA Assessment software is allowing our student growth to be determined over the course of a semester or a school year. This data is necessary for teacher evaluations from the state of Michigan in order to receive specific student funding.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about NWEA Assessments
NWEA Assessments review by Victoria M.
Victoria M.

"Interactive Assessment Tool"

What do you like best?

I like that every test is completely individualized and changes the rigor based upon student answers. This means that every question is uniquely tailored to accurately assess whether or not a student knows that particular set of information.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that reports take 24 hours to view - with all assessments being completed online, I would hope to see student results sooner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would take time to look over the resources for parents and teachers to become familiar with the assessment tools and reports. They are much easier to look at and use for differentiating instruction when you understand what specifically is being reported.

We are able to better differentiate and individualize our lesson plans and assessments as a school, as we now know what each student is capable of according to their RIT scores. We can use the learning continuum report to analyze specific standards that our students are capable of achieving and use that data to better inform our instruction.

What Assessment solution do you use?

NWEA Assessments review by Tracy L.
Tracy L.

"Essential Information for Teachers"

What do you like best?

We use NWEA Assessments, or MAP tests, to assess student achievement and growth. Teachers can pull up a variety of reports that can be used to guide and evaluate instruction. The data provided is much more helpful that the state mandated standardized testing data that we receive.

What do you dislike?

Reports do not generate instantly. Rather, you must wait a few minutes, or even longer, at times. Also, data is not available the same day a test is administered. Instead, you must wait until the next day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do not know how much it costs, but I can tell you that it provides very useful data. They have even improved their reports lately to make them even better!

One problem that schools face is the lack of timely, accurate testing data. MAP tests are given three times per year; therefore, their data is crucial to day-to-day instruction. State mandated tests are not frequent enough, and take way too long to score.

NWEA Assessments review by Brad O.
Brad O.

"Good product, but too many options"

What do you like best?

I use it to test my students 3 times a year and when I need to put a report for an IEP. I like it because it has the reading and the math MAP scores together when I run a report. That is important for the IEP and helps parents understand the data better. I also like that I can save test sessions, so when I want to come back to a session, all the students are still there and my test session name is the same.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like that the password changes everytime I quit the test session. Sometimes I need to test students throughout different times of day, so having the password reset is inconvenient. I also don’t like that there are so many options when I want to run a report; it’s hard to know what options I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would make sure to understand every option in the student reports; they are hard to navigate.

We are using it to test students on their basic reading and math skills to see what math and English classes they belong in.

NWEA Assessments review by Isabella G.
Isabella G.

"Detroit Teacher using NWEA"

What do you like best?

It's great to see what the students' previous spring score was as well as their fall, winter, and spring score for the current school-year. It also shows how much the student grew from spring-to-spring and fall-to-spring as well as the class median growth. The test is different for every student based on their ability and previous score. Test can be taken in reading and math.

What do you dislike?

The transition from 1st to 2nd grade is tough because in K/1 the test is read to them, and beginning in 2nd grade, the test is no longer read to the students. Elementary data is always lower than middle school data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool for teachers to track growth.

Schools can determine how successful teachers are able to grow their students and whether students themselves are growing. It's great that the test is different for every student based on their abilities.

NWEA Assessments review by Danielle H.
Danielle H.

"Growth and Data with NWEA"

What do you like best?

I like that I can pull up reports that show the breakdown of data for all students.

What do you dislike?

Some parts of the platform are not so intuitive and harder to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please consider providing sufficient training to users and explain how to generate reports to maximize your use of this product.

Our county is able to populate meaningful reports and data from the NWEA Assessment platform. Administering the test through this platform is rather simple overall. You do need training on some of the nuances of the program. The platform makes it pretty independent for the administrator. The main benefit of this platform are the generated reports though.

NWEA Assessments review by Mallory M.
Mallory M.

"Great for showing student growth"

What do you like best?

I like that RIT scores are easy for students and teachers to see growth from assessment to assessment.

What do you dislike?

The adaptive testing sometimes gives students questions to are so difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure computer browsers are up to date. It is difficult for students who have fine motor difficulties to click and drag on some features.

Benefits have been that it has made tracking growth a lot easier and gathering normative data. The problems we have had involve difficulties with computers and managing student use.

NWEA Assessments review by Edward C.
Edward C.

"Great Assessment Information"

What do you like best?

This assessment platform is excellent with timely reporting of student data. The data has the ability to track students over a period of time. Goal setting opportunities and customized learning is one of the highlights of this assessment platform.

What do you dislike?

There are few things I dislike about NWEA MAP. Over the past six year, NWEA continues to evolve and improve their product.

We are able to pinpoint student educational needs with this program.

NWEA Assessments review by Dave H.
Dave H.

"MAP testing - easy to administer and great data"

What do you like best?

We now doing web based testing and things work flawlessly. The ease of administration (setting up tests and proctoring the session) is great. Even teachers who are late adopters have found the web based version of the test easy to handle.

What do you dislike?

The tests seem to always take longer to complete than the company recommends.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If data is your thing, NWEA does it really well. Spend some time diving into their website and the reports they offer along with the science they use to support it and you'll see that their claims are well supported.

We are now able to collect and track a variety of student data over a long period of time.

NWEA Assessments review by Katie M.
Katie M.

"Standardized assessment platform that can be used for short-cycle assessments"

What do you like best?

The best thing about this is that it is scored instantly and provides a thorough look into students' abilities.

What do you dislike?

Students are subjected to too many standardized tests already, and NWEA takes a very long time to administer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider how long it takes to administer this test.

Short cycle assessments are required in my state, and NWEA provides a profile for each student with what knowledge they know vs. where they need to go next.

NWEA Assessments review by Administrator in Fishery
Administrator in Fishery

"NWEA review"

What do you like best?

I love that the program provides data driven analysis of students’ strengths and weaknesses.

What do you dislike?

The ease of use, the loading of reports, the process to receive the results of one student.

It provides a universal screener that can be used across the district.

NWEA Assessments review by Shannon B.
Shannon B.

"Great information"

What do you like best?

Fantastic data that is aligned to state standards and easy for parents to understand

What do you dislike?

It's a clunky program, and should be much easier to set up student profiles, roll over to new semesters, etc. All tasks and data really should be no more than 2 clicks.

Accountability to parents and other stakeholders

NWEA Assessments review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"NWEA"

What do you like best?

NWEA overall had a platform that was easy to navigate. Students were able to test login quickly and as a school we are able to have flexibility testing schedule due the ease of the test. Lockdown browser worked well and the ability to create a test session was also easy.

What do you dislike?

When student did not appear in list it was cumbersome to create the student and make sure they were in "Awaiting Student" category. The Action drop down menu was not always clear (it would be helpful to perhaps be able to hover over each action and get a quick note on when to use or function)

As a school there are not business problems that we deal with - more how to serve our students well and be sure teachers and students have the technology and instructions to use it.

NWEA Assessments review by Shannon T.
Shannon T.

"I use NWEA three times each year to access student growth in math and reading."

What do you like best?

I like that this program varies question to find a true level of students' current achievement and understanding.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that this program does not automatically lockdown on iPads.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It was very helpful to watch the training videos that show how to set-up and monitor tests.

This program allows us to set goals for students based upon their level of understanding at the beginning of each year. It also helps us to determine if our programs are working to help students grow.

"teacher"

What do you like best?

It adjusts to students as they are working and gives a good idea of where they are in need of further instruction. The reports break down the results into usable bits.

What do you dislike?

It is very long for younger students and they struggle taking it. It could be more visibly pleasing to younger kids.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to thoroughly prepare students for the actual test taking time. It is lengthy and students will need stamina.

This provides a standardized measure of where students start the year and end the year.

NWEA Assessments review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Potential to be great"

What do you like best?

I like that the test provide resources and tools on certain questions and not all.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like the fact that it allows testers to just skip through the problems

We are using the nwea to help collect data on our students and how it correlates to state standards

NWEA Assessments review by Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education
Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"We use this at our school to test student progress."

What do you like best?

I like that it gives the students a variety of questions, and requires them to think outside the box. It's challenging, but not so much that it discourages students.

What do you dislike?

The test can be much, much too long. So many questions all at once can really wear the students out, or even discourage them from trying their best on the test. I can see this with students of all ability levels.

We needed a way to check the student's progress multiple times a year so that we could determine their specific needs.

"MAP review"

What do you like best?

Collect needed information easily and displays it in a way that assists in student data collection. It helps me as a teacher to see progress that helps drive my direction for individual students as well as class instruction.

What do you dislike?

One more thing for me to do outside of being a teacher!

It guides our decisions as an individual teacher and in group meetings about grade levels. It has helped us work as team members to support each other and gets discussions on what our future goals are regarding instruction.

NWEA Assessments review by Administrator in Law Practice
Administrator in Law Practice

"Personalized assessments for students "

What do you like best?

Allows me to gauge my camper' abilities in an adaptive manner that a counts for their own individual abilities.

What do you dislike?

Tests are far too long, lose the students attention span easily

Recommendations to others considering the product

Prepare your students for a long endeavour

No need to administer the same test to all

NWEA Assessments review by User

"NWEA testing"

What do you like best?

The students enjoyed being on the computer versus paper pencil

What do you dislike?

boring to students after a few times and some after few questions - they lacked motivation and excitement to succeed

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do not have any recommendations - we are now using SBAC which I believe is still part of NWEA

I am an educator - so this helped us level of knowledge for students

NWEA Assessments review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Student centered assessment"

What do you like best?

Our youngest children were able to complete this assessment very independently.

What do you dislike?

There were a few technical issues with the screen freezing.

These assessments valid our curriculum and the benefits to the children.

"MAP"

What do you like best?

The program is easy for the kids to use and they don't seem to mind using it. The students have no problem navigating the site.

What do you dislike?

Getting the tests set up can be time consuming and when you have multiple students that is frustrating.

None

Learning about NWEA Assessments?

* We monitor all NWEA Assessments reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare NWEA Assessments to Similar Solutions