OmegaT

3.2

OmegaT is a computer-assisted translation tool written in the Java programming language.

Work for OmegaT?

Learning about OmegaT?

OmegaT Reviews

Showing 10 OmegaT reviews
OmegaT review by Bartosz M.
Bartosz M.

"A good basic help in simple translations"

What do you like best?

You can set up your projects quickly and use *.odt files.

The standard line-by-line translation is more or less sufficient but sometimes breaks longer sentences, especially if they use different formatting.

What do you dislike?

The complicated plugin settings. I usually end up not using any extensions and wasting the theoretical power of this tool.

It's difficult to get used to the interface and OmegaT's mechanism of work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to prepare for a battle to get to know OmegaT - it takes some time to get used to it - it's not intuitive.

I can translate my projects quickly, line by line. It's efficient, so I don't waste time.

It's a good tool to start your translation, but you'll end up editing your translation using different software.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about OmegaT
OmegaT review by Marco C.
Marco C.

"Nifty and powerful multiplatform translation tool"

What do you like best?

I've been a SDL Trados user for many years, since I decided, together with my business partner, to move to open-source software. OmegaT is a very stable program: I've been using it for many years and I've experienced just 2 or 3 crashes, mainly caused by lack of resources of my system. OmegaT is very fast, with lots of advanced features. The greatest proof of appreciation is the fact that I've based my professional life on it. I use it on a daily basis to earn my living as a technical translator. A key feature for me and my company is the "team project" feature, that allows several translators to work together on a project in real time.

What do you dislike?

In a word: nothing. Of course there are a few missing features, such as a "status" field for each translation unit, but I know from the user forum that they're working on it. New versions are regularly released, so it's quite likely that in a few months from now the software will be even more complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend not to stop on the surface. The GUI of OmegaT might be not top-notch, but that's because it's essential and tries not to become the bloatware that many other cat tools have become.

I'm using OmegaT as my standard computer-aided translation tool in my daily business as a technical translator. Being open-source and multiplatform has given me 2 main advantages: I'm free from a proprietary license, so I can use the program on as many computers I want, and I'm not bound to a specific OS, I can use OmegaT on Mac, Windows and Linux exactly the same.

What Computer-Assisted Translation solution do you use?

OmegaT review by Charles Bowen S.
Charles Bowen S.

"Almost perfect, but..."

What do you like best?

This translator is very useful and reliable, I use it as my daily-translation tool, and sometimes as my professional-translation tool. It's fast, accurate, and has a huge vocab library.

What do you dislike?

This program is lack of real-life experience, you sure can trust it translate important files for you, but daily-life is a little too "dictionary", And the word report system's responding is a little slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program has amazing accuracy and many features others don't have. It's cloud and go live feature are appreantly, very tempting.

It can translate business files and resumes with professional languages, with high accuracy.

OmegaT review by Administrator in Translation and Localization
Administrator in Translation and Localization

"Good tool, but poor UI"

What do you like best?

advanced QA options, high file compatibility, can be used on Linux

What do you dislike?

poor UI, and takes a lot of time to adopt and train inexperienced users

Recommendations to others considering the product

have thre right people implement it and train your users right and all should be fine

mostly processing of XLIFF files

OmegaT review by User in Internet

"Very good"

What do you like best?

- it runs on Macintosh and Windows

- the editor is easy to use

- it's free and open source

What do you dislike?

- the folder system requires some practice

- some file types are not supported

Translation with a free software without having to spend a lot of money at the beginning.

OmegaT review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"A good CAT for beginners and for those wanting more flexibility"

What do you like best?

It's clean, fast, light, easy to use. Its windows are intuitive and easy to configure.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to work with bi-columned files. If you open a sdlxiff, using a filter, you can't see what is already translated in the file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. It's free and amazing.

As a translator, I find it a good CAT Tool. I use it for some jobs, because it manages TMs easily and seamlessly.

OmegaT review by User

"2 Thumbs Up"

What do you like best?

It's a very useful and reliable translator and is a tool I use often both for personal and business. It's fast accurate, easy to use and contains a large library.

What do you dislike?

The folder system is not a user friendly as I would like and it takes time to figure it out. Also, some files types are not supported.

Ability to translate both business and personal documents quickly and accurately.

OmegaT review by Maurizio V.
Maurizio V.

"Good, but can be better"

What do you like best?

Easy access to Translation memory and search fuzzies

What do you dislike?

Don't like layout and it has too big size for my old pc

I am able to work faster

OmegaT review by David L.
David L.

"Translator"

What do you like best?

I can translate my projects quickly, line by line. It's efficient

What do you dislike?

Nothing. It did everything I needed it too

Easily translate projects

OmegaT review by User in Translation and Localization
User in Translation and Localization

"Open source translation tool"

What do you like best?

This computer assisted translation (CAT) tool is a good option for those who can’t afford expensive software.

What do you dislike?

It’s a lot more basic and not as seamless as paid tools.

Being able to implement conputer assisted translation without the investment.

Learning about OmegaT?

* We monitor all OmegaT reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.