OmniFocus

Learning about OmniFocus?

OmniFocus Reviews

Ask OmniFocus a Question
Showing 30 OmniFocus reviews
OmniFocus review by Ryan M.
Ryan M.

"Best digital GTD system"

What do you like best?

The team at Omni Group is amazing. Their software is extremely robust, continually developed, and really well designed. I love the quick entry shortcut on the mac and on iOS. I use it all the time to jot down ideas for later. Then it makes it really easy to triage tasks later. If you are looking for the best GTD solution, you use a mac and iOS devices, then you should be using OmniFocus. It is well worth the money. Buy the app on every platform so your lists will be with you when you need them.

What do you dislike?

OmniFocus is a power user's friend. That said, some of the keyboard shortcuts can be hard to do or remember. Specifically getting to the notes section inside of a task. The only other complaint I have has to do with reviewing tasks. I wish it was easier to spread out the frequency for reviewing projects so they wouldn't all land on the same week. I know I can adjust how many weeks between reviews, but it's hard to have a high level view of which projects are going to get reviewed when.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need GTD software for yourself (not a team), use a Mac and iOS devices, I highly recommend OmniFocus.

Every time I have a project at work, I create an OmniFocus project and list out all the tasks that need to be done to finish the project. As I think of other things, it is really easy to add additional tasks. During my daily review, I can quickly look through my projects and see what I need to do the next day and set due dates on them. It is awesome.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about OmniFocus
OmniFocus review by David A.
David A.

"I've tried other products and I keep coming back to OmniFocus!"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature of OmniFocus is the "Forecast" view - I live in my daily/weekly forecast.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a "web" version for those rare times that I'm not at one of my personal devices that already has OmniFocus loaded on it. I wish it was a little more affordable so I could get my entire team to use it - and then have shared lists. But there's other tools for that too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need task management software or a to-do list solution that works with a team, this is not your best option. (Look at Basecamp, Trello and a variety of other options)

If you need a project management tool, this is also not your best option. (Look at OmniPlan)

If you simply want a simple to do list (not multiple lists, recurring rules, categories based on context/project/etc.), then use Apple Reminders or Google Tasks.

This is a robust tool, for personal task management.

Personal Task management. I need a place that I keep all my todos - not my inbox, not my calendar, not my notes - a specific place just for to do lists. OmniFocus has been my place for 7 years now.

What Task Management solution do you use?

OmniFocus review by Sara C.
Sara C.

"Great for getting things done...at a price"

What do you like best?

I like that its flexible and you can find your own way to use the various fields in a way that suits you. There are a lot of people who use Omnifocus and you can find a myriad of opinions online about how to use the many features available. Sync to a cloud or only to your local device, it's your choice depending on if you use it across multiple devices. Syncs reminders with ical and I like the dark option too.

What do you dislike?

It's very expensive compared to many similar products now available. To have to pay $40 or $60 for the mobile version when you have paid $40 or $80 for the desktop version is greedy IMO. You used to have to pay again if you wanted the iPad version but I'm not sure if this is still the case, best to check, don't assume you get it with the iPhone version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Become familiar with the Getting Things Done principle of working by David Allen to make the most of the app

Project management and productivity. Weekly reviews of projects are easy and ensure that tasks don't get forgotten.

OmniFocus review by Shirin E.
Shirin E.

"Amazing and beautiful way to capture data and to keep someone engaged through smooth interaction"

What do you like best?

Our forms are quite complex but since the questions are broken up with a smooth scrolling or "next page function" it makes the form seem less cumbersome. Also, everything looks really polished and professional.

What do you dislike?

Every once in awhile the typeform will not show itself on our squarespace website without a refresh. This maybe due to a cookie being on my test machine but I noticed it once in awhile. Not a huge issue overall and it's rare.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't need conditional forms you maybe able to start with their free tier. But creating forms and surveys is very easy so just give it a try and test the embed function on your sites.

We have clients that would like to ask for quotes without waiting for a phone call or back and forth emails. Typeform allows us to ask questions with conditions to allow us to figure out exactly what the client needs.

OmniFocus review by Tim R.
Tim R.

"A brilliant personal task manager"

What do you like best?

If you're into productivity, I can't recommend the Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology highly enough. If you like GTD, I can't recommend Omnifocus highly enough. It's a brilliant way of containing the multitudes of projects, actions and deadlines that make up your personal and work lives.

What do you dislike?

Omnifocus is ultimately a personal task manager. It doesn't do shared lists, and doesn't really speak to anyone outside of its own system. This is a feature to some, however. Ultimately, you are accountable to the actions you take on, and there's value in having a hermetically sealed vault of all your responsibilities that no one else can alter.

OF helps me juggle multiple domains of responsibility, see projects through to completion, and methodically review the status of projects to ensure I don't drop the ball.

OmniFocus review by User

"What would I do without Omnifocus?"

What do you like best?

Omnifocus is my second brain - maybe my first. Everything I need to do is in here. It is a fantastic "central repository" that has excellent tools for triaging your tasks, and finding what you need (and can!) do at any given moment.

What do you dislike?

Search could be improved. In setting up perspectives, you can only search for one term, which is limiting. Multiple contexts and reminders beyond simple defer/due dates would be nice to have as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is for personal project management, and it's heavy duty - you have to invest some time into setup, but it is absolutely worth it.

Keeping myself on track! The best part of Omnifocus, in my opinion, is the defer dates and contexts - if I can't do something (based on location, tools, or time) then I don't have to see it. This makes my to do list so much more manageable

OmniFocus review by Jonathan R.
Jonathan R.

"Best task manager "

What do you like best?

I like how it enables me to organize the many task and projects I have to complete

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I can't set reminders or alerts to due task. I can only set due dates

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend time going through the tutorials, FAQs, and online videos to understand all of the unique features and customizations you can take advantage of.

It enables me to map out all the various steps of a project. As a result, I can complete low hanging fruit objectives and gain momentum

OmniFocus review by Diego Z.
Diego Z.

"OmniFocus is the best GTD application I have found so far"

What do you like best?

Great UI, easy to use once you get started, lots of integration options with other applications in macOS and iOS.

What do you dislike?

Mac- and iOS-specific, which is a deal breaker unless you live entirely within the ecosystem. It's an expensive application - hard to justify the price for both the desktop and iOS version.

I use OmniFocus to quickly capture all sorts of incoming "stuff", whether they are in an email, a web page, or my head. OmniFocus make it easy later to process them and determine any relevant next actions and put them in the corresponding context and projects.

OmniFocus review by Annie D.
Annie D.

"Has changed the way I run my life"

What do you like best?

All the customization that it allows you.

What do you dislike?

App crashes a lot but hasn't always and will probably be fixed

Recommendations to others considering the product

Experiment with it and then use it the best way that makes sense for you. There are lots of ways to structure it and you can make it as simple or complex as you wish. There are so many features I don't even know about that could brutalized so weak!

I don't miss small to do items and projects are streamlined much better. Helps me keep a balance in my work and my life.

OmniFocus review by User

"Comprehensive in most ways"

What do you like best?

It is a great outlining tool for personal project and task management. Syncs seamlessly and is rock solid. Great at capturing. Also great at project organization, with the ability to defer tasks and make projects sequential. Shows you only what you want.

What do you dislike?

Apple ecosystem only, no web interface. Can be difficult to do any big-picture horizons of focus management. Mobile apps are a little clunky at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Can be a bit expensive, but it is great for keeping all your stuff. But you have to be all in for it to work for you. Also, make liberal use of the mail drop feature when possible.

It’s great for implementing GTD at the ground level. Can be good for medium-scale daily planning.

OmniFocus review by Davina M.
Davina M.

"My go to project organizer"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about OmniFocus is the syncing between all my devices. Since the last upgrade I love the interface more and the new features like maps/location. I've been using OmniFocus for seven years and with upgrades was able to easily move my data because OmniFocus provides a server for backups and syncing. The interface also allows for great separation between projects, task and personal.

What do you dislike?

The cost is high but I can understand for all you get. I do wish that if you by the application for you computer that they provided the iPad and iPhone app for free. I also would like to use third party applications with OmniFocus like IFF for creating workflows.

I'm a developer so I primarily use OmniFocus for project management and creating development documents. The benefits I have noticed from using OmniFocus is planning and tracking this way allows me to focus more and stay organized and I know where to find my information.

OmniFocus review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Time intensive but powerful"

What do you like best?

Contexts are a very interesting way of providing another pivot on your tasks; it basically allows you to see which tasks are associated w/ a particular place or person, etc. I also like being able to rapidly create tasks in the Inbox - gives you the ability to do a brain dump and get it all documented in rapid succession. I also like being able to set a deferred date and forget about a task for a while.

What do you dislike?

Providing details for each task is a bit time intensive, but they try to simplify it. Things like adding a due date with a single click of a "+1 Day" button are good attempts at this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a complex set of tasks and projects that you work on, this can help you organize yourself. It might be too complex/detailed for many/most people I'd imagine.

Trying to get personal organization across a variety of products/projects that I manage. Using it primarily for personal task management. I've already noticed I am more sane knowing that most everything that I need to do (work-related at least) is in a single place.

OmniFocus review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Omnifocus as my Global Dashboard"

What do you like best?

Omnifocus offers strong flexibility in moulding it to all aspect of your personal and professional life. It's tight integration with MacOs offers users unique and efficiency that you won't able to find on other task management system. I really like the power of AppleScript and the automation that it offers to make your workflow seamless and second nature.

What do you dislike?

None. I have no complains except that I hope in the future that they will add a feature wherein users can access their content using a web browser.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Omnifocus is the most powerful Task Management Software that I have used in my life. It won't immediately going to have a magical impact in the way you manage your life, but it's tight integration with GTD methodologies and its ability to moulded to that principle makes it a very powerful and promising software to have. I can't imagine living without using this powerful tool.

Getting things done and making sure you are in the right path of achieving zen in your life.

OmniFocus review by Arran C.
Arran C.

"Good product but needs better integration"

What do you like best?

OmniFocus is good for quickly describing a bunch of stuff you need to get done.

What do you dislike?

Omnigraffle really fails for me on a bunch of levels.

Firstly the interface is pretty unintuitive, I really don't want to read through the documentation to figure out when I should use a project, vs sequential actions, parallel actions or folders.

The 'note' pane in the inspector is pretty basic, and offers no formatting options (or at least no obvious ones) to really describe the task.

It'd be great if OmniFocus integrated with Calendar and Reminders in a meaningful way, and could do location based alerts. Like i'm in San Francisco with customer X working on projects A, B, C, or i'm entering into meeting Y at 15:00 GMT-8, which tasks to I need to complete before then.

A large part of that could be solved if contexts autoswitched based on location, but they're just not smart enough currently.

There's also no options for sharing tasks with other people in a project. I get that it's meant to be more of a personal project management tool, than an actual project management tool, but there's times when this would be a really useful feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's really best to consider this as a personal time management tool, rather than a proper project management tool. In that context it works well even if it may feel a bit unfinished when using some features.

Time management

OmniFocus review by Jonas B.
Jonas B.

"Get total control of your life"

What do you like best?

Using OmniFocus to follow the GTD method is both a great experience in using their beautiful and simple app, but also to ease your brain from all the stuff you shouldn't need to worry about. Getting things done are awesome!

What do you dislike?

My biggest complaint is still the sync service, it slightly improves, but comparing to other apps this lacks speed and reliability in the sync process. Sometimes it feels you need to manually sync your devices which is a pain sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really get to know the GTD method before starting using the app. It might be a lot to get your mind around at first, but ones you do you will never want to go back!

I use this throughout my life, both personal and professionally. It helps me organize what things I need to do and focus on and helps me to always make sure I will finish projects I start on and do the stuff I promise people I would do.

OmniFocus review by Nicklas d.
Nicklas d.

"This is a life changing application"

What do you like best?

I've used a lot of todo lists and systems in the past, this is the only application that I've stuck with, day in, day out, for this amount of time. The ease of input combined with the advanced options for sorting, filing, repeating and flagging tasks is really great.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it's hard to find what you're looking for, unless you're looking in exactly the right place for it. As there are many options for how a list of tasks can be viewed, and many contexts to consider there's a bit of a learning curve involved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make full use of the trial, it's worth the cost.

OmniFocus allows you to stay productive as it enables you to always know what's next on the agenda. You can implement a full GTD methodology or roll your own style of task management, there's lots of flexibility there.

OmniFocus review by Consultant

"Best GTD tool available"

What do you like best?

The ability to define and quickly categorize tasks and integration with other tools like Mail make this indispensable. The built-in sync that allows connectivity to the iOS app is also extremely useful.

What do you dislike?

There is very little to dislike in this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to use the online synchronization database if you plan to use the iOS apps.

OmniFocus helps me stay organized but also focus on what's important. I drop tasks into the Inbox and review and sort them later. This allows me to keep track of important tasks yet not forget those with lower priority at a later time.

OmniFocus review by Christopher H.
Christopher H.

"Simply the Best"

What do you like best?

Everything. This is the most powerful to do list manager in the world. I use about 10% of its full potential and I still think it's worth more than I pay for it. It syncs perfectly, it has intuitive keyboard shortcuts that make to-do list creation easy, it allows parallel or sequential projects, it allows projects within projects, it uses contexts so that you only worry about tasks while you can do them, and that's only scratching the surface of what Omnifocus can do.

What do you dislike?

The software is very powerful, and at times it can feel like by not learning more about it, I'm throttling myself, but it isn't very easy to learn beyond the base level of what it can do without a certain amount of knowledge or dedication. It also offers so many options that early on it can be overwhelming to figure out exactly how you want it set up, especially for people with less traditional tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you need it, it's not helpful if you're only looking for simple to-do lists, that makes it no longer worth the price. Don't pay for features you won't use.

I use this for my entire life, from my morning to-do's to my major projects, and I've realized how quickly and effectively Omnifocus can scale with me and leave me feeling more confident in my next steps, rather than feeling a need to scale back.

OmniFocus review by Tim M.
Tim M.

"Keeps me organized in an otherwise chaotic atmosphere!"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to break down projects into chunks that are easier to complete in steps. It keeps my brain clear of everything bouncing around in it.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app is too slow to be useful, and the Apple Watch app is especially useless.

The owner and I are much more productive than ever before thanks to the way to-do items are listed and organized.

OmniFocus review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"Best Way to do GTD"

What do you like best?

OmniFocus is a very sophisticated piece of software, but it still is very easy for me to use. I use it for any kind of list I need to keep track of. Obviously I use it for normal tasks like what I have to accomplish for my projects at work, but I also use to to keep track of what groceries I need to buy and even what questions to ask our doctor next time we have an appointment.

What do you dislike?

It's fairly expensive. I just checked and I have a pro version. That's because I bought OmniFocus 1 and got a free upgrade to OmniFocus 2 when it came out. If I was buying today I'd probably stick with the Standard version. There is also extra cost for the iOS version that is almost as expensive as the desktop version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is really nice, but there are a lot of good task tracking apps out there that are much less expensive. If you're doing GTD this is probably the best tool for it.

I really needed a single place to keep track of everything that I needed to remember and tasks to do. I like that my tasks sync across my devices and the apps work really well.

OmniFocus review by G2 Crowd User in Education Management
G2 Crowd User in Education Management

"Omnifocus is an absolutely essential app."

What do you like best?

While it may be dense, and hard to get to know, when you master Omnifocus, you can be absolute ninja, especially when it comes to the GTD system. There's no more powerful way to manage tasks--especially now that it includes automation!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it dense, and it takes a lot of intitial setup. Once you get past that intitial setup though, it's worth it. This is an app that you really have to put to work, but once you put it to work, it's a powerhouse.

Keeping tracking of all of the many things that I need to do, when they're due, and when the best time to work on them is!

OmniFocus review by Rebecca B.
Rebecca B.

"Task management"

What do you like best?

Great software for implementing GTD approach to task management. Allows for organization of tasks into "projects" and "contexts."

What do you dislike?

Lacking some fine grained control over notifications, especially around location based notifications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It takes a bit of time on the front end to get set up, but it's worth it once you have a system up and running.

Organization of tasks

OmniFocus review by Jeanette B.
Jeanette B.

"OmniFocus is amazing."

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can enter projects and tasks on my computer and access them through a cloud-based (free) server on a very intuitive graphical interface on my iPad. The iPad interface, in particular, is extremely user-friendly. Another feature I really like is the "Context" field you can assign to tasks. I can filter by this field when I am out in my car, or have access only to my phone, and easily find the tasks that I can accomplish while in this context.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that I cannot use OmniFocus on a PC. But other then that, I don't have any complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to start organizing things one way, only to find another way might be better. This means deleting or archiving projects and starting all over. But it's so easy to set-up, starting over isn't burdensome, it's actually fun.

OmniFocus allows me to organize the work I have to do in any format or system that works for me. There's no "one" correct way to use it. It's flexible and easy. For me, it allows me to stay on top of due dates and consider my "next strategic action" to keep things moving forward and also to keep things simple and uncomplicated so I don't get too overwhelmed with my workload.

OmniFocus review by Norm C.
Norm C.

"Keeps my life organized"

What do you like best?

A solid platform that I can rely on. Omnifocus is on my laptop and phone and is always there to show me what's next.

What do you dislike?

Can take time to set up but is worth it. Would be nice to have a web based version.

As a someone in a nonprofit I wear many hats. It would be very difficult to keep everything straight without a trusted system like Omnifocus.

OmniFocus review by Frank M.
Frank M.

"Getting things done - on multiple devices"

What do you like best?

I'm using OmniFocus on Mac, iPad, and iPhone. Here I've got one powerful tool to organize all my private, professional, and semi-professional tasks in multiple ways. There are multiple ways how the tasks are presented and they are parts of projects and contexts. The latter can be defined by the user or by locations. Dates can be set very flexible - beginnings, ends, repeatings in multiple ways.

What do you dislike?

Syncing uses the OmniGroup server and sometimes needs some time after opening the app/application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simply try it, it's worth it.

OmniFocus helps me to handle all my different tasks in a well organized way.

OmniFocus review by User in Higher Education

"Nice productivity app"

What do you like best?

This app is by far the best GTD app I have ever used. It has the beautifully designed and super-easy-to-use interface, and an incredible high level of integration with a Mac computer. It automatically links to your iCal, and putting things in/finding things undone/get them done and check is very easy.

What do you dislike?

Prices pretty high. When I first bough this app, the iOS version and Mac version charges separately, which ended up with a big figure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you feel like it's what you can and are willing to pay for, get it! It will not let you down.

College student scheduling/Anti-procrastination

OmniFocus review by G2 Crowd User in Higher Education
G2 Crowd User in Higher Education

"Beautiful Task Manager"

What do you like best?

The UI really makes me want to use this app.

What do you dislike?

How some features are hard to comprehend. Like perspectives, I don't quite know what to d with them. Also the lack of collaboration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are self employed and Mac only I highly recommend giving OmniFocus a try. While the lack of cross platform is a bit of a downer I think that is overall made up by the knowledge of macOS by the Omni team.

Because I like the app it helps motivate me to do my tasks however mundane they are.

OmniFocus review by Diego T.
Diego T.

"Is more than a to-do-list app, it gives you the simplicity of one with the power of a PM tool"

What do you like best?

- The simplicity and user-centric interface

- iCal integration

- The Sync feature of data in the cloud

What do you dislike?

- The price

- Integrations

- Lack of web version

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ideal for simple Project Management and if you want a single tool for calendar and to-do's

- Project Management

- Time Management

OmniFocus review by User in Hospital & Health Care

" Great productivity tool"

What do you like best?

Easy to record tasks, group them, categorize them, assign a medium (e.g. can be done offline, can be done on phone) so you can maximize productivity under any circumstances and only worry about the right work at the right time.

What do you dislike?

Mobile app is pretty expensive. Synchronization did not always work perfectly well.

Employee productivity, time/ task management.

OmniFocus review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"Best solution to organize your life"

What do you like best?

Omnifocus is a powerful program that lets you sympify your life in an organized manner.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are a few to many steps.

I am able to de cutter my mind by placing all of my thoughts in omnifocus and sort it into the correct project for the right time

Learning about OmniFocus?

* We monitor all OmniFocus reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.