On-Screen Takeoff®

On-Screen Takeoff®

Quick bid estimating software and on-screen takeoff software for the construction industry.

Work for On-Screen Takeoff®?

Learning about On-Screen Takeoff®?

On-Screen Takeoff® Reviews

Ask On-Screen Takeoff® a Question
Showing 76 On-Screen Takeoff® reviews
On-Screen Takeoff® review by Aaron G.
Aaron G.

"On Point"

What do you like best?

On screen takeoff allows for quick takeoff that's highly accurate and intuitive. You can tell that it was made with contractors in mind because they have a variety of takeoff types and can be highly customization. Layers and area options increase the amount of information readily accessible and reduces the amount of time needed later to quickly answer questions. Lastly, the fact that you can create a database of items, allows for uniformity which makes team collaboration and hand offs a breeze.. You also have options such as searching for markings and typical groups that increase the accuracy while reducing the manhours for takeoff.

What do you dislike?

If you plan on using a program like Citrix to use the program, good luck. OST does not play nicely and will either run extremely slow or crash. It's also frustrating that you can't designate sub areas: for condo projects, you must make the decision of wanting quantities per floor or by areas on the floor (units, rooms etc.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest the time to create a database for OST items. The true value of the software (other than more accurate takeoff) is uniformity. It allows you to have teams review takeoff or quickly find answers and this is best done when there are standards in place to guide the takeoff process.

Estimating, takeoff

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about On-Screen Takeoff®
On-Screen Takeoff® review by Earl W.
Earl W.

"OST"

What do you like best?

OST makes my life very simple. It is a huge upgrade from having to do take-off on paper. This software allows my company to take off every single scope we perform and quantify it how we need to. The ability to link with Quickbid and price is amazing.

What do you dislike?

There are a few options that I would like to see added to the software. The ability to perform take-off and measurements on the 2nd window would help tremendously. Also, if the measuring tool was able to go to the 1/8" that would be beneficial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program will help you maximize your production with its ease of use. Their support team is the best I have ever worked with.

OST is the best take-off program that I have used in the drywall industry. It gives us the ability to take off our quantities for every aspect of our company. With this software, I am able to very quickly review my field personnel's quantities to make sure our amount of material is close to each other. This saves us on busts while sitting up our budgets and ordering our materials.

What Construction Suites solution do you use?

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Joseph B.
Joseph B.

"On-Screen is a useful tool for conceptual design levels on projects"

What do you like best?

It is simple to upload drawings and sketches into, set a scale, and start pulling together basic quantities. It is useful for high-level designing where rough areas/quantities are needed. Exporting to Excel is also very useful to base estimates from.

What do you dislike?

The floating licenses, file back-ups, and the export product into excel is often cumbersome. As stated, the program is great for high-level estimating which only requires basic quantities. Some details (Different wall types, formwork calculations for columns, etc. must be externally calculated. This is acceptable if the end user is the same as the individual that's doing the quantities. It can be hard to trust otherwise.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this software as a great tool for quick take-off from any form that can be scanned in

The program offers simple quantity take-off which can be organized, and formatted to meet many needs of our company. It is primarily used for conceptual design, or in instances of rough-estimating. We have put in a notebook sheet with a couple of sketches, which we in turn were able to put together a list of several basic quantities which we could use as basis for one of our estimating products.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Divyanshu  P.
Divyanshu P.

"The best takeoff software in the market."

What do you like best?

This is the best takeoff software on the market despite high pricing. It is very user-friendly and the way this software is designed is simply amazing. There is no problem while doing take-offs because of an immense number of features and detailing provided to you. I have tried various other take-off software but this is the best.

What do you dislike?

Slightly high on pricing but I can not really complain about it knowing the features and amazing software I get to use. Nothing I like dislike about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can afford it, go for it. Best take-off software in the market.

I use on-screen takeoff for everyday use such as performing takeoffs, using project management tools and much more.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Bryan W.
Bryan W.

"Awesome building construction calculator!"

What do you like best?

On-Screen is great at helping us calculate needed supplies for construction projects, to the point we use this software almost exclusively for this purpose! It has lots of tools in place to make the often monotonous counting go faster, and still be accurate.

What do you dislike?

As I sit here and write this, I honestly really can't think of anything except it's time consuming; but when considering the accuracy it gives versus doing a take-off by hand, it's well worth it!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for something more accurate that performing a take-off by hand, check out this software!

On-Screen is our almost-exclusive tool used to calculate supplies needed for construction projects. It's accuracy is more spot-on than performing a take-off by hand, and well worth the investment!

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Luke P.
Luke P.

"Clear and organized format for takeoff"

What do you like best?

The format is intuitive and easy to use. I appreciate how quickly I can create conditions, as well as navigating though the planset. I've found that having the plans uploaded for takeoff later in the building phase also helps the Project management team evaluate change orders quickly.

What do you dislike?

There are some features that I've found to much of a hassle to use or try and learn. Grouping, the adjustment of sets of takeoff quanties, and there is funcionaliyt for creating a bid, but i havnt used it

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you try it out and verify that it meets your needs before purchace.

Creating a document that clearly shows all the different conditions and values makes it much easier to communicate with the project team.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by christian M.
christian M.

"Fast Simple Estimating"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use this software and how quickly I can work up an estimate on a concrete bid. I am at another company now and our software takes me twice the time to do the similar amount of work. I also like the ease of sharing the produced information. This is extremely important to me to be able to easily and quickly share estimate information with other members of my team.

What do you dislike?

My biggest hold up with OST was the price, I still think it was worth it and with my time savings it probably comes out to be about the same as with other cheaper software but it is a significant investment compared to many of the other options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it would be best suited for the larger commercial projects while small to mid size residential projects could be done just as easily and for a fraction of the cost with other software.

When using OST typically I would be working on multiple estimates at the same time, OST allows me to easily organize and access these various projects as well as complete the estimates in a timely manner that saves me bundles of time. I also have found that I get less errors in the end as it is very easy to see what items I have already covered and what I am still needing to get a take off for.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Hilary H.
Hilary H.

"Easy to manage bids"

What do you like best?

I like that you can view your images while performing take offs without having to manually go back and forth between two different programs like we were before. It's easy to manage many different projects at once. I also like that you can send and receive projects with other users of the software. It saves so much time overall and can automatically calculate area and volumes based on the attach drawings. These built-in calcuators not only save time, but are extremely accurate and efficient too. They'll prevent you from accidentally typing wrong info when doing manual take-offs.

What do you dislike?

There is a little bit of a learning curve to get going, but there are plenty of tutorials to assist you along the way. There is also a help center right in the software. Sometimes have issues displaying PDFs, but that could simply be user error. I've had that issue in other programs so I very well could be doing something wrong.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it if your primary job is to manage take-offs of many large projects. If you work in a small firm, you can probably get away with using Excel and your own created spreadsheet for take offs.

This program helps solve the problem of manually creating a take-off in Microsoft Excel. We used to manually create a spreadsheet, but this program sets up for take-offs SO much easier.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Owen B.
Owen B.

"easy to use program to do simple takeoffs "

What do you like best?

the Thing i like best about On-Screen Takeoff is that it is so easy to use. when I was first introduced to the program about a year ago it only took me a few hours to get the hang of the program.

What do you dislike?

one thing i do not like about On-Screen is how the PDF uploads into the program. It uploads in black and white and almost seems grainy. If you have to do takeoffs on different regions indicated by different colors, when the PDF uploaded into On-Screen it is very hard to see the different sections.

I am using On-Screen to confirm volumes given to me on bid forms. also I use it to confirm quantity of material so that I can get an accurate price when bidding a job.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by User

"One - Year with On Screen Takeoff"

What do you like best?

The program's ability to store style sets makes my estimating very fast and easy. I work with a bunch of typical blueprints, and having the ability to click on a style set for offices / hotels / condos makes the whole process so quick and easy.

What do you dislike?

The fact that it doesn't support working via VPN. The program must be installed locally. After many hours of discussions with the company as well as IT, it ultimately was determined it wont work via VPN. In this age, that is a must and may be why we stop using it when our license is up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really take the training courses offered when they're selling you the product. Our first user learned on his own and although he knows the program better than anyone else in our office, he still learned a lot from the classes. I would suggest having a week or two with the program and then taking the course purely so it isnt all new and all at once. If you jump right in to the classes, you will be overwhelmed.

We are able to bridge a generation gap with this software. We had our younger estimators start learning the software via the classes and were able to teach the senior estimators how it worked. Since then, we have switched our whole estimating team over and are able to bid about twice as many projects as before. It is amazing.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Ammon D.
Ammon D.

"Taking the guesswork out of Estimating"

What do you like best?

The ability to complete a takeoff and integrate revisions to the plans using the 'overlay' feature makes this program worthwhile and the added speed and takeoff compiling features are all an added bonus.

What do you dislike?

There are minute restrictions in what the capabilities of the exporting of information may face but nothing worth abandoning ship over.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it. Allow OST to show you how much time and money it can save you in the long run. I promise that if you do you will find your ability to review revisions, takeoff new jobs and price them effectively will increase exponentially as your bid times drop. There just isn't a better way to do takeoffs now.

We are able to stream line our processes from original pricing to final pricing using our shop drawings which creates large chunks of saved time that frees up our estimating team to begin work on the next job.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Joseph P.
Joseph P.

"Right on time when we needed it most"

What do you like best?

-The overlay is good, It helps me keep track the variation works. So many drawings issued sometimes. With this, You can determined your risk exposure

- It gives me confidence on my take-off especially when you need to go back say 3- months after you submit you bid. You can easily trace your take-off in other words,

- Multiple take off can be done, saving me lots of time when under pressure

What do you dislike?

-If I used the Typical group, sometimes it takes time to calculate when summing up the quantities

-It does not give me a warning if I'm reaching the recommended data base size of 40K KB, so you see error or will stppped working on the screen. Need to compact /repair.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommendable so far.

- You build a better bill of quantities & give me a better confidence. Efficiency & accuracy is the benefit & I guess more profit & If build correctly on the site

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Shayne P.
Shayne P.

"Data, and using On-Screen Takeoff"

What do you like best?

Using OST, think of a project as a OST Database. One per Project, now you can modify a base OST Database(MS Access Database), copy and rename. You could add tables and fields to the MS Access Database to fit your needs.

You can also export to CSV, Excel and why not xml(disabled)

You can have access to OST remotely, using license manager.

What do you dislike?

It all depends on how you use the data. Allow user to modify data in the Takeoff Tab, ie. Notes - BidTakeoff.BidContidion.Notes for example. It asked for 40 characters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check your options, but always think how do I get the data.

Quantity takeoffs, and the data that I get.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Tyler F.
Tyler F.

"Great Takeoff/ Bid Software"

What do you like best?

This software is so powerful when paired with Quick Bid 4. So easy to use and can be highly customized to make your experience easier and really cuts down on the time spent estimating and with the ease of use you can make more accurate takeoffs.

What do you dislike?

I have a minimal list of dislikes, some of the mouse movements and moving features are user friendly but I feel they could use some improving.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend users of On Screen Takeoff to purchase Quick Bid 4. The connected bids are so easy to manage and makes estimating and providing proposals seemless.

We have been able to provide more accurate quotes using OST. The ease of use and the ability to connect to a powerful bid software instantly makes it steps further than our old method of re-entering all the takeoff data into an excel file.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Steve C.
Steve C.

"Quantity Survey Software for Estimators"

What do you like best?

Very intuitive. Easy to teach to new employees and/or technology resistant employees. Lots of bells and whistles make customization easy for each user. Easy to export all information to other users. Can export all drawings, take-off, legend, etc. Information interfaces with Quick Bid (Obviously), but can also be exported to excel. Once take-off is completed, worksheet tab allows for quick compilation of OOM/Budget pricing

What do you dislike?

Updates have sometimes been buggy. The authorization code process is still a bit of a process after updates are employed. almost to much redundancy, customization. could probably be simplified without sacrifice. More take off patterns for linear and ares conditions would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent software. definitely worth the expense.

Quick, easy take-off. Eliminates potential human error (i.e. the software does not transpose numbers). Less experienced estimators can perform a take-off and export to senior staff- fully modifiable/correctable upon receipt.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Terry S.
Terry S.

"Any Day above the Green, Is a Great Day!!"

What do you like best?

The ability to document what you are taking off in order to provide back-up of what you plan to furnish on a project, listing sound and fire ratings, etc. and to help the General Contractor to clarify to the owner, what he is buying.

What do you dislike?

Computers and their software programs are not always as stable as we would like and with the usual user error that comes from hurrying on bid day it seems that the program always has a new problem on those days.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With other Companies I have looked at other systems and bought other systems. None are perfect, nor was the program I built on an early spreadsheet, but I feel that for the money OCS provides a good solid program for a reasonable price and has a great team of experts to provide support when you need them.

An income.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Stacey F.
Stacey F.

"Very good software "

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use. It is very simple to have it up and running quickly however there are many steps that you can take further if you want to get into more detail. The support is awesome as well.

What do you dislike?

There are a couple of bugs that makes the screen move on me when I start to have a lot of conditions. There probably is a fix I just haven't gotten it done yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn right away.

accurate and fast takeoffs. Also, printing for the job to have a colored takeoff of the plan has been an added benefit.

"On-Screen Takeoff Review"

What do you like best?

I like that the product is easy to use and is very functional.

What do you dislike?

Most of my plans are in color and your product only does black and white. My sewer lines are green and when they transfer over to your file the green lines don't show up at all in black and white so I am always guessing on the sewer lines. This made me go to another takeoff software that allows me to view in color (STACK). I like your product better but I need to view the take off in color!

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can not view you plans in color. Only Black and White.

I like the ease of the product but I have to use another takeoff software to view in color. So no benefits with your product until I can do my view in color.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Steve A.
Steve A.

"Quantity takeoffs with breakdowns"

What do you like best?

Almost all quantities of materials can be taken off by On Screen Takeoff. The ability to define different areas and floors is a great time saver. When used with Quick Bid, the time saved by having stocking list, vendor quotes, and labor and material breakdowns is invaluable.

What do you dislike?

Some drop down boxes could be larger to read more information.

We are able to track the cost of the jobs at an early stage insure there are no problems with scope and/or using the wrong materials.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Jacob F.
Jacob F.

"Easy to learn program"

What do you like best?

I like how fast I can get a job taken off. I can look at more jobs in a weeks time.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how easy it is to make a mistake. But that goes hand - in - hand with how quick it is to get a job done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch all of their training videos and be ready to have time to learn a new program.

We can get way more jobs, just by availability to look at more blueprints in a day.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Ron W.
Ron W.

"Used since 2003 and Quick Bid Since 1997"

What do you like best?

The ability to make drawings for clients to show better ways to build details and use colors to show changes from origional detail

What do you dislike?

Groups instead of typical areas. Program wants to recalulate the entire bid for even an small change and you have to wait on the computer to finish all the calulating in Quick Bid. You can't move the takeoff from one page to another without problems

Recommendations to others considering the product

To get the best use, Quick Bid should be purchased along with OST and get training

Using drawing tools to provide details that have not been done by architect or structural engineer.

By drawing it for them we are seeing faster response times in getting them approved.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Aaron E.
Aaron E.

"Excellent program for quick and easy takeoffs"

What do you like best?

The overall flow of using On-Screen Takeoff is great. I am able to easily duplicate conditions and pages, copy and paste similar takeoffs to other pages, and break-up all of my final takeoff quantities with zones to make everything very easy to add into my estimate.

What do you dislike?

Previously you could not copy and paste zones, but that has been fixed due to a recent update!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great program that can help your company achieve your business goals. I highly recommend On-Screen Takeoff for anyone in the construction industry that performs estimates.

We are performing very accurate takeoffs to help our estimating department deliver bids and proposals in an efficient and accurate manner.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Internal Consultant in Construction
Internal Consultant in Construction

"Project Manager for mid-sized drywall steel framing company"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use simple to train new estimators on. We have two fairly new estimators who are turning out good take offs that the Sr. Estimators can help with pricing to send out more bids.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to transfer overlay plans and take off to the Surface pros that the field supers use so that they can see it exactly the way our take off was done in the office.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would shop around as there maybe a better system more in tune with the needs of current day contracting we are having a little trouble getting our take-off info over to the field in a real usable manner.

Faster take-offs= more bids sent out. We are also exporting sold jobs to the Project managers once the plans are current to the contract set so the PMs can order material efficiently and hold the field crews accountable for only doing contract work.

User in Construction

"OnCenter is good but could be better"

What do you like best?

The ease of use for OST to do a take off is simple and understandable, putting you in control of what you need to do from job to job. Being able to email portions of the print details for clarifications is even better so there are no misunderstandings when asking about them.

What do you dislike?

That OST and QB are two different programs and that they disconnect from each other causing lock ups or loss of information and if not checked periodically especially when finalizing a bid can be a MAJOR problem. When using the sequel data bases you have to make sure you are completely out of the bid/data base in order for someone else to access.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They should allow OST and QB to communicate better and offer support training especially when they have major updates that could really help estimators take offs. Drawing version tracking is a must have when updated prints change pricing, it would be great to see the evolution from set to set since General contractors are asking for more and more breakdowns for pricing especially from version to version. Sequel data base to share bids from estimator to estimator to work more fluently and not loose information or lock up.

Communication between office and field has improved, we are able to give them more information via what our take off as well as a better material breakdown as needed for locations and project in general for more accurate orders.

"Reviewing OnScreen Take-Off"

What do you like best?

The easy of use. It's simply to move, add and delete take-off. The support is great. The program rarely crashes. It saves automatically...as you go.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you can't turn on and off an individual condition. it must be given a different layer and then turning that layer off. I also with that annotation was available in the 2nd window. I wish I could give something a scale and dimension it in the 2nd view window without having to change pages in the main window. I could also find some usefulness with 4th quantity for a condition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch the training videos

Sharing information with subs. Quantifying project.s

"Assistant program manager"

What do you like best?

The program is decently user friendly, if I don't know how to do something, I can usually figure it out...that is the mark of a well built program in my opinion.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike most is the sales force that constantly pressures us when we need to upgrade or purchase something for OST, they tell us there is a limited time for X promotion, and it's always the case, that they can't help us without consent from a manager etc. if we miss a promotion it's our fault but we don't need a sales person hanging it over us in order to make the sale.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the standard in the construction industry, there is not a better product. Worth the investment.

We use OST to do all of our take off work and integrate with QuickBid. It has worked almost flawlessly.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Philip L.
Philip L.

"I use this everyday taking off jobs and using the program to bid them as well"

What do you like best?

It is quick and easy to create new conditions for every job and works well with bigger jobs when more conditions are needed.

What do you dislike?

The Square footage is always way off and is difficult to determine actual square footage of the job so we have to go through and hand count it to get a more accurate number.

It allows you to take what the jobs plans are calling for and put them all in one central location for easier access when we have to print or fix whatever is needed.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Kevin H.
Kevin H.

"Excellent"

What do you like best?

Speed and interaction with Quick Bid. The ability to print off plans with legends which help the field tremendously.

What do you dislike?

Lack of highlighter on View Window. I would like to see more options on the view window for ease of use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of use

Communication with field by giving copies of take off.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Jeremy G.
Jeremy G.

"Is there other takeoff software? I must have pushed them out of my mind."

What do you like best?

On Screen Takeoff is the most versatile takeoff software that I have ever had the pleasure of using. Constant updates and upgrades continue to keep OST on the forefront of the construction takeoff market.

Easily adaptable to whatever type of takeoff you need to do, from flooring to sheetrock to window treatments.

What do you dislike?

I do have issues between OST and it's partner program, QuickBid, from time to time, but those issues are usually avoidable with a little attention to detail.

We do all of our estimating using OnScreen Takeoff

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Jody B.
Jody B.

"Time Saving and Accuracy"

What do you like best?

Interruptions don't affect you. The software saves where you were interrupted and you can see your progress on screen.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far. If I was pushed I'd say the list of symbols available for takeoff could be increased.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the costs savings and storage problems of printing large quantities of A1 and A0 drawings, along with the time lost if you're interrupted doing a takeoff and have to re-check a whole drawing.

The accuracy and consistency of our estimating along with the savings in printing costs.

"Another Great Tool"

What do you like best?

On-Screen Takeoff allows me to accurately, and efficiently do takeoffs in a time efficient manor. As interruptions occur during takeoffs, it's simple to regroup and continue the takeoff, again saving time and money. Overall, just another great tool!

What do you dislike?

After using On-Screen Takeoff now for several years, the only thing I dislike is that you cannot change the color of the cursor as you are doing your takeoff. Sometimes this gets lost in the coloring/hatching as it sometimes blends in.

We can now see accurately our takeoff at a glance. It also allows for us to make changes in the takeoff as changes occur in a much simplified manor. On-Screen has greatly increased our overall efficiency and accuracy as an estimating department

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Kelsey L.
Kelsey L.

"On-Screen Takeoff"

What do you like best?

The integration with QuickBid for the ease of bidding process and accuracy.

What do you dislike?

How the crosshairs on the cursor are not available for all features within the take off

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it!

Turnaround time from receiving a bid to returning a bid price.

User in Construction

"Best Estimating Software Available"

What do you like best?

Being able to create multiple conditions in multiple areas to easily organize and sort costs. Creating new conditions is easy. There are many shortcuts to make take-off very fast.

What do you dislike?

I would like more features available in the view screen. Being able to dimension and label things in the view screen would be very helpful

Enables estimators to create accurate bids in a very short amount of time. When paired with QuickBid, pricing multiple scopes is quick and easy.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"Easy to learn and use"

What do you like best?

Auto load plans from the folder, no need to load one by one.

What do you dislike?

Overlay can only be used one image by one image, I always got revised plans in a set and have to do one by one by hand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's definitely easy to use and make your work nicer and easier.

Take-off quantities with different measures in one take-off, like measure area with 2nd measure quantity for length and 3rd for segment and quantities count.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Pete T.
Pete T.

"Higher profits"

What do you like best?

I never lose my place when interrupted. Areas & typical areas work great for SOV. Love that we also recently added quick bid! If you want to provide yourselfd and the field employees all the info needed to complete a profitable project, this combo is for you!

What do you dislike?

takes too long to load ( I have a large database I need to condense)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch all videos and network w/ others for shortcuts

\Accuracy, field uncertainty regarding scope

User in Construction

"Long-time power user, highly recommend this product "

What do you like best?

OST is easy to use but has advanced capabilities as well.

What do you dislike?

There are some bugs. The software could be improved somewhat. Using the program for multiple users on a local network can be challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch the training videos. Go to a training class once you're somewhat familiar with the program.

I use OST for all my quantity takeoffs. It's a clean and simple way to quantify project scope from start to finish.

User in Construction

"On-Screen Takeoff Easy and Accurate"

What do you like best?

On-Screen Takeoff is easy to use and quick for new estimators to learn. It is an accurate tool when used and has many features that help with saving time while boosting accuracy.

What do you dislike?

On-Screen Takeoff has many beneficial features but is also missing a few I wish it had. On-Screen is always improving the software so I am hopeful some of the features will be added.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the switch, you won't be dissapointed.

On-Screen Takeoff allows us to be able to bid all different types of projects while using the same software. It is easily understandable so all parties can see and know what is involved in our bid.

User in Construction

"Straight Forward and Shareable Takeoff"

What do you like best?

You're highlighting what you're taking off so it is easy to; navigate, share, and review

What do you dislike?

The software is a steep upfront investment that will pay for itself in time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As soon as you justify the expense you'll see benefits in savings and as solution to making your estimator more productive.

Your takeoff is a visual communication tool that links the estimate to the field

On-Screen Takeoff® review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"No learning curve for entry level takeoff "

What do you like best?

Platform is straightforward and easy to use even for a beginner with little technical knowledge of the field. Automatically saves progress as you work.

What do you dislike?

Conditions/styles do not automatically save to your database as additional projects with new styles are imported.

Time to complete takeoffs is greatly reduced as computer does all calculations/counts

User in Construction

"Best takeoff software to date"

What do you like best?

I like the many layers and conditions that on screen allows you to use. You can easily start back up from where you left ood previously.

You can add values to actually build type estimate or budget as well

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult sometimes to find different tasks you are trying to complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool for completing takeoff and providing backup to your client for any scope of work

Able to provide complete takeoff quantities to and owner to give them complete back up for a proposal or task of work.

User in Construction

"Makes takeoffs easy to perform"

What do you like best?

As a drywall estimator the "areas" feature allows me to perform takeoffs that take less time to build when I use the data in Quick Bid

What do you dislike?

I do not like that I can not navigate the drawing files while I have a new condition window open.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Effective Drywall estimating software

On Screen Takeoff has allowed us to be more efficient when bidding jobs.

User in Construction

"Improvement over manual take offs"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it is so fast in quantifying the take off. The fact that it gives you square footage with border footage. The lengths of partitions. Being able to color/identify what you have completed , so you know that you have not meesed anything.

What do you dislike?

I am still in a learning curve. I have used the interactive with quick bid for small projects but for larger projects i feel that I can input it manfully faster. when I have a lot of different conditions

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes I would recommend this to others

Errors in quantity take off's

User in Construction

"Perfect for quick, accurate takeoffs"

What do you like best?

The ability to be provided with multiple quantities based upon single takeoff markups is a real time saver.

What do you dislike?

Hot links are a little cumbersome to get used to

Takeoffs are more accurate than with paper plans, especially being able to print them for field use with a legend on each page.

"Fast and Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Program is very easy to start using on day one. It has increased my productivity by 100%.

What do you dislike?

The program loses the link to my drawings a lot and I have to relink them back up. This isn't a big problem but it does take time.

Takeoff are quicker and less chance for an error.

User in Construction

"On screen for contractors"

What do you like best?

The ease of use of the program, the accuracy, the speed, the ability to easily make changes an reassign takeoff

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike about the program, no complaints

Help ensure accuracy and allows takeoff to easily be shared within the office and outside

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Patricia R.
Patricia R.

"On Screen"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use, understand, and makes estimating a project hand down simpler than trying to use a ruler, colored pencils and paper. Saving trees

What do you dislike?

The customer service is very lacking in understanding your questions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

easy to use and time saving.

estimating construction projects. Time for estimating projects is cut in half.

"Senior Estimator"

What do you like best?

This software greatly increases accuracy, reduces the risk for errors and allows for a fast accurate estimate

What do you dislike?

Would like to some day see Onscreen and QB as one program rather than 2 that have to be linked up

allows for large quantity of bids to be performed each year and reduces mistakes

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Keri Y.
Keri Y.

"Saving Time = Saving $"

What do you like best?

Speed of the take-off software has allowed us to generate more proposals in a short amount of time!

What do you dislike?

We have some connection issues with the database at times.

We utilize the Take Off to obtain quantities for bidding purposes. We've been able to generate bids quicker than our previous software.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Kevin R.
Kevin R.

"Complicated work made easy."

What do you like best?

The ability to switch from estimate to estimate.

What do you dislike?

The upload time of the drawings, and the time it takes to rename the drawings

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch all the tutorial videos.

OST has helped us increase the amount of estimates we are able to provide to our customers.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by User

"Useful and user friendly take off software"

What do you like best?

Able to perform takeoff directly on project plan sheets

What do you dislike?

Software does not provide block size information as a standard output

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would absolutely recommend to anyone looking for a takeoff solution

Able to complete material takeoffs quickly and efficiently

User in Construction

"good and easily accessible"

What do you like best?

easy to understand and a good tool to work for a beginner.

fast and accurate enough

all projects are at one place and easy to find.

copy and paste is the est tool which is saving my lot of time.

What do you dislike?

sometimes it gets crush all of a sudden which I don't like.

worksheet could be a more flexible.

bidding was the mail criteria.

its helping me a lot to bid all the projects in a easy way and access easily for the old bids

User in Construction

"construction estimating for the past 25 years and have gone from paper plans to digital"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the accuracy of the take offs and it makes it easy to send to subcontractors to verify quantities.

What do you dislike?

Monthly/yearly fees. These fees are unnecessary and increase my costs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like it.

I use this with 80% of the projects I work on.

User in Construction

"User since the first version was released"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Lots of great features and tools. Constantly updated to meet the needs of the user.

What do you dislike?

Loading and converting drawings takes a lot of time.

Allows me to breakdown an estimate so that I can give detailed information to clients.

User in Construction

"Great software for takeoffs"

What do you like best?

I like the integration between OST and QB

What do you dislike?

Difficult to keep only the newest drawings on your takeoff. Have to have old and new drawings

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get quick bid as well

The amount of bids that we can bid on. Much faster

On-Screen Takeoff® review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Using ON screen for painting take offs"

What do you like best?

Its quick to learn. Took me a day or two to understand. Tech support is very good even though they are located on the other side of the world

What do you dislike?

It has some limitations with putting attachments in walls above other attachments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn all the functions. It is a great program once you start using all its functions

It provides fast and accurate take offs. It makes our tenders look more professional than our competitors

"Using On-Screen Takeoff"

What do you like best?

The ability to quantity takeoffs with having to have plans printed.

What do you dislike?

Not be able to measure items in the second plan viewer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it you will like it.

The ability to do takeoffs faster with less errors.

"Quick Estimating"

What do you like best?

The count feature is great. so is the feature to have 3 different types of measurement

What do you dislike?

It's difficult to take off a page that has multiple typical floors

quicker takeoffs

"So so"

What do you like best?

I like how everything is laid out. It's very simple to download projects.

What do you dislike?

It would make things much easier if you could email take off's directly to Submittal Exchange or to anyone for that matter.

Accuracy

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Jared S.
Jared S.

"The best!"

What do you like best?

Continuing to upgrade and enhance. Also the ability to replicate template takeoffs.

What do you dislike?

Yearly subscription and costs to implement fully trained employees.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't hesitate, pull the trigger.

Organized the complete handoff between Preconstruction and the field.

"Drywall Estimator"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. User friendly. Perform extremely detailed take-offs.

What do you dislike?

Fluidity of changing from one plan page to the next.

Detailed cost estimates, which make it easier to track material and labor on projects.

"On-Screen Review"

What do you like best?

Easy of use and ability to utilize an overlay feature

What do you dislike?

I was printing to a pdf was easier or took fewer steps

Quantity justification of owner/architect related changes via layovers

User in Construction

"The best Takeoff software"

What do you like best?

I love it that I it automatically breaks down the whole take off so that I can price the job based on how many locations the same material is used.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be improved by allowing a user to draw without getting blinded by limited angles.

Quantity take off and pricing. Helps with being fast

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Joel M.
Joel M.

"On Screen"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and able to transfer takeoff to quick bid

What do you dislike?

Options for custom situations such as curves in walls

time management

User in Construction

"I don't really like On-Screen Takeoff"

What do you like best?

The compatibility with quikbid, but i guess you wouldnt need quikbid if you had this program.

What do you dislike?

The buttons, the way it scrolls, its not as easy as planswift.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are used to the program you are using i would stick with it. Maybe with more training this program would be worth it.

No benefit compared to other programs.

"Best takeoff program!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and fast learning curve for new users. Functionality is flawless. Integration seamless with QuickBid.

What do you dislike?

GUI could be spruced up a little bit to look more modern. Large PDF sometimes take a while to change pages.

Fast and easy takeoff for doing bids. Integration with QuickBid is a time saver and easy for revisions and changes.

User in Construction

"On-Screen Take-Off user survey "

What do you like best?

Quickly perform takeoffs. Able to do multiple take off at once.

What do you dislike?

I cant work on multiple computers at different places at different times.

Also, unable to upload since I do my OST on a different computer than the one I am using to take this survey.

Provide quick take-off in which I can price fairly quickly.

"OST is Great!!!"

What do you like best?

OST takes about 50% of the time that it used to take to take off a job by hand

What do you dislike?

I really haven't found anything that I dislike with OST.

I use OST for taking off construction jobs on the carpentry side of things. My time that it saves

"Sr. Estimator "

What do you like best?

On-Screen Takeoff has enabled me to free up time to evaluate my bids and quantify accurate takeoff. Great experience with the results and accuracy.

What do you dislike?

No bad things to talk about here, very useful program

It has enabled me to be 100% accurate with quantities and efficiency

"Great software"

What do you like best?

The tech support is exceptional, always able to fix things I mess up. Easy to set up and use

What do you dislike?

It does a great job, haven't had any problems other than Windows 10 operating system.

Ability to create just about any report you can think about.

"Great Program!"

What do you like best?

Ability to perform multiple takeoffs. Great for adding or deleting quantities for alternates or changes

What do you dislike?

I have no issues or dislikes the program has all that I need

it has helped in presentations with potential clients or owners to show them how their project is being estimated.

User in Construction

"I am long time user and would not want to perform my take-offs in any other manner."

What do you like best?

Not having to buy hard copy plans and having my take-off overlay the plans.

What do you dislike?

The only dislikes I have is that you cannot take dimension or highlight items in the Show View Window. Those functions would greatly emhance this software.

I am able to bid more projects.

"On-Screen Review"

What do you like best?

Ease of Use and can adjust the settigns to really sutie what ever work you require

What do you dislike?

TIme to upload drawings and some more flexibility in shapes for volumes and areas

able to complete more takeoffs for various items beyond our normal selfperformed work

"Has been flawless."

What do you like best?

Ability for fast accurate takeoffs. Can upload to csv file

What do you dislike?

Cost is high compared to competition. Need to see more features to be worth added cost

Recommendations to others considering the product

On the fence, regarding cost vs value

Ability to give graphic representation of takeoffs

On-Screen Takeoff® review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"An easy to use software that gets the job done."

What do you like best?

The interface, it's sharp and easy to use. Great job.

What do you dislike?

Not much, it's a good product. It could be quicker to launch but that might be a PC constraint.

Streamlining our business and integration with our software.

On-Screen Takeoff® review by User

"Reduce estimating and project accuracy"

What do you like best?

the integration between take off and quick bid along with built in reports

What do you dislike?

the ability to customize job exports to match our accounting system requirements

reduced time on initial estimates, increased bid accuracy

On-Screen Takeoff® review by User

"Good quantifying and pricing program"

What do you like best?

technical assistance prompt and responsive

What do you dislike?

some limitations with multiple mobile users

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use before other more expensive programs

estimating and pricing projects

Learn more about On-Screen Takeoff®

On-Screen Takeoff® Videos

Learning about On-Screen Takeoff®?

* We monitor all On-Screen Takeoff® reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.