Onshape

Onshape is a modern CAD system that eliminates design gridlock and helps engineers do their best work. Onshape unites advanced modeling tools and design data management in a secure cloud workspace that has rapidly become the primary CAD system for thousands of companies worldwide.

Work for Onshape?

Learning about Onshape?

Onshape Reviews

Ask Onshape a Question
Showing 214 Onshape reviews
Onshape review by Henry W.
Henry W.

"Essential and well implemented version control and collaboration "

What do you like best?

Good software with a decent tool set. Browser based so easy to use across all platforms. Cloud stored so very easy collaboration. Essential and well implemented version control - this is a must have if modern agile workflows are desired. Mating of parts in assemblies is amazing, doubt I could ever go back. Used to use Solidworks but the previous reasons made me choose to switch to Onshape for the beginning of our companies journey.

What do you dislike?

Online only means you have to have internet, this can be annoying. This also means my computer can't help out if things are being slow which with large assemblies and in context design they can be. Although no slower than Solidworks on a decent workstation. Integrations like FEA and CAM are great but they are almost all more subscriptions so cost is ridiculous if you only need it rarely. My personal gripe is that recently they have changed the terms and conditions so that with the free account you designs are public property. As an design engineer and a maker this means I can't use Onshape for my private use and so have to use a different CAD package outside work. If I had known this it would have seriously made me consider other options for my company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unfortunately Onshape is moving more to the professional market and leaving makers in the dust with price increases and terms and condition changes. This makes sense as they are following the money. If this bothers you as it does me then consider other options carefully. Regardless Onshape is an excellent CAD system and they are leading the way in CAD innovation. This is the future of CAD, I am certain.

Designing of machines for automation of microfluidics for life sciences

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Onshape
Onshape review by Trip A.
Trip A.

"The Future of Modeling is Here"

What do you like best?

Onshape provides outstanding support and is constantly improving and expanding capabilities. Capabilities were great when I started 18 months ago but much better now. The capabilities expand so fast there is always something new and better to learn about it!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes loading models bogs down and it is quite easy to build a model that will load very slowly. We need tips on making things streamlined. The new "time required" info in the drawing window is a huge step forward. I would also prefer if Onshape staff would put a day or so into creating a better library of profiles for the "Beams" script. This would save me a bunch of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get started! you will love it.

We constantly design new separation and processing equipment and systems. We couldn't work without Onshape. The ability to pull up earlier versions takes all the fear out of changing important drawings. It is so easy to build 2D drawings for part manufacture.

What Product and Machine Design solution do you use?

Onshape review by Joep C.
Joep C.

"Web based, clean sheet well thought out Cad software. "

What do you like best?

Unfortunately I do not use Onshape on a daily basis and have no time to drill into new released features. In the past I was a heavy SW user. Here are some of the features I like most. I like the web based concept no need for a special Cad specified PC. The sharing capability works very well. The subscription price as of now is reasonable for what you get. There is no need for software updates which caused sometimes havoc in SW. Well thought out releases of new features are rolled out on a regular basis. You listen to your customers.

What do you dislike?

No internet no CAD. Have not worked with really large assembly yet but I can imagine that "lag" may be an issue. Thinks take time, it would be great if well integrated CAM packages were available (Camworks?).

I have no problem paying for goods and services however subscription based software can become convoluted (terms & conditions) and costly.

We design products and molds for themoforming. We were able to share designs in an efficient manner.

Onshape review by Jeremy L.
Jeremy L.

"The future of intuitive design"

What do you like best?

Community centered development. Incredible customer service. The ability to work from a desktop and then walk out to a facility and take measurements and input them on my phone and then head back to my desk and continue where I left off. Very intuitive UI, no fishing through tons of menus and drop downs to get at the function I need. No saving! The power can go out in the middle of modeling and I never have to worry that anything has been lost.

What do you dislike?

No ITAR compliant servers. I'm sure this hurdle has lots of moving parts but it really is the only thing holding my company back from being able to further implement Onshape.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just get it. Will work great on the worst computer you have. No more relying on expensive high powered workstations. Work on the same model/drawing from the office, home, the bathroom, anywhere without multiple installs and remembering to bring a USB drive with you everywhere. Always have the most current version without being charged for upgrades.

Huge time saver with how much faster I can intuitively model a specific part. Great to walk into a meeting room, login to Onshape and pull up and go over models on an overhead projector instead of bringing prints or USB drives.

Onshape review by Jop T.
Jop T.

"Future-proof"

What do you like best?

+ very easy to share access with my sales colleagues so they can show early designs with potential buyers

+ very easy to work from any workstation, anywhere

+ automatic updates, no download time

+excellent helpdesk that come with solutions and even improve the system based on users' input

What do you dislike?

- I still have to get used a bit to the different approach of mating in assemblies, but I am getting there

- the absence of a basic render machine, it should be included in stead of searching and trying plug-ins

- I would very much like to be able to change the perspective when using the perspective view

Recommendations to others considering the product

do not fear to work online, if you have a proper internet connection and a proper workstation, you will be fine!

+ better cooperation possibilities between colleagues and other companies

+ the possibility to show a design on the app helps our sales colleagues to involve buyers in an early stage

Onshape review by David W.
David W.

"Moving to the next stage with Onshape"

What do you like best?

Access to up to date software on any platform including mobile. Ability to share design easily with colleagues anywhere. Rapidly improving software based on user feedback. Constraints system built around simulation not an add on.

What do you dislike?

Drawings package still maturing. Mobile lags behind desktop in a number of key areas particularly with lack of 2d drawings. I think also the iPad and Apple Pencil offer an opportunity to rethink the way 3d design can be done. At the moment it basically mimics the desktop workflow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although lacking in some features present in more mature products it has sufficient functionality to operate as primary system. Minor learning curve from other parametric packages so minimal drop in productivity.

With Onshape I am able to give clients instant access to the latest model and drawings. They can see in real time how a job is progressing and give feedback immediately if it is required. Saving time and wasted work. Easy to do presentations using a mobile device. Access to all design information in one place including design calculations.

Onshape review by Thomas W.
Thomas W.

"Best design experience available"

What do you like best?

I love having the ability to access my files anywhere in the world, on any device connected to the internet. Also, the ability to give access or revoke access from specific files is very powerful. Customers love being able to look at files I am working on for them just by following the link generated by Onshape.

What do you dislike?

Onshape isn't quite as powerful as Solidworks in some areas but I think that will change soon. Also, those more powerful features are almost never used by me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A quality internet connection is a must. Cost is also a factor. Onshape is cheaper with regards to the license and also the hardware requirements.

Onshape allows my company to invest money in better ways that is otherwise spent on expensive hardware needed to run computer-based systems. Cloud-based CAD also allows us to design out on the floor on any laptop or even phones or tablets. Customers are amazed when I pull out my phone to show them the full CAD file of their project in the middle of a meeting.

Onshape review by Mitchell E.
Mitchell E.

"Continued development and stellar support make Onshape a progressively more powerful mfg. tool."

What do you like best?

Collaborative design, integrated PDM and PLM, a robust set of modeling tools, and the endless potential unlocked by FeatureScript - what's not to love? The flexibility of Onshape allows us to centralize and more clearly define our product as we move away from 2D cad and towards model-based enterprise for manufacturing.

On modeling - Although initially skeptical of the seemingly small number of design tools available, an hour or two spent in the interface was enough to see that the functionality packed into each tool is often more capable and more intuitive than in similar cad software.

On the cloud - It's refreshing to design in an environment where documents integrate seamlessly without concern of missing files or broken links, where we have the freedom freedom to reorganize our folder structure as needs change without worry. The ability to connect from anywhere on almost any device allows us to work more collaboratively at every step in the design and manufacturing process.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps because there's such a push on the side of 3D design and model-based definition, the 2D drawings have been slow to catch up to the functionality of comparable software. Without the option for annotated 3D models, we will likely still need to rely on 2D drawings for communication of technical information to our shop. Recent updates have brought some improvements to the interface, but it might be difficult to make full use of drawings until the user has better control over the interpretation of part or assembly models to drawing views.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If it doesn't meet your needs today, check back in 3 weeks.

New functionality is ALWAYS being added, and the entire Onshape support team is excellent at addressing concerns and guiding users to solutions.

It might not be exactly what you're used to, but the platform is opening doors to new ways of design and manufacturing that are worth exploring.

From project layouts to custom cut lists, FeatureScript has enabled us to simplify and/or automate many tedious and error-prone tasks, expediting the process of defining and executing a manufacturing project.

Onshape review by Travis L.
Travis L.

"Incredible features and value in the Cloud!"

What do you like best?

I love the stability and performance of using a CAD program in the cloud not requiring a local supercomputer to do large models. The featureset of this CAD program is comparable in my experience to competing local install platforms. The user interface is intuitive and the help documentation is thorough enough to get even an experience user out of a difficult modelling situations.

What do you dislike?

A few features at the assembly level (assembly configurations) and on drawings (editing templates) are yet to be implemented. The standards-based library features such as fasteners have room for improvement and standard material shapes in steel and aluminum are non-existent in a meaningful way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The modelling is quite intuitive but I recommend taking the training to learn the paradigm of workspaces and file management.

I am delivering professional engineering documentation for manufacturing as well as technical diagrams used in product literature. Using this product allows me to communicate new design intent to my client before prototypes are built.

Onshape review by Rami R.
Rami R.

"Superior cad for everyone"

What do you like best?

Like? I absolutelu love it!

- 100% Cloud based, zero manual updates, zero installs

- Innovative multi-part studios

- The most stable cad on the market (zero work lost in 3+ years)

- Superior support with team who actually listen to their customers

- Friendly and helpful user forums

- Frequent updates with most wanted features

- Affordable

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing to dislike. You can hide the features you don't need and software doesn't force you to do anything. Onshape can be used in many ways and there's no right or wrong, just do whatever suits the current project.

It is still lacking few needed features but they are 'in-the-pipe' though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have stable internet with the speed of 3G or faster, I'd say give it a fair try.

It is different from other cads so don't begin with work project under schedule rather take some old project and take your time to recreate with Onshape style. Be open minded and ENJOY!

Get into friendly community, discuss, ask questions and help others, HAVE FUN!

We use Onshape for everything from simple 2D geometry drawings to full 3D models of factory production layout. Cloud serves us with enough resources to manipulate large detailed assemblies with ease.

Our everyday work includes furniture design and creating detailed assembly instructions. Every other day we receive all sort of cad files (solid works, dwgs, step files etc..) for reference which we need to be able to efficiently use as a base for furniture quotation or it might be a cnc machine we need to mount into our factory layout. Onshape is not perfect for all these tasks, but as a small company we can't have dedicated software for each task and Onshape is the best we have found to serve us overall and get things properly done.

Onshape review by Steve C.
Steve C.

"Onshape has opened up a world of creativity, idea organization and intuitive CAD."

What do you like best?

Onshape is thought out.

Some cars I work are a joy, others, I exasperate, "The engineers that designed this ought to have to work on it!"

The "engineering" of Onshape was done by those who've spent time under the hood of other CAD systems and in the real design and manufacturing world. They've created a CAD program that is fun and intuitive to work on.

An added bonus of Onshape is the ability to organize and keep track of projects and ideas. As an inventor, Onshape is the proverbial "napkin" on which ideas are quickly sketched.

What do you dislike?

No dislikes. It is a great program. Any "weak links" are quickly and efficiently resolved by the great team and their frequent updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I generally don't share software recommendations, but Onshape is one I've shared frequently and often with engineering friends and others. It is well thought out, easy to use and understand, provides excellent organization of files and ideas and has a team committed to the product and the success of users.

Onshape allows us to quickly design and implement product improvements. With our 3D printers going steady, we've been able to make product improvements and changes overnight.

Onshape review by Graham S.
Graham S.

"Very Happy With OnShape!"

What do you like best?

Love: the zero setup and decommissioning as our team expands and contracts, excellent collaboration from anywhere, that my files are fully backed up with no hassles, ability to roll-back infinitely, and strong/continuously improving capabilities. I am a big believer in the Software-as-a-Service model for CADs. Also, OnShape has the most responsive customer service I've ever experienced. Even better, it is much less expensive and much more convenient to work with than other CADs...

What do you dislike?

Two years ago some important features were not yet included (eg some sheet-metal tools). Most of these have been addressed. The outstanding features missing are don't impede our work significantly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like any powerful tool, you have to invest a bit of time to get the value out of it. You have to give yourself some time to transition because OnShape works a bit differently than other CADs, but it is worth it!

Needed a professional-grade CAD for a start-up company designing a new and extremely challenging product that incorporated numerous new technologies. This was a serious R&D project and we needed a CAD that could facilitate our work, not get in the way. OnShape has delivered!

Onshape review by Connor P.
Connor P.

"Mechanical Engineer"

What do you like best?

Onshape balances power and ease of use correctly. Onshape errs on the side of ease of use, but anytime you can't do something in exactly the way you want there is always Featurescript. The development environment in Onshape is powerful enough to implement a sophisticated CPQ workflow for nearly any product line.

What do you dislike?

Drawing creation/export is not as detailed or powerful as I would like it to be. This is the one area where featurescript was unable to help me get to where I want to be, and I have resorted to using some janky workarounds to achieve the automation I want. Onshape's rate of development is astounding though, and I expect this shortcoming to be improved quickly (in many ways, it already has.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Onshape especially for startups and small to mid sized firms. Learn featurescript early and use it often. It is one of the most powerful workflow customization tools I have worked with, and I realize everyday how much more it can do that I have not been leveraging.

Automation of system design

Onshape review by Bruce W.
Bruce W.

"Onshape has made my job fun again!"

What do you like best?

The ability to easily use CAD anywhere is the single best feature and then so many other advantages making the whole package a great time saver and way to collaborate with customers & prospects. Things I love - Git style version control, clean interface, parametric modeling, advanced assembly, and cloud database (eliminates files). The Onshape team has created a new paradigm for part design and communication.

What do you dislike?

The product is 90% complete for our needs. Our need is more high end mold and surfacing tools in addition to the standard tools that are already there. The Onshape team is bringing out improvements every three weeks and gets us closer to the ideal all the time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Onshape is easy to set up and try. The challenge is leaning a new interface, however, the tutorials, videos, and forum are really good. Just spend some time learning it and you will have trouble going back to file based systems.

Faster and more complete evaluation of jobs. OS lets us quickly import and design concepts even at the quote stage. The information we send to prospects & customers is helping them succeed and increasing their confidence in us.

Onshape review by Phil B.
Phil B.

"Finally the essence of CAD"

What do you like best?

one file to manage, easy collaboration, and a breeze to use - oh and I shouldn't forget the booleans and solid editing tools - they rock!

What do you dislike?

non-believers! Any new tool will be met with a level of scepticism - at the moment the drawing tools are a tad slow, but they are improving rapidly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We made an easy swap from SW and we have not looked back - I have used a lot of CAD systems over the years and this one is a winner - first time loading of files can be a tad slow depending on your network, so don't walk away thinking the cloud system is poor as Onshape is a very very competent tool.

real-time visibility and clarity of designs, parts, and assemblies. As an administrator and (I think) as a pro user, I can oversee and act earlier into all our projects and designs.

Onshape review by Zach  H.
Zach H.

"Collaboration flexibility unlike any other design software I've used"

What do you like best?

The ability to work with someone in a file and view their actions has been great for being able to both share ideas on how to create as well as learning from each other to become more proficient in using the software. That, along with the ability to create multiple version trees and quick rollback actions make for a much less frustrating experience when testing out different ideas and not wanting to save multiple version copies.

What do you dislike?

Having to be online can be a two edged sword. There are times in the field I would like to work and do not have internet access.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider if you can live with an always online platform. If so, there are a large number of benefits to this system. If you regularly collaborate on projects and have multiple people working with your files then OnShape really begins to show how well it works.

The ability to quickly model items for prototyping in house is great. Having it online is great because I can work from my desk and when I go to our makerspace I can use my tablet and make any tweaks when needed without going back to my desk at another facility.

Onshape review by David B.
David B.

"Great cloud-based CAD software"

What do you like best?

One main advantage of Onshape versus other CAD programs is that it is cloud-based, so there is no need to download software and take up significant space on a hard drive. This also means that your work can be accessed from any device at any time. Being cloud-based also makes it easy to collaborate with colleagues since files/projects are constantly being updated as you work, which eliminates the need to transfer data between devices that is present with non cloud-based CAD programs.

Another thing I like about Onshape is their customer support. Their customer support team responds promptly to feedback/questions and has helped me solve a couple of issues I was having via email.

What do you dislike?

In my opinion, Onshape isn't quite as versatile as the leading CAD programs that have been around for a while yet, but for my needs, and probably for the majority of CAD users, it is perfectly adequate. Onshape is also still a relatively new company, so they are constantly updating and improving.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As long as you have a reliable internet connection, I see no reason not to give Onshape a chance.

I mainly use Onshape to produce renderings of robots and injection molding machines used in the plastics industry. Onshape's configurations have been especially helpful in making this process efficient since the renderings consist of a number of different models of robots/injection molding machines.

Onshape review by Aubrey C.
Aubrey C.

"Constant improvements and competetive functionality"

What do you like best?

The fact that it is on the cloud and I can access projects from anywhere easily and share documents with people from anywhere. I also like the Sheet Metal functions in onshape. This is a big seller for us as we do a lot of sheet metal work. When we first started in onshape the sheet metal functions were new and minimal. The amount of added features especially to sheet metal are amazing and typically caters to our needs and wants as well.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike. The import/export functions are highly compatible and very much needed. Improvements are constant and address suggestions brought to light by the end user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. You will surely decide to make permanent use of the product

Sharing a document with a client or co-worker is extremely easy. Collaborative work is so simple. Communication and collaboration are most definitely the two main issues being solved by working in Onshape

Onshape review by Mehul G.
Mehul G.

"Modern collaboration"

What do you like best?

I like being able to share and work on components and assemblies while my colleagues around the world are also observing and collaborating (multiple users working in the same document at the same time) as well. Being able to share designs with permissions I can manage has allowed us to share concepts with multiple vendors and revoke permission from vendors not chosen.

The quick and frequent updates are also exciting and let me know this is a serious tool for professionals.

What do you dislike?

Certain features are missing that could be misunderstood as this software not being ready for professionals. However, updates every three weeks keep me hopeful they will be ready soon.

I wish this tool were available 20 years ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. The hardware requirements are small and the platform can be run from a phone or tablet. I have even used it with airplane wifi on an international trip!

We no longer need to upgrade our pdm system within Solidworks.

Onshape review by Doug J.
Doug J.

"Breakthrough Product - Long Overdue in CAD Industry"

What do you like best?

Ease of user set-up and admin

No software installs, patches, upgrades. No servers or license management.

Conducive to data sharing / collaboration

Transparent version and history control

No check-in / check-out, saving.

No emailing of step files (self-service exports for stakeholders using other CAD tools)

Extraordinary pace of software updates and improvements (major enhancements every three weeks)

Built-in PDM, enormous potential for taking PDM to new heights

Quick learning curve. Experienced SolidWorks users more or less hit the ground running.

Don't need an upgraded windows machine to run, works fine on standard PC's, Mac, tablets, etc.. Can check on live data via mobile phone.

Good training resources

Responsive support team, highly competent staff all around

Great business model - focused on what they do well, partnering with like minded companies to bring secondary services (i.e., FEA, rendering, utilities, etc. in app store). Not pretending they can deliver everything effectively, like the biggest PLM/CAD companies.

Modern database architecture, modern API's, built on AWS cloud - well positioned for the latest trends in data (digitalization, analytics, governance, etc.)

No up front capital expenses, no depreciation

Enables legit master data management from customer facing systems through the supply base.

What do you dislike?

Wish this tool were around 10 years ago.

The CAD industry has really been stagnant for the last 10+ years. Most CAD companies have been focused on leveraging their CAD user bases to sell secondary engineering tools and bloated PLM systems, rather than figuring out fundamental issues around CAD collaboration, file distribution, IT admin, etc. Convinced that Onshape will be lighting a fire under the rear ends of the entire industry starting in early '18.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot. Don't be afraid of the cloud. CAD is just the last major business software to go there. AWS is better at securing your data than your internal IT dept. And if you are emailing or ftp'ing CAD data today, that is the worst of all options from a security standpoint.

Cost and effort avoidance of on-site PDM with server replication in multiple regions. Previous system (Workgroup PDM) no longer supported.

Ensuring stakeholders are all working from the same master data, vastly improving vendor access to collaborative data.

Minimizing time to prepare competitive quote and release packages

Co-location of key technical product data in one system

Improving the ability for designers, engineers, and drafters to efficiently move in and out of projects as needed, without being slowed down by check-in, check out. Developing more of a team-mindset.

Improving access to 3D models for product management, marketing, etc., helping speed up commercialization processes and improve transparency.

Reducing IT admin headaches

Getting more control over IP (controlled sharing as opposed to email/ftp)

Onshape review by Romeo G.
Romeo G.

"Professional CAD for today's workflows"

What do you like best?

Onshape is fast, stable, and provides full parametric modelling (or just a viewer!) in a browser. This is a remarkable benchmark for communicating 3D design information to non-CAD stakeholders, suppliers, and partners. Sharing CAD data using permissions rather than emailing files, means that there are no duplicate copies of files that could be used in production by mistake. The fact that permissions can be controlled and revoked at any time provides industry-leading intellectual property protection. Monthly feature additions and updates, along with super-responsive support staff makes using Onshape a pleasure.

It's clear that Onshape is developing these tools based on today's users, and eliminating many of the irritating problems with traditional CAD systems. Onshape is leaving out features that many don't need, improving or combining features we do need, and provides an innovative FeatureScript language for enterprising CAD users to develop their own functionality.

What do you dislike?

Feature parity with our other CAD package, SolidWorks, is catching up fast, but there are still some important features missing for me.

Requirement for fast & stable internet connection.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fully-capable for many industries. Make sure you have fast & reliable internet connections where you need to work.

Sharing CAD data and 3D concepts with non-CAD users (executives, suppliers, etc).

Fast & clean imports of partner's data for fit check and design validation.

Cost effective parametric modelling.

Flexible computer requirements means macOS users can get full CAD work done.

Onshape review by Teodor G.
Teodor G.

"Great CAD software for a modern, innovative company"

What do you like best?

i believe the best features are related to the cloud aspect. The availability of all projects on any device, combined with the efficient version control and the real-time collaboration features make Onshape stand out. Furthermore, the user-friendliness of fhe software in combination with the power of the tools at the user’s disposal make Onshape a great tool for any design/engineering company. One specific example is the recent addition of configurations. It allows the user to change the value of certain parameters to make several design iterations from in one model space. Lastly, the customer support is collaborative and efficient in implementing user requested features in short time-frames.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislkie considering the good customer support and the regular updates. It is obvous the company listens to the user base and uses the feedback they receive. This in mult opinion is the most important aspect a comany like Onshape should pay attention to.

The fact that all versions can be stored in one document which is in the cloud is very efficient, both in terms of access and in terms of storage space.

The ability to easily share an aspect of a model with a customer while only allowing certain actions is also of great help

Onshape review by Eirik G.
Eirik G.

"Fluid CAD-experience and great support, though I wouldn't use it to model a full oil rig just yet."

What do you like best?

They call it the CAD-program for the future for a reason. I'm not talking about the modelling tools and CAD environment, though this is certainly modern as well, but the pricing model and never having to update/install and keep buying the next version of your CAD software every year to get the newest features and bug fixes. Onshape keeps everything updated for you, and even though it is sort of a work in progress, and some features may be lacking at the moment, new features are added every 3rd weeks and will very soon have everything you need.

Oh, and it has built in PDM.

What do you dislike?

Some features are still lacking or not quite ironed out. But will probably be happy with them within the next year. There is little or no way to customize the CAD environment (GUI). Background colour for instance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it

Easy to work on the same model for multiple team members, without an extra PDM system. The workflow of Onshape saves us a lot of time compared to our old file based CAD system. Editing properties/materials for multiple parts at once, for example, as all parts are available right there in the browser, without having to open a bunch of files from Windows Explorer.

Onshape review by Bob B.
Bob B.

"Onshape kicks ass"

What do you like best?

They are truly customer focused. I receive regular calls from their team to ensure that we are happy and not experiencing any problems with their product.

What do you dislike?

There frankly isn't a lot to dislike about their product. I get the impression that the product isn't yet quite up to the level of existing more mature CAD offerings; however, not being a pro designer this doesn't afect me at all. Also, I understand that they are constantly evolving the product based on fantastic relationships and feedback from customers, so they'll no doubt get there very soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Certainly worth trying for anyone who uses CAD in any context whatsoever.

As a start-up, with few employees who are very mobile, it is fantastic being able to collaborate on designs and share concepts remotely and whilst on the run.

Onshape review by Miles C.
Miles C.

"Game changing product today, with so much potential tomorrow"

What do you like best?

Onshape is a great company with an impressive product. There is no other software out there like it. Every 3 weeks are updates. I can use it on any device anywhere. It's cloud based so duplicates are a thing of the past. Controlling IP is much easier with true sharing as opposed to sending files and hoping that nothing happens to them. I am always excited to see what they come up with next. The best part is that they take the foundation of design but at the same time, forget the negatives of traditional CAD. My personal favorite is that everyone is always using the same version of the software and none of your files become "outdated". With traditional CAD, every new year you are working with people who have different versions of the CAD software, and files are almost always NOT backwards compatible.

What do you dislike?

It's a ground breaking platform, so my only problem is that more people haven't adopted it. So working with other engineers who don't use Onshape is sometimes difficult because they are unwilling to try something new and better. Also, in some engineering labs, getting an internet connection (whether hardwired or WiFi) is sometimes difficult, so that can present a challenge. But it sort of comes with the territory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the move now. Onshape is a great product right now, and will only continue to grow moving forward. You won't regret this decision.

We travel a lot to meet with clients and being able to access Onshape from multiple computers is so useful. Also, all our data can be saved in one place. This includes CAD data, sketches, pictures, diagrams, drawings, etc.

Onshape review by Tim W.
Tim W.

"I'd buy stock if I could. The future of CAD"

What do you like best?

It's hard to choose what I like the best. Cost, low hardware requirements, built-in revision control and PDM?

The greatest features are Configurations and In Context design. Configurations are configured such that a fraction of the work is required to implement thousands of options.

In Context design means being able to keep your contexts once the design is done and never worry about your designs and details self-destructing if a later user makes a simple change or move.

What do you dislike?

Lagging features. While I'm confident they will come, there are some features that should have been there in the beginning that have taken too long to appear. (NPT Ports, anyone?)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Onshape can coexist with Solidworks and other CAD systems. Its ability to communicate designs with customers and remove the possibility of loss of data or revision history makes it a serious contender for your main system.

If I could own stock in this company, I would. It's a total game-changer.

With the advanced configurations, we have the potential to create entire product line models in one Parts Studio. The possibilities for use in marketing, customer service, and sales aids are phenomenal.

Onshape review by Josh H.
Josh H.

"My daily go-to for 3D CAD, but hoping more refinements will be added"

What do you like best?

Being able to use Onshape from any web-connected computer anywhere is a big plus. The interface is clean, zen-like, and visually pleasing. Onshape's support shines, with a generally quick response to questions, good follow-through, and helpful answers and insights. The software is usually quick and responsive regardless of the browser or computer I use. Onshape seems committed to offering user training and workshops, and I like their periodic email summary of new features that have been added, and I am happy that Onshape seems to have a genuine interest in improving their product with frequent updates.

What do you dislike?

The software doesn't feel fully fleshed out at times, though, to their credit, it is always improving. Some of the things I use often are more than one click away. I sometimes wish for keyboard shortcuts that either don't exist or that I can't find. I wish the hints and tooltips were more frequent and clearer sometimes. The inputs to some functions (selecting features) is sometimes more difficult than I'd like, and I waste valuable time trying to figure out what the software wants in spite of knowing my intent very clearly. Probably my greatest area of frustration is in sketching; the tools seem less intuitive and the workflow is a bit arcane compared to what I'm used to (AutoCAD) even after using Onshape for over a year. In fact, I often find it faster to sketch profiles in AutoCAD, then import them into Onshape for further processing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out the full-featured, free option first. The only restriction is that your models must be in the public domain.

Onshape is useful and productive for verifying or modifying model geometry we get from outside vendors, as well as in-house modeling of new parts.

Onshape review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"Awesome CAD and mobile to boot"

What do you like best?

We are an installer of cloud connected robotic cells in manufacturing. One of our challenges is our team is always going here and there so we needed a platform that could go with us. One of the features that amazes our customers is when we open their assembly cell on our mobile devices and use the model when we are doing design reviews or in the field installing it

What do you dislike?

The only issue we ever really have is you need an internet connection to work in or even view the model. However, it’s rare that we don’t have that connection so definitely not a major obstacle.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Making the decision to start our company on OnShape has been a great decision. It’s allowed us to do things that would have been cost prohibitive with competitive products. As we have started to rapidly expand our engineering team getting new engineers up to speed on the software has been amazingly simple with most being productive within their first couple of days on the system.

The ability to work on the model in a collaborative fashion has been awesome as we have added more engineers to the team. The fact that we can throw as many engineers into the model as we need to accomplish the mission has been a great advantage. The built-in PDM system is very easy to use and allows us to keep each of the engineers working on specific features in their area of the model and then merge all of the changes back together and keep track of who made what changes and when

Onshape review by Todd B.
Todd B.

"The future of CAD."

What do you like best?

Cloud-based tools that can be used anywhere, and on any system (Windows, Mac, Linux). There is no need to use Solidworks ever again. True real-time collaboration on projects. App store to add 3rd Party tools and functionality when needed. Built-in version control that will change your life. Works on iOS and Android so you can present ideas and edit documents to people while on the go. The tools are easy to use, and training webinars are brilliant. The cost is low for such a fully featured toolkit.

What do you dislike?

I want some more "industrial design" tools that allow one to push and pull solid surfaces. There are lots of ways to design complex surfaces in Onshape, so this has not been a significant roadblock.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the future of CAD. Compare Onshape with Solidworks and Fusion360. Solidworks is expensive, fully featured, but rather messy and old-school. Fusion360 is easy and inexpensive, perfect for many people. Onshape is the right cost-effective tool if you need to build something that will actually be manufactured. Plus, if you are on a team of people collaborating on a project, then there is little question Onshape is the place to be.

Creation of a new consumer product. Building tools to support the manufacturing pipeline of the new product. Preliminary packaging design.

Onshape review by Bob H.
Bob H.

"Onshape...great CAD anywhere"

What do you like best?

Knowing that Onshape had to deliver parametric MCAD on par with competitors, I was drawn to the browser based, work and collaborate anywhere aspect of the program and use this for all of my projects. I also enjoy the different and improved methods to build part geometry. The strategy of a master sketch is unique but powerful. The way Onshape allows you to pick from sections of the master sketch make it easier to collect related geometry to simplify the process and maintain a parametric model. I also like the fact that the program is browser based. I do not need to worry about hardware upgrades or installing updates or patches. The other strategic benefit is that Onshape does not lock you out of using new features with a downgraded version of the program. This is a limitation with other competing programs. I have used Onshape for exporting to 3D print parts without any problem. The workflow is straightforward and convenient.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is in re-thinking how to build part geometry to optimize for integrating into very larger and complex assemblies. This does, however, help me to be more efficient in the long run. This is probably more of a recommendation than dislike but I would like to see a slicer built into Onshape to allow direct 3D printing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use and collaborate with customers and your team

Onshape helps me stay in touch with my customers and partners from anywhere. This is the main benefit for me.

Onshape review by Anthony M.
Anthony M.

"Onshape, modern CAD that continues to get better "

What do you like best?

Onshape has a really good selection of design tools, its robust and has a familiar feel to it. It is great for top down parametric CAD design, makes organizing part data easier, and has no overhead IT tasks. 3 week feature updates are great the the community support/ customer service is also excellent. Very impressive product.

What do you dislike?

The biggest issues I have with Onshape are the less professional feeling application store add-ons. Although they are nice they don't all match the usability of Onshape. Also because of the fully cloud based architecture a reliable internet connection is required for a good experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best to start with a trial project with a subset of CAD users for bigger companies.

a 3 week project works best just to get familiar with features and tools and gauge the strengths and weaknesses. Transferring CAD assets and transitioning to Onshape will be an ongoing process, also good to consider the size of projects to ensure this is the correct software massive assemblies (over 10K parts) would probably have issues currently.

Product development and design. Consumer product scaling from low volume manufacturing to medium to high. Very easy to collaborate, share, and manage CAD data and assets. It cost less, is feature rich and has no IT overhead problems to deal with.

Onshape review by Simon H.
Simon H.

"This is the future of CAD."

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it is Cloud-based so I can access my files form any computer. I also like the fact that I don't get an annual update but a regular, monthly improvement which is instantly available without having to load new software. I also like the fact that I'm not paying for Support that I don't use. Help is always at hand and sharing files is very easy and secure. Really like the sheet metal side of Onshape. Much more intuitive than other software I've used.

What do you dislike?

The commands are not quite all there at present but are being continually improved and updated. There is sometimes a lag while a file loads but that's just something to get used to. At least you don't lose work as it doesn't crash!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a trial period

Sharing files with clients is easy and means that you don't have to save umpteen different versions.

Onshape review by Nick T.
Nick T.

"Transition to Onshape"

What do you like best?

In transitioning over to Onshape we have immediately noticed the benefit of cloud based CAD. As a team of 4 individuals with a subscription, we are able to collaborate on design and most importantly, we now have a common location for saving our designs and drawings. Previous to this, information was spread across different machines creating a disjointed document management system.

What do you dislike?

The one limiting factor of a cloud based CAD system is the need for internet access. On the odd occasion, I have been unable to access drawings due to being on site with no internet. The workaround us to print to PDF a copy of the drawings and save locally on my computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is worth trialling on a 1 year subscription. We had some slight concerns due to some features not being available at the time of signing up, but with the regular product updates these features have now been added.

We are standardising on system design. This alleviates the need to design the same things more than once. This will lead to time savings on design. The ability to access information on a smart phone has proved to be an unexpected benefit. We have been able to share design information with the client when on site in locations where it would not be possible to set up a computer.

Onshape review by Dean H.
Dean H.

"A Big Jump Into The Future of Parametric Design"

What do you like best?

Its cloud architecture and collaboration model. Onshape's approach is obviously the future and has clear, critical advantages over SolidWorks. Being able to collaborate on a live project from any platform, including my phone and my iPad, or any computer in the office is amazing. Remotely discussing a design in progress while the designer works on the model and provides a tour of her work, is unique and a fundamental advance.

What do you dislike?

Mating, and sheet metal limitations. The innovative work the Onshape team is taking to mating and sheet metal is both exciting and somewhat frustrating. I support their approach, but I'd like them to realize their complete vision as soon as possible. Int he meantime, sheet metal, in particular, cannot support some of our projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give Onshape a look. Build a complete test project on the platform and talk to the Onshape team about your experience. The benefits of the platform generally outweigh any near-term missing features.

Sharing designs with clients, remote collaboration, and sharing 3D designs with non-design staff. Onshape is the kind of platform that you can find a new use for every day. To tour a design live with a client during a video conference is the most effective communication tool we've found. Then to provide the client access to their design revisions in full 3D interactive detail has been extremely well-received by our clients.

Onshape review by Scott C.
Scott C.

"OnShape makes leading edge 3D cad available to the masses."

What do you like best?

The online processing is one of the best features. This allows you to work from multiple locations on multiple devices and it also allows you to show customers drawings without them having any software.

The price (if you chose a pro subscription) is less than the maintenance fee for other leading edge packages without the up front cost.

No backups required.

No saving of files because everything gets saved.

You can use one seat license if you want since no installation on a machine is required. Multiple people can use the same license at different times from their own machine.

The large quantity and ease of access to training is outstanding.

The frequent updates which add surprising numbers of features is impressive.

If you submit a ticket for a change or feature, you are not only very likely to get it but they tell you when it is available! Try getting that from anywhere else on the planet!

Upgrades are all seamless, invisible, and free.

The list of pluses goes on and one with this package.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the rendering is slow, I suppose depending on the load at the server at the time. But "slow" meaning 15 seconds, not 10 minutes. Most of the time it is quite fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can use the free version which has just about all the features of a pro subscription sans some security features. Even the basic training is free and you can find lots of training on YouTube also.

I was previously using 2D cad because I could not afford to purchase Solid Works for 7K plus maintenance fee each year. That wasn't an option. When I really needed 3d rendering I was using Sketchup which is absolutely junk compared to this. I tried the 360 product from Autocad for awhile until my free trial ran out and was not impressed at all. It is not nearly as easy to use as Onshape.

Onshape review by Ed T.
Ed T.

"From DXF to 3D Solids in 60 minutes flat - First time Solid3D user."

What do you like best?

From the first 2 minutes after signing up for a free Onshape account I realized I could actually use a 3D program. I found the help topics easy to understand and the tutorials very instructive. Even YouTube was filled with examples and lessons. If Onshape promotes this to middle schools and high schools, the current 3D leaders will be eating their dust.

What do you dislike?

Needs instant gear tool for me. More tutorials on drawing thermal form parts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it.

Onshape solves my file issues and everything I do is with me wherever I can login. Does not get any better than this. I am a 64 year old engineer who thought he was not able to master a new level of CAD. Onshape did not intimidate me.

Onshape review by Andy W.
Andy W.

"First impressions"

What do you like best?

Flexibility of cloud working, sharing options and version control. It's very easy to raise questions and/or requests to the OnShape team too.....AND they reply very quickly. Great support.

What do you dislike?

Can be slow to load large assemblies. Noticeable lag when annotating or dimensioning drawings too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be fooled by the apparent uncluttered interfaces in Onshape. It REALLY is a fully featured CAD program as far as I can tell so far. Give it a try and use the comprehensive tutorials as there's a few differences to the more established CAD programs...esp the mates! Onshape were keen to offer a free trial period.

It's streamlining our CAD filing and access. Sharing docs and models with other teams is so much easier now. I can also run the very latest CAD and work from home. No more requirement for top end expensive graphics heavy machines.

Onshape review by David R.
David R.

"Spectacular software"

What do you like best?

I love that there is nothing to download, it automatically updates, there is constantly new content being rolled out, there is no "save" button, I can work simultaneously as my co-workers, everything is synced across all devices, I can add a comment to a point, line, or face, I can share designs with customers without them needing an account or downloading anything, and the top-down approach to design.

What do you dislike?

When I have +100 features, it slows down. The errors messages are ambiguous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's life changing. I don't want to over-hype it, but give the free version a try at the very least. The full software is free indefinitely as long as your files are public.

Iteration is FAST! It's seamless to add features across multiple parts. We can design and 3D print in a single day without batting an eye.

Onshape review by bill c.
bill c.

"Cloud based cad"

What do you like best?

No files! Structuring a project in Onshape is so much easier than any thing we've used in the past. Having multiple engineers working together without the handcuffs of checking things out and locking the up the design process.

Working with parts imported from the cloud blends in seamlessly and in an organized fashion. There's no issues with files in the download folder while my design is in it's design folder. What's pack'n go, what'd that do?

It's always there, no matter where I am. I don't have to be planted at my CAD station to get work done.

The community is positive and very helpful. It's the best environment for mechanical engineers.

What do you dislike?

More people using it.

I'd like manufacturers to embrace the technology freeing me up from BOM & drawings.

I want to finish up a layout, click a button and have my parts arrive at my door step the next door.

Recommendations to others considering the product

absolutely

Designs for motorcycle accessories. Working fixture designs and moving towards automation.

Onshape review by Arturo S.
Arturo S.

"I enjoy using Onshape"

What do you like best?

Onshape work in the cloud. I do not loose any information. I do not need to think in the archives structures, how to save, If I change the name or the file. I can consult the information in my cellphone, in any computer in any place. I can work in any computer, I can use any operative system, If the file is big or small the performance is good (with a little exceptions).

What do you dislike?

Some functionality is not available, the drawing is too limit, and I can not add my own custom profiles in weldments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The interface is very sobrius.

I recommend a lot this application, but I do not have success to convince at anybody to change at this platform. I think that the inexpert people do not understand al the advantage.

Some functionality that you do not have jet.

Invite at customers to made some training to other users about how they solve some real problem in Onshape

I design machines, molds or fixtures. I can use a professional CAD with a accessible price. It too easy show information with customer or provider.

Onshape review by Steven W.
Steven W.

"Future of CAD"

What do you like best?

The benefits that you would expect from cloud based platform - no file control or version management and the ability to work collaboratively. It is very easy to add new users without worrying about PDM and additional IT work. When comparing to other CAD platforms, the low price of OnShape made it an easy choice for us.

What do you dislike?

Configurations (as in SolidWorks) have not been added yet, this is the most important missing feature for our organization. 3D sketching is another large missing feature. I also wish the UI was more customizable, and allowed different background colors to be set. Coloring of individual faces is another important feature that is currently missing. However every three weeks or less new features are being added, and I am confident the needed functionality will be available soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a professional trial and see how Onshape fits into your workflow. There are some differences that take some getting used to, but they quickly become appreciated and intuitive.

Reviewing the training materials, or taking a course can really help accelerate your switch.

OnShape allows us to add new or part-time users at a very affordable cost, which is critical for our start-up organization. Unlike SolidWorks where $5k+ licenses plus subscriptions have to be purchased (not to mention expensive stand-alone PDM software), in OnShape there is only a subscription fee. Since it is cloud based new users can get started immediately, and there is a lot of high quality training material available. Computers also do not need to be expensive workstations to run OnShape.

Onshape review by R. Dirk P.
R. Dirk P.

"Onshape makes cloud CAD reality"

What do you like best?

Being in a manufacturing setting, having the ability to model from my phone on the production floor is huge. I can work on my CAD anywhere I need on any device. I know that is Onshape's tagline, but it is true and it is liberating. Onshape adds new features every three weeks, so it is improving all the time. Onshape's mating system is very unique and makes mating assemblies so much easier. Onshape also has Featurescript which allows users to build custom features. I love that about Onshape.

What do you dislike?

There are still some pretty major feature functions missing at this time. Onshape does not yet have a weldment feature, although there is a featurescript for one until they create a native feature. Although I really like the mating system, it does have a slight learning curve. Mate connectors are used to connect parts together and they are great, but I do find myself creating many custom mate connectors, which can be a bit tedious.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pick a project and try it using Onshape. Try out their features and see if it will benefit your company

Onshape is so easy to get started with. We use several interns which means lots of changeover. With Onshape, we very easily transition between interns. We also easily share CAD information with other departments to update projects we are working on.

Onshape review by Erika B.
Erika B.

"Easy to use, affordable software with frequent updates"

What do you like best?

After using solidworks it was very easy to spin up on and start using instantly. There are some innovative software features, such as the new mating methods for assemblies which make designs and iterations a lot faster. The version control functionality which lets you see and revert to design changes over time is also very useful and easy to use! Finally, the functionality which allows me to send someone without a license a link to allow them to review a design from their browser has been very useful for collaboration! I haven't used many of their other collaboration features, but think they will be very useful as we grow.

Customer support has also been great the few times I've needed to ask questions.

What do you dislike?

Didn't know that I could change the function of mouse inputs (left click, right click, scroll, etc) until the training. I've seen a few people decide not to use the software because they wanted to use the inputs they were used to in previous CAD systems - so good to be aware that there ARE setting which let you change this!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend - especially if you are working on projects which require a lot of collaboration. Take the training at the beginning - it was pretty easy and succinctly demonstrated the features that help Onshape stand out from other programs.

We are designing novel wind turbine technologies. For the most part so far we have used it to develop simple parts that can be fed into a CFD simulation to view how different architectures work in various wind conditions. Onshape works well with SimScale CFD software and it has been a nice pairing.

Onshape review by Marshall W.
Marshall W.

"Great software, constantly being updated"

What do you like best?

Onshape is very feature rich, and it's constantly being updated. The support team is responsive to both bugs, and feature requests, and gets back to you quickly, so problems are never lingering. The part studio setup is also a great feature; being able to design entire assemblies, with all the parts, in one document is great increases productivity, because now you're not opening tons of documents to reference part dimensions, and all the parts update relative to each other in real time.

What do you dislike?

Because onshape is a cloud based program, it's subject to internet problems, and it is dependent on what their servers can handle. I've had part studios crash multiple times, which doesn't lose any features, but I have to restart the page and pick up where I left off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great software with a long future of support ahead of it.

We're using onshape for all of our engineering needs, and it allows us to collaborate incredibly easily.

Onshape review by David H.
David H.

"CAD capabilities for everyone"

What do you like best?

Onshape gives any person the ability to use a CAD platform. If you just need to view a model or are creating complex parts and assemblies it does it all. Most important it does it seamlessly. No more updating software, worrying about compatibility, or saving files.

What do you dislike?

There are always things to be improved but nothing really comes to mind. Knowing they really take your feedback and in an impressive timeline address and update their software, the hardest part is not allowing yourself to say this option is not there or it can not do this. Before you know it a new feature is added or improved to make my life easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, its Free! Never be closed minded to something that has so much potential to making work and life easier.

Designing parts for our products, importing outside files to apply to assemblies, Sharing files. All of this is do effortlessly. It feels limitless. Anytime I feel stuck, I just hit the feedback and send an email. I receive feed back in hours.

Onshape review by Josh L.
Josh L.

"I am an experienced CAD user that has been making the transition to OnShape for the last year or so"

What do you like best?

I love the cloud based experience in Onshape. I love that you never have to click save and never lose anything. There are a lot of really neat features that you will start to discover as you really dig in and start modeling. Collaborating in Onshape with other team members is much easier than my old CAD software.

What do you dislike?

I feel like Onshape is mostly there, but just missing a few advanced features and has some annoying things to get used to coming from other CAD. I don't like the new mate connectors. They are designed to save time and maybe once I get used to them they will, but for now, they work about half the time great, but if I have real parts with tolerances or odd shapes etc, it can be difficult. Really, just minor things that you can get over. For example, in Creo I'm used to right clicking to toggle between what I'm trying to select. In OnShape if you can't see a face you can't select it without right clicking into a menu, choosing, select other, and hoping its in the list... Just little stuff.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot. I find that a lot of things I really love about it. Sometimes you have to change how you think about modeling certain things, but almost always I have found a way.

The cost of the CAD is way way better than our old systems. The collaborative and cloud based features are great too.

Onshape review by James B.
James B.

"Robotics Prototyping"

What do you like best?

I had very little CAD experience prior to learning / using onshape.

I am using the paid version.

Onshape works reliably zero downtime over the last year of usage and when I get stuck I can contact support.

Over the last year my CAD skills have grown significantly and it's starting to be easy to use. I contact support less and less and really love the power of the overall system.

I have an idea .. I draw it onshape, export to simply3d for printing or 3d routing to cut, print it or cut it ... it's like magic.

What do you dislike?

I would like it if the versioning / branching and patterning were more intuitive. Those parts of the system I can see being big timesavers for me if I could use them. I could probably ask for support but so far have not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless there are specific reasons to use another 3d CAD system I would recommend you give onshape a good try. The Onshape system has been very reliable for us, support is normally within a day and support so far at least will simply answer your question 90% of the time. I did get one rude support response that was very unprofessional but I have been a support guy and have been a support manager and know that we all have bad days occasionally.

Designing prototypes and small production runs to be 3d printed via simplify3d and flashforge creator pro and or cut via 3d routers. Eventually the designs will go directly to manufacturers.

Onshape review by Dave S.
Dave S.

"Incredible value for CAD"

What do you like best?

I love that Onshape is available on any computer without sharing files. It makes collaboration so much easier. The interface is extremely intuitive and their implementation of new features is consistent and impressive. Most of all, I love their support. I get same-day answers most of the time, their support is unparalled.

What do you dislike?

There's really not much that I dislike about Onshape. Primarily it would be that there are some important features missing but they come out with new ones very regularly and that is to be expected. Another downside is that they don't have their own simulation suite and those available through the app store take additional time to learn since they're not the same interface and methodology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We still use other CAD programs, including SolidWorks on occasion, because we have very diverse needs. But I recommend you try Onshape, it could easily become your primary system.

Quite simply, we've had CAD for a fraction of the cost that we can use from almost any computer and collaborate with other designers and engineers anywhere in the world. Usually we're close by but it's still nice to be able to open up a model on your phone, take a measurement, and send that detail to a client.

Onshape review by Steven T.
Steven T.

"Effective CAD"

What do you like best?

I like that it is effective we can collaborate online, we can each take different branches and merge them back together selecting the best, from all of our efforts. It allows us coordinate without all of the problems of syncing files or paying for 3d cad add ons

What do you dislike?

When we started onshape was lacking in many of the features we would have liked. In the last year they have been working hard adding features so this concern has gone away for the most part.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have been very impressed with their efforts to add new needed features and to address issues, Updates are painless since the software resides on the cloud

Keeping us all uptodate and collaborating has been resolved much better than with other 3D cad systems that I have used in the past.

Onshape review by Eric G.
Eric G.

"Welcome to Modern CAD"

What do you like best?

Work from anywhere on your laptop. No installation required. Automatic software updates. No data loss. No check-in / check-out. Versionning. Support is awesome!

What do you dislike?

Onshape basics are very simple to understand. Since the concepts are differents from what you are used to, mastering the concepts requires a certain amount of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with one small real project which represent what you do day to day. Take your time to understand the concepts which are powerful once you master them. Use their Feedback tool which is simply awesome!

No more software installation and complicated PC setup. No more servers to manage. No more updates to deal with. No more data loss. No more work with wrong version of a document.

Onshape review by jammie l.
jammie l.

"moving from solidworks to onshape."

What do you like best?

I can open all my projects from my last program solidworks and carry on working from where I left of.

its been a smooth process and the designers have been open with a listening ear and have added the things I requested in updates.

support is fast and they help you with things that flummox you . because of the differences with in onshape but a few pointers and youre flying again.

the tutorials are very good and great for when you need todo something you have not had todo before.

What do you dislike?

dislikes are theres some functions in other programs that are not standard in this but with the customer requests they have said they will look at adding in future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

i highly rocomend they have a free version that is scalled down no support but it helps you get a feel for the program and there are excellent learning how to videos and a course of learning as you go before you decide on buying a yearly subscrition.

its a great program with updates regularly and with customer feedback more functions added. now been using it for 8 months and its already paid for its self 10 fold. so certainly worth its weight in gold to me . i have no affilation at all with onshape apart from being a happy user for 8 months. and looking forward to the future use as it works and is helping with so many projects that just would not be done as fast as it is.

I have been adding the 2d blueprint data from our 1975 modular synth the polyfusion 2000 making it digital I have done the whole project in a few weeks so that I can send the step/dxf files direct to be manufactured knowing it will fit perfect as we can see the tolerances which on paper you cant see.

its also helped with the reverse engineering of parts been out of production 20+ years like the switch matrix for the arp2500 modular system which we have redone and the sealectro pin matrixes.

its also helped in making parts for the diy community to experiment with discrete vactrols and other designs.

Onshape review by Karen W.
Karen W.

"OnShape is a joy to use"

What do you like best?

doesn't crash, no updates to manage, superior technical support, fairly intuitive easy to learn, mating parts is easy, Never have to save and always up to date, training and help feature, total control over access to my files. Don't need a vault or special servers etc is a huge advantage, and my files stay exactly the way I left them.

What do you dislike?

File management and structure can be daunting. It would be useful to show some examples from users who are able to take advantage of OnShapes flexibility in their file management. I think good examples of users structure would be very helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely would reccommend to give it a test drive.

Collaboration with other users in my company is easy especially the ability that more than one of us can make changes to the same part really saves time. The lack of crashing and time used to reboot, load updates etc is very valuable.

Onshape review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"CAD Redefined"

What do you like best?

There is no question on how impressive Onshape is, but when I first got my hands on it in their early release, I was amazed about the idea of CAD in the cloud. I believe the organic, hassle free idea is truly the most powerful feature. Not being worried about licensing, software version compatibility, hardware, storage and upgrade is the key thing that attracted me. The whole nature of CAD in the cloud is by itself extraordinary, because this is a production ready technology to address real world problems in an industry that is extremely demanding about precision, efficiency and versatility. So no doubt two of my colleagues and I got in touch with Onshape company and brought to Portugal College of Art and Design to be the first implementing it widely in the official curriculum and today all our students of Product Design enjoy the new horizon for CAD.

What do you dislike?

Well sometimes I miss multi perspective views in one environment, but I can simply open another browser with the same user and enable another view as well, even on another monitor if I want. Nothing major though, but that would be all, it is a pretty solid technology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try to think differently when engaging Onshape. Just consider it a new thing, don´t try to bring SolidWorks "this and that" or Rhino, Alias, etc.

Understand this is a new software, with new workflows and new ideas so embrace the new, challenge yourself to adapt and enjoy the new concept behind working with CAD in the cloud, but the great thing is that the solid modeling workflow is there with all its principals.

You won´t regret the change!

Highly recommended.

Product Design, CAD, 3D Idea Storm.

Onshape review by Mike E.
Mike E.

"Designing anywhere on any device, ahhhhh"

What do you like best?

Mates with an eye toward animation. I design mechanisms and will sometimes get an animation going for hours. It is amazingly productive to see things go for an extended period before building.

Never losing even a bit of work.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were a good way to replace a part in an assembly with another part. The help site is slow to keep up with updates, and is not strong (most recently important to me) in the area of syntax and rules of math expressions.

It is tough to wrap your mind around the versioning and updating.

I wish there were a near-photo real output; having that be only third party is a pain.

Not being able to edit and create 2d drawings for schematics and such essential diagrams is also needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It costs less than SW, and it is finally capable of a high level of 2d manufacturing drawing package.

We are going cloud on everything to keep from buying another round of servers. This was an essential facet of that.

Onshape review by Glendon K.
Glendon K.

"Long Term CAD Solution"

What do you like best?

The real-time collaboration possible Onshape platform is unique and powerful. This is the polar opposite of other CAD systems that are very sensitive to multi user environments.

Being cloud based, Onshape does not require a high powered computer to run well. It is even possible to design and make changes to your CAD model on a mobile device.

What do you dislike?

As of August 2018, feature parity with some of the other CAD package is pretty weak. Don't get me wrong, it is very powerful and usable. They are developing new features and improvements very quickly. Things like weldments and cutlists are still missing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the trial period pretty heavily to evaluate if the features are there. The learning center is good and is worthwhile to learn how the Onshape software works. It is different but adequate.

Data storage and backup are not problems that we as users and system administrators need to worry about with the whole "cloud" scenario.

Onshape review by User in Biotechnology
User in Biotechnology

"Onshape tries but ultimately fails to provide a better UX than industry rivals"

What do you like best?

Version control, App Store, FeatureScript. Part design is okay.

What do you dislike?

Terrible performance in assembly work. Lacking useful functionality because of design decisions relating to the interaction between Parts Studios, Assemblies, Derive, etc. Terrible performance. Terrible performance. Did I mention terrible performance? Graphics is as best 10-20 FPS on a good day. I see loading graphics animations every 10 seconds in Onshape. This is unacceptable for a production environment. I would rather use older software that runs locally. Web based CAD is not a replacement for Local machine CAD.

Look, if I pay for a product, I expect it to do the job. Showing me the reload times for how bad your parametric engine is at reloading is NOT PERFORMANCE. I shouldn't be spending time dealing with performance issues either.

We've spent numerous hours emailing back and forth with Onshape support, and frequently the response from OS staff is "redesign your assembly to perform better". I'm sorry but that's anti-customer. I'm not interested in sitting watching loading screens for simple PAN AND TILT CAMERA CHANGES. Much less item selection which is dreadful because of the low frames per second.

Dreadful software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have assembly work to do, don't do it in Onshape. For single parts and drawings it's probably fine and performance issues are probably okay to deal with, but the truth is it does not work well for assemblies or derived parts or anything parametric. Give up on using configurations because you will reload every single time you change. Whats the point even?

None. I wouldn't recommend Onshape to anybody who had money to spend on a CAD system. Solidworks is a more complete package and Fusion 360 has better vision for the future of CAD/CAM (hint, local processors and integrated software features). Cloud CAD isn't worth it, Onshape tries but misses the mark for me.

Onshape review by Szu-Hung L.
Szu-Hung L.

"Full CAD functionality on the cloud"

What do you like best?

Onshape possesses full CAD functionality and it's on the cloud. It is very convenient that our engineers can use it's full function everywhere without needing a powerful computer. Everyone accesses to the latest version of not only the CAD itself but also all the design documents. Very good to keep the cost down because we don't need to invest in expensive devices, also don't need to purchase expensive PDM software.

What do you dislike?

Onshape's advantage is also the drawback. The system and all design documents are all stored on the cloud but without any off-line capability. Running Onshape relies highly on the quality of your internet connection, and even with 200 Mbs optical connection, the latency can sometimes become unbearable. Some of the internet service providers don't have high bandwidth to AWS and makes things worse. I believe Onshape needs to provide offline capabilities in the future to attract more users and keep current users in the ecosystem.

As stated in the "What do you like best"

Onshape review by User

"!Great experience to date!"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use, the beauty in the rendered objects (which makes it easier for me to use the software for longer periods of time without getting fatigued), and the simplicity of the layout. Having to use Solidworks now feels like going back in time ten years to some archaic thing. I feel like Onshape is a more consumable product which is a good thing. It is easier to understand and to use, which makes the experience more enjoyable. It feels like it has moved out of the realm of only being understood by highly trained technical experts. I feel like I have more control over my designs without being pigeonholed by the limitations of the software itself.

What do you dislike?

There are some limitations, particularly to do with Drawings. I like my drawings to both be technically accurate but also beautiful & perfectly legible. There are some hang ups here but the latest update has made some improvements (line weight etc), but there is still some work to do here. Nothing which puts me off using it like other 3D modelling softwares in the past.

Recommendations to others considering the product

After using it for a few weeks, you'll loathe having to go back to other modelling softwares. It is far more intuitive and far more beautiful to look at all day, therefore making it a more enjoyable experience.

Using Onshape allows more people within our organisation to be exposed to what we as the design team do. It also allows us to have multiple licences & have other members of the organisation get involved in 3D modelling and remove some of the burden from the Lead design team so they can focus on the tasks at hand. It has allowed our Design team to work more collaboratively and contribute more deeply to a given product which would normally have one person directly working on it. It allows issues & opportunities to be raised earlier in the process which in the past would have been raised near the end - Resulting in re-work. For the work that I do, the faster I can model & therefore the least amount of time spent in front of a computer is a good thing. The faster I can get an Idea from paper into a working prototype, the happier I am - Happiness is important!

Onshape review by Thomas F.
Thomas F.

"The best of parametric modeling "

What do you like best?

When SW came out, they had the chance to rethink 3d modeling. They did a great job, but time change and so do cad users. This means that the new kid on the block with most potential now is onshape. I have been using sw for 10 years and have moved on to onshape. I would hate to go back to sw, knowing that there is a program that is so much faster and intuitive to use. The future belongs to onshape. Dinosaurs like rhino and sw, may they rest in peace.

What do you dislike?

The graphic platform is way to monochrome. It needs character, it's hard to tell the icons apart. Especially me being a designer and not an engineer.

Time saving. No software issues no lost files no crash and lost data. No one ruined your file. Time saving on finding the right version of file for an assembly. And on top of that the platform has fewer klick than other parametric 3d modeling programs.

Onshape review by Florentin W.
Florentin W.

"I can focus on my work, not on CAD problems"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to create a new version of something- be it a sketch, a part, an assembly, a document. If I made a mistake- or if the old was better- no worries, I can just go back to the old version. No work is lost, no files go missing. I am able to focus on creating solutions, not worry about CAD problems.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I am not able to replace components within an assembly. But I am sure that this is something that eventually Onshape will be able to do- in one of the updates that come every three weeks.

I also wish I'd have access to the "Project" type folder on the professional subscription, not just on enterprise (which is a bit more expensive- 20k more expensive).

I don't like that I will need to maintain my subscription to be able to access my files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pick a user and let him work with it for a month. See if he wants to go back to his old CAD afterwards.

I no longer have to update my CAD software- it's always current.

All my files are always with me, wherever there's a computer.

I can share what I am working on without screenshots, but with actual 3D files that everyone can see.

I am able to iterate much faster when still in the concept phase of a project, compared to Siemens NX.

Onshape review by Adrian S.
Adrian S.

"Software very easy to use, very intuitive"

What do you like best?

For me, the best thing about Onshape is the possibility of working on your projects from anywhere, you only need internet connection

What do you dislike?

The biggest problem is when the page is blocked and the server does not respond. With local software, what you would do would be to restart the PC and continue working. With Onshape you have to wait a few minutes for the server to recover to continue working

The biggest benefit we get is to be able to use our CAD design program anywhere, and be able to share designs with our clients so that they can see them directly through their browser, without having to install any program

Onshape review by User

"Compared to other CAD systems I have used, Onshape is like a breath of fresh air."

What do you like best?

There are so many aspects of Onshape which I like it's tricky to say which is best:

I like the completely intuitive user interface.

I love the fact that I don't have to install anything ever!! and then have to update all my user settings.

I love that I can get a client on the phone and discuss an issue with them whilst they are looking at and interacting with the model in real time - all without installing any software.

It is also great to have the confidence that you won't be caught short. You can never forget to bring a certain drawing, model or linked file because you always have all your work with you. Even if you haven't brought your (CAD specific) laptop, you can just log in on any browser and everything is there.

What do you dislike?

The only downside that I can think of at the moment is not really an Onshape issue.

I have gotten so used to not worrying about saving my work in Onshape, I often forget to save my progress when I am using other applications.

Often I am not in the same physical location as my work colleagues. This is now no barrier to collaboration. I can now work on a design project and discuss ideas or even work on the same model (at the same time) with my colleagues (from the other side of the world if need be), just as easily as if I were sat across the desk from them.

Onshape review by Eirik G.
Eirik G.

"Good software but a little ways to go featurewise"

What do you like best?

The cloud-solution. Being able to work from anywhere and get into my projects from any device/computer. No installation! It is also very intuitive and very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

The whole process of exporting files (we usually send .dwg, .pdf and .step to our suppliers/workshop (external)). The process is very manual demanding a lot of operations, exporting one file at a time (2D files from the drawings in tab manager and the step from the assemly). Due to the manual nature, especially if I have to update a part/drawing in the middle of the process causes so much confusion and a lot of human errors. Can definitely be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can’t see myself going back to our old CAD system. Onshape is on the right track. It is still somewhat lightweight, but within a year I think Onshape will have cought up, and surpassed, any tradiotional CAD system.

Just getting to our models/projects faster has been a great change, and keeping different versions in ONE document. Before, we were delving deep into our folders on our server to find our models, and if we had more than 3 different versions, after a while, no one was really sure which was the current/newest version. We didn’t have PDM.

Onshape review by Matt S.
Matt S.

"CAD Made Simple"

What do you like best?

The Onshape workflow is much simpler than that of a conventional CAD system. There's no need to work with a clunky PDM system or worry about losing unsaved work - everything is handled automatically. Branching and merging workspaces allows for different design solutions to be worked on in parallel and then combined with ease. Multiple engineers and designers can collaborate in the same document without running into conflicts and incompatibilities. Onshape technical support is quick to respond to support tickets - even outside of typical working hours. Updates are frequent and explained in detail, with many of the updates coming from Onshape forum improvement suggestions by actual Onshape users.

What do you dislike?

Large assemblies can often slow Onshape down significantly. Users may need to make lightweight versions of large assemblies in order to work on them. Onshape may not be as feature-complete as other CAD packages on the market.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Onshape can be used for free - the only catch is that all files created with a free account are publicly available. This makes it easy to try the software out to see how it works before committing to a paid license. Try making basic parts and assemblies in Onshape with the free license and see how you like it.

Since Onshape handles all CAD data management, we have little need for an in-house IT department to handle an in-house PDM system. Without needing to worry about data or revision management, I can dedicate all my time to value-adding tasks such as designing parts and assemblies.

Onshape review by Executive Sponsor in Venture Capital & Private Equity
Executive Sponsor in Venture Capital & Private Equity

"Professional quality cloud-based CAD"

What do you like best?

It is really useful to apply the advantages of a cloud-based system to CAD software. There is no installation, No IT for in-house servers, no license keys to deal with, no files and version control issues to deal with. Engineers can run the same software in the office, at home or on the road. PLM functionality is built in. An app store model provides easy access to rendering, simualtion (FEA, CFD, etc.) again without any installation or IT support. Sharing designs with team members or outside entities (contractors, vendors, etc.) is very powerful (think Dropbox for CAD).

What do you dislike?

Performance can be challenging running CAD within a web browser. This is particularly a problem for large assemblies or with older computers or slow internet connections. Migrating designs from other CAD systems (e.g. Solidworks) is painful. While it's easy to get the geometry in (e.g. importing STEP files), all of the design history is lost. This means that changes to the design require re-implementation of the changed component. For changes that cannot be performed by direct editing of the geometry of imported parts, you need to go re-draw sketches and rebuild the component from scratch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the free demo version of the software to get familiar. Watch the on-line video training.

I use OnShape for both professional and personal projects. Professionally it is used as the main CAD tool for a team designing an advanced printing system. I also often export models as STL files for 3D printing. Finally, I use the REST API (included for free with the system) for linking the OnShape bill of material information to our ERP system.

Onshape review by David  W.
David W.

"OnShape is great."

What do you like best?

The thing I like the best is the fact that it's built as a database, and nothing ever freezes or locks up. You can always go back to some stable state. You can almost always find a surfacing solution if you are patient.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I have trouble getting OnShape to run because of issues regarding the browser, and the graphics card. I had to change the graphics card in my computer, and I have to use Canary instead of Chrome, at least that has been the case.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Relatively easy to learn. Stable. Excellent support. Great capabilities and a responsive staff that is always introducing new competencies.

We already had a seat of SolidWorks, and OnShape allows me to have a high-performance CAD program without owning a proper workstation. it would not have been realistic to purchase another seat of SolidWorks, and I like OnShape much better anyway.

Onshape review by Kevin E.
Kevin E.

"Great modeling, Drawings and release management have room for improvement"

What do you like best?

My favorite features are the mating features in Assemblies. They are extremely efficient, simple to use, and allow for a lot of functionality.

What do you dislike?

Drawings, specifically dimension generation and revision tables are not very automatic, so there is room for error if not double checking every detail. Release management has room for improvement as well with there only being one generic workflow available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Thoroughly review your needs regarding drawing capability and release management.

One issue I had with previous software is that I am at a MAC based company, so now I can work from my MAC, and from anywhere else for that matter.

Onshape review by User in Aviation & Aerospace
User in Aviation & Aerospace

"Great online Solidworks"

What do you like best?

free for public use

advanced capabilities with rendering and memory (allows big assemblies and parts with complex features)

super short and to-the-point instructional videos that explain their different features and how to use them

What do you dislike?

not much helpful on the phone business(paid) support when you face a bug or a part of your work gets gobbled up magically or the software gets confused with relations or assemblies; because you don't have your files on your machine it's hard to untangle a mess.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, it's free!

watch the videos, as their short and will quickly teach you whatever feature you're thinking of using.

check the available free repository of parts to get an idea of what other people are doing with it

designing parts and assemblies

collaboration and instant saved files; never lose work again, being able to work back and undo all the work that you did in the past year, so no FOMO

Onshape review by Tommi J.
Tommi J.

"Onshape really is a tool of choice"

What do you like best?

When you get deep into your design, experimenting with challenging things, the last thing you need is the CAD to crash, when you last saved 4 hours ago. I've been using onshape professionally for 1,5 years and never experienced a crash. And the continuously evolving system updates frequently and is capable of most things needed.

What do you dislike?

Some surface design features could still improve, and the ad-on apps could have a bit more screening from onshape side before allowed to connect.

It eats all prior files from different systems so it was an easy step to get onboard. Cloud base allows me to work wherever.

Onshape review by Bruce M.
Bruce M.

"Excellent 3d CAD experience"

What do you like best?

The monthly subscription model is perfect for me. Each time I sign on to OnShape, the latest version of the software is used. All of my models are available any time I have Internet available. I do not need any special hardware since all of the computing is performed on OnShape's computers.

What do you dislike?

The unavailability of threaded profiles other than standard fasteners is a bit frustrating. Import of some other CAD files is sometimes incomplete - the instructions for importing some file types is incomplete.

I have been able to create models of my parts and make drawings and exports to other formats with limited resources. The subscription model really works for an individual engineer who needs CAD.

Onshape review by John M.
John M.

"Smooth work flows"

What do you like best?

I like how OnShape will take an idea from traditional 3d CAD (for example: configurations) and will not only implement it into their software; They will give it a complete overhaul. They will get rid of the bloat other CAD packages "provide" but you never use and replace it with something so radical and easy, you will wonder why nobody else has every thought of this.

What do you dislike?

Being cloud based has many advantages. Although that is a double edged sword.

If you crash or lag the server in any way; you have no choice but to wait for the server to time out before you can continue. On traditional cad, you can kill the process if it hangs and just lose a little work, rather than losing time waiting on an untouchable server to clean up after itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice with a free account first. It is fully functional. The only thing you cannot do with a free account is have private documents.

OnShape has a different approach to file management that has a steep learning curve. After some time with a free account you will quickly understand "OnShape's Modeling Theory". From there you can make a better judgement call whether or not OnShape is right for you.

Do not be discouraged if a feature does not exist in OnShape. They update very often, and really do listen to the community. You can create a new feature request and others can vote on it, the more votes the earlier it will be added. You can also create your own features with featurescript if you feel they are taking too long to implement a new feature :)

Modeling complicated parts with many in-context references in Solidworks can be slow and painful. We are not alowed to use in-context with solidworks, as it can break very easily. With OnShape they have streamlined everything and made it more robust, It is a beautiful thing to change or even DELETE parts that other parts are referencing in-context, and the resulting parts are still just fine.

Onshape review by Nick L.
Nick L.

"My Last CAD Package"

What do you like best?

1. It just works!

2. The user interface is as uncluttered as possible.

3. All the options are there for a very comprehensive tool which combined with 2. is amazing

4. Quality and speed of support is brilliant

5. Being able to add your own tools and features

What do you dislike?

I am still looking forward to seeing the result of the work I know is being done on Variables - the current offering is not even the best in the industry!

Diagnosing broken sketches is still tricky so looking forward to sketch diagnostics too!

Also looking forward to better ways to group, label and move (ie manage) items in the design explorer

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its the best there is!

Designing one off pieces of bespoke wooden furniture, so being able to design quickly and from scratch, sometimes with the customer watching, is brilliant. With previous packages, I was spending more time fighting the software than using it.

I can now design and quote in a much more timely fashion and my business is in a better place than it has ever been.

Onshape review by Daniel B.
Daniel B.

"Answers all the issues with complex assembly design and part management"

What do you like best?

Not having to install or maintain different programs is a great blessing. I can share files instantly internally or externally. Being able to collaborate live has made it much easier and faster to design as a team.

The on-line tutorials and training resources are fantastic.

The on-line community is great for asking questions .

I really like the continuous upgrades, without needing to even install anything.

What do you dislike?

Because solidworks is so ingrained in people, it has taken sometime to get the internal users to adopt it. However, once I do a short hands-on drive with them, they get up a running very quickly.

Complicated designs can freeze up a design. Making changes becomes quite cumbersome and eats up a lot of processing time over the web.

The drawing tools still take some getting used to. I would like to be able to have easier ways of creating customized drawing templates, with fields that aromatically update , such as materials, part numbers, and versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the on-line training. It is very easy to use, but it helps to get a quick start.

We can now collaborate live.

Having fully linked designs allows us to maintain up-to-date drawings and designs.

We have already reduced our licensing and costs for software and maintenance. The overhead on managing a PMS tool significantly reduced. This allows us to focus on the design and not the administration.

Onshape review by Brian F.
Brian F.

"Take Onshape with you, wherever you go."

What do you like best?

The workflow with other teammates is fantastic. Love being able to watch each others' screens and seamlessly jump in and out of models with intuitive, and easy to use, revision control. The iPhone app is IMPRESSIVE. I've literally designed components from the backseat of a Lyft ride on my phone, and it feels like magic. Works very well with imported STEP files. Easy to make 2D drawings and update as the 3D model evolves.

What do you dislike?

Loading. If there's one complaint I'd have, it's that on occasion, the models will take longer to load than expected and will be sluggish when manipulating. There have been a few instances where we've run into some bugs with assembly constraints but the Onshape team was very quick to helping us resolve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would highly recommend giving it a whirl.

We're using Onshape to design critical components of our system, high-level FEA analysis (using a plugin), & to run simulations for component / assembly integrations from multiple different suppliers.

Onshape review by John H.
John H.

"Stepping out of the comfort zone"

What do you like best?

Everything is cloud based and the yearly subscription software updates are a thing of the past. The rate of improvements being released is unheard of. Being able to run Onshape from any computer anywhere where there is internet access is a great plus.

What do you dislike?

When you migrate from a mature product to a new venture, it is always a problem when you compare what you have now to what you are getting. All the bells and whistles are in the new product yet because it takes time to catch up when you release a new product. But the rate of the "catch up" phase is very encouraging. I have been an everyday user of Solidworks for more than 20 years and still have a current license because of the transition taking awhile to accomplish. Stepping out of the comfort zone when you have more than 15,000 files invested in a very good mature product is a very tough decision and doesn't come without pains, but Onshape is quickly becoming the way of the future and has almost caught up with all competition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I still have to maintain a Solidworks license during maybe a year or so of transition, I started with a professional Onshape license early on in their development, but then stopped it because they weren't far enough along to drop Solidworks. After they had made some major improvements and advancements, I re-signed up for a professional account and I am going forward. They do have some major advantages and I have been realizing them.

Being able to collaborate with anyone anywhere is a great plus. I can share my documents with anyone in the company without them having to load any software other than signing up for a free online Onshape account. The other big plus is when you work for a large corporation with IT people based at the home office, there aren't tech people onsite to help with yearly subscription installations when the new version of the conventional CAD program comes out. Quite often security updates that have been implemented online by the home office IT group affect your ability to load the new updates yourself. With Onshape, that all goes away. New versions are constantly being applied to the online or cloud based program without any effort or involvement on your part. As soon as all of my machining vendors get up to speed on Onshape, getting files to them to fabricate from will only be a matter of sharing online access to files.

Onshape review by Xavier P.
Xavier P.

"Very promising, but still underdeveloped"

What do you like best?

I like how Onshape allows you to seamlessly a use top-down design approach to your CAD. There are many features within Onshape that support this type of workflow, and it makes building assemblies quite easy. I also like how flexible Onshape is with creating assemblies from parts, and organizing part studios and assemblies across a document.

What do you dislike?

While Onshape has alot of exciting features, it is still underdeveloped in many aspects. Here are a few problems I have with Onshape at the moment:

1. The drawings workspace is missing many features.

a. You can't create an exploded view of an assembly and have that show up as a view, you have to make a separate exploded assembly.

b. You can't manipulate views of a part/assembly. For example, if I want an isometric view of a part, but rotated 180 degrees so I am looking at the other side of the part, I can't do that. There are a set number of views that can be drawn from.

c. You can't point a leader from a note to open space, it must be attached to geometry. While this makes sense that you want to keep elements of a drawing grouped together, it limits your ability to make certain points about what you are describing. Ie. if I am making a drawing of a cabinet, and I want to point to an open space and say that this a specific compartment of my cabinet, I can't do that. I have to attach the leader to a wall of the cabinet, which divides the two compartments but is unclear as to which compartment I am referring to.

2. While configurations just came out, you still can't configure an assembly, which is what I used configurations the most for.

3. To keep performance up, Onshape informed me that separating a project into multiple documents allows you leverage the memory allocation per document to increase overall performance. However, for my project, there are many assemblies that must come together. By dividing my project into several documents, every time I make a change to one assembly and I want it to be reflected in how the assembly fits with an assembly in another document, I must create a new version, and update the linked document, which is very tedious when trying to go back and forth on seeing how two assemblies fit together. Furthermore, when creating many contexts and linked documents, it can be a real challenge to keep track of what is referenced to what, which context should be updated and which shouldn't, and where I want my in-context part studio to live.

4. Keeping track of BOM's. I wish there was a place where I could have all my BOM's for each assembly and subassembly laid out, and get organized from there. Having all of these BOM's live in tabs underneath folders and documents makes it hard to keep track of everything. I've been using OpenBOM and its ability to organize BOM's is underwhelming to say the least.

These are just a few problems I have with Onshape. However, I do understand that it is an evergrowing product and I am willing to be patient with it because I do see the progress being made.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a chance, be open-minded, and patient.

I am developing a new product. We haven't yet realized any benefits that we would have with traditional CAD programs.

Onshape review by Bertel J.
Bertel J.

"Excellent for 3D modeling but the 2D drawing module is missing functionality."

What do you like best?

The part studio and top down modeling. The build in PDM/PLM and the opportunity and to do branching.

The mates in assembly is great. In context editing is Excellent. The opportunity to share documents with customers. It is easy to navigate between parts/assemblies and drawings. The simultaneous sheet metal design.

What do you dislike?

The 2D drawing module is missing a lot of functionality. Should reach almost same level as SolidWorks.

Cannot automatic show the weight of part/assembly in drawing. Cannot edit the cross hatch density in drawings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great and fast for 3D modeling. Great top down design, and no need of server for PDM system. Great sheet metal design module.

Be aware that the 2D drawing module still is a bit poor.

Mechanical and structural design.

The 3D workflow is a lot faster that in traditional file based 3D CAD systems. Great in context editing functionality. Much easier to control versions and no need of PDM/PLM system. Much easier to do review with customers with the sharing functionality.

Onshape review by Tara M.
Tara M.

"We’re in Love"

What do you like best?

Going from Solidworks to OnShape has been amazing. All of our parts imported seamlessly. Their support and education is fantastic. And the interface is intuitive, resulting in a very short learning curve. The top-down capabilities make a massive difference in designing parts and making accurate prints. Cloud-based storage mean we never, ever lose work now. Best part - our computers don’t crash anymore!!

What do you dislike?

We have trouble getting parts from OnShape to our older version of Solidworks when we need to, and the part analysis features are lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the switch and just transfer everything over at once. We had this idea that we would slowly migrate, but it has just drug out the process and now we cry whenever we have to do something quickly and have to use the old system.

Never losing work and having the program work consistently without crashes and without having to pay massive amount for updates is hugely beneficial.

Onshape review by Ed M.
Ed M.

"My world comes alive with Onshape!!! "

What do you like best?

I come from AutoCAD, more directly Mechanical Desktop(MD). So Parametric modeling is second nature to me. I took two semesters of Soldworks in college, but found it creatively limiting. I fought really hard to resurrect MD. I tried Inventor, which was even worse. Once I started to really use Onshape, I realized that planes were basically the same as the UCS in MD, just applied differently. Then I found out that Onshape had the same “3 point” option for planes. It was then that I knew Onshape was the one for me. The final deciding factor was the price. To me, it is a “no brainer”. Sense then they have added “In-Context design”, and many other improvements.

What do you dislike?

My dislikes are, the Version Control, I cannot wait till they change to being able to update a linked document without having to Version the doc. I have cerebral palsy, and with my physical limitations, I do not use a “normal” mouse. So the zooming and rotating of the “screen”, could use some work. I hate that Onshape rotates from the origin, instead of from the part/feature you are working on. At first I was turned off that all my data was “in the cloud”, but then I learned they use dedicated servers, and have a devoted security team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

TRY ONSHAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a single person LLC, so I do not have any “business” issues. Yet, I can see how the collaboration with any other user, anywhere in the world with internet access, is AMAZING!!! Plus, not having to worry about copied files, and all that mess. For me, the yearly subscription is very doable. Especially sense vary little hardware is required.

Onshape review by User

"Onshape is the first major advancement in parametric design tools I've been waiting 10 years for."

What do you like best?

I love the ability to share documents with clients simply by sending them a link. I love that I don't have to install bulky software that whines about nonexistent memory issues. I like that it still works with my 3D mouse and has a lot of familiar features. There've been a lot of improvements and streamlining of the way those features work, too.

What do you dislike?

I have two major gripes I expect will be fixed before long: 1. it needs better keyboard shortcuts or customization of such; 2. the drawing features are still lacking in visual layout precision and automated features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a little weird using a cloud-based CAD service at first, but it gets really convenient fast. The way tools are organized is a bit different from Solidworks, but once you get the hang of how mates work and how extruded body and cut are in the same feature, you'll be breezing through the rest.

As I said, sharing a link to a document that updates as I make changes has been very useful to us and our clients.

Onshape review by User

"Onshape makes client projects EASY"

What do you like best?

I love that Onshape is cloud based and in the browser. I never need to worry about managing data, backing up, losing files, breaking assemblies, or versioning. Its always available to me even on my iPhone app. If a client contacts me and needs something like a solid model from their project, I can quickly access it anywhere I am. Or even better yet, I can enable my clients to export their files from their projects. So handy.

Also, Onshape really makes open sourcing projects easier. I can submit projects to collaborate with the community easier than ever before.

What do you dislike?

There are a few minor bugs I have ever encountered, but they are pale in comparison to the bugs I was having while a Solid Works user.

Also text editing options are not great yet. They are lacking fonts, sizing options, or any real text layout. I usually will get art or logos in DXF format, and Onshape's ability to ingest Illustrator files is pretty poor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it for free. Do one client project and you will see why its better.

1-on-1 CAD sessions have become a key opportunity for me and Onshape has made me a leader in my field. People who sit with me at my office for an hour or two light up at the end of our session when I click the Share button. They watch me work my CAD magic not realising they will have access to ALL of their files at the end of the session. They are always blown away.

Onshape review by Consultant

"good progress but not as fast as I would like "

What do you like best?

the concept of an entire project in one place.

universal access for clients/partners/suppliers.

geometrically robust.

faithful, complete history.

always current version.

oh and by the way... 3D solid modeling over the internet... wow!

What do you dislike?

Often crashes out during modelling, could be my wifi or impatient mouse clicking but annoying.

(Offset to some extent by being able to return without losing anything)

I use a laptop (17") but still find the work space a bit small and crowded and the line weight heavy and large in proportion to the model. I have a good graphics card and sort of expect more fineness. perhaps this is a trade-off to 3D-over the internet.

I am still not sure I full understand some of the medling philosophy but then I am old.

Recommendations to others considering the product

What have you got to loose apart from 50 hours of self-training? Try it, it's a different mindset but that's a good thing.

only small project so far before I become proficient enough to be profitable and risk free. Time is money and I don't have enough time.

Onshape review by Ahmet D.
Ahmet D.

"Onshape for beginners"

What do you like best?

Onshape has a great online training, it is possible to start designing by yourself in a week after the training. A very customer focus team, a question or a problem would have been answered/solved in the same day for sure. When you have an internet connection, you can connect your account from any phone or a computer. Easy to design and edit files, control the revisions. Collaborative work is easy.

What do you dislike?

An assembly with a large number of parts might slow down your speed.

Designing sheet metal parts, making assemblies, working together with colleagues at the same component.

Onshape review by Daryn T.
Daryn T.

"An honest Onshape CAD review"

What do you like best?

Its groundbreaking.

Its intuitive.

its fantastic for collaboration.

I don't have to spend any of my time maintaining / updating the software.

Its priced well.

I can use it on any computer/mobile/tablet that has internet access.

It just feels good to use.

What do you dislike?

Not much, but when I last used Onshape for Engineering Drawings it needed some improvment, but I have to be honest and say that was a while ago and the rate that Onshape is being updated this has most likely already happened.

Recommendations to others considering the product

What have you gt to lose?

You can try Onshape for free, so just try it.

Mostly Engineering Design type problems.

The benefits mirror my comments above

Onshape review by Henry L.
Henry L.

"Onshape for the Maker"

What do you like best?

Web based. I can use it on any platform. Also don't need this hunky large powerful laptop or PC to Use. I love the collaboration feature.

What do you dislike?

Only regret using Onshape is when the internet does not work. I do have difficulty using the app on my ipad but that is a small thing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would be nice if there was CAM options. It seems to a "Oh by the Way< we have a partner who does CAM" I am nervous to implement partner solutions if not thoroughly endorsed by Onshape and with the same level of support.

Robotics platform and small mechanical engineering issues. I like the cost vs return benefit.

Onshape review by Paul A.
Paul A.

"Great for rapid-growth team"

What do you like best?

-Browser-based platform eliminates need for management of individual installs

-Built-in BOM, PDM functionalities further reduce IT cost

-Stable assemblies

-No need for check-in/check-out

-Ship updates monthly, so issues are resolved quickly

What do you dislike?

Still missing some basic functionality found in Solidworks for example (3D sketching, more powerful surfacing,

Performance is locked to server performance and quality of internet connexion (not as smooth as solidworks with good GPU). Mostly a problem with larger assemblies or heavy Part Studios.

Easy to scale up team and add licenses.

Practically zero additional I.T. cost.

Less expensive on a per-license basis than any competitor.

Onshape review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Like a snowball that just gets bigger and better"

What do you like best?

Onshape is easy to wrap your head around, the interface is clean, sharp but best of all its intuitive. The manual is easy to access, but I dont find I need to use it much. The training available and the webinars make it easy.

What do you dislike?

Although progressing rapidly there are simple things that haven't yet found their way into the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a trial, you wont regret it. Onshape is familiar but fresh at the same time. As someone who has used Onshape for a couple of years, I'm astounded by how quickly they have added features and the process requires nothing from me. Open the browser and its all there, with upgrades pretty much every 2-3 weeks.

I spend a lot less time thinking about how to do something in the cad system and a lot more time designing the product. Some of the new additions such as in-context assembly make it so easy to develop your ideas and make changes on the fly. I also find my customers like being sent a link they can use to view the model without big downloads and high powered computers required to view.

Onshape review by Brandon P.
Brandon P.

"The BEST CAD tool on the market. Period."

What do you like best?

I recommend this product to everyone I know that uses CAD or who is looking to get into CAD. It has a great, never-ending, free trial for you to test out all of the features. The fact that it is web-based allows you to do work almost anywhere or on any device. I loved using it for freelance work. I'd be on my phone with the client making edits in real-time with the client. It's easy to learn and incredibly powerful and it's getting better every day. More and more features are being added and the training resources are great.

What do you dislike?

It lacks some capabilities when it comes to surfacing but I never need surfacing for the design projects I work on so it's not a downfall for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just get it. It's really that simple. It's the future of CAD.

Cost, automatic updates, streamlined interface, and mobile.

Onshape review by User in Design
User in Design

"Good product for typical engineering design and great service"

What do you like best?

Configurations and other PDM features are top notch. The ability to link documents, and the use of release management can really improve workflows and productivity in design management

What do you dislike?

Even after much requestes, and the fact that a significant section of the CAD community needs such tools for most design, Onshape still lacks good surface modeling tools. This has to be improved to make Onshape a worthy competitor to other modeling platforms

As we have a complicated Product structure with configured parts, use of Onshape and its powerful configurations and Release Management features has helped us to eliminate the lack of undertainity regarding the status and location of CAD files and not having to spend tens of thousand son a bulky PDM system to then solve that issue