Open Broadcaster Software

(20 reviews)

Free and open source software for video recording and live streaming. Download and start streaming quickly and easily on Windows, Mac or Linux.

Work for Open Broadcaster Software?

Learning about Open Broadcaster Software?

Open Broadcaster Software Reviews

Open Broadcaster Software review by Jaime K.
Jaime K.

"Desktop Capture & Streaming Tool"

What do you like best?

Open source platform. Completely intuitive and user friendly. OBS is a fantastic utility for any screen capture needs, whether for crafting tutorials, recording webcam or external camera video with overlay, multi-source recording or capture. Scene management/profiles are life saving. Plugins, tools and scripts add a ton of utility. OBS also has excellent guides available in the website forum, an incredibly helpful community on a whole.

What do you dislike?

Can take a bit of work to setup compression profiles and tweak bitrate for streaming platforms. Can suffer performance hiccups with poor optimization. Had occasional bugs with new builds but more irritating issues than software breaking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

OBS has become the defacto for live game streaming for a reason, but uses and capabilities of the software far exceed that usage.

The most useful benefit for me so far has been in creating tutorials for toolsets for 3d applications and walking clients through backend CMS management and blogging in WordPress themes. Streaming for entertainment has also been stellar, my favorite of all the video capture and streaming applications.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Open Broadcaster Software
Showing 19 Open Broadcaster Software reviews
Open Broadcaster Software review by Skylar B.
Skylar B.
View Original

"Open Broadcast Software: Fast, easy, and free, with a catch"

Open Broadcaster Software review by Maciej P.
Maciej P.

"Open Broadcaster Software - My review"

What do you like best?

OBS is a program that allows us to record our screen and sound easily. It gives you a lot of features such as creating different scenes adapted to various functions, separating up to 5 different soundtracks (which allows you to easily cut out any sound from your recording) or adding many things to your scene, such as capturing a window, adding sound input and output or adding a static image. It is also worth mentioning that OBS is 100% free of charge.

What do you dislike?

Using OBS, I noticed two main drawbacks. The first one is quite a cumbersome interface for new users. You need to familiarize yourself with this interface to be able to use the software well. The second one is the type of recording. Files are, saved in only one extension.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend OBS to all those who need a good and free program to record images with sound.

Thanks to OBS we can easily record video and sound from our computers. We often use this to record the course of various presentations or other such recordings.

What Video Editing solution do you use?

Open Broadcaster Software review by David B.
David B.

"Most versatile open-source broadcasting software out there!"

What do you like best?

I love the granular control you can get using OBS. I create professional video overlays and transition animations for online podcasts and streamers. The use of layering allows me to organize and setup complex overlays easily. I love the new features being added as well, the ability to add custom scripts to add automation to different events opens up limitless posibilities. I love the audio control, being able to export multiple layers of audio on your video files so that they are easy to edit later. I love the audio ducking feature which allows you to tie in music or other sound FX to your microphone so that when you talk the volume automatically decreases on the peripheral sounds.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have much to dislike. There is a learning curve, but for someone like me that enjoys tinkering around with the settings and can learn software like this quickly I'm just happy to have a free option to reliably stream. I've had occasional crashes but those weren't limitations of the software, but merely the bandwidth of my PC/network.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software is well known and widely adopted. Look on youtube for tutorials getting set up. There are endless amounts of youtube videos detailing different techniques to use in your recordings and highlighting features.

I've been able to use OBS studio reliably to create video tutorials for clients, demos of the content I create and live stream professional looking podcasts. It's also easy to edit videos later for youtube content. Scenes are easily adaptable and you are able to set multiple profiles and scene collections to meet different marketing needs/messaging. This software allows you to quickly adapt your video recordings to the situation with a pretty intuitive interface.

Open Broadcaster Software review by Seth P.
Seth P.

"Open Broadcaster Software is great for YouTube live steams"

What do you like best?

OBS is a great program at a great price (free). The best thing about it is its flexibility, I can do a live stream on YouTube and have it look however I want. I can put a logo over my video, show any window on my computer, and do it at the same time as you see the video from my camera.

What do you dislike?

I have not yet figured out how to do a live stream with other people in other locations with OBS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time researching how to best use this program. There are some things that are confusing about it but there is a lot of great information about how to use it on the internet, especially great tutorial videos on YouTube about it.

I am using OBS to do YouTube live streams from my computer and I want to use something more flexible than Google Hangout. OBS has solved that problem on my current budget of no dollars.

Open Broadcaster Software review by Andrzej K.
Andrzej K.

"OBS - My favorite screen and video capture program"

What do you like best?

OBS Studio OBS Studio is a well-developed solution for recording and broadcasting. It supports Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. The program allows a user to easily tape audio and video materials from multiple sources as well as you can live stream via the Internet. OBS Studio can write video to FLV and MP4 files, based on H264 (x264) and AAC codecs. Also, the software supports Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV) and NVENC technology. Using it is quite comfortable, as you can set up an unlimited number of scenes and sources. Moreover, the program works with the most popular streaming services such as Twitch, YouTube, DailyMotion, Hitbox, and many others.

What do you dislike?

Although the interface is quite clear, you need to take some time to learn how to use the software. Personally, the issue isn't a disadvantage, but I think it's worth to notice, that video software isn't "instant-use."

Recommendations to others considering the product

Many similar alternatives to the software haven't that wide range of features, and you need to pay for them. In contradistinction to the competitor, OBS Studio is entirely free

I used the software to capture webinars from the browser. The transmission wasn't shared after the broadcast, so thanks to OBS Studio I was able to repeat it.

Open Broadcaster Software review by Anna P.
Anna P.

"Works Great, just not my go to"

What do you like best?

I like the updates and compatibility. It is basically the industry standard. Most sites are compatible with OBS (Open Broadcaster Software,) so it makes using it across various sites smooth. Once I had figured out how to set up and link to a 3rd party scene, my experience was immensely better. There are many tutorials out there, that talk about setting up your OBS stream. So that makes it easier to use than some of the less popular options.

What do you dislike?

I prefer Streamlabs OBS for it's library of free templates and ease of use for beginners. This software does work great. If you have a personal set of stream scenes, or link to a 3rd-party one, it does preform perfectly. I just prefer the ease of use of Streamlabs, for adjusting scenes on the fly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Figure out your scenes first. Watch tutorials for importing scenes into OBS (Open Broadcaster Software.) It will help you immensely when it comes time to set up your stream.

I stream to my audience with this software. It allows me to stream my game capture, webcam, music, party chat, etc. Once you are more familiar with streaming and setting up scenes, it becomes easier to use. It allows you to set up alerts and notifications as well. I like that OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is the most frequently used OBS, and works well across several different platforms. There is support for many side programs as well.

Open Broadcaster Software review by User in Internet

"Functional, Powerful, Simple"

What do you like best?

I've used this software both personally in live streaming and professionally as a capture program. Professionally, OBS is phenomenal. You have the full ability to control exactly what you're capturing, and it can be arranged and configured exactly how you'd like. Personally, the program is equally strong. The program's "Free" status makes it highly appealing both in business and personal use, and live streaming through OBS is as easy as knowing the target server, stream key, and setting up your device to display.

What do you dislike?

The only frustration I've experienced with OBS is not even necessarily to the fault of OBS: it doesn't always play nicely with antivirus software. Bitdefender is the biggest known clash that I've both experienced personally and read online in several forums.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend looking through the OBS forums, FAQ, and other users' examples and posts to get an idea of the full extent of OBS's capabilities. There are numerous ways to integrate with other services (e.g. StreamLabs) and streaming services (e.g. Twitch, YouTube), and integrating overlays is simple and intuitive.

When I was looking for live-streaming software, my greatest considerations were (1) price, (2) ease of use, (3) reliability, and (4) diverse customization options. OBS has met and exceeded all of these expectations. No price tag means testing and using without spending a dime. OBS is incredibly simple to use, and whenever you're lost, their FAQ and forums are fantastic resources. OBS's support is fantastic, and they're incredibly transparent about current issues, bugs, and intended fixes/upgrades. Finally, OBS allows me to display and integrate any files, programs, or widgets that I need, allowing me confidence in creating my own personal brand and feel when live-streaming or recording.

Open Broadcaster Software review by Lorena R.
Lorena R.

"Quick Solution to a Streaming Problem"

What do you like best?

I like that the software is pretty easy to navigate once you jump in and get going.

I like having the options that are available to me with social media with OBS. Being able to reach more people at one time and giving them advance notice has been a game changer!

Everything works in layers, making the process smoother.

Also, it’s free!

What do you dislike?

I didn’t like how overwhelming the control board was, when I first looked at it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give yourself time to get the software set up and to play around with what you are broadcasting, if you are new to streaming or sharing.

OBS makes it easy for the whole team to set a reminder and click right into the live broadcast.

I can connect with people in different communities all at once, live.

I save money by using this free software.

I like being able to add multiple inputs for either audio or video for streaming.

Open Broadcaster Software review by Skylär A.
Skylär A.

"The worst software in history"

What do you like best?

It does not have anything good. I suggested a function in the "community" forum and they blocked me, they are censors and when I ask for explanations in social networks they block me, they are terrorists and they do what they want, without listening to the community. Everyone uses it for being free, but it gives a lot of problems and is not recommended at all, I personally forbid its use.

What do you dislike?

- It is unstable.

- Break the recording

- Consumes more than 3GB RAM when recording

- The longer you record the more CPU consumes

- In the forum they are censors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stop using it and change to a better one like Streamlabs.

It's a shit, they should delete it from the map and stop using it.

Open Broadcaster Software review by Rebecca M.
Rebecca M.

"Great for many different recording devices."

What do you like best?

This software gives you the opportunity to record high quality sound recordings- so long as you have some kind of microphone input. I do not recommend recording straight from the device where the application is running.

What do you dislike?

It can be tricky to make sure all of your settings are correct based on the input, but that is where online forums and tutorials come in handy!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you take the time to research how this program works, you should have no issues with creating high quality content.

Using this software, my business was able to record our own radio advertisements. We were able to record video and audio separately, so we now have "commercials" as well. This would not have been possible had we gone into a studio to record, nor would we have the creative freedom to mix the radio spots ourselves.

Open Broadcaster Software review by Sam M.
Sam M.

"OBS is great!"

What do you like best?

I use OBS personally and as well as work related. It captures the screen well and you are able to customize many things within OBS.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't say that OBS is user friendly because I had a hard time figuring it out myself. There's a lot of things you need to change within the settings especially when it comes to lag and network. I had to do a few workarounds myself.

It's a great screen casting and capturing software. Its stable for computers with the basic graphics.

Open Broadcaster Software review by Mike H.
Mike H.

"Great free software for screen capture"

What do you like best?

OBS makes it easy to make screen capture videos and tutorials, great for making training videos for Youtube. It takes knowledge sharing to the next level, you can produce videos to show people how to do anything by capturing the screen.

What do you dislike?

on my laptop, the window capture does not always work as it is a dual video chip laptop (intel and nvidia), so I have to capture the entire display to get it to work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

use OBS Studio, it has more features than the older OBS and it is much easier to use

making how-to videos for co-workers

Open Broadcaster Software review by Mike E.
Mike E.

"Solid Recording Software"

What do you like best?

Open source, easy to use, all the features I need to make training videos

What do you dislike?

Internal documentation is not great, but plenty of online videos are available.

Needed to crank out some training videos for a small website with a limited budget, this fit the bill!

Open Broadcaster Software review by Jie F.
Jie F.

"Free Broadcasting and Excellent Software "

What do you like best?

Very quick to get up and running and loads of 1st and 3rd party integration. Lots of customization potential for overlays.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't run very well on Mac. Seems to need more optimization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Free open source software that is a go to for lean productions.

Free software to add overlays to and record or live media.

Lots of open source options to expand functionality

Open Broadcaster Software review by User in Design
User in Design

"Open Broadcaster Review"

What do you like best?

Great screen capture software. Easy and nicely designed interface for user output. Very easy to use! Awesome internal video and audio screen recorder. Prime software for video capture plus editing.

What do you dislike?

Not applical, please refer to the help guide sector for support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please toggle software to find best user input and output.

This software program is of great benifit for the user to help capture and record clients screen for image and video output. Main benifts of program are the ease of use and fun capabilities of video, image and audio capture.

Open Broadcaster Software review by User in Investment Banking
User in Investment Banking

"OBS A Powerful and Easy to use tool for VLogging"

What do you like best?

I have kept OBS through the several streaming platforms used over the years and it has performed flawlessly on all of them.

What do you dislike?

Some high end features would be nice, e.g. cropping (horizontally on the live video feed for insertion into the main video and production interface more suitable to live streaming with a "producer"

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since the demise of Microsoft's Movie Maker OBS is our preferred solution for live streaming and editing.

Getting the word out in 15 seconds at a time.

Open Broadcaster Software review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Streamer Software"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Software has many built in tools for streamers making it easy.

What do you dislike?

Some things are not explained that well requires outside help.

Solving how to reach my customer base efficiently and consistently.

Open Broadcaster Software review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"OBS makes it easy to live stream and produce videos"

What do you like best?

I am enjoying the diversity of features offered by OBS.

What do you dislike?

I've struggled with some of the setup, but once you get going it is a lot easier to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take things slow. There are a lot of helpful tutorials on YouTube.

I chose OBS as a tool to use while I am producing user tutorial videos.

Open Broadcaster Software review by User in Hospitality
User in Hospitality

"Powerful streaming software for both basic and power users "

What do you like best?

It is highly customizeable in both streaming and recording options. It has a very simple but also powerful UI to tailor settings based on the user's computer setup.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it will randomly crash, and it is hard to backup the settings.

Using it to run a easy twitch stream solution

Learning about Open Broadcaster Software?

* We monitor all Open Broadcaster Software reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.