Open DNS Umbrella

A cloud-delivered network security service that protects any device, no matter where it’s located.

Work for Open DNS Umbrella?

Learning about OpenDNS Umbrella?

Open DNS Umbrella Reviews

Showing 33 OpenDNS Umbrella reviews
OpenDNS Umbrella review by Jesus P.
Jesus P.

"Easy solution"

What do you like best?

It provides effective solutions to institutes, schools, universities, libraries and other learning centers, as far as internet is concerned. With your help, communication between different departments in a study center is more efficient. All connected through the network provided by this company.

What do you dislike?

It has certain security problems that should be fixed. Another drawback that I find with this service is that when searching for a non-existent domain, it sends you to an OpenDNS search space, called OpenDNS Guide, this site shows search results as if the web domain really existed, when in fact it does not it's like that

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is easy to use, easy to configure and manage. It is ideal for institutes, educational centers, libraries, schools and universities, as well as at home. This security improvement fixes certain problems present in previous versions.

Connection between the different departments of the university, including the internal schools to this and the library. Facilitating communication between different workers and administrative staff.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Open DNS Umbrella

"Simple and Effective"

What do you like best?

As an MSP Open DNS Umbrella offers a single portal to manage all your OpenDNS customers. The policy builder is simple and easy to use, and the basic implementation of the system can be done (including the deployment of VAs and AD connectors) within an hour.

PSA integration and deployment from an RMM also makes deployment of this product very painless.

What do you dislike?

With the MSP version AD integration is only possible with the use of a virtual appliance for the AD connector to talk to. This restricts the deployment to smaller or purely cloud based customers.

We currently Open DNS Umbrella for providing a comprehensve DNS level security for customers who do not require a content filtering platform.

We also have a number of customers who work and offer services to vulnerable children and adults. Open DNS allows our customer to provide a safe and secure environment for their service users.

What Cloud Security solution do you use?

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Jake S.
Jake S.

"Inexpensive tool for bandwidth and content control"

What do you like best?

The best feature to me is the accommodation of sites with static IP's. Their application keeps everything working by automatically updating IP addresses on the account

What do you dislike?

We use some mediocre Linksys routers at our smaller remote offices that do not allow limiting the DNS that is used. To fix this, we have initialized group policies on each machine to prevent the service from being circumvented.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only limitation I found was that in some offices, I could not limit the traffic from alternate DNS servers at the router level. Savvy users easily circumvented.

A lot of our smaller remote offices have limited bandwidth, where streaming video or music can make the VoIP call quality suffer. Cisco Umbrella helps with this.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Vince A.
Vince A.

"Super easy security addition!"

What do you like best?

Umbrella when used in conjunction with the on site virtual machines is so fantastically simple to use, it makes deployment a breeze! Deploying the OVAs and pointing your clients to them is as easy as deploy, block and done! Anyone can do it.

What do you dislike?

Generally speaking, Umbrella is a bit on the slow side to update clients with new security settings. While I do realize the time is also dependent on your own network speed, the push from the cloud dashboard to on prem would be a ton better, if you were able to manually set the sync instead of waiting for the time period.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't consider!!BUY!!

Clients tend to use the company network as their own personal home network, and with Umbrella, I can not only limit that, but block what I want to, when I want to. Productivity should rise when not all of the users can browse facebook and social media at work like they used to.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Evan L.
Evan L.

"Some worthwhile points to consider, but implementation documentation can be confusing."

What do you like best?

I like the idea of DNS query filtering beyond what's typically available at no cost. I like the ability to do reporting on the data to get insights not typically available without manually collating DNS lookup data. I also like the idea that if DNS results are returned for malicious websites or services you can point a finger at your vendor and that provides some CYA.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the implementation documentation, the confusing nature of the setup calls, and overall the idea that the sales people don't really grasp the technical requirements for enterprise rollouts. They just sell sell sell and really don't take the extra time to learn current architecture, caveats, etc. They solution requires virtual appliances (which they weren't very helpful designing architecture) and installing agents on the domain controllers (which they also weren't exactly upfront about). They left me and my team to learn the ins and outs and design the rollout. We also had to enable different audit logging on our domain controllers and they didn't tell us that either.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at other options, vendors, etc. Beware of implementation pitfalls and unhelpful sales/tech staff at OpenDNS.

DNS queries by malicious actors or software are no longer being served. We have a better understanding of what domains and subdomains are regularly requested and visited. We also feel more prepared when it comes to being proactive with security.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Ted J.
Ted J.

"DNS on steroids"

What do you like best?

With the new appliances that are available for on-site deployment, being able to integrate with AD for increased granularity in metrics and visibility is superb. They also allow for split DNS processing for internal and external DNS queries which also further harden the DNS infrastructure from client workarounds.

What do you dislike?

The initial deployment can be interesting as the permissions required for some of the agent/scripts is not something that may be in place already.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just give it a try with a good partner, you will not regret it.

Umbrella allows for the filtering on DNS queries to enhance security at a very base level -- allowing for lower workloads on IPS/firewalls in the organization.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by David A.
David A.

"Cisco Umbrella"

What do you like best?

The Cisco Umbrella product works great for both Malware protection and web filtering. At its basic level it will provide malware protection when forwarding DNS requests to it. Easy to setup for a MSP. It can be setup to drill down to the user level for web filtering and more.

What do you dislike?

The product does take a little bit of training to get all the functionality. Between roaming computers and properly setting up policies.

The malware protection alone slowed down the volume of calls received because of infected computers. It also allowed us to offer web filtering to our clients with an easy setup.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Kyle R.
Kyle R.

"Good for Remote Offices"

What do you like best?

I love the easy deployment and the accommodation of sites without static IP addresses. They have an IP address application that automatically updates the IP address on the account identity to keep it working.

What do you dislike?

Without a high-end router, the service is fairly easy to circumvent. Our mid-grade Linksys routers at our smaller branch do not allow for limiting the DNS that is used. To accomplish this, I have to initialize a group policy on each machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure that you have the ability to limit the DNS IP accessed from each device on your network.

This has been especially helpful at our locations that have limited bandwidth. Locations where a streaming video or music application can make phone calls suffer.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by User

"DNS "

What do you like best?

Excellent software. So far we are using Umbrella mostly to filter content on public networks at our public library. It works great and was so easy to set up. We chose it because it gives us the ability to unblock sites immediately on patron computers when they request, instead of making them submit and then wait for a response.

We are extremely happy with the product and will continue to use it.

What do you dislike?

Base pay much lower than similar roles at other companies. Sales org still working out lots of process kinks. The closest thing to a con is the speed at which we're growing (fast!). It can create challenges.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it, in my case it worked with total security, I had no problems

I use it in my home computers as a security software, with the idea of ​​maintaining my privacy in the network.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Joe F.
Joe F.

"Simple yet powerful"

What do you like best?

Open DNS is easy to manage and maintain. Set it and forget it. It provides fast DNS resolution and basic content filtering.

What do you dislike?

It is not a bullet proof solution to all situations.

By using Open DNS we are able to provide faster DNS Name resolution than is possible from our ISP. While there may be other solutions Open DNS provides a free solution that works for us.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Bhavesh L.
Bhavesh L.

"Open DNS Review"

What do you like best?

OpenDNS provides comprehensive security solution to protect against malware, ransomware and cyber threats.

What do you dislike?

The pricing structure and the fact that it started as an open source platform and after Cisco acquisition, the product pricing is significantly high

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate other products too in the space however OpenDNS does provide a customized option which others may not.

It is used to secure our diverse user base from malware over the internet. It also allows us a customized block/access list option which other tools don't. All in all, the product is very good however the pricing is something that is concerning. I would still recommend Open DNS.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Adam R.
Adam R.

"Great Product!"

What do you like best?

I love that this product prevents users from going to certain websites only using DNS. Saving on bandwidth by not loading the webpage first.and blocking content by using Open DNS servers to determine the category of the site. I believe that this product out performs other content blocking products out there. Very easy to add domains to white lists and they are live within minutes of implementing.

What do you dislike?

I have not come across anything I dislike at the moment.

This solves an issue of endusers going to non productive sites such as social media and streaming radio sites, resulting in more productivity from end users.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Open DNS Umbrella Review"

What do you like best?

DNS Security is one of the layers of security that our company uses to try and avoid end users bringing in malicious malware via the internet. Cisco's DNS Umbrella is nice because it is cloud-based and very easy to manage.

What do you dislike?

My only dislike is that the canned reports that are in DNS Umbrella are not all that helpful and the cost of DNS Umbrella has gone up significantly in the past few years.

DNS-Security is an important defense against end users going to malicious sites on the internet. The benefits are that there are less workstation rebuilds due to malware and less risk of users getting redirected to a malicious site on the internet due to a phishing scam or something similar. Overall, it is another solid layer of defense in our defense-in-depth strategy.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Todd T.
Todd T.

"OpenDNS - Great Product - Huge Coverage "

What do you like best?

Where do I start:

OpenDNS has a unique means of blocking threats before they hit the endpoint. It's the equivalent of stopping the threat at the street before it's at your doorstep.

The platform reduced the volume of threats hitting our endpoints by upward of 80% after full deployment.

The Umbrella Agent installed on endpoints keeps everyone secure as they travel, and also leaves an incredibly small footprint on the device.

Deployment is simple - it's a flat .msi file for Windows, and a small .pkg and bash script for OS X that can be bundled and executed via MDM Agents such as AirWatch or MaaS360.

Having the ability to control policy based on site, endpoint, and AD allows the flexibility any large or small corporation needs.

Their accounts management and product team are very receptive of feedback and are a pleasure to work with.

What do you dislike?

Not much honestly.

They could improve their user management features to allow a bit more streamlined bulk operations for admins. Right now it doesn't scale well when it comes to user life cycle in the dashboard.

They could also improve upon what constitutes as malware and botnet. It can at times come off as white noise. They're working on it though so it's a minor complaint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seriously - Get them in your security stack. They're worth every penny with all their offerings, and they're just getting better every year. Best security decision we ever made for endpoint management. Couldn't emphasize that more.

Stopping threats before they hit the endpoint was the biggest reason we started using OpenDNS. We didn't want to just rely upon office firewall definitions stopping malware, and antivirus on the endpoint.

Using OpenDNS brought huge benefits almost immediately in that we weren't constantly responding to compromised endpoints anymore. We didn't have to burn the time reimaging trashed machines. The time we saved in the first few months alone are incalculable - Especially in the AsiaPAC and EU region where a vast majority of their regional internet landscape is rife with compromised servers.

"Open DNS Umbrella"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. Quick to implement. Virtually invisible to the end user. Efficient in website monitoring and protection. Rollout was quick and simple. Easy for end user to install.

What do you dislike?

more expensive than other solutions. Does not contain dramatically more features than free version/usage of open dns.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a feature rich, custom DNS, easy to use solution, highly recommended. Distribution to end users is quick and easy. Simple client app to be installed on each computer. Can be done by user themselves.

Monitoring employee website usage. Prevention of navigating to dangerous websites. Feature rich custom DNS management as part of overall corporate network infrastructure.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Sabrina T.
Sabrina T.

"Great option for a web or content filter "

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use best! I think it's super easy to get the hang of it

What do you dislike?

I haven't noticed any issues or big problems that I would dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and be sure to use all the features before making your final decision.

It's really just made the filtering process much easier and made the company and our clients feel secure.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Ilias T.
Ilias T.

"The best enterprise level protection"

What do you like best?

Great and always up to date for malwares

What do you dislike?

Pricing is not very flexible for SMEs, hard to negotiate if you are not huge company

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth spending time on the setup and plan this properly. This way only you will get the best out of this product

Great support levels from cisco when required. Always there when needing business level support even when in crisis times

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Administrator

"How well does it work?"

What do you like best?

I feel that it I an easy layout. The layout is very self explanatory. I only had a few questions about it.

What do you dislike?

I think when trying to fix an issue when I did have one I had a hard time figuring it out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I feel it made our company work more efficiently. The layout was easy to understand. The setup was fairly easy.

I feel that having an open DNS it was slower during certain times. I feel there were certain times it didn't work as well as other times.

The benefits was it was easier to connect to multiple devices easier.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Esteban D.
Esteban D.

"An excellent alternative solution"

What do you like best?

As a product of opensource, it is easy to set up and make it useful in your way to match your Enterprise or dr Strategy.

What do you dislike?

Not a great user experience and could use some fine tuning

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very good and useful product

Solved ability to have DNS in DR backup site, locally, and in the cloud. So m immediate ability with ttl

OpenDNS Umbrella review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Very effective software which allows me to get my work done in an orderly fashion."

What do you like best?

This software allows me to stay on top of my work load by securing all of my projects within my team.

What do you dislike?

The only negative side to this software is the help center isn't always there for support when a problem occurs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software has a very good backbone and is definitely heading in the right direction. I highly recommend any user to use this program for daily use.

I've realized this software has allows me to get more work done and has me stay more productive and on top of day to day tasks.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Teresa G.
Teresa G.

"Open DNS Umbrella Review "

What do you like best?

Easy to install, great product. Backed by Cisco Threat Intel group Talos.

What do you dislike?

The product is not the most user friendly and does take a little bit of training to get all the functionality.

The malware protection alone slowed down the volume of calls received because of infected computers which has been a wonderful addition.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"OpenDNS Umbrella is now Cisco Umbrella"

What do you like best?

I'm looking forward to having this product better integrate with other Cisco products. I do like have a web-based product for management for web-based attacks.

What do you dislike?

Limited control. Would like more granular control of the environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it's a great product and you can get started pretty easily. Also, I"m really looking forward to more Cisco integrations.

Web filtering for staff and protection against foreign threats. I do like how this product lets us have more control of what type of activity is occurring on our network.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Administrator in Accounting
Administrator in Accounting

"Open DNS is THE only business filtering solution you need"

What do you like best?

I love its ease of use as well as its ability to manage our companies internet policy building wide.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike about OpenDNS. They are the leader in the field in my eyes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is really no reason to shop around when it comes to business internet protection and website access management. Open DNS Umbrella is the best

We are using Open DNS Umbrella to secure our business internet from threats and to monitor and block harmful or distracting website from our employees

OpenDNS Umbrella review by George H.
George H.

"Simple web filtering solution"

What do you like best?

Simple cloud deployment and management. Flexible reporting. On premise appliance to ease deployments.

What do you dislike?

Limitations of using a DNS-based solution mean content filtering isn't as powerful as other solutions.

Needing a simple low-cost filtering solution

OpenDNS Umbrella review by User in Computer & Network Security
User in Computer & Network Security

"Cisco Umbrella"

What do you like best?

It uses the internet’s infrastructure to block malicious destinations before a connection is ever established.

What do you dislike?

The support, you cannot contact them via phone only thru email. This does not always allow your issue to be explained the way you'd like it to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Well worth using but only makes sense if you have 100 users or more.

We are using it as a filtering product, it works great when added to other products that do the same.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by M.Todd H.
M.Todd H.

"OPEN DNS"

What do you like best?

It is very robust and does a great job in all situations

What do you dislike?

Changes don't take effect immediately, so it's hard to be sure of them

Recommendations to others considering the product

Deploy immediately

Easy protection from inappropriate or dangerous sites

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Joe C.
Joe C.

"Open DNS umbrella"

What do you like best?

The security it provides and savings from hardware cost

What do you dislike?

That it's only provides security through dns not other end point perimeter devices

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm in my trial period, but from what I see it's a useful tool to have

Solve vulnerability and security threats such as malware

OpenDNS Umbrella review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"My open dns umbrella review "

What do you like best?

I like the ease of Usenet in Open DNS to helpmwith web browsing and web contents filtering

What do you dislike?

I dislike having to login to Open DNS over and over again and not being able To add multiple accounts for free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Open dns tonusers wanting more efficient web browsing and easy web contents filtering for home use.

None at this time

OpenDNS Umbrella review by User in Hospitality
User in Hospitality

"Great for keeping confidential informations safe!"

What do you like best?

Being able to trust an application/program with sensitive and confidential information feels great - not only for our clients, but our employees.

What do you dislike?

Not a huge complaint, but keep in mind it won't block ALL phishing URLs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When needing to protect company information, this is a great tool.

We're able to monitor usage of information and control as necessary.

"Solid DNS protection"

What do you like best?

The best part about Umbrella is the ease of management and the ability to handle either individual client installations or network level.

What do you dislike?

The reporting is not the most robust but it is improving.

We have been able to provide DNS level protection to help ensure our endpoints and networks are as secure as possible.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by User in Utilities
User in Utilities

"Best DNS Solution for home use"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that I can use Open DNS to filter the Internet for my entire home.

What do you dislike?

I would like the option of using my account from the homes of extended family.

I am using Open DNS for home Internet filtering.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Open DNS Umbrella Review"

What do you like best?

Very easy to deploy and manage across multiple organizations.

What do you dislike?

Can be a little cumbersome when you first setup/configure it.

Protecting users from malicious Internet activity even when out of the office.

OpenDNS Umbrella review by User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Positive results "

What do you like best?

The confidence in the security that is provided

What do you dislike?

There are

Minor technological glitches.

Securing financial records in the cloud

Learning about Open DNS Umbrella?

* We monitor all Open DNS Umbrella reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.