Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

Signal

(38 reviews)

Making private communication simple.

Work for Signal?

Learning about Signal?

Signal Reviews

Showing 38 Signal reviews
Signal review by Oksi V.
Oksi V.

"Signal - a messenger for those who are worried about security "

What do you like best?

Signal is a free open source application available for Android, iOS, and personal computers. The application implements end-to-end encryption, which allows Signal users to send encrypted group and individual text messages, photos and video files, as well as make encrypted phone and video calls. As contacts in Signal telephone numbers are used, but data transmission is carried out via the Internet and therefore the application requires the connection of both interlocutors to the network

What do you dislike?

In my opinion an excellent messenger for those who are worried about their safety. I did not find any shortcomings, everything is very personal

Recommendations to others considering the product

I was always embarrassed by safe instant messengers

However, more and more people are looking for similar messengers with complex protection algorithms, self-destructing messages and encrypted calls. And now there is an application for such purposes - Signal.

At work I use the Signal messenger. With him, I am confident in my safety that no one will read or hear my messages and calls. I correspond in the Signal messenger with my colleagues, we solve small business problems, and also make plans for the working day. Moreover, we have created an encrypted chat, now no one can truly read our correspondence

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Signal
Signal review by Janet C.
Janet C.

"Good secure messaging app, but with limitations"

What do you like best?

I like that it is secure (encrypted) which is why I started using it. I also like that it can do video calls (similar to FaceTime).

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes slow and laggy as it updates messages upon starting up. You can only send one photo at a time, which can be cumbersome. Settings are limited -- you cannot choose what contacts show up. Contacts on each end must have Signal, so my other contacts with Signal show up, without any input from me, whether we chat on Signal or not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Signal works on iOS and Android phones as well as desktop versions. I made the mistake of trying to install Signal on my iPad as well, and it wiped out my phone version so I had to go through the reinstall and delete the app on my iPad.

The biggest benefit for me is that Signal works over wifi or cellular. I am often in non-cellular areas, so communications can still happen easily over wifi.

What Internal Communications solution do you use?

Signal review by Marin K.
Marin K.

"Secure and simple"

What do you like best?

I have used Signal for over 3 years for sensitive conversations or things that do not need to be part of history. It is the most secure app out there when it comes to data sharing. You can set timer for the duration of your messages after they have been seen from the other person and that for me is a great feature. It also has the best end to end encryption code which is also used from WhatsaApp. I mean if it is safe for Mr.Robot to use it than it is also for you.

What do you dislike?

One strange procedure in Signal is that to chat with someone you must have his/her number, something which not everyone is down for. Also in a group conversations(Yaay I'm part of a group...Wait!) every member joined has his number listed while you're chatting the people that are not listed in your contacts appear with just their phone number which can be confusing because you don't know who you're talking to.(This can appear as a problem in big chat rooms)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd use it for private conversations and non permanent discussions.

With Signal i communicate with friends or colleges mostly for confidential stuff, i wouldn't use it for project managing. For that purpose i would use apps like Telegram.

Signal review by Michael B.
Michael B.

"Currently one of the best Privacy Chat Apps"

What do you like best?

In 2019, with apps increasingly leaking private data, and information, Signal stands alone as one of the few privacy-focused chat apps that does what it says on the tin. Secure chats with friends, sync to PC and chat there, it's great. It's my go to chat app and has been for a while, and the ease of knowing my conversations are free from prying eyes is comforting.

What do you dislike?

There are a few negatives with Signal. #1 - there's a sync issue between Android and desktops that sometimes causes your desktop signal to become out of sync. Secondly, there are no public chatrooms like you might find on competing products. Last but not least, and possibly not necessarily a con, but an issue in general - folks who aren't on signal don't grant you privacy. Instead, the app defaults to normal SMS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at the news and competing products to see which of these products truly are private. Many of the private messengers actually arent.

Privacy. Benefits are peace of mind mainly.

Signal review by Konrad K.
Konrad K.

"Signal - One of the best communicators"

What do you like best?

Signal is open source project. This program offer us very good communicator. Privacy comes first so our messages, photos, videos and conversations are end-to-end encrypted so that nobody can see our messages. Signal has many useful options, for example we can set the time of displaying messages. This program is available on the biggest platforms something like Android, iPhones and desktops. Next advantages is that Signal is free for all.

What do you dislike?

In my opinion interface should be more modern and changeable according to our preferences. Sometimes I got a little lags. In addition, I did not notice any more significant defects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If u want to be safe you should start use it because Signal offers us very good hedges. Signal is free so you do not need to pay for good and safe communicator.

Now i can send messages without fear that someone can interceptor messages or conversations.

Signal review by Shaundarel B.
Shaundarel B.

"My review of Signal"

What do you like best?

The app itself is very easy to use. When it was suggested to me by some friends, I was skeptical about the privacy of it. In this day in age it seems everything is catching some sort of personal information from us. I've had this app for over a year. I use it to stay in touch with family and close friends in emergency situations. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in helping safety of their conversations. It makes it easy to add them to the app itself and even set specific group chats as well. I will continue to use it.

What do you dislike?

It is a little plain to the look and feel. It could use more customization options.

I currently only use this for family and close friends or to message my boss as it protects confidential information we speak about.

Signal review by Laurel S.
Laurel S.

"Great for secure, linked, and on the go communications"

What do you like best?

Signal allows me to communicate with clients and co-workers across platforms, no matter where I am. The conversations carry over from desktop to laptop to mobile with no loss of information. The service is quick and secure, and it's free. You have the option to save messages or delete them for higher security. You can also send files via Signal, and it has an option to send audio messages (which I have not tried).

What do you dislike?

It's not well known as a messaging platform, so I have to educate people about it and convince them to install it on their devices. Although messages are encrypted, it's not unbreakable, so it shouldn't be seen as magically protected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Signal to anyone who needs a messaging platform that goes across devices and is moderately secure. It's easy to use and easy to install.

It allows me to continue communications throughout the day, without having to switch from IM to text to FB or some other platform. I don't have to tell people to check their email or texts - everything is in one place. Since the content carries over, I don't have to repeat information on different platforms.

Signal review by Todd G.
Todd G.

"Great tool to replace existing messaging apps including text"

What do you like best?

Encrypted communication to anyone. helps me run trumpsweapon.com :)

What do you dislike?

No Known dislikes. App functions per specs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

definitely solves the encryption puzzle but encryption is less secure than marketed even by my personal friend Edward Snowden so don't expect it to work against NSA/law enforcement

Signal allows us to encrypt our communication effortlessly preventing some unwanted intrusions especially over Wi-Fi connections. Some internet provider and Government agencies may have difficulty gaining access as well but because businesses and Government have psi weaponry they can steal encryption codes directly using space satellites from DRAM and CPU making encryption futile. This can protect against foreign governments from getting access to some data as their psi weaponry may be less effective than the American psi weaponry which is deployed over all our homes.

Signal review by Augusto P.
Augusto P.

"La opción más segura de mensajería instantanea "

What do you like best?

Signal a diferencia de otras aplicaciones de mensajería instantánea ofrece altos niveles de seguridad, con un cifrado de 256 bits, eso quiere decir que todos los mensajes que se envían por esta aplicación tienen un alto nivel de encriptación brindando mayor seguridad en comparación con otras aplicaciones de mensajería instantánea como Whatsapp. Además de ello ofrece la mayoría de las características necesarias como envió de audio, video, imagenes gift, pegatinas, entre otros. Permite de igual forma personalizar contactos e invitarlos a que prueben esta sencilla pero muy segura aplicación para compartir con cualquier persona en el mundo.

What do you dislike?

A diferencia de aplicaciones muy populares como Whatsapp la interfase de Signal es bastante sencilla, no vamos a encontrarnos como millones de emojis, sino con los básicos de igual forma no vamos a compartir varios estados, ni montar videos, la aplicación en sí fue creada para comunicarse, no para ser utilizada como una red social móvil como sucede con muchas otras. Otro inconveniente puede ser las continuas actualizaciones, dado que las modificaciones se realizan en muy poco tiempo, y estás obligado a descargarlas o sino pierdes parte de la funcionalidad de la aplicación.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pueden brindarle una oportunidad a Signal y utilizarlo por un tiempo y verificar su utilidad, la interfase simple para usuarios jóvenes puede ser un poco aburrida, pero el objetivo es comunicarse de manera segura, no compartir estados como si fuera una red social, además de ello la aplicación tiene las mismas opciones que otras del mercado, de acuerdo a los archivos que se intercambian y a funciones simples como crear y administrar grupos.

Signal a simplificado la comunicación en nuestro equipo de trabajo, dado que al tener una interfase simple y sin muchos adornos, ha permitido una comunicación fluida en el trabajo, sin mayores distracciones y enfocada en resolver los problemas que se nos presentan día a día.

Signal review by User

"Signal-messenger for those who are worried about the security of correspondence and calls"

What do you like best?

Signal-This is a simple messenger. With Signal, you can exchange messages and make calls with subscribers from your phone book. All information is encrypted and even the creators of the application can not access it. To prove this, the application has a fully open code. Signal is attached to the phone number, and works in all countries. It is possible to send less important correspondence to the archive, where they will be stored until the moment you need it. Developers promise the absence of advertising and any ways of monetization in the future

What do you dislike?

In my opinion this is an excellent messenger and the most important thing is safe. I did not find any shortcomings. I like very much and advise everyone! Security and confidentiality above all

Recommendations to others considering the product

However, many people looking for similar messengers with complex protection algorithms, self-destructing messages and encrypted calls. The Signal application is for this purpose.

At work I correspond with employees and we solve small working problems, I also inform about events, meetings. I conduct video conferences, invite for interviews

Signal review by Cesar A S.
Cesar A S.

"La mejor aplicación de mensajería instantánea "

What do you like best?

La privacidad que ofrece Signal no tiene comparación, está a otro nivel, todos los mensajes que se envían en Signal son cifrados peer-to-peer, es decir otras personas no tienen forma alguna de acceder, dado que el nivel de encriptación de los mensajes de 256 bits, más que ninguna otra aplicación de mensajería instantánea, además de eso es gratuita y libre de publicidad. La interfase es sencilla, sin muchos adornos y con emoticonos sencillos y muy básicos.

What do you dislike?

Uno de los principales problemas de la aplicación es que las actualizaciones son muy seguidas y de no realizarse a tiempo dejan la aplicación únicamente para recibir mensajes, debería establecer algún tipo de prorroga para darle más tiempo al usuario de realizar dichas actualizaciones. También podría agregarse que los adictos a los emoticonos y los stickers quizás no les agrede, porque en ese aspecto es bastante simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Deben tener fé en esta aplicación, es igual o mejor que cualquier otra aplicación de mensajería, quizás no tantos emoticonos ni cosas superfluas, pero en rapidez, eficiencia o seguridad es realmente muy buena. La interfaces está bastante simplificada sin muchos adornos, es para uso directo y sin publicidad. La idea es probarla y comprobar que es realmente eficiente en su función, e invitar a los contactos a que la utilicen.

Como la mensajería tiene un nivel de encriptación tan alto, es muy útil para comunicar cosas privadas relacionadas con el trabajo o cualquier otro negocio que este desarrollándose.

Signal review by Andy A.
Andy A.

"Signal Me More"

What do you like best?

Signal allows us to communicate in confidence with others. It allows us to feel safe that our messages are only delivered to the party to whom it is intended. The ability to also talk and make video calls is a real plus as it moves them from older and far less secure technology to something far better

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much to dislike. I guess if there was one piece missing it's the lack of a desktop application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need secure communications without any overhead, this is one of the best apps around.

The biggest problem today is making sure your communications are secure and private. While this has nothing to do with concern about the government, we do live in times where tools and technology to eavesdrop are available to just about anyone. Signal helps overcome that potential problem.

Signal review by Dillon James M.
Dillon James M.

"No real experience"

What do you like best?

I liked the design of the app and the layout. It is an eye catching and exciting look. Thank you , I will Update my review upon further investigation and trial.

What do you dislike?

This product was difficult to navigate. I was not able to use it much. I will have to try it more to give a more accurate description of my dislikes. Thank you , I will Update my review upon further investigation and trial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I did not use this program much. I simply downloaded it and used it very briefly. Hopefully I can get another time to try this product out again.

I was not able to navigate the app very well upon my initial use of it. Will take time to discover it again soon. The concept would be beneficial. But a more user friendly app would be excellent for me. Thank you.

Signal review by Jacob W.
Jacob W.

"Really good for ocmmunications"

What do you like best?

Excellent and easy to use for confidential communications with sources and related

What do you dislike?

You need a real phone number if a contact has evidence of massive fraud and does not want to be identified it is hard to use this app or impossible as far as i know

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful your company policy allows it - also they say its very hard to impossible to retrieve info from Signal so be careful if you setup disappearing messages

Sharing confidential information and files quickly while being confident it is secure

Signal review by User in Machinery
User in Machinery

"One of the best messenger apps out there! "

What do you like best?

Clean layout! Very easy to start conversation or pull up an existing conversation. I also like that there is a desktop version that connects with your mobile.

What do you dislike?

There can sometimes be ALOT of updates, where Signal will want to do an update and restart. That can get pretty tiring.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Less Updates, That can get pretty tiring of having to constantly wait for the update.

Allows quick communication with customers. In todays world its easier to send an instant message over say an email! People are busier so sometimes its nice to just send a quick message and customer can respond back just as quickly

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like how simple the interface is. It is basically like messenger without the distractions of facebook.

What do you dislike?

I think it would be nice to categorize conversations. Having a tab where we could store all our attachments would be a plus as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great program to use if you are one to forget things. Using it as a conversation app will help you to save those ideas that your team come up with.

Saved conversation with coworkers. We have workers outside of our offices that are sometimes lost to what we are doing. Signal allows those workers to feel included and connected. That is probably the biggest thing that signal helps us with, the connection with workers outside of the office.

Signal review by Laura S.
Laura S.

"Great for privacy"

What do you like best?

I like that no one else can see the information outside of those who are attached to the group. We can freely discuss student information without worry of compromising privacy.

What do you dislike?

While I enjoy that I can use my computer to use the software, I cannot add or delete group members or create new chats from my laptop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for privacy.

Given that we discuss student information, we cannot do this via email or text because of privacy laws. Signal lets us do this without worry.

Signal review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Privacy is important, so is Signal"

What do you like best?

If you’re like me, you take your privacy very seriously. I don’t trust big messaging app platforms like iMessage, Allo, Skype, or WhatsApp (Facebook) or Messanger (also Facebook!). Signal is a good alternative and simply does everything I need.

What do you dislike?

The user interface could be a bit more seamless with regular messaging apps like that of iMessage. Otherwise I love it!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, just get it while it’s still free. This app should charge people to use it as it’s really all in 1 messaging, video, secure, etc.

I’m able to send confidential info pertaining to my business securely and have the peace of mind nothing bad will happen.

Signal review by John V.
John V.

"Signal is the Must-Have messaging app"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Signal is that, besides doing exactly what it says it does, it's open source, so, anyone can (and has) review the code.

What do you dislike?

Voice calling quality can sometimes be a little on the low side. Often, however, simply retrying the call is enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't wait to install and use this! Get on it now!

Secure communications and free secure phone calls.

Signal review by Administrator in Health, Wellness and Fitness
Administrator in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"A secure messaging platform"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that with Signal I am able to communicate with my partners without the fear of our personal information being compromised.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I would like to see improved upon is the general user interface - it’s simple and gets the job done, but added features would be welcome

We sometimes need to discuss private client information and when we can’t do it in person, using signal feels safe and secure

Signal review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Easy to use, secure"

What do you like best?

My messages are secure and I feel better knowing that not even professional hackers can crack Signal's encryption

What do you dislike?

It could be a more visually appealing app

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it knowing that even hackers can't get into it's encryption

I have communicated with my Supervisor and colleagues easily and securely. Just so you all know Signal does not allow screenshots from inside the app.

Signal review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Perfect for protecting myself"

What do you like best?

I ability to set texts to disappear after a few seconds

What do you dislike?

quite a few messages never get delivered to recipients then live on my phone and don't disappear

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand the settings and how to change timing on messages.

Ability to communicate without fear of things being captured or recorded. Much more open dialogue.

Signal review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"Great app!"

What do you like best?

The security of knowing that my messages are only seen by myself and the other party.

What do you dislike?

If I had to name one thing I dont like it would've the password requirements but this is necessary to maintain security.

Signal allows confconfidential communications without worry of the wrong people seeing private information.

Signal review by User in Consumer Electronics
User in Consumer Electronics

"Easy to de up Encryption messaging app"

What do you like best?

I like the auto disappear and the read receipts.

What do you dislike?

The lag in showing names from the phone numbers I save.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s an easy not overwhelming set up and allo a for straight for use of encrypted software

Makes it easy to share data with out risking loss or hijacking of information

Signal review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Another way of messaging"

What do you like best?

The application is very easy to use with the step by step walk through

What do you dislike?

You have to register your number which can't be used on a non service phone

I was attempting it to use it on a WiFi only phone but did not work

"Fine Communication"

What do you like best?

I enjoy Signal's chat interface; the address book is also a great guide.

What do you dislike?

It has a lack of features/customization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is worth the try.

It helps rapidly communicate on a one-to-one basis. This improves overall efficiency.

Signal review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Terrible"

What do you like best?

It doesn’t function half as well as iMessage, so it’s mostly just a pain to use. It is great to have such a secure app to use when texting, though.

What do you dislike?

As I stated above, this app is very difficult to use. Because of its difficulty to navigate and it’s unteliability, people tend to just resort back to iMessage which defeats the purpose entirely.

We can have quick secure conversations.

Signal review by Internal Consultant in Restaurants
Internal Consultant in Restaurants

"Signal Security Benefits"

What do you like best?

Peace of mind of trustworthy encryption end to end

What do you dislike?

Limited options and customization in notifications

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended for business and personal use.

Privacy and security of all work related communications

Signal review by User in Restaurants
User in Restaurants

"Signal review "

What do you like best?

I really enjoyed the ease and simplicity of the messaging app allowing to send private messages. And it is free .

What do you dislike?

What I disliked about the app is that you must have a phone number for verification . You can't just use it on your computer without it. Otherwise it's fine

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this for simple messages

This enables me to send encrypted messages to my coworkers.

Signal review by Consultant in Mental Health Care
Consultant in Mental Health Care

"Efficient & Safe Messaging "

What do you like best?

Myself and several of my friends/colleagues use Signal to connect. It definitely feels more safe overall as messages are encrypted. We enjoy the group chat feature the most.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint would be the number of reminders and notifications it sends.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! It’s much more secure!

Communication is key with everything! Signal makes it possible and safer!

Signal review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Ease to Use, Secure Messaging"

What do you like best?

I feel confident that my messages are securely encrypted and the app is easy to use!

What do you dislike?

I wish it was easier to import your contacts into the app. I feel like the process is a little labor intensive

I wanted to be able to send secure messages that are only accessible by me

Signal review by User in Internet

"Nice IM tool with excellent security"

What do you like best?

It works well and has best-in-class security. Signal is entirely open source software and their security model has held up under scrutiny and has now even been built into other tools.

What do you dislike?

System restricts users to only 3 devices for an account.

Communicating with people in a secure way.

Signal review by User

"Signal for Occasional Off-site Use"

What do you like best?

Signal has helped our small team exchange secure client info when working out of office.

What do you dislike?

The feature has not been used as much as expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider if regularly sending secure info amongst teammates

secure relaying of client info without risk of breach.

Signal review by User in Civic & Social Organization
User in Civic & Social Organization

"Signal Review"

What do you like best?

filter signals accurately and take other signals from information easily

What do you dislike?

It needs to be more user friendly software

filter signals more accurately and extract other signal from the information such as frequency components

Signal review by User in Public Policy
User in Public Policy

"Amazing "

What do you like best?

The product allows the company to connect easily. Easy to access

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. It can be slow at times but that’s maybe the internet.

Able to connect quickly without walking down the hallway.

Signal review by User in Civic & Social Organization
User in Civic & Social Organization

"Only 1 bug"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use for secure text messages.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't always give notifications, sadly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you look into how to have the most secure messages.

Ways to keep information secure

Signal review by User in Higher Education

"Only useful got other signal customers"

What do you like best?

The layout of the app was well designed.

What do you dislike?

My messages stopped going through to my contacts.

Would be the video chat, but that option was not available

Signal review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"The Signal is Green"

What do you like best?

Encrypted messaging end-to-end and it's free!

What do you dislike?

I actually cannot find anything to complain about...this app just works.

Handles protected text mesaging across our team.

Learning about Signal?

* We monitor all Signal reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.