OpenOffice Draw

4.0

Makes drawing business processes and diagrams a snap!

Work for OpenOffice Draw?

Learning about Apache Draw?

OpenOffice Draw Reviews

Showing 42 Apache Draw reviews
Apache Draw review by cesar m.
cesar m.

"OpenOffice Draw is a really practical app "

What do you like best?

I love how quick and easy I can create three-dimensional figures with this program. in my opinion it is easier to create figures in this program than in Photo shop to be honest.

its simplicity make this program shine, once you check a couple of tutorial you are good to go and let you creativity goes wild.

What do you dislike?

I think the layout of this program is the only problem I have so far. It really looks like a Windows 98 program, although I can not be too critical since this program is free. but I feel that I had to point out this problem because at some point clients prefer that the designer works with the most complex program to create their projects, although most of the time it will be the same outcome if I work with Photoshop or OpenOffice draw. That's why I think that the design of this program takes a lot of credibility since it looks like Paint from 1998

The other thing that I do not like about this program is due to its simplicity. I feel that I can not find another practical use beside to create figures, draw something or create a logo.

It helps me save time at the moment I need to create a figure like fruit , cell phone, furniture or even a background. Since I have been using this program for more than 2 months, quality and efficiency have increased.

Another thing is to create logos now it's easier with OpenOffice draw , it takes me 10 to 15 minutes, of course if I have a clear idea of what I have to do, but in Photoshop it takes me around 20 minutes or more since most of the time I forget where some of feature are locate.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about OpenOffice Draw
Apache Draw review by David S.
David S.

"Una buena alternativa a Corel Draw y gratuita "

What do you like best?

Una de los aspectos más atractivos es que está bajo una licencia LGPL, es decir, bajo una licencia de Software libre. Aún no siendo una aplicación tan conocida como Corel Draw la verdad que tiene una comunidad muy activa para ayudar a la hora de dar soporte técnico

What do you dislike?

Que si no eres una persona que domine el inglés, si requieres soporte de desarrollador, generalmente es en ese idioma con lo que podría ser un problema para una persona que no tenga conocimientos de inglés técnico

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mi recomendación es sobre todo para personas que comienzan en el mundo del diseño que que no se pueden permitir pagar las licencias de otras aplicaciones más profesionales y extendidas como el Corel Draw. Para comenzar en el mundo del diseño es una herramientas más que recomendable

Utilizo mucho el OpenOffice Draw para la creación de pósteres, trípticos y demás cartelería publicitaria. Es una opción bastante potente y que ofrece herramientas muy útiles para trabajar con gráficos y diagramas

What Diagramming solution do you use?

Apache Draw review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"OpenOffice Draw software review"

What do you like best?

OpenOffice Draw software implements opensource philosophy, all documents import / export are stable and clear, meet open document standards, cross-platform, compatibility.

Everything an ordinary and advanced user a needs for making visualizations inside or outside documents staying in OpenOffice suite environment. I have not used this feature a lot but OpenOffice Draw has objects manipulation functionality to rotate in two or three dimensions; the 3D controller allows you to create spheres, rings, cubes, etc. in a quick pinch. Built-in and pluggable (extensions) image galleries. Works with common image formats (import/export), able to create and edit flash files. GUI can be customized by OpenOffice and icon themes. It is free, open-source software package, cross-platform and very compatible.

Different wizards with templates for document formats. Built-in Pdf export, the same as other OpenOffice packages. A long list of functions: document templates, frames, mail merge, a style manager, section-based headers and footers, and much more.

What do you dislike?

I do not find feature to dislike in OpenOffice, except high memory consumption with certain configuration. I needed to search the internet for making it faster with some performance and optimization fine-tuning. Many sites and tutorials advice to migrate to LibreOffice and/or choose other alternatives for office software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A best free alternative for Microsoft Office similar products, following Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) standards. Free,useful and intuitive.

Using primitives i can draw / create beautiful imagery for different purposes ( diagrams, chart, embed photos, etc.).

Apache Draw review by Molly P.
Molly P.

"Open Office Draw"

What do you like best?

I really like that there is a free graphics software that is open source. The very fact that it is free lends itself to companies that are having a hard time getting off the ground. The good thing about when it crashes is that it always allows you to recover whatever documents you were working on.

What do you dislike?

It is a bit difficult to edit PDF documents unless I use a third-party plug-in. Also, the ticks on the ruler don't always stay where I want them to. Also, sometimes it crashes without warning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you have the space for the whole suite because Apache bundles everything together unless you specifically opt out of all components of OpenOffice.

I am always looking for ways to save money without sacrificing my quality control. Mostly this is used for highlighting parts of a page, but occasionally math.

Apache Draw review by Laura G.
Laura G.

"The best for exhibitions"

What do you like best?

This program is very easy to install and use. It can be used in any operating system (Windows, Linux or Mac). We can use it the whole family, since it is very useful to make diagrams, brochures, vector drawings. This application allows the integration of text, photos, etc. To generate courses is extremely comfortable, since we can have the study material and do the class. Excellent program to make publicity announcements and flow diagrams, mental maps, conceptual maps, among others, since we can synchronize images with text specified by the user. Handles all types of images and their files can be used on any computer. It is an application of easy use and you learn very fast, since you do not need sophisticated knowledge to use it. It can be associated with other tools to obtain a better benefit.

What do you dislike?

The structure of the slides is lost when used in proprietary software. The format of other similar software is not maintained, a lot of information is lost and, paractically, the work must be done again.

It is very didactic and easy to use, the versatility of the menu allows you to easily navigate and find the options you require comfortably. You can add the experiences of activities and avoid workshops. It allows me to do the courses in a summarized way and so I can explain it with images to the students in less time than stipulated.

Apache Draw review by Gerardo S.
Gerardo S.

"Create your designs perfectly"

What do you like best?

You always can create whatever you want without using programs like paint in your computer, it is funny and the images you draw look naturals. The desings are created by selecting the set of tool this program has in a board, gradually we can select those what we want to create.

What do you dislike?

I like it, is very easy to me, it has multiples characteristics that help me to draw those logos I need in my store, but rarely in cannot be drawn well due to the simple set of tools implemened.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will recommend it to everyone, it has easy tools and the best important, you can import information.

I have created a new logo with its respective slogan, my store really needed it so it came in good time to help in my desire about creating my brand. Its benefits has mainly been to bring me draw my own design.

Apache Draw review by Shafin T.
Shafin T.

"Excellent open source package for diagramming & flowcharts"

What do you like best?

Free. Very easy to learn. Can be used to illustrate absolutely anything like Flowcharts, layouts, designs, etc. Can export to all graphical file formats. Love the smart connectors for flowcharts.

What do you dislike?

May discontinue support in the future. Does not have support to import CAD or Revit files. Would love to see other 3D formats integration as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Has almost all features as Visio and does not cost anything. Give it a try. Its easy to learn and images can be exported to all graphical file formats.

Quick illustrations for our baggage system designs, flow diagrams, layout of airport check-in lobbies, etc.

Apache Draw review by Marcos Gabriel C.
Marcos Gabriel C.

"OpenOffice Draw"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing is that it is free.

You can export in many different formats like GIF, JPEG, PNG , TIFF etc

You can add textures, lights , images.

You can use what you create with almost every others software, so have a good compatibility.

What do you dislike?

Small learning curve. To be expected. Very easy if you've had any experience with graphics programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are an advanced user , just let openoffice draw for who don't require to do complex projects.

I use this program for my business of graphic work and minimal logo designing.

I've been able to create simple graphics for reports and presentations.

Apache Draw review by Lucas O.
Lucas O.

"Simple but useful."

What do you like best?

I like that is simple, really easy to use and remembers me Office 2000.

I can do simple sketches if i want to design a logo or something else.

You can export in many different formats like GIF, JPEG, PNG , TIFF etc

You can add textures, lights , images.

What do you dislike?

Is very very simple and cannot be compared with real software for draw or design like photoshop, illustrator etc..

Very limitate , you can use it just for simple projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I used sometimes for drawing sketches if i didn't want to open photoshop.

Apache Draw review by Oscar R.
Oscar R.

"The best bussiness creation"

What do you like best?

I like the easy way t draw diagrams for any purposes, it comes from a simple picture to a complicated diagram. The draws are powerful and the tools too.

What do you dislike?

I don´t like that some tools are very complex to use, sometime I do not understand its functions, I think it could be a little more easy to the users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Apache because it has multiples tools and characteristics that others graphics designers have not.

I have created new designs for my groceries, always implementing the tools that this software gives me. I have received the concrete draw of the graphics, these are well designed and clear to show to the people.

Apache Draw review by James M.
James M.

"MS Office alternative - for free!"

What do you like best?

The first thing that I like about OpenOffice is the price, you cannot beat free!

Specifically, the Draw portion of Office is a good alternative to Paintshop and other programs like that

What do you dislike?

I really don't find anything to dislike about OpenOffice....perhaps that there isn't a ribbon interface like MS Office.

I use OpenOffice for my own personal use. I like the fact that it can open files made in MS Office.

Apache Draw review by Yana B.
Yana B.

"OpenOffice Draw is very productive app"

What do you like best?

Very easy to create 3d objects and it is pretty straight forward even for beginners., if you still deciding weather to go high level with photoshop or this software., think no more if you value your time - its easier snd way friendlier.

What do you dislike?

The interface of the app could be a little bit more up todate or graphically attractive.while using it you still have a feeling like you are back to 90s)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are working with 3d elements you will be satisfied enough functionally

Logo and labels creation.,shapes, objects

Apache Draw review by User

"La mejor opción en cuanto al software de su gama"

What do you like best?

Como software de diseño vectorial, permite trabajar con la mayor parte de las funcionalidades de sus hermanos de pago -Corel Draw es quizás su referente más inmediato- pero ofrece la ventaja de que se trata de un software gratuito y de código abierto. Al igual que otros programas similares, ofrece una interfaz enormemente intuitiva, con lo que trabajar con él es -literalmente- un juego de niños, pudiendo alcanzar resultados semiprofesionales.

What do you dislike?

A pesar de ofrecer una herramienta lo sufiencientemente digna como parábola obtener resultados bastante aceptables, aún sigue estando lejos de otros programas como Corel Draw o Adobe Illustrator dentro del ámbito profesional. Ofrece determinados problemas a la hora de exportar e importar archivos, lo que le resta algo de flexibilidad.

Maquetacion de documentos, presentaciones

Apache Draw review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"quick and simple"

What do you like best?

it is easy to use and you can import several file types. the snap alignment is really great. i hate when things are out of line and this feature is really helpful to keep things straight and even. being able to save to google drive is an absolute plus, as more and more companies are utilizing the google drive services.

What do you dislike?

i didn't find anything to dislike, it was pretty easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

draw is a great program and i would recommend anyone trying to save their business some money to look into all of the openoffice programs. they are great tools that you can use for free and not have to pay to use microsoft office.

using flow charts for business planning and implementation. openoffice draw really let's us plan proficiently. we are also able to go back and track our progress on our flow charts to make sure we are on task and seeing if we need to add more tasks to complete.

Apache Draw review by David L.
David L.

"OpenOffice Draw is quick and basic"

What do you like best?

OpenOffice draw is a quick and basic way to put together drawing elements. You can draft up something simple very quickly. It's also free.

What do you dislike?

It's very limited. Doesn't really have a lot of features and options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go ahead and get it because it's free. But if you need any particular features, you'll probably need something else.

OpenOffice draw solves the need to put together quick diagrams or simple illustrations very quickly. So it's been a benefit, and we use it very often. Mostly to replace hand-drawings. When you need an illustration that's mostly boxes and elements, it's quick and easy.

Apache Draw review by Mandalynn C.
Mandalynn C.

"OpenOffice Draw wins them all"

What do you like best?

I love the shading options the most, that's something that is often lost in other programs.

What do you dislike?

When I first started, there was a bit of a learning curve so I wish the tutorial was a bit better so I knew all the buttons immediately instead of trial and error.

It's way easier to use OO Draw than trying to mess around with sketching on paper and then faxing it in when it's a simple design.

Apache Draw review by User in Architecture & Planning
User in Architecture & Planning

"Cost"

What do you like best?

OpenOffice is free to download and free to use. It's also really easy for beginners to learn, but it can be used advanced too.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the format of the files; ODF! Most softwares use the DOC format. It also can have a lot of bugs and security risks.

As a beginner it is a really useful app which helps you accomplish a task in the meantime.

Apache Draw review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Open Office Draw experience"

What do you like best?

The features are basic but helpful, I find that I would like to be able to do a bit more with it but the ease of use for what is there, is good.

What do you dislike?

A more comprehensive system of tools would be nice (and/or being able to do more with the tools that are there).

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an adequate basic program, especially for learning on. I find that my time goes further when using this program, I can figure things out pretty quickly.

I use this program for my business of graphic work and minimal logo designing. My children use this program also and have been learning their way around with some ease.

Apache Draw review by Linsey O.
Linsey O.

"OpenOffice Draw"

What do you like best?

This program has a great layout and I like that it allows for the simplest of designing to the most advanced without having to switch to another program midway through. I also really enjoyed the option to create a flash version of your work.

What do you dislike?

I felt like there could have been some easier shortcut commands.

I was creating simple and complex designs in a single program which saved me time in the long run.

Apache Draw review by User

"Open Source Software great for the small business owner"

What do you like best?

That is open source and free to use and provides multiple functions that any small business could benefit from.

What do you dislike?

With any open source software, the only support is community support and/or search the internet and read a lot of forums where other and more experienced users have described what you want to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is great software for the small business since it is open source and free to use.

Drawing maps of the farm which has complex layouts and unique farm area naming conventions so new employees would know where everything is.

Apache Draw review by Allison T.
Allison T.

"Review of open office draw"

What do you like best?

It’s easy to use and even allows you to create flash versions of your work.

What do you dislike?

PDFs will default to only opening in Draw even when you don’t want them to.

It’s great for creating wire frames. The benefits are that I can quickly create a wireframe without having to turn to other more complex software.

Apache Draw review by User

"Easy to use, has its limits"

What do you like best?

I would highlight that this software requires just some basic skills, it is quite intuitive and less hard to use than other programs.

What do you dislike?

Being such an easy to use software it has some limitations and sometimes the results are not as smooth as with other programs, some of the more advanced techniques are not very accessible in the program.

As it is free software it is a great tool to teach the basic skills to students or people interested in creating custom images.

Apache Draw review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"OpenOffice Draw - Great Program"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing is that it is free. I use the preset shapes the most. It is easy for anyone to use, even my children. You can make a flyer very quickly.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about the program. If I had to pick one thing, it would be that takes a little longer than my other programs to open, and the interface to find the program is not intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great alternative to purchasing other software. Can easily replace Microsoft Publisher, familiar feel to older versions of CorelDraw.

Anyone in the office can use this program to create quick, inhouse flyers without disrupting our graphics department.

Apache Draw review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Awesome for basic graphic needs."

What do you like best?

The interface is intuitive and overall, it just works.

What do you dislike?

As a longtime Adobe user, I tend to hold that as a standard, so my wish would be some more advanced tools for placing and layering graphics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have advanced graphic needs, use Adobe, otherwise, this package is more than enough!

I've been able to create simple graphics for reports and presentations.

Apache Draw review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

This program is easy to use and you can usually find help with a short google session.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have anything I hate about this program, I wish it was pre-installed on my computer!

This software makes creating new designs super easy and quick. I can create a graphic from start to finish in 15-20 minutes.

Apache Draw review by Meirin A.
Meirin A.

"Software vectorial muy completo"

What do you like best?

I really like that I can produce simple 3D graphics, import files with extensions such as JPEG, PNG, TIFF

What do you dislike?

Es muy poco que decir de lo que no me gusta, tal vez sería que la interfaz es muy parecida al Open Office

I can obey what graphics in OpenDocument format so that other users can access and use my graphics

Apache Draw review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"A solid illustration product, not as robust as professional tools"

What do you like best?

OO Draw, a component of the Open Office Suite, is an ever-ready program for basic design work. As an open-source software product, it is always free to the end-user.

What do you dislike?

The interface and capabilities are straight from 2007-8. In other words, state-of-the-art illustration software this ain't. However, it must be emphasized that the program delivers 95-98% of what the casual user would require.

OO Draw is a quick and painless means of solving simple design issues. Because it's a free program it has saved our company the cost of additional installations of boxed software products.

Apache Draw review by User

"Fits all of my design needs"

What do you like best?

It's a free source software that provides basic and medium design options.

What do you dislike?

It's much less powerful than non-free softwares like Illustrator

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use but non-professional

Creating media content and corporative image.

Apache Draw review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"Good for beginner design/illustrators "

What do you like best?

It’s pretty basic and simple. It’s unique because it is connected to your open office account, which makes is easy and simple to transfer over work to multiple accounts

What do you dislike?

It is basic and not for professionals seeking a very personalized design program. Especially if you’re looking for a wide range of options to pin point your artistic style.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is beginner only, ease of access

Easy to transfer, quick designing

Apache Draw review by User in Design
User in Design

"Basic - Better Programs Out There"

What do you like best?

I like that this program is good for basics and it came free with my computer, so in a pinch, it is good to use.

What do you dislike?

Very limited capabilities. User interface could be more streamlined.

In the beginning, just to have something to be able to work in before making a commitment to purchasing. It really does not have many benefits to our company in terms of problem solving.

Apache Draw review by User in Computer Hardware
User in Computer Hardware

"OpenOffice Draw"

What do you like best?

Very simple to use and it is free of charge, does all the editing that you would need for short projects.

What do you dislike?

Interface seems outdated, has very little tools to work with the images.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have no other editing software this would work for simple image editing.

Not currently solving any problems with OpenOffice Draw. The only benefit is that it is free and to do very simple editing it works well.

Apache Draw review by Agency in Retail
Agency in Retail

"Quick and Easy for simple tasks - thats it though"

What do you like best?

To do simple tasks and bring your thoughts to a more concrete and visual idea it was easy. Other than that though that was it. Once you want to start doing more complex things thats where it gets more complicated than it should.

What do you dislike?

To do anything besides 'basic' it just doesn't work. For someone who is more artistic I found it limited.

Its easy to use for people who are not visual as it helps you and guides you to make more visual decisions.

Apache Draw review by Emily F.
Emily F.

"cheap, effective, creative"

What do you like best?

the layout is straightforward and user friendly. i pretty much figured out how to use the basics on my first try

What do you dislike?

so far i have no complaints. i'm very satisfied

data aggregation and information presentation

Apache Draw review by Rimi A.
Rimi A.

"Interesting change of pace "

What do you like best?

The functionality and specs and ease of implementing ideas.

What do you dislike?

Odd file usage and settings that need to be adapted to

Widening the flexibility of other design work I carry out.

Apache Draw review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Hardware
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Hardware

"Excellent tool for diagramming "

What do you like best?

No cost easy to share with colleagues for collaboration

What do you dislike?

Does not export well to other programs , partner agencies may use additional paid tools. Our sketch diagrams do not always import into their programs easily

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for a month keep your expectations realistic. Open source products easily meet 80% of your goals

Useful for flowcharys basic design layouts

Apache Draw review by Elizabeth V.
Elizabeth V.

"Love it"

What do you like best?

Everything has been very helpful most certainly recommend.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at all I believe ita good as it is so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

So far so good.

No problems ita been helpful for Graphic for sure.

Apache Draw review by User in Legal Services
User in Legal Services

"Great program!!"

What do you like best?

It has more features than Paint. Can easily be used for powerpoint to create slides. Inserts picture and graphics easily. I love this program.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! You wont be disappointed.

Great for advertising my own jewelry line and easy graphics for ad clients.

Apache Draw review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Drawing Is key"

What do you like best?

This is my go to application whenever I need to brainstorm and get everything in my brain out in the open

What do you dislike?

The convenience is not being able to draw and use this all the time

Recommendations to others considering the product

Love

I am able to draw out maps and plans and seeing my vision come to life

Apache Draw review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Good alternative to adobe product"

What do you like best?

Open office is a free to use range of software that will suit most needs from adobe users

What do you dislike?

Interface could be a bit better but other than that it is very well made

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep it up!

Not being able to afford adobe

Apache Draw review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"Muy buena experiencia. "

What do you like best?

Es muy fácil de usar, tiene grandes usos.

What do you dislike?

Es bastante lento y suele consumir muchos recursos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hay ciertos trabajos que se realizan de manera más fácil que con otros programas.

En este programa es más fácil vectorizar.

Apache Draw review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"As useful as it gets"

What do you like best?

OpenOffice Draw allows you to make all kind of diagrams and helps you structuring your design.

What do you dislike?

It might seem a bit incomplete to some users coming from other programs, but only initially.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find some online tutorial to take your first steps!

All kinds of desgin issues and necessities.

Apache Draw review by User in Architecture & Planning
User in Architecture & Planning

"Designer"

What do you like best?

Its a free hand tool. Not restrictive at all. Its like using a paper and pencil which is by far my favorite tool!

What do you dislike?

I wished it had a standard format like most of the other drafting tools.

free hand design

Learning about OpenOffice Draw?

* We monitor all OpenOffice Draw reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.