OpenShift

Develop, host, and scale your apps in the cloud. OpenShift is the open hybrid cloud application platform by RedHat

Work for OpenShift?

Andrew S.

Openshift Cutting Edge

Updated On
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Openshift, Red Hat and Fedora users community, opensource community.

Culture and ecosystem with hackatons and community events (conferences, seminars,webinars).

Most recent cutting edge opensource software and technologies.

Support and extensive documentation, educational resources.

Easy to implement and make experiments.

Highly extensible and scalable, Openshift apps can scale from single-page app to a large infrastructure or network, fully controlled monitored and orchestrated.

Cloud-native.

Minimal network latency for servers.

Openshift containers and cartridges and plenty of github repositories available with custom configurations for those containers / cartridges and apps.

Constantly providing new features and publishing newest tutorials.

Pricing for individual learning and experimenting and for professional projects and hosting.

Build for developers, developers and DevOps best friend.

Easily integrated in other cloud services and cloud providers.

Pre-built applications, ready to be deployed in minutes.

Global availability.

What do you dislike?

I think there are not many issues I can count which i dislike.

It can be complexity to build and scale custom apps, though OpenShift is not for plain users but for developers and professionals.

Sometimes hard to build a new application with experimental features, I need to build a new cartridge for that application first and I need to keep all manifest and config requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly innovative and stable platform, designed for future. Openshift is a starting point and base platform for various large projects.

I move almost all my development environments, mostly staging, outside of production to Openshift.

I make domains with demo.* and dev.* prefix at Openshift and provide "live" development environment for my customers and clients to observe work-in-progress.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about OpenShift
OpenShift review by <span>Dev B.</span>
Dev B.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

All the different Applications that they support and options that you can config for each one.

It is a quick and easy way to turn on an application for either a quick demo, testing or just a proof of concept with having to go thru all the red tape of getting permission from someone in it.

The interface looks really nice and is simple to navigate thru

What do you dislike?

They do not have a asp.net solution or Microsoft SQL Express.

Built-in Training for people who are not experience creating Cloud solutions.

The Ability to have more than 1 user and assign permissions to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the free version if you have any doubt, but be ware you just may like it more then you will have expected.

A quick way to turn up small micro sites

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Cloud Platform as a Service (PaaS) solution do you use?

OpenShift review by <span>Prayash M.</span>
Prayash M.

Simple and Powerfull

Validated Review
What do you like best?

The ability to spin up a new instance preloaded with the applications I want. The interface is simple enough for a beginner to get started, without having to read documentation on how to use it.

What do you dislike?

Not exactly dislike. But the thing I least like are the restrictions on MySQL database cartridge which shuts down after 8 hours of inactivity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try this even if you are currently using anything else.

Easy to setup your project. Really helpful for students, It also allows for using custom domains.

I can quickly turn on a instance and install my app to test and to show to other users. I also use to showcase demos of my personal projects. Also I have used this service to host college's event websites.

OpenShift review by <span>Marco I.</span>
Marco I.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

We are experimenting Openshift Origin, the upstream community project that powers OpenShift. We are also studing and monitoring the Red Hat versions.

OpenShift enable to rapidly build and deploy Docker containers and manage them on a robust, scalable platform.

The openshift origin version is good for demo and test, as well as we can count in a enterprise version provided by Red Hat.

What is more OpenShift is based on Kubernetes and Docker, that I think like "standard de facto" in managing and orchestrating container.

What do you dislike?

Openshift require a lot of resource and some constrains in hardware and software requirementes.

It help in propose to our customer a gradual moving from traditional architectures to innovative approach.

OpenShift review by <span>Prabin T.</span>
Prabin T.

Openshift review

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I like that it is free, fast and never goes offline unlike other "free" webhosting sites. The speed is fast. Learning curve was easier than expected. Setting up php environment and mysql database was a piece of cake.

What do you dislike?

There was a little confusion at first on how to upload my files to the server. I learned that I had to use Putty for windows and use version controlling system. This was new to me but everything else is fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for free if you are unsure. For single developer with small app, I think the free version is still better. There is paid version too and I am sure bigger teams will benefit from it.

I am using it to host mysql database for my android app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=timsina.sciq.prabin. The speed so far is great. But let's see what happens as more and more users start using the app.

OpenShift review by <span>habib k.</span>
habib k.
Validated Review

I'm using the free service of

Validated Review
What do you like best?

It's free,You don't need to wait for it you just create an account and you

have a free service while in some other same services you should wait for their free service.

APPLICATION IDLING is 24 hours.

you can have 3 apps with just one account.

It's easy to use you if you know git just commit and push it can't be easier.

What do you dislike?

you can not install any thing with package manage So you should compile it yourself and it takes lot's of time.

you don't have root access.

I'm a developer and I couldn't pay money for paid services because they are really expensive.

lot's of my projects are free and I don't earn money from them so in this situation open shift was a good choice.

Learning about OpenShift?

* We monitor all OpenShift reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.