OpenSSH

OpenSSH provides tools that allows you to encrypt all traffic to help manage eavesdropping, connection hijacking, and other attacks to your Internet while providing secure tunneling capabilities and more.

Work for OpenSSH?

Learning about OpenSSH?

Compare OpenSSH to Similar Solutions

OpenSSH Reviews

Showing 19 OpenSSH reviews
OpenSSH review by <span>Christopher M.</span>
Christopher M.

"Our default SSH server on RedHat"

What do you like best?

We have been using OpenSSH on our RedHat 6 and RedHat 7 servers for several years. I'm not sure if this is somethibng that comes default on Rackspace's Redhat servers or if they make it for us. Either way it generally just works. The thing I like most about it is that I have no problem running our JSCH programs that connect to the various servers running SSH from within a Java Thread

What do you dislike?

One thing I disliked, and this might be nitpicking or might be my ignorance, but I couldn't get it working on Windows with Cygwin. For whatever reason I just couldn't get it working

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it? Not sure really, it just works.

Jenkins automation. We've always used SSH for remotely accessing a box, but it;'s become especially useful to run some of our post deployment shell scripts that execute bash on a remote server via ssh after a jenkins build.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about OpenSSH
OpenSSH review by <span>Connor H.</span>
Connor H.

"Administration Made Easy"

What do you like best?

OpenSSH is the default SSH package installed on most *nix distributions, I've never had to install anything else to make SSH work, it just does out of the box. OpenSSH is easy to configure and is packed full of useful features that make server administration a breeze. You can define various settings on a per-host basis using a dead simple configuration format so you never have to remember what arguments to use.

What do you dislike?

Like many *nix tools, OpenSSH serves its documentation in a format similar to man-pages. To a user unfamiliar with man pages finding the right thing can become a witch hunt when all you need is a single argument. More newcomer friendly documentation would definitely make OpenSSH the perfect tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to learn the man pages format first or you may find yourself struggling to look up the correct information.

We needed a way to give developers access to things like databases and various network applications that were hosted off servers on a private network, through SSH tunnels we were able to give them the access they need without exposing the servers to the outside world.

What Data Security solution do you use?

OpenSSH review by <span>James D.</span>
James D.

"How else do you plan to access a *nix server remotely? "

What do you like best?

Open SSH is a very powerful remote access tool. It runs on just about anything *nix based, from Linux to BSD to OS X.

I use it daily for server configuration and monitoring.

Its fast and secure.

Provides full console access as if you were siting in front of a terminal.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything to like about OpenSSH, it is the industry standard of remote connection to a *NIX server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There really isn't anything better than OpenSSH for remote administration of a *NIX server. It is by far my most used tool in administration!

Open SSH allows us to manage headless servers without the need of a resource window server. Its faster and more secure than telnet and saves the time and effort of switching monitors around on servers or connecting a console cable.

OpenSSH review by <span>M. Serhat D.</span>
M. Serhat D.

"Administer Remote Servers Securely"

What do you like best?

OpenSSH is a key tool for system administration. It is totally free and provides you secure connections with any remote machine. OpenSSH is the default SSH agent of many popular linux distributions. I have been using Ubuntu for a long time and I never needed to install another package to handle my remote connections. OpenSSH is highly customizable, you can set your own connection settings both from command line and configuration files.

What do you dislike?

Learning all the SSH commands and tricks takes time. Generating SSH keys, configuring the environment and setting up preferences requires experience. OpenSSH is an old software but it is not well documented yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

OpenSSH is the most popular SSH client for Linux distributions. It is simple, efficient and secure. OpenSSH will cover mostly all your needs to administer a remote machine and run commands on them. If you are looking for an SSH client solution, I suggest you to try OpenSSH first.

I'm managing my personal website with SSH connection and OpenSSH. I made all my remote servers managable with SSH connection. VPN and SSH are pretty efficient together. As an experienced linux system administrator I have been administering all the remote servers with SSH connection, which is kind of industry standard.

OpenSSH review by <span>Scott K.</span>
Scott K.

"An easy, secure way for remote shell connections and thensome"

What do you like best?

I like the fact it's the industry standard for establishing remote secure connections, whether it be shell (cli) or using it for other features, such as copying files, or even VPN tunnels. Having the ability to custom configure hosts in your ssh config is really nice (along with being able to import features on every host) -- I absolutely love using ControlMaster's and Port Forwarding.

What do you dislike?

Security vulnerabilities in the past with openssl (which is typically what is linked to ssh via the library for encryption).

Recommendations to others considering the product

SSH is very powerful, it's not just for connecting to remote hosts/shells or other network devices -- you can do port forward (local or remote), VPN tunnels, ControlMaster's (which allow you to re-use any existing, open connection held by the ControlMaster), X11 Forwarding, etc. Plus I don't know any admin in their right mind who wouldn't utilize and require ssh for remote connections.

It enables us to securely connect to other servers and network devices, along with having PAM integration, we're able to use a custom OTP module for 2FA that makes it easy to deploy to other systems without having to modify the source code.

OpenSSH review by <span>Cesar I.</span>
Cesar I.

"Easiest way to admin a remote server"

What do you like best?

SSH and OpenSSH's implementation are the easiest way to get into a remote server and manage it. Getting a remote shell is just the beginning, port forwarding, and even X forwarding are key features that make ssh a great protocol. Password-less logins with public keys it's very useful as well as being able to automate tasks across servers saves tons of hours and repetitive work.

What do you dislike?

Configuration and hardening can be hard. Also windows as a server it's mostly out of the question. The handling of RSA and DSA keys can be a bit difficult sometimes. It's easy to loose a key and then you could be left out of a server. To remedy that there are some other tools that can help with the backup and handling of keys but it's not part of OpenSSH.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stick to the distributions defaults but check them yourself. Depending on what you need, you might have to tweak those. A bare-bones installation is only recommended if you really know openssh from top to bottom and you are sure that you need to do something like that.

Administering remote servers is something that most software companies have to do most of the time. Having an standardized and ubiquitous way of accessing them is just a relief.

Learning about OpenSSH?

* We monitor all OpenSSH reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare OpenSSH to Similar Solutions