OpenVPN

OpenVPN is a full-featured SSL VPN solution.

Work for OpenVPN?

Learning about OpenVPN?

Compare OpenVPN to Similar Solutions

OpenVPN Reviews

Ask OpenVPN a Question
Showing 79 OpenVPN reviews
OpenVPN review by Kurt W.
Kurt W.

"Uno de los Mejores Clientes VPN"

What do you like best?

Open VPN sin duda alguna es un cliente VPN que cumple con todas mis expectativas, ya que me permite realizar conexiones VPN de manera rápida y sencilla, sin necesidad de realizar procesos engorrosos que puedan limitar el desarrollo de mis actividades.

La instalación y configuración es sumamente sencilla, solamente doble click en el instalador y seguir los pasos del asistente, y una vez instalado, el cliente ocupa muy poco espacio en disco y al ejecutarlo no consume gran cantidad de recursos, lo cual genera un impacto muy bajo en el rendimiento del computador desde donde se utilice.

Cuenta con aplicaciones para dispositivos móviles en los diferentes sistemas operativos existentes, lo cual me permite tener acceso a la red corporativa desde cualquier de mis dispositivos.

What do you dislike?

Hasta los momentos no hay nada que me desagrade de Open VPN, en realidad cumple a cabalidad todas mis expectativas.

Aunque si me gustaría que contara con la opción de poder seleccionar múltiples perfiles desde la interfaz de conexión.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mi recomendación es utilizar la aplicación ya que es una excelente opción para conexiones VPN a un muy bajo costo.

Me permite tener acceso a la red corporativa desde cualquier de mis dispositivos, bien sea un computador o un dispositivo móvil.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about OpenVPN
OpenVPN review by John Kristian A.
John Kristian A.

"All in all a really good VPN service. "

What do you like best?

Simple management. VYOS implementation is GREAT. Running it as VM works perfectly.

Been using it for both private pvn, enterprise vpn and connecting to vpn trough other countries for several years and I love how easy it is. Mobile support is also really great.

There are also a huge benefit that it's open source and community good support is also nice to have.

What do you dislike?

Windows client is sketchy. Doesn't reconnect as it should. Drops out from time to time. It those things can be fixed, the product would be absolutely perfect. But it's not a big issue.

Reconnecting after sleep mode would be nice. Reconnecting after drop out would be REALLY nice.

There are still some effort that can be made on the different clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are not much else I would reccomend. I've tried several others, like checkpoint mobile and Cisco and it's not better than openvpn. OpenVPN is faster, easier and has more features.

Per now using it instead of MS Direct access. Easy for outside clients to connect if you want that, since you have a downloadable client.

It allows me to fix problems for my users and controll my infrastructure when I'm out traveling, and that is the thing I appreciate most.

What Virtual Private Network (VPN) solution do you use?

OpenVPN review by Alex H.
Alex H.

"A solid, secure VPN solution"

What do you like best?

- The OpenVPN Access Server AMI is a great out of the box VPN solution for your AWS VPC.

- We were able to easily connect to our Active Directory in AWS to the OpenVPN Access Server and enable 2-factor requirements via Google Authenticator.

- Supports PAM, RADIUS, and LDAP.

- This solution replaced our clients deprecated PPTP solution. OpenVPN is consistently rated among the most secure VPN solutions which is why we went with it.

What do you dislike?

License management on the openvpn.net could be improved in one regard: allowing users to deactivate and move a license between servers. As you spin up an instance you may need to reconfigure our move your license to a newer server and that requires involving OpenVPN Support to reissue your license. This can take a few hours before they respond but typically they are pretty fast so not a huge negative for us.

Simple way to connect to our AWS VPC with 2-factor authentication tied to our Active Directory.

OpenVPN review by Eduardo F.
Eduardo F.

"surfing secure with OpenVPN in the network."

What do you like best?

OpenVPN is an open source VPN protocol that allows secure online access from one point to another completely free of charge, it is a free open source vpn, I like it a lot because it has greater security compared to other vpn for its vast library of openssl that has no owners, has an excellent community of developers who are in constant support, which are there for any inconvenience, this is because it is free code and are there to improve it day by day.

What do you dislike?

Its main drawback is that it is quite discouraging for novice users, and requires a good degree of technical knowledge, also connections can be low in bandwidth when it is in use, this is a very critical for it, it can also be blocked by proxy, this means that if there is filtering in a proxy for this type of applications, it can not be used, so it is preferably done for personal use in their homes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The application is fully recommended to make secure connections, has a large community that can be helpful at any time, you can also find tutorial videos on the network that will help its use, most of all to new users who do not know how to use it and they need a little more technical knowledge for their optimal use. But I sincerely recommend it only in case you need it is not for everyday use.

I personally use this applications to have secure connections in some places that I have to access and I can not because of country restrictions, it usually happens a lot because of my ISP's crashes and it is better to use a vpn which facilitates my access to the network and in a reliable way with what OpenVPN is

OpenVPN review by Katarzyna K.
Katarzyna K.

"OpenVPN - Create your own private VPN server"

What do you like best?

Personally, OpenVPN is an excellent, multiplatform client for VPN servers. It enables you to establish an encrypted, secure connection using the OpenSSL library. The software has several ways of authentication such as pre-shared keys, certificates, or username and password. Moreover, setting up tunnels and VPNs is seamless, but requires technical skills. The software is open-source, so all the issues are quickly fixed, and the tool supports many platforms. GUI is quite transparent and using it doesn't inconvenience experienced users.

What do you dislike?

Using the software might be difficult for beginners. The configuration could take some time, as the guide uses technical language. Also, if you need help to fix issues, you need to ask about it on forums because customer support is unavailable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend the software, as it provides flexible VPN solutions. Moreover, you are offered a free license that enables you to connect up to 2 devices simultaneously.

OpenVPN enables me to create a secure private network so that I could browse the internet privately, without worrying about data leaks.

OpenVPN review by Konstantyn W.
Konstantyn W.

"Open VPN - Create your own VPN now"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN provides us with a set of mechanisms that allows us to build a secure VPN network - it authorizes, authenticates, encrypts and ensures the integrity of the transmitted data. In addition, it protects the server (hub) against DoS attacks and the virtual network against the injection of foreign data.

+ good support in Linux, Windows and Mac, as well as the ability to advertise single routes.

+ OpenVPN offers two types of tunnels, which we use depending on specific needs: tun/tap

What do you dislike?

- Problem with using on some mobile devices

- Limited free license for 2 devices (license for at least 10 births can be purchased)

- The interface could be more friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to create your own secure vpn, you should consider trying openvpn because it has a free license allowing you to connect to 2 devices at the same time.

Thanks to OpenVPN I can safely use the Internet on all devices without worrying about data leakage.

OpenVPN review by Oleg S.
Oleg S.

"Inexpensive and reliable solution"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN AS is inexpensive comparing to most of other vpn solutions. It is easy to setup and maintain. It worked without any troubles for 10+ years in different setups.

What do you dislike?

Antiquated licensing system that does not work well in cloud environment. We have to manually reset license every time we start instance from scratch after updates. As result we have two sets of instances running and two bought two sets of licenses. There is no builtin support for Okta, Onelogin etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

OpenVPN is a mature product that does both server and client sides right. If you do not need integration with Okta or similar services OpenVPN is a better solution than all other cheaper alternatives and I tried many of them. It is also easier to maintain and use than more expensive products.

I use OpenVPN AS to provide access to internal resources on AWS to developers.

OpenVPN review by Judith C.
Judith C.
View Original

"The free VPN software for people with knowledge"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN it's a free software that works really good. It's efficient, secure, and the clients can be of any operative system, all are compatible. You can tune totally your configuration and there are lots of possibilities. It's good for people that wants to create a customized VPN tunnel.

What do you dislike?

It's really hard to start with OpenVPN, there are much options and isn't easy to get it up. The desktop application of mac don't work properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best alternative to use in a company with linux servers. It's compatible with all operative systems.

Once it's installed in the clients, it runs in background without doing any further work.

We use to connect to the work computers in a safe way. With OpenVPN we can create a private tunnel from our laptops to the firewall server of our company and keep connected to work computers in a safe way.

OpenVPN review by Johnathan B.
Johnathan B.

"Great VPN experience"

What do you like best?

It just works! I love how easy it is to access my server and get VPN access going on any device, laptop, tablet, or smartphone. It's easy to install and configure, and I never have any problems with it. Configuring and updating my own server is super simple. In my experience, I've always had some difficulty setting up hardware VPN appliances, but OpenVPN was no-nonsense. I also love that because it's server-based, I have the ability to virtualize the appliance and take advantage of all the benefits that gives me.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing really I dislike. I'm very content with the way OpenVPN works for my company.

Offering VPN access on a wide range of devices from smartphones to laptops. We have access back into our network no matter what device we are using.

OpenVPN review by Daniel M.
Daniel M.

"More security and digital privacy"

What do you like best?

Today companies are looking for more security and digital privacy, OpenVPN is an open source encryption protocol that provides both, is powerful and flexible and is compatible with Linux, Windows and Apple, I use it to connect remotely to my company's network and configure users and accesses.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it becomes a bit slow and is a bit technical and complex for novice users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a free service but complicated to use without prior knowledge, in a company is very useful because it offers options to configure and modify the code, but for domestic use I recommend paying for a simpler vpn service.

OpenVPN helps me control the connections and data access in my organization, we have modified it to fit our needs and it has improved the monitoring of remote workers remarkably.

OpenVPN review by Joey L.
Joey L.

"It is not like other VPN services but something more complex"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN is a very interesting software, it is not like other VPN services but something more complex, it allows me to connect remotely to my company's network securely through tunnels with SSL encryption, it also allows me to configure proxies and network access restrictions to remote workers.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that bothers me about this software, it's very functional and secure, and it's open source and free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can be modified without problems because it adapts to the needs of the programmer.

It allows me to work from home with access to my company's servers and information, in our company there are many employees who work remotely and with this software we can create tunnels with limited access to the necessary data.

OpenVPN review by John G.
John G.

"Secure, easy and scalable"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN offers users a very simple and secure VPN option that is both economical and quick to install. Users are able to easily install it on their client devices.

What do you dislike?

The update process is very poor. It is very hard to determine the name of the version to use with 'wget' when updates are available. There is no single place to look. Adding users to security groups in AD does not easily translate to VPN access rights.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before using OpenVPN be sure you understand limitations around group membership and extra requirements that are not as easily implemented.

We typically find customers who have open RDP ports to their network and we can quickly secure that by using OpenVPN.

OpenVPN review by Maria S.
Maria S.

"Excellent encryption for your remote connections"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN is an excellent VPN protocol, which use OpenSSL for connections. This VPN offers a wide range of customizations and can be used in various environments and implementations. I use this protocol with ExpressVPN and with remote connection clients in pfSense and it really gives me powerful encryption with amazing capabilities. I like that you can execute it in all the OS: Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android. OpenVPN offers me a secure way to connect to my clients and the impact on upload and download speed is not compromised by encryption. The OpenVPN developer community is always supporting the users and the available web content is very broad.

What do you dislike?

The biggest disadvantage of OpenVPN is that it requires a high knowledge in VPN to be able to be implemented. The configuration of the OpenVPN servers is complex and if it requires authentication with an LDAP server or similar, it can be very confusing. Although this protocol does not decrease the speed, the encryption that it imposes must be considered, therefore the most advisable thing is that it has a good connection to the internet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider that it requires a highly trained staff to implement OpenVPN, its use and manipulation need time and dedication.

With OpenVPN I guarantee secure and remote connection to my clients so that they can connect to their business network outside the building. Thanks to this I facilitate daily work and increase the productivity of your business. OpenVPN guarantees a great service, stable and with high fault tolerance.

OpenVPN review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Affordable, easy to setup VPN solution for SMB"

What do you like best?

Ease of setup and ease of install are the best features. Also it's nice to be able to tie security permissions to specific active directory groups. very easy to install updates and manage on a server. one of our least troubleshot applications across the organization. also being provided simple rpms and packages further allows for ease of use.

What do you dislike?

confusing website layout and lack of insight into the vpn connection experience. would be good to have a verbose setting on the client to see any potential connection issues. also phone or chat support to get direct response would be awesome to get immediate response.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They offer non-profit and educational discount if you ask. Other open-source VPN's out there don't have the feature set or support available compared to OpenVPN. If you look at the competitors like WireGuard or NordVPN, that lack in one or both of the places that OpenVPN excels.

affordable vpn that is easy to setup and manage. even our help desk and student assistants that joined can easily manage users, troubleshoot issues. this saves us in labor time and labor costs so our information systems team can focus on other initiatibves that impact the company's bottom line rather than troubleshooting vpn issues or worrying about costs.

OpenVPN review by Maciej P.
Maciej P.

"OpenVPN - My review"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN is one of the most secure protocols available for free on the market, it supports AES-256 encryption and is the preferred protocol for all security enthusiasts. This is the right software if you want to maintain total security on the Internet, but don't forget to pair it with a high-quality VPN to get the best results. First of all, the trust of the users since 2002, which means that it is not a new product on the market, it is worth mentioning the fact that the free license allows you to use two devices at the same time so that we can test the capabilities of this protocol on our skin.

What do you dislike?

- Decreases speed by encrypting traffic

- Old-looking design

- Configuration problem for novice users

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to create a secure VPN network, you should use the OpenVPN protocol, which is available for free.

Using OpenVPN, I can securely connect to services that are important to my company, for example to a database.

OpenVPN review by Frederik G.
Frederik G.

"Protects data transfers and communications."

What do you like best?

OpenVPN is an open source software and not a VPN provider, with this software you can create encrypted virtual private network tunnels, passes completely firewalls, is very easy to use, the encryption is excellent (TSL/SSL) and protects data transfers and communications.

What do you dislike?

OpenVPN does not offer a user support service which makes it difficult to solve problems even though it has a large global support community and that helps a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a software with high levels of security and encryption, is free and easy to use.

Having a powerful 256-bit encryption helps me to keep my connections anonymous and secure, and provides webrtc protection.

OpenVPN review by Carmer N.
Carmer N.

"The best for protect you"

What do you like best?

There are a few things that I like about open vpn, it is a free programming and you can make alterations to the code, the wide assortment of servers that it offers so clients can attempt a few and consequently remain with which we feel more good exploring the Internet, it doesn't measure much, you can get it as an augmentation of chrome, download in the playstore for gadgets with android. In phones it is so easy to utilize that just a single picks the server and that is it. The help on your site is exceptionally valuable.

What do you dislike?

It truly is great, for code changes on the off chance that it is prescribed to have a propelled learning of programming on the grounds that every client has diverse inclinations and at times they have to alter the product details to fulfill their necessities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not super easy to use but rather it works exceptionally well and is totally free. Difficult to beat in the VPN portion, given expense/security/dependability.

We use to associate with the work PCs safy. With OpenVPN we can make a private passage from our workstations to the firewall server of our organization.

OpenVPN review by Ryan C.
Ryan C.

"Solid basic low cost solution"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN has provided us with a solid low cost VPN option giving our user the "in office" experience they are looking for when they are working remotely. We are a small company with a small IT staff. Rolling out OpenVPN to our users was simple and painless.

What do you dislike?

I would like if it the GUI was able to do everything you can do in the command line interface. For those of us weak in Linux working with the command line can be a challenge.

The OpenVPN virtual appliance allows us to give users an "in office" experience when they are working remotely.

OpenVPN review by Henry P.
Henry P.

"Best software to create VPN tunnels."

What do you like best?

OpenVPN is the best software to create VPN tunnels, is easy to modify because it is open source and is very secure and reliable, I also like to be able to access my network from my mobile or any other device.

What do you dislike?

It does not accept some proxies and is quite difficult for novices to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

OpenVPN is highly recommended to work remotely, very secure and open source so it can be modified without problems, it is also free and relatively easy to use.

OpenVPN helps protect us from hacker intrusion and gives us access to our network remotely and work from home.

OpenVPN review by Juan I.
Juan I.

"Very segure an easy to use."

What do you like best?

Open VPN is a great VPN (Virtual Private Network) server that runs on Windows and Linux, is very popular for its security, for being an open source and because it is really very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Not all proxies in the world are compatible although most and sometimes latencies can be very high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Open VPN is a free software even more secure than other expensive services, is very easy to use and works with almost any proxy.

We have very sensitive data on our computers and thanks to OpenVPN and its encryption we can navigate and communicate securely through the web.

OpenVPN review by Dan R.
Dan R.

"Simple and powerful VPN without the hassle"

What do you like best?

Ease of deployment, ease of maintenance, simple to on-board new users. Administration of the system is straightforward. Incredibly responsive support.

What do you dislike?

In a cloud environment where you bring your own license, a small change to the underlying instance (stopping and starting the host machine) requires a new activation key. Thankfully, their support is incredibly responsive, however, would be lovely not to require this step.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A two user license is available for free. I would encourage anyone considering this product for use in production to give it a look.

Simple and secure remote access. Bastion host for cloud environments.

OpenVPN review by Samuel Josue T.
Samuel Josue T.

"The most efficient VPN."

What do you like best?

There are several things that I like about open vpn, it is a free software and you can make modifications to the code, the wide variety of servers that it offers so that users can try several and thus stay with which we feel more comfortable navigating the Internet, it does not weigh much, you can get it as an extension of chrome, download in the playstore for devices with android. In cell phones it is so simple to use that only one chooses the server and that's it. The support on your website is very useful.

What do you dislike?

It really is very good, for code modifications if it is recommended to have an advanced knowledge of programming because each user has different preferences and sometimes they need to adjust the software specifications in order to satisfy their needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As recommendations, if they are companies that are looking for that they are not limiting access to websites, they want to browse freely on the web. download open VPN, has a variety of servers, Japan, Great Britain, Korea, USA, Italy, France, China, Spain, etc. It is very fast and easy to use, you can use it comfortably from your cell phone or a PC. Work in any OS.

Open VPN has solved problems in the company, as are the restrictions that you have to access internet pages that have been blocked for the IP of the country where we are located.

OpenVPN review by Aeryn B.
Aeryn B.

"SSL encryption protocol"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN is more secure than other VPN services because it has an SSL encryption protocol, is open source, allows us to connect remotely from any device to the company network, despite being free has no ads and is ompatible with most proxies.

What do you dislike?

It's a complicated thing to use and it takes a while to explain well how to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best thing about OpenVPN is that it is open source and can be modified to fix any error.

It allows us to work remotely more securely, being able to access my company's servers from home is very helpful and saves me a lot of time, also serves me to access internal company websites from any device.

OpenVPN review by Jason K.
Jason K.

"Great VPN option for the Cloud"

What do you like best?

I like that it's easy to install in AWS. Easy to configure options, add users, and that it has two factor authentication built in. You can configure the system to allow connections on common ports so that you're able to connect from pretty much anywhere in the world. You can also setup certain public IPs to route through the VPN in order to make use of static IP whitelisting.

What do you dislike?

That you cannot reset someone's two factor authentication via the web interface. Also, that you cannot reset locked users via the web interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can deploy to AWS via the AMI provided by OpenVPN

Secure access to our sensitive environments and enabling remote employees.

OpenVPN review by Administrator

"Meets most peoples needs"

What do you like best?

The features are mostly all there and quick to setup and maintain. I like controls I can use within the system and the flexibility. The price is the main selling point.

What do you dislike?

The Setup for this is going to be hard for main sys admins out there. The level of networking knowledge required to get it working correctly might be hard for many.

The two factor authentication implementation is poor. This should be much more configurable, and self servicing for users.

LDAP/Active Directory authentication could be better. I would like to see a profile for each user that signs on so 2FA can get reset or custom settings can be applied. follow the Sonicwall SRA/SMA model here would be preferred for more power and flexibility.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should have basic linux and networking knowledge before working with this in production. Play with it all you want otherwise.

Just VPN connectivity for internal users. I will occasionally configure a VPN for a consultant/customer that only allows them access to certain systems.

OpenVPN review by Sam S.
Sam S.

"Very Secure, excellent Value!!!"

What do you like best?

That it's free, and more secure than older Cisco products using a <2048-bit key. Don't need any special hardware, and old server will do with a few NIC cards. I highly recommend from an admin/power user perspective, as you have an extremely secure & reliable VPN tool here that is self-healing and can work well in production environments on a shoe-string budget.

What do you dislike?

User interface is very minimal, the Windows client has been improved but is a little confusing for some users since it resides in the system tray and relies on alt-clicking to connect, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not super user friendly but it works very well and is completely free. Hard to beat in the VPN segment, given cost/security/reliability.

Network security and remote access. Site-Site VPN with no specialized hardware or monthly fees. Works well across multiple platforms, allows me to connect remote Mac clients, Windows 10, and even Linux all through one piece of software.

OpenVPN review by Andrew B.
Andrew B.

"Allows you to create encrypted tunnels to remotely access a network or server."

What do you like best?

OpenVPN is a powerful software that allows you to create encrypted tunnels to remotely access a network or server, is very useful because it allows me to access files and documents remotely and with total security that are not at risk.

What do you dislike?

In the beginning it is a little complicated to learn to use it but as you work with it you start to understand it better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is an excellent software for configuring secure private connections, highly recommended.

In my work it helps me to access from my home to documents that are only in the network of my company, I have access to important data with total security.

OpenVPN review by Jason B.
Jason B.

"OPENVPN works pretty good"

What do you like best?

It's rather stable, assuming you always remember to use IE to manage your server.

What do you dislike?

Support can be slow in resolving bugs. Also, if you use Chrome to manage, it may wipe out settings you have to key back in by hand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be ready to have some work to do the setup. But once up, it runs pretty seamlessly.

we use it to connect several hundred client to our secured network

OpenVPN review by Nick P.
Nick P.

"Amazing Easy VPN"

What do you like best?

The system is easy to setup and easy to configure, server our corporate solution perfectly!

What do you dislike?

The Linux client can be difficult but our new routers all have built in openvpn so no longer a concern

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its honestly just the easiest solution, when you are in a bind its a great go-to

We are an international software firm, your product allows us to support people world wide

OpenVPN review by Juan F.
Juan F.

"Great product"

What do you like best?

The option to configure a whole site for all profiles created within that site.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it disconnects from the network automatically, so have to manually re-connect it, though we have found a way to not disconnect and a few workarounds.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We also use it for connecting to the office vpn, easy setup for vpn profiles and easy to manage.

We are connecting the Dr.'s database to the Dr's website, so that other referring docs can see patients stats. Also patients can log in and update their info and set appointments.

OpenVPN review by Miguel J.
Miguel J.

"Best VPN software for little companies"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN it's a little but powerful program to create VPN tunnels from your computer to another, or from a computer to a full network. It's totally safe, and if you scale the server, can deal with a big number of connections.

What do you dislike?

At difference with other commercial softwares, OpenVPN needs that you work in the configuration during a few hours, isn't install and ready, and there are some options that are a bit difficult to set.

Recommendations to others considering the product

OpenVPN it's the best opensource alternative, it's free and works good for small-medium companies.

We use to connect from our homes to the network of the work, using as a server a firewall that redirects the traffic.

OpenVPN review by Mark W.
Mark W.

"Reliability and ease of use"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN has been reliable over the many years we've used it. We haven't had any issues with upgrades either!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes we will have issues with security certificates but they are resolved quickly

Recommendations to others considering the product

Quick and easy setup makes OpenVPN a no brainer

Allowing people to work remotely and still maintain security around our applications without having to whitelist everyones IP individually.

OpenVPN review by James P.
James P.

"Excellent, Open-Source, and Affordable"

What do you like best?

I love that OpenVPN takes the complexity out of establishing remote connections and makes things super-easy, reliable, and a breeze to troubleshoot.

What do you dislike?

Under macOS, I'd prefer the OpenVPN client to be baked into the operating system, rather than a separate user-mode application, so that connections can be established BEFORE login occurs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The server portion is free and open-source, easy to implement, and the clients are mostly straight-foward, though may not fit your enterprise deployment strategy.

Connecting to internal systems located in various parts of the world without the need for a Public-facing Internet connection

OpenVPN review by Paul F.
Paul F.

"Cheap, reliable VPN experience"

What do you like best?

Ease of deployment and support. Runs well on all tested devices.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, haven't had any issue using/deploying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it!

Secure remote access to all devices. Easy to get working in difficult network environments over a single TCP or UDP port and speeds surpassed a dedicated $3000 VPN appliance while running from a modest VM.

OpenVPN review by Adam E.
Adam E.

"Easy to setup and works as expected"

What do you like best?

Having the ability to limit users on what subnets then can connect to.

What do you dislike?

Older versions would drop connections always stating that I was logged on from another location. Also, the VPN would start during boot up when I would have it set to not start at boot.

Private external access to our internal networks.

OpenVPN review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"VPN that is reliable and fast."

What do you like best?

I like that this product can be used with multiple diffrent venders verses just one. Can be used on any operating system and is mobile. Keeps password so you don't have to login every time. Works with iOS even when apple breaks things on each update with Wi-Fi

What do you dislike?

The setup isn't easy and must use the application on all devices. iOS and Android devices must open app to start and end VPN connection.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you make nots if the setup information on this product. It's a bit difficult to setup on mobile devices and needs a separate app to use.

Making sure that when on a public connection that our data stays safe.

OpenVPN review by Joshua S.
Joshua S.

"Works fine for what I use it for. No problems."

What do you like best?

I like that I can simply connect to the Open VPN. Once I'm connected I have no problem accessing our database remotely. It doesn't disconnect while I'm using it and it doesn't even seem to slow down the data base.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I have such a long password and that there doesn't seem to be an obvious option for having the password stored in the system. I save the password in MS Word and then have to copy paste it to connect. Seems like a waste of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works well. No hassle.

When I need to work out of the office and still access the data warehouse I use this tool. It allows me to be more flexible in my work location.

OpenVPN review by jymmealey@money360.com j.
jymmealey@money360.com j.

"Excellent product"

What do you like best?

Reasonable price and easy to deploy. I like that it integrates with LDAP so easy to roll out to users. Admin screen is easy to use and logical.

What do you dislike?

Needs mixed mode authentication, I have both AD and non-AD users. Also would like for server updates to be much easier.

The product needs a way to deploy updates to the clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very straightforward product and easy to implement.

Allow remote users access to critical systems. Easy to deploy and maintain

OpenVPN review by Mike G.
Mike G.

"Good Appliance"

What do you like best?

open vpn is easy to install and configure. we use it with about 20 users.

What do you dislike?

An automated server update would be desirable.

We were able to quickly and easily establish a connection to the network to the company.

OpenVPN review by Freddy S.
Freddy S.

"Very Good."

What do you like best?

all the things that can be manually configured.

What do you dislike?

The documentation I poor on the OpenVPN docs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check the list of requirement you need for a VPN server, make sure it can be scaled.

Securing Employees laptops.

OpenVPN review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"In combination with Sophos UTM SSL VPN"

What do you like best?

Easy to configure on mobile devices, you can easily just email yourself the ovpn file or if you have a tablet device, just browse to the UTM User Portal and grab it yourself. I haven't used OpenVPN with any other vendor except for Sophos, but if it works this way with other vendors then it is a great solution. Simple connection once installed with the automated configuration. While some do complain about it, I like that it prompts for credentials every single time you try to connect with it, but once connected you can stay on for days depending on the policy. Why is this important, because PPTP and L2TP/IPsec systems usually have a method to remember credentials. To me this a huge security problem, if a laptop was stolen, or breached, these credentials exist without any sort of effort by the criminal entity.

What do you dislike?

Having to manually up the configuration each time a change is made on the UTM configuration, but it would seem there is no way to avoid that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a reliable connection to your office network and you are running a Sophos UTM with UTM 9.x or even the XG Firewall SF-OS v16+, then OpenVPN is the product Sophos utilises for its SSL VPN. It is easy to deploy to users as they can just login to the UTM User Portal with their own Active Directory credentials (or local creds, depending on your auth methods) and download the full installer with their personalised configuration, or an update file if anything changes. The only downside is that this software/program will not run at time of login from a Windows laptop, so if you need scripts from a domain environment to run before or during login, this wont solve that issue.

With Crypto Ransomware becoming more and more prevalent, and actively breaching Remote Desktop Services and other remote applications that SMBs and Enterprise organizations use, having a secured VPN is critical to keeping these resources private and removing the need for any sort of DNAT.

OpenVPN review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"A great VPN solution for multiple network and client types!"

What do you like best?

We like that OpenVPN is... well... open. It works with Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, you name it. We're not vendor locked.

What do you dislike?

The support offering is a little light, but given the upside and cost, that's completely understandable.

We have a lot of mobile users around the US, getting them connected using an SSL, TCP, UDP adaptive VPN solution is critical given the types or networks our team is accessing from.

OpenVPN review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Unique product that add value to our customer proposal!"

What do you like best?

Flexibility, scalability, redundancy capability and LDAP integration.

What do you dislike?

Windows client is sometime buggy, better than before but still need some improvement for first time users (inexperienced users may require assistance from helpdesk initially).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just make the switch, you'll be convinced soon enough!

We use this for all our managed services solutions, allowing our customers to access their infrastructure securely, with any device and using their central authentication system (AD).

"Reliable. "

What do you like best?

Based on solid, widely used open source technology, so we can extend as needed.

But has additional GUI management that makes life easier.

Multi platform client support.

Ships as easy to maintain Ubuntu VMware image.

What do you dislike?

Logging could be better, can be difficult to figure out why someone didn't connect

MS-windows client occasionally glitches and needs re-installation (but this could be because Microsoft is a rubbish OS).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not flashy but does everything our organisation requires. Extremely reliable, all issues related to the bad quaility software the majority of our clients are forced to use (i.e. microsoft OS).

VPN services for our roaming staff

OpenVPN review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"OpenVPN is Great for Anyone looking for a VPN solution"

What do you like best?

I'm a big fan of the administrative UI that simplifies the management process as well as the lightweight footprint and install time.

What do you dislike?

Really not much to dislike about the product, you're getting exactly what you pay for and more.

OpenVPN has solved our need to access secure cloud systems from different remote locations without exposing any of those systems directly to the web.

"OpenVPN review"

What do you like best?

OpenVPN provides the ability to activate MFA for an installation.This is very useful for high-security environments.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the OpenVPN log on the client grows very large and requires a client server reboot

Provide secure access from client computer to private network in the cloud. It allows us to improve security to the cloud by limiting firewall rules.

OpenVPN review by Frantz L.
Frantz L.

"OpenVPN - So easy"

What do you like best?

Easy to deploy, not much resources in play

What do you dislike?

Nothing, th eproduct does what it is supposed to do

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product, nothing to complain about

User connectivity

OpenVPN review by Administrator

"OpenVPN makes it easy to deploy"

What do you like best?

I appreciate how easy it is to install OpenVPN on a new machine

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it's difficult to understand the error messages, you have to dig through log files

We have saved time and improved security by consistently going with OpenVPN rather than other solutions which require us to continually tweak and alter the configuration

OpenVPN review by Administrator

"Secure VPN for a University"

What do you like best?

I like the freely availability of OpenVPN client to most operating system. Also the web interface is very easy to configure.

What do you dislike?

The web interface is not able to reach a top grade with Qualys SSL Server Test, and this is against our security policy.

Giving University personals and students access to internal servers.

OpenVPN review by Michael B.
Michael B.

"Simple and effective"

What do you like best?

It seems to separate VPN traffic from Internet traffic so as to utilize the local IP arrangement.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I dislike about this tool!

Easy corporate intranet access

Learn more about OpenVPN

OpenVPN Videos

Learning about OpenVPN?

* We monitor all OpenVPN reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare OpenVPN to Similar Solutions