OpticsPro

DxO OpticsPro is a professional RAW and JPEG image processing software.

Work for OpticsPro?

Learning about OpticsPro?

OpticsPro Reviews

Showing 11 OpticsPro reviews
OpticsPro review by <span>Donna B.</span>
Donna B.

A Great Raw Processor

What do you like best?

The noise reduction is unbelievable. I occasionally take dog agility photographs. The speed of the dogs demands a fast shutter speed, but since I'm taking photos inside of a building the light isn't great. Flash can't be used because it would distract the dogs and handlers. This means that I need to use a high ISO. Optics Pro does a much better job at cleaning up the noise than the other software I tried - Adobe Lightroom and Canon Digital Photo Professional.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't do a few things that Adobe Lightroom does that are really convenient. The dust removal tool apparently can't be resized (I'm still using the trial version, but I've had it for quite a while). Lightroom also let's me see where I've used the dust removal tool if I go back months or even years later. Lightroom also let's me save "Snapshots" with different settings; of course, Optics Pro does, however, let me use versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At this point in the trial evaluation I'm really happy with the software. I'd definitely recommend it to any photographer looking to process images.

My software expenses have been reduced since I don't need an Adobe subscription anymore. I had been doing the bulk of my photo editing in Lightroom and then bringing the image into Photoshop for final editing before printing. Optics Pro will replace Lightroom in my workflow and I have a copy of Photoshop CS4 and Gimp. The cataloging function of Lightroom has already been replaced with Daminion which works perfectly with Optics Pro. From Daminion, I can search for a specific image then choose to open it with Optics Pro. The two pieces of software work together just as seamlessly as switching Lightroom modules. And it's faster.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about OpticsPro
OpticsPro review by User in Media Production
User in Media Production

Great way to adjust a photo session quickly

What do you like best?

Easy to apply settings across multiple photos from a shoot. The workflow is very streamlined with this one. There are only a couple tabs to toggle between modes. I like this much better than Lightroom's workflow. The ability to preview presets for images is fast and accurate. I love how easy it is to make changes to the level of detail, noise reduction, color corrections and nearly every possible adjustment. Optics Pro the clear winner when it comes to meeting my editing needs.

One of my favorite features is the software's ability to identify and download camera and lens profiles while automatically applying the corrections to the images.

Another feature that I really like is the DxO ClearView option. ClearView can bring out details that you don't even know are in the image. This can be a subtle effect or an over-the-top thing - just like HDR can be under or over-used. In the right hands and with the right settings, ClearView can really make your photos stand out.

What do you dislike?

I have not yet found anything that I don't like about the software. It is somewhat pared-down from software such as Lightroom, but then, I don't need to edit photos AND order prints from the same software. That's about the only thing that I find lacking in Optics Pro and I don't mind at all. If you prefer to edit and order prints from the same application, then this may cause you some frustration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great replacement for Aperture with even more features. I'd have to say that this is the most valuable piece of editing software that I own.

Fills the gap created by Apple's removal of Aperture; I loved the Aperture workflow and this is similar enough for me to feel comfortable. It is far easier to use than Adobe's Lightroom and Pretty much meets all of my needs/expectations. It has made my workflow so much easier and saved me a lot of time. If only there were a similar software for login video clips...

What Photo Editing solution do you use?

OpticsPro review by User in Gambling & Casinos
User in Gambling & Casinos

I look at DxO as a raw converter

What do you like best?

I look at DxO as a non-destructive raw converter with some unique features that can make the difference between a great image and one that either ends up in the trash. To be honest, if I can accomplish my editing needs without leaving Lightroom, that’s my first choice. However, DxO has made it as seamless as possible to work with Lightroom - direct import and export to Lightroom are supported, so there are no additional steps required other than choosing Edit in DxO and then returning those adjusted files back to your Lightroom catalog.

What do you dislike?

I don’t see it as is a image organization tool. For that, I still depend on Lightroom.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Tethering for me is a real deal breaker at the moment, if you could add that and Metadata tagging that would raise an eyebrow or two.

With the latest release of Lightroom Classic and CC, I find I use DxO less and less. So the only real benefit I have is that I won't have to upgrade DxO for the results I want.

OpticsPro review by <span>Paul Andrei A.</span>
Paul Andrei A.

Dxo Optics pro can improve your images but it isn't quite there with organizing and batch procesing

What do you like best?

I love it's noise reduction. it's the best you can get. Even if you shoot a low light picture with lots of noise in the dark areas, Dxo can manage it better then the competition. It also does a perfect job when correcting distortion of widelens and even fisheye images that it straightens perfectly. You can also post directly to facebook or flickr and other apps from Opticspro

What do you dislike?

It is very hard to work with on longer projects. It doesnt help my workflow as a wedding photographer. I have to edit 800-1000 shots per day. The noise reduction takes forever to remove the noise and there are no local brush adjustment options. I have to buy the more expensive software ELITE so my camera gets supported. i now own a nikon d750 and previously i had a d600

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you shoot a lot of images you wont be able to use it as your prime editor.

It has helped me clean some images of noise that otherway i would consider them useless. My time correcting distorted images has been cut in half. Ii love the autodistortion that is much better than lightroom.

OpticsPro review by <span>Stacy N.</span>
Stacy N.

DxO Optics Pro

What do you like best?

DxO is able to reveal and control details and colors in photos unlike any other imaging software I've tried. It is an integral part of my workflow - vital in controlling shadows and highlights in my RAW images (and also works with JPG).

The ability to recreate a type of HDR without even shooting in true HDR style (merging) has been greatly improved and appreciated when a shot needs to have more details revealed n the shadow areas - or for reclaiming potentially lost highlights.

What do you dislike?

At times the software has tested the limits of my computer's memory... it does on occasion lock up and crash (but submits a user report to DxO so I know they are continually improving based on what the users are submitting).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would encourage photographers to download a trial copy of the software and experience using DxO in their own workflow. It has many, many settings that must be experienced to appreciate. There are tutorials and "recipes" along with a newsletter with tips. There are also settings for images captured by smartphones (in addition to dSLRs and others).

In addition to being able to fully control its settings, DxO has a number of pre-set options created specifically to enhance an image for its best potential end use.

OpticsPro review by <span>Preston P.</span>
Preston P.

Essential Part of my RAW Workflow

What do you like best?

After comparing with results with several similar products, I found that DxO Optics Pro delivers significantly sharper and cleaner RAW processing than its competitors. The degree of fine control is well beyond other RAW tools and the ability to create custom profiles for different studio lights is important to me. DxO is always my first step in the processing workflow. The integration with Lightroom is critical to the workflow and DxO has done a good job with how it works.

What do you dislike?

Faster performance is always on the wish list for this type of software. Support for some exotic older lenses would be welcome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the free trial to compare DxO OpticsPro with your current RAW processing tool. I'd be surprised if you did not opt to keep OpticsPro.

As a pro RAW shooter, the ability to deliver the highest quality digital images is a competitive advantage. I found DxO OpticsPro to be the best RAW processor available.

Learning about OpticsPro?

* We monitor all OpticsPro reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.