Oracle Database 12c

Helps customers lower IT costs and deliver a higher quality of service by enabling consolidation onto database clouds.

Work for Oracle Database 12c?
Informixenterpriseedition 2x

Learning about Oracle?

Oracle Database 12c Reviews

Showing 277 Oracle reviews
Oracle review by <span>David L.</span>
David L.

Best and Most Versatile Database

What do you like best?

I love the quick and easy SQL. I know its not 100% standard, but outer joins with (+) are so much easier to read than "left join ... on ...". It is also easy to optimise and there are loads of parameters for all types of circumstances. I also like that I can set up DBLinks to for example SQL Server and write Oracle SQL that works against SQL Server. And I like the PL/SQL. One can write detailed and complex programs inside the Oracle database and its amazing how quickly they run.

What do you dislike?

Oracle has got very big and it is difficult to keep up to date with all the different developments. I focus on the Oracle PL/SQL programming and I use Delphi for the front end. At the moment I am learning how to do REST inside the Oracle database, and the documentation and set up is rather complex and it is time consuming to set up something that shouldn't be so complex. Oracle SQL Developer, the free DML and DDL tool that comes with Oracle is good, but slightly buggy and I much prefer Toad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great database. Easy to use, tune, debug, work with. Might seem a bit pricey, but IMHO it is worth it. And everything is free at development time, for as long as you need, which is important for me.

Accounting, Incentive and Loyalty, Call Centre, ERP, Everything ...

Quick development, easy to work inside the database easy to debug with Toad.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Oracle Database 12c
Oracle review by <span>Jaya Krishna T.</span>
Jaya Krishna T.

Sr. Oracle Database Engineer

What do you like best?

Oracle software provides great granularity in setting up the environment as per our needs and requirements. Customizing the solutions based on the problem areas comes with great ease and performance.

Performance issues could be easily found out using the tools like OEM and profiler options. Crontab allows us to make sure that all the jobs are properly schedule.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I dislike with Oracle. It would have been great to have the GUI on the Oracle similar to SQL Server management studio to manage the databases much efficiently and automate lots of stuff more efficiently and faster. Re-inventing the wheel kind of scenarios are some of the examples that we could have eliminated if we would have had a comfortable GUI tool to run on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great product and perfect fit for the Production environment for Mission-Critical databases.

We are utilizing the Oracle databases as a backend to Support Linkedin.com customer facing website. We have one of the largest GoldenGate implementations at LinkedIn having multi-colo setup. This is setup across 4 Datacenters across the Globe to provide high availability. We also have Active DataGuard setup across all the databases on all the colos to provide read traffic their dedicated instance. Also, having the nodes used for the Database backup and recovery purpose in times of disaster.

We also have the downstream functionality and support to our downstream customers like Teradata, Hadoop and Reporting environments to do near-live analytics of the data and run business critical reporting which goes to the Senior Leadership and Board level for analyzing the company's performance, objectives and goals.

We also have the custom scripting and Audit on top of our existing configuration to support what we already been provided by Oracle.

Automation using shell, perl and python scripts have been of a great deal using Oracle to setup lot of jobs which perform routine DBA tasks.

What Relational Databases solution do you use?

Oracle review by <span>Florence Z.</span>
Florence Z.

The best relational database

What do you like best?

Hands-down the best relational database on the market, if not considering the price part. Stable relational database since version 9i. With 12c you get lots of features for free, lots of work done specially in optimizor so that only Oracle can handle queries of that complexity.

What do you dislike?

With more automation or artificial intelligence as they named it, there is obvious overhead. To make things easy, evaluate what your application really need and disabled things you don't need. The license model is very complicated, really need an expert in your organization to work on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hands down the best relational database on market, if cost is not a concern.

Money related transactional database systems. A stable system that just does what it's programmed to do, high available, low latency, no data loss, no corruption, no custom complaints.

Oracle review by Administrator

The first database designed for Cloud Computing

What do you like best?

I started in the world of SMBD using Oracle in version 9i and then started as administrator in version 11g, it was very easy to adapt, in version 12c drastic changes were made but they are great especially the multitenant architecture and pluggable databases data that allows you to consolidate databases on a single server at the same time and keeps them separated from each other. This new architecture allows the sharing of SGA, CPU and other resources, greatly reducing the amount of memory and CPU required.

In our organization where there are variety of versions of oracle for different applications, this version 12c and pluggable databases will facilitate the administration and update of patches

What do you dislike?

Technically I have not dislike, alone the price, but it is worth the investment

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it for companies that want a secure database, quite robust, reliable and if they think about using database services in the cloud it would be great.

Since we have a variety of applications in different versions of Oracle, we are evaluating the impact of migrating to version 12c and using the pluggable databases with the version of Oracle that are required

Oracle review by <span>Guneet S.</span>
Guneet S.

Great and traditional Relational Database

What do you like best?

I have started using Oracle DB since its 9i version. It loved this alot. A great tool for Database management and its scalable as well. It has very great feature of timely backup which I like most. Security is always the first priority for them. I really had a great experience with this tool.

What do you dislike?

It is very heavy load tool. It requires more system specification to operate. If we talk about pricing, it is bit costlier than other competitors like google or AWS. These are the only disadvantages I noticed so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will surely recommend this to others and our colleagues as well to use this as their primary db for application. The effort which Oracle made to develop this great tool obviously it should reach to everyone.

As per the client application model, I could not share the screen shot of the application due to security reasons.

If we talk about the huge client application which has large number of customer records, there needs a db which can handle large number of records with its scalable behaviour, Oracle comes first in mind. Oracle is the king in database management with full of security. It is a great tool by Oracle to work on.

Oracle review by <span>Manjeet K.</span>
Manjeet K.

12c: Clustered beast of cloud.

What do you like best?

Oracle 12c has helped us lot by cutting down limitations that we were fetching currently in traditional RDBMS.

12c has functionality of plugging databases (PDBs), where we can form master slave architecture and run multiple DB from single master. Cool isn't it?

Second cool thing, it supports JSON. which is quite helpful if you have application with REST architecture.

What do you dislike?

I don't see there is something to dislike about 12c. Yes, cost is definitely one of the factor where any organization needs to evaluate if it's helping them go positive or not. Because cost of 12c itself and device on which it runs are relative. Which definitely is high. But, again as i said, it would be totally organizations call.

Like is said above 12c has pluggable feature. But, again in order to use it effectively, you need lot of preparation. For ex:

All cluster DB must be configured to handle the resource requirements in accordance with PDBs that you are going to manage, else you will have to shutdown to reconfigure and restart the Cluster DB and all the PDBs. Additionally, you need to keep in mind small things, e.g. container, and all PDBs, should be running on same character set. Hence, it's better to switch to Unicode.

12c is definitely a beast which needs proper care to keep running smoothly. Of course, all the beast do. ;)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely go ahead and opt it. PDBs & CDB will overwhelm you.

I would sum benefits to 3's. Scalability, Security and Stability. Pluggable database of course has helped lot. It's quite a state of art. It has helped lot in managing & reducing time and effort for database upgrades, backup, recovery, etc.

Learning about Oracle Database 12c?

* We monitor all Oracle Database 12c reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.