Oracle Database 12c

Helps customers lower IT costs and deliver a higher quality of service by enabling consolidation onto database clouds.

Work for Oracle Database 12c?

Learning about Oracle?

Oracle Database 12c Reviews

Showing 369 Oracle reviews
Oracle review by Jose Alejandro  C.
Jose Alejandro C.

"Oracle 12c works perfect for and stable big company with hard database structure"

What do you like best?

I like this software because i been using it for years, since oracle 10 and i'm experimented on it, for me its easy to use. It have been improving each version, right now is on top of database, fiable, good enterprise support and has strong security, easy way to do querys.

What do you dislike?

Oracle is one of the biggest and more stable database, but it's a kind hard to learn how to use it and administrate it. its becomes involved with many librarys and files on the operating systems so you will have to know a good knowlodge of oracle and the os.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The new oracle 12c is always getting updates and patches for improve their functionality and security, it can be used for little, middle, big and very big databases, if you are looking for a new implementation or migrating to oracle is worth it, it is a little hard to understand and get knowledge, but after you got it, you will have speed on the querys and security of your data.

I'm actually working in a big company that has an Oracle 12c database of 12 terabytes, it is hard to administrate and critical for the business if it does get down, works perfectly with aix and can be boost with powerha or oracle rac, its important to be with oracle because you have big support and the fiability that the database will always improving their performance.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Oracle Database 12c
Oracle review by David L.
David L.

"Best and Most Versatile Database"

What do you like best?

I love the quick and easy SQL. I know its not 100% standard, but outer joins with (+) are so much easier to read than "left join ... on ...". It is also easy to optimise and there are loads of parameters for all types of circumstances. I also like that I can set up DBLinks to for example SQL Server and write Oracle SQL that works against SQL Server. And I like the PL/SQL. One can write detailed and complex programs inside the Oracle database and its amazing how quickly they run.

What do you dislike?

Oracle has got very big and it is difficult to keep up to date with all the different developments. I focus on the Oracle PL/SQL programming and I use Delphi for the front end. At the moment I am learning how to do REST inside the Oracle database, and the documentation and set up is rather complex and it is time consuming to set up something that shouldn't be so complex. Oracle SQL Developer, the free DML and DDL tool that comes with Oracle is good, but slightly buggy and I much prefer Toad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great database. Easy to use, tune, debug, work with. Might seem a bit pricey, but IMHO it is worth it. And everything is free at development time, for as long as you need, which is important for me.

Accounting, Incentive and Loyalty, Call Centre, ERP, Everything ...

Quick development, easy to work inside the database easy to debug with Toad.

What Relational Databases solution do you use?

Oracle review by Jaya Krishna T.
Jaya Krishna T.

"Sr. Oracle Database Engineer"

What do you like best?

Oracle software provides great granularity in setting up the environment as per our needs and requirements. Customizing the solutions based on the problem areas comes with great ease and performance.

Performance issues could be easily found out using the tools like OEM and profiler options. Crontab allows us to make sure that all the jobs are properly schedule.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I dislike with Oracle. It would have been great to have the GUI on the Oracle similar to SQL Server management studio to manage the databases much efficiently and automate lots of stuff more efficiently and faster. Re-inventing the wheel kind of scenarios are some of the examples that we could have eliminated if we would have had a comfortable GUI tool to run on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great product and perfect fit for the Production environment for Mission-Critical databases.

We are utilizing the Oracle databases as a backend to Support Linkedin.com customer facing website. We have one of the largest GoldenGate implementations at LinkedIn having multi-colo setup. This is setup across 4 Datacenters across the Globe to provide high availability. We also have Active DataGuard setup across all the databases on all the colos to provide read traffic their dedicated instance. Also, having the nodes used for the Database backup and recovery purpose in times of disaster.

We also have the downstream functionality and support to our downstream customers like Teradata, Hadoop and Reporting environments to do near-live analytics of the data and run business critical reporting which goes to the Senior Leadership and Board level for analyzing the company's performance, objectives and goals.

We also have the custom scripting and Audit on top of our existing configuration to support what we already been provided by Oracle.

Automation using shell, perl and python scripts have been of a great deal using Oracle to setup lot of jobs which perform routine DBA tasks.

Oracle review by Florence Z.
Florence Z.

"The best relational database"

What do you like best?

Hands-down the best relational database on the market, if not considering the price part. Stable relational database since version 9i. With 12c you get lots of features for free, lots of work done specially in optimizor so that only Oracle can handle queries of that complexity.

What do you dislike?

With more automation or artificial intelligence as they named it, there is obvious overhead. To make things easy, evaluate what your application really need and disabled things you don't need. The license model is very complicated, really need an expert in your organization to work on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hands down the best relational database on market, if cost is not a concern.

Money related transactional database systems. A stable system that just does what it's programmed to do, high available, low latency, no data loss, no corruption, no custom complaints.

Oracle review by Administrator in Executive Office
Administrator in Executive Office

"Oracle Database 12c for Business that Supports Clientele"

What do you like best?

I like all the features of Oracle 12c. Its performance, flexibility.,Advanced Index Compression, Full Database Caching

What do you dislike?

Technically I do not like the price of the 12c other than Price feature. Oracle is one of the biggest and more stable database, but it's a kind hard to learn how to use it and administrate it. its becomes involved with many library and files on the operating systems so you will have to know a good knowledge of oracle and the OS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Oracle review by Gurminder S.
Gurminder S.

"very modern and advance "

What do you like best?

.It has all the tools and features you expect from world class company like oracle. I have never been dissatisfied with there products.It is very easy to integrate with other services.It has one of the best enterprise support and has great security features which makes it a go to software.If you run into problem documentations are in very brief and easy to understand.

What do you dislike?

It is not for beginners. You need to spend time and sometimes money to master this powerhouse. Luckily you can get training in how to use it anywhere nowadays.i wish they would make the code open source that would be awesome.It has very high cost of ownership.

Recommendations to others considering the product

dont have second thoughts about it. its the best in industry. you will not regret it.

I mostly prepared databases for our clients and helped them to expand to millions of users and visitors on there products. i prepared data-warehouse from scratch with it.when iw as working as database administrator used to perform cloud migrations for clients across different industries.although i used the earlier version. i have not worked on it for couple of years now.

Oracle review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Oracle Database 12C review"

What do you like best?

I could say that there are lot of things in oracle 12c which I likes the most, but one of the quick thing comes to my mind is the Enhanced DDL Operations feature of 12C, which no longer require blocking lock operations and thus allow us to drop the index online and thus saving a lot of time and efforts of a technical person. Another key feature with 12C is their Multitenant Architecture, which introduces container databases (CDB) thus allowing zero, one or many pluggable databases. With this feature, it would be really easy for a Database administrator to have a CDB, with all necessary information , instead of having multiple DB’s architected differently and thus managing them a piece of cake of them.

What do you dislike?

one of the most irritating thing about using oracle product is their support levels. It is really easy to log a call with Oracle, but very hard to get a solution. In my personnel experience, I have seen that once the service request is open , it is a pain in ass to make the level 1 engineer to understand our problem, as the solutions they recommend is generally already applied by the user and he needs some priority and senior person to work on his issue, but they follow strict protocol, which sucks the users experience.

Another pain area is that with everybody getting in virtualization solutions for their business, Oracle will offer very limited guidance on how to properly apply database licensing metrics for non-Oracle virtualization software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

From my experience, I would recommend every database administrator to use this product, as apart from his robustness, it is very easy to use and configure as per our applications requirement. Moreover, its fine tuning is easy and thus it could be customized as per your requirements, especially while in cloud native applications.

the oracle 12C provides a lot of enhanced features which allow us to realize our business goals, like I said earlier, one of the key feature of container databases are extensively used by us for a seamless aligning our business cloud native applications with oracle databases. Another simple feature of 12C, where they have increased variable character size limit from 4,000 to 32,767 bytes is used by us in our new big data applications, where large character size is a common norm these days.

Oracle review by Alessandro R.
Alessandro R.

"Max reliability for transactional tasks"

What do you like best?

Oracle 12c has reached the maximum reliability and availability thanks to the chance to deploy a cluster environment by shared cached. Keep in mind that previous version , as all relational database, suffered from scalability and availability.It is clear that it can't replace a NoSQL database as soon as data are from different sources as unstructured or semi-structured data.

What do you dislike?

Learning curve,especially for those are approaching to Oracle for a short time is a bit long. In fact there are many aspects to care about ,such as policy management, security, administration and auditing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendation is : If your business requires high availability , efficiency , professional support needed to guarantee a high quality of service .Then you have to go straight Oracle 12c, otherwise you can save money go for much less expensive solutions in terms of license.

Querying data horizontal partitioned over several nodes in my local data center

Oracle review by Jhampiert B.
Jhampiert B.

" Analysis and development of information systems with database management"

What do you like best?

I use Oracle Database as part of my work, since, I support an administrative management system that uses to store Oracle 12C data. What I like about 12C is the option or "Invisible Columns" mode, which allows you to hide the change until we want to publish it, the mytable option that allows you to create a table in two steps and the addition of a field in invisible mode are of the options that I like.

What do you dislike?

As a specialist and consultant in the area of ​​IT and with experience in Oracle Database, the biggest drawback is perhaps its price. Even the personal licenses of Oracle 12c are excessively expensive, in my opinion. While we know that we can download much of the developments of the company, it is also true that we can not access the services of My Oracle Support or have available all the programs and updates

Recommendations to others considering the product

As part of the support team of a software development company, he was able to highly recommend Oracle Data Base 12c for the analysis and development of information systems due to its high quality and a large number of new functions

Oracle is by excellence the best relational database manager in the market. It has allowed, in my experience, to develop the Kerux application as part of the administrative management process of more than 50 large institutions in Latin America

Oracle review by Jesus P.
Jesus P.

"Motor de base de datos muy potente"

What do you like best?

Las bases de datos de Oracle son muy potentes permitiendo un gran poder de computación, haciendo que gran parte de la lógica de computación sobre los datos del sistema sean derivados al motor de la base de datos y que este sea quien tenga que hacer el tratamiento de los datos, permitiendo liberar a tus aplicaciones.

What do you dislike?

El entorno o instalación pueden llegar a dar problemas en ciertos entornos, por problemas de puertos o que después de bastante uso se corrompan los datos, algo fácilmente solucionable mediante la realización de copias de seguridad diarias.

Recommendations to others considering the product

La gran capacidad de su motor para el tratamiento de los datos, el tratamiento en lenguaje SQL es bastante más efectiva.

El tratamiento de datos, la carga de los mismos, trabajar con millones y millones de registros en un sistema de Business Intelligence, permitiendo la carga masiva o el tratamiento masivo de muchos datos.

Oracle review by Administrator

"The first database designed for Cloud Computing"

What do you like best?

I started in the world of SMBD using Oracle in version 9i and then started as administrator in version 11g, it was very easy to adapt, in version 12c drastic changes were made but they are great especially the multitenant architecture and pluggable databases data that allows you to consolidate databases on a single server at the same time and keeps them separated from each other. This new architecture allows the sharing of SGA, CPU and other resources, greatly reducing the amount of memory and CPU required.

In our organization where there are variety of versions of oracle for different applications, this version 12c and pluggable databases will facilitate the administration and update of patches

What do you dislike?

Technically I have not dislike, alone the price, but it is worth the investment

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it for companies that want a secure database, quite robust, reliable and if they think about using database services in the cloud it would be great.

Since we have a variety of applications in different versions of Oracle, we are evaluating the impact of migrating to version 12c and using the pluggable databases with the version of Oracle that are required

Oracle review by Guneet S.
Guneet S.

"Great and traditional Relational Database"

What do you like best?

I have started using Oracle DB since its 9i version. It loved this alot. A great tool for Database management and its scalable as well. It has very great feature of timely backup which I like most. Security is always the first priority for them. I really had a great experience with this tool.

What do you dislike?

It is very heavy load tool. It requires more system specification to operate. If we talk about pricing, it is bit costlier than other competitors like google or AWS. These are the only disadvantages I noticed so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will surely recommend this to others and our colleagues as well to use this as their primary db for application. The effort which Oracle made to develop this great tool obviously it should reach to everyone.

As per the client application model, I could not share the screen shot of the application due to security reasons.

If we talk about the huge client application which has large number of customer records, there needs a db which can handle large number of records with its scalable behaviour, Oracle comes first in mind. Oracle is the king in database management with full of security. It is a great tool by Oracle to work on.

Oracle review by Manjeet K.
Manjeet K.

"12c: Clustered beast of cloud."

What do you like best?

Oracle 12c has helped us lot by cutting down limitations that we were fetching currently in traditional RDBMS.

12c has functionality of plugging databases (PDBs), where we can form master slave architecture and run multiple DB from single master. Cool isn't it?

Second cool thing, it supports JSON. which is quite helpful if you have application with REST architecture.

What do you dislike?

I don't see there is something to dislike about 12c. Yes, cost is definitely one of the factor where any organization needs to evaluate if it's helping them go positive or not. Because cost of 12c itself and device on which it runs are relative. Which definitely is high. But, again as i said, it would be totally organizations call.

Like is said above 12c has pluggable feature. But, again in order to use it effectively, you need lot of preparation. For ex:

All cluster DB must be configured to handle the resource requirements in accordance with PDBs that you are going to manage, else you will have to shutdown to reconfigure and restart the Cluster DB and all the PDBs. Additionally, you need to keep in mind small things, e.g. container, and all PDBs, should be running on same character set. Hence, it's better to switch to Unicode.

12c is definitely a beast which needs proper care to keep running smoothly. Of course, all the beast do. ;)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely go ahead and opt it. PDBs & CDB will overwhelm you.

I would sum benefits to 3's. Scalability, Security and Stability. Pluggable database of course has helped lot. It's quite a state of art. It has helped lot in managing & reducing time and effort for database upgrades, backup, recovery, etc.

Oracle review by Haresh S.
Haresh S.

"Good for clustering and full database caching"

What do you like best?

I have dabbled with many databases for the enterprise and organization over a period of time and i strongly feel this is the best database one could ever get because of its scalability and aggregation, and surely the best relational database for large scale application servers and performs well under a heavy load and cheap,store retrieval options are easy and more flexible to create triggers and also create partitions and also in terms of backup and recovery it stands out all the time

What do you dislike?

There are some issues which i really hate one being the restricted PGA size ,table level recovery in recovery manager (RMAN),multiple indexes on the same column which takes quite a bit of a time inorder to get there and also fetch the data effectively and temporary undo in and outs and online migration of an active data file which takes quite a bit of a time and also sometimes session logging and tracking is a hassle here

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would prefer it just for the uniqueness and robustness this database has to offer and also the temporary cache storage tables all the time

For creating synonyms,ddl logging like create update delete statements it works faster and quite efficiently most of the times and temporary undo information takes a lot of steps to get it done but i felt that is effective for the business needs and we were able to save a lot of time in the process

Oracle review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"A powerful relational database with tonnes of features"

What do you like best?

If you have an enterprise version of Oracle, you get to use Oracle Enterprise Manager base version for free use. I have worked on multiple relational database but Oracle has been a great RDBMS. Oracle keeps adding awesome features and is truly the most sophisticated RDBMS in market right now.

What do you dislike?

I am not a fan of known issues caused by applying bundle patches released every quarter. It will be great if Oracle can make sure that we don't have to run into issues after applying patches and then having to rollback them. Although this is a very rare situation, but makes me a bit uncomfortable while doing quarterly patching.

We are using this to migrate a people soft legacy ERP to a more modern ERP using Oracle as relational database.

Oracle review by Chris D.
Chris D.

"Oracle is very difficult to work with"

What do you like best?

Oracle packages are a nice way of bundling functionality, much like classes. They make it a lot easier to organize stored procedures and functions.

What do you dislike?

Everything of Oracle's is insanely expensive and more difficult to setup and administer. The Oracle databases require a lot more manual maintenance, and a lot more effort to setup initially. Additionally, we've been going through an upgrade from 11g to 12c, and it has been incredibly challenging. A number of legacy stored procs have stopped working. All of Oracle's products are very expensive and they never work well together. Oracle's support is terrible as well. At a previous employer, we had Oracle direct one of their customers to us for help, since we were an Oracle customer as well. The first customer called Oracle for help and their support just forwarded the call to us because we were working on something similar, instead of trying to support them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Oracle is incredibly clunky and expensive. It's impossible to recommend it, even for core enterprise systems. Depending on the complexity of your database, you're going to need to get Oracle consultant time to help set it up, which is also insanely expensive. Oracle has mastered convincing non-technical people to choose Oracle.

It's our primary legacy database provider.

Oracle review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Oracle, still the database engine that can't be beat!"

What do you like best?

Robustness. It truly handles relational databases well, as well as all of the ancillary services you need for a fault-tolerant database environment.

What do you dislike?

Cost and marketing. Oracle has a high turnover in technical sales folks, or they move them around a lot. It seems I get a call from each new person and they are always trying to sell us something. We would prefer them to be more "on our side" helping us get our money's worth out of their product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used Microsoft SQL Server and PostgreSQL. If your company needs performance and fault-tolerance that is proven, Oracle is the best choice.

Oracle is our back-end database that runs our mission-critical systems. We use Oracle RAC to provide fault tolerance because we really are a 24 hour shop. We have incredible amounts of data and Oracle has the performance we need.

Oracle review by Administrator in Insurance
Administrator in Insurance

"Works well"

What do you like best?

Once you get it set up. Oracle Database almost (but not quite) runs itself. The only tim you need to mess with it is if you hit a bug or performance changes.

What do you dislike?

It is expensive, no doubt. SQL plan management is a moving target, but if you can get a decent plan locked in, you should good to go.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You get what you pay for. Don't let cost drive you away of another solution can't do the work that Oracle can. It does the work and does it well, for the most part.

Third party and custom internal apps are built on Oracle. Data warehouses (internal and 3rd party) are also built on Oracle. Disaster recovery using Oracle is a breeze. Leveraged our DR solution for clones for test and dev and works great.

Oracle review by Rubén L.
Rubén L.

"Excelente base de datos relacional para su uso empresarial"

What do you like best?

Con esta base de datos relacional se consigue un gran grado de seguridad a la hora de almacenar los datos de un aplicación debido a su gran poder de configuración y gestión de seguridad.

What do you dislike?

La gran baza de esta base de datos relacional es también su gran inconveniente ya que debido a su gran grado de configuración, aveces hace muy difícil su uso, sobre todo si no se esta acostumbrado a su uso.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sin lugar a duda recomiendo el uso de esta base de datos relacional debido a su robustez.

Con este motor de base de datos hemos conseguido el almacenamiento de datos de la empresa consiguiendo un alto grado de seguridad en la integridad de los mismos.

Oracle review by Consultant

"Great for many use cases"

What do you like best?

bullet proof - it is resilient to many failures, from hardware to different software pieces, which makes it an easy choice for an ACID database supporting large scale workloads

What do you dislike?

its costs - it includes a lot of features that you buy all together, but is possible that you don't need all that for your use case. Many people end doing a wrong comparison of their requirements against common open source databases and Oracle, when in reality they are just looking for the minimal covering solution for their needs at the minimun price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has a wide set of features, which could be much more of what a simple transactional DB requirement could need. So better to spend some time initially to weight how much the features you can use are needed and make sense for your budget.

Highly transactional needs over large datasets and concurrency, HA support, strong resistance against hardware failures.

Oracle review by Claudia A.
Claudia A.

"Simplicity in Databases"

What do you like best?

Oracle Database 12c is extremely simple to use. Once you find your shortcuts it becomes second nature to maneuver the database.

What do you dislike?

Oracle Database 12c has an issue with using the back button. You have to remember that you have to use the back button within the database and not the web browser.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that they fix the back browser button issue. Sometimes it slips the mind and it erases all work and information entered.

We are solving how to best reach all of our constituents within our database. As long as you create the proper queries, we are able to pull out important information.

Oracle review by Consultant

"Review as an Oracle Cloud Implementor"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of configurations. I like how it can be integrated with many other third party applications, as well as other solutions and offerings that Oracle Cloud suite offers. I like the user friendly interface that Oracle Cloud 12 offers. I have only worked within the Financial Cloud applications and the general ledger, as well as flow from receivables, payables is solid.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how it is slow sometimes, I dislike the complicated organization structures and business unit configurations. I also dislike the Oracle customer service, as they take SEV 1 service requests, not as seriously as I would like. Furthermore, software patches often mess up some configurations, as well as migrating data and confiiguration setups to different environments is difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about the size of the business before setting it up, as cloud products have their down sides. It is a quick and easy product to deploy, also great to learn as Oracle University has Cloud courses to learn how to configure and set up the product in different modules. *Note to get certified in a module it is difficult.

Financials and accounting for companies in many industries. The benefits are best for medium to large sized businesses. Company also wanted a way to track their expenses from sponsors, as well as track capital projects such as real estate property, and employees computers. Benefits are ease of logging on anywhere and anytime, even if you are not on premise.

Oracle review by Scott J.
Scott J.

"Oracle Databases - Tried and True"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use in the database once it is set up. The interface makes completing SQL queries a really easy and logical task.

What do you dislike?

I recently had to install the database on a new server and the amount of settings that have the be configured is mind boggling. Once it is set up it works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

n/a

We needed to have a database solution set up for classroom training purposes. Database students were going to learn how to interface with Oracle and run queries. The benefits are that once you are familiar SQL, learning Oracle is not too hard to figure out.

Oracle review by Administrator in Banking
Administrator in Banking

"Pluggable Database Very useful"

What do you like best?

One of the most novel features I have observed from 12c is the plug-in database (PDB) usage characteristics which works as a portable collection of one or more schemas, objects, etc., and in turn as a separate database. This offers great utility to the DBAs in their planning, management and maintenance activities saving costs and time to the client. The added improvements in this version such as memory management, Increase in data volume management, Friendliness of Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, management of database in the cloud, and other attributes for administration, Planning and control and management Database

What do you dislike?

I have observed with concern the deterioration in Oracle with the support in MOS. Throughout the time in several years, I have seen and received diverse opinions of colleagues in relation to a significant decrease in the quality of service and the responsiveness of their support team to their clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The innovation, versatility and robustness of the product combining the number of added improvements in this version such as memory management, increased handling of data volume, friendliness of the Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, management of the database in the cloud, and other database attributes that justify its positioning in the marke

The innovation, versatility and robustness of the product product of its positioning in the market seems to me that the best functional version developed by Oracle

Oracle review by Clifford M.
Clifford M.

"Oracle 12 a real step up from FOSS"

What do you like best?

I had been using MySQL at my previous job, this has been like stepping into a race car. It's fast and it feels like it was put together by professionals. Documentation is readily available and support is easy to find.

What do you dislike?

At least in my office, I still have to rely on far too many third party tools to get anything done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I took a new job that was using this. I was a MySQL administrator before. If you can afford to move from the free products, I'd suggest this.

PL/SQL has helped considerably with reusablity of code that generally is custom written every time.

Oracle review by Joe S.
Joe S.

"Oracle and PeopleSoft Working Together"

What do you like best?

Oracle database is very logical and easy for me to understand and maintain. The table structure is very easy for me to understand.

What do you dislike?

I'm not always happy about the execution plan Oracle uses for my PeopleSoft applications and sql queries. They often change when we do an Oracle database upgrade causing issues with the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend. However price tag is very high and support isn't the best.

We have been using Oracle functions in some of our sql queries, which sometimes is the only way to get the desired results we're looking for.

Oracle review by Victor C.
Victor C.

"MVP of databases"

What do you like best?

> Oracle is probably the most popular name when it comes to data storage

> Oracle is an RDBMS platform and it has helped us store huge amount of data without any hiccups

> We use Oracle as an OLAP system to store data for analysis using tableau and it has

> Oracle is cheaper than some big names in the database world

What do you dislike?

> The way oracle SQL works when you have column names in proper case is a bit weird cause you need to use quotes for every column name and that causes problems sometimes while writing batch scripts.

> Oracle connections to other ETL tools might need a lot of drivers and system environment variable configurations

Recommendations to others considering the product

> Consider using oracle database if you need a reliable and scalable data storage option that fuels all your BI needs

> Using Oracle as an OLAP system for storing data to be analyzed by tableau

> We have also setup historical data snapshots on oracle considering it's reliability

Oracle review by Eliseo H.
Eliseo H.

"Altough it has been a short experience, I think it is one of the best RDBMS ever"

What do you like best?

I've been using Oracle since version 7.3 and the learning curve is simple and minimal. Changes to the core tables (dictionary tables) are great!

What do you dislike?

The main dislike is the price, but if you evaluate all "likes" it is the price you must pay

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended. It's one of the best RDBMS.

Where are trying to start a product update from Oracle 11g

Oracle review by Billy L.
Billy L.

"Oracle DB 12c Makes A Mark"

What do you like best?

Oracle DB 12c has a noticeable performance increase when processing data over earlier versions. Expanded capacity for tables and schema is a huge plus. This, in general, is a welcomed upgrade. We have three installs since 12c was released.

What do you dislike?

The upgrade is a bit painful. Not terrible if your are an Oracle Guru, however, if you don't have an experienced team member to perform the upgrade I suggest contracting it out. The other issue is they have moved some tool sets, like the beloved manager for example, out of Standard and into Enterprise only. This is a major bummer and a mis-step on Oracle's side in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You do lose some tools... some good tools. Please do the side by side comparison so that you are aware of anything you may lose that matters to you. Also, do you due diligent before running the upgrade.

For us it was mainly just staying current and utilizing the additional sizing as we have grown quite a bit since versions 10 & 11.

Oracle review by avish p.
avish p.

"I use this product to write queries, procedures, reporting, etc. "

What do you like best?

easy to use. has a lot of options to make like easier like the beautifier option. Does not auto commit changes which is huge. Also, has option to make creating tables, procedure, etc. extremely easy

What do you dislike?

Set up is complicated due to the requirement of setting up TNS listner. Also, results are returned slower than sql server. max query limit is 1000 rows which is not ideal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good product. Gets the job done. Easy to train junior resources on this product than sql server

reporting, creating tables for application uses, creating procedure for updates to the applications, querying data.

Oracle review by Maxim O.
Maxim O.

"Nice stability work of the database"

What do you like best?

Database work almost 24x7, every day except rare profilactic manipulations when need power off. It supports online back up and working very fast and stability. It support SQL functions and I can do intelligent queryes in the database myself.

What do you dislike?

Too complex console commands for back up database, changing settings and so on. Also it is not cleary using operating memory, it does not have clear options for tuning use or not use operating memory in different cases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very stable software

Works with HPE UCMDB on the Oracle Database 12c, and it works together very good - stable and fast.

Oracle review by Sylvia B.
Sylvia B.

"Lots of new features"

What do you like best?

Loving the automatically enabled SQL Optimizer features. Tons of other new features as well - database consolidation , performance tuning, etc. It pretty much has something for everyone.

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything about this version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's definitely the right way to go. Lots of cool features and helpful tools within this product. Highly reccommended.

Query optimization is helpful for our clients who tend to write a lot of bad code. We are not contractually obligated to help re-write their code, so this helps them figure out how to properly optimize their work.

Oracle review by Bonnie E.
Bonnie E.

"Simple and easy to use "

What do you like best?

I like how Oracle can store all relevant employee information in one location. It is user friendly and has a pretty straightforward platform. It is easy to access.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is hard to perform certain functions within the database and often I would run into a little trouble changing or editing information.

When I used Oracle I was working with a database that dealt with student information; I was able to successfully aggregate all of the students data in one place and the system had the benefit of making the information centralized and easy to find.

Oracle review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Best database software"

What do you like best?

Oracle DB is one of the best DB software out there. We use it here at Spectrum on a regular basis with the Engineering team and are still learning how to use it, but so far we are big fans. Well done Oracle.

What do you dislike?

In the beginning we had a lot of challenges figuring it out; I admit the platform was a big confusing looking at it for the first time. After some adaptation and learning where everything is, within 2 weeks we all felt comfortable using it. I guess the only "dislike" is the adaptation part, but just like every other software, you'll need practice to figure out what you're doing.

This is the database software used at Spectrum/Charter Communications.

Oracle review by Dayna T.
Dayna T.

"Reasonably good software package"

What do you like best?

If you know one relational database, you pretty much know all of them, with some minor syntax changes. This DBMS does what it's supposed to do, and it does it reasonably well.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had a few less of those minor syntax changes,

Recommendations to others considering the product

Realize that your SQL may have to change based on what you were using before, and that it is not necessarily instantly portable to other DBMS's

We were using it to store driver license information, the benefit was being able to adhoc query with relative ease

Oracle review by May S.
May S.

"I recommend this product"

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

The cost of operating puts this at a disadvantage

We were on Oracle 10G and we recently upgraded to Oracle 12c. The readction policy that lets whoever needs to view the data will be able to see it where as the other users will not be able to view it

Oracle review by Indars S.
Indars S.

"Oracle DB 12c - probably the most versatile rational db"

What do you like best?

Performance, once fine tuned, is paramount. Also it is more stable and easier to administer if you have the experts who do it on your premises. Can handle huge amount of data without crashing.

What do you dislike?

Very expensive. Only pays off if have to support a lot of data and transactions per second. Plus have to find people with skill to admin it, which also might get expensive.

great for solving problems in situations where need to process lots of data and transactions within short time period and handles that without hookups.

Oracle review by Paul Giancarlo D.
Paul Giancarlo D.

"SQL"

What do you like best?

i think the best for my its the oracle community. Its very active and you can find experts. Blogs and many entrys with many answers about technical questions.

What do you dislike?

The sequences, in my experience when i configure a sequence +1, with cache 20, this sequence jumps every 20 ids. For number IDs. Maybe a lack of missconfiguration.

Save a file with blob type and latter generate the same file with no loss information. Maybe sounds simple but no.

Oracle review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="ec516592-8e21-4a6c-b130-750bfea42fe8">Alan I.</span>
Alan I.
" itemprop="name" />

"Super Fast but a litle bit complicated to install"

What do you like best?

Once it gets installed is the best , fast , strong and adaptable , every thing you need to put your DB to work at 120 % is in there.

Integration with TOAD still great and the manipulation of the data is easy to access and ready to use at any time

What do you dislike?

still work with tns in a txt but is not the end of the world.

the client is really strefull to install

still lak of autonumeric data elements to avoid de use of trigger to make indexes

Recommendations to others considering the product

read all the documentation , for AIX is has a few problems but more for the operating system

SQL server Database migration problems

Oracle review by User in Higher Education

"High Performance and Easy Management"

What do you like best?

Provides network acceleration and compression which greatly improves performance perceived by our end users.

What do you dislike?

Oracle databases are very complex and the cost can be prohibitive for some organizations. Therefore it is mostly ideal for those who have a large budget and the people to support it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to have quality sysadmins support the system

We utilize our Oracle 12c database for storage of all university records. These records are retrieved and displayed by multiple applications. It is utilized for report writing and data manipulation/extraction.

Oracle review by User in Computer Software

"Useful Tool in the Oracle Suite of Products"

What do you like best?

Oracle Database is a great tool for managing and working with relational databases. It is a very reliable piece of software with a lot of options for working with your various database tables.

What do you dislike?

It is licensed under a proprietary license, meaning it is not an open source piece of software. This also means that most of the features are not free. A lot of the more powerful features come from a paid solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend the Oracle Database Express Edition to try first if you aren't quite sure if you're ready to commit to a paid copy of Oracle Database.

I've used Oracle Database briefly on a client project. We are using the entire Oracle Suite of products (VM, Developer, etc.) so it made sense to also use Oracle Database. We use it to manage various yet simple relational databases on a small development project.

Oracle review by Mihai G.
Mihai G.

"The largest architectural change since 8i"

What do you like best?

I'll just put here a few things I like but there are many others that you will have to discover.. In this version of Oracle DB multi-tenant is available in all editions of DB 12c (personal, enterprise and standard). I consider that this is the future and you should get accommodate with this new feature. Instances now are one per each host, background processes are not duplicated but may have slave processes or threads. Resources manager balances. Also you can have individual DB's that can be started and stopped. You can use Instance to implement one SLA, you have multiple db's in same instance if they can (and must be) patched together. It is possible to move pluggable db to another instance during the patch process, and the restore it after patch, this is a big plus for minimizing the down time. The SGA is now potentially much bigger and therefore there is no need to avoid Huge Pages. Regarding Tuning multi-tenant should reduce the instances and make advanced tuning potentially simpler. Also when we talk about backup this allows entire container db backup, root only backup. Also keep in mind that everything in this version can be scripted.

What do you dislike?

The time it will take you to to get comfortable with new changes. It can be potentially costly to administer. Automatic memory management is not compatible with huge pages. You will need to re-think the purpose of backups and how this is made and for what. Cloud control for 12c would require significant time investment to get started with. Even if you pay high end subscription the support can let you down sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have used previous versions, you would have to get acquainted with this new one. On the long run I think you will like it, but on short term you will find it a little bit harder then previous versions

Used it at home for private projects, and also at work. A stable product and something you can relay on with lots of documentation. It get's it's job done.

Oracle review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.

"Oracle 12c full featured enterprise level database"

What do you like best?

Oracle 12c is a full featured, enterprise level database. The number of built-in tools like a SQL interpreter, backup and restore and automated maintenance tasks provides the DBA with an amazing amount of power and flexibility. The dynamic optimizer scales from just a few megabytes to multiple terabytes to maintain query performance.

What do you dislike?

Oracle 12c database minimum system requirements require somewhat more CPU and memory than MS SQLServer or MySQL databases.

We have large data warehouses where we can analyze transactions and trends.

Oracle review by Paul J.
Paul J.

"Oracle"

What do you like best?

I'm used to the program, it's current, easy to follow for upgrades / updates and format, reasonable response time and works well with most online programs and browsers along with both types of networks.

What do you dislike?

cost and support appears somewhat expensive, however currently using platform run and designed by other system with costs and support by large corporation which I currently subcontract under.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your corporation is large enough, Oracle is one of the better solutions for large enterprise systems for both types of networks.

The use of data transfer and report writing, data analysis and communication throughout continental USA for subcontract work with large corporation.

Oracle review by vikas A.
vikas A.

"Great product to use "

What do you like best?

The new features which came in this version of database is really good and user friendly. Oracle is removing the obstacles from the previous release.

What do you dislike?

I still don't like few thinks in RMAN which I think resolved in the 12.2

This is really good for the large OLTP database

Oracle review by Olga G.
Olga G.

"Usabilidad de Órale 12c"

What do you like best?

Gestor muy potente de base de datos. Su administración es compleja pero si se realiza de forma correcta hace que para mi opinión sea la mejor opción en cuanto a base de datos.

What do you dislike?

Su interface es complejo y limitado. Se necesitan herramientas externas para una mejor usabilidad.

Administración de bases de datos complejas y con gran número de registros. Para este tipo de base de datos es el mejor gestor.

Oracle review by KESAVA RAM G.
KESAVA RAM G.

"Changing Times"

What do you like best?

Plug and Unplug made easy and hassle free for the database administrators

What do you dislike?

locking mechanism for data consistency and also the ease of managing the databases with minimal downtime and quick turnaround

Recommendations to others considering the product

can recommend as per the business requirement and dependancies.

Backups and Recovery situations and addressing the performance issues which slowdown the business as per their requirement and also offloading the daily data to some other environment thereby ensuring work load belonging daily and exceptional load is balanced with quick i/o throughput

Oracle review by Gurmeet Singh K.
Gurmeet Singh K.

"Overall experience with oracle has been very good. "

What do you like best?

I like oracle performance even with enormous data it works nicely.

I also like level of configuration which oracle provides.

What do you dislike?

Integration with Microsoft technologies is not as good as Microsoft sql servers.

Some times we face hiccups while connect latest Microsoft technologies to oracle database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for Oracle if you need performance for your application.

Best for non-Microsoft development technologies.

We have a client web application which uses Oracle Database 12c.

Oracle review by Sid E.
Sid E.

"Oracle 12C Review"

What do you like best?

The speed of the database. Results for large amounts of data have extremely fast return times.

What do you dislike?

I have found the maintenance aspects of Oracle databases to be difficult and time consuming.

Inventory of computer hardware

Oracle review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"The complete DB Package"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use to upgrade and manage the oracle database. It is very simple to expand tables and schemas and limit their growth to prevent a database from becoming too large with garbage.

What do you dislike?

Upgrading is a bit of a pain sometimes when you have to do a full reinstall for best results

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider your licence requirements as they are quite complicated and you may only need a standard licence instead of enterprise.

We are able to put a huge amount of different data in a single stable database that can be queried by a number of differnent platforms such as .NET and SQL.

Oracle review by Derek J.
Derek J.

"Expensive product from a sue-happy company"

What do you like best?

Performance of Oracle products tends to be top-notch.

What do you dislike?

Support - both in terms of from the company and online communities - is terrible. It's complex to manage As a systems administrator. It's one of the most expensive products we we've ever used and for a database, and Oracle loves to sue its customers

We no longer use Oracle products because they were so expensive. Therefore we are now improving our budgeting situation by having removed it.

Oracle review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Judy's opinion"

What do you like best?

I love Oracle. Great support. Love the communication and the account managers. Love Open World.

What do you dislike?

The only problem is licensing.... it is still expensive. I think Oracle needs to promote better service to help the DBAs to get more free training so DBAs can help bring you more business. Because we the DBA have the first hands on. I think I can sell your product better. How about provide free training for new products to DBA's and give major discount for the first 60 days after training. Maybe give a presentation onsite to the company CTO and CFO so they can authorize the great product. Love Oracle!

how to handle connectivity from MAC and make it easier to configure..

Oracle review by Jaikrit N.
Jaikrit N.

"Great experience with Oracle 12c"

What do you like best?

I love to use Oracle. Its so user friendly and the documentation is simply awesome. You can get everything in detail while using Oracle documentation.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing specific that I dislike. But yes it would be great if their code becomes open source.

Building a large datawarehouse using Oracle is one of the business problems that we have solved. Its performance, availability, efficiency is simply perfect

Oracle review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Oracle big data is great but the cloud needs more"

What do you like best?

It’s a well established company that provides excellent support. It was extremely easy to integrate into RDS and deploy through the AWS cloud.

What do you dislike?

If you’re not using RDS then oracle integration into AWS is difficult. There is a lack of support through Oracle with regards to AWS. I found actually installing with a data guard deployment to be very difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure that you have a solid dab background if you’re looking to switch. There’s a high learning curve with this product and i feel that in some ways installation is more difficult than need be.

Modernizing oracle applications for movement into the cloud. Taking weblogic apps and moving them into AWS

Oracle review by charissa w.
charissa w.

"Oracle Database"

What do you like best?

I love the cloud service, security, and cost. It meets the need of the school to function properly.

What do you dislike?

There are more updates than I Would like but everything else is wonderful.

Storage,and speed. The cloud is awesome.

Oracle review by Fred G.
Fred G.

"Excellent product"

What do you like best?

I like the easy way a using it. It is intuitive

What do you dislike?

Time of setting up the database. It is conplicated

Making some query to solve some test issues

Oracle review by Wayne L.
Wayne L.

"Leading relational database with proven technology and market share"

What do you like best?

* Sold relational database with a lot of bells and whistles

* End to end solution from storage , Server, OS, database, middleware, ERP and anything you can think of for enterprise software solutions.

* Multi-version concurrency control (MVCC) first pioneered in Oracle and becomes industry standard

* Share storage clustering technology (Real application clustet, RAC) transparent to application and scale relatively well.

What do you dislike?

* High cost of ownership.

* Rigid on product development comparing with much smaller and more agile new generation of no traditional database offerings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not sure what database to choose from, go with Oracle. Oracle cost model is very complicated so it is worth to spend some time to talk to Oracle Account Manager and do some research to find out what is the best to fit your needs and reduce the cost of ownership.

We use Oracle for operational database and database with relational data model and star schema data model. Oracle database is the bread and butter for the database industry for many years and it is high refined in terms of quality, performance and additional features.

It is a general purpose database can do almost everything reasonably well and a database that do not have too many tricks and traps to be aware of. Oracle database can be build with a lot of muscle all the way to Oracle Engineered System. One way to solve a technological problem with Oracle platform is to pay the premium and scale up the system's hardware. If financial resource is not an issue, this is quickest and simplest way out most of time.

Oracle review by Administrator

"Oracle Database 12c review"

What do you like best?

The performance is much better than previous versions like Oracle 10g/11g. Advanced functionalities also available for PL/SQL queries. Clustered database, RAC, ASM features available.

What do you dislike?

Active support group is not available. You have to rely on DBA community forums incase of issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have an active support group!

I worked as a database administrator and used to perform cloud migrations for clients across different industries.

Oracle review by Mehmet James B.
Mehmet James B.

"Power of Oracle"

What do you like best?

Oracle is one of the strongest database suit ever in the market. It is reliable, super fast, and perfect for corporate integrations.

What do you dislike?

Its maintenance is harder than other systems, it requires expertise.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With cloud integration I guess it will be much easier to manage Oracle Servers

We have done many things from ad-hoc reporting to ETL processed using PL/SQL scripts and procedures.

Oracle review by Boris P.
Boris P.

"Database manager workhorse for everyday usage"

What do you like best?

So far the best database I have seen. It's relatively easy to use, has great connectors to different programming and deployment platforms and it can perform the weirdest ideas.

What do you dislike?

There's no easy and automated way of installing it on CentOS using scripts not assisted by humans.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go on, use it. Being so popular ensures having tons of material online plus people are willing to help on stackoverflow or generally on internet.

Analytical functions are great for hierarchical data and graphs. Robust table partitioning for large data sets.

Oracle review by Nitin M.
Nitin M.

"A great database to work with!"

What do you like best?

I worked on many databases , like Teradata, DB2, IMS, IDMS but Oracle is far much better than the others. Oracle is in sync with the modern technologies including JavaScript etc. It is flexible and strong too.

What do you dislike?

Oracle is expensive and is little complex.

We are building a separate data warehouse, the fact and dimensional model which helps in creating business reports.

Oracle review by Natarajan V.
Natarajan V.

"Oracle_DB review"

What do you like best?

We had oracle upgrade from 11g and it was easy and flexible.

What do you dislike?

Not applicable. I have not seen any failures as such

Processing millions of records. Indexing and big table caching is good. Performance is better.

Oracle review by Raghu K.
Raghu K.

"Zero data loss appliance"

What do you like best?

The new way that oracle do backups, how it guarantees the recoverability and the performance improvement.

What do you dislike?

As a normal process, it will take long time to be wide used for many companies and I hope I can help with this.

The framework application that my company uses make use of the new features and also help us to get updated specially when we have a big bunch of systems to take care.

Oracle review by Ashokkumar B.
Ashokkumar B.

"Oracle 12C review"

What do you like best?

easy to use and having many build in features so that beginners also easy to use.

What do you dislike?

As of now nothing. i am expecting keep on improvement from them

Recommendations to others considering the product

Friends please use this. it will reduce your effort and reduce time consuming

i am able to build complex queries and functions without much effort so it is reducing my time.

Oracle review by Abhishek D.
Abhishek D.

"Oracle 12 C is the most advanced and upgraded database we have in today's world"

What do you like best?

The new functions and features available are more useful then ever.

What do you dislike?

Installation time and the space it takes .

We are in to EBS and our daily customer needs are addressed at Gap Inc

Oracle review by Administrator in Aviation & Aerospace
Administrator in Aviation & Aerospace

"Expensive, Difficult, Powerful"

What do you like best?

Oracle is the gold standard for RDMS systems in the enterprise. It provides excellent reliability, redundancy and speed.

What do you dislike?

It's complex and best managed via a somewhat archaic text based interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best product in the world for rdbms. That quality comes at the cost of complexity and cost.

Disaster site synchronicity. Failover systems for systems requiring high uptime.

Oracle review by Internal Consultant in Higher Education
Internal Consultant in Higher Education

"Oracle RDBMS"

What do you like best?

very good RDBMS engine, fastest, user-friendly. high performance, High availability with RAC.

The architecture is very good and open for all. great customer support on oracle support

What do you dislike?

Nothing As such. it's really great product. from Oracle.

it comes with great cost

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its very good RDBMS software for OLTP environment . and great custome support . with featurs like

advance index compression

export

import

rman

tde

to run application specially in domain of high OLTP environment. also provide high availibility as well as security like TDE, data redaction

Oracle review by Executive Sponsor in Pharmaceuticals
Executive Sponsor in Pharmaceuticals

"Very stable database. Great security. Very powerful optimizer for tuned queries"

What do you like best?

Easy database maintenance. High availability. Great for mission critical production databases

What do you dislike?

Cost structure. Oracle locks you in and limits your ability to negotiate

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great relational database if you need a transaction database system

We moved several SQL Server database to Oracle 12C after they had performance issues. We quickly got past those performance issues once we moved to Oracle.

Oracle review by Bert S.
Bert S.

"yet another milestone release of a world class database"

What do you like best?

the new features such as multi-tenant (pluggable databases) radically changes the architectural model such that it competes now more with Microsoft SQL Server and can scale much higher per server.

What do you dislike?

oracle database has become huge and no one person can master the whole database anymore - you must specialize or pick areas to become expert on. in addition the database has a very large footprint both in terms of install and memory usage - both of which are less of an issue these days with cheap memory and disk - but sometimes forces earlier hardware upgrades

we use oracle to store our own applications' data as well as the data for third party applications

Oracle review by Vickie Z.
Vickie Z.

"Pretty good tool to carry a lot of information and data"

What do you like best?

I like that the system is very secure and can store a lot of information.

What do you dislike?

That you can only use it with internet explorer and it’s hard to switch in between applications outside of Oracle with ease.

We use it so look at invoices and activity related to POs and vendors through the months. It helps us understand activity on a transactional basis.

Oracle review by Harshil S.
Harshil S.

"Oracle 12c for SAP applications "

What do you like best?

We are using oracle 12c for one of SAP Java based system and it’s very easy to manage. Most importantly it’s support 12.0.1.0 for SAP application and still orasid user not obsolete for this version.

What do you dislike?

Difficult to troubleshoot when some unknown error occurred as very few solutions available on google.

Restored POC applications which we are using for our test application.

"Oracle 12c"

What do you like best?

escalabilidad, estabilidad, disponibilidad y rendimiento

What do you dislike?

si bien la relación precio/calidad es muy buena, el costo puede ser un obstáculo para ciertas Compañías

Recommendations to others considering the product

no dudar si se busca una base de datos de misión crítica

el negocio tiene una plataforma de misión crítica que asegura uptime y SLAs elevados, en una WAN demandante y con numerosas conexiones a internet

Oracle review by Antonio Jesus R.
Antonio Jesus R.

"Best database manager for business"

What do you like best?

Most stable dbm, great throughput and performance, most standard dbm for developers

What do you dislike?

Mayte the quantity of resources Needed, exclusive hosts to run it

Recommendations to others considering the product

Performance and stability

Oracle 12c holds our critical databases 24x7 and without incidents. If there are any problema Oracle support ver rid of it in minutes

Oracle review by User in Higher Education

"Oracle 12c is reliable and has many online resources for help"

What do you like best?

Reliability is great. Oracle is used around the world and therefore has many online forums available for help.

What do you dislike?

I use many different database environments and there are some features in other databases that would be nice to have in this that would make some tasks easier.

My employer uses this as the main database for all records.

Oracle review by Ken C.
Ken C.

"Powerful RDBMS "

What do you like best?

Powerful SQL joining capability and stability. Extensive build-in functions provided to facilitate many operations

What do you dislike?

I think the expensive price and non-opensource nature, making it depending on official support which might not be easy to troubleshoot & fix issues especially encountering their own bugs.

We use oracle to power our ocean logistics data management and operation.

Oracle review by Amit G.
Amit G.

"Excellent technology but confusing licensing"

What do you like best?

Robust technology soild performance. Weath of knowledge and excellent support.

What do you dislike?

Licensing so confusing. Never sure what options we can use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think it through carefully. Cloud or no cloud. For simplicity see if you can get away with open source or SQL server first.

Data storage and retrieval.

Oracle review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Most reboust datahbase application"

What do you like best?

it is scalable database application with advance security feature to mitigate hacking and software mimic

What do you dislike?

you need a lot of knowledge know to know how to go about it.often expects in the filed. it is very expensive in software and support

Recommendations to others considering the product

property manage system software PMS for database and interface with other aaplication

Oracle review by Sean S.
Sean S.

"New features and capabilities add up to the best Oracle version yet. "

What do you like best?

There are a lot of things to like about 12c. In no particular order:

In-Memory Database Option: This is a paid option but it essentially allows you to run your RDBMS as a dual relational/columnar database.

Multitenant: Now, instead of having multiple sets of metadata and processes being used by each instance on a machine, container databases use a single set of administrative processes for each installation.

Analytic Capabilities: Too many to list here, but lots of powerful additions to the SQL language, including modeling and pattern matching.

HA Features: Application continuity is a great addition to making HA architectures much more flexible, as is Data Guard Far Sync.

Compression: Oracle can compress your data on disk by rules you set based on how frequently the data is accessed. Think of it as partitioned compression.

Data Redaction: New abilities to mask data in a dynamic way so that only authorized users and applications can see certain sensitive data. Great if you're moving to the cloud.

What do you dislike?

Oracle Support is the weak point in their offering. It's great on the OS and Hardware side, but getting an answer from Oracle Support for database issues can be a real trial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that if you're not licensing the In-Memory feature to be sure that it is disabled. It comes partly enabled by default and could result in a licensing issue if you're ever audited.

We're able to reduce hardware costs by colocating and coalescing previously separate, dedicated database instances into fewer stacks. The addition of new analytic functions means that we're less reliant on NoSQL solutions for reporting and can even connect directly to Hadoop and MongoDB to work with data in other silos.

Oracle review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great Experience"

What do you like best?

That I could view all company HR information such as time logins, paycheques, available jobs etc. Also very simple system to use.

What do you dislike?

There wasn't anything to dislike as it was a tool to support the work that was being done and it was easy to use and convenient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not sure.

You can view how many people are hired in each department, how many more are needed (from an HR perspective) and a graphical representation how many departments are lacking in terms of manpower.

Oracle review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"The latest generation cloud database"

What do you like best?

It automates data services on the cloud, storage management on cloud, secure, faster and cost saving. It provides high availability and performance, automatic data optimization and real time data analysis.

What do you dislike?

At this point, i have no dislije about this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its the best database for cloud application.

We can manage a bulk amount of data with this database at a faster speed on cloud asI was working with banking sector so it kerps data secured and provide real time analytics which can help us to keep application online all the time.

Oracle review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"True cloud based database "

What do you like best?

new capabilities like database consolidation, query optimization, performance tuning, high availability, partitioning, backup and recovery

What do you dislike?

Oracle license is cost prohibitive and installation is complex in the sense that it is incredibly complex engine that requires special skills even at the DBA level.

On many production database servers, a big portion of CPU cycles go unused. By consolidating many databases into fewer database servers, both the hardware and operational staff can be more effectively utilized. It is done very efficiently using pluggable feature of 12c with seamless management.

Oracle review by John W.
John W.

"Oracle DB 12c Review"

What do you like best?

Running this Oracle DB in. Windows cluster we notice zero downtime from the database.

What do you dislike?

The DB requires large amounts of system memory, becuase the restarts take so kong this require a coordinated outage for production system.

Oracle DB place a large amount of records into a single contact DB for production use.

Oracle review by Renga J.
Renga J.

"Database at its best"

What do you like best?

Oracle database is the most complete database with lots of features and options for enterprise to use. Everything is built within the database which includes Java and R.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything which i dislike. It is the most developer friendly database I have ever used

All the custom applications were built using Oracle database.

Oracle review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Oracle being the market leader in data management "

What do you like best?

The simplicity of data querying and the security features which some database does not have.

What do you dislike?

Nothing much actually, or rather couldn't think of any now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

NA

We do run reports using the data stored on the Oracle database, compare to another database we used, this is much easier to query,

Oracle review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Feedback on Oracle Database 12C"

What do you like best?

Most of our current platform and infrastructure is moving towards cloud and we are in the process of containerizing our application and use micro services . So the seamless integration of Oracle Database 12C with Cloud platform helps us use it as the backend system without much customizations

What do you dislike?

sometimes the initial configuration is very challenging and needs a level of expertise , it should be more straight forward and easy to understand

we are trying to use Oracle 12 C as our backend system for PAAS implementation

Oracle review by User in Financial Services

"Expensive software"

What do you like best?

Standard Relational database suited for enterprise development. The problem with Oracle Database in general is the blocking nature of these databases. Under extremely high load, unless you have the right sharding techniques and data topology, this is going to be your slowest tier.

What do you dislike?

Hate the sqldeveloper which is a free suite comes with Oracle. Relational databases have a place I am not sure if they still hold the place in the modern architecture with the hosted solutions available from Amazon, Microsoft.

Enterprise development, typical CRUD applications.

Oracle review by Daniel F.
Daniel F.

"Oracle review"

What do you like best?

Easy to use for first timers. Fast and reliable.

What do you dislike?

Jams/freezes in between operations. Have to refresh when it happens and sets me back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to use and has a great support system. I think it's easy to use and a newby should be able to operate it with ease.

It stores lots of files and video that is needed for my job.

Oracle review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Good program overall with many benefits but often glitches"

What do you like best?

I like that it integrates with many other programs and software's. There also seems to be very many uses for it.

What do you dislike?

The software glitches all the time. You try to enter some information but it gives you error code. So you have to back out of that step, then go back in to get it to work.

We are using it as construction accounting and record keeping software alongside other software's. The benefits of this is having a centralized database for everything.

Oracle review by Vishal G.
Vishal G.

"REview for Oracle 12c database"

What do you like best?

In the new Oracle 12c database environment, i like the in memory component which enables us the enhance the performance of our batch cycles. The usrs are very happy after migrating from 11g to 12c

What do you dislike?

There is nothing much to dislike in Oracle 12c

Business analytics is our main use case

Oracle review by Tiago F.
Tiago F.

"Amazing Plataform"

What do you like best?

The security of the data and how easy is to manipulate things using SQL language.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there is a missunderstanding of features available in the plataform

We had a lot of troubles using JSON format in the previous version. For me personally it was the best feature included in 12C

Oracle review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Oracle is a friendly and free piece of software"

What do you like best?

That the software is easy to use, and the UI is very robust.

What do you dislike?

Setting up SQL loader and TNSnames files was quite a hassle. A wizard would be helful.

It allows easy access and manipulation of our data.

Oracle review by Manya G.
Manya G.

"Best tool by far"

What do you like best?

The ease of use it offers is amazing and is by itself a comlete tool

What do you dislike?

I don't dilike anything in particular because it is better than it's peers

I have used it to save intra organization data and analyse the results

Oracle review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"You pay for performance"

What do you like best?

Query speeds are fast and there are a lot of tools to optimize queries and processes

What do you dislike?

There are lots of optimization tools but it may not work

DBMS for high value system,, there are frequent patches and lots of configuration for different environments

Oracle review by Executive Sponsor in Building Materials
Executive Sponsor in Building Materials

"Database reliability with Oracle."

What do you like best?

I was thinking that a database requires a lot of maintenance to run correctly.

Actually, with Oracle, it is not true.

What do you dislike?

While Oracle is performant and reliable, it is expensive, specially for simple schema.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check the prices

Store relevant information and retrieve it quickly.

Oracle review by Rick B.
Rick B.

"IT Developer using Oracle as backend"

What do you like best?

Database is fast and stable most of the time

What do you dislike?

In SQL Developer, it is hard to terminate queries.

SQL Developer syntax errors are not specific enough

We use it as the backend for our Guidewire Insurance product

"best database ever"

What do you like best?

Oracle is fastes database engine used worldwide. this RDBMS can be used on different platforms

the performance is so fast if you are retrieving a record or a 1 million record you will have the same speed of return results , auditing and security are amazing features .

What do you dislike?

price. prices should be less so people can consider oracle database

Recommendations to others considering the product

use it now dont delay

we are using it as our erp system backbone

Oracle review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Most powerful relational database"

What do you like best?

Excellent performance. Feature rich. Good documentation. Many tuning options.

What do you dislike?

Tuning can be complicated. Explain plans have a learning curve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy this for large DBs where performance is critical.

We use Oracle 12c for most of our applications. It works for both OLTP and data warehousing.

Oracle review by Saurabh S.
Saurabh S.

"Worked in Oracle for more than 15 years"

What do you like best?

Robustness of the database, ease of writing code in PL/SQL. Interaction with the data for a developer

What do you dislike?

There is nothing much I dislike about Oracle 12c

Recommendations to others considering the product

None

We are writing PL/SQL code for business users.

Oracle review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Tooooo expensive"

What do you like best?

Al the advanced functionalities like golden gate, datagard, streams.

What do you dislike?

The price, is too expensive and sometimes que cannot seel our products with oracle database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always look a the pricing table before taking any decision.

Data storage, data redundancy , data replication.

Oracle review by Aravind C.
Aravind C.

"I’m an Oracle Database programmer"

What do you like best?

It’s a very robust database. Midsize to large scale companies use this database primarily for storing data

What do you dislike?

I wish their cloud version is as Robuyas their on-premise one.

We use it primarily for Oracle EBS

Learning about Oracle Database 12c?

* We monitor all Oracle Database 12c reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Oracle Database 12c to Similar Solutions