osCommerce

2.4

We provide you the tools to set up your very own complete and self-hosted online store website for free to market and securely sell products and services to customers worldwide.

Work for osCommerce?

Learning about osCommerce?

osCommerce Reviews

Ask osCommerce a Question
Showing 5 osCommerce reviews
osCommerce review by James B.
James B.

"Not bad for something Free"

What do you like best?

It is quite quick to setup if you have experience using the system and there are a lot of features out of the box are useful

What do you dislike?

You need to understand coding to make any small styling of the pages. Version 3 was meant to come up years ago but version 2.3.4.1 is the latest production. The out of the box design is dated. If you want shipping or something a little more like woocommerce you have to allow a lot of time to develop it. The folder structure server side is over complex and you need to fully understand the template structure. I had to buy a book to find what does what.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a lot better free off the shelf e-commerce platforms. Its good product if your looking to develop a quick and easy shop with no advanced functionality. I would say that this would be for a beginner or a very small website which your not expecting to do much admin or have a small amount of products. One thing you need to be very careful. When you upgrade to new versions you can't skip versions you have to go one upgrade at a time.

I created a pretty cool trophy selling website with the ability to have engraving and related products but took months to develop. Rather than doing this in Woocommerce which would have been a lot quicker.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about osCommerce
osCommerce review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"It's a decent cart, but that is it."

What do you like best?

Some of the features I enjoy about OsCommerce is that this platform is very easy to use and it's very straightforward. The UX interface is extremely outdated which may be easier for the older generation to maneuver around. I enjoy how the packing slip and invoice can be easily printed out from the order. It is also low cost to fit our budget to our subsidiary websites.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how oscommerce does not have sales optimization tools or any reporting tools.

The product line and category is extremely difficult to maintain and sometimes the product photo disappears away from the listing. The website is way too outdated and needs a new ux interface that is more user friendly.

I also dislike how I cannot search my products with my own SKU numbers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I only recommend this platform as a very low budget plain cart. It is an extremely outdated platform so it may be easy to maneuver around but it is very inefficient in terms of product uploads and maintenance.

We use this software to host one of our sibling websites. This is a low cost option but there is no way to track and optimize the performance on oscommerce. It is very very simple so it is easy to train new employees on this platform.

What E-Commerce Platforms solution do you use?

osCommerce review by User in Wholesale
User in Wholesale

"OsCommerce is good as a shopping cart only "

What do you like best?

I do like how oscommerce is very straight forward and it is relatively easy to learn. I do enjoy how the packing slip and the invoice is already completed for the user to just print it right away. It is also easy to attach an tracking number because everything is on the same page.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the user inter phase is extremely outdated compared to other ecommerce tools. The product images sometimes do not load correctly so I frequently have to resubmit the product images.

It is difficult to locate SKU numbers from the inventory in the back end so I have to get into the correct category to find the sku numbers so I can edit them.

There is no analytic tools like other ecommerce websites which is unfortunate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a low budget ecommerce shopping cart only option for smaller businesses. But I recommend a better shopping cart option because osCommerce doesn't offer any post analytics or good marketing implementation which is crucial to keep up with the online competitors.

OsCommerce is good just as a shopping cart only. It is a more low budget shopping cart that is used to host our sister company. The benefits I have realized is that I really appreciate the other ecommerce websites we use for our other websites.

osCommerce review by Enzo C.
Enzo C.

"Un grande pilastro nel mondo dell'ecommerce!"

What do you like best?

Oscommerce è stato almeno per me la base per entrare nel mondo dell'ecommerce. Ho iniziato oltre 10 anni fa con oscommerce dalle prime versioni. Con oscommerce ho imparato bene anche il php ed è stato un bene per me! Adoro di oscommerce la sezione forum e addon. La comunity è molto attiva e permete di avere tantissimi addon a costo zero o molto basso!

What do you dislike?

Definisco oscommerce un programma storico per l'ecommerce. Rispetto agli altri CMS richiede più conoscenza di programmazione e di php / html. Lo raccomando più a qualcuno che ha almeno una leggera infarinatura di linguaggi di programmazione!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si ne raccomando l'utilizzo! Ma confrontate bene i vari sistemi e cosa vi offrono!

Ad un costo davvero ridotto è possibile con oscommerce entrare a far parte del mondo dell' ecommerce. Per la personalizzazione oscommerce non ha rivali. Come ho detto nel campo qui sopra richiede una leggera conoscenza di php / html e proprio per questo offre una grandissima possibilita' di personalizzare i contenuti. Vi faccio un piccolo esempio per farvi capire. Se nella pagina sulle modalita' di spedizione volete aggiungere una breve informazione o un campo di note con oscommerce questo sara' più facile: basta aprire il file php relativo a quella pagina ed editarlo a proprio piacere! Lo stesso per questo riguarda la scheda ordini. Dopo vari anni di personalizzazioni da parte mia ammetto che ha perso l'aspetto originario della versione base ma questo è un vantaggio in quanto è più adattabile alle proprie esigenze!

osCommerce review by Juan A.
Juan A.

"Eight years of building E-commerce solutions with osCommerce"

What do you like best?

osCommerce is easy to deploy and easy to use to the final user

What do you dislike?

The code base is a mess. It needs a deep refactor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it if you are looking for a very light solution.

For what is in sake, it just works for simple shops. If you don't have big needs it may suit you.

Learning about osCommerce?

* We monitor all osCommerce reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.