OutSystems

The #1 low-code platform for digital transformation - build mobile apps, web portals, mission-critical systems, and more.

Work for OutSystems?

Learning about OutSystems?

OutSystems Reviews

Ask OutSystems a Question
Showing 104 OutSystems reviews
OutSystems review by <span>Nuno R.</span>
Nuno R.

The stuff that dreams are made of

What do you like best?

The first great thing about OutSystems Agile Platform is that it make everything easy. By removing the standard-but-trickier part of all websites/apps, it allows the development team to focus on the real issues. And instead of watching pages and pages of code, there are modular blocks of operation that are quite easy to understand, but anyone can add the old-fashioned code if they like or have to.

The second best part is that OutSystems controls its product like few companies do, and offers bootcamps and a single online community so that everyone can start working by the book and reach all the pros in no time. You can do it on your own to start, or you can jump into the the professional version and see architecture recomendations, design and usability, server performance and everything else.

No need for any particular set of skills to do a full stack application. It can be a one person job, or a full team working on the product. As long as they follow the Agile methodology, the final product can't go wrong.

What do you dislike?

After working in OutSystems is hard to go back to other tools, and that includes doing extensions (C#/Java) to connect Agile Platform to external libraries.

And while debugging the native quality rules (like the use of transactions) may cause problems to developers not used to good code. It takes a while to correct bad habits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can give it a try online and free. That will be enough to convince most of the non-believers.

By working in the fast moving consumer goods, the issues are diverse. We solved problems of Human Resources, Sales, Marketing, Quality, Logistics... Most applications are for internal use, but they are business critical and the business is very flexible (and applies to several countries). We are having the best time to market ever.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about OutSystems
OutSystems review by <span>João M.</span>
João M.

Focus on Business needs

What do you like best?

The power key business users and product owners have to evaluate new strategies by having powerfull solutions ready very quickly instead of strugling with endless projects. The built-in UI and components are very helpfull.

What do you dislike?

One must be very carefully when engaging a big developers team. Having many developers competing when publishing their last changes to the "code" sometimes can be a painfull process. As the platform's development modus operandi relies strongly on heavy files being transfered over the internet (for cloud based projects), merging and deploying tasks can be a challenge.

That's why it's so important to have in the team someone with expertise in software development processes and software architecture.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask for a PoC with one of OS expert guys. It will surely be surprising

I've rolled out some strategic projects in just a couple of weeks, re-written legacy systems with huge client satisfaction and guided developers on very short learning curve experiences in the most diversified teams.

What Low-Code Development Platforms solution do you use?

OutSystems review by <span>Hanno C.</span>
Hanno C.

Low-coding it

What do you like best?

The intuitiveness of the IDE is very good and new developers can easily catch on. I also like the cost of change that is very low - this is important in industries where change is at the order of the day.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the licensing model and pricing structure. I believe OutSystems can be more flexible in this regard. I also dislike the version control system as it is sometimes inadequate or cumbersome for larger teams working on the same projects

Automation of mundane tasks frees up human resources that can be applied to other areas of the business where more humans are needed.

OutSystems review by <span>Bruce B.</span>
Bruce B.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Top-6 Low-Code shootout winner

What do you like best?

SPEED! ... of development, agile cycle times, and app run-time performance is ground breaking.

UX! ... the quality of the SilkUI is awesome!

DEBUGGER! ... is simply the best I have ever seen! I find errors in my LOGIC super fast!

What do you dislike?

Honestly, the big reason why I chose OutSystems for my firm is because I've not found anything that I truly DISLIKE. Trust me, that is hard to believe. I know, I can't believe I am saying this. For 25+ years as a technology leader, I've waiting for such a platform. It's now REAL.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Kick the tires in the FREE "Personal Environment" ... it is the perfect test.

I am starting TWO new companies at the same time. The ease of re-use across the two companies has been incredible. We are building B2B and B2C apps for the employee benefits and healthcare finance markets.

I'm also building apps for internal sales, marketing, and ops teams.

OutSystems review by <span>Sameer J.</span>
Sameer J.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Easy adoption+quick results+good support - what's not to like!?

What do you like best?

-Low learning curve, which leads to easy adoption for developers and "pseudo-developers" alike.

-We have found that we no longer do paper-prototypes since its easier to prototype on the Outsystems platform and let it take shape as the end product.

-Platform-approach to administration of dozens of low/medium complexity applications pays dividends

-Pretty robust integration functionality to expose functionality as APIs real easily as well as consume external data

-Outsystems perfectly complemented our journey towards 100% Agile and SCRUM adoption.

-After the initial investment in training and base setup, results come at record rate.

What do you dislike?

-Be prepared to give up some control of the infrastructure when you go with the Cloud hosted model (they do offer an on-premise model as well). This is typical of most PaaS solutions.

-Change Management has room for improvement but we hear the latest version of the platform did improve in this area a bit.

-Support has room for improvement and timeliness is not always their forte. Again, we find this to be the case with other vendors as well.

-The Forge (the marketplace for trying out functionality contributed by other users or Outsystems) has much more potential than is currently realized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good idea to find your development patterns within your enterprise.

- We are no longer reinventing the wheel. We reuse functionality that was already developed for one application in other applications. This was our main use case.

- We have found ourselves to be active practitioners of RAD concepts like Rapid prototyping and following the critical path.

- We are able to develop our own "add-ons" or "extensions" within the platform to make it do more.

OutSystems review by <span>Cory C.</span>
Cory C.

Great platform for beginners and experts

What do you like best?

Speed of development and ease of integration with existing platforms. As someone who has spent a career in IT, but never been a "developer", I was able to create a fairly complex application that seamlessly integrates with our existing databases.

True Change is pretty amazing - you make a change in one place and it corrects it in other areas of your application.

What do you dislike?

The software usage in the pricing model is a bit difficult to understand. Forecasting the software usage/consumption of a new project is not easy to do.

The support forum is a user community. While it is a great resource, if it is your only means of finding an answer to a problem it can take too long to get an answer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sign up for a personal environment and do the online tutorials.

We replaced a paper volunteer application with an online version. The time required to complete the application was reduced from days to hours. As a non-profit that needs more than 1,000 volunteers per year to staff our mission, this was a huge step forward in our recruiting process.

Learn more about OutSystems

OutSystems Videos

Learning about OutSystems?

* We monitor all OutSystems reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.