ownCloud

Software suite that provides a location-independent storage area for data (cloud storage). ownCloud can be installed on a private server at no additional cost.

Work for ownCloud?

Showing 83 ownCloud reviews
ownCloud review by <span>Saul Ivan R.</span>
Saul Ivan R.

A great Experience

What do you like best?

The easy set up a configuration for users and file sharing in general.

I also found really easy to synch and process all kinds of file regardless of the extension or size.

It was a boom just after we got it in the office and giving each of us access to a private folder, something like an in-house cloud storage kind of thing, really special for us.

What do you dislike?

The complicated way to integrate other technologies like FTP.

The documentation for the implementation of other methods like FTP is rather complicated in comparisson with other tutorials.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful in having enough space available for storage as one of our first implementations got an error on full storage and we had to make some work to add extra memory so it could handle all of our files, honestly we have not expected to use it like we did, no surprise on how the simplified design and configuration of a cloud storage server can impact on how changed our persepctivo on how far could we go using it for our internal needs as a startup seeking for new creative, innovative and private solutions to help us getting igher in our day to day work.

Having a local, private sharing storage service.

Is a lot easier to get our work in a shared zone, with an easy configuration on who can see it, who can edit it and invite other collaborators.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about ownCloud
ownCloud review by <span>Scott B.</span>
Scott B.

ownCloud works well for me.

What do you like best?

ownCloud is great as it gives me access to all the files on my server from anywhere. I have sensitive files that I don't want to put in the cloud on Google Drive or One Drive. Too easy to hack those sites but where no one knows my URL it makes it much more secure. I still use other services to store non-sensitive data as sometimes it is easier to share a document with Google Drive.

What do you dislike?

The only downside I have found is that it can be a nightmare to set up and configure.

It is also very easy to "Break" if you play with the config files. Even if you are looking at a sample file with what they claim are correct configurations. I spent a few days getting it all configured. There are a lot of settings available in the config file and the documentation isn't the greatest when it comes to setting things up correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend owncloud to anyone that is looking for a solution for accessing their files from outside their network.

Being able to access all my files from anywhere is great. I have several terabytes of files on my server, more than I could ever store with any of the cloud providers out there, at least not at a reasonable price. Once it is set up and configured it is pretty solid and does the job I need it to do.

What File Storage and Sharing solution do you use?

ownCloud review by <span>keiver f.</span>
keiver f.

software installed on the server of my work environment, and serves as a central file

What do you like best?

The most pleasant thing about Owncloud is that we can download any document that is stored there when we want it on any PC or smart phone, we can load many files in different formats creating folders in our user, I use it daily as it serves as a central file for store digital documents, its interface is very friendly, it is an excellent program.

What do you dislike?

The least favorable thing about this software is that, since it is linked to a server, if problems occur in it or it is damaged, there is a great danger that all the information will be deleted; on the other hand, it usually takes a long time the first time it is synchronized with a computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend the use of Owncloud since it is a totally free cloud storage software, its use is very simple and its space for saving files will depend on what is assigned by the administrator.

In my office, I stopped storing physical documents to save paper and opted to digitize everything, since then owncloud was used to fulfill the role of central file, and it worked wonders.

ownCloud review by <span>Tim P.</span>
Tim P.

Decent solution for small business file hosting

What do you like best?

I like the ability to share links/files/resources with clients using software and a server that control. It sends a message of greater respect for their privacy.

What do you dislike?

In the past, I have had some breakage during software upgrades. That has not been the case for the last year or so of point releases. My past use of file syncing software faced bugs and minor data confusion, haven'y used it since.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I certainly recommend considering nextCloud as an alternative to ownCloud as I know many past developers from ownCloud left the project to start nextCloud (not unlike LibreOffice vs. OpenOffice). If you are looking to use file syncing, make sure you have automatic backups scheduled and snapshotting set up first!

I have shared and distributed files to clients / prospective clients with ownCloud, fully integrated with my domain.

ownCloud review by <span>Marie G.</span>
Marie G.

Easy to use, simple and evolutive

What do you like best?

The UI is very well designed ans esay to use. You do not need to read a manual to understand how it works. You can store your documents for you but also share them with another user or with a public link. Also, you can set a password.

Another interestinf feature is that you can add comments to your files. They are pretty usefull if you want to add revision"s notes.

What do you dislike?

The printing function from the PDF viewer does not work well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you start to use OwnCloud, it ecomes essential. Now I use it both for profesionnal and private.

I always have access to my document and I can easily share them.

ownCloud review by <span>Jonathan R.</span>
Jonathan R.

Good for its time

What do you like best?

I am all about decentralization and security. I think ownCloud is a fantastic platform for providing your users a secure place to host your own intranet files or some sort of collaboration service. I really liked the ability to collaborate with other ownCloud installs and send links that had downloadable content.

What do you dislike?

- The live markdown editor is not styled and is somewhat ugly and hard to work with

- I had huge issues upgrading (encryption keys didn't carry over, migrations failed, etc.)

- The cross-browser compatibility had some issues which caused me to use it only in Chrome

- It's difficult to know who has access to what when you have a large library of files and users

Recommendations to others considering the product

It appears that a vast community of ownCloud developers went and started their own cloud software that seems to be more progressive in its technology. ownCloud seems to have had its time, but not sure it will be the platform of the future.

We were trying to create communities that can share things privately. This required a space that fit security requirements and could be hosted onsite. The platform is a great step in that direction, but there are other better options IMO.

Learning about ownCloud?

* We monitor all ownCloud reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.