ownCloud

Software suite that provides a location-independent storage area for data (cloud storage). ownCloud can be installed on a private server at no additional cost.

Work for ownCloud?

ownCloud review by <span>Saul Ivan R.</span>
Saul Ivan R.

A great Experience

Validated Review
What do you like best?

The easy set up a configuration for users and file sharing in general.

I also found really easy to synch and process all kinds of file regardless of the extension or size.

It was a boom just after we got it in the office and giving each of us access to a private folder, something like an in-house cloud storage kind of thing, really special for us.

What do you dislike?

The complicated way to integrate other technologies like FTP.

The documentation for the implementation of other methods like FTP is rather complicated in comparisson with other tutorials.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful in having enough space available for storage as one of our first implementations got an error on full storage and we had to make some work to add extra memory so it could handle all of our files, honestly we have not expected to use it like we did, no surprise on how the simplified design and configuration of a cloud storage server can impact on how changed our persepctivo on how far could we go using it for our internal needs as a startup seeking for new creative, innovative and private solutions to help us getting igher in our day to day work.

Having a local, private sharing storage service.

Is a lot easier to get our work in a shared zone, with an easy configuration on who can see it, who can edit it and invite other collaborators.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about ownCloud
ownCloud review by <span>Scott B.</span>
Scott B.
Validated Review

ownCloud works well for me.

Validated Review
What do you like best?

ownCloud is great as it gives me access to all the files on my server from anywhere. I have sensitive files that I don't want to put in the cloud on Google Drive or One Drive. Too easy to hack those sites but where no one knows my URL it makes it much more secure. I still use other services to store non-sensitive data as sometimes it is easier to share a document with Google Drive.

What do you dislike?

The only downside I have found is that it can be a nightmare to set up and configure.

It is also very easy to "Break" if you play with the config files. Even if you are looking at a sample file with what they claim are correct configurations. I spent a few days getting it all configured. There are a lot of settings available in the config file and the documentation isn't the greatest when it comes to setting things up correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend owncloud to anyone that is looking for a solution for accessing their files from outside their network.

Being able to access all my files from anywhere is great. I have several terabytes of files on my server, more than I could ever store with any of the cloud providers out there, at least not at a reasonable price. Once it is set up and configured it is pretty solid and does the job I need it to do.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Business Content Management solution do you use?

ownCloud review by <span>Tim P.</span>
Tim P.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

I like the ability to share links/files/resources with clients using software and a server that control. It sends a message of greater respect for their privacy.

What do you dislike?

In the past, I have had some breakage during software upgrades. That has not been the case for the last year or so of point releases. My past use of file syncing software faced bugs and minor data confusion, haven'y used it since.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I certainly recommend considering nextCloud as an alternative to ownCloud as I know many past developers from ownCloud left the project to start nextCloud (not unlike LibreOffice vs. OpenOffice). If you are looking to use file syncing, make sure you have automatic backups scheduled and snapshotting set up first!

I have shared and distributed files to clients / prospective clients with ownCloud, fully integrated with my domain.

ownCloud review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration
Validated Review
What do you like best?

The performance improvements, fixes and improvements for Mail Template Editor is very helpful. Content can be shared by defining granular read/write permissions between users and/or groups. Also, the ownCloud users can create public URLs when sharing files.

What do you dislike?

If one misses the update then its hard to install newer version and the speed slows the file sharing process. Another one is that the Arch package doesn't include the ownCloud signatures, so I can't pass the integrity check. Something interesting to note is that if I try to reinstall ownCloud using pacman, it won't let me because I altered the permission or created an error by overriding it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it and see the difference.

I use it as a weblink then attaching files, and also All cloud storage services reviewed in this topic have desktop folders for Mac’s and PC’s. This allows users to drag and drop files between the cloud storage and their local storage. The benefits are less storage is used and more data can be saved and compressed.

ownCloud review by <span>Jonathan R.</span>
Jonathan R.

Good for its time

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I am all about decentralization and security. I think ownCloud is a fantastic platform for providing your users a secure place to host your own intranet files or some sort of collaboration service. I really liked the ability to collaborate with other ownCloud installs and send links that had downloadable content.

What do you dislike?

- The live markdown editor is not styled and is somewhat ugly and hard to work with

- I had huge issues upgrading (encryption keys didn't carry over, migrations failed, etc.)

- The cross-browser compatibility had some issues which caused me to use it only in Chrome

- It's difficult to know who has access to what when you have a large library of files and users

Recommendations to others considering the product

It appears that a vast community of ownCloud developers went and started their own cloud software that seems to be more progressive in its technology. ownCloud seems to have had its time, but not sure it will be the platform of the future.

We were trying to create communities that can share things privately. This required a space that fit security requirements and could be hosted onsite. The platform is a great step in that direction, but there are other better options IMO.

ownCloud review by <span>Karl G.</span>
Karl G.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

I first ran across ownCloud when I was looking for a customizable "Google Drive™" style service. It works much like the other cloud services but you host it on your own server.

It has a very polished interface and many of the same feature-set people have come to expect from cloud-based storage services. While we haven't fully utilized the full potential of ownCloud, we foresee it allowing us to present a tighter and more professional workflow to our clients, while increasing our productivity.

What do you dislike?

While it works very well and has the features of the paid cloud drives on the market; it does take some knowhow to get operational. While I believe most people will be able to get it installed on their server without much of a learning curve. It's still not a completely automated setup.

There are also some server requirements that need to be met. I would like to see the ability to install this on a shared hosting situation (if there is I didn't find it).

I would also like to see a more customizable interface to give us a closer match to our corporate branding and identity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have the need for a private cloud file system with a long list of features and you have the necessary server requirements, I would recommend ownCloud.

We have our own private cloud system to house client files and give access to vendors.

Learning about ownCloud?

* We monitor all ownCloud reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.