ownCloud

4.0

Software suite that provides a location-independent storage area for data (cloud storage). ownCloud can be installed on a private server at no additional cost.

Work for ownCloud?

Learning about ownCloud?

ownCloud Reviews

Ask ownCloud a Question
Showing 92 ownCloud reviews
ownCloud review by Bonaventura P.
Bonaventura P.

"Get your "own-cloud""

What do you like best?

Owncloud is an open source software specially designed to create your own file storage service in the cloud. You get a similar service to Dropbox or Drive but you have the files on your own server. It also integrates other applications on the same platform, a collaborative calendar manager and a task manager.

What do you dislike?

The only negative part is that it requires an advanced configuration to be able to have the service with security guarantees. Being an open internet service, you have to be very careful with security.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Owncloud is perfect for medium or large companies that want to have their files on their own servers, without depending on third parties. The utilities that it integrates for collaborative work are very useful to increase productivity in team working.

Basically it allows us to have our files in a private cloud, with the storage that we want, because since it is hosted on our servers, we can define our own quotas.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about ownCloud
ownCloud review by Daniel Alfonzo A.
Daniel Alfonzo A.

"All your files in a private cloud, easy to use"

What do you like best?

It is very simple to install and much easier to use, you can have tur organized files in folders and share them with whoever you want.

You can indicate who can and who can not see the files.

Its interface is very simple and intuitive, nothing to envy to other commercial solutions that offer the same service. It has an app for mobile devices, which makes the user has very easy access to your cloud.

The implementation of this software is very simple and can be done in any equipment that complies with the basic characteristics to be installed.

What do you dislike?

So far I have no negative aspects to indicate

Since he has more than fulfilled his wide market helps its implementation in large quantities. Being a free software you have the freedom to do what you want with this software. The possibilities are endless.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its interface is very simple to use, it does not require to be an advanced user in infomatica.

It has application for mobile device, which facilitates its access.

It is a platform for easy installation and very easy to manage, both for the administrator and for the end user.

Being free software, it can be customized according to your preferences.

Sharing files with several users both inside and outside the company, with its versatility just to authorize users or send the link to the file or folder already authorizes the use of files.

The hierarchical structure of the users allows to establish different permissions to be able to enter and manage their files.

Now the files are in a private cloud which can be accessed from anywhere in the world that has an Internet connection.

What File Storage and Sharing solution do you use?

ownCloud review by User

"Very good alternative to comercial clouds"

What do you like best?

OwnCloud allows you to create your own cloud system to store files, manage calendars, contacts or event tasks. The best is that is opensource, and is maintained by the community.

As a difference with the commercial systems, the files that you save, will be stored in your server, while the limit of space is the amount that you want, equals with the number or users. In other words, you don't need to take care about the space that you use or the number of users that pay license.

What do you dislike?

As a negative point, just I can say that is not a closed system like Dropbox or Google Drive that you can start using without any previous consideration, in owncloud, you need an IT specialist that set the service up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best option of opensource program to make your own-cloud

It allows our organization to store the files online, been accessible from anywhere. Also the collaborative environment allows as to share files or calendars between as with any difficulty.

ownCloud review by DAVID F.
DAVID F.

"the best application to store my files."

What do you like best?

It has excellent functions which helps me keep my work in order, with my colleagues, I can synchronize all the files on different computers, it's super safe since I can encrypt the files, has online music reader, online text editor, viewer of online documents (PDF, OpenDocument), among many other functions.

What do you dislike?

In the company did not work very well ownClound, at the time of passing all the information from the PC to the cloud, several files were deleted, which more we can never see.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At this time is in maintenance in the company, but this private cloud is very good because it gives stability and security, the features and functions offered to users is of higher quality and is a cheaper service, which helps you reduce expenses to the company.

For the company, one of the benefits was to be able to share the files among the employees, without the need to use flash drives or emails to share the information, however in the company they have not had a good use, perhaps due to lack of knowledge of the program.

ownCloud review by john w.
john w.

"the right solution for tech savvy businesses to control their own file sharing, free if small scale"

What do you like best?

owncloud installation and the built-in updater make operation easy. the community edition gives more than a stripped down basic functionality, and can support daily use - so long as the user base is manageable. for instance features such as denying filetypes, ransomware and firewall protection are only for the enterprise edition which starts at over $3000. if you can enforce a small group of users to keep their machines updated and secured, you can minimize risk and run the community edition daily.

What do you dislike?

the community edition allows for banning specific files (name + extension), but denying all files of a certain type is reserved for the enterprise edition which starts at over $3000. with as large of a user base as owncloud has using the community edition, and that what gets uploaded affects all connected machines, this base functionality of banning specific file types, regardless of name - should be considered a security responsibility of the development team for the community edition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

the community edition makes it easy to try before you buy. and the community edition may serve your needs if you are not a large business, referring to points i made elsewhere in my review. You'll wish that all support communities were as quick to respond as the group behind owncloud.

have been able to make the process of getting all team members working on the same content much easier. were able to get past the limitations of other canned solutions, and control what options we wanted present in daily use. we have seen better stability with owncloud's desktop client than with other solutions. we have been pleased to find that owncloud works on shared and vps hosting packages equally well. being that many folks already use dropbox, and merging dropbox accounts can pose challenges, owncloud allows us to not interfere with existing dropbox use.

ownCloud review by Saul Ivan R.
Saul Ivan R.

"A great Experience"

What do you like best?

The easy set up a configuration for users and file sharing in general.

I also found really easy to synch and process all kinds of file regardless of the extension or size.

It was a boom just after we got it in the office and giving each of us access to a private folder, something like an in-house cloud storage kind of thing, really special for us.

What do you dislike?

The complicated way to integrate other technologies like FTP.

The documentation for the implementation of other methods like FTP is rather complicated in comparisson with other tutorials.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful in having enough space available for storage as one of our first implementations got an error on full storage and we had to make some work to add extra memory so it could handle all of our files, honestly we have not expected to use it like we did, no surprise on how the simplified design and configuration of a cloud storage server can impact on how changed our persepctivo on how far could we go using it for our internal needs as a startup seeking for new creative, innovative and private solutions to help us getting igher in our day to day work.

Having a local, private sharing storage service.

Is a lot easier to get our work in a shared zone, with an easy configuration on who can see it, who can edit it and invite other collaborators.

ownCloud review by Scott B.
Scott B.

"ownCloud works well for me."

What do you like best?

ownCloud is great as it gives me access to all the files on my server from anywhere. I have sensitive files that I don't want to put in the cloud on Google Drive or One Drive. Too easy to hack those sites but where no one knows my URL it makes it much more secure. I still use other services to store non-sensitive data as sometimes it is easier to share a document with Google Drive.

What do you dislike?

The only downside I have found is that it can be a nightmare to set up and configure.

It is also very easy to "Break" if you play with the config files. Even if you are looking at a sample file with what they claim are correct configurations. I spent a few days getting it all configured. There are a lot of settings available in the config file and the documentation isn't the greatest when it comes to setting things up correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend owncloud to anyone that is looking for a solution for accessing their files from outside their network.

Being able to access all my files from anywhere is great. I have several terabytes of files on my server, more than I could ever store with any of the cloud providers out there, at least not at a reasonable price. Once it is set up and configured it is pretty solid and does the job I need it to do.

ownCloud review by Anthony F.
Anthony F.

"Simplifies specific tasks of the company and streamlines work."

What do you like best?

It has a quick installation and configuration; does not require special permits. It allows extending its functionality with a multitude of applications. It is a Software that has improved a lot with the passage of time. In addition, the synchronization is as simple and direct as in Dropbox and the number of applications it has incorporated for its use is enormous. You can add all the users you want in minutes; It can be installed locally as well as on the server. OwnCloud for Microsoft Azure is also available, with a template provided by the company Bitnami. Users can create groups to facilitate the sharing of files to a specific group of users, but also can limit access to shared content selectively (remove, modify, create, share). Finally we have the free option which allows you to test this Software and analyze if it is appropriate to the needs of the company.

What do you dislike?

An aspect that generates difficulty to implement this Software may be that enjoying OwnCloud on its own server with all the guarantees is not within the reach of many. But it is a platform that is constantly updated and incorporates more and more aspects that are identified with the needs of users. It is a quite safe and reliable platform. Despite this, due to the constant demand for improvement is certain elements of the Software, the developers of the initial project launched NextCloud which is considered as a much more stable option. The recommendation that would make anyone interested in using OwnCloud without the necessary knowledge to install it himself would be to try it first through one of the existing providers and thus assess whether it meets perfectly with your needs, or that it does not arrive to cover them. I, for one, use it every day and, however, I do not dare to do without my usual tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With OwnCloud I have had a good working relationship because it allows us universal access to our files. This platform allows us to easily visualize and personalize our contacts, calendars and bookmarks on our devices.

For our company it is particularly important to have a link with our information that is simple and secure; that it simplifies concrete tasks of our work and that it reduces the time and cost of its execution. OwnCloud has allowed me to organize and control data and resources that I use daily to develop my work, as in many other departments of the company.

ownCloud review by keiver f.
keiver f.

"software installed on the server of my work environment, and serves as a central file "

What do you like best?

The most pleasant thing about Owncloud is that we can download any document that is stored there when we want it on any PC or smart phone, we can load many files in different formats creating folders in our user, I use it daily as it serves as a central file for store digital documents, its interface is very friendly, it is an excellent program.

What do you dislike?

The least favorable thing about this software is that, since it is linked to a server, if problems occur in it or it is damaged, there is a great danger that all the information will be deleted; on the other hand, it usually takes a long time the first time it is synchronized with a computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend the use of Owncloud since it is a totally free cloud storage software, its use is very simple and its space for saving files will depend on what is assigned by the administrator.

In my office, I stopped storing physical documents to save paper and opted to digitize everything, since then owncloud was used to fulfill the role of central file, and it worked wonders.

ownCloud review by Tim P.
Tim P.

"Decent solution for small business file hosting"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to share links/files/resources with clients using software and a server that control. It sends a message of greater respect for their privacy.

What do you dislike?

In the past, I have had some breakage during software upgrades. That has not been the case for the last year or so of point releases. My past use of file syncing software faced bugs and minor data confusion, haven'y used it since.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I certainly recommend considering nextCloud as an alternative to ownCloud as I know many past developers from ownCloud left the project to start nextCloud (not unlike LibreOffice vs. OpenOffice). If you are looking to use file syncing, make sure you have automatic backups scheduled and snapshotting set up first!

I have shared and distributed files to clients / prospective clients with ownCloud, fully integrated with my domain.

ownCloud review by Marie G.
Marie G.

"Easy to use, simple and evolutive"

What do you like best?

The UI is very well designed ans esay to use. You do not need to read a manual to understand how it works. You can store your documents for you but also share them with another user or with a public link. Also, you can set a password.

Another interestinf feature is that you can add comments to your files. They are pretty usefull if you want to add revision"s notes.

What do you dislike?

The printing function from the PDF viewer does not work well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you start to use OwnCloud, it ecomes essential. Now I use it both for profesionnal and private.

I always have access to my document and I can easily share them.

ownCloud review by Jonathan R.
Jonathan R.

"Good for its time"

What do you like best?

I am all about decentralization and security. I think ownCloud is a fantastic platform for providing your users a secure place to host your own intranet files or some sort of collaboration service. I really liked the ability to collaborate with other ownCloud installs and send links that had downloadable content.

What do you dislike?

- The live markdown editor is not styled and is somewhat ugly and hard to work with

- I had huge issues upgrading (encryption keys didn't carry over, migrations failed, etc.)

- The cross-browser compatibility had some issues which caused me to use it only in Chrome

- It's difficult to know who has access to what when you have a large library of files and users

Recommendations to others considering the product

It appears that a vast community of ownCloud developers went and started their own cloud software that seems to be more progressive in its technology. ownCloud seems to have had its time, but not sure it will be the platform of the future.

We were trying to create communities that can share things privately. This required a space that fit security requirements and could be hosted onsite. The platform is a great step in that direction, but there are other better options IMO.

ownCloud review by Karl G.
Karl G.

"A great private cloud service for your business."

What do you like best?

I first ran across ownCloud when I was looking for a customizable "Google Drive™" style service. It works much like the other cloud services but you host it on your own server.

It has a very polished interface and many of the same feature-set people have come to expect from cloud-based storage services. While we haven't fully utilized the full potential of ownCloud, we foresee it allowing us to present a tighter and more professional workflow to our clients, while increasing our productivity.

What do you dislike?

While it works very well and has the features of the paid cloud drives on the market; it does take some knowhow to get operational. While I believe most people will be able to get it installed on their server without much of a learning curve. It's still not a completely automated setup.

There are also some server requirements that need to be met. I would like to see the ability to install this on a shared hosting situation (if there is I didn't find it).

I would also like to see a more customizable interface to give us a closer match to our corporate branding and identity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have the need for a private cloud file system with a long list of features and you have the necessary server requirements, I would recommend ownCloud.

We have our own private cloud system to house client files and give access to vendors.

ownCloud review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"ownCloud - Great for Remote Working"

What do you like best?

Platform is easy to use (both shared folder and archiving options) and navigate, and is a great for remote working.

What do you dislike?

Some team members did have issues with the shared folder automatically syncing and it would get out of sync (wouldn't update) without them knowing causing issues with adding double files or deleting unintentionally. Sometimes the system update would cause sync issues as well. I worked on a Mac and never seemed to have issues with syncing, but one team member who was on a Windows computer, constantly had issues. Some team members also had issues accessing the online archive folder as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great option for smaller companies that have a lot of remote workers who need access to files that doesn't require emailing or sending them, and updates in live time.

We use ownCloud as a file management system, as well as a way to share files since all team members work remotely.

ownCloud review by Jesus Adolfo R.
Jesus Adolfo R.

"Good enough"

What do you like best?

Open source and free to use. I installed it on my private server and still use it to this day. It has some added functionality such as a calendar, password manager, office and also the ability to add more apps. This last one, I am yet to explore.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is buggy. At times, it will sync the folders that I explicily removed from my sync preferences. I don't know if this also happens with the enterprise edition which I have not tested.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For me, the web version works much better than the desktop (app) version.

Sharing files between coworkers. Sharing password with associates.

ownCloud review by Miguel U.
Miguel U.

"Have your own cloud in minutes!"

What do you like best?

I like how you can have you own dropbox in your server, so you are not worried that someone else can access your private files, you can add any disk space to your server and increase your account's storage size, there's a possibility to encrypt all your data, you can install extra programs to mange contacts, calendars, and more.

Also, it includes a mobile application that let me access and sync my mobile files automatically.

What do you dislike?

You have to manually update the software and there's no too much integration from 3rd party services (Because it is not popular yet).

Also, if you have encrypted files, software updates takes time because you keys have to regenerated or something like that.

Having your own cloud without any size restricitions, also it reduces prices since it's cheaper to have a big servers than paying for a plan. Also, since it runs on my own server, I know that files are secure and even encrypted so no one else can access them.

ownCloud review by Jeffrey T.
Jeffrey T.

"Great free alternative to DropBox. Reliable and easy to use."

What do you like best?

It needs very little maintenance to run, and runs seamlessly. Its a great free alternative to dropbox, if you have the local storage to spare.

What do you dislike?

While you can make multiple connections to the same server, for the purposes of syncing different folders, the labeling for those connections is not customizable (as far as I can tell)

Recommendations to others considering the product

While owncloud is great and does file versioning, make sure you set it up the way you want in the beginning because changing the configuration later is not that easy once you have people using it. Test first, and keep good backups!

Providing DropBox capability for staff without having to pay large amounts for dropbox storage. Also internal file sharing and document sharing; synchronization between desktops and laptops.

ownCloud review by Administrator

"Too fussy and difficult to use"

What do you like best?

The files that I initiated are always available on my local drive. It's handy not to have to sign into the network to get a file quickly. The security set up, allowing cross-functional teams to see files is good. It is not intuitive enough for users to manage access to files, we hand that off to our IT support people. It has solved the problem of file storage on local drives.

What do you dislike?

Own cloud does not tell you when you open a file that someone else has it open. You complete your work, and save, and THEN you find out someone else is working in the file. Conflict files all the time. A real time waster. Syncing is not immediate either. Sometimes it takes so long that we e-mail the file, defeating the purpose of shared folders.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider how often more than one person could have the same file open. It's backwards that the software does not tell you that the file is already open.

We need to have accounting files in shared folders for easy access. We no longer store word, excel or pdf files on local drives. This is a change I made when I took the position. Before that, files were stored only on local drives. In an accounting dept that relies heavily on Excel, this was time consuming. The other problem was being sure that the most up-to-date file was being used.

ownCloud review by Håvard O.
Håvard O.

"Easy"

What do you like best?

As soon as it is set up it just works and does it's job without us touching it.

What do you dislike?

Needs a bit of set-up before it is ready, so it a person with a fairly high lever of it-knowledge have to get it of the ground.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it works and if it is what you are after, then go for it. the pricing if competitive and as far as i know support system is excellent. As all cloudbased storage and file management oen does have to firt analyse what ones need is and see if it fits what one is after.

Backup for files

ownCloud review by User

"Very good alternative to Dropbox "

What do you like best?

There are two main differences between Owncloud and the rest of cloud storage applications, owncloud it's free and the data is saved in your own server.

What do you dislike?

The sharing options are limited and aren't obvious to use. Even more, in the last version of owncloud, 2.30 if I remember correctly, it's really difficult to find the option to share, it's totally hide and quite difficult to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good alternative to comercial softwares. Also includes collaborative calendars and to-do lists that it's very useful

It allows our organization to share files between as and with our clients, in safe way and with the files in our servers

ownCloud review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"ownCloud is a suite of client–server software for creating file hosting services and using them. "

What do you like best?

The performance improvements, fixes and improvements for Mail Template Editor is very helpful. Content can be shared by defining granular read/write permissions between users and/or groups. Also, the ownCloud users can create public URLs when sharing files.

What do you dislike?

If one misses the update then its hard to install newer version and the speed slows the file sharing process. Another one is that the Arch package doesn't include the ownCloud signatures, so I can't pass the integrity check. Something interesting to note is that if I try to reinstall ownCloud using pacman, it won't let me because I altered the permission or created an error by overriding it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it and see the difference.

I use it as a weblink then attaching files, and also All cloud storage services reviewed in this topic have desktop folders for Mac’s and PC’s. This allows users to drag and drop files between the cloud storage and their local storage. The benefits are less storage is used and more data can be saved and compressed.

ownCloud review by Benjamin B.
Benjamin B.

"Self-hosted alternative to Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox etc."

What do you like best?

- Free and open-source. Very actively developed and new updates are coming out very often.

- Easy to install. Just grab a spare (networked) server, VPS or even just a shared hosting account, install Apache/NGINX, PHP and MySQL, unzip and off you go.

- Privacy. Using this means that you have full control over your data rather than trusting a third-party like Google or Microsoft. OwnCloud even supports encryption of files. Enables businesses to more-easily comply with data protection laws while having the cloud convenience.

- Extendable. Lots of plugins available to integrate with OwnCloud and the ability to make your own as well of course.

- Strong user management/group functionality to share your cloud with multiple users. Ability to integrate with Active Directory and other similar products.

- Desktop sync client and mobile applications really make this feel like a complete product.

- Enterprise support available if needed.

What do you dislike?

- Performance can be pretty poor at times, especially when dealing with large amounts of files.

- Some features are still rather buggy/unfinished. It's constantly in development though so this is to be expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking to host your own alternative to Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive etc. you can't go too far wrong with OwnCloud. This is the most complete alternative in a box that I've found so far.

Ability to set-up my 'own cloud' (pardon the pun) and have full privacy and control over it.

ownCloud review by Martin M.
Martin M.

"Powerful open-source document server / sharing platform that gets better with each release"

What do you like best?

It's open source, you can install the community version on your own server or VPS without any payment and manage it by yourself, or pay the commercial version with professional support. The main feature is saving files, sharing with others in the ownCloud and outside, similar to Dropbox or GoogleDrive. The sync client got massive improvements recently so now on Windows sharing via ownCloud can be performed from Windows Explorer easily, multiple accounts can be synced simultaneously, and selective sync can be enabled. Files are easily accessible also through a mobile apps on Android or iOS. The additional features of photo gallery, CalDAV calendars and CardDAV contacts are nice and can be synced with Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning, iPhone etc.

What do you dislike?

In the past the server and client had several bugs some of them critical (data corruption / loss). The user does not care that some of these critical bugs were due to upstream libraries such as Qt, when data corruption/loss occurs it's a reason to migrate to a completely different solution that is more reliable. The reliability seem to improve much recently but still I feel as the admin that there are rough edges and each update of client and server could trigger a new bug or regression that was not discovered before release.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider other commercial options, don't go to ownCloud blindly. ownCloud is not "free", you have to spend some hours setting it up and educatiing users how to use it, and do troubleshooting when something does not work as expected.

Configure the server you run ownCloud on proplerly beforehand, check errors in logs, warnings in owncloud administration, install proper caching packages, etc.

Install only plugins you really need and that are stable enough. Consider how to deploy clients on client computers. If using other systems consider using ownCloud linked to LDAP / AD / other single-sign on. Be very careful before upgrading ownCloud server to a new major version, if using VPS consider creating a clone of the VPS and test whole upgrade process beforehand on a testing environment forked from your real installation. If using community edition subscribe to mailing lists of ownCloud and watch issues (bugs) on GitHub for new major versions before considering the upgrade.

Our whole company migrated to ownCloud file saving, sharing across devices and users from no system before (just plain email attachments). Implementing ownCloud and sharing folders such as graphics files, documents etc was therefore a huge improvement. THe collaboration by having up-to-date files improved a lot.

The ability to add dozens of users such as external and part-time workers without the need to pay for each user some license gradually compensates for the high initial installation and implementation costs, as well as debugging and communication with the developers when the critical bugs were triggered and had had to be resolved quickly.

ownCloud review by Florian M.
Florian M.

"somewhat risky adventure"

What do you like best?

The setup is easy and the interface rather intuitif.

What do you dislike?

i broke the database at least twice in 2 monthes taking huge amount of time to find and correct the effor. I found the solution not reliable enough to put it in production for my business

Recommendations to others considering the product

as soon as you switch "encryption" on, i ran in troubel several times without any obvious reason (files becoming corrupt etc)... i learned not to trust Owncloud files on the server and had always at least one full backup ready. I understand that it's normal but what is less normal is the "breaking" of files so often...

I neede the ability to share files with collegues and customers with authorization to modify (or not) and link sharing. Actually everything went fine, just the stability problem...

ownCloud review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Owncloud is highly reliable and is the best cloud solution."

What do you like best?

With owncloud, we can use the application with any cloud server, in my case i use owncloud with the company server. I did not face any issue in syncing the data or accessing the data any single time. the ability to share the files and documents with others is an added advantage, we can email the link and share with people outside the company, share directly to another person's account within the company.In owncloud, creating folders of documents and sharing them is easy. Morover, there is owncloud app on android and ios as well, we can access the data on the go.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if document viewing and editing is included in owncloud web and any option to preview files . Multiple access to files on the web through a common link and more collaboration features would be useful. there should be option of not syncing the files when on metered connection, this saves data and large files can be synced while on wifi.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its definitely recommended to use owncloud for cloud storage and sharing . Its highly reliable and improves your efficiency.

we used owncloud for sharing of documents internally and externally and cloud storage for our organisation .

ownCloud review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Easy to use cloud service"

What do you like best?

OwnCloud is easily accessible and easy to use to manage files throughout the company. Whether working from home or away on a business trip I am always able to get the files I need. The rights management works well and the interface is easy to use, looking rather similar to Google Drive.

What do you dislike?

We had a few issues with syncing, especially syncing too slowly which can sometimes be rather frustrating.

We needed a safe solution that can be accessed from anywhere and this is exactly what we got. We only use it internally which could be something to improve on.

ownCloud review by Joe C.
Joe C.

"Great for sharing work"

What do you like best?

Own cloud is a personal solution to DropBox. You can download and add it to your own server, making it look professional when sharing files with clients. Realistically OwnCloud works out cheaper than any of it's rivals if you already have a web server, as you can control how much storage you have.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is a little similar to its rivals where I feel it should have gone its own way, but this is a personal opinion, some people may like it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure that you have enough space on your web server

Using own cloud allows the easy sharing of files with my customers, such as design proofs, using my own domain name making it look much more professional.

ownCloud review by Vinicius L.
Vinicius L.

"Excellent solution to storage and share files and build your private environment"

What do you like best?

The interface has an excelent usability. The software is very easy to install and to update. You can really deploy in a few minutes. Is also possible to use several storage strategies, such as FTP, local storage, NFS, etc.

The documentation is very helpful and detailed, since installing till managing. There is also an owncloud community to help, solve doubts and to contribute to open source projects.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are some problems with file uploads, mainly if is a big file. If you have slow connection, you can also have some problems when listing files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When installing, you need to do a lot of tests to make sure that file uploads are working correctly using the web interface or client apps.

File storage for final users and content sharing among internal and external users.

ownCloud review by Henning C.
Henning C.

"Fast tool for data sharing, storage and synchronization"

What do you like best?

The unlimited space and therefore that you pay for the number of users and not for the dataspace.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the down- and upload is too slow for my opinion but overall I like the tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can recommend the tool if you need a reliable and fast way to store your data.

All our employees store their data and files with owncloud.

ownCloud review by Timothea B.
Timothea B.

"Solid cloud storage solution for self-hosting"

What do you like best?

I love that it's self-hosted, and the clients for Android, Linux, Mac, and Windows are awesome.

What do you dislike?

Frequent updates that break plugins are annoying, but otherwise nothing major.

Recommendations to others considering the product

ownCloud is great, though you should also look at nextCloud (a fork of ownCloud).

I use ownCloud for cloud storage of my backup files, it's been a great alternative to Dropbox or MEGA.

ownCloud review by Eddy R.
Eddy R.

"Excellent solution for cloud collaboration"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup and used, this open source solution is one of the best alternatives for file sharing and collaboration on the market, while being a cost effective solution since it runs on linux.

What do you dislike?

The search inside the documents is still flaky (sometimes works, sometimes it won't work). On site document editing is limited to TXT files only.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Open source solution.

Collaboration and file sharing.

ownCloud review by Administrator in Research
Administrator in Research

"Best free software for collaborative working "

What do you like best?

It's a free software, that allows you to share files and calendars very easily

What do you dislike?

The updates of the software is not enough but it's OK for a normal usage

Sharing files and calendars

ownCloud review by Sarah C.
Sarah C.

"OwnCloud for IT company"

What do you like best?

The ability to share and collaborate as well as version history of documents.

What do you dislike?

Lack of some needed alerts related to deletion or location change for folders

The ability for remote employees to work together on multiple projects. We are able to review document history to manage changes.

ownCloud review by Jakob C.
Jakob C.

"Macht genau was es soll"

What do you like best?

Es macht genau das was es soll und nichts anderes.

What do you dislike?

Ich weiß nichts über die Installation, da das von Admin Seite gemacht wird, daher kann ich dazu nichts sagen. In der Benutzerebene funktioniert es gut

Datenaustausch und Sync

ownCloud review by Samantha H.
Samantha H.

"ownCloud useful with limitations"

What do you like best?

I liked that I was easily able to store assets and allow multiple users access

What do you dislike?

Assets could be easily overwritten by mistake. We ran into issues with access disappearing or not being viable which was extremely challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Making sure that when assets are placed they are not able to be removed easily.

We were trying to use ownCloud as a way to provide access to our partners that could be easily utilized via email or other mediums.

ownCloud review by Administrator

"Easy installation, easy administration, secure, free"

What do you like best?

its free, and easy of use for administrators and for users. You can sync your desktop files and you will have backed up it.

What do you dislike?

there are funcionallitys, it have not like other storage cloud, app for android is not good

Recommendations to others considering the product

more easy for use and more easy for admin

file backup, file sharing between partners, employees, and external users. Links can be password proteected or not. And you can establish expiration date for shares

ownCloud review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"Internal-Cloud Storage - meeting our compliance needs on a budget"

What do you like best?

The base/community application has provided the necessary cloud-based file storage & sharing that our organization needed.

What do you dislike?

The step up to the Enterprise edition is costly - we enjoy the product but are struggling to find budget for the Enterprise edition. We are having trouble doing a more full scale deployment due to the missing auditing piece that comes in the Enterprise edition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Proper auditing comes as part of the Enterprise edition, we discovered this after implementation. Otherwise, the community edition is superb.

It has helped us gain control over users who were making use of their own private files sharing tools (i.e. Dropbox, Google Drive).

ownCloud review by Erin P.
Erin P.

"OwnCloud makes taking my work anywhere so easy"

What do you like best?

OwnCloud allows me to save files anywhere and anytime. I don't have to worry about finding thumb drives or emailing documents to myself. Everything is in one central location. I can even share my files with colleagues.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I have found to dislike with OwnCloud. The system is very accessible and easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very easy, functional and accessible.

OwnCloud allows me to share projects with my colleagues and boss. It saves time. I can access files from anywhere.

ownCloud review by Desiree S.
Desiree S.

"Decent ftp site"

What do you like best?

We use this ftp sight for file sharing with clients when file sizes are to big fir email.

What do you dislike?

It can be a bit clunky at times. Sometimes the interface isn't

Working properly

File sharing for files that cannot be emailed

ownCloud review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Works great to transfer assets to different studios"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the simplicity. If I am at the studio and need an asset from the office, it's supper easy to have a co workers upload that asset for me.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that sometimes I have noticed issue between the application and browser.

I makes it a lot easier to pass along larger assets where before we had to use external hard drives.

ownCloud review by User in Wholesale
User in Wholesale

"Owncloud - easy web storage"

What do you like best?

Owncloud is easy to use. It is extremely useful to mount external storage into owncloud and it is great for remote working.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app needs optimisation. Also automatic synching for shared folders needs improvements since it works inaccurate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For heavy usage it is best to use the desktop client.

We use it a s file sharing system - most likely for remote access or to provide software updates.

ownCloud review by Christopher M.
Christopher M.

"OwnCloud = Control"

What do you like best?

Open source software that truly gives you full control over a file storage solution. Supports privacy and encryption with minimal effort.

What do you dislike?

Slow development changes. Open source also mean some security vulnerability.

Private file storage for applications in development. Additonally, distribution of software and files our company uses.

ownCloud review by User in Computer Software

"Simple, but somewhat outdated file sharing product"

What do you like best?

ownCloud is simple and straightforward, reminiscent of old Sharepoint days.

What do you dislike?

No live, in-document collaboration. Needing to check-in/check-out files. A top-down reliance on IT to allocate memory to each user, as well as what seems like a top-down approach to folder security.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for file ARCHIVING, then perhaps ownCloud would be a great option. But if you're accustomed to file archiving WITH collaboration and the freedom to share and secure your files/folders however you like, then consider using Google Cloud. Google Cloud, IMHO, has better features and at a better price point.

File archiving

ownCloud review by Nicole N.
Nicole N.

"Easy access and use"

What do you like best?

I like that larger files can be uploaded into the Cloud rather than zipped and sent in an email or multiple emails.

What do you dislike?

No problems so far with it. Sometimes the app does run slowly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good alternative to Google Docs as storage.

Ease of communication with co-workers and reps and ability to view extremely large documents with ease.

ownCloud review by Kathleen A.
Kathleen A.

"Convenient, but has bugs"

What do you like best?

I like that I can search for a file in the entire database.

What do you dislike?

All of our files are saved as duplicates. Every file has a version that is un-openable. Also when you search and then go back it automatically takes you back to the homepage.

We have two offices in different countries, so it is easy for us to find files between offices.

ownCloud review by Jeremy K.
Jeremy K.

"Self-hosted File Server"

What do you like best?

I that it provides the control of self-hosting, without sacrificing functionality.

What do you dislike?

I had a security breach over a year ago. The problem has been resolved in a later version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Also take a look at Nextcloud too.

We are hosting our own file server in-house. We have also deployed the software on servers for a few other customers.

ownCloud review by Carlos F.
Carlos F.

"Robust and efficient"

What do you like best?

It is a good software to have a online repository to your own files

What do you dislike?

The possibility to block some clients to delete or update the files

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful if someone dele a file. It is better to preserve a daily backup in another server

We use it to see online the company files. Also We backup the owncloud files in another server

ownCloud review by Etienne B.
Etienne B.

"Works well, but isn't fast"

What do you like best?

It's easy to setup, and has a client for Linux and Android (and more, but I just use these).

Has a lot of plugins.

Desktop-client is not noticeably slow.

What do you dislike?

Vagueness between Community Edition and Enterprise Edition.

The (web-)interface is very slow (and I have put serious efforts into making it faster). This is in the order of 5-10 seconds for the fully loading of a single page. (a page with only 3 folders in it)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask yourself: is my server powerful enough to run ownCloud? If it's ARM-powered, than the answer is often "no".

Synchronizing data between devices, and sharing between multiple accounts.

ownCloud review by Justin M.
Justin M.

"Pretty good experience for being free"

What do you like best?

It was fairly easy to set up and to use.

What do you dislike?

One of the biggest drawbacks was that it isn't under very much current development and updates. We used it for a while but ended up switching to NextCloud for this reason.

It provides a cheap and easy way to do your own cloud hosting!

ownCloud review by Administrator

"Stability and easy access"

What do you like best?

Apps, you can develop an apps or install it easily.

At the same time there are many integration to other services and mobile and os support natively.

Respect to google or dropbox use standard protocol like webdav, caldav and carddav that are supported in many software without install anything else.

What do you dislike?

The changelog is available lately, they announce a new version without a changelog.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Choose a good hosting and check all the apps that you need

Cloud in my agency with an hosting not expensive you can have everything by owncloud and self managed.

ownCloud review by Ricardo H.
Ricardo H.

"OwnCloudRH89"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to share from multiple devices.

What do you dislike?

I haven’t had any issues to dislike with OWN.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consult IT.

I am solving availability of information and a time issue. The benefit of having everything in one location, as far as files.

ownCloud review by Jennifer T.
Jennifer T.

"Easy to use; great for sharing files"

What do you like best?

Easy to collaborate on work by sharing files. Saves all of my work in a secure location that is backed up regularly.

What do you dislike?

Can't tell easily who is sharing my folder. This has to be managed by an administrator instead of by me, the user.

work collaboration in a more secure environment.

ownCloud review by User in Computer & Network Security
User in Computer & Network Security

"File Hosting"

What do you like best?

It keeps your files secure and private and you decide where you host your data. It's extensible with new functionality to provide all you need to live your digital life.

What do you dislike?

lacks usability if used in a Windows Server environment when SMB shares need to be mapped.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's installation process is gratifyingly simple, and detailed installation instructions are provided.

Provides direct control over our personal files and access to our data - it's elegant, cross-platform interfaces; Wide range of apps to add productivity features

ownCloud review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"OwnCloud to sync my documents"

What do you like best?

I like that you can sync two folders so you can have an offline and online folder.

What do you dislike?

I dont like that sometimes when you get out of sync you have to blow away one of the directories then have it resync

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a simple solution like onedrive that you control don't hesitate to give this a try. You will not regret your decision.

We use this to have laptop users sync their my documents with their home drive on the network. This allows for them to have this offline as well for us to be able to backup their documents.

ownCloud review by bradley h.
bradley h.

"Great cloud storage!"

What do you like best?

I love how simple the UI is.

I love how easy it is to install on my server!

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything I dislike about it :)

We used to share files via FTP.

But managing the FTP users and permissons were a pain.

ownCloud review by Shalicia F.
Shalicia F.

"Best Software Ever"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it sends you reminders for meetings and the way the messages send you notifications

What do you dislike?

Theres not really anything that i dislike about this software

theres not any problems that i am required to solve. that is done through out engineers

ownCloud review by Lance D.
Lance D.

"Very dependable and accessible remotely "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that there's no true hardware to be added and allows me to remain neat and uncluttered.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the server is weak and loads slowly. I've noticed files not being locked.

Saving information is so much easier.

ownCloud review by Michelle W.
Michelle W.

"A wonderful, educational experience."

What do you like best?

I love the fact that it is very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

Hard to find something that I did not like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is user friendly. Very easy to train new employees.

Being able to easily share information., Opening up more lines for communication.

ownCloud review by Eric V.
Eric V.

"Simple to manage, does what I need"

What do you like best?

It is very simple to install and to admin. Installed in minutes

What do you dislike?

I would like to have ported on Informix to have great stability

I travel a lot. I need to access my docs from anywhere at anytime.

With Owncloud, I choose where I store my data and I can access it from anywhere

ownCloud review by User in Computer Software

"Fulfils our needs for cloud storage"

What do you like best?

There are many options for sharing levels as well as for syncing of any subfolders

What do you dislike?

Mac OS native software provided is little slow and outdated

ownCloud solves our need for storing, sharing and syncing files within the company

ownCloud review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"just as good at dropbox"

What do you like best?

I really liked the layout and design. I also liked how it automatically organized documents and files. I also liked how I could share on my own terms, which made me feel safer about using the app.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the connections were slow or full documents wouldn't send. we are hoping this doesn't happen again.

we are trying to find ways to share and manage files. I'm also trying to find something i could sue personally.

ownCloud review by User in Internet

"Top Tool for sharing files"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, fast and configurable easily with a mac in a few steps

What do you dislike?

It can be a little laggy when used from a browser

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended

Sharing files in my organization between colleagues

ownCloud review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"On-premis cloud solution is excellent"

What do you like best?

The ability to mount external storage systems and have those indexed across the board provides the ability to perform a single search also from mobiles

What do you dislike?

The mobile app needs some improvements, performance could be increased as UI sometimes sluggish.

Having multiple storage solutions in multiple places mean you have to find data in several places. Performing single searches is great.

File Syncing is first class with a lot less errors than any other product we have used.

ownCloud review by Blagovest P.
Blagovest P.

"I've been using it from the beginning of the project"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature is the possibility to share my files across all of the machines I use and my own hosted server.

What do you dislike?

The stability and security are sometimes problematic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Owncloud is a perfect software but keep one thing in mind - It's in PHP. So, update it regularly.

My biggest OwnCloud instance is with about 500+ users. The consumers are really satisfied. Especially these which are working in remote/home offices.

ownCloud review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"great to be cheap"

What do you like best?

very easy to use and setup, you can create multiple users and groups

What do you dislike?

is kind of slow regardless of the machine

very useful tool to share files and folder with team members and clients

ownCloud review by Vahan M.
Vahan M.

"Open source best solution for collaborate files and documents"

What do you like best?

open sourcing and flexibility for collaborate and share files

What do you dislike?

less plugins available for extending whole system

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use ownCloud for collaborate local files between teammates

collaborate between teammates

ownCloud review by Elizabeth R.
Elizabeth R.

"ownCloud makes file hosting a breeze"

What do you like best?

I like the easy user interface and that it is free and open-source.

What do you dislike?

The length of time to download the software

File sharing with coworkers

ownCloud review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Updates break software"

What do you like best?

Self hosted and customizable cloud solution. Easy to use and Easy to setup

What do you dislike?

Multiple updates broke the software and it took hours to get it back working - some data was lost

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make backups! We had some data loss and updates regulary caused errors although we had the recommended software/hardware

Sharing files in teams and storing data globally. OwnCloud ist simple and easy to use and meets the requirement

ownCloud review by Aryan B.
Aryan B.

"Useful for small business and groups"

What do you like best?

You could add plugin to check mail or add note. It is beautiful and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

All request are ajax and when you use it over slow internet it cause to a lot of problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Configure other storage as ownCloud and set quota limit for all users.

File cloud storage for small business.

ownCloud review by Thorkamol K.
Thorkamol K.

"Not bad"

What do you like best?

This product is not bad despite i still prefer onedrive.

What do you dislike?

The cloud is not quite stable sometimes.

Unstable cloud.

ownCloud review by Ashley C.
Ashley C.

"My review "

What do you like best?

It's user friendly and meets business need.

What do you dislike?

Too many technical issues and support isn't good.

Training issues and client retention.

ownCloud review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Great for collaborative group work"

What do you like best?

Own Cloud is great because it saves so many files. The program makes it easy for others to work with you on the same project because of the file sharing.

What do you dislike?

I liked everything about Own Cloud. No dislikes.

Like I said above, I loved using it for file sharing. Collaborate work is made easy.

ownCloud review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"ownCloud Experience"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity. I work in the media department, and my usage of ownCloud is primarily receiving traffic - video, images, memos, etc

What do you dislike?

I have yet to find an aspect that I dislike, which may be due to the slight usage of the full program.

ownCloud is best for us to avoid emailing large files that exceed our space and/or limits.

ownCloud review by Administrator in Biotechnology
Administrator in Biotechnology

"A decent product"

What do you like best?

That I control it. I have full control over my cloud when using owncloud.

What do you dislike?

The user experience doesn't feel as intuitive as google drive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great if you know how to manage your own servers.

The greatest benefit is that it reduces cost because it is operated on my own hardware. Storage costs are generally lower when purchased instead of rented.

"AWS review"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I don't have to deal with the scalability. I use AWS lambda, API gateway and step functions and they are event driven and that is awesome.

What do you dislike?

I think aws lambda should support more languages.

generating accounting for supplier invoices, journal entries etc.

ownCloud review by User in Internet

"very easy to use and fun "

What do you like best?

i like how clean it was in design but it was still creative and fun

What do you dislike?

i really do not have anything negative to say about this software

Recommendations to others considering the product

you will like it its easy to install and use, very clear in design which makes it simple

it was easy to use and allowed for fast communication between people

ownCloud review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"ownCloud review"

What do you like best?

The fact that the owner of the document mantains ownership of the material on internal secure servers.

What do you dislike?

The biggest problem is the lack of understanding of this platform across the industry.

Maintaining security of documents and IP throughout company to company transmissions - while not being forced into potentially comprimising platforms.

ownCloud review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Personal cloud"

What do you like best?

It's mine and I feel safe knowing only I have access

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet other then the strange apps addons

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upgrade to Nextcloud it's owncloud but better

Uploading from our computers to the owncloud server as well as using the apps on our tablets and phones

ownCloud review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Use this for less important documents"

What do you like best?

Normal products and can be integrated into our product.

There is a free large volume

What do you dislike?

Configure is crazy on other devices like mobile and tablet.

upload is quite low

to store less important documents like image, sound, and video for content team.

ownCloud review by User

"useful tool to store information for everyone"

What do you like best?

sharing information with the whole company, easy to use

What do you dislike?

dashboard is a bit confusing, the colours are not the gratest either

getting a lot of information i need for my work as a customer success person,

ownCloud review by Administrator in Law Practice
Administrator in Law Practice

"owncloud review"

What do you like best?

simple, easy to use and fastest program out there that i have seen

What do you dislike?

sometimes the language used in the program can feel dated or needs updating

storage in the best way possible with security features

ownCloud review by Administrator

"Good for cutting dependencies"

What do you like best?

We had it up and running on digital ocean on a prebuilt image in seconds.

What do you dislike?

You have to manage whenever the server stops responding and restart it manually.

Having a corporate space where we can store all of our data.

"your own cloud"

What do you like best?

Keep your files in your own server without anyone spying on you.

What do you dislike?

At this point there is no negative points for ownCloud at least not for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

none

Host my own project repositories

ownCloud review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"my owncloud"

What do you like best?

Easy to access & blends well easily w/ documents & photos.

What do you dislike?

I liked it all- wonderful instruction to guide w/ ease.

Recommendations to others considering the product

none

know where all my stuff is-easy finds

ownCloud review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Salesforce Conference"

What do you like best?

I like great customer service with expertise in cloud computing enterprise.

What do you dislike?

Having to spend dollars outsourcing services that I do not have.

Own Cloud is under development.

ownCloud review by Cole M.
Cole M.

"Great service for some specific needs"

What do you like best?

You have complete control. You host it on your own server (or can pay them to host as well) and control every aspect of access to your data. You can create more users, change permissions, add new apps to extend functionality, really anything you can think of - they have an app for.

What do you dislike?

Some of it seems a little clunky. I am used to Dropbox and ownCloud's UI isn't as polished. The built in music streaming is an amazing feature - but it is a bit slow/clunky interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to have a bunch of people to have access with different levels of access to files and data - this is the best option. Really fast to setup, even on a command-line Linux server.

" Dry good"

What do you like best?

It’s very resourceful and very good I like it

What do you dislike?

It can be a little faster but slow working on it

To keep all file together

ownCloud review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Easy file storing"

What do you like best?

It's easy to utilize. Manager taught us in a one hour session

What do you dislike?

No dislikes however team solely uses it for storage needs

Storage

ownCloud review by Administrator in Computer Software

"ownCloud"

What do you like best?

Company controlled online storage, works with external storage

What do you dislike?

Development seems to have halted, and existing add-ons no longer work

None. no longer use

ownCloud review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"right tool for the job"

What do you like best?

allows me to get the job hassle free....

What do you dislike?

user interface can be un responsive at time

fast responses and conversion

ownCloud review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"project manger"

What do you like best?

Easy usage, intuitive

Access, good for team

What do you dislike?

Perceived vulnerability is my main issue. That is on me.

goof for mobile workforce

ownCloud review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Great sharing "

What do you like best?

Works great sharing info across the company

What do you dislike?

Updating the information on multiple platforms

Synching over multiple locations

Learning about ownCloud?

* We monitor all ownCloud reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.