PagerDuty

PagerDuty is an end-to-end incident management and response platform that provides developers, IT operations, and business stakeholders the insights they need to resolve and prevent business-impacting incidents quickly. PagerDuty makes it easy to monitor your infrastructure, set up on-call schedules, establish escalation policies, create automated workflows, and alert the right people at the right time.

Work for PagerDuty?

Learning about PagerDuty?

PagerDuty Reviews

Ask PagerDuty a Question
Showing 165 PagerDuty reviews
PagerDuty review by <span>Deirra J.</span>
Deirra J.

Pagerduty is Great

What do you like best?

Pagerduty integrates easily with various network monitoring software and provides us with the ability to be responsive reducing down time. The dashboard is simply and easy to navigate, providing a single pane of glass for you to see what's going on in the network. Configuring schedules is also straightforward and provide flexibility to be as granular as you need.

What do you dislike?

Well there is an extensive documentation library to help you get started, the tool can be a bit difficult to learn. In my experience, once you are past the initial curve, customization and configuration is a breeze. I'd also add that the API and Notification outages are an issue. These outages have been rare but it's a good idea to sign up for alerts from the PagerDuty support site to get alerted so that you are able to notify your team if alerts are impacted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend ensure that your alerts within your monitor systems are simplified but detailed. Pagerduty does a wonderful job of sending alerts as needed but you want to make sure you are receiving quality alerts. I'd also recommend taking the time to learn the tool. As I mentioned above, PD offers a high level of customization, take the time to review documentation and play around with the tool before going on call officially.

The major benefit is reduction in downtime. Teams are able to be more responsive to outages whereas in the past, notification emails from our monitoring systems may have gone unnoticed. This allow us to maintain a high SLA and resolve issues in a timely manner.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about PagerDuty
PagerDuty review by <span>Diego V.</span>
Diego V.

Amazingly useful tool to handle emergency broadcasts

What do you like best?

Pagerduty allows you to divide people into separate groups, so that if the severity incident is something related to a specific group, it is not necessary to trigger it for everyone. It also allows for escalation and "on-call" duties per week - this is extremely useful, as nowadays our helpdesk team does not even need to call us personally, since Pagerduty handles everything on its own and always knows who's on call.

What do you dislike?

I don't think this is entirely related to Pager Duty in itself, but to our own current infrastructure. The alert emails seem to be sent out to everyone (included the pager duty account, which triggers pager duty in itself). Thus, any subsequent email in the email chain may end up creating a different alert for pager duty.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set everything up correctly from the start! Consider the type of alerts you need. For myself, it is extremely useful to set ALL alerts (SMS, Calls, Email), as it may be easier for me to look at my phone if everything's going haywire.

Our company provides a high availability solution for our customer. Pager Duty allows us to get all necessary hands as quickly as possible whenever an issue arises. This has also leveraged our helpdesk team's need to call development, DBA, etc, on their own, as they may sometimes not know entirely who's on call. Triggering an alert on pager duty is more than enough.

As a member of the dev group, if you get an alert and you are on call but not available, it is easy to escalate to the next dev on the line - without having to personally call them.

What Incident Management solution do you use?

PagerDuty review by <span>Elliot F.</span>
Elliot F.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Simple to set up, awesome integrations, and just works

What do you like best?

PagerDuty enables your team to setup alerts, on call schedules, escalation paths, run books, and everything you could need to provide themselves with meaningful realtime alerting. Most service offer some way to integrate with PagerDuty, and if they do not you can use their REST API to integrate on your own. Having the ability to be alerted via text, phone, slack, web app, desktop app, chrome plugin, etc. is invaluable when on call.

What do you dislike?

Not much. Make sure when you are doing work you set up maintenance windows so you do not accidentally spam your team. Also make sure you have a way to auto resolve probes if they fail or else you may see your voicemail inbox get filled up pretty quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you setup maintenance windows and that your integrations support auto resolve. It is nice to not have to do something because an alert was updated due to it already fixing itself. Take some time to set up run books for people who are on call. You can link the run book urls right in the body of the alert so your team can take the appropriate action.

Being on call is not easy, but with PagerDuty you can empower your team to set up sensible alerts and react to them when they are triggered. It also helps teams mature as once you support your own software you become more aware of what kinds of important issues exist and need to be solved.

PagerDuty review by <span>Rahul K.</span>
Rahul K.

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

I couldn't find any issue with PagerDuty.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PagerDuty is good tool, that you can use to monitor things. We are using PagerDuty to monitor our servers like HTTP 5XX, 4XX, CPU Utilization, Memory Utilization, Disk Space Utilization. We are using PagerDuty, because of this we have an eye on our servers all the time.

PagerDuty review by <span>Robert H.</span>
Robert H.

PagerDuty

What do you like best?

It's hard to pick one thing. Everyone at the company is very supportive and the product is awesome and continues to grow with features, so much so that it's almost outgrow it's name (though I recommend not changing it). It way more that a notification tool, its and event correlation tool, notification tool, Incident Management tool and so much more.

What do you dislike?

Admin reporting, though the support staff are quick to run user reports for you, it would be more useful it I could run my own reporting. Though I'm sure I can create my own reports through the robust API.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider a PagerDuty owned and develop customer Status Page. There are products out there already but I feel PagerDuty could not a much better job that the products already on the market. I rather have all my notifications coming from the same tool.

First and foremost it started as a simply notification tool but quickly is growing into an Incident and Event correlation tool

PagerDuty review by <span>Anthony A.</span>
Anthony A.

Pager Duty makes devops monitoring and alertings great to use

What do you like best?

PagerDuty has a ton of options to customize and set up your alerting needs. We use the built in AWS CloudWatch integration to trigger alerts based on our performance and health monitors, and we've been able to catch and fix problems before our users noticed anything was wrong.

We can set up on call rotations and tiered levels of paging which is great for managing high-availability services and keeping team members sane.

What do you dislike?

I'd like a smart watch integration so my blaring alarm doesn't wake my wife and kids up at 2am! :)

We monitor several key aspects of our software using AWS. Things like latency, fatals, and health checks. Using Cloudwatch alarms integrated with PagerDuty, our on-call team member is notified as soon as an issue is detected and we can get the solution resolved quickly.

Most of the time, we have a problem fixed before the first user reports can come in.

Learn more about PagerDuty

PagerDuty Videos

Learning about PagerDuty?

* We monitor all PagerDuty reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.