Painter

Corel Painter is still the best natural media painting software you can get.

Work for Painter?

Learning about Painter?

Painter Reviews

Showing 30 Painter reviews
Painter review by <span>Gustavo V.</span>
Gustavo V.

A powerful dynamic Software

What do you like best?

I had a formal education in arts, that means I used charcoal and graphite and paint, and worked over paper and canvas. Painter is the best software to my knowledge that replicates all classic artists materials.

It provides a really broad whole range of materials and different specs for every feature, allowing the user to change and adapt the tools for their better use.

Even though, if the user doesn't have experience with analog materials, Painter becomes a playful and dymanic software.

another feature, really important for an illustrator is that you can swap among Ps and Painter, coming back and forth as long as necessary, so the user can start a project on Painter or PS and it doesn't affect the finished piece.

What do you dislike?

As I mentioned the swap between PS and Painter. I would like that it would be more fluid and organic, easier to swap, still it's a pretty good option.

A problem it has sometimes is the brushes, specially the ones the user modifies can get damaged, and start behaving differently. It requires a good reset of the program to fix the issue, but still, took me a while to notice that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great tool, but in my experience is better, as with many users, to use in addition to other programs.

Depending on clients necessities or style chosen for any different project, Painter gives me the freedom to replicate any classic or analog material to give a bit of an edge to any illustration.

Many times I will upload illustration made in another software and give that extra push with Painter, which will make the illustration properly finished.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Painter
Painter review by <span>Kyle G.</span>
Kyle G.

A Whale of a Hefty Art Program

What do you like best?

Where do I begin? The simulated real world brush tools and drawing tools are bar none the best in art programs I have used. I have been a Painter user for over a decade and would give it the highest marks based on usability.

What do you dislike?

The size of the virtual memory used when it's on is a huge load. I have 16 gb of ram and it's still taxing. You have to shut all other programs down and pray it doesn't crash in the middle of a project sometimes. overall it's reliable but every once in a while it breaks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely invest in a high amount of memory for your computer. Make sure you have a high end graphics card and reasonably large hard drive space. Start simple with the tools and build up your knowledge as you go. Make sure you have the latest version of your product. Some nifty tools await you if you don't.

All matter of illustration jobs completed. I am a character designer and this program is integral to my business. I have client reviews that love the final product coming out of my studio thanks to Corel Painter. The end result is top quality and mimics real world media in a way not yet achieved by any other program.

What Drawing solution do you use?

Painter review by <span>Amy G.</span>
Amy G.

Mediocre to good.

What do you like best?

It was a free, complimentary software bundle with a Wacom tablet. That seems to be the only benefit for me.

What do you dislike?

I feel like the brushes in the software are not as good as what they could be, and the blending process is more difficult than it needs to be. There have been several problems in the installation and startup processes, and I frankly just don't find it appealing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend at least trying Painter, as I used the 2015 version, and the 2017 is likely must better than what I was using. Besides, Painter could be the product for your needs, but not for mine. I suggest you try it and see what works best for you.

I received Painter Essentials 2015 as a bonus software with the purchase of a Wacom Intuos Art. So my experiences aren't with the most updated version of Corel Painter technologies. I tried Krita for a week or so, but I didn't have a tablet at the time, I just wanted to view the interface of a digital art platform. However, after using Painter 2015 for a while, I don't find any aspects of the platform particularly appealing. It seems to be a fairly uncommon interface and doesn't seem to provide any substantial benefits other than being free. The installation was unreasonably difficult, as well, at no fault of Corel. The software linked the Intuos Art tablet is corrupted, and you have to download the free trial off of Corel's official website and then enter your serial number. I have had one other error after that, and I am definitely considering downloading Krita again and making that interface my permanent software.

Painter review by <span>Scott S.</span>
Scott S.

A once great product is losing its appeal

What do you like best?

When it comes to digital Natural Media painting, there is nothing like Corel Painter. Its realistic looking and acting painting and drawing media are world class. Painter can do things that programs like Adobe Photoshop simply cannot do. The Real Media tools are among my favourite tools: Pencils for Sketching, Acrylic and Oils for Painting, Water Colours that spread and bleed and swirl with Flow Maps. Use of a pressure sensitive drawing tablet such as Wacom is vital to using Painter as it is intended to be used.

What do you dislike?

The interface is complex with a dated GUI and a dizzying array of brush controls and settings. New users often find Painter's steep learning curve daunting. Corel keeps adding dumb new features like the Audio Brushes, rather than focusing on bug fixes and stabilization. It took forever to finally get a full 64-bit version of Painter on the Mac (Painter 2015 was 64-bit for Mac and Painter 12 was 64-bit for PC released years before). Also, Corel seem to have switched to a paid yearly release for Painter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many painting and drawing products on the market now. Many are far less expensive than Corel Painter as well as being far more simplistic. Painter is the tool of professionals, at least for now. Those interested in using it may be put off by its complex interface and myriad of brush controls. It is well worth the time spent learning the software as its capabilities are extraordinary.

I use Painter as one of my ever-growing arsenal of digital painting and illustration tools. The benefits include Painter's unique brushes and capabilities being a valuable addition to my other tools like Photoshop, Art Rage, Sketchbook Pro, Procreate and MediBang Paint. I typically work on a piece with multiple software tools.

Painter review by <span>Stephanie B.</span>
Stephanie B.

Fun with the right brushes

What do you like best?

When I use Painter, I fell in love with the way it can mimic traditional mediums. Not only can you choose a "medium" like charcoal, graphite, marker, etc, but you can select a paper texture, and if the brush has been set up to react to that texture you can get some pretty realistic results. My favorite brushes were the drawing mediums like the square chalk brush or graphite as it does a good job replicating the look of the mediums it is supposed to represent without the mess. Plus, they were very easy to work with and intuitive. I've had many people not realize that those pieces were done digitally. Additionally, Painter provides a more natural way to add textures to your work. Because of this, Painter is my Go To program when I want to achieve certain results that I can't do as quickly, as well, or as comfortably in Photoshop. The customizeability of the brushes is also great and gives you a lot of options to get the effect that you are looking for.

What do you dislike?

While I do love many of the brushes in Painter, there are others that I avoid. Some brushes like the watercolor brush don't function properly in accordance to how watercolor would react in real life and you would be better off mimicking them in a different way or just doing an actual watercolor painting to achieve the effect that you want. Other brushes, like some of the acrylic brushes leave streaks in the brush strokes for "texture" that a real brush wouldn't do. This isn't to say that the brushes are completely unusable (I did complete a skull still life painting that turned out very well with the acrylic brush mentioned above) you just have to be aware that not all brushes will act like the medium they are supposed to represent. However, you could use their quirks to your advantage in art pieces if you know them well enough. Additionally, Painter was not always as stable as Photoshop and the details provided by the brushes caused it to crash on occassion, so you had to save often or risk losing your work in one of the unpredictable crashes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Painter for anyone who wants a true digital painting software. If you enjoy experimentation, using textures in your work and a fun, intuitive (once you get used to it) program, then I would recommend this product to you.

For the most part, I was using this program to create fun, textured illustrations and digital still lives and often found working in this program (especially with preliminary or quicker work) to finish things more quickly and smoothly than in Photoshop. Sometimes, I will do my quick rough work and take the piece between 50% - 75% completion and finish the touch ups in Photoshop, or work with Painter all the way through. It's shortcomings are too small to avoid using the product and even the bad brushes could be converted and used in a way that could help you with your work if you have the right experience. And sometimes, nothing is more fun than trying our a new brush or setting and discovering or modifying the way you work because of what you discovered.

Painter review by <span>Ladislas C.</span>
Ladislas C.

Great software for the textures and natural feel of painting

What do you like best?

What i like the best when i use painter is the natural "look" of the painting. Even if it's made digitally , painter is the only software that have this talent to reproduce the real and natural look of the brush , thickness , tints and mix of colors. On this aspect "painter" is definitely the number 1 ( For this review i 'm talking about the X3 version). You can choose special papers that will modify the options and how paint will react to paint .

Watercolor is awesome and oil / acrylic are also fabulous in term of textures and natural feel.

What do you dislike?

There is only 1 point that can devaluate painter in comparison to adobe photoshop : The interface / user experience when we use the software. I must admit that i mainly use photoshop even if i know that painter got better results in terms of painting skills. This result comes from small problems in the options to use the software. Photoshop is definitely the champion when it comes from helping you achieve things you want to achieve. You can easlily crop , trnasform , mirror images and sort layers . When you use photoshop often it may be a bit hard to work with painter when you've got small problems with shortcuts and images transformation options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Painter is the best when it comes to reproduce the natural look of painting : Oil, acrylics, watercolors... with multiple dynamic brushes and papers + mediums. This is the most powerful software you can find for this type of work digitally.

This only problem would be the interface and small problems with transformation of images / layers sorting. It would be great if they could adapt the software with the options shortcuts of adobe photoshop , this would definitely become something to have when you're a digital Artist.

Painter is a powerful software . When it comes to reproduce Artistic look digitally , this is the best option, but with this interface small problem, it can slow the process and the user can be upset of being a little bit less free to do what he want in the software compared to photoshop. If you don't mind learn an alternative way to photoshop , then i highly recommend this software because the visual result of the paintings are great really.

Painter helps you achieving a mix between the natural look and process of the traditional painting mixed with the power of digital medium ( undo, layer options...)

Learning about Painter?

* We monitor all Painter reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.