G2 Crowd builds the world's largest business commerce platform fueled by $100M in funding ­čÜÇ

Painter

4.0

Corel Painter is still the best natural media painting software you can get.

Work for Painter?

Learning about Painter?

Painter Reviews

Showing 31 Painter reviews
Painter review by Gustavo V.
Gustavo V.

"A powerful dynamic Software"

What do you like best?

I had a formal education in arts, that means I used charcoal and graphite and paint, and worked over paper and canvas. Painter is the best software to my knowledge that replicates all classic artists materials.

It provides a really broad whole range of materials and different specs for every feature, allowing the user to change and adapt the tools for their better use.

Even though, if the user doesn't have experience with analog materials, Painter becomes a playful and dymanic software.

another feature, really important for an illustrator is that you can swap among Ps and Painter, coming back and forth as long as necessary, so the user can start a project on Painter or PS and it doesn't affect the finished piece.

What do you dislike?

As I mentioned the swap between PS and Painter. I would like that it would be more fluid and organic, easier to swap, still it's a pretty good option.

A problem it has sometimes is the brushes, specially the ones the user modifies can get damaged, and start behaving differently. It requires a good reset of the program to fix the issue, but still, took me a while to notice that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great tool, but in my experience is better, as with many users, to use in addition to other programs.

Depending on clients necessities or style chosen for any different project, Painter gives me the freedom to replicate any classic or analog material to give a bit of an edge to any illustration.

Many times I will upload illustration made in another software and give that extra push with Painter, which will make the illustration properly finished.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Painter
Painter review by User in Higher Education

"Used to be good, Corel 2019, advertisement prone"

What do you like best?

- Choice of brushes and bristles, all in built. (specially the Natural ones)

- Cloning tool with auto-paint feature.

- Tracing tool, with ability to rotate canvas via Wacom Intuos Pro buttons.

- Occasionally gets bundled with Wacom products.

What do you dislike?

- Hate the pop-up advertisement on Windows 10. I will almost never buy this for that one reason, and there is no clear way to disable it.

- The natural brushes can be slower on certain type of computers or less powerful hardware.

- Some of the brush type and the detail settings are cumbersome or complicated. Too many brushes are not needed.

- Corel products are known for crashing, hence some unreliability is attached to their name and cannot be undone.

- Can have a learning curve for niche areas of painting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always do the trial first for a considerable amount of time before actually buying this. Please try both Adobe photoshop and Painter side by side before making any purchasing decisions. Owning one version of this product does not grant a perpetual license for future versions, its definitely not a subscription model. This sofware only mimic's traditional art, cannot reproduce the real paint in any way in a physical form.

This is a hobbyiest app for many, used occasionally for professional use, not for everyday purposes.

After the launch of Ipad pro with the apple pen, its cheaper to buy an all in one solution to draw and paint vs buying a Wacom tablet and a painting software. Hence this software will not last long plus they aren't doing any major changes which would appeal to old users.

What Drawing solution do you use?

Painter review by Kyle G.
Kyle G.

"A Whale of a Hefty Art Program"

What do you like best?

Where do I begin? The simulated real world brush tools and drawing tools are bar none the best in art programs I have used. I have been a Painter user for over a decade and would give it the highest marks based on usability.

What do you dislike?

The size of the virtual memory used when it's on is a huge load. I have 16 gb of ram and it's still taxing. You have to shut all other programs down and pray it doesn't crash in the middle of a project sometimes. overall it's reliable but every once in a while it breaks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely invest in a high amount of memory for your computer. Make sure you have a high end graphics card and reasonably large hard drive space. Start simple with the tools and build up your knowledge as you go. Make sure you have the latest version of your product. Some nifty tools await you if you don't.

All matter of illustration jobs completed. I am a character designer and this program is integral to my business. I have client reviews that love the final product coming out of my studio thanks to Corel Painter. The end result is top quality and mimics real world media in a way not yet achieved by any other program.

Painter review by Amy G.
Amy G.

"Mediocre to good."

What do you like best?

It was a free, complimentary software bundle with a Wacom tablet. That seems to be the only benefit for me.

What do you dislike?

I feel like the brushes in the software are not as good as what they could be, and the blending process is more difficult than it needs to be. There have been several problems in the installation and startup processes, and I frankly just don't find it appealing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend at least trying Painter, as I used the 2015 version, and the 2017 is likely must better than what I was using. Besides, Painter could be the product for your needs, but not for mine. I suggest you try it and see what works best for you.

I received Painter Essentials 2015 as a bonus software with the purchase of a Wacom Intuos Art. So my experiences aren't with the most updated version of Corel Painter technologies. I tried Krita for a week or so, but I didn't have a tablet at the time, I just wanted to view the interface of a digital art platform. However, after using Painter 2015 for a while, I don't find any aspects of the platform particularly appealing. It seems to be a fairly uncommon interface and doesn't seem to provide any substantial benefits other than being free. The installation was unreasonably difficult, as well, at no fault of Corel. The software linked the Intuos Art tablet is corrupted, and you have to download the free trial off of Corel's official website and then enter your serial number. I have had one other error after that, and I am definitely considering downloading Krita again and making that interface my permanent software.

Painter review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"A once great product is losing its appeal"

What do you like best?

When it comes to digital Natural Media painting, there is nothing like Corel Painter. Its realistic looking and acting painting and drawing media are world class. Painter can do things that programs like Adobe Photoshop simply cannot do. The Real Media tools are among my favourite tools: Pencils for Sketching, Acrylic and Oils for Painting, Water Colours that spread and bleed and swirl with Flow Maps. Use of a pressure sensitive drawing tablet such as Wacom is vital to using Painter as it is intended to be used.

What do you dislike?

The interface is complex with a dated GUI and a dizzying array of brush controls and settings. New users often find Painter's steep learning curve daunting. Corel keeps adding dumb new features like the Audio Brushes, rather than focusing on bug fixes and stabilization. It took forever to finally get a full 64-bit version of Painter on the Mac (Painter 2015 was 64-bit for Mac and Painter 12 was 64-bit for PC released years before). Also, Corel seem to have switched to a paid yearly release for Painter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many painting and drawing products on the market now. Many are far less expensive than Corel Painter as well as being far more simplistic. Painter is the tool of professionals, at least for now. Those interested in using it may be put off by its complex interface and myriad of brush controls. It is well worth the time spent learning the software as its capabilities are extraordinary.

I use Painter as one of my ever-growing arsenal of digital painting and illustration tools. The benefits include Painter's unique brushes and capabilities being a valuable addition to my other tools like Photoshop, Art Rage, Sketchbook Pro, Procreate and MediBang Paint. I typically work on a piece with multiple software tools.

Painter review by Stephanie B.
Stephanie B.

"Fun with the right brushes"

What do you like best?

When I use Painter, I fell in love with the way it can mimic traditional mediums. Not only can you choose a "medium" like charcoal, graphite, marker, etc, but you can select a paper texture, and if the brush has been set up to react to that texture you can get some pretty realistic results. My favorite brushes were the drawing mediums like the square chalk brush or graphite as it does a good job replicating the look of the mediums it is supposed to represent without the mess. Plus, they were very easy to work with and intuitive. I've had many people not realize that those pieces were done digitally. Additionally, Painter provides a more natural way to add textures to your work. Because of this, Painter is my Go To program when I want to achieve certain results that I can't do as quickly, as well, or as comfortably in Photoshop. The customizeability of the brushes is also great and gives you a lot of options to get the effect that you are looking for.

What do you dislike?

While I do love many of the brushes in Painter, there are others that I avoid. Some brushes like the watercolor brush don't function properly in accordance to how watercolor would react in real life and you would be better off mimicking them in a different way or just doing an actual watercolor painting to achieve the effect that you want. Other brushes, like some of the acrylic brushes leave streaks in the brush strokes for "texture" that a real brush wouldn't do. This isn't to say that the brushes are completely unusable (I did complete a skull still life painting that turned out very well with the acrylic brush mentioned above) you just have to be aware that not all brushes will act like the medium they are supposed to represent. However, you could use their quirks to your advantage in art pieces if you know them well enough. Additionally, Painter was not always as stable as Photoshop and the details provided by the brushes caused it to crash on occassion, so you had to save often or risk losing your work in one of the unpredictable crashes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Painter for anyone who wants a true digital painting software. If you enjoy experimentation, using textures in your work and a fun, intuitive (once you get used to it) program, then I would recommend this product to you.

For the most part, I was using this program to create fun, textured illustrations and digital still lives and often found working in this program (especially with preliminary or quicker work) to finish things more quickly and smoothly than in Photoshop. Sometimes, I will do my quick rough work and take the piece between 50% - 75% completion and finish the touch ups in Photoshop, or work with Painter all the way through. It's shortcomings are too small to avoid using the product and even the bad brushes could be converted and used in a way that could help you with your work if you have the right experience. And sometimes, nothing is more fun than trying our a new brush or setting and discovering or modifying the way you work because of what you discovered.

Painter review by Ladislas C.
Ladislas C.

"Great software for the textures and natural feel of painting "

What do you like best?

What i like the best when i use painter is the natural "look" of the painting. Even if it's made digitally , painter is the only software that have this talent to reproduce the real and natural look of the brush , thickness , tints and mix of colors. On this aspect "painter" is definitely the number 1 ( For this review i 'm talking about the X3 version). You can choose special papers that will modify the options and how paint will react to paint .

Watercolor is awesome and oil / acrylic are also fabulous in term of textures and natural feel.

What do you dislike?

There is only 1 point that can devaluate painter in comparison to adobe photoshop : The interface / user experience when we use the software. I must admit that i mainly use photoshop even if i know that painter got better results in terms of painting skills. This result comes from small problems in the options to use the software. Photoshop is definitely the champion when it comes from helping you achieve things you want to achieve. You can easlily crop , trnasform , mirror images and sort layers . When you use photoshop often it may be a bit hard to work with painter when you've got small problems with shortcuts and images transformation options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Painter is the best when it comes to reproduce the natural look of painting : Oil, acrylics, watercolors... with multiple dynamic brushes and papers + mediums. This is the most powerful software you can find for this type of work digitally.

This only problem would be the interface and small problems with transformation of images / layers sorting. It would be great if they could adapt the software with the options shortcuts of adobe photoshop , this would definitely become something to have when you're a digital Artist.

Painter is a powerful software . When it comes to reproduce Artistic look digitally , this is the best option, but with this interface small problem, it can slow the process and the user can be upset of being a little bit less free to do what he want in the software compared to photoshop. If you don't mind learn an alternative way to photoshop , then i highly recommend this software because the visual result of the paintings are great really.

Painter helps you achieving a mix between the natural look and process of the traditional painting mixed with the power of digital medium ( undo, layer options...)

Painter review by Bradley L.
Bradley L.

"The original digital media powerhouse"

What do you like best?

Painter's brushes are without equal. The factory brushes it comes with can give you wonderful results and for the most part, accurately imitate most kinds of traditional media beautifully. The real power with Painter, however, comes when you get under the hood and start modifying and building your own brushes.

What do you dislike?

Painter updates frequently do not address critical areas in which the program has lagged behind its competition, instead for whatever reason Corel continues to focus on adding ridiculous new features (like sound-activated brushes) that no one asks for or wants.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try it out before buying. It may seem a bit intimidating at first but understand that after a learning curve, using Painter becomes second nature. Photoshop users may want to reassign keyboard shortcuts to make switching from one program to the other more comfortable.

I have to provide digital art to clients often against very tight deadlines. Painter is for the most part reliable for my needs, and I wouldn't be successful without it.

Painter review by Jehan S.
Jehan S.

"The same amount of control as in traditional painting, although you need to learn the tools."

What do you like best?

As a fine artist I found Corel Painter to deliver a very similar experience to the traditional process of drawing and painting. It can emulate everything you need to fool others into believing your work is a photograph of an actual piece. I recognized the potential of tweaking my brushes to deliver a realistic feeling, so I spent the time watching tutorials to understand how each setting affected my brush performance. It takes training to get the most out of the program. As a beginner or casual user you can still make great artwork with no training whatsoever.

My favorite two features are the unlimited symmetry axis tool and the tracing pictures tool. These two helped me saving time when running with creative design projects and illustration work.

What do you dislike?

Like with any other software there are always some technical limitations. Probably those limitations will be fixed in upcoming versions.

In a sense having a lot of control over your dabs is a great feature for the proficient user, as a beginner though I found the interface and all these controls to be overwhelming and sometimes the tab titles a little confusing.

I would like to see hinting bubbles where I can read what each feature does. That could help a lot a beginner to figure out what are all these functions for. At the time when I started using this program (around version 10), they didn't have any visual help. I worked a nice illustration and I used a bunch of different brushes, it resulted that one specific brush pattern couldn't be saved in my jpg, so I had to figure out a way around to show that layer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend to other digital artists to learn how to use Corel Painter, specially if you enjoy reproducing the natural texture and look of traditional techniques. Although before jumping in and start using it I would advise to spent some time watching tutorials, learning the logic within the user interface because some things are different from what you would expect. I came with a background on Photoshop and I was expecting a similar response, which I didn't get most of the time. Even though they look very similar, Corel Painter has its own nature and it is important to understand it, specially if you get frustrated easily.

Learn the limitations ahead of time, so you won't waste time in the middle of a deadline, and keep in mind that there is always a way around it.

For a quick digital illustration or turning a photo into a digital painting this program is the most robust, and those are the main uses I gave it. I'm a fine artist and I can work faster when I get the chance to use traditional media without having to waste time scanning and fixing my image. I was able to paint 13 illustration covers for a calendar in only 2 days using mainly the tracing and symmetry axis tools.

The problems I solved with it are usually constrictions in time and the delivery of an artistic piece or design.

The benefits so far using it for projects is that is very similar to working with traditional materials and getting what you want from it becomes 2nd nature due to your previous experience with the traditional media. In other words: you will be able to understand 70% of the tools because of how well it mimics the traditional media process.

Painter review by Victor B.
Victor B.

"wonderful painter"

What do you like best?

The best thing about painter is the amount of brushes and materials.

Very good and great tools for the artist and painter, it is a bit complex and the tutorial is only in English.

What do you dislike?

Although its only defect is that all the versions come in English I hope that Corel takes out some trials of Painter in Spanish

allows me a better finish at work

It is the best paint simulator

Painter review by Kristen P.
Kristen P.

"Nice media simulation, lots of lag with some brushes"

What do you like best?

The different brushes tend to behave true to their media I personally like the pastel and chalk brushes. The algorithm for resizing seems to be better than Photoshops which has been helpful for me since I have a very tiny screen. I can finish 75% of a piece small then blow it up and put the finishing touches on it. Painter can save to .psd so it transfers seamlessly into Photoshop if I need it to.

What do you dislike?

The transform tools are terrible. I have to take it into Photoshop to even just resize a layer with any precision. Also I don't use any brush with "Real" in its name because they are extremely laggy.

I can paint with real looking media for my illustrations.

Painter review by Adolfo A.
Adolfo A.

"Essential in my work"

What do you like best?

Corel Painter to me is the best software to make digital sketches and paints. Its convenient tools are very well suited to feel as real tools. Render result of the brush or pencil strokes are absolutely stunning. Also I love the manner than I can do quick illustrations for many kind of projects.

What do you dislike?

At previous versions were sometimes unstable, with system crashes and sometimes I felt a bit lag while I'm working with Wacom. However, last Painter versions, such 2015 has fixed this issues, and the performance is so nice to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work for editorial, or any involving illustration projects, Corel Painter brings you one of the best performance and success results in the market.

I use too much Corel Painter to do illustrations that complement infographic pages for newspapers. I saved tons of hours working with illustrator. I like to do illustrations with traditional tools, but Corel Painter has brought to me a successful way to work for editorial cutting some steps in the process, like scanning, color corrections, etc.

You can see some examples of works made with Corel Painter:

With ste-to-setp process http://bit.ly/1VHieno

Painter review by Izumi Y.
Izumi Y.

"An Artist's Digital Delight"

What do you like best?

As an artist who originally learned how to draw on traditional paints, such as pastels and acrylics, Corel Painter offers a similar appearance. Not only are you given the choice of different mediums like conte, watercolor and acrylic, but also, you have wonderful blenders that allow you to really create to the next level. That mixed with an interface that any intermediate digital artist will love.

What do you dislike?

Although Corel Painter is my program of choice, and I know it like the back of my hand, it did have a learning curve. That is to say, initially I was overwhelmed with all the different brushes and blenders that I didn't know where to start.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think of what you need. If you paint/color images and illustrations and/or use traditional paints I would absolutely recommend this program. However, if your needs are simply to do photo manipulation, then there are better programs out there for you.

As an illustrator, each client presents to me a different want and need. Sometimes I need to illustrate in a smooth and flowy style with strong blending, while others might want something that looks painted. With Corel Painter I can easily achieve both looks in the same program.

Painter review by Igor S.
Igor S.

"Amazing digital painting experience"

What do you like best?

I like that there is wide range of different brushes that are emulations of traditional painting techniques. Some brushes are also new digital techniques like new 'particles' brushes and are also well executed. All brushes have many options that can be modified (for example: smoothing, spacing, grain, angle, rake, color variability, dab profile...).

It works well with graphic tablets.

What do you dislike?

Few years ago Corel Painter weren't so stable as it is today, but now it is probably the best software for digital painting available on the market. I can't say there is something that I really dislike about Painter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Corel Painter is awesome and very useful software for digital painting. It is definitely the best digital emulation of traditional painting / drawing techniques with wide range of brushes to choose from. I would recommend Corel Painter to anyone who have interest in digital painting but also to traditional painters who would like to try new things.

I am creating illustrations, digital artworks and anything graphic design related. Corel Painter is quick and easy way to make interesting painted textures for usage in design and mixed media illustrations and also for digital painting.

Painter review by Rajmund S.
Rajmund S.

"Very complex, only for those willing to learn, but it'll definitely worth it"

What do you like best?

It can do almost anything. It has similar functionality as Photoshop but more into drawing focused. It simulates different 'analog' drawing tools incredibly, it's just mesmerizing to see how dyes blend, or graphite smears on your "digital" paper.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is too complex, hard to overview and the software is not intuitive at all. Also similar to Photoshop, that you won't get anywhere without tutorials and guides, it's not something you learn via trial and error.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you plan to have a future as an Artist or you work in this industry, you can't avoid learning this software. It worth it all the way down, but needs time and effort. When you have the knowledge in your fingers, you'll work visual magic with this.

It would be nice some user interface presets for beginners, and a levelingesque tutorial system. Also professionals and long time users would also benefit from a better GUI

Painter review by Aaron W.
Aaron W.

"No more extra expenses on buying art materials for 'Traditional Painting'"

What do you like best?

If you want to achieve real traditional painting without actually spending time and money to shop for materials like brushes and paint and paper, Corel Painter is the best choice. When I showed my paintings done in Corel Painter to my friends who are not artists, none of them could tell that they were painted in a computer. Who needs brush and canvas anymore?

What do you dislike?

The only thing I didn't like was probably the speed. Sometimes it takes to long to load, or seeing the effect of the brushes happening on the canvas. If the speed could actually catch up with Photoshop one day then maybe it would become a better option for digital painting.

I sold my paintings online. On my laptop. Without walking out from my room.

Painter review by Jacques M.
Jacques M.

"Best software for illustration"

What do you like best?

This software gives the best setup to create impressive illustration. The brushes are all pretty great and realistic.

What do you dislike?

I found that the layers, mask and transform options are not that great. Photoshop or affinity give you a more easy and intuitive control over this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great and easy to use software to create realistic medium illustration.

Painter give me a tool to realized quick and great illustration that no other software can give me. It feel like drawing, painting on a real piece painter.

Painter review by G2 Crowd User in Broadcast Media
G2 Crowd User in Broadcast Media

"Amazing Digital Product for Traditional Media Recreation"

What do you like best?

Been using some version of painter since I graduated college. I consider painter a companion tool for any digital artist or anyone sprucing up assets meant for user facing sites. Once you find your workflow, the software can be optimized and automated to suit your needs. With .abr compatibility, switching back and forth from Adobe Photoshop is amazing, assuming you already had a existing workflow that incorporated exporting your abr brushes for multi computer use.

There's an amazing wealth of brushes and compatibility with the entire suite of wacom tablets makes for using painter almost like using pen to paper. Obviously after configuring your settings and getting over the steep learning curve.

Also, the support for retina display just blows any other competitor's products out of the water. Painter rocks in recreating traditional media in a digital fashion. Amazing art without the mess and fumes associated with traditional oil/acrylic painting.

What do you dislike?

Super intimidating to learn with heavy gui. Some might consider the software to be bloated. I'm amazed it took this long for Corel to implement texture rotations in Painter 2016. Just doesn't make sense to me. But I'm glad they finally added that to the feature set.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the 2016 version. Better than any other version corel put out, well except for Corel 12 that came out in 2011 which is what I learned on.

Painter review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"Painter's great, but it would be nice if it shared more qualities with Photoshop"

What do you like best?

Painting especially with the chalk brushes is intuitive and works seamlessly with the canvas rotate. I don't have to change tools to rotate. With a wacom, or bamboo the brushes are pressure sensitive which makes life easier too.

What do you dislike?

I find myself going back and forth between Painter and Photoshop because the color adjustment and transform tools are just so much easier to use in Photoshop. Working with masks seems to slow things down considerably and if I have a mask on a layer in Photoshop I can't even open the file in Painter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great, intuitive program.. especially if you're familiar with Photoshop.

Painter was the first program I used for my illustrations when I first switched over to digital. It's fairly intuitive and I was able to work in the same style my clients were accustomed to. It's because I discovered Painter that I began to work digitally.

Painter review by Nacho T.
Nacho T.

"Digital Painting"

What do you like best?

Clear, easy, professional and artistic way to digital paint. It has a lot of paintings tool, brushes, etc., with great tutorials. Of course, the auto painting tool is perfect.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, I'm in love with it. I cannot consider anything that I dislike about it. As much time I use it, much time I need to expend painting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Corel Painter is a great tool to "paint", to create digital paintings as excellent artists do.

Painter review by Michael A.
Michael A.

"It's fantastic!"

What do you like best?

I love the flexibility of the brushes and the workspaces.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was a little more compatible with other design programs. I'm always importing and exporting and then having to adjust any special effects that I've applied in other programs.

I use it a lot for initial sketching with a client or plotting out ideas when I'm not feeling like drawing on paper.

Painter review by Loïc L.
Loïc L.

"Lots of new brushes but hard to blend in"

What do you like best?

I liked the variety of brushes and the use of the color panel.

What do you dislike?

I've found it hard to blend the colors together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I need to go further in the software to master it as much as Photoshop and recommend it.

I usually use Photoshop to create portraits but I wanted to use a specific painter software. Someone recommended me Corel Painter so I tried but it wasn't easy for my first try. I wanted to use this software to acquire new specific technics and feel more like a real painting.

Painter review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Good for people making the switch to digital"

What do you like best?

- Natural feeling brushes and paint mixing tools

- Highly customizable

What do you dislike?

Compared to Photoshop, the options to add effects to the whole image are more limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Painter is a respected industry software, so if you know it, it will be helpful in picking up other software as well. If you want your art to look very natural, this is the program you will want to use. But if you are looking to take advantage of digital tools and 3D art, it's not going to have all the features you'd see in Clip Studio.

For people who are used to working with traditional media, this is a good way to get into digital art. Particularly in the way you are able to mix colors.

Painter review by Adel S.
Adel S.

"Corel painter"

What do you like best?

It's the closest and stable approach to traditional media on digital environment

What do you dislike?

Image editing features aren't still very mush developed in therms of usability.

It's easier and fast to create on digital media, but the biggest problem comes when you have a more traditional media approach for art, it's hard to emulate chalks, watercolors, acrylics and such kind of tools. Using Corel Painter i keep working with the feel of traditional media, while i enjoy the smoothness of the digital environment.

Painter review by Administrator in Graphic Design
Administrator in Graphic Design

"The ideal mixed media digital translator. "

What do you like best?

The brush engine is very smooth and optimized for low cpu usage. I personally find the pastel and oil brushes to be the best. I also you somega 3rd party brushes quite often. (Mike T)

What do you dislike?

The lack of ruler tools and group transforming without merging.

I'm am artist for a multimillion apparel decorating company and have used it for ourban advanced art side of things. It's really my go to before photoshop if it's drawing from an app.

Painter review by Gary G.
Gary G.

"Use program to make art"

What do you like best?

The ability to use so many different styles of brushes (such as watercolor, charcoal, oil) and blend them with layers.

What do you dislike?

The version I use (12) can some times be clunky. An example is when I use big brushes for washes the program can not keep up with stylist.

The program allows me to create digital art using my photographs. It has given me a niche and separated my art from other photographers.

Painter review by User in Arts and Crafts
User in Arts and Crafts

"Real Digital Art"

What do you like best?

Real 'traditional'-look artist tools in a digital format.

What do you dislike?

Cannot stand on its own and needs to be used alongside another program, ie Photoshop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good mid-level price range product (with great upgrade discounts) for those needing to replicate traditional artist mediums.

I'm able to use traditional artists' methods with less mess, and the magical 'undo' button -- because sometimes randomness cannot be left to chance. ;)

Painter review by User

"Realistic painting software for artists"

What do you like best?

I love how Painter allows you to create artwork that looks like real oil, acrylic, watercolor paint.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lag on my computer, I'm not sure if it is only because I am running it off of a laptop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

download custom brushes for the best experience

I create custom artworks for clients for my art business.

Painter review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"I love Corel "

What do you like best?

I like how the brushes respond to your Wacom pen perfectly. They behave just like traditional brushes. The tool knows it's for painting and doesn't try to do everything else art related like photoshop.

What do you dislike?

Customer service is hard to get a hold of, but once you get someone they ate helpful. The cost is such that I only but once every 3 or for versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it

It paints way better than photoshop so I get my work done rather quickly when compared with photoshop.

Painter review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Great but not tablet friendly for 2017"

What do you like best?

Corel painter has the most realistic paint simulation for illustration!

What do you dislike?

I feel like corel painter has never made efforts to cater to the tablet market like the surface pros and surface books. please transform the UI to a more finger friendly interface.

the ability to paint realistically in different mediums saves me valuable time

Painter review by User

"Amazing"

What do you like best?

the emulation of traditional media is amazing in Painter

What do you dislike?

well, sometimes the performance is pretty bad, thats why my main tool is other :P

Well, is an amazing software to paint and create textures,

Learning about Painter?

* We monitor all Painter reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.