Panopto

All-in-one video capture and management software. Record presentations & lectures, webcast events, and build an organizational YouTube - all from your laptop.

Work for Panopto?

Learning about Panopto?

Panopto Reviews

Ask Panopto a Question
Showing 51 Panopto reviews
Panopto review by <span>Delores A.</span>
Delores A.

Excellent Tool for Instructor-Created Videos

What do you like best?

The thing I love about Panopto is the quizzing feature, which allows you to insert quiz questions throughout a lecture. I have a lot of faculty members who use this feature to check students' comprehension along the way as they are watching videos. Also, I love all of the data that you are able to collect via Panopto. We have always struggled to determine how engaged our students are in video content, and the data that Panopto provides allows us to see when students tend to drop off in videos.

What do you dislike?

The main issue I have with Panopto is managing the permissions for user-created videos. When we create these at my job, our plan is to use them from term to term; however, this presents a sharing problem, as each semester (and in each section) we have to manually go in and adjust the permissions so new students can view them. Perhaps this is an issue due to the integration with Canvas, but I imagine that there are a lot of other users out there using it that way, and this is a troublesome issue that results in lots of lost time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Panopto has some really great features that can make your educational video content truly engaging. You can embed PDFs, websites, and even Youtube videos in your recordings.

We used to spend a lot of time and money bringing instructors into our studio space, but the costs associated with that, and the time investment, just became too much. With Panopto, our instructors can create videos in the comfort of their own homes, and they don't have to waste valuable time traveling to our studio. Also, many instructors were a bit camera shy when they were actually in the studio, and this resulted in a lot of takes. With Panopto, it's easy to edit out mistakes, and instructors seem to feel a lot more comfortable recording.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Panopto
Panopto review by <span>Frank J. F.</span>
Frank J. F.
Referral to G2 Crowd from another user

Panopto is a visionary company that serves its customers exceptionally well.

What do you like best?

What I like best is their corporate culture. I have been using their product since 2009 and have never heard any of their employees describe the company as anything less than supportive. The environment they have created allows their employees to be productive and creative, which has served them well over the years as their product continues to improve and consistently offer new features. They actively solicit input from (and then listen to) their customers. I am impressed by the level of customer service they provide. Every time I have contacted them to ask about a potential future feature, they have been very engaged in asking about my needs and how they could best serve them. They seem to understand that their customers can help them identify needs, and if they provide solutions, they will build loyalty. Their response time is also commendable; I have never waited to get a communication from them about a problem I was having (even if it was due to user error). They also continue to expand their database of Panopto-based tutorials and answers to FAQ, which allows customers to find exactly what they need.

What do you dislike?

Nothing has struck me yet to dislike, although if I had to point to something that is challenging, it might be that some of their less-well-known features (such as captioning) are not intuitive to set up. I don't have a need for it now, but it could become an issue in the future. If it is, I have no doubt they would provide me with the resources (tutorials, examples, and communications with technical staff) to address my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have use cases highlighted on their website, but speaking with their customer service personnel could provide you with even more useful information specifically addressing your needs. I use their services in HIgher Education but as a former technology trainer, I can tell you that there are many more applications that make sense for this product. Providing legacy recordings and linking or associating them with each other to provide a network of resources smoothly is no easy task, yet Panopto seems to thrive on the challenge of doing just that. At their recent (and first) North American User Conference in Chicago, they provided a venue for real-time multiple customer input and critique of their product. Based on the responses they gave to every question conceivable, it is apparent that they want to service their customers, not push them into a direction the company has previously established as their goal. They are extremely accommodating, and are not hard-sell like some companies. I would recommend that anyone who is interested in their services should contact them for a Free Trial.

They provide a platform for communicating between parties: faculty, students, and guest presenters. Their product allows seamless integration of video, PowerPoint, captioning and additional resources. My students are creating as well as consuming content using Panopto. As we build a library of previously recorded informative sessions, students can pick up where previous cohorts left off and take their thinking to a new level - addressing problems that were beyond the reach of students a few years ago. I have noticed that the quality of the discourse has increased and the level of engagement extends far beyond what is required or even suggested. Students benefit from being active participants in their own learning, and they are better prepared for more advanced classes, which benefits everyone. When they leave our program they are ready to hit the ground running since they have had more opportunities to take in a variety of perspectives from others, as well as review standardized content as often as they feel it is beneficial. I also use it to record instructional videos and demonstrations, and their mobile app makes it easy to use anywhere, even in the field. It is extremely flexible and reliable.

What Video CMS solution do you use?

Panopto review by <span>Angelic T.</span>
Angelic T.

Great video creation and storage platform with fantastic Analytics tools!

What do you like best?

The interface in Panopto is easy to use for both Mac and Windows users. You can easily download the quick record application and record offline. They also have a great editing tool that they seem to be constantly enhancing. Their support site has a lot of video content to train users on simple video recordings as well as more intricate editing features. You can also record multiple screens and add quizzes and reference links. I can't say enough great things about Panopto

What do you dislike?

The editing interface needs a bit more development but it is on it's way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When researching a video content hosting platform, our team reviewed many vendors in multiple sectors. We found Panopto to best suit our needs for both internal and external video content management. We love this platform and they give you a great trial period and fantastic support!

We are able to easily create customized training sessions for our clients and securely provide access to folders or videos that only relate to their license. We are also able to create on boarding and internal training and use this to coach our own users.

Panopto review by <span>John B.</span>
John B.

Would Choose Panopto Again

What do you like best?

The support has been very good. Not only when there has been an issue but also when trying to find answers and just cannot find the correct article, they have been excellent at pointing me in the right direction.

What do you dislike?

I am normally in Chrom throughout the day, so when I need to use the Advanced Editor, I have to change over to IE. It is not a real problem, just an inconvenience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take Panopto's recommendations for hardware; don’t try to put an entire package together from scratch, their recommendations will save you time and money. They know what works well together. Take their advice, and use it to your advantage.

Panopto has allowed distance education students, whom in the past would have only received PowerPoints as their lecture, to receive either by synchronous or asynchronous methods, the same lecture from the same instructor as the live class. Fully online classes now have lecture materials in addition to the non-lecture materials that they have had in the past. Students that miss a class, can still have the lecture materials that they would have received if they had of been sitting in class that day.

Panopto review by <span>Jonathan D.</span>
Jonathan D.

Impressed with their product and their leadership. Great company to work with.

What do you like best?

They provide excellent support and truly believe in their product. I love its detailed analytics, video management, easy to use recorder, and the ability to schedule recordings and even live broadcast. I also love the integration it has with 3rd party companies to caption video content.

What do you dislike?

I dislike it's captioning editor. It does allow you to import automated captions and fix them but that's the only way it can be effectively used. Writing captions from scratch in their editor is near impossible. We take the podcast video link and bring the video into amara.org. From there we download the .srt file and upload it back into Panopto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

What was really important to me was managing the content. We wanted instructors to be able to create content and easily put that content into our LMS. Then we wanted to share that course with adjunct instructors with ease. We then also wanted to have work studies caption all of this content. Panopto's video management allowed us to do all of this.

Recording live lectures of classes for students to review and study with or if they were unable to attend in person. We also record instructional content and make it available in courses. Students create videos to submit for homework. We live broadcast events to our internal staff.

Panopto review by <span>Malcolm E.</span>
Malcolm E.

Impressive service and company

What do you like best?

Panopto has allowed us to make lecture capture and flipped classroom teaching possible campus wide with minimal effort in training and management of end users.

We have been able to make recording automatic and seamless for instructors in large auditoriums, cutting down on time and equipment overhead our previous solution caused.

What do you dislike?

Advanced editing tools still require Silverlight to use, and as such cannot be acessed simply in favored browsers (Firefox and Chrome).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I cannot recommend it highly enough. Support is fantastic, feature set is rich, and end users become fluent in usage very quickly.

Panopto has provided a solution to the hurdle that was scalability in lecture capture. As we move more and more into hybrid and fully remote classroom settings, the ability to have content available easily and reliably has been a key concern, and Panopto has been an amazing solution from the start.

Learning about Panopto?

* We monitor all Panopto reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.