Papers

Papers Online is a web application, so you can sign in and view your publications. Share the latest publications within the team to collaborate on journal clubs, manuscripts and more.

Work for Papers?

Learning about Papers?

Papers Reviews

Ask Papers a Question
Showing 13 Papers reviews
Papers review by User in Higher Education

"Essential for any academic- small bugs, but worth its weight in gold. "

What do you like best?

As a user for years, I love the simple interface, ease of importing and matching academic articles, the view and annotation options and the Smart Collections feature. I also use papers for my in-text referencing and while it's missing a few features of Endnote, it integrates pretty seamlessly

What do you dislike?

There are a couple of small bugs that don't seem to have been addressed (though I'm on my third version of Papers 7 years later). 1) the inability to easily vary in-text reference formatting (the reference list si easy, but Endnote has easier ways to manipulate the way refs will look in text, especially eg when you want to start a sentence with a reference rather than include it in parentheses). 2) More minor: When you have many papers open in the viewer, it's hard t close those that aren't at the front of the queue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While there are now some other services (Mendeley etc) that offer some similar features, I'd still say Papers is the original and best. There is also a large online community to access for support.

As an academic who deals with an incredible volume of journal articles, being able to keep them well organized, annotated and accessible is essential to ever getting any new research papers written and published. It is the coin of the realm, after all.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Papers
Papers review by Ozge Y.
Ozge Y.

"Give it a chance, won't regret it, way easier than Endnote/Mendeley."

What do you like best?

Better user interface. Searching and importing from the simple browser within Papers app is very convenient. I don't need to add extra buttons to the browser. Syncing over cloud is a must when working on multiple locations. The comprehensive search within the citation manager makes it easy to add multiple articles.

What do you dislike?

To export files I have to drag them to the desktop then to the email; a little nuisance. At some point, with one upgrade the indexing of the files were kinda messed up (I guess it had to be done due to integration with Dropbox) but it got better. It has been a while that I used the citation manager, one thing I felt that it needs improvement was the formatting, perhaps this got way better now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only reason I had to move away from Papers this last year is because I am using a Linux distro for my desktop at work. But even for that I organize things in Papers, and just export the library to Mendeley.

Organizing the literature. Created a library over 1K articles to use as a reference while writing articles.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

Papers review by Benjamin G.
Benjamin G.

"Best citation management solution for Mac"

What do you like best?

The things that I like about Papers is the ease of use and straightforward management of my database. In many ways I feel like I am just browsing through my finder instead of working in a piece of software. Papers automatically organizes your files when you import documents, which is a huge benefit to me. The tagging and flagging system are really useful. Integration with Google Scholar and other databases makes finding additional resources a breeze. I regularly use the automatic citation feature for Word, but I find that the bibliography needs to be double checked as there are often errors. I also regularly use the iPad version of Papers for reading and marking the articles. The easy synch feature between the programs is great.

What do you dislike?

One thing that particularly vexes me is the ability to search within keywords. For instance, I have 56 articles tagged with the keyword "online collaboration". I know that the paper I am looking for is tagged with that, but I am unable to then add an additional search term to narrow my results. So instead, I have to scroll through all 56 articles to find the one I want. I encounter this problem frequently. There are a couple of other minor glitches that will annoy, such as occasionally auto correcting the author's name incorrectly no matter how many times you re-enter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Despite its shortcomings, Papers is my favorite citation manager. I would recommend trying the demo version and seeing if you prefer it to your current application.

I am an academic and use Papers to manage my research library.

Papers review by Francisco M. D.
Francisco M. D.

"Best literature manager"

What do you like best?

Looks good in my Mac, index papers with spotlight, obtains automatically reference information for most papers, magic citations works with most applications and created great reference lists, with has a iOS app to access collections in my iPad, I can backup the library in my preferred cloud provider to be accessible by the iOS app.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't have a service to share my collections or specific PDFs with my colleagues on the web like Mendeley. Who sharing PDFs via email, it works with MacOS Mail app, but not all other Mail apps. No new updates recently (wonder if the acquisition by RedCube means they are not planing to keep improving the app).

List of literature references for papers and technical literature.

Papers review by Matthew K.
Matthew K.

"Fantastic product - great user interface"

What do you like best?

Citation manager is the easiest and best part of this software. I also like the user interface within the program itself. It is very intuitive. The syncing across devices by storing your library on a cloud drive is great.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the syncing across devices has been buggy. But this may have been fixed in recent builds. I don't have a iPad/eReader device so I don't utilize the functions of keeping track of which papers I have read. I also am not sure how the citations manager/bibliography function works in collaboration with other reference manager softwares (i.e. endnote - the industry standard in my field - in my past experience, the primary author has been responsible for managing all citations).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a student, get the student discount! This software is very user friendly and a great addition to any student/post-docs repertoire. The only caution I would add is to make sure the way your lab/office writes papers collaboratively is going to mesh with the citation software.

Medical research. I use this software to write papers and used it for my dissertation. Has been very easy to use.

Papers review by Nuno A.
Nuno A.

"Fantastic organiser of scientific articles with a few hiccups"

What do you like best?

The app has a beautiful interface and it's really simple to use. The search feature makes it easy to incorporate articles from popular sources such as PubMed and IEEExplore in your library without the need to add the associated metadata: it's all there. It has a lot of features that support organisation including folders, star rating, flags, color labels and keywords.

Another advantage is that they offer a free iOS companion with all the metadata in sync and the support team is fast at answering your questions.

What do you dislike?

The major problem are the crashes and freezes that should be taken care of. Many times, the app becomes unresponsive. For example, when you're trying edit multiple (20 or more) articles at the same time, the app can freeze for a few seconds. I also find that it takes too much time to start the application. On some rare occasions, I've seen the app crash for no apparent reason, so be aware of that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try the free trial if you're on the fence. You'll easily see that it's a great software and to me, it's the best citations manager of all. Even though it's not free, it's worth the small asked fee even with its bugs.

It really makes organising scientific articles a breeze (when it's not freezing, that is). The metadata of the scientific articles is automatically filled and I find it a really time saver, besides being pretty accurate.

Papers review by Lucius H.
Lucius H.

"The Almost-Ultimate Academic Paper Mangement Tool on Mac"

What do you like best?

Papers could match and fill-in missing information of a paper with just a few clicks.

It has predefined lots of journal website and you can virtually find everything without further configuration.

When you're away from your school, you can use the built-in function to log in the journal website from your school's proxy/vpn.

Last but not least, the magic citation function is so helpful when you're inserting bibliography.

What do you dislike?

Sometime it will crash. And the paper synchronisation still needs some improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are both a Mac user and a researcher, you'll need Papers to organise your reading list.

I use it to find, organise and annotate papers. It makes my life much easier.

Papers review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Underwhelming Resource Manager"

What do you like best?

Papers has a great Mac user interface, and now they have a free iPad/iPod app (though I have not used it). Good search features as well.

What do you dislike?

When there are free software alternatives, I am always hesitant to get a paid software. My colleagues all told me to switch to papers, and if there was the free iPad app when I tried it, I may have stuck with it, but I was underwhelmed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth a shot--they have a free 30 day trial. If you work between platforms, it may be a great way to sync info

Organization, storage, search-ability.

Papers review by Holly G.
Holly G.

"great"

What do you like best?

It is great and easy to use for beginners in web design.

What do you dislike?

The price is a bit too much for me, but I think it is well worth it compared to the lower cost options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

well worth the high price, especially for bloggers.

I am designing images for my blog with photoshop.

Papers review by Mario N.
Mario N.

"Great reference manager for Apple OS"

What do you like best?

Possibility to edit references and the pdf itself

What do you dislike?

Still more directed to the Apple OS, but it works for me!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Whenever you have doubts, write the very competent support team, they are great

Writing scientific papers

Papers review by User in Higher Education

"A useful tool for papers search"

What do you like best?

I was easy to use keyword searches with it. I can easily find papers relevant to my area of research.

What do you dislike?

Some features needed some improvement such as how to store pdfs and such.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good tool to have especially if you are in grad school.

I used it for references search and it was pretty good.

Papers review by User

"It's ok but expensive"

What do you like best?

I really liked the earlier version, so I purchased the license while I was an undergraduate. It has a nice viewer and organization of articles.

What do you dislike?

It's not as good as other resource managers at automatically recognizing and importing information about articles, like the publication, year, authors, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mendeley, Zotero

Resource storage and organization

Papers review by User in Civic & Social Organization
User in Civic & Social Organization

"Papers on iPad"

What do you like best?

Papers picks automatically article metadata once you add a pdf. It handles it much better compared to other apps lika ReadCube.

What do you dislike?

That there is not a way to sync my EndNote library and Papers. And papers team does not provide help to guide customers on how to do it.

Easily add new articles, read and annotate them.

Learning about Papers?

* We monitor all Papers reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.