Papers

Papers Online is a web application, so you can sign in and view your publications. Share the latest publications within the team to collaborate on journal clubs, manuscripts and more.

Work for Papers?

Learning about Papers?

Papers Reviews

Showing 13 Papers reviews
Papers review by User in Higher Education

"Essential for any academic- small bugs, but worth its weight in gold. "

What do you like best?

As a user for years, I love the simple interface, ease of importing and matching academic articles, the view and annotation options and the Smart Collections feature. I also use papers for my in-text referencing and while it's missing a few features of Endnote, it integrates pretty seamlessly

What do you dislike?

There are a couple of small bugs that don't seem to have been addressed (though I'm on my third version of Papers 7 years later). 1) the inability to easily vary in-text reference formatting (the reference list si easy, but Endnote has easier ways to manipulate the way refs will look in text, especially eg when you want to start a sentence with a reference rather than include it in parentheses). 2) More minor: When you have many papers open in the viewer, it's hard t close those that aren't at the front of the queue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While there are now some other services (Mendeley etc) that offer some similar features, I'd still say Papers is the original and best. There is also a large online community to access for support.

As an academic who deals with an incredible volume of journal articles, being able to keep them well organized, annotated and accessible is essential to ever getting any new research papers written and published. It is the coin of the realm, after all.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Papers
Papers review by <span>Ozge Y.</span>
Ozge Y.

"Give it a chance, won't regret it, way easier than Endnote/Mendeley."

What do you like best?

Better user interface. Searching and importing from the simple browser within Papers app is very convenient. I don't need to add extra buttons to the browser. Syncing over cloud is a must when working on multiple locations. The comprehensive search within the citation manager makes it easy to add multiple articles.

What do you dislike?

To export files I have to drag them to the desktop then to the email; a little nuisance. At some point, with one upgrade the indexing of the files were kinda messed up (I guess it had to be done due to integration with Dropbox) but it got better. It has been a while that I used the citation manager, one thing I felt that it needs improvement was the formatting, perhaps this got way better now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only reason I had to move away from Papers this last year is because I am using a Linux distro for my desktop at work. But even for that I organize things in Papers, and just export the library to Mendeley.

Organizing the literature. Created a library over 1K articles to use as a reference while writing articles.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

Papers review by <span>Benjamin G.</span>
Benjamin G.

"Best citation management solution for Mac"

What do you like best?

The things that I like about Papers is the ease of use and straightforward management of my database. In many ways I feel like I am just browsing through my finder instead of working in a piece of software. Papers automatically organizes your files when you import documents, which is a huge benefit to me. The tagging and flagging system are really useful. Integration with Google Scholar and other databases makes finding additional resources a breeze. I regularly use the automatic citation feature for Word, but I find that the bibliography needs to be double checked as there are often errors. I also regularly use the iPad version of Papers for reading and marking the articles. The easy synch feature between the programs is great.

What do you dislike?

One thing that particularly vexes me is the ability to search within keywords. For instance, I have 56 articles tagged with the keyword "online collaboration". I know that the paper I am looking for is tagged with that, but I am unable to then add an additional search term to narrow my results. So instead, I have to scroll through all 56 articles to find the one I want. I encounter this problem frequently. There are a couple of other minor glitches that will annoy, such as occasionally auto correcting the author's name incorrectly no matter how many times you re-enter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Despite its shortcomings, Papers is my favorite citation manager. I would recommend trying the demo version and seeing if you prefer it to your current application.

I am an academic and use Papers to manage my research library.

Papers review by <span>Francisco M. D.</span>
Francisco M. D.

"Best literature manager"

What do you like best?

Looks good in my Mac, index papers with spotlight, obtains automatically reference information for most papers, magic citations works with most applications and created great reference lists, with has a iOS app to access collections in my iPad, I can backup the library in my preferred cloud provider to be accessible by the iOS app.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't have a service to share my collections or specific PDFs with my colleagues on the web like Mendeley. Who sharing PDFs via email, it works with MacOS Mail app, but not all other Mail apps. No new updates recently (wonder if the acquisition by RedCube means they are not planing to keep improving the app).

List of literature references for papers and technical literature.

Papers review by <span>Matthew K.</span>
Matthew K.

"Fantastic product - great user interface"

What do you like best?

Citation manager is the easiest and best part of this software. I also like the user interface within the program itself. It is very intuitive. The syncing across devices by storing your library on a cloud drive is great.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the syncing across devices has been buggy. But this may have been fixed in recent builds. I don't have a iPad/eReader device so I don't utilize the functions of keeping track of which papers I have read. I also am not sure how the citations manager/bibliography function works in collaboration with other reference manager softwares (i.e. endnote - the industry standard in my field - in my past experience, the primary author has been responsible for managing all citations).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a student, get the student discount! This software is very user friendly and a great addition to any student/post-docs repertoire. The only caution I would add is to make sure the way your lab/office writes papers collaboratively is going to mesh with the citation software.

Medical research. I use this software to write papers and used it for my dissertation. Has been very easy to use.

Papers review by <span>Nuno A.</span>
Nuno A.

"Fantastic organiser of scientific articles with a few hiccups"

What do you like best?

The app has a beautiful interface and it's really simple to use. The search feature makes it easy to incorporate articles from popular sources such as PubMed and IEEExplore in your library without the need to add the associated metadata: it's all there. It has a lot of features that support organisation including folders, star rating, flags, color labels and keywords.

Another advantage is that they offer a free iOS companion with all the metadata in sync and the support team is fast at answering your questions.

What do you dislike?

The major problem are the crashes and freezes that should be taken care of. Many times, the app becomes unresponsive. For example, when you're trying edit multiple (20 or more) articles at the same time, the app can freeze for a few seconds. I also find that it takes too much time to start the application. On some rare occasions, I've seen the app crash for no apparent reason, so be aware of that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try the free trial if you're on the fence. You'll easily see that it's a great software and to me, it's the best citations manager of all. Even though it's not free, it's worth the small asked fee even with its bugs.

It really makes organising scientific articles a breeze (when it's not freezing, that is). The metadata of the scientific articles is automatically filled and I find it a really time saver, besides being pretty accurate.

Learning about Papers?

* We monitor all Papers reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.