Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex

4.0

Paychex reduces the complexity and risk of running your own payroll, while ensuring greater accuracy with up-to-date tax rates and regulatory information.

Work for Paychex Flex?

Learning about Paychex Flex?

Paychex Flex Reviews

Ask Paychex Flex a Question
Showing 566 Paychex Flex reviews
Paychex Flex review by Deborah A. M.
Deborah A. M.

"I can immediately pull it up"

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Paychex Flex
Paychex Flex review by Brian  S.
Brian S.

"Comprehensive and User Friendly"

What do you like best?

The entire experience offers an ease of use, with easy to read icons and comprehensive information at your fingertips There are user tutorials for more information and I am able to process payroll and manage my employee information at my pace.

Additionally, the 401(k) is self-administered by the employee now thru Flex and this saves me time.

What do you dislike?

Getting used to the new interface was challenging - creatures of habit, we are.

While processing payroll using the down arrow to get to the next employee/check doesn't work and/or will take me to employees listed in a second company. (I admin three companies on PaychexFlex).

Also - the "save" icon doesn't travel with the screen - so I can be adding rates or changing items and ready to move on but have to scroll back to the top to find "Save".

The benefits administration section is extremely detailed and difficult. We pay for it but don't use it. Paychex considers a few phone calls with a specialists ample training from this. It's not.

We don't use time and attendance, vacation/sick/personal tracking, sign-in/sign-out, employee reviews, etc. None of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get one-on-one training with someone who can walk you thru the benefits administration part of this product. We are paying for this but don't use it because I don't understand it.

I haven't fully integrated Flex with my accounting - I missed the window for the GL set-up. So I am still manually entering my GL every two weeks. This is not time-saving. Benefits - the employees are excited to manage their own 401(K) plans themselves right on their Flex screen on their phone or personal device. Added Roth to our offerings - very popular.

What Payroll solution do you use?

Paychex Flex review by Zach S.
Zach S.

"End User Convenience"

What do you like best?

I like that all of my tax documentation is created and accessible within the system. Not having to wait on a physical piece of mail to show up in my mailbox at home or for it to be distributed within the office makes things a lot more convenient for me. Oddly enough, I love doing my taxes, so this helps me get a head start in getting them submitted earlier.

What do you dislike?

I am unsure if this is Paychex's requirement set or if it is something that is set by an admin, but I can't use special characters in my password(s). I always add one at the end of my passwords and I am not allowed. It's not a huge inconvenience, but I do see it as a security risk. That said, I doubt anyone cares what I make!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a wonderful piece of software - easy to user and understand from an employee standpoint. I don't have experience with it on the back end / admin side, but it is perfect for my needs. My wife uses Paylocity and any time I've tried to get anything from that portal, it's 'modern' looking, but it's clunky and hard to find things. Paychex is simple and straightforward.

Payroll & tax documentation. I don't feel like this answer can be fully fleshed out. It's just a solid piece of software that does exactly what we need.

Paychex Flex review by Bronte H.
Bronte H.

"Paychex Flex Review "

What do you like best?

Paychex appears to be a very secured site which makes me feel comfortable when logging in and out of this service. Within the site, my information such as wage, bank account information, and W2 is easily accessible and easy to find. Overall, the site is fairly user friendly and the app also makes it convenient to easily clock in and out when starting work shift. Signing up for the site is fairly simple as well.

What do you dislike?

Manually entering/modifying times on time cards can be difficult to figure out. This part of the site is not very user friendly in my opinion. It can be difficult to figure out how to enter/edit times. I do not like that you have to put either "MP" or "DA", etc. when you are entering in times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a solid platform for managing time cards and payroll.

Paychex allows me to enter/modify my employees time cards if they forget to clock in/out or if they need their times modified.

Paychex Flex review by Tammy P.
Tammy P.

"Extremely user friendly "

What do you like best?

The Dashboard is very easy to navigate around and easy to understand, especially for people like myself that are not knowledgeable about computers. I like that I can change employees information at anytime. My payroll specialist is always on time and returns phone calls. I like that I have the option if I need to I can talk with another person if my concern is immediate.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing at this time that I dislike about this software. I have used other payroll services and this by far is the easiest to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The people that I have dealt with are very professional and have always addressed my concerns at anytime. From the beginning I have always had great people that have helped me.

At this time our business uses Paychex Flex for payroll services only. Many times my employees will ask for a certain copy of a pay stub that have lost and it is easy to go into the program and reprint.

Paychex Flex review by Krystal T.
Krystal T.

"Far below expectations"

What do you like best?

The online payroll system is user friendly and meets expectations. However, the support is just mediocre.

What do you dislike?

Implementation - implementation of payroll was pretty straight forward. HR was difficult. The implementer seemed to be learning as she went. Setting up a toggle for my two companies was a problem when it came to having an employee land on their correct company. It took over a month for them to figure it out. Setting up PTO was very difficult. I wish I had insisted on more experienced implementers and not allowed them to transition me to regular support until they were completely finished. They were in a rush to close their case.

Payroll and HR - The data integration even between the tabs is lacking. User profiles are extremely complicated with several areas to make changes - you almost always have to call your payroll rep for assistance. Then, you have to call HR for assistance with that part of the profile because payroll won't touch HR permissions. It can be a hassle. They also do not offer the feature where you can login as one of your employees to see their view (many other companies offer this). The movement of information between the payroll data section and HR section can make things difficult to manage. You have to be careful because what you input in HR doesn't flow into payroll data. MAKE SURE you hold onto the assigned HR rep during implementation as long as you can. The call center is well intentioned employees who have extremely limited knowledge of the system. You may know more than many of the representatives. They typically have to escalate your questions and it will be a long, frustrating call.

Paychex Benefits - We use Paychex as our broker. I initially made this decision because I believed keeping everything with the same company would provide advantages with integration, customer service and eliminate keying errors I was finding when using an outside broker. This has been the worst vendor decision I have made in my 10 years at this company. The errors and lack of customer service have resulted in embarrassment to me and management as it ultimately affects the employees. Open enrollment was a disaster even with an assigned representative. Your assigned rep will not pick up their phone and will avoid scheduled calls if you don't throw a fit. Enrollments consistently have errors, so you have to pay close attention to your bill from the carrier. I will obviously be looking at other brokers, and possibly a new system all together. I would have already made a change, but the amount of work to change systems is significant when you are an HR department of 1!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely research other products unless you are only looking to use their payroll product. Even then, for the price, you can find other products that offer better customer service at the same or lower price. DEFINITELY don't use Paychex as your broker unless you want a lot more work for yourself...who has time for that?!

Unfortunately, because I have had to spend so much time fixing problems with the system and managing benefits, I haven't had time to build out some of the modules. They do offer some neat modules that could potentially help with different workflows.

Paychex Flex review by Tammy K.
Tammy K.

"Contact/Suppport/Help options leave a lot to be desired."

What do you like best?

Over all the product is average - 5 out of 10. Entering in time is the best feature, I like that I can resize columns, save different layouts, etc on the time entry screen.

What do you dislike?

Let's see - If I click on Help > Help, this function doesn't actually work on my Chrome, Safari, Edge, or Firefox browsers. Sometimes one thing may work on one browser, such as "Search", another time something else may work on another browser, such as browsing alphabetically, but the help site overall is very poor and doesn't really do much good. Yes, I have tried no fewer than four browsers and no fewer than three computers, in various combinations.

Training: There's no way to search for the specific topic you're interested in, you can only browse. And the training is very basic.

Contact: You would assume there would be a "contact" button for issues. There isn't. If you click on Help and Having Trouble, it gives you a number to call, but no email so you can send your issue and get on with your day. The impression that I get from that, intended or not, is that they really want to discourage me from contacting them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I made the decision for our company to switch to Paychex when we moved from Quickbooks Enterprise to Sage Intacct, as supposedly Paychex integrates with Sage Intacct. I have asked how to get my payroll information into Intacct but as of yet I have no answer. Also be aware it can take months for the benefit portal to be available for your employees when switching to Paychex Benefits.

Well so far - none. I would like to eventually work up to having a full-service product that handles my payroll, benefits, human resources, and retirement, but so far after six weeks no area is 100% functioning.

Paychex Flex review by Dana K.
Dana K.

"BEST Payroll System Out There"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that there is a great local support team, the system itself is easy to use and implement and I can access reports online 24/7 whenever I need them which makes my life so much easier! I love the Analytics and Reports and Quick Reports section of the website for quickly gathering info and the fact that I can access my Payroll Reports just 15 minutes after I have submitted my payroll. It also saves me so much time by addressing and sending us W-2s for all of our employees. All I have to do is stamp them and mail them out! We also save so much time and headaches with the Tax Pay feature. I never have to worry that they are filed on time and if there are issues, Paychex resolves them quickly.

What do you dislike?

There had been a few times in the past that I had some minor issues getting the Paychex Flex website to load and to work remotely (not on office computers). I did have great help with support though, and was able to access the same info on the app, although the app is not as easy to use on a phone as the full screen website on a computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For small business that are looking to save time and headaches definitely use the Payroll features as well as Tax Pay services. Probably one of the biggest values we get is the Tax pay, it saves us the worry of having to do the Tax Pay ourselves and if issues do arrive, Paychex handles it and keeps us informed. Their HR program is also phenomenal!

It helps streamline the whole payroll process so much. There's a great support team at Paychex to respond fast when I have any questions and I can access reports later on online which saves me from digging through paper files.

Paychex Flex review by Manjunath A.
Manjunath A.

"Paychex Flex Review"

What do you like best?

Very simple and easy to use application. It is very easy to provide / check the payroll details, update timesheets, W2 / taxation details, break-down of all the pay benefits.

Easy to generate reports of the all the different entities.

The tax calculations and submission is pretty simple.

The direct deposit functionality works really well, where in you can provide the users with the ability to add multiple bank accounts in order to break the salary up.

What do you dislike?

The UI of paycheck flex is not very interesting. The UI of the pay roll information can be significantly changed to better highlight the ability of the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Paychex is a promising application which has a lot of potential. The application is very easy to use for the users, you will hardly need any training before you go live with the implementation of paychex.

I have used paxchex flex for Reporting time sheets, storing the pary roll information of the employees, providing pay checks for the employees which can be later downloaded by the employees.

Paychex Flex review by Sarah K.
Sarah K.

"The best Payroll software"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of processing payroll is wonderful. I love how quickly I can gather the reports needed for my CPA, without searching through data to find exactly what is needed.

What do you dislike?

If it had more integration with other software, that would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a Payroll Service to be a PARTNER with you and help your business grow, Paychex Flex is the right solution for all your small business needs. They offer retirement benefits, health benefits, HR Solutions, etc. They truly are the one stop shop for all your business needs.

Paychex Flex gives me the freedom to run my business without having to worry about tax payments, or deductions etc. It also allows to me provide my staff with 401 K easy online access to update their plan. HR Generalist services allow me to reduce my overhead cost but still provide my business with all of it's HR needs.

Paychex Flex review by Morez K.
Morez K.

"Paychex is a good start for small businesses with little experience in payroll."

What do you like best?

Paychex is affordable if using the basic features of operating payroll. The web features are simple and requires a two step log-in verification process for extra security.

What do you dislike?

Paychex caters to small business and may assigned you a local expert as your point-of-contact. Not all times this person may be available when needed. In addition, Paychex wants to ensure the product is used correctly... However, this may require needing permission to make changes to your payroll features such as changing dates, company info, and etc. Some people may enjoy the benefits of having extra security when logging in, but after a while it can delay things having to keep verifying yourself and your computer just because a change in IP on the network happens. Paychex also charge a premium on next-day processing for payroll.

Recommendations to others considering the product

What is the size of your business? Paychex may have better features that caters to small businesses. However, how much control you want when it comes to your payroll? Paychex may not be for big businesses that may want more control over their payroll. However, if you need baby steps, paychex will help guide you to the right direction and ensure your payroll remain error free.

Our company is currently using Paychex Flex to process payroll, issues reports, and process paystubs for employees.

Paychex Flex review by Petra F.
Petra F.

"A must for small and large businesses"

What do you like best?

Using Paycheck Flex provides the ease of setting up general hours/overtime.

From there it's always a simple click to process payroll.

Paychex takes care of all tax reporting and deductions. It is almost like having them on staff as they don't miss a beat.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike! We value the support by our Paychex account manager who takes care of everything!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a total payroll package, Paychex will be that answer for you. Paytoll, reporting, taxes, etc. is all done for you and you can rest easy.

Paychex is a huge time saver for me. With a simple couple of clicks, payroll is done and submitted.

Staying in federal and state compliance with taxes and reporting are the biggest benefits for me. Paychex is on top of it and I don't have to worry.

Paychex Flex review by Andraya Y.
Andraya Y.

"Not the Easiest to Navigate Platform"

What do you like best?

At my organization we use Paychex Flex for a retirement service. It is convenient to be able to manage retirement online, and easy to login, make rollovers, requests loans etc.

What do you dislike?

The platform itself is not very user intuitive. At my last job we used the Principal Financial and the online platform and quarterly statements were so easy to use and understand. I've been using Paychex for nearly 3 years and when new staff members come on board I usually volunteer to help them get set up and navigate the platform. It's hard to tell how much the automated service is costing, how much you are putting in vs. return on investments. I wish we would switch to a different system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perhaps for other features Paychex Flex is a good system, however for using it for retirement, it is sorely lacking in user friendliness, ease of understanding where and how your money is doing and tools to help you make good financial decisions.

We use Paychex as a platform for managing retirement, it gets the job done but isn't very user friendly. There could be other aspects of Paychex that work really well, but the retirement portion is cumbersome and difficult to navigate. I also don't get quarterly statements (emailed or in the mail) about how my retirement is doing, or help offered as to if my funds are on track. At the Principal, these were normal features that I took for granted and really miss.

Paychex Flex review by Tammy S.
Tammy S.

"Great customer service experience"

What do you like best?

I can call in anytime for any type of payroll question and my payroll specialist always has the correct answer at her fingertips and if she doesn't she always gets back to me.

What do you dislike?

Haven't ran into anything that has set off red flags for me yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like the program overall; they will send out support to get you up and running and you have a dedicated specialist to any any questions you may have.

My entire staff is on direct deposit. I like that my company is able to save money by not having the paper paystubs sent to our office. Each employee have their own user names and passwords to get their own paystubs.

Paychex Flex review by John Z.
John Z.

"Mostly Great"

What do you like best?

As a payroll provider, I enjoy the overall ease of use with the online experience. I also enjoy that we have a single Payroll Specialist, as opposed to a different person every time I need assistance.

What do you dislike?

The updates with entering payroll online are an annoyance. While not opposed to change, it seems you can't get used to one format before a small tweak is being made to it. The customization feature does not feel user friendly. It seems like there needs to be more forethought, or more time spent in focus groups before laying it out to everyone at once.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure they can accommodate your needs as an employer.

Less time spent on payroll.

Paychex Flex review by Administrator

"116 Green Holdings customer service review"

What do you like best?

I really like the level of customer service Paychex provides. We unfortunately just lost our rep (Misty Parker) who was an amazing employee, and helped us tremendously in our desperate times. Even when Misty was out of the office, she always responded to emails and made sure that someone would be able to respond and help us with our situation as soon as possible.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Paychex is slightly expensive for our small business. Some of the updates have made the user interface a little harder to use, but with time I think we will get acquainted with it. I have used a few other payroll companies, and I think Paychex is easy to use and headed in the right direction. I would like to know how to use the mobile version. I honestly did not know using Paychex mobile was an option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this service to small businesses that need assistance with payroll.

We have realized so many benefits, and really enjoy the streamlining Paychex offers for switching from business to business.

Paychex Flex review by Marvin L. C.
Marvin L. C.

"Timely and very accurate production of documents and information."

What do you like best?

The consistent accuracy of documents and effortless requirements on my part.

What do you dislike?

I have not had an experience that I could describe as disliking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would very highly recommend Paychex to any business interested in outsourcing their payroll to a professional company with whom you can trust will do the job right, do it on time, and keep you informed of any changes you need to be made aware of in dealing with payroll issues.

I don't have any worries, and have not had any worries, as to the nuances of payroll. I simply provide the numbers and Paychex has always ensured my payroll complies with the regulations and requirements of payroll. No figuring, no double-checking, and no errors in any of the payroll process. Having this area of my business professionally taken care of allows me to focus on what I do, my daily business, without any worries or concerns as to any issues of withholdings, payment of taxes, timeliness, accuracy, nor any time deadlines or requirements on my part.

Paychex Flex review by Cynthia V.
Cynthia V.

"Pleasantly Surprised"

What do you like best?

I come from a background using another payroll company for over 10 years. I was very skeptical at first working for a new company that didn't use the same payroll company I had worked with in the past. I was pleasantly surprised at how similar the two platforms were and how adaptive the Paychex platform was. When we wanted to make some internal changes on how we did things, Paychex Flex allowed us to make the changes with ease. On the few occasions I had issues, the support staff at Paychex was awesome to work with and assisted in fixing the problems almost immediately.

What do you dislike?

I think the main thing I dislike is the amount of clicks it takes to get to some places.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your due diligence. Make sure the platform does all that you will be required to do with your payroll.

One main "problem" we solved was streamlining our expense payment process. We now have a non-taxable reimbursement set up on our payroll, so we can include employee expense reimbursements, with their paycheck direct deposits.

"Very user friendly!! "

What do you like best?

I like that the interface is very easy to use and documents are readily available!! I also appreciate having instant access to information and not needing paper copies. The system can be accessed from anywhere, which is the best part. It has changed the way that I work I often have to access data on the go and this allows me to do that from my phone, laptop, and desktop. I used to be with a payroll company that only provided hard copies of the data and it became very difficult at times, especially when I was not in the office and I needed information quickly. This software has really solved my issues!!

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes slow and doesn't load properly. I have to reload the documents in order to view them. Also, it is hard to know where certain documents are. The documents that I view regularly are easy to obtain, but sometimes when I need to find other data, it can be confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will make your life easier! If you need to view documents from outside the office, paychex flex is a really great way to do it. Their app is also excellent!!

I'm able to work remotely and access documents from anywhere! It has made my life much easier and I am able to work when I am at home and send information on the go. I have used this feature many times and it is a lifesaver. I can also get employee data quickly and answer their questions on the spot, which makes us all very happy!

Paychex Flex review by Jackie R.
Jackie R.

"Paychex = Peace of Mind"

What do you like best?

I love the convenience of Paychex Flex. Regardless of the day, night, time, I can review my paychex activity. Not everyone is able to work 9-5 and it makes my office job much easier having all of my info avail 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

What do you dislike?

What do I dislike???? There really isn't anything that I can think of that I dislike. Any issues can always be resolved quickly. I dislike that I have to always wait for a security text even though I always log in from the same computer. I know its for security purposes

Recommendations to others considering the product

Paychex is always a pleasure to deal with, we have insurance as well as payroll services through Paychex and it simplifies everything for us

I stay on top of my payroll and reporting with Paychex Flex. Instant accessibility is wonderful. When one of our employees or our accountant needs any payroll info it is instantly accessible

Paychex Flex review by Darlene C.
Darlene C.

"BEST payroll company yet!!"

What do you like best?

Payroll is the only feature we use currently. I like the overall look and ease of moving around from screen to screen, the ease of entering/changing information. The security is top notch with several levels to log in. I like the ease of switching from client to client.

What do you dislike?

I can't seem to keep the custom payroll view I want no matter what I do. I've made inquiries to support on how to fix this, but to no avail. This is my only complaint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have only used one other payroll company, but Paychex Flex left them in the dust.

Payroll is much easier using Paychex Flex along with the reporting and yearly tax information. Response time is much better with this company than our last. Rates are also better as well; better discounts offered.

Paychex Flex review by Adela D.
Adela D.

"Time Saver, and Less Headache"

What do you like best?

The ability of doing everything online from any location. Should I have a question their staff is more than willing to help! Even with trouble shooting, I could not be happier. I have tried other Payroll companies in the past and received nothing but headaches from them! I am more than thankful for their services.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far, all has been well on this end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give them a try, they are one if not the one top leader of Payroll Industry. They make life much easier, and would recommend them!

The luxury of having everything at my finger tips, and being able see real time reports.

Paychex Flex review by Leonard B.
Leonard B.

"Paychex is easy to use"

What do you like best?

We actually use "Preview" here, not Flex, but I can only assume the upgrade is just as easy to use. I learned how to process payrolls in a couple months, and based solely on this real world example, I would recommend this product to anyone needing a payroll solution. The timekeeping module works seamlessly with the payroll module, and most companies will say this isn't always the case.

What do you dislike?

Like every software program there are tiny quirks. When you change a Federal W-4 from single to married, it will change the State whether you want it to or not. Preview box doesn't always pop up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use the old version called Preview. It's easy to use. I'm assuming Flex is only better.

It runs our payroll every two weeks. It pays our federal, state and local tax liabilities. And they handle our unemployment mailings and garnishment payments. It is a one stop shop for payroll.

"Best response team"

What do you like best?

No matter what my problem, the person I speak to helps to the best of their ability. My rep Elizabeth always knows who I am and is able to et me exactly what I need to run my payroll.

What do you dislike?

Format for doing payroll changes too often. I understand having to update the systems for security, but could you not leave the process of saying who gets paid what the same?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Paychex is the best to help you. You have an assigned agent for every different task that you need and they are all knowledgeable and happy to help

HR-help with policies and hiring techniques.My HR rep Sonia spent months helping me get our policies exactly as I want them. She calls to make sure there is or isn't anything she can help with and has giving me books and examples to guide my hiring process

Paychex Flex review by User in Medical Practice
User in Medical Practice

"Improved efficiency and time savings"

What do you like best?

The ease of and time savings associated with transferring time card information into the payroll processing.

What do you dislike?

Schedule and Time off requests are not as flexible as I had hoped. The system has a variety of functionality but not necessarily geared towards our wants and needs eg cannot manipulate schedule formatting to our liking

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you thoroughly explain your company needs & policies and take your time with the implementation. The system has some glitches that need to be worked out but they are very receptive to your issues and concerns, Also, I found it necessary to request a different implementation specialist because I felt my initial specialist was unfamiliar with the system and was not able to understand my questions or our company needs. They were very understanding and accommodating and my implementation proceeded smoother and with less issues than I was encountering.

I have been able to improve my efficiency & productivity. Less data entry for payroll processing and our PTO calculations is also being done through Paychex Flex eliminating manual tracking. Employees have real time access to their available PTO.

Paychex Flex review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Paychex Flex Review"

What do you like best?

I like that the payroll, tax, and PTO information is all in one place, and that each employee is able to have their own access to view their individual balances.

What do you dislike?

I am not at all happy with the changes to the payroll data entry process. It now saves the entered information every time you change fields, which slows the whole process down considerably. I also don't like the abbreviated entry area. I want to be able to see all information entered for each employee at once, without needing so many clicks. It takes me triple the time to enter payroll now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to understand what the benefits are, and be aware that changes are made that are beyond your control.

Paychex makes our tax payments each payroll and produces our W-2s in January. I feel like it is completed accurately and timely.

Paychex Flex review by Liz S.
Liz S.

"New employee"

What do you like best?

I just started a job in a new town and they use this system. It is just about the easiest system I have seen yet. Everything is in one spot.

What do you dislike?

I have not noticed anything that I do not like since I am just now getting to know the program. I'm sure there are things that other people do not like but so far I have not found any thing. Great so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even though I just started using this application because I was just hired, I can see why this company is using it; it is so easy to use! I would recommend anyone that needs payroll, time tracking, Human Resources, and other services to check this application out for your company.

From what I can see, we are solving communication with Human Resources, viewing paystubs since everything is direct deposit now, viewing important documents, being able to sign things online, and our time cards.

Paychex Flex review by George J.
George J.

"Fast and Efficient Payroll Processing"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to send in my timesheets and have my payroll person take care of it. They save me a ton of time by doing all of the quarterly and year-end taxes.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I particularly dislike about this service. My payroll specialist is very attentive and very thorough in their work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you have a process implemented by which to send them your timesheets. We use an excel spreadsheet and that is the only manual portion of the whole process.

The main benefit is the fact that they handle all of the tax portion of the payroll.

Paychex Flex review by Alana G.
Alana G.

"Easy to use, Most of the time really good service"

What do you like best?

Payroll Specialist assigned to you and that is your go to person. Most of the time you get a hold of them very quickly. With payroll sometimes you have a limited time of the day to get things done and its great to have a go-to person.

They really do try to cater to you and make sure you are helped.

What do you dislike?

The sales people they try to push things onto you. Personal experience had a guy trick the owner into signing something. Didn't know he was signing a contract. An hour after the sale guy left got a call to setup account. Owner said i didn't sign up for anything. Cancelled. Reached out to the sales guy who was told to not push anything through but he did it anyways. Long story short, they took the money out. Was promised a credit had to fight nearly 4 months to get it. Then only got a minimal amount back. Had to call manager's managers and raise hell to get the full 3500 they stole from our account.

Long story short, do not meet sales people then you won't be tricked into something you didn't sign up for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You get a live person right away, no sitting on hold for hours. Easy to use online

Not much benefit. A Payroll company is a payroll company. Its finding one that values their clients that is the hard part.

Paychex Flex review by Yolanda B.
Yolanda B.

"No longer supportive of Paychex brand as a whole"

What do you like best?

As a payroll service, Paychex does what it is supposed to do.

What do you dislike?

If I'd continued utilizing their payroll service only, I would probably still be a satisfied customer. However, the implementation of Time and Attendance (T&A) has left me extremely disappointed in Paychex as brand. It clearly feels like Paychex purchased/developed T&A with no true thought about how the products would work together. For products that are supposed to be "integrated", I spend a lot of time adding things in Payroll then linking in T&A.

The implementation representative kept pushing for us to go live, even though I insisted I would not move forward and have the staff interact with system until issues had resolved. What was even more disappointing that she didn't seem to care or understand my concern. Rolling out a personnel product that has obvious issues extremely diminishes employee buy-in. Her concern was moving it from implementation to live.

The Payroll team does not know what the T&A team do and vice versa which leaves the customer in the middle of trying to sort it out.

We went live with T&A in April and with every payroll we are more disappointed in the integration and instead of complaining to the representatives, will be looking for a new service provider.

(1) while time and attendance indicates overtime it creates an error when pulled over and has to be manually calculated within payroll, (2) while time and attendance indicates unpaid leave it has to be manually calculated, (3) while time and attendance reflects job allocation it became unassigned in payroll, (4) creating/saving reports is fairly useless since you can't edit the date range later, it's permanently based on the date(s) when creating the report.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a payroll provider, Paychex does what it is intended to do. However, it you're implementing other products, please do your research and talk with references that are using the product.

We needed a tool that would automate the salary allocation and directly import that information into the accounting system. While Paychex Flex does do that, the issues that we have and the work arounds we perform to get to that point the benefit is highly diminished.

Paychex Flex review by Nick H.
Nick H.

"Disappointing is an understatement"

What do you like best?

Our employees receive a paycheck every 2 weeks

What do you dislike?

There isn't enough time to discuss all of what I dislike about Paychex Flex. The inability to create and/or enter future-dated actions is nothing short of ludicrous. Since we pay in arrears (I tend to think most organizations do) and Paychex Flex does not allow us to terminate an employee until their final paycheck is produced, depending on how the payroll period dates and pay dates fall, we may actually be terminating someone from our payroll system up to 3 weeks after the fact. The same goes for putting people on Leave. We have to have them as "Active" until they've received their regular payroll checks so again someone may be out on FMLA for example, but Paychex Flex does not show that until perhaps after their leave is already over and they've returned to work.

The EEO reporting is terrible. The general/custom reporting is not helpful because it pulls in data from multiple sources and none of which matches with each other. The Payroll "side" and "HR" side don't match up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We just completed a complete review of our HRIS system and will be dropping Paychex Flex by the end of the year. I cannot in good faith recommend such a poor product. I've worked in HR for more than 10 years with 3 different organizations and it is by far the worst platform I've ever experienced. Some of the items that should be "no brainers" for HR purposes are simply an afterthought, at best, with Paychex Flex.

We used to run our Payroll in house, but since outsourced it using Paychex Flex so it's helping with tax reporting to an extent. Their ACA reporting does NOT help though!

Paychex Flex review by Marcella H.
Marcella H.

"Best Payroll Service "

What do you like best?

Paychex is such a great payroll service, their website is easily navigated and offers reports for all situations!

What do you dislike?

There are too many numbers to call. I would like to be able to call one person and that person should be able to assist me with my questions and troubles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommended this product to several of my business contacts. I have used other payroll programs in the past and Paychex is the best!

We have employees who clock in at our facility, but we also have several who travel. The mobile clock in makes it easy for the travelers hours to be calculated instead of needing to enter the hours upon their return.

Paychex Flex review by Naomi J.
Naomi J.

"Easy to Use AND Personal"

What do you like best?

We love having a specific person to call! When we have questions, it's nice knowing that at the other end of the line is someone familiar with our account - not just another pencil pusher who doesn't know our particular needs!

What do you dislike?

Not a lot! Sometimes it's challenging when we can't save our payroll with other account users logged in, but that's an easy thing to work around!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Particularly for small to mid-size businesses, Paychex becomes part of your team... for us, that's a valuable asset!

Ease of payroll processing! We also love that it works so well with LCPTracker!

Paychex Flex review by Michelle K.
Michelle K.

"Priceless services"

What do you like best?

I love having the ability to do payroll anytime, online, day or night and the added benefit recently of someone being available to chat 24/7.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that sometimes I get people who are not thoroughly trained or for whatever other reason, I get wrong information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the online payroll rather than trying to make your own system work.

TIME. Online payroll saves so much time! And that is something I never have enough of. I don't have to worry about making calculation mistakes or legal mistakes. Mistakes have been made, but then there was someone to walk me through the process of correction.

Paychex Flex review by Lara L.
Lara L.

"Resource for small businesses that streamlines payroll"

What do you like best?

As an employee, Paychex provides an easy and accessible system to read and review both current paychecks and historical paychecks. I love how the system also has an mobile app for easy referencing. I have no problem navigating the system, and I would recommend this product to organizations that are small in size for easy communication to their employees. This system is also paperless, which is also a plus.

What do you dislike?

There is truly nothing that I dislike about the product, since the needs of the organization in which I work are simple.

No paper is used in the printing and mailing of paychecks or paystubs. There is less risk of identity theft since paper materials are not used. This system reduces costs in both postage, paper usage, employee time and effort, and time reporting. This product encourages efficiency where small businesses need it.

Paychex Flex review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"FLEX makes payroll more efficient and accurate "

What do you like best?

Easy to use and packed with features that make the entire payroll process extremely efficient.

The Hiring module makes onboarding much easier and since the employee enters most of the data errors are less likely from the operations side. Many reports available for quick download. Submitting the biweekly payroll is easy and quick through the online portal. The phone application is very useful and employees get access to all their payroll data so fewer questions and payroll document requests.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if the Workers Comp insurance was integrated and editable via the portal. Still, have to call in to make modifications when hiring and discharging employees from different states.

Streamline our payroll process. Full control over our employee settings, tax settings, payroll settings helps avoid miscommunications and helps build confidence in the results.

Paychex Flex review by Sheryl G.
Sheryl G.

"Flex works well for our company"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of pulling up reports and changing the parameters to customize. The new People experience is easy to work with, although some of the "commands" are not intuitive. Our account manager is great when we have questions or run into trouble.

What do you dislike?

Entering Payroll - Classic was much easier and faster, the templates were a breeze to set up. I get good help from our account rep but don't understand why some of the changes have been made

We currently just use it for Payroll and have loved the flexibility of it.

Paychex Flex review by Administrator

"Paychex Flex is Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to submit payroll via Paychex Flex. I also like being able to quickly make changes in personnel right in my account. It is helpful to be able to run all of my payroll reports before submitting payroll to make sure everything was done correctly

What do you dislike?

I do not like that my Paychex Flex account usually tells me I have more days to complete my payroll than what I actually have. There have been several times I have received an email stating I need to submit my payroll when the site says I still have a few days.

Paychex Flex allows us to easily submit payroll without having to figure all the deductions manually. It also makes it easy to run any required reports for audits, etc.

Paychex Flex review by Kimberly  S.
Kimberly S.

"Practice Manager"

What do you like best?

The knowledge of the team and the efficient nature that they work. The responsiveness of the representative is great, any and all questions I have get answered quickly. After months of working together the comfort level to ask questions and add services has grown.

What do you dislike?

The approach to sell their other services is overwhelming and too much information all at once. A smaller office with no first hand experience could get lost in the shuffle of the "sale" to branch out into other products and services. The pressure of the "discounted" rate or the "bundled" package it a bit much and the approach is pushy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't let the sales pressure overwhelm you. Gradually add on the services you want.

It is nice to have a knowledgeable company work for you to be compliant with payroll and taxes. It is easy to learn as you go knowing the team is behind you making sure that you take the correct steps for your employees and the government. One less thing to worry about when all the overwhelming aspects of running a small business come up.

Paychex Flex review by Administrator in Civil Engineering
Administrator in Civil Engineering

"Financial Manager"

What do you like best?

The concept of it all was really great. We came from doing in-house payroll and manually tracking resumes. We were excited to streamline.

What do you dislike?

Almost everything. It's very clunky to work with. The mobile app doesn't work very well - you have to keep uninstalling and installing for your notifications to work and for check stubs to appear. There is not one file for the the employee since their HR and PR systems are different (meaning you can't look at everything about an employee in one place). You also have to purchase additional licenses to give access to needed areas of the software. You have to purchase offer letters separately, even when you purchase Applicant Tracking and Onboarding. There are just too many "work around's" needed because of all the modules not being from one single platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider other applications. All the features are not Paychex's. They are 3rd party providers that you deal with (MyStaffingPro for example). Paychex also doesn't tell you about all the hidden costs if you need more access. If you have multiple health insurance plans they have a really hard time with that, also with tax coding. If you are even remotely complex I urge you to consider another option. They will not be a good fit for you. We are leaving after being live (with PR & applicant tracking - nothing else is live yet) after 6 months.

We were trying to streamline the process from applicant tracking to onboarding, to payroll. It has created problems that were never there with doing everything in-house. So we have not realized any benefit.

Paychex Flex review by Pam L.
Pam L.

"Fast and accurate service"

What do you like best?

After experiencing payroll through Gusto, I was very hesitant to try another company to do our payroll. However, they have proved me wrong in every aspect of their service. To start with, they came to our business to get us set up and spent hours with us to make sure everything was correct on our first go live. Additionally, we send our payroll to the same person all the time and he is very thorough. He follows through with correcting anything that is wrong. Very friendly and kind.

What do you dislike?

Absolutely nothing! I am a pretty critical employer so that means a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Paychex is a little more expensive than some other payroll companies, but it is well worth it. This is one of those cases where you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, I had to learn that the hard way.

We are a small company that was in desperate need of human resources. We purchased that package which has been extremely helpful Again, I am able to utilize the same person all the time and she will actually come to our company if I need her to help with employee relations. She has helped us develop a new employee handbook, which is very exciting. Paychex is up on all the newest HR law issues and makes sure that we are in compliance.

Paychex Flex review by User

"Paychex Payroll for small business"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the easy online payroll input and analytics & reporting forms makes payroll processing and tracking a snap! Immediate, total cash requirements BEFORE actual processing of checks is very helpful for budget purposes. I also appreciated that I had someone walk me thru the first payroll run to ensure I understood how everything works.

What do you dislike?

so far the systems does what I expect from it and am not disappointed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great product for simple payroll processing for small business owners which allows me more time to deal with other daily activities a small business owner has to manage.

One stop shop for employee payroll services, included processing of the Quarterly Federal & State Tax Returns and Workers Compensation Payments - takes one less worry away for a business owner!

Paychex Flex review by User in Financial Services

"My company uses Paychex Flex and it is alright"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to switch back and forth between two companies that I work for all in the same place, makes it easy that it is all there and I don't have to log out and log back in for another company.

What do you dislike?

I don't love the interface, the program makes it so there are a lot of steps you have to go through in order to do anything (like see all of your paychecks, update something on your 401k, change my FSA account info, etc)

Like I said before, I like that I am able to do a lot of different things in one place. I like that I can check my retirement funds and manage my FSA account all in the same place, so that is really nice.

Paychex Flex review by User

"Best time management tool"

What do you like best?

I like best that we can manage anything to do with payroll, benefits, retirement, etc... We are able to keep all of these in one area and are all easily accessible. We can view all of our paystubs and even print anything we need from Paychex Flex. You can access on a mobile device as well.

What do you dislike?

Having to chose long passwords that we may not remember is a pain and having to re-enter all the login credentials each time you log in. I do not carry a notebook with all my passwords and it would be nice if the mobile app had a pin to log in option so we do not have to enter username and password everytime we log in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this software to manage payroll and human resource related items.

OUr Human Resource department does not have to search for pay stubs or W2 forms nor paid time off. Each employee can go in with their own login credentials to view their personal information at any time they would like.

Paychex Flex review by Leah F.
Leah F.

"Incredible ease of use"

What do you like best?

Paychex made payroll easy and incredibly reliable. The personal attention I received from this company was superb. There was more than one occasion when I have failed to complete some aspect of payroll administration in time, and my Paychex representative was helpful and reassuring. I am immeasurably grateful to this company.

What do you dislike?

I have very few dislikes - the company was personal, responsive, easy to track and understand and had an excellent learning curve. It was easy to learn and easy to teach my replacement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Paychex Flex is an important tool for anyone responsible for administrating payroll and general HR for a company. The support staff at Paychex was important to me for helping me get on board with the tools and features in Paychex. Everything was easy to understand and easy to navigate.

We solved the problem of easy and reliable payroll administration. Paychex Flex allowed us to combine our payroll administration, 401(k) administration, and taxes all in one place. We benefitted enormously from their services and support.

Paychex Flex review by Administrator in Accounting
Administrator in Accounting

"Frustrating and Outdated"

What do you like best?

I like that they have live chat for support, as I often find I need support. I also appreciate that you can do template uploads for new hires, deductions, etc, but I wish it was easier. Wage garnishments are easy as well and I like that they handle payments.

What do you dislike?

The UI is old and clunky, pulling reports is a chore, and not much of the software is intuitive. The reports are particularly frustrating, as whenever I'm looking for reports I need them ASAP and half the time I have to call and get support to email them.

While sometimes I get a good support person, I also find their customer service maddening. We have to ask over and over for things to be taken care of, and staff don't typically volunteer additional information that would be helpful--I have to call back when I discover a secondary problem only to realize that the first person I spoke to could have warned me about it.

We run payroll for a large client on Paychex. I'm hoping to move the client off in the near future.

Paychex Flex review by Administrator

"Paychex Flex Offers Convenience"

What do you like best?

As the administrator, I like being able to input my payroll, make changes and run reports, without having to make a phone call. As an employee, I like being able to make changes and view current balances in benefit accounts. The very best thing is that all the information is in one place.

What do you dislike?

I do not like having my personal account joined to my administrator account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Paychex Flex allows you to manage payroll and benefits all in one place. By using it as an administrator, it allows me to train employees to use it more easily. My Paychex payroll and HR specialists offer great support when I have questions.

Submitting payroll online saves time and reduces errors. Going paperless allows me to print only the reports I need to document each payroll. Also, I can access reports very soon after submitting payroll, so I can post it to the general ledger at my convenience. Allowing employees to access all their payroll and information benefits directly, and to manage their own accounts, saves me an enormous amount of time.

Paychex Flex review by Desiree H.
Desiree H.

"Paychex has saved my sanity"

What do you like best?

The FRIENDLY service and the promo responses. Even when we had a problem with a payroll period, it was resolved in a timely manner.

What do you dislike?

The website is not as intuitive as I would like. It took some time to get used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend! The service has been superior and the problems (relative to other services we use as a business) are minimal to non existent. This will save you a tremendous amount of time and it is very affordable considering the cost.

It is saving me a ton of time and stress with payroll and employee tracking. I do not worry about many things I was worried about earlier this year.

Paychex Flex review by Danielle P.
Danielle P.

"Disastrous Implementation in January"

What do you like best?

Theoretically, Paychex Flex integrates with many other Paychex offerings such as health benefits and 401k, providing a one-stop-shop app where you can run everything. I also like that the reporting is pretty robust. The Readychex offering is great, enabling all payroll to come out at once rather than waiting for employee checks to roll in. The app is nice looking when it isn't slow.

What do you dislike?

Paychex the company does not seem ready to handle the many different offerings available for one app, especially at the busiest time of year. For every offering you have to deal with a different specialist, first an implementation specialist, then a more permanent specialist. So one implementation specialist for payroll, one for health, one for the general ledger service, one of retirement services, one for HR who doesn't really do anything etc. And then you'll be transferred to someone else for each department after a few weeks. Maybe this would be tolerable if setup went smoothly but they all make many, many mistakes.

The app is not very intuitive and in many ways Paychex encourages you to contact your specialist (depending on which department you need) for everything. So if you prefer to just handle things yourself, especially when you can probably do it better, you're not going to get that with this app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not take on too many of their services at once, even though that's the main reason to use Paychex Flex. They can't handle the implementation. If you sign up, carefully check everything they do, because they made many mistakes in our implementation. My main recommendation is use something else. Even ADP was better.

It created many more problems than it solved and cost a lot of money in the process. There were no benefits.

"Paychex Flex Review"

What do you like best?

I like that the look and feel of the program. I also like that you can use it for multiple companies interchangeably. Once you get the feel for payroll it runs simply

What do you dislike?

It definitely takes time to learn to move around the program. It is not always common sense and some things that should be a quick click take extra effort just to locate

Recommendations to others considering the product

Paychex Flex should listen to their customers and add the needed report functions. We also should receive a backup of all of our old information so we don't have to call or email someone every time we need access to our old files. The implementation team should receive better training- since the switch to Flex we have run into countless problems because of lack of communication on their part.

We use Paychex Flex for payroll and commissions which is easy to use together or separately. We also use it to run reports about all of our employees.

Learn more about Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex Videos

Learning about Paychex Flex?

* We monitor all Paychex Flex reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.