PayScale

PayScale

PayScale Insight offers a modern compensation software that gives organizations the ability to track and analyze their comp strategy with fresh salary data.

Work for PayScale?

Learning about PayScale?

PayScale Reviews

Ask PayScale a Question
Showing 102 PayScale reviews
PayScale review by <span>Nicole K.</span>
Nicole K.

"Great for HR purposes, Not so great for Research purposes"

What do you like best?

I like that PayScale is extremely user-friendly. I was able to figure out how to use it efficiently without much help from outside parties.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike has nothing to do with the product itself but for the purposes I need it for. I use it for Research purposes (University Advancement) and it is evident that it is much better suited for HR purposes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend PayScale to other organizations who needed it for HR purposes. I think it is helpful with what I do however, we use it to supplement other wealth findings through other resources.

We use PayScale to try and estimate salaries of some of our wealthiest alumni. It has been great in giving us an estimated salary however, it's just that-- an ESTIMATED salary. We don't put all of our weight in to that number but combine it with other wealth findings through different products we use.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about PayScale
PayScale review by <span>Kendra F.</span>
Kendra F.

"Great comp data, resources, and customer service"

What do you like best?

PayScale was able to help us create a pay structure backed by solid data which was helpful for our small HR team. We are also entering new markets and competing for different types of talent - PayScales real time data has been able to keep up with our growing organization. I also really appreciate the level customer service I receive, everyone is knowledgeable and willing to jump in and help when I need it. PayScale has wonderful resources such as their blog, webinars, trainings, and their annual Compference. I am really looking forward to the things to come from PayScale!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the site can be slow and it took me a little while to learn how to navigate the site but once I got the hang of it, it's actually very user friendly. Also, because we are a smaller biotechnology company we have a lot of unique jobs/hybrid jobs, so it isn't always easy to match a job. A huge dislike of mine is that it does not integrate with our HRIS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PayScale will be a great addition to your comp strategy if you are looking for real time, validated data! Keep your job descriptions up to date so that you can make sure you are paying your employees competitively.

We have been able to educate our managers on our compensation philosophy and showing them how we get the data and what the market is paying. This has helped us develop our own level of transparency and empowers managers and employees. We also feel more confident that we are paying our employees competitively. The reporting has also allowed us to automate some processes when our executive team requests certain information when making decisions.

What Compensation Management solution do you use?

PayScale review by <span>Damien S.</span>
Damien S.

"Not worth the expense for a small Business"

What do you like best?

The people were nice, but overall they produced reports that were not relevant to us, they asked for data and the dashboard ended up being a mess and not worth the time for us to try and deal with. The promises of what we would be able to use from the data did not materialize. Not good for a small business that does not have a person to dedicate part of their job to this task.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't matter how the service performs for you, your locked into a 3 year service contract, and if you don't follow instructions on cancellation they want every dime whether you see a value for it or not. I think that ultimately the fact that they demand all of the money for the 3 year contract is an important fact to consider if you are signing up for their service. If your under 25 employees, I wouldn't sign up for it, all of the reports have huge variances on compensation, you can manipulate the data to get the number you want, so I see very little value in it. But in the end I will be paying the $6000 billed to run about 20 reports because I didn't give a full 30 day notice. Even if I would have gotten the 40 day notice in I still would have paid 50%. The emails you get don't match the fine print. Again if your a small business I would stay far away from this service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't buy as a small business, it may be a benefit to a larger organization with more standardized job descriptions.

None, the data can be manipulated easily to get a desired result, they say they shoot for a 70% match.

PayScale review by <span>Patti P.</span>
Patti P.

"Great Comp Resource"

What do you like best?

One of my favorite things about PayScale is the "vibe" of the resource and the website. I, of course, am thrilled at the utility of the information as well, but the site is so user-friendly and accessible!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is hard to find the right match to a job without a lot of detail added, but I don't know that would be different on any site of this nature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The biggest negative you have to address is that the data is self-reported. Some clients feel that might not be as accurate or is inflated. I have found that the data is pretty accurate, assuming you do the work to ensure you have a good match. I have compared it to other survey data and find it to be essentially the same.

I am a consultant that provides salary surveys and compensation programs for clients. PayScale allows me to find solid and accurate comparator information with relative ease.

PayScale review by <span>Cindy L.</span>
Cindy L.

"Fairly Intuitive Interface, Great Customer Service, and Wonderful Community"

What do you like best?

I love the online community, blogs, ebooks, etc. that PayScale produces. I'm constantly learning and improving my understanding of compensation administration and strategy. Before PayScale, I did not anticipate enjoying compensation administration. The online community PayScale has created makes it interesting and empowers me with the information I need to achieve our compensation objectives. I have the Benchmarking Tier, and I love how flexible the reports are. I can tweak jobs and locations endlessly to understand the full scope of the market.

What do you dislike?

My biggest frustration with PayScale has been when cookies or some sort of tracking tag get stuck on a particular page, and I end up in a loop as I try to make edits to a report. Also, while I find the interface fairly easy to use, some of my senior leadership has had difficulties when making and saving edits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When examining them, have their team pull a report for you based on a job description and take the opportunity to use the interface for yourself. To use PayScale well, you will need to have clear job descriptions with responsibilities, tasks and objectives since titles may not be the same across companies.

As our company grows and diversifies in practices, we needed help benchmarking our salaries for various roles as well as identifying the range available for growth. We wanted data that would make sense for companies of our size, in our industry as an agency that's private, and for Seattle. Since adopting PayScale, we now have the ability to provide greater transparency to our team about salary which has led to greater engagement. We're also in the process of starting an office in Virginia, a region for which we don't have any understanding of the salary market. Having PayScale is allowing us to set realistic and trustworthy budgets without having to talk to a consultant.

PayScale review by <span>Jason M.</span>
Jason M.

"Compensation Data that Makes a Difference"

What do you like best?

PayScale is particularly suited for mid-sized organizations which don't have the typical resources of an enterprise solution. The setup for jobs and structures provide several areas for customization, such as niche licensing, that may affect compensation. It's also helpful with better defining existing positions that have further developed over time. For example, we just transitioned a job class to a new assistant manager class partially based on the descriptions provided by PayScale.

What do you dislike?

Integration with our HRIS would be ideal. Would also like to see more focused resources to provide to senior leaders who make most of the final calls.

PayScale has allowed us to better target our compensation strategy, which has reigned in managers who were increasing pay MUCH quicker than necessary. The changes we've made over the past couple of years have allowed us to pinpoint areas of need. For example, we adjusted our starting pay for our primary job class and reduced turnover from over 60% to under 30% in 18 months

Learn more about PayScale

PayScale Videos

Learning about PayScale?

* We monitor all PayScale reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.