PayScale

PayScale

PayScale Insight offers a modern compensation software that gives organizations the ability to track and analyze their comp strategy with fresh salary data.

Work for PayScale?

Learning about PayScale?

PayScale Reviews

Ask PayScale a Question
Showing 108 PayScale reviews
PayScale review by Erick J.
Erick J.

"No more guessing on market data, PayScale provides a one-stop shop."

What do you like best?

PayScale Insight data is populated via our BambooHR system, so it requires no dual-entry. Also, we review monthly, trends in market pay in an emerging tech town. The comp report provides such a robust tool to our leadership team to be able to talk compensation with our employees. Not only does the report provide information on where they are compared to the market, but also where they are in our pay bands. Raise Recommender is such a great tool, it makes a process that used to be tons of spreadsheets seamless.

What do you dislike?

Presently the Insight is a bit slow, but we are in the process of updating to Insight Lab soon to address.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to them, the team has always been helpful in getting questions answered.

Attracting talent and keeping them, we have been able to rule out that our pay is a factor. We have gained so much from being able to turn compensation discussion, which has always been difficult, into something that is becoming positive.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about PayScale
PayScale review by Nicole K.
Nicole K.

"Great for HR purposes, Not so great for Research purposes"

What do you like best?

I like that PayScale is extremely user-friendly. I was able to figure out how to use it efficiently without much help from outside parties.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike has nothing to do with the product itself but for the purposes I need it for. I use it for Research purposes (University Advancement) and it is evident that it is much better suited for HR purposes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend PayScale to other organizations who needed it for HR purposes. I think it is helpful with what I do however, we use it to supplement other wealth findings through other resources.

We use PayScale to try and estimate salaries of some of our wealthiest alumni. It has been great in giving us an estimated salary however, it's just that-- an ESTIMATED salary. We don't put all of our weight in to that number but combine it with other wealth findings through different products we use.

What Compensation Management solution do you use?

PayScale review by Kendra F.
Kendra F.

"Great comp data, resources, and customer service"

What do you like best?

PayScale was able to help us create a pay structure backed by solid data which was helpful for our small HR team. We are also entering new markets and competing for different types of talent - PayScales real time data has been able to keep up with our growing organization. I also really appreciate the level customer service I receive, everyone is knowledgeable and willing to jump in and help when I need it. PayScale has wonderful resources such as their blog, webinars, trainings, and their annual Compference. I am really looking forward to the things to come from PayScale!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the site can be slow and it took me a little while to learn how to navigate the site but once I got the hang of it, it's actually very user friendly. Also, because we are a smaller biotechnology company we have a lot of unique jobs/hybrid jobs, so it isn't always easy to match a job. A huge dislike of mine is that it does not integrate with our HRIS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PayScale will be a great addition to your comp strategy if you are looking for real time, validated data! Keep your job descriptions up to date so that you can make sure you are paying your employees competitively.

We have been able to educate our managers on our compensation philosophy and showing them how we get the data and what the market is paying. This has helped us develop our own level of transparency and empowers managers and employees. We also feel more confident that we are paying our employees competitively. The reporting has also allowed us to automate some processes when our executive team requests certain information when making decisions.

PayScale review by Damien S.
Damien S.

"Not worth the expense for a small Business"

What do you like best?

The people were nice, but overall they produced reports that were not relevant to us, they asked for data and the dashboard ended up being a mess and not worth the time for us to try and deal with. The promises of what we would be able to use from the data did not materialize. Not good for a small business that does not have a person to dedicate part of their job to this task.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't matter how the service performs for you, your locked into a 3 year service contract, and if you don't follow instructions on cancellation they want every dime whether you see a value for it or not. I think that ultimately the fact that they demand all of the money for the 3 year contract is an important fact to consider if you are signing up for their service. If your under 25 employees, I wouldn't sign up for it, all of the reports have huge variances on compensation, you can manipulate the data to get the number you want, so I see very little value in it. But in the end I will be paying the $6000 billed to run about 20 reports because I didn't give a full 30 day notice. Even if I would have gotten the 40 day notice in I still would have paid 50%. The emails you get don't match the fine print. Again if your a small business I would stay far away from this service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't buy as a small business, it may be a benefit to a larger organization with more standardized job descriptions.

None, the data can be manipulated easily to get a desired result, they say they shoot for a 70% match.

PayScale review by Patti P.
Patti P.

"Great Comp Resource"

What do you like best?

One of my favorite things about PayScale is the "vibe" of the resource and the website. I, of course, am thrilled at the utility of the information as well, but the site is so user-friendly and accessible!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is hard to find the right match to a job without a lot of detail added, but I don't know that would be different on any site of this nature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The biggest negative you have to address is that the data is self-reported. Some clients feel that might not be as accurate or is inflated. I have found that the data is pretty accurate, assuming you do the work to ensure you have a good match. I have compared it to other survey data and find it to be essentially the same.

I am a consultant that provides salary surveys and compensation programs for clients. PayScale allows me to find solid and accurate comparator information with relative ease.

PayScale review by Cindy L.
Cindy L.

"Fairly Intuitive Interface, Great Customer Service, and Wonderful Community"

What do you like best?

I love the online community, blogs, ebooks, etc. that PayScale produces. I'm constantly learning and improving my understanding of compensation administration and strategy. Before PayScale, I did not anticipate enjoying compensation administration. The online community PayScale has created makes it interesting and empowers me with the information I need to achieve our compensation objectives. I have the Benchmarking Tier, and I love how flexible the reports are. I can tweak jobs and locations endlessly to understand the full scope of the market.

What do you dislike?

My biggest frustration with PayScale has been when cookies or some sort of tracking tag get stuck on a particular page, and I end up in a loop as I try to make edits to a report. Also, while I find the interface fairly easy to use, some of my senior leadership has had difficulties when making and saving edits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When examining them, have their team pull a report for you based on a job description and take the opportunity to use the interface for yourself. To use PayScale well, you will need to have clear job descriptions with responsibilities, tasks and objectives since titles may not be the same across companies.

As our company grows and diversifies in practices, we needed help benchmarking our salaries for various roles as well as identifying the range available for growth. We wanted data that would make sense for companies of our size, in our industry as an agency that's private, and for Seattle. Since adopting PayScale, we now have the ability to provide greater transparency to our team about salary which has led to greater engagement. We're also in the process of starting an office in Virginia, a region for which we don't have any understanding of the salary market. Having PayScale is allowing us to set realistic and trustworthy budgets without having to talk to a consultant.

PayScale review by Jason M.
Jason M.

"Compensation Data that Makes a Difference"

What do you like best?

PayScale is particularly suited for mid-sized organizations which don't have the typical resources of an enterprise solution. The setup for jobs and structures provide several areas for customization, such as niche licensing, that may affect compensation. It's also helpful with better defining existing positions that have further developed over time. For example, we just transitioned a job class to a new assistant manager class partially based on the descriptions provided by PayScale.

What do you dislike?

Integration with our HRIS would be ideal. Would also like to see more focused resources to provide to senior leaders who make most of the final calls.

PayScale has allowed us to better target our compensation strategy, which has reigned in managers who were increasing pay MUCH quicker than necessary. The changes we've made over the past couple of years have allowed us to pinpoint areas of need. For example, we adjusted our starting pay for our primary job class and reduced turnover from over 60% to under 30% in 18 months

PayScale review by Lindsay S.
Lindsay S.

"A fantastic PayScale Experience"

What do you like best?

From day one, PayScale has been a dream to work with. Easy to use and easy to implement products, have made my job easier. Manager buy in to using such a straight forward tool (CREW), and our ability to utilize PayScale's Compensation SME's to provide them with up to date market information has been invaluable. PayScale's team is responsive and extremely knowledgeable, and was a very seamless business to business partnership right from the beginning.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about the product or any experience I have had. Anytime feedback has been needed, not only has PayScale asked, but they heard, and made good on the changes needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your end goal is to have a very easy product to use from an end user stand point, the this is an simple as it gets. If additionally, you want a responsive, knowledgeable, and dedicated team assisting you at all times, then this is a product you should immediately consider.

Our main business problem has been establishing both salary ranges and implementing an annual merit process. Both were accomplished. This allowed me to be able to engage managers more easily than a more mechanical process would have allowed. Quick administration led to less review time, and freed my time to tend to the many other work responsibilities I have.

Administrator in Human Resources

"Comp Made Easy - I love Payscale Insight Lab"

What do you like best?

I love the easy access to up-to-date salary surveys.

What do you dislike?

Not enough executive and international comp data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The main administrator should be pretty technically savvy. Vlook-ups are a must when uploading so many spreadsheets in different templates. You should standardize for yourself pretty early which level surveys you should match to different level roles as well as how you assign job codes.

If you do have different level roles, you should be consistent in the surveys you use in your matches. I wish Payscale would let you pull up two jobs at the same time so you could see what surveys you used. For instance, it's very helpful to reference what you matched for an engineer when matching the senior engineer.

If you have multiple locations, then you'll want to look into purchasing geo-differential data. We purchased ours from Mercer since we were matching Mercer surveys in Payscale already.

It is best for base pay. Not everyone consistently submits bonuses, profit share, commission etc, so the total cash compensation data is not consistently viable.

It also is not great on its own for executive pay. There just aren't enough surveys, so you would probably need to purchase that data separately.

Payscale has been integral in us building a comprehensive compensation program. With their help, we have been able to market price all our jobs and roll out our first compensation training for leaders.

PayScale review by Bonnie G.
Bonnie G.

"A Great tool even for Compensation Experts!"

What do you like best?

What I like about PayScale, as a Compensation Professional, is that the tool allows you to match each job based on the skills. The market value of that particular set of skills is found. Even the "hard to match" jobs aren't a challenge because you are looking at the skills more than the "title" of the job.

What do you dislike?

It's frustrating when the job doesn't have as much Market Value as expected. (no fault of PayScale)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I was hesitant at first, as a Compensation Professional...but as soon as I learned the sources, the ease of entering my jobs and getting the Market Pay results, I was sold! This is a great product!

Bringing Market Pay for jobs up-to-date. I've learned to use the tool better the longer I use it.

PayScale review by Liz D.
Liz D.

"Greetings from Comptopia!"

What do you like best?

It's hard to pick just one thing!

First, the data is amazing and live. There's no need to wait for annual survey data that's outdated by the time you get it.

I love, love, love the support that my clients and I get from the PayScale team. Their customer service is first rate. The system itself is very user-friendly, but it's great to have support when I have a question or need to upload a lot of employee information.

What do you dislike?

I've used PayScale for 4 years and the data just keeps getting better and better.

We use it to benchmark industrial/manufacturing/distribution jobs across the country. It was an eye-opener for managers who were used to pay methods from 20 years ago (bonus plans, commissions, etc.). It's been very helpful to identify "hot" jobs and markets so we can keep up with competitive pay rates.

PayScale review by Dana M.
Dana M.

"Great support and customer service with reliable data"

What do you like best?

As a solo HR practitioner, I take help where ever I can find it. PayScale is a great partner. I send in my current data and they upload it into PayScale ensuring accurate matches for job descriptions and labor market comparisons. This is a valuable time saver.

What do you dislike?

I find the website a little difficult to navigate. However, I can always call my PayScale rep to get help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend you use PayScale. They offer reliable data, expertly validated, strong reporting features for use with your decision makers and proactive customer support.

PayScale provides reliable data for me to present to managers and the President. We are more confident in our pay ranges. The reports are easy to read. Downloading into Excel allows me to formulate scenarios and present options.

PayScale review by Administrator

"Great HR Product and even better Customer Service!"

What do you like best?

My favorite part of our comp solution package is the ease of use to create salary ranges and a new comp structure. We have re-vamping and creating new ranges for different groups and it has helped tremendously vs. creating everything in excel.

What do you dislike?

I swear I remember being able to search for jobs by keyword, and maybe there is a way and I am just not seeing it, but it would help a lot to find the best matches.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely get this product if you are mid-size. For a smaller company with few jobs this most likely will not benefit you as much.

We are creating new structures for our Technical group and for our group in Canada. The solution helps to cut down the time on job matching, and the creation of a structure based on our core structure.

PayScale review by Kris K.
Kris K.

"Good tool for benchmarking, structure and workflow"

What do you like best?

I've been using PayScale for five years, and appreciate the ways it has continued to evolve to add new functionality. It has added both depth of content and efficiency to the way we manage compensation.

What do you dislike?

Benchmarking executive roles, jobs that are unique or have complex compensations structures, or recruit from dissimilar roles can make finding market data difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This can be a great way to move from subjective to data based compensation decisions, as well as automating manual processes.

We've been able to benchmark new roles we are adding to the organization, create pay structures that scale with our growing organization, drive data driven compensation decisions and automate previously manual workflow processes. The dashboards also make it easy to quickly report out on key metrics.

PayScale review by Julie P.
Julie P.

"Great product and customer service."

What do you like best?

My Customer Success Manager, Brian Wallace. He is very responsive to my questions and takes the time to understand our business needs and makes suggestions on how we can you PayScale to its fullest. He even saved me on time when I accidently deleted 700+ labor markets in PayScale! They were all back in the software by the end of the day!

What do you dislike?

To run some report it takes a lot of time, especially if you have a lot of labor markets. Also, with all the changes in minimum wages, it's takes time before the data catches up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The customer service is the best! They are always trying to update and better their product. The training is great too!

In about an hour, we can at any time see where our pay structures are to the market. Before we would have to do it manually by downloading data from of other market pricing software and combining it with our HRIS system into an excel format to look at our pay structures to market. Use to take days!

PayScale review by Jenny S.
Jenny S.

"Great tool for HR Professionals as well as Managers"

What do you like best?

Data is populated through our payroll/HRIS vendor, UltiPro which makes data entry seamless. I love that this tool gives you a high level overview snapshot but you can also drill down into individual jobs and locations to get the most accurate data. The compensation reports are a great tool for Managers to use to have compensation discussions with employees.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I've come across that I don't like yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that if you don’t have time to input new job details into the system, send the job description over to PayScale and have them help out! They are also great in answering any questions you may have.

We use this tool to ensure we are attracting and retaining top talent in our organization.

PayScale review by Brad H.
Brad H.

"Very solid market data (i.e. validated data) and great customer service !"

What do you like best?

PayScale provides VALIDATED market data.

What do you dislike?

Not alot of data specific to our niche space in healthcare, which is our biggest pain point with the product. (But to be fair, we've struggled to find roles specific to population health management industry with other validated vendors, as well.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make certain that others are providing VALIDATED data, and not self-reported market data !

The biggest benefit to us during these first couple of years as a start-up has been access to validated market data at an affordable price. Too many employees (and even managers) look to Salary.com and other self-reported (i.e. not validated, so no organization should place much weight at all on the use of information purportedly gathered from such sites) web sites for market comparisons, and this easily skews an organizations compensation structure if pay is based erroneously on such sources. With PayScale, even though we struggle finding apples-to-apples comparisons for roles in our niche space in healthcare, we can at least maintain a high level of confidence in the data we can find.

Again, during start-up, we've needed to run lean in HR, so it was immensely helpful to have the PayScale team available to assist in setting up our salary grade & range structure.

PayScale review by Vishal N.
Vishal N.

"Must have tool for comp gurus"

What do you like best?

PayScale gives us a diverse set of information which helps us in building in a comprehensive database. The Salary datasets gives a better spectrum of market structure and industry benchmarks. The interface is clean and dashboard gives a holistic picture.

What do you dislike?

I think most of the information provided on the site are crowd sourced. This causes the dat to be skewed and sometimes gives us a slightly distorted view.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PayScale is a great tool for compensation gurus across all geographies. Although the data sometimes tends to be skewed towards min or max of the range, with some filters in place the results will get much better. Overall its a great tool if you are looking for a depth analysis for your Compensation benchmarking, job evaluation or other key projects.

The primary business problem which payscale helps us resolve is toward addressing the attrition. With payscale we get the market trends and it helps us up the ante.

PayScale review by Jeracah L.
Jeracah L.

"PayScale enable our small team to implement a competitive pay structure"

What do you like best?

We only had 2 individuals in HR at the time of our implementation - myself and a Senior HR Generalist. Partnering with PayScale helped us to implement a robust pay structure that would not have been possible to do on our own given our limited resources. They matched all of our jobs, came up with a structure, helped us present to our board, trained our managers, provided employee reports and answered all our questions along the way.

I love the annual refresh, when I get to work with a PayScale compensation expert to take a hard look at where our pay is at to the market, review our issues and come up with a strategy that works for us. I also love that PayScale continues to invest and develop their products based on the feedback they receive from customers.

What do you dislike?

That for the annual refresh, I haven't had the same PayScale comp expert - each year it is a different one.

We have confidence now that we are paying competitively. We have market data to help us determine pay when new positions arise. We are able to be transparent with employees on their pay. We have put caps on pay, based on market data, to ensure we are not overpaying. Before, we just had to make our best guess based on very limited data every time a compensation question came up. Also, we have been able to extend to all managers the ability to weigh in on increases for their teams because of how easy PayScale has made this process through Crew. In the past, it just wasn't feasible to do this on multiple Excel spreadsheets, especially when many managers have limited computer experience. This has helped managers get more involved in developing their employees.

PayScale review by User in Computer Software

"Benefits of Payscale for a small company"

What do you like best?

Payscale offers our small company the ability to see market data in real time. It gives us the ability to have data at our fingertips and allows us to make strategic decisions about compensation with data to back it up.

What do you dislike?

I would like to get more training on using the site myself. There is often a middle manager who is in charge of updating data, cleaning it up, and organizing the data. This is a great service for them to offer, but it often takes to long (two-three days) to go through and get back to us. I think this is something I can manage and get faster results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! It will give you a better understanding of how to pay. It will help you make smarter decisions and allow your company, employees, and steakholders to trust that the company is moving in the right direction.

We have done a general overview of the compensation of our company. It has given us the ability to view all employees pay and compare that to what the market is paying based on our comp philosophy. It allows us to make changes to comp where it will often benefits our employees, and it shows our employees that we are concerned about pay and want to be transparent about our direction of where we want to go.

PayScale review by Administrator

"Love the Support from PayScale"

What do you like best?

Our contacts at payscale are truly devoted to their job and help us with enthusiasm! We enjoy working with them throughout the year, and are happy we chose them as our comp. solution. They are always bringing fresh ideas to the table, and validating us when we are hitting the mark.

What do you dislike?

If our job descriptions are not fully complete, jobs may be mismatched. However, this is not a "dislike" per-sea, but rather a result of the very specific industry we are in. Our job descriptions must be spot on for them to receive a proper market analysis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to evaluate how competitively you are paying your employees with regard to the market you are in, geographic location, and based on the details of your jobs, PayScale will be a huge help! Make sure you have detailed job descriptions and continue to update them as each job changes. This will help you evaluate how accurate a market report will be.

We are currently finding a way to keep our highly talented employees from being poached by other companies. We are adjusting our pay bands and job titles to keep our employees excited and motivated to continue to move up in our company. When we realized that this was an issue, PayScale quickly created a project plan for us and walked us through the entire process to make sure we were all on the same page.

PayScale review by Susan H.
Susan H.

"Payscale is a great tool!"

What do you like best?

The Payscale consulting services are excellent, offer fast and effective turnaround times and very responsive to the unique needs the companies I've worked for have had.

What do you dislike?

There is very little I dislike about Payscale. The issues are ones that confront all compensation executives and administrators today - data on equity compensation, benefits, and fringes as these are playing a bigger and bigger role in employee recruitment and retention. In my mind these are all part of the Total Rewards Package and perform a "comp like" function.

For the second time in seven years, in a completely different industry than the first time, I am building an entire compensation philosophy, data base, and system from the ground up. Payscale allows me to do this in a very cost effective way and to do that on an ambitious project timeline!

PayScale review by Kelli H.
Kelli H.

"Great customer service "

What do you like best?

I love the ease of the interface. After one hour of training I was pricing new jobs and analyzing our current workforce with minimal effort.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it's easier to analyze data straight from the template you up load onto the payscale website and I wish it was equally effortless to use the reporting features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask a lot of them. If you have questions, need support, to meet deadlines, etc. Just ask. They have am exceptional team of people that are ready and willing to help your business. Easy vendor to manage and they are a true team member.

Payscale allows us to price our own jobs and manage our compensation internally. Prior to partnering with payscale we were outsourcing this with a big price tag.

PayScale review by Administrator in Wireless
Administrator in Wireless

"Great product. Better for larger companies I think."

What do you like best?

I love having all employee comp data in one place. I love the reports we can run and the comparisons we can do in different markets and with different titles of positions.

What do you dislike?

Because we are so small we don't really need such a robust system and the cost is outweighing the usefulness.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you're ready to commit to the pricing if you are a small company.

We had no formal pay structure prior to using PayScale. Since using the software we have benchmarked all of our positions, we're able to review salary data in our market and other markets at any time, we've used employee reports during reviews, and we really love tracking our comp in one place.

PayScale review by Karin J.
Karin J.

"Director, Human Resources Peliton"

What do you like best?

PayScale offers such a great variety of resources and benefits, it's hard to pick just one that I like best: position benchmarking, timely topic webinars, comp analyitics, etc.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I 'dislike' about PayScale. However there is one thing I wished they offered: Comp Trending Survey Data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For any business looking to be competitive in the marketplace, I would definitely recommend taking a serious look at PayScale.

As a PEO Company, our primary focus is providing HR Business Solutions to our clients. A big part of that is helping the client create/implement the right comp structure for their business and people. PayScale has been an invaluable resource tool in this effort, as with PayScale we can feel confident we are providing our clients with the most accurate and up to date data.

PayScale review by Administrator in Machinery
Administrator in Machinery

"Payscale makes me look like a Superstar!"

What do you like best?

First, let's be clear, I'm not a numbers person. Comp is a necessary function of my job, but I don't need to like it...

I've talked to a number of people at Payscale over the years, and haven't come across one Payscale employee who doesn't just LOVE comp. They live it, they breathe it, and they are SO good at making me feel like it's all going to be OK, and I will survive another year of market data!

Yesterday when talking to my Customer Success Mgr. Chris about an annual refresh Chris said to me, "Tina, I'm SO excited to get this refresh done for you" followed by "this is going to be fantastic". Honestly, just the fact that he used excited and fantastic when describing Comp, makes me feel like we've made the right investment!

I love working with happy people. Thanks guys for being COMP-letely amazing!

What do you dislike?

In general, Comp is not my favorite thing. But with insight, I can't honestly say there is anything I dislike.

If however I had to pick one thing or the world would come to an end - I think it might be that I have a little trouble at times finding Payscale Job titles that match a couple our roles in Manufacturing. For the admin or finance type roles, job matching is a cinch, it's just a little trickier for manufacturing roles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to References like me.... you'll find out about how PayScale has changed Comp for companies like Langen.

We are not unlike any other business, we have challenges attracting great people. We're not a sexy or glamorous business, we aren't like Microsoft or a Google with on-site restaurants, or bring your dog to work environment we are manufacturing / Engineering. We make amazing machines, that package your morning cereal... we need our offers to be attractive.

With Payscale, I am super confident that the offers that I present to candidates are great. And if they don't want to work here because they don't like high speed equipment, that's one thing... but they can't say they don't want to work here because we don't pay well!

PayScale review by Erin B.
Erin B.

"Ideal COMP Analysis Tool"

What do you like best?

The market surveys and tailored Comp reports for each job position. They are so detailed and are packed full of information!

What do you dislike?

Not really too much with the product itself. It can be s but overwhelming at first, but once you get used to navigating around then it’s fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really great product and worth the money and time for an HR department. We use it all the time.

Comp analysis, pay bands and pay grades.

PayScale review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"PayScale Creates Win-Win"

What do you like best?

The salary data helps our managers win by guiding them in making good decisions regarding pay increases. In turn, employees win by knowing they are being payed fairly. And then there is my Customer Success Manager ... Laura Richardson rocks! There is never a question that does not go unanswered fully and completely. To be honest, I feel like Laura is truly a part of my HR team!

What do you dislike?

It isn't really a dislike, more of a "wish" ... additional qualifiers would be helpful with certain positions, as well as some "statistical" means to value long-time employees.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PayScale takes all the work out of consolidating data from various salary surveys.

PayScale solves the business problem of fairness and equity in setting salary ranges. This is an area of growing concern in these times. I am proud to be part of a company that is forward thinking ... we make sure we are proactive and communicate with the staff to avoid problems in the future. Transparency isn't just for the financial world! The benefits are increased confidence by managers and trust by the employees. The trust our staff have that we are providing fair salaries blossoms into greater job satisfaction. This in turn creates a culture of positiveness and happiness. A clear benefit is not having to consolidate salary information from multiple sources - PayScale covers that task, freeing me up for more value-added tasks.

PayScale review by Katherine M.
Katherine M.

"Competitive Advantage"

What do you like best?

PayScale Benchmark is helping us get the data we need for less traditional roles. As an innovative firm, many of our roles do not exist in traditional industry surveys. Our managers are very happy to know that we have an added source that can address their specific roles.

What do you dislike?

We've completed a trial and during that time did not find anything we didn't like. We just subscribed (yesterday!) to Benchmark, and hopefully that feeling continues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try! Once you start using the system in a trial you will realize it is everything you've been missing!

I'd reiterate that the data available to us through PayScale is helping us target the less traditional roles we've had so much trouble finding data for in the past. We are better able to support our business leaders and the firm now that we are equipped with stronger tools and data.

PayScale review by Hernan C.
Hernan C.

"Solid data"

What do you like best?

Solid data, lots of reporting options, great customer service.

What do you dislike?

Starting to use it to leverage all the features can be a bit slow, part of that has to do with our internal availability. Perhaps the an onboarding process with a little bit more of hand holding could help. Or having default settings that show a user how to set up the most frequent configurations. Perhaps make the FAQ and self training options a bit more prominent and easy to find from the actual page where the user is trying to execute an action, more contextual help essentially.

Also one thing that I have seen, from a design/usability standpoint, is that some of the tables and reports can be way to wide for the screen, so it requires horizontal scrolling, without the ability to collapse the columns you don't need to see.

Benchmarking, forecasting

PayScale review by Criston M.
Criston M.

"OMG! A Whole Comp Dept!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use & reporting features allow real time info to make decisions, quickly and well informed.

What do you dislike?

None as of yet, as we have just begun utilizing the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the demo! Worth it. Saves time and money when looking to overhaul your compensation and job data. It is in a league all of its own, particularly when you only have limited resources.

Comp w/out the accurate resource has cost our company overpaid ee's.

PayScale review by Asher P.
Asher P.

"Excellent Insight for any size company"

What do you like best?

Easy to use interface, quick to run reports and gather data analysis. Access to compensation experts and best practice info, training and reports.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I dislike, it works for me!

Recommendations to others considering the product

The costs of this product pays for itself the first time you don't overpay for a new employee!

We needed a way to get better compensation market data in real-time, for a reasonable cost. Payscale is amazing and allows us to hone in on very specific roles, markets, etc

PayScale review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Real Comp Data for Nonprofit Use!"

What do you like best?

That PayScale can help me find external jobs and titles similar to our internal positions. We have very specialized positions that are unique to the nonprofit space and PayScale really has a vast depository of jobs and titles that are right on point for our industry.

What do you dislike?

A quarterly reminder from PayScale on updating salaries would be a nice to have!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep your internal salary information updated on all of your employees and that makes creating reports much easier!

Balancing smaller salary budgets in a nonprofit, but wanting to stay competitive for great talent and also for retention of current talent to support our organization. The benefits of just in time reports that I can generate through PayScale are priceless.

PayScale review by Melissa P.
Melissa P.

"We're mid-implementation but I'm obsessed already!!!"

What do you like best?

Gives great insight into the market value of jobs but the best thing is that it can get so granular, all the way down to industry specific job functions. It also gives you a percentage letting you know the accuracy of the report based on the amount of relevant data it was able to capture from other users.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet. Everything is very intuitive in the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need more data to make comp decisions Payscale is the way to go!

Will be using it for upcoming comp reviews. Hoping to be an advocate for those employees who are being paid way less than the market average.

PayScale review by Julie M.
Julie M.

"PayScale Insight is a must have!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and great customer service. They don't bombard you...if you need them they are there.

What do you dislike?

Setting up labor markets can be hard. But again, the customer service group can help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering PayScale, what are you waiting for! The support is great AND it will make your life so much easier. It is worth the leap of faith.

We had not done a market comparison in a long time. To begin with we just wanted to see if we were competitive in our market. Then it turned into creating grades and ranges for our positions. The benefit is we can make job offers and discuss pay with employees with confidence.

PayScale review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Educate Managers on Compensation Management"

What do you like best?

PayScale Insight and Crew are great tools which are easy to use. Crew makes administering an annual pay review cycle very easy. Managers like both tools - Insight gives them some comparable information regarding the external market, and Crew allows them to give pay raises easily - and includes the employee's pay history.

What do you dislike?

Some people will have a challenge with the 'self-reported' compensation data. I did have an initial concern on this, but the data has proved to be fairly reliable. In addition, their recent partnership with Mercer should help on this aspect as you'll be able to combine survey data and the data that they already provide. The other downside is that the tool still needs some functionality to make it more robust, and meet all of our needs. (But they are working on many of these things!)

We needed to educate managers on managing employee pay. This tool gives them the information that they need to make good pay decisions. Combining it with a new performance management process, they are now able to reward performance with appropriate pay. We have seen a positive impact in our Engagement Survey around pay for performance.

PayScale review by Tammie B.
Tammie B.

"access to data for jobs not available in standard surveys"

What do you like best?

I can find relevant data for hard to match jobs in traditional surveys

What do you dislike?

I just haven't had enough time to get going using it to its full capabilities yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have not used Insight enough yet to make any recommendations but so far I think it will help us tremendously with educating our managers about pay.

Identifying relative worth of jobs that I otherwise would not have data for.

PayScale review by Debbie S.
Debbie S.

"PayScale Compensation Management"

What do you like best?

The reports and data are easy to access. The staff at PayScale are so easy to work with and are very knowledgeable.

What do you dislike?

Matching the jobs with our job titles was a long process. A few of the positions did not match up well, but the staff was very helpful in customizing a match when needed.

We have completely revised on compensation program and feel confident now we are paying fairly for our market.

PayScale review by Lawrie P.
Lawrie P.

"Great customer service & training"

What do you like best?

I love how Emily my dedicated specialist is often checking in, offering me free tutorials, and showing me new features to improve our compensation strategy at Relay.

What do you dislike?

I like everything about PayScale I just wish I had more time to use it and leverage it more often.

We strive to pay competitively and maintain equity across our organization. We need market reports and ways to compare current employee strategies.

PayScale review by Jeremy M.
Jeremy M.

"Great tool for unique workplaces"

What do you like best?

Being a very unique organization type we love that payscale allows us to look at similar organizations acros Canada, and related industries locally, to determine compensation structures.

What do you dislike?

Wish there were more non-profit profiles

Recommendations to others considering the product

It makes fair contract negotiating a lot easier, more professional, and less subjective.

We use it when negotiating excluded management contracts as well as during collective bargaining. It's a great objective source for remuneration information.

PayScale review by Karina G.
Karina G.

"Data at your fingertips"

What do you like best?

I can access data at any time anywhere with just a click of a mouse. Data updates fast and is available when needed.

What do you dislike?

That it is all employee reported data. I wish there was also employer reported data. I'd also like to see job families to help match my jobs or ensure the closest match.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider how you intend to use the data. Breaking out markets or job families can be helpful.

When hiring for a new role, it is a great gauge to see that our offer is aligned with comp data. It ensures we remain competitive without over compensating an employee to market.

PayScale review by Administrator in Veterinary
Administrator in Veterinary

"PayScale to the rescue"

What do you like best?

The market reports for our positions; this has been extremely helpful for supervisors/directors to review with their employees. We just implemented the salary ranges based on market value and that will be very helpful for end of year compensation reviews.

What do you dislike?

The amount of information required-- does not sync with our current Payroll resource (Paycom). We used to have BambooHR and it did sync, which was helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very helpful and data-backed compensation information; helpful in smaller job markets like Tulsa, OK where it will vary greatly from larger cities such as Dallas or Kansas City.

Compensation based on market value; accurate and real-time data helpful for all employees

PayScale review by Mike H.
Mike H.

"New to Payscale"

What do you like best?

Payscale has been easy to use. It is very user friendly from matching our positions to those in the system and updating salary and individual job ranges has been a snap.

What do you dislike?

My sales rep has left the company and it has become a little more difficult to get support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We've gotten a good value from Paysclae for the price.

Updating our salary ranges for our field has been an issue in the past. We are now able to update 200 locations throughout the U.S. in less than 15 minutes at any time.

PayScale review by Miriah N.
Miriah N.

"PayScale "

What do you like best?

I like that you continue to add date and criteria for searches.

What do you dislike?

Some things can decrease a salary amount that shouldn't, like Security + certification to be pfeci

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely tihnk PayScale should have some version that caters to companies like mine that utilize it for proposal and bidding purposes (and not internal research and use).

We use this for proposal information for bids

PayScale review by Andrea M.
Andrea M.

"Great way to bring all your surveys together"

What do you like best?

The Insight Labs took gives our small company a quick way to view and weight multiple surveys. It also allows us to complete survey submissions quickly.

What do you dislike?

That it can't read my mind. Honestly, the tools are great and meet different needs. When the tool can predict/read my mind, then it will be golden.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great product.

Solving our pay structure issues.

PayScale review by Mary O.
Mary O.

"Great for ballpark"

What do you like best?

I like that payscale has a great variety of positions with unique core functions. It's so easy to pick what's closest to what job we're looking at.

What do you dislike?

It is a ballpark figure, and employees using the free version sometimes get upset when they think they're being unfairly paid.

it's interesting how there are so many roles out in the business world.

PayScale review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Excellent Tool for Benchmarking Salary Information"

What do you like best?

PayScale has been great for our organization for benchmarking market salaries and wages for our positions. The service was great as well, in that we were able to send our job descriptions over to have our jobs matched with the market. The market reports have been extremely helpful and are easy to understand, and being able to see a breakdown between total cash, base salary, and bonus has been great.

What do you dislike?

Like I said, the service was great and hassle-free, but we didn't get a match for all of our positions without having to modify things a bit. That's reality, though, as we have some unique jobs that we understood might be difficult to benchmark going into it.

Competitively compensating our positions based on solid market data.

PayScale review by Edwin C.
Edwin C.

"A lot of Great Software"

What do you like best?

We use MarketPay currently and the market pricing feature is easy to use. Also, submitting survey data is easy and less time consuming.

What do you dislike?

It currently has been running slow and the reporting feature does not work most of the time

Market Pricing and Reporting have been the main focus of this solution.

PayScale review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"Great Source of Pay Data"

What do you like best?

I like that there are so many ways to look at the data from the report. It is also very easy to read and understand the data. You can look at pay by tenure, industry and other filters.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how you have to order a separate report for each classification of the job. If you want to look at machinist rates, you will have to order a report for operators, machinist and programmers even though they are all progressions of the same job.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good source of data but I would not use it as your only source of pay information.

We use Payscale as one source of data for looking at how we compare to the industry and with in the geographic location.

PayScale review by Susan F.
Susan F.

"A great tool!"

What do you like best?

On demand access to live market data for tough positions

What do you dislike?

nothing, the tool is great, the implementation process was great and the whole team is wonderful

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be ready for some great results!

Our employees want to know where they stand within the market and they want data that is validated outside the organization.

PayScale review by Laurie H.
Laurie H.

"PayScale Revoluntionized our Compensation Strategy"

What do you like best?

I like that we get up-to-date data of what the market shows is fair compensation for each position, for the range we target, for our region.

What do you dislike?

Some of our niche positions don't yet have strong data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use your PayScale representative in the beginning to really understand all the options you have through PayScale. The increase recommendations are very helpful--you get to set the criteria and PayScale does the calculations.

We solved inequities we have had in our wages/salaries. We now have a sound compensation strategy and practice that is fair.

PayScale review by Alison T. B.
Alison T. B.

"Great resource for competitive companies recruiting for retaining in competitive industries and jobs"

What do you like best?

Access to new real-time salary data is essential

What do you dislike?

Price is prohibitive for small to medium businesses so hard to access that data (still).

Helping to retain top talent and recruit top talent as well as manage increases, varying factors contributing to the market and staying on the cutting edge of compensation.

PayScale review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Amazing Compensation Software with Simple User Interface"

What do you like best?

Great customer support, simple to use so anyone can learn quickly, access to wide variety of titles and roles that can be segmented to fit your company's needs

What do you dislike?

The Crew platform is still developing - uploading employee information to refresh data takes several days / a week based on bandwidth of PayScale's team.

Long, manual bi-annual compensation process. Has streamlined the compensation cycle tremendously and given us visibility into market data to benchmark each role.

PayScale review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Good Compensation product for efficiency and effectiveness."

What do you like best?

I like the fact that Payscale has reliable data that can be used across a number of jobs in my organization.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the fact that I have too many job descriptions gets cumbersome in the tool as well as maintaining my current workforce.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product to assist with Compensation implementation and conversations.

We have really created a solid base and have begun building upon it for a reliable compensation structure. It has opened up conversations about our compensation philosophy which would not have happened without Payscale.

PayScale review by Sean S.
Sean S.

"Payscale was best fit for us"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, and experts a call away. They're very willing to work with you.

What do you dislike?

Data sets for some locations and areas not as vast as we would like.

Salary Benchmarking. We're much more certain we're paying where we should be.

Administrator in Human Resources

"More than just a market pricing tool"

What do you like best?

The depth of data and the ability to methodically report helps me have meaningful conversations with senior leadership.

What do you dislike?

I’d pove to have better simplicity around translating my labor markets to Insight.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a demo, ask hard questions, and challenge their knowledge. The best part about Payscale and the staff is that they understand compensation. They aren’t just a software delivery tool. They can really help you build solutions for your organization.

It is a key tool for educating and communicating Comp at every level.

PayScale review by Administrator in Environmental Services
Administrator in Environmental Services

"Great tool for Unique Industries for Comp!"

What do you like best?

I choose Payscale because they were able to provide compensation data unique to the Waste industry, as well as specialized jobs that other companies were not able to provide. They also go above and beyond to help make your life an an HR professional easier, while ensuring you have the right compensation data to make good business decisions.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I have disliked so far is having to develop more specific data for our tenure based jobs to properly range, however, it has made for better data for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

consider your labor market, number of employees and complexity of pay structure you want to implement

More aligned compensation for critical roles, better data in making hiring decisions.

PayScale review by Administrator in Hospitality
Administrator in Hospitality

"Not "Sale People" but rather "Data Scientists""

What do you like best?

The depth of compensation knowledge and their level of customer service is incredible. Also their online community is very helpful for current issues.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an App or mobile option to provide managers for compensation reviews with their employees

Recommendations to others considering the product

Payscale is making extremely smart strategic investments in their products and is collaborating with other companies. They are on the cutting edge of comp data.

Obtaining market data for very specialized positions (I.e., Marketing, IT, etc...).

PayScale review by Karen B.
Karen B.

"Easy to understand and navigate compensation data."

What do you like best?

The ease of pulling reports and ability to explain our compensation strategy.

What do you dislike?

There's so many job profiles that I occasionally feel less confident that we've chosen the most accurate job to benchmark against an internal position.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Reference earlier comments.

Problems that have been solved: referencing outdated compensation information, complicated system for compensation strategy, policies and procedures.

Benefits: real time compensation data, having a comp expert to ask questions as they arise, ease of explaining our compensation strategy and practices.

PayScale review by Melanie D.
Melanie D.

"Compensation experts who can take your current practices to the next level. "

What do you like best?

They know best practice. They are responsive and supportive. Their program is dialed in.

What do you dislike?

They told us they offered assistance with career ladders and they don't.

Internal equity, gender pay equity, consistency and competitive pay matched the market.

PayScale review by User in Photography
User in Photography

"HR Ops Specialist"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate the ad-hoc scenarios. I like the different markets. Customer Rep is so helpful and always checking on me.

What do you dislike?

There is a new interface. It looks great, but I haven't had time or training to really use the new features. In fact, it's intimidating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really take advantage of all the help offered from PayScale.

Extending offer in our Recruiting top talent. Focal Raises as well as Merit Pay. (Two name a couple.)

PayScale review by Beth R.
Beth R.

"Best Value!"

What do you like best?

PayScale Insight is user friendly. We are currently benchmarking all positions in our organization. And if we are considering adding a position, we can easily and quickly find out how much the market is paying.

What do you dislike?

We have a few specialized positions for which there is not enough market data.

Saving a lot of time on recruitment, especially since NYC law now prohibits requesting salary history from job applicants.

"PayScale "

What do you like best?

The platform is easy to use, and each and every member of the PayScale team I have worked with is an amazing trainer. They are able to drill down to my specific industry and give helpful insight on where we can make changes.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything about Payscale. I have nothing else to add but the box is requiring me to type

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommend payscale to others on SHRM communities who asked for help with comp solutions

Prior to PayScale it was unclear what we were basing our salary decisions on. Now we have facts, which take away any potential unequal balance.

PayScale review by Executive Sponsor in Medical Devices
Executive Sponsor in Medical Devices

"Great Platform - Need Enhanced Implementation"

What do you like best?

The platform is great. We price jobs quickly, easily, accurately and with confidence now.

What do you dislike?

Our only challenge has been the implementation. We are very busy, and we expected a structured guide with help. We went through multiple Customer Account Reps and have not got the desired guidance.

Aligning compensation with strategy

PayScale review by Sheena Aileen M.
Sheena Aileen M.

"Awesome group for implementation!"

What do you like best?

We have such a great team helping us transition during implementation! They are helpful and responsive. They are friendly and trying to make everything setup so that we are setup the best and ready to go.

What do you dislike?

Right now we do not have any dislikes. Everything has been smooth. Maybe in person training.

Creating new structures and providing quick data cuts and reporting for executives.

PayScale review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Great product"

What do you like best?

PayScale has options for businesses large and small. The features and functions are robust for both and are easy to learn and use.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I dislike. PayScale has helped with so much administration!

I spend less time assessing market ranges by not having to do my own research. The tool we were using prior to finding PayScale even required its clients to complete a lengthy annual survey, which was their primary data source for other companies. We never knew how accurate the output was, a problem that was resolved by switching to PayScale!

PayScale review by Jacquie W.
Jacquie W.

"PayScale is a useful tool to support your pay strategy"

What do you like best?

Being able to drill down into specific industries/labor markets, geographic areas, and company size.

What do you dislike?

The lag between state wage activity (minimum wage increases), and seeing the affect on market wages.

Confirming that our pay scales were in line with the market and being able to show the data to employees when needed. Provides added justification to support your compensation recommendations.

PayScale review by Ronald M.
Ronald M.

"User of Payscale Insight for all 4,000+ Teammates"

What do you like best?

Regularly upload HRIS pay data into Insight for fresh market pay information to base pay decisions

What do you dislike?

Don't receive regular updates on new product development

Recommendations to others considering the product

Due your diligence and pick a partner based on your specific needs.

Our company does business in 80+ markets, Payscale provides market data within minutes of a company division request. Accurate market data is mission critical.

PayScale review by Carla W.
Carla W.

"Compensation visibility and strategy"

What do you like best?

The ability to benchmark jobs easily while also planning for the future with PayScale's scenario feature. We've had more intelligent conversations around pay, people and strategy planning then we've ever had before.... all of this, in an easy to use platform.

What do you dislike?

Having to import data from Insight into Crew.

Transparency with employees, fairly compensating across the organization, information into variable pay programs.

PayScale review by Administrator

"Payscale helps with HR comp data"

What do you like best?

They not only handle comp ranges but also suggest job descriptions.

What do you dislike?

They mainly only connect with BambooHR which was great when my company was using bamboo, but it's annoying to have disparate systems.

Determining pay grades, bands, bonuses, performance based bonuses, job descriptions, setting market pay, etc.

PayScale review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, data specific to company size and location. I use the product all the time. For pre-hire info and for general compensation information.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. We purchased another company in January and in preparation I ran market reports on every position, specific to that location so we could set compensation levels. Did it all in less than a morning!

Recommendations to others considering the product

At least do the trial. You'll be hooked on how easy and beneficial the prodcuct is.

Making sure we are competitive pay-wise and at the same time not overpaying for a specific skill set.

PayScale review by Michael L.
Michael L.

"Payscale Review"

What do you like best?

Leveling current and future jobs to the market. Reports that provide guidance on shifts of jobs within grades or grade adjustments.

What do you dislike?

Seems there is cleanup after uploading new data. I have to verify to ensure the data is correct. Al;so, it does not have reliable data for our advanced and master heavy equipment techs.

See above.

PayScale review by Chuck S.
Chuck S.

"Highly Satisfied NonProfit HR Director"

What do you like best?

Depth of the tool, ease of use and methodology utilized.

What do you dislike?

Comparison markets are occasionally not ideal matches.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize the training offered and then dig in!

It is often difficult to find enough local labor market position matches to have a valid pool of salary data.

More confident in salary survey data utilized for studies.

PayScale review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Great Tool for Comp Review"

What do you like best?

The ability to see exactly what the market will allow for our blended positions

What do you dislike?

Speed - late afternoon system slowdowns.

Our company is growing rapidly. PayScale gives a good view as to if we are compensating our employees fairly and what it would take to woo new talent that we really need. Benefits? There are many but the main one is to have the data needed to have valuable conversations with our hiring managers to provide guidance in what the appropriate compensation package would be for certain positions.

PayScale review by User

"PayScale: Horrible Customer Service"

What do you like best?

without reliable customer service, Payscale has no value.

What do you dislike?

Do not purchase PayScale. The customer service is horrible! The sales team will tell you there is an 800 customer service number, but no one ever answers. All service requests are handled by a service ticket that a customer must leave. Can take days to get a response. Horrible. Don't waste your money

Recommendations to others considering the product

Never, avoid the PayScale product

Continued PayScale messages indicating that the PayScale system is down and cannot process analysis

PayScale review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"HR Diretor"

What do you like best?

Simple to use when inputting role and people information.

Like how readily available market information is and the reports that can be generated.

What do you dislike?

Found it confusing when they went to live and scenario.

Little communication and they kept changing people who were in charge of the account.

Would love to see an area where you can determine salary based on hours worked. ie we have a 35 hour work week and we have to transfer everything from a 40 hour work week

balancing salary for 3 labour markets

PayScale review by Cheri B.
Cheri B.

"Industry best"

What do you like best?

Data provided is just what I need. Allows me to customize market

What do you dislike?

Price. I wish it was more reasonable (especially for we smaller companies)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start small, grow with PayScale. Consider cost in budget.

Objective salary data

PayScale review by Jeri H.
Jeri H.

"Compensation Management"

What do you like best?

Flexibility with reports and being able to customize reports

What do you dislike?

The Initial set up of jobs and employees

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to have a complete and comprehensive list of positions with descriptions and make sure they match the data from Payscale.

Ability to look at internal pay ranges for positions.

"Excellent resourse"

What do you like best?

PayScale is easy to use. I really on it heavily for our salary data.

What do you dislike?

Like any database, keeping it updated is a challenge from a time standpoint. This is not a PaySCale problem, though

Making sure our salaries are competitive is key to attracting an retaining good talent.

PayScale review by Cinthia B.
Cinthia B.

"Payscale-Baldor"

What do you like best?

Pay by market, allows us to clearly define each role.

What do you dislike?

Unable to pull reports by borough ex: NY Bronx,

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend allowing companies to see what other companies by name are paying their employees.

Pay Equity across the board, Payscale has helped us standardize our pay.

PayScale review by User in Shipbuilding
User in Shipbuilding

"Human Resources Manager"

What do you like best?

We did an initial review of all job titles with pay ranges for 2 locations/different states. Pay Scale did a great job pulling all this information together and setting up an easy to use spreadsheet.

What do you dislike?

The initial cost for that work was fine, but the continuing cost is a bit expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use for major projects. Would not use if you only need to occasionally check a job salary - too many other sources that are no cost.

Established competitive salaries for the different states.

PayScale review by Claudio A.
Claudio A.

"PayScale is the ultimate tool for your pay practices"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to research any job title at any time with the parameters I need for my business

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything in specific that I dislike, PayScale is an awesome tool.

A new up to date pay structure that aligns with our business strategy.

PayScale review by Administrator in Insurance
Administrator in Insurance

"Payscales Importance"

What do you like best?

Customer Service and the fact that I can get every bit of detail I need when hiring new candidates

What do you dislike?

it is a bit to technical for me so I always call customer support and they always help me out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely consider making your life easier

We are no longer throwing darts at the wall. we are consistent with employee pay regardless of gender

We dont have to negotiate with new employees we just show them the report

PayScale review by Monica M.
Monica M.

"Reasonably priced compensation tool"

What do you like best?

Ease of access and very easy to use. I get the job done easily with this tool.

What do you dislike?

Non profit and membership organization sector could be more robust

Use this product as a consultant for my clients in pricing jobs.

PayScale review by Administrator in Law Practice
Administrator in Law Practice

"Good data, excellent support"

What do you like best?

The Payscale customer service. They are patient, helpful, consistent- everything I needed to get going on this resource.

What do you dislike?

I don't think there is enough data yet for my industry (private law firms). But it's enough to do what I want, which is to compare to my other sources.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth trying.

Data available through traditional sources is undergoing change- I think due to industry changes. I wanted a source that would help round out the overall picture.

PayScale review by User in Financial Services

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

Ease of use; customer service & quality of data

What do you dislike?

Not enough data for our geographical market for certain jobs

PayScale makes is easy to get real-time comp benchmark and see how skills, years of experience and education impact salary

PayScale review by User

"HR Trends in a single place"

What do you like best?

I enjoy all the articles and information Payscale provides, it´s really helpful and it could trigger some important auto-analysis of how your company is doing vs market or new generations requirements/trends

What do you dislike?

At the moment I have no constructive feedback

I work with marketpay and pretty much this tool is being used in a daily basis to perform Job Evaluations and asses in the best manner the business we support

PayScale review by Executive Sponsor in Human Resources
Executive Sponsor in Human Resources

"Good Platform"

What do you like best?

PayScale provides a great platform and very good tool for managing compensation. It gives me good information and allows for in depth analysis of a variety of positions at all levels within our organization.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike...but if there is anything to dislike it would be the cost. It is pricey...but...you get good info.

We are able to look at and resolve internal equity issues, market data for determining hiring rates and how to stay competitive in the markets we operate in.

PayScale review by Executive Sponsor in Computer Software
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

"Job Pricing"

What do you like best?

Easy to navigate to price a position. By providing the proper parameters to the job being evaluated in the system there is valuable results

What do you dislike?

A few jobs are hard to get compatible descriptions

pay equity

"Great!"

What do you like best?

Its modern look and feel is stellar. It really make it feel like a top notch program.

What do you dislike?

The entire compensation experience is overwhelming. Payscale tries to simplify it, but I think they could probably do more. I also wish I could see a better interface between Payscale and our HRIS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out!

Catching our company up on what we should be paying our employees based on the market.

Administrator in Human Resources

"Useful salary survey information"

What do you like best?

we're able to pull salary survey information quickly and easily and can pull comparable reports for multiple locations quickly if necessary

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything that we dislike

Recommendations to others considering the product

We would recommend it for internal equity analysis, recruiting and related purposes

our company and our clients use PayScale for internal equity analysis and recruiting purposes. It helps to set an appropriate pay range for positions when recruiting

PayScale review by Rick P.
Rick P.

"PayScale review"

What do you like best?

Quick information to price jobs in a particular market

What do you dislike?

A little slow on the learning curve for new users

Recommendations to others considering the product

try it you will like it

comps

PayScale review by David C. K.
David C. K.

"comp review"

What do you like best?

quick simple data - easy to access free and to use data

What do you dislike?

not categorized by special skill - ie: iOS AND Android

benchmarking - justifying salaries

PayScale review by User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Excellent Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Individual attention and speedy responses

What do you dislike?

number of job titles crowd source users choose from

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use with tremendous customer support

pay compared to market

PayScale review by Consultant

"Helpful information! "

What do you like best?

I like that this website provides beneficial information. The website is very user friendly!

What do you dislike?

Nothing, everything about the website was accurate!

This has helped me with processing marketing analysis and also with cost of living increases.

PayScale review by Consultant in Events Services
Consultant in Events Services

"Great resource"

What do you like best?

Ability to focus in on an area to compare salaries and job descriptions.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes not being able to get someone to respond back as fast as I need them (not too often) and need some smaller jobs (not all executive)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Any HR department should use Payscale regularly.

Benefits and Job Descriptions - re-classifications

PayScale review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Head of Human Resources"

What do you like best?

The job matching is the best. Being able to see how the market data compares to our salaries is helpful.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at this time. It would be nice to have a job evaluation tool to establish the value of jobs internally.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good product.

Creating a compensation structure and ensuring equity in pay.

PayScale review by Administrator in Professional Training & Coaching
Administrator in Professional Training & Coaching

"COO"

What do you like best?

I like that other HR people are uploading the information and it isn't inflated by employees. The data seems very reliable.

What do you dislike?

When setting up there are a lot of packages to choose from... it can be hard to find the right package for you.

Compensation analysis

PayScale review by Administrator in Mental Health Care
Administrator in Mental Health Care

"Very responsive team and tools"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to quickly get market data and updates on market changes and potential risks to turnover.

What do you dislike?

Would like more tools on getting executive buy-in and ROI.

Identifying jobs at risk for turn-over. Looking forward aligning communications and job descriptions.

PayScale review by Administrator in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
Administrator in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Great Tool to Ensure Fair and Accurate Compensation"

What do you like best?

Being able to customize the report by the job duties and not just the title.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at this time. Your account specialist is always available to help.

Fair compensation for employees that were many hats.

Learn more about PayScale