(89 reviews)

Pendo helps product teams deliver software users love. Pendo captures product usage patterns and user feedback, and lets you communicate in-app to onboard, educate and guide users to value.

Work for Pendo?

Learning about Pendo?

Pendo Reviews

Ask Pendo a Question
Showing 89 Pendo reviews
Pendo review by Massimo A.
Massimo A.

"Key value is in good product analytics combined with in-app guides and NPS tracking"

What do you like best?

The main reason why we decided to adopt Pendo at MailUp Group is that it combines product analytics, in-app guides & Net Promoter Score tracking, all under one roof. That's unique and really useful. It allows you to display onboarding, up-selling, etc. messages to certain users (e.g. customers who did not yet try a certain feature, so I show them a Guide to trigger adoption), and track NPS for different segments of users (e.g. NPS for customers that never use feature ABC vs. those that use feature ABC all the time). That provides actionable insights both in terms of product roadmap and product marketing.

What do you dislike?

Things are changing rapidly at Pendo as the company is growing fast, so what I'm writing here might not even apply anymore by the time you read this. That said, in our experience setting things up takes some time (and the concept of "Feature" is not immediately clear to newcomers: it actually means "UI element"), and until recently there were some annoying productivity issues (e.g. you could not quickly clone a segment, resulting in potentially lots of repeat tasks just to create two similar segment of users: now this has been resolved!). Improvements still need to be made for multi-language applications (e.g. different Guides for different users that speak different languages).

Beyond using it for product analytics, we were able to stop using other applications for both in-app guides and NPS tracking, and switch to Pendo for all three purposes. It's actively in uset both in MailUp (https://www.mailup.com) and BEE Pro (https://beefree.io). It's expensive, but it gives the Product and Product Marketing teams tools that are crucial to their work. It's likely that we will use it across additional products in the MailUp Group (https://mailupgroup.com).

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Pendo
Pendo review by Oliver C.
Oliver C.

"Great for in-app guides/walkthroughs"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to target different user groups based on behavior and display pertinent guides and messages

What do you dislike?

The analytics is a bit limited - I wish that I could visualize data in more nuanced ways. It is unfortunate that you are forced to use the visualization that Pendo chooses for different data sets.

I wish that Pendo displayed IP address for each user interactions

The in-app guide designer still needs some work - fairly buggy

I need the ability to send NPS emails without the end-user dismissing the in-app survey

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't customize your analytics visualizations

There is no out-of-the-box solution for support ticket if you use the Pendo in-app widget on your product

There is no out-of-the-box solution for a guide center that shows progress of onboarding

We are providing personalized in-app guides and messages - users use our app for an additional 10 minutes per instance if they have watched a guide.

NPS - connecting NPS responses to user behavior.

What Product Analytics solution do you use?

Pendo review by Allie J.
Allie J.

"Help understand your customers' journey"

What do you like best?

Pendo allows you to track customer visits and clicks on page elements, pages, or a set of pages. It's been very helpful to find out if customers are following the intended journey, and if not, where they are going astray. This has allowed my team to implement UX improvements quickly and easily. Many of the tracking features are passive; I can set up a guide or funnel and just wait for data to show up.

What do you dislike?

The different feature types aren't well explained. I have sometimes tagged a feature when what I really needed was a path, etc. I often have issues with tagging within the app. I follow the instructions to get my website to show up and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It is also frustrating to not know what level of permissions I have. It would be better to know that the thing I am trying to do is possible but that I need to request help or higher permissions rather than not knowing the feature exists.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a learning curve. It's easier to learn by doing than reading.

For the UX team, we are interested in learning how our users are actually using our website and if the features, apps, and links we provide are being utilized and lead our users to the right answer. The areas I am interested in are tracking usage and click rates of existing pages / widgets and evaluating the usage of new features. We have realized the benefits of being able to see actual customer usage much quicker than repeated usability testing.

Pendo review by Caleb O.
Caleb O.

"Exceptional tool for Customer Success"

What do you like best?

The UX is clean and easy to use. The greatest value for us is the ability to add content into our products without dev/engineering effort. We've seen massive success in reaching customers through our products versus email campaigns and other outreach. Our NPS response rate has skyrocketed, we have new tools for analyzing account health, and other tools and communications have reached much higher numbers of users.

What do you dislike?

The dashboards could be a bit more complex with more tools/options for drill down. With a data analytics tool you want lots of options/filters/detail. I'd like more insight into specific user or account metadata.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great investment. Be careful when installing a single Pendo instance across multiple products/platforms. We ran into issues with accounts from different platforms having the same account ID, causing data integrity issues in Pendo.

We've really utilized Pendo for customer engagement and support. We had two primary issues to resolve, 1) pulling product usage data into our existing account health calculation and 2) a tool to communicate with customers in-app / in-product. We've been able to achieve both of those with great success.

Pendo review by Garrison Y.
Garrison Y.

"Pendo got me promoted - Enough Said"

What do you like best?

This has to be one of the easiest to use and easiest to learn applications I have come across. Considering the powerful insight it provides, that is an amazing feat. The detail with which you can create segments to analyze data is incredible. I have no experience with HTML, CSS, or any code whatsoever, and even I have been able to learn some advanced tagging with the help of the online documentation and how easy the tagging workflow is within Pendo. LOVE the behavior trends (would like to compare more than 5 points).

What do you dislike?

I know more advanced reporting is in the works, but I would always like more reporting and the ability to do calculations of the data within Pendo to see those numbers in comparison to the various segments. The standard reports on an account details page could use some work. I'd really like to expand the page/feature heat maps. The visitor details timeline report is also hard to digest easily, and have found times that it would be nice to investigate more than I am able to see with the minimal hovering over the icons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have done a bake off with a former colleague of Pendo vs UserIQ and in my opinion, Pendo was well beyond UserIQ in terms of overall capability, ease of use, visualizations, etc.

My primary use of Pendo has been understanding how customers are using our application, analyzing that data and developing a method of health scoring based on an individual customers usage. Pendo has made the collection and digest of data over different intervals of time and various segments so easy, and I would not have been able to accomplish this task without it. Exploring this information with the help of Pendo and developing our health scoring around the data it gathers it what got me promoted!

Pendo review by Dylan B.
Dylan B.

"A tool that takes client pulse from anecdote to data derived!"

What do you like best?

Highly customizable reports

Easy segment creation

Insightful paths and funnels

Feature tagging

Highly responsive support team

What do you dislike?

Creating guides takes some knowledge of CSS

Copying reports can be a little clunky

I use Pendo.io just about every day to manage my segment of customers. By setting up a personalized account report, I get an at a glance view of which of my customers are the heaviest users of any particular feature, which customers aren't utilizing our platform fully, and most importantly, if any customers aren't using it at all! This dine-and-dash approach to the data that I need has allowed me to transform my approach from one of reactivity to proactive, high-value engagement. As an organization, Pendo.io helps us track feature usage, conduct surveys, promote events, and ensure that we're always making data-driven decisions when moving our product forward.

Pendo review by Art G.
Art G.

"Great tool for our Product and Customer Success Teams! "

What do you like best?

To start off, it was very easy to integrate into our platform and get the data rolling.

Setting up and configuring Pendo was very easy and I was surprised how quickly we were able to see the value of the tool.

I love being able to quickly view how a certain client is using our product and have the ability to drill down and see more granular data about their usage.

One of my favorite features is the ability to tag a feature and have Pendo pull the data retroactively. This is a priceless feature that I was wish more tools had.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had a more accurate way of tracking feature usage instead of just clicks on an element.

It currently lacks the ability to create scheduled reports that can be exported into a different system.

Usage permissions are very limited

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! Pendo is flexible with setting up an extended trial so you can see the value of the tool.

It allows us to be more proactive with our clients and being able to quickly see who's engaged, who needs more training, and get client feedback.

Our Product team can get a clear view of feature usage and make data driven decisions on the roadmap.

Being able to not only measure feature adoption, but also see how our users move through our application.

Pendo review by Christopher R.
Christopher R.

"Great tool made even better by the people providing it"

What do you like best?

I'm going to cheat on this one right out of the gate and call it a three-way tie:

1. Extremely receptive product team - sat down with me, got my feedback on some features they'd just added and helped me leverage just what I was asking for.

2. Amazing support team - not just the "CEO told us he'd be slow to respond for a day or two because he was getting married" level of insane commitment to us as a customer, but just the day to day, if we need anything, the Pendo team is ON IT.

3. Software itself - Easy to use, gives us what we need and more.

What do you dislike?

Uhhhhhhhhh I guess some pages could load a little faster, MAYBE? But our use case also involves trying to drink from a firehose data-wise so even this one's understandable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just go for it, the only thing you really have to lose is the time you're going to spend customizing your instance to get a billion data points out of it.

User adoption data

User consumption data

Confirmation of usage

Weird other stuff (international users by language property kind of fun)

Actually being able to do the above without having to learn the full code base for my organization's platform? And having a tool I can train someone up on the basics of reporting from, in about 10 minutes.

Pendo review by Courtney C.
Courtney C.

"Can't imagine not having Pendo! "

What do you like best?

Visibility into usage data has allowed us to begin developing a more robust health scoring methodology.

What do you dislike?

Polls - my understanding is you are limited to 1 question per guide, and have been wanting to incorporate a 2 part or 3 questions within a single lightbox guide. The workaround we used was to link to an external survey tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't feel like you have to tag every feature immediately. You can tag as you need to. Build in a process to update pages/tags with new feature releases.

Pendo assists multiple teams within our organization. Support can identify users that contact us for assistance to further troubleshoot to cut down on a lot of back and forth. For instance, if we have a user's email address and they don't identify their account name, we can look that up with segments. If they are having a technical issue, we can identify their browser. We can be less dependent on email communication when needing to send updates to users, and instead utilize lightbox guides to let people know about upcoming scheduled maintenances, new features that were released. We've also used Pendo to facilitate our NPS survey to identify promoters for marketing participation and passives to identify problem areas so we can more proactively address.

Pendo review by Colin W.
Colin W.

"Great tool for Product, Customer Success, and Support teams"

What do you like best?

Pendo strikes an excellent balance of aggregating usage data into useful analytics to determine trends and adoption, while still maintaining the precise usage detail on the individual visitor level to permit a deep dive into the data when necessary. As a leader on the Product team, the aggregated metrics have allowed us to make data-drives decisions on the development roadmap, and the individual visitor actions detail has allowed us to craft our application workflows to be intuitive and reduce user frustration.

Our Customer Success team appreciates the user segmentation abilities. It has allow their team to target application surveys to specific relevant user segments, and to target feature adoption campaigns to users where it will make the largest impact.

Our Support team is excited at the prospect of utilizing the integration between Pendo and our CRM to provide context surrounding accounts and their users when fielding customer tickets.

We have not needed much assistance from Pendo's support team, but on the few occasions we h ave had to open a ticket, Pendo's support team has been very responsive and helpful.

What do you dislike?

Pendo is in a growth stage as a platform, and as such there are some areas of the application where it seems Pendo has not yet reached a mature state. For example, the available permissions that can be set on each Pendo user account are very broad. I'd like to be able to extend read-only access to certain metrics to other departments within our organization, but currently that is not possible.

However, to Pendo's credit, they are continually improving their application with new features and functionality, and that each new piece seems polished. It does not feel as if it were rushed out the door. Because of this, given time I feel their application will become more mature as a whole.

The ability to make data-driven decisions with regard to our product development roadmap is phenomenal. The wealth of information available provides context to the consumption of our feature offerings and shifts planning meetings into evidence-based discussions rather than pure conjecture and guesswork.

Post-implementation of a new feature offering, our Success team is able to measure the results of the user adoption efforts as well as obtain targeted feedback from the most relevant user segments.

Pendo review by Joe D.
Joe D.

"An easy-button that delivers powerful user analytics"

What do you like best?

I really like the fact that getting Pendo up and running took minutes, and that after an hour or so of configuration, with help from Pendo's success team, I was starting to see the value it could offer. This kind of near-instant gratification is rare and worthy of celebration.

The granular visibility I now have into users and user behavior is empowering, I'm finally seeing the data I need in order to make decisions and changes to our products, their features, and how we can improve user experiences in an effort to delight customers and head-off issues before they impact our bottom-line.

I'm also really happy with the new tools I have to communicate and educate users within our application using guides. Before Pendo, if I wanted to convey any information to a user or a group of users it always involved our development team and a release/hot-fix cycle. The world of SaaS software moves too fast and Pendo gives me the tools to deploy surveys, point-out and train users on new features, and inform customers of noteworthy things all without development or operations lifting a finger.

What do you dislike?

I'd like to see drill-down capability from the dashboard into the underlying metrics from a given widget. I'd also like the ability to schedule reports that could be sent via email. These aren't dislikes, per-say, just areas of improvement that would add even more value for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some of the best return on investment I've received from a 3rd party tool. If you're considering Pendo, the wonderful support team will help you get it up and running so you don't have to guess at whether it will solve your problems - you can find out yourself before purchasing it.

Removing devops from the critical path for communicating with customers in our app saves me time and energy, allows for more throughput since they aren't weighed-down with my requests to add a tooltip or deploy an NPS survey.

I'm now seeing empirical data about usage trends that inform us about how we can improve the UX, instead of just going by gut feel and isolated direct customer feedback.

I'm able to more accurately track new trial accounts and sales has the data to know when the right time to reach-out to a new trial user and start the selling process.

Pendo review by Jesús D.
Jesús D.

"Great user analytics tool to increase product adoption"

What do you like best?

I love the analytics part of Pendo, easy to use, great success managers and support people.

It's easy to implement in our sites and we just had to tune what information we needed to collect and pass to Pendo to get more out our data. After this is just easy to tag features, run reports, create guides and most important we can make decisions out of this information. We have seen changes in the users when we add guides.

Also great way to ask users for their satisfaction through the NPS build in.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have configurable dashboards with the data that I care. Like specific dashboard to see certain features or guides instead of going directly to those areas and look for that. It will save me some clicks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pendo is really useful. Everything is about the data and this will take some time on the consumer side to decide which data to pass and what is valuable specially if there is a multiple modules/acounts that you are implementing under the same Pendo account.

If you can have multiple Pendo accounts for your different modules it will much better, data will be cleaner and more useful.

We wanted to know what features our users are using and which ones they were not being leverage. From there to take decisions about how to increase user adoption or remove features.

Pendo review by Jan C.
Jan C.

"Solved our usage analytics needs and vastly improved our on-boarding improvements"

What do you like best?

1) Easy to use interface

2) Good analytics

3) Very responsive support team

4) They are focused on our success

What do you dislike?

Analytics are good, but have to copy and paste to a BI tool or excel to merge with other data. Would like some integrations to reduce this. Could use the API's to build something ourselves in future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Pendo team are very easy to do business with, during the sales cycle, onboarding, and throughout our ongoing use of the product. The product is already good but clearly improving with every small enhancement, and the bigger additions are ones that we will implement over time. Our product team is better informed about user behavior, our Customer Success team is better able to on-board clients and identify clients at risk due to lower usage, and the exceutive team is more informed about the product engagement

Principal need was to understand what how our SaaS clients were using our application and measure the usage of new and upated features, in order to keep improving our product. In addition to this, they include walkthroughs which have dramatically improved and automated our on-boarding process

Pendo review by Andrew E.
Andrew E.

"Pendo is a fantastic analytics tool providing, accurate, succinct, and timely data."

What do you like best?

Usability, incredibly easy to set up and use. It took our dev team less than 15 minutes to set up. The platform is lightning fast even when running updated dashboard views for over 6 months. It is also easy to customize the interface for each individual user. We love the fact that Pendo tracks each click in our system which provides a great deal of insight.

What do you dislike?

Would like a bit more custom reporting out of the system without having to export to a CRM. Thier NPS originally was lacking in features, however, they have recently released added enhancements on this front and I am excited to see the new deliverable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pendo.io is an incredible analytics platform that provides immediate feedback on customer usage. Thier entire staff from sales to service has been courteous, professional, and attentive to our needs. I highly recommend the platform and the company overall.

We quickly and proactively can track customer usage when we see a customer using the platform less. We engage them to see if there are any underlying reasons for the downward trend. Our AM team uses the platform for Monthly Executive Summaries to show overall usage. Development team tracks Page Usage and funneling to see ow we can make our platform easier to use.

Pendo review by Brendon B.
Brendon B.

"Better than hiring a dozen new employees"

What do you like best?

It's given an insane amount of insight into how our customers use our Saas platform. We use the analytics provided by Pendo for every new feature and proposal. It gives us insight into how things are being used and how we can improve our current system.

What do you dislike?

If looking at large datasets over large periods of time the load time can be a bit slow. It makes it a little difficult to dive into the data quickly and adjust filters.

We use it in many different aspects of our company but this past year we've really focused on simplifying the workflow and the number of clicks required to do things within our software. Pendo has allowed us to really tackle this and look at every aspect of our software. We've found a dozen different cases where users were either doing things in a way we never expected or processes were taking 5+ steps that we were able to simplify down to a single step.

Pendo review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Pendo allows us to do what we do better"

What do you like best?

We love the ability to message users in app, pointing out new features or adding in step-by-step guidance to make complex features easier to use. We're constantly learning new ways to use the Guides but also love all of the analytics that help us understand how users are navigating through our system, including their interaction with Pendo Guides.

What do you dislike?

Now that we have so much access to analytics, we wish we had more! For example, we can see from the overall view how many users are using a mobile or tablet vs. desktop to access our website, but we'd love to see what specific pages are most visited by mobile and tablet users versus desktop users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pendo provides many use cases and examples of how you can use their system to improve your business processes. Use those resources and share them with your internal stakeholders. The consultants are super helpful in the sales and set-up process as well. Don't rush it - take your time and create a roll-out plan to make the best use of Pendo without over-complicating it.

Providing customers with direct messaging about new features to drive more adoption of our product and also providing in-app training and guides to help make the product as easy to use as possible. We are relatively new to Pendo, but we're hoping both of those will help with customer adoption and retention, making our client services and client relationship teams' jobs easier as well.

Pendo review by Raman G.
Raman G.

"Excellent user analytics tool"

What do you like best?

I like that user data is tracked automatically, even if I haven't tagged it. This means that six months from now I can come up with a new question to answer, add the tags, and have all the historical information ready right away.

What do you dislike?

Some pages can be tough to tag when the matching rules aren't specific enough. It would be great to be able to exclude certain patterns so that pages can be distinct.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The free trial is a great way to see it in action. It definitely made it easy to move forward.

We're able to solve multiple business problems with Pendo. A couple examples are 1) guidance on how users navigate our site so that we can make the most effective changes in our upcoming site redesign, and 2) being able to do an NPS survey in-app so that we can start tracking our score over time.

Pendo review by Alex R.
Alex R.

"Senior Customer Success Manager"

What do you like best?

The information is always easy to find. The Pendo reports are consistent across all of our different product lines so the usage of the system is much easier for our different user groups. We now have insight about how users interact with our tool versus the conventional way of guessing or assuming what is used most often. Pendo helps give us actionable intelligence.

What do you dislike?

Push notifications or automated/email notifications from the system would be nice for certain reports that we pull on a recurring basis.

We want to know how users are interacting with our product and where they may be experiencing issues. We deal with millions of applicants on a yearly basis through our system and Pendo gives us a way analyze the activity of the aggregate users. Pendo has helped us identify areas of the system requiring improvement through identification (Pendo Analytics) and communication (Pendo Guides) allowing our development team to focus their efforts on high priority enhancements.

Pendo review by Seth W.
Seth W.

"Fast, but configurable, way to reach your users"

What do you like best?

Pendo is so easy to configure that we've found that the *hardest* part is just figuring out what the message should be. There are times that you want to get fancy (especially as you tinker more and more with the exaaact formatting). Pendo's team is there to support you through that, and you may find that you press up against the limits of what the platform can do. But for so many companies, the most important thing is just to get some simple messages pushed out to their users, holding their hand through the product, and Pendo makes it extremely easy to get to that point. So much so that it's been easy to train our Product Managers, Ops Specialist, Implementation Manager, and even one CSM (so far) in how to make their own Guides, so that I just need to give them a once-over before they go live.

What do you dislike?

I have some quibbles about the interface, the Salesforce integration, and the Zendesk integration, but I have no substantive problems with the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be thoughtful about what you're going to use it *for*. This product is an excellent example of "boiling the ocean is not a strategy for success".

(1) Explaining complex new features to customers, or describing how a feature has changed. (2) Explaining features to customers who are visiting that feature for the first time. (3) Outreach to customers whose renewals are coming up ("Click here to indicate your intent to renew") or whose invoices are overdue. (4) For an enterprise customer, building out tooltips that will only be visible to their own users, to explain how those users should be leveraging certain features.

Pendo review by Nova B.
Nova B.

"Data we can take action on - Everyone who uses it loves it"

What do you like best?

Aside from having access to user data at my fingertips: the interface is intuitive, the data visually presented for easy at-a-glance consumption, and their Guides set them apart as a tool that can create consistent in-product user help across your platform, be used as a recruiting tool for usability studies, includes NPS indicators--all without needing your engineers to write a single line of code (unless you want to customize the CSS, then your front-end dev can step in). It's glorious. I love it.

What do you dislike?

While implementation is pretty simple -- they give you a code snippet, you add it to your header/footer/similar area...., the tagging of pages and features can turn out complicated and time-consuming depending on the complexity of your product. Some of our enterprise products are complex, and so that has caused a lot of time consumed in set up on one of the products. The other 3 products took a lot of my time tagging features and pages, and while it's simple, it feels like there must be another way.

Business problems:

Usability analytics

Task analysis

Input to product roadmap

Understanding our different segments are using our products

In-product contextual help

Consistency of in-product documentation across our platform

MAYBE NPS, but that isn't clear yet

Recruiting for usability studies

in-product polling

Benefits:

In the first week we realized that 5000 ppl had clicked on something that looked like a button but wasn't and that was a quick win to fix that. Additionally we could quickly see how many people were starting but not completing tasks, how our users are moving around our products, and where they are specifically NOT clicking. This is giving us insight into the work we need to do to highlight certain features and to help simplify complex ones.

Pendo review by Shaun V.
Shaun V.

"The best tool to measure and increase product adoption "

What do you like best?

First and foremost, it just works. It's as easy to set up as any other similar tool and they've clearly invested heavily in the UX and getting it right. It's a company run by product people so as one could expect, the product is pretty darn solid from cover to cover. We have people logging in to Pendo across the company from engineers to customer success managers and they log in because it's easy to get at the data they need.

Secondly, the data we're getting from Pendo is really helpful. Once we got everything tuned up, the insights we're gleaning are making their way into our board meetings, company decisions, and even our customer's business review meetings. It's great to put a number on value realization and adoption. It's even greater because Pendo gives us the tools to impact and increase adoption in the form of guides (+1 that you can completely customize every part of them without the need to involve professional services)

Lastly, Pendo is doing it big and doing it right, the growth they've had since we became a customer over 6 months ago has been astounding. I think they've already passed the point of "turning back" or not "making it' and I'm excited for what this means for me as a customer. They've been consistently releasing new, useful features and expanding their offerings.

What do you dislike?

Some of the provided dashboards and views don't offer the customization needed to really make them shine and show exactly what you want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pendo will likely be one of the best investments you make. It will take all the energy you give it setting it up and return very big dividends on that investment. I was up and running and seeing value within the first week of being a customer, and it's just gotten better and more indispensable from there.

We've mapped the number of clicks in our set of products to SFDC accounts and contacts so we can now report on adoption along with other customer metrics

We've set up an automated in-app NPS system that connects to Salesforce and plays great with our email NPS service, this was possible due to Pendo's API support for all parts of their product.

We're able to measure and present the adoption of new features to the company

We're able to segment our user base based on adoption and figure out how marketing or product efforts improve those ratios.

We're put user adoption metrics directly in our product for our admin end-users to see how their team is using the product.

Our marketing team uses guides and segments to announce new events coming up.

We've built walk-throughs and tips to guide our users through new or confusing parts of our application, and the best part was we didn't have to involve our very busy engineering team.

Our customer success managers monitor their accounts activity and adoption both directly in Pendo and in Salesforce, we pull reports and visuals from Pendo to include in their executive business reviews.

In short, Pendo does a lot of awesome s**t and it's been very worth it to figure out all the ways it can help drive product and really, company, growth for us.

Pendo review by Taylor G.
Taylor G.

"Valuable Insights at the Click of a Mouse!"

What do you like best?

Pendo has been an absolute game-changer for me and my team of Success Managers in seeing how our clients interact with our software in real time, and on every level.

What do you dislike?

It's a little tricky to get used to the UI, and I sometimes have trouble "training" new people on using the program, which makes them slow to adopt. That said, once you get over the hump of understanding, Pendo is a total lifesaver!

As a Success Manager for a SaaS company, adoption is king when it comes to measuring our clients' happiness. While our own program has a way to calculate this, nothing beats being able to go to an open dashboard of my clients' use in real time, and export these insights automatically. Pendo has been my go-to for executive business reviews, last-minute presentations, and one-off calls since I started using it almost a year ago.

Pendo review by Claudia C.
Claudia C.

"Great, logical product with community support"

What do you like best?

It makes sense and follows a certain logic. There are ways to double check, e.g., there's a code to check if Pendo is installed on a certain part of your site. This means troubleshooting can be boiled down to a handful of issues.

More or less easy to use, and the templates are great. There's a Pendo support community you can join via Slack.

What do you dislike?

Onboarding process and learning curve was a bit steep, especially for someone with very little CSS background. I haven't touched much code since Myspace days, so I had to learn all of that over again in order to use this product. Figuring out how to integrate Pendo into the product I'm working on was the biggest challenge.

Devs may have to recode your product for Pendo to work correctly.

They gave us a bunch of "live" seminars to virtually attend, but they were all pre-recorded so we weren't able to ask questions.

Our CSM was available for the first month of us adopting the product, but has not been great about any sort of follow-up or responding when I message her.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it, but I would also look into how it might be integrated into your product first. If you have existing walkthroughs and guides that need to be migrated over to Pendo, they will charge you an extra fee because it falls under the "Professional Services" team. If you have someone on your team who is very familiar with code, then Pendo is a great product--if it isn't there, you can build it.

We used Pendo to replace another customer onboarding product, WalkMe. Pendo cost less than WalkMe, and has a lot more built-in analytics. Guides look a lot more streamlined.

Pendo review by Harry K.
Harry K.

"Great tool for drilling into data"

What do you like best?

My favorite aspect of Pendo is its ability for focus your reporting to specific subsets of customers based on segments, which can rely on data you pull in from Salesforce. In addition to making it a valuable data tool, it also lets you segment your messaging, which is very helpful to go-to-market strategies.

What do you dislike?

I think the UI is a little crowded. There's a lot of data to surface and the multi-layer approach that Pendo takes can get confusing at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

n/a

We're using Pendo for user-tracking, segment-specific customer message, and we're using login data as a key element of our churn prediction. The benefits are far-reaching, as it allows us to tap into data we wouldn't normally have access to while also giving us an easy way to act on the data.

Pendo review by User in Computer Software

"Pretty good, but falls short of being great"

What do you like best?

Like all in-app messaging / insight services, the ability to easily deploy messaging and understand user behavior is super valuable. Overall a purpose-built solution like Pendo is way more capable than building an in-house alternative.

What do you dislike?

I've been using the tool actively for over two years now and in that time they've added an impressive amount of new functionality. Being so familiar with the product, I'm acutely aware of all its shortcomings of which there are many. Namely, a truly awful/confusing UI. It takes 2-3x as long to do anything in this app due to unnecessarily cumbersome interfaces. Secondly, all the custom targeting components are a bit cumbersome for non-developers like myself. Everything is more complicated than it needs to be.

I primarily use Pendo to deploy one-off messages to our users on the web. We also use it for some engagement metric tracking.

Pendo review by Michael V.
Michael V.

"Pendo - Great App for Analytics and Guides"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate the analytics that I'm able to gather from using Pendo, but what really makes this even more amazing is that you're able to leverage those analytics to help drive the Pendo guides. Being able to segment and target folks with in app messages, walk throughs, and other guides is a powerful tool to a product team.

What do you dislike?

Because we are a bit unique, I wish Pendo had the ability to white label their product and allow us to provision users. This would be huge to us.

We're finally able to see how our app is being used so we as a product team can make our product even better.

Pendo review by Maura N.
Maura N.

"Game changer for any product team"

What do you like best?

Ease of setup and onboarding, flexibility in querying, phenomenal support team

What do you dislike?

Some tools in the app are oversimplified-- for example, you may want to capture a particularly patterned URL as a type of "page". Pendo has set up a really great system for building patterns, but it actually ends up being more work when we would prefer to write a regular expression to match exactly the pages we want. Pretty trivial, as the need is still mostly met for us :)

Pendo has become pivotal through most departments in our organization. We've used Pendo to set some of our company's OKRs (which are product-usage oriented), make product decisions on a daily and long term basis, and better understand/target customers via our CSM team.

Pendo review by User in Computer Software

"Great tool for software PMs"

What do you like best?

I think Pendo is a great tool for tracking user actions and love how intuitive it is to get started. It's very easy to tag different features and create user paths to see how people find certain features and where they go afterward.

What do you dislike?

I know I am not maximizing the tool like I should be. There are lots of different features and functionality that I haven't had time to explore. It's not so much a dislike of the tool as simply a reality of being spread thin.

I can easily alert our software users to new features and track who is viewing that announcement. I know what people are and aren't clicking on in the product and can create custom paths to follow those users as they progress throughout our software.

Pendo review by Miguel P.
Miguel P.

"Great product analytics tool"

What do you like best?

It is very simple to use and it takes almost no time to start visualizing data. The documentation is excellent and there is always someone from Pendo available to help.

What do you dislike?

The segments feature allows users to upload a CSV with information about the accounts that make up that segment. Unfortunately, if the CSV was uploaded by another user and I want to build a new segment based on that CSV, I don't have access to the file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start by defining a configuring your customer segments.

Engage your engineering team early to make sure you that all key features and events can be unambiguously tagged.

I am trying to use Pendo to improve user engagement with particular key features.

Pendo review by Jordan N.
Jordan N.

"Understanding and Communicating with Users"

What do you like best?

I've been in positions at 2 companies to implement and utilize Pendo. As a Product Manager, I love that I can get communication out to clients without development efforts. I can create messaging, tweak the look and feel, edit on the fly, specify when and where it will be seen...the list goes on and on. It's also great to understand the end users navigation through our product as well.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't a whole lot that I dislike. I guess I would say that there is one thing I would appreciate if they were options. A better heatmap of clicks (not just on elements, but anywhere). That isn't a huge deal in my mind, considering the value I get out of the analytics and the communication with end users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pendo is great to work with. They will give you a free trial period which will be sure to win you over. Their support staff whenever we have questions are amazing. The respond quickly and effectively. And I can never praise the guides (communication to end-users) enough. It's so nice to be able to utilize this and not be tied to the developing teams and the release cycles. Super flexible.

Originally, we were interested in the analytics of where our end-users were navigating to. Pendo solved that, but we really loved the ability to do in app messaging directly with our users without the need for the dev teams to work through it and then wait for a release. We can create, edit, remove, on the fly at anytime!

Pendo review by Jeff B.
Jeff B.

"User engagement tools in the hands of those who need them most"

What do you like best?

Pendo has deep tools for understanding customer journeys and segmentation, and they are easy to use and understand.

What do you dislike?

When dealing with a large number of in-app guides, which seems like it would be a very common use case, navigating the list of guides is unnecessarily cumbersome due to large in-line thumbnails. Also, some of the in-app guide formatting logic is not very clear, and it's difficult to tell which chunks of CSS take priority. This is a very minor gripe.

1. Which features are my customers using, and how much are they using them?

2. Which features are underutilized?

3. Now that I know which features are under-adopted, I can create in-app tutorial guides that introduce my users to the features that are targeted toward their needs.

Pendo review by User in Computer Software

"Pendo has changed how we interact with our customers"

What do you like best?

I like being able to add pop up guides to our product with relative ease (compared to coding it into your product) to announce new features and prompt users for feedback. I also like the ability to track interaction with these guides and our product as a whole using Pendo.

What do you dislike?

I dislike many of the quirks encountered when setting up guides. Between the code editor and interface editor it got very frustrating at times trying to get a guide to appear and behave correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're dealing with a web app Pendo is great. We got it to work with our Chromium app after a bit of work. It has been great, but our unique situation has added some challenges.

We are using in app notifications to inform our customers about new features and better tracking user interaction with our whole product. We have more insight into what areas get used and how often.

Pendo review by Russell G.
Russell G.

"Complete your data picture"

What do you like best?

Pendo's user interface is simple, clean and easy to use. It is very easy train new team members on.

What do you dislike?

The integration with Salesforce is a bit incomplete. We need an easier way to send user contact information from Pendo to Salesforce.

Pendo provides us with insights into how our customers are interacting with our tool. While we can get some usage data natively, from our application, we were missing how our customers are using our tool and where they are spending their time. This information is vital to identifying risk and evaluating growth potential. Pendo also provides us with a way to communicate critical messages to the people within our customer's organization that need to see them most - our users.

Pendo review by Nolan P.
Nolan P.

"Pendo is a great UX tool "

What do you like best?

Pendo offers a robust analytics suite that lets you dive into historical data and discover insights you would never have seen otherwise. Even better is that its tools let you provide in-app guides and personalized messaging based.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is a little clunky, but this is something they said they are addressing. I also wish multiple response surveys were available.

We use Pendo to understand what our users are doing. The software allows us to monitor detailed analytics, track NPS, and collect contextual feedback that we incorporate into our UX process. We also use Pendo to provide in-app guides to help users and address customer service issues.

Pendo review by Dana A.
Dana A.

"Great tool for in-app messaging "

What do you like best?

Once you dedicate the time to learning how to use the tool, it can be extremely powerful. I primarily use it to set up in-app notifications for marketing purposes, and it's highly valuable for conversion.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I technically dislike about Pendo. The only thing I would say, is there's somewhat of a learning curve with Pendo, so it's best to get in there and practice using the tool and learn all of the nuances.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The support team is wonderful. They are super helpful!

It's an effective tool to get a message in front of our customers' faces, urging them to either take an action, or to provide valuable content they can use for their own business.

We are able to export lists as well to see who has engaged with our notifications, which is super helpful from a marketing standpoint.

Pendo review by Moshe M.
Moshe M.

"Great product, great company!"

What do you like best?

Everything is captured from day one and we can add features later on and get instant feedback on their usage going all the way back to day one if Pendo integration into our product. The company is great! They listen to their clients, build iteratively and constantly new features and improvements, great support, and ongoing seminars with tips as well as updates on new features.

What do you dislike?

Not much, but even missing features which I requested, I am sure will come up in the future. One missing feature right now is the ability to exclude a guide from a specific page so it can be easier to define it sitewide, with just one or two pages it should not show. Other than that, there is more work to be done to improve the way guide templates and general CSS is defined. Can be tricky for our designers.

- understanding how our clients using the product, which features are used and which not

- getting feedback from users on our product and features

- announcing new features

- Walkthroughs for new users

Pendo review by Bahar N.
Bahar N.

"Great product for understanding your customers and communicating with them"

What do you like best?

- Very helpful and professional team (Sales, Engineering, CSM). I enjoy working with everyone at Pendo.

- Easy setup for pages and features

- NPS

- Easy in-app guides to educate customers

- Good for companies with multiple products

What do you dislike?

- No live chat with customers and no real-time data sync

- Geological data is not captured (there is a way to do it, but not very straightforward)

- Some admin functionalities could be improved

Recommendations to others considering the product

Discuss your needs with the Pendo team. They do a great job explaining what your options are and how you could customize the tool to benefit from it. Then consider if this is the right tool for you

We wanted a tool which multiple teams can use to understand customers behaviour, help with on-boarding and engagement, and lets us communicate with customers. While Pendo doesn't have everything all other tools have, it has a lot to offer to various teams (product, CSM, Training, Sales, etc.). The fact that you could combine analytics, communication, and training under one roof was the reason we chose Pendo. The sales team and our CSM worked closely with us to answer all questions and resolve the issues. Everyone in our company is excited to start using Pendo!

Pendo review by Sarah B.
Sarah B.

"Pendo is exactly what our company was looking for"

What do you like best?

Pendo is easy to use, incredibly powerful, and always getting better. The best thing is how everything tracks retroactively so we don't have to anticipate what will be important to us with a new feature.

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't think of anything yet. The service is as great as the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's expensive, but it's worth it.

- Helping us understand our feature adoption

- Set and track product KPIs

- Gather feedback in the product

- Educate users in the product

Pendo review by Administrator

"Skipio Review"

What do you like best?

The analytics are great. We can see what features are being used the most by our customers, and which features are being used least and then use that information to make changes to the product.

What do you dislike?

We haven't had much luck getting the mobile side of Pendo working for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have somebody that knows how to write CSS, HTML and Java.

We are trying to see how our customers are engaged, and what they use most in the app. This allows us to make our app better with updates and increase customer satisfaction. We've also realized the benefit of the NPS Survey and are looking forward to using that feature of Pendo more.

Pendo review by Danny V.
Danny V.

"Pendo takes onboarding up a notch"

What do you like best?

Pendo is flexible and easy to use and can be quickly implemented in your environment. Pendo has great support that resolve issues fast.

What do you dislike?

As its still a newer product its growing and learning what its customers really need. Some integrations are harder than others.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Establish best practices early

Pendo is helping us onboard and train new users on our product quickly and effectively. We've drastically reduced support volumes by helping our customers help themselves.

Pendo review by Jake S.
Jake S.

"Fantastic usage tracking and interaction software"

What do you like best?

Pendo is awesome in that it allows us to easily see how people interact with our product. I'm able to easily go into the interface and find out exactly what path a user takes on the way to clicking on a given button. This really helps give insight into the user's thought process and gives us a read on how intuitive our placement of things are within the system. I also like that it enables us to interact with our customers using guides to show them how a new feature works.

What do you dislike?

A lot of times it can take a while to load data if you are querying a large dataset.

We are solving the need to see how our customers think when they are interacting with the program. We also use it to poll customers on how we are doing as a company.

Pendo review by Tom D.
Tom D.

"Powerful, intuitive, flexible analytics tool for Product Manager"

What do you like best?

Love how simple it is to managed pages and features on the fly and that it provides retrospective data on new tags form the moment you enabled Pendo. Gold. Guides are proving more and more valuable for Product specific messages and creeping into our EX process.

What do you dislike?

Speed is getting better but based in Australia can take a little bit of time to load. Ability to tidy up your tags, s spring clean if you like, is time consuming as must be done one by one.

New feature research and analysis, feature success reporting by release, new feature promotion using guides, NPS tracking

Pendo review by Duncan M.
Duncan M.

"Actionable insights for the whole team"

What do you like best?

Pendo has two main focuses: in app guides and product usage analytics. We originally signed up because we wanted a better way to inform our product team about which features were working and which needed attention. We quickly expanded our usage to the guides and replaced our own home grown messaging system with Pendo. This has eased the load on our dev team and empowered the product and marketing teams to move faster. The ability to target guides based on the depth of data Pendo provides allows us to give our users timely, relevant messaging.

What do you dislike?

Pendo has made a very positive impact on our organization overall, but like anything else, there are some weaknesses. The process of setting up guides takes some getting used to. While the guide editor has been improved since we started, it's not as straightforward as others on the market. For us, the power and flexibility of the guides outweighs the occasional clunkiness setting them up. This is an area the company has said will continue to be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't just think about this product as a tool for the Product Team, think about the potential benefits for the entire organization. We're just starting to leverage the software in our customer experience and marketing teams and we should have been realizing these gains sooner.

Prior to Pendo, we needed developer time for deeper product usage analytics and to keep our in-app messaging current. For a rapidly growing organization, that wasn't the best use of our resources. Pendo has given us better data than we had before and allowed non-developers on our team to create and update messaging. We've also moved all of our customer surveys to Pendo which has allowed us to combine the rich usage data with qualitative feedback.

Pendo review by Peter H.
Peter H.

"Pendo makes your users successful"

What do you like best?

I like how Pendo makes it easy for me to teach my app users just-in-time tips/tools so that they feel successful using a rather complex app.

What do you dislike?

I think their guides interface is a bit buggy and somewhat strange to navigate. They provide pretty good training though via their community Slack channel and support teams.

My app is complex to new users. Pendo makes it less complex by 1) helping me see where users get stuck and 2) giving me tools to help them just-in-time. Users are benefiting and therefore we are seeing more renewals.

Pendo review by Administrator

"Pendo has leveled up our Customer Success and Product insights"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to have pre-built reports that get creative juices flowing and then be able to easily get the data out. One of my favorite features is the ability to automate outreach through zapier.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes comparing different data sets based on time can be tricky. The time selection feature just takes a bit more time than I'd like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The ease of use and features is rock-solid. They also continue to innovate and build new interesting slices of data.

Measuring product success and user metrics. We've gained great visibility into how our product is used and the breadth, depth, and frequency of this usage.

Pendo review by Liz L.
Liz L.

"An excellent UX that packs a lot of processing power"

What do you like best?

Feature tagging—being able to tag a specific feature on a page, in addition to tracking views on the page itself.

What do you dislike?

Lack of many to many relationship—this is more of a result of our data model, an edge case that allows individual visitors to be attached to multiple "accounts" and accounts to have multiple unique visitors, which is something Pendo isn't optimized for.

Tracking success or failure of new products. Being able to use both the analytics that Pendo offers alongside feature tagging allows us to see what percentage of our users are discovering and using new features that we implement.

Pendo review by Justin T.
Justin T.

"We love the Pendo product and team!"

What do you like best?

You can retroactively query & analyze in Pendo, without having to have added lines of code into the product during the build. There are countless times with other products where I've thought of something I'd like to track after the fact- with Pendo, this isn't a problem and I can query instantly.

What do you dislike?

I look forward to more powerful mobile offerings. I know they're working on it & am excited to see what they release! We'll definitely put it to good use.

We use Pendo to track all sorts of user behavior and also power most of our in-app notifications.

Pendo review by Paul V.
Paul V.

"Improved the trial process for our B2B cloud software"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to create in-app guides without help from our engineering team. The analytics are also very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Currently the analytics are only available within the Pendo UI. We do most of our analysis in Power BI and Excel, and I wish Pendo had an API that would allow us to extract the usage data an analyze it externally.

We purchased Pendo primarily to improve the onboarding process in the free trial of our B2B cloud application. We use it to guide users through a fun scenario that helps them to use our product. We use the analytics to measure the guide results and to understand which features our customers use most often. We are also using the NPS survey feature.

Pendo allows us to do all of this without using our engineering resources.

Pendo review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Essential app intelligence for software companies"

What do you like best?

Retroactive behavior analysis (post tagging) - Forgot to label a button or page? No problem, the data is still there and goes all the way back to when the tag was added.

What do you dislike?

Some applications are much harder than others to tag (single page).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth it!

Measurable and detailed information about how customers are using our application enables smarter decision making. Not only can we make better assessments of what work to take on but we can better communicate with customers via in-app guides and notices targeted to specific individuals and accounts.

Pendo review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Awesome (Essential) Tool for SaaS Companies to Manage Product Usage"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the data analytics the most and overall versatility of the product, as multiple teams at my organization are able to leverage it's core functions. The granularity of these analytics are impressive and always accurate.

What do you dislike?

Can be intimidating when you first login, not sure where you should go or what to do. It can take awhile to learn the navigation and understand the system hierarchy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool for tracking customer engagement for software providers. It's capabilities go beyond analytics however, as the tool is also useful for training customers on your product through in-app walk through guides and in-app messaging to release new features and other important announcements. My product team has found it crucial to testing the response to feature releases and certain beta programs, and my success team is able to utilize the product usage metrics to identify potential churning accounts.

The product team at my company uses the tool primarily to track data usage, test new features, release in-app messaging and walk through tutorials to train our clients on the product. For myself, being in a financial role I mostly use the product to send in-app messaging to delinquent accounts and to track product usage for other late paying customers.

Learn more about Pendo

Pendo Videos

Learning about Pendo?

* We monitor all Pendo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
(89 reviews)