Photo Mechanics

Photo Mechanic is a standalone image browser and workflow accelerator that lets you view your digital photos with convenience and speed.

Work for Photo Mechanics?

Learning about Photo Mechanics?

Photo Mechanics Reviews

Showing 16 Photo Mechanics reviews
Photo Mechanics review by Angela L.
Angela L.

"PhotoMechanic for editing photos"

What do you like best?

This program is user-friendly, and allows you to view and edit a large batch of photos and easily mark your favorites for further editing. You can easily mark photos into different classes to sort. It is simple to embed caption and other information when saving the photos, and also simple to apply a basic crop when saving a batch of photos.

What do you dislike?

I have never really found anything to dislike about this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program also has a great feature if you shoot a lot of football. You can type in the roster, and it will let you use a code to fill in the names. It can be a real time saver. They also offer an educational discount.

I can easily tackle large groups of photos and narrow them down quickly. I use this product at work, and also at home for my personal work, which is mostly volunteer work photographing shelter pets for a local no-kill shelter. My personal computer is running an older version, but even the older program is great.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Photo Mechanics
Photo Mechanics review by Hailey G.
Hailey G.

"Cuts culling time in half!"

What do you like best?

I love that photo mechanic has made the culling process easier and more efficient. I like that I am able to star photos and rate them and then easily move them/sort them to new locations. When sorting through thousands of photos as a wedding photographer this has made that job far easier and faster! I also use this program for importing my photos and can see previews right away even from RAW files.

What do you dislike?

The program is limited and mostly has one sole function. I wish there was a way to rename files within the program. However, I do prefer the simplicity of the program and that it doesn't have many functions because it's perfect for the job I need it for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe any photographer would find this program very useful. and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to streamline their workflow.

It makes my post processing from weddings so much faster and easier. I've realized this is a must-need tool for any wedding photographer. I was previously using a very slow program that made this process much more difficult. This tool is almost exclusively for culling images so it's great at doing that job!

What Photo Management solution do you use?

Photo Mechanics review by Shannon M.
Shannon M.

"Best way to cull through a shoot"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use and sort through images. As a photojournalist and as a portrait photographer I use this daily to rename, sort, export and caption images. It allows you to copyright your images easily. I like to first go through an entire take - about 500 images and do an initial tag, then I go through my tagged images and break it down closer to the number of images I am looking for, normally from 8-50. I then color code them with numbers and get it down to only the pink tagged photos for my final take.

What do you dislike?

This is the only server I use to edit down a take. There is really nothing I can think of that I dislike about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

BEST! I would teach any photo student how to use this program in school. I did in my first photojournalism class. It is such a great tool.

Photo mechanics has an option to set hotkeys so it cuts down the time in captioning by half! It is amazing.

Photo Mechanics review by User in Higher Education

"Photo Mechanic is great for choosing your photos"

What do you like best?

The ease of scrolling through images one by one and tagging them, as well as assigning stars and colors to rate them. I love the zoom tool to make sure it's in focus, and how you can go through images continually zoomed in. I also love the comparison feature, to be able to view images side by side to pick the best one. We also tag our images with structured keywords for easy searching in our digital asset library.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was more similar to Bridge in regards to Photoshop. It is very easy to launch an image directly into Photoshop from Photo Mechanic, but you can't fix an image in Photoshop and then copy and paste that "fix" onto other images in Photo Mechanic, like you can in Bridge. (Batch editing pretty much)

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is great software for looking through many images. You can tag, rate, compare, name and export. You can open in Photoshop with a click of a button as well. However, it doesn't batch Photoshop like Bridge does with the copying and pasting Photoshop "fixes" to multiple images at once. But we use it in combination with Bridge for a very smooth workflow. We use the structured keywords in Photo Mechanic to add metadata to our images for easy searching in our digital asset library. This is crucial, as we cannot do this in Bridge, since Photo Mechanic allows a tiered hierarchy of keywords that correctly represents our image details.

I use Photo Mechanic for importing photos and tagging them. It is very useful since I am editing large batches of images at a time, and I can enlarge the thumbnails to see an overview, or use the magnifying glass to go through one by one. I also tag the images with structured keywords for easy searching in our digital asset library. This is extremely critical to our end users trying to find a particular image.

Photo Mechanics review by User in Legal Services
User in Legal Services

"Convenient Photo Sorting Tool"

What do you like best?

Photo Mechanic makes is very easy to sort my photos quickly with customizable labels and filters. I rarely experience a lag in preview load times, so I am able to sort my photos as fast as I can click. The zoom function is also super responsive and helpful.

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike anything in particular, as I was able to customize the program in preferences to suit my needs.

Photo Mechanic streamlines my workflow significantly, which improves the speed at which I am able to process my photos. The program is fast, and I am able to cull quickly, so I only import what I want to edit into Lightroom. Now I'm not wasting time importing pictures I do not need, as well as having to sort in a slower program. Being able to selectively filter based off color class also helps me to get a sense of what I actually have, by quickly showing me all my picks together. This allows me to remove unneeded duplicates before I edit.

Photo Mechanics review by Peter F.
Peter F.

"Optimise your Photographic Workflow"

What do you like best?

Photo Mechanics is the first step in my digital workflow after the photo shoot: Importing, archiving, applying keywords, selecting the best shots and then handing them over to the imaging software of my choice. All this within minutes. Being able to define a set of shortcuts and then use them to quickly apply descriptions, headlines or only keywords to selected images is very useful during event-photography jobs. The possibility to upload directly into the cloud or any server is another big plus.

What do you dislike?

It's not really a dislike - but I am eagerly waiting for the announced cataloging component of Photo Mechanics. Having this at hand would make the package complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a true no-brainer. The software is available for testing as a trial version for a month giving everybody enough time to see if it fits into the individual workflow. A guarantee you it will.

The software allows me to be super fast and efficient on location and back in the studio.

Photo Mechanics review by Cecelia S.
Cecelia S.

"Editing time cut in half"

What do you like best?

Photomechanic has literally cut my culling time in half (or more!). The instant rendering of images has given me so much more time!

What do you dislike?

The interface is not user friendly or self explanatory. I had to watch a fair share of YouTube videos in order to get the hang of how to simply cull my images, let alone use additional features.

I am culling quicker than I ever have in 5 years of photo culling, therefore giving me more time to work on other projects (or not work at all!)

Photo Mechanics review by Julie H.
Julie H.

"Game Changer"

What do you like best?

For a long time I heard other photographers raving about Photo Mechanic. I finally downloaded the free trial and culled a wedding using the program. I must have been doing it wrong, because I didn't feel it really saved me any time. Previously I had been culling as I edited in Adobe Lightroom rather than culling the photos and then importing them for editing. It was pretty hard to determine how much time I was spending on culling since it was mixed in with editing. After a friend finally showed me her method of tagging the photos to keep and deleting the rest, I finally realized how amazing Photo Mechanic is. I can now cull a portrait session in 10 minutes or less, and cull an all day wedding in 30 minutes to an hour. Plus, if I need to zoom in on an image to check its sharpness, I don't have to wait for the full image to load. So great!

What do you dislike?

I do feel like the images look less crisp than in Adobe Lightroom. I also felt like it wasn't very intuitive to use the first few times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it! Check out the free trial and watch a tutorial or ask a friend about the best way to use it. You'll be so much more efficient in your workflow!

It's saving me so much time on post-shoot workflow.

Photo Mechanics review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"If you edit photos professionally, you NEED Photo Mechanic"

What do you like best?

The speed. It's a very customizable photo viewer, manager, and inject system. It was designed with photojournalists in mind.

What do you dislike?

Roadmap on the future with the software. It does 98% of I want it to do, but no one knows what features are coming in the future. I've been on version 5 for several years -- all with bug fixes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it. You won't regret it. It's a very thought out system with many version changes -- because the author address bugs and features. It's great to have such a well sorted out software to rely on.

I use PM to process images and send them to Photoshelter / Libris. It makes the process much easier than using Lightroom.

Photo Mechanics review by Trung H.
Trung H.

"A game changer for viewing/culling high volumes of photographs"

What do you like best?

Being able to flip through hundreds or thousands of RAW images with zero delay between images, regardless of resolution.

What do you dislike?

Software is slightly dated looking, but it gets the job done.

Reviewing a large number of photographs in a timely manner is always a challenge. There's always a bottleneck with other methods, be it general software speed, rendering times, or hardware limitations. Photo Mechanic overcomes all of those problems with the way in which it utilizes the built in JPEG previews.

Photo Mechanics review by User in Higher Education

"Photo Mechanics has help my higher ed institution work more efficiently!"

What do you like best?

Photo mechanics allows us to view and mark pictures very efficiently. It helps us choose photos for certain publications and our graphics department can easily find them.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally I have difficulty learning how to do something in Photo Mechanics. It's harder to find the questions by googling, but I eventually figure it out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a must if you have a lot of images that you need to organize and search often. This software has been a lifesaver for my office.

We were having trouble viewing a lot of images at once and it was very difficult to mark images for someone else to use. Those things are now solved.

Photo Mechanics review by Arika S.
Arika S.

"A great product for photographers looking to speed up their workflow"

What do you like best?

ability to cull through my images fast and easy.

What do you dislike?

not being able to import multiple folders together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GET IT NOW! Improve your workflow. This program eases the use of selecting which images to edit.

I am able to quickly select my images for editing. My images load high-resolution quickly and I am able to cull through 3,000 images in under an hour.

Photo Mechanics review by Marius S.
Marius S.

"Photographer's invaluable support application"

What do you like best?

Memory card ingestion, with user variables for folder and image naming, meta-tags automated editing, image categorization and culling

What do you dislike?

Interface could be polished a little more

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to learn about all of its automation features, they will become invaluable tools

Memory cards with shootings are ingested with ease and speed

Photo Mechanics review by User in Higher Education

"Great program and very easy to use "

What do you like best?

The easy of use makes this program invaluable.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it doesn't transfer over when I have to do a Time Machine backup. It adds another activation when I reinstall it.

Photo editing, archiving, batch captioning, ftp, launching in photoshop, rating, keyboarding, etc.

Photo Mechanics review by Samantha W.
Samantha W.

"Photo Mechanic is Awesome!"

What do you like best?

The short amount of time it takes for raw files to load. Culling is a breeze.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It saves you so much time! Buy it now!

Culling my images faster and better.

Photo Mechanics review by User in Photography
User in Photography

"Changed Culling Forever"

What do you like best?

I love that instead of going through all my photos and deleting some, I'm now choosing what to keep in the first place.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I would change about this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This has changed my life for culling! I now cull a 2000 image wedding in under an hour, whereas it used to take me multiple hours. I also end up delivering much higher quality selects to my clients because I have more energy going through all of them!

My culling time is much faster and more efficient.

Learning about Photo Mechanics?

* We monitor all Photo Mechanics reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.