phpMyAdmin

phpMyAdmin is a free software tool written in PHP, intended to handle the administration of MySQL over the World Wide Web.

Work for phpMyAdmin?

Learning about phpMyAdmin?

phpMyAdmin Reviews

Ask phpMyAdmin a Question
Showing 77 phpMyAdmin reviews
phpMyAdmin review by Jose F.
Jose F.

"PhpMyAdmin gran herramienta para la gestión de bases de datos."

What do you like best?

Es muy facil de instalar y administrar, los profesionales del sector de las bases de datos, la gran mayoría dicen que phpmyadmin es una basura, yo opino todo lo contrario cuenta con una comunidad de desarrolladores detrás que da confianza, siempre esta actualizado y por defecto con "Xampp"

What do you dislike?

PhpMyAdmin deja mucho que desear en el apartado visual, no es que sea un producto muy atractivo, comparado con otros gestores de base de datos, lo bueno que tiene Phpmyadmin es que es simple pero cumple su función

Recommendations to others considering the product

PhpMyAdmin es muy intuitivo, su interfaz no es que sea muy agradable pero cumple con sus requisitos y funciones, personalmente la recomiendo a cualquier persona, ya seas un becario, novato o un gran profesional, es ligero y facil de instalar,

Siempre utilizo phpmyadmin para la gestión de las bases de datos de cualquier sitio web, es muy fácil de manejar para cualquier persona que no este muy acostumbrada a manejar bases de datos, con Phpmyadmin eliminas cualquier restriccion por no "saber", te lo da todo mascado.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about phpMyAdmin
phpMyAdmin review by Aníbal M.
Aníbal M.

"PhpMyadmin is my favorite client to connect to MYSQL and MariaDB databases"

What do you like best?

To start phpMyAdmin is free this is fabulous, I can install a database client at no cost, another thing I like about phpmyadmin is that it can be installed on any operating system I have installed it indiscriminately on Windows and Linux operating systems. Another important advantage is that being a web client it is available throughout the network that as long as you have access to the service you can even have it available through the internet. I liked that it is possible to connect to different database servers from a single installation of phpmyadmin after a small configuration.

What do you dislike?

There are not many things that I like about phpmyadmin, I think the user interface can be more careful, the syntax highlighting and the autocomplete in the SQL editor are not present. These features would be great in phpMyAdmin. The assignment of privileges within phpMyadmin sometimes fails, which forces me to perform this action through the mysql console.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Install phpmyadmin now, it is free and very useful for the developments, it is easy to understand for developers and you just have to configure one for everyone to have access, configure the particular accesses on the databases if you have several projects at the same time avoid using the root user in your projects

I have used phpMyadmin for more than 5 years to solve many problems with databases, backups, restorations, data manipulation to solve problems of information inconsistencies. As for the benefits I have carried out several projects which has brought me the congratulations of my bosses and my clients.

What Non-Native Database Management Systems solution do you use?

phpMyAdmin review by Carlos Aogusto M.
Carlos Aogusto M.

"Excellent tool to manage MySql databases."

What do you like best?

PhpMyAdmin is an excellent tool for managing Mysql databases, its visual interface is super intuitive and relatively easy to use.

We can download and use it for free, its web interface allows us to work comfortably and perform any type of operations that we need with our database and execute any sql sentence.

Import and export our database is very simple and very useful as it speeds up our work.

What do you dislike?

I really like this tool, but it only allows working with Mysql databases leaving other options out, also the amount of databases to handle is limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is great to work with this tool, I think it is the best way to work with MySql databases, it is light, free to use and with very good features that allow a complete management of our databases

In my company we usually work with systems and websites where most of the databases are MySql and managed with phpMyAdmin. This tool is very useful and makes our work much easier.

phpMyAdmin review by Olimar P.
Olimar P.

"phpMyAdmin, makes everything easier"

What do you like best?

is an open source tool, which facilitates the administration of databases based on Mysql, thanks to its very intuitive user interface to perform all the tasks required by a DB: creation of tables, fields, backups, operations with fields and import of data from different formats, such as spreadsheets, widely used by end users. One of its great advantages is the interface to run querys to add, subtract or modify data and the evaluation of the time it takes, which represents a great utility when measuring the performance of the applications in which the BD is to be implemented. Although it is not a tool for end users, its usability allows it to be a great substitute for spreadsheets and for cases in which applications can take a long time to develop, it can be used for future operators of the applications, can load data directly to the BD, while the development of the application ends. It is a great tool with 19 years of evolution, to make prototypes of BD and to be able to measure and visualize statistics of BD performance.

What do you dislike?

must improve capacity problems when importing very large BD. you should be able to choose between several themes in different colors, which would make your use more pleasant

Recommendations to others considering the product

to make the administration of BD in MySQL easier using phpMyAdmin, the graphical environment is very intuitive and nice

we use phpMyAdmin to import data that start loading in spreadsheets and end up in a DB, as it should be

phpMyAdmin review by Mohan K.
Mohan K.

"Easy to manage database management application"

What do you like best?

There is no any feature that i didn't like.All features are nice in phpMyAdmin such as Database import and export, import with support of older version of phpMyAdmin,Export only structure/data, search through the database, easily rename table name, easily change storage engine, Easy to define primary or other keys.

What do you dislike?

phpMyAdmin doesn't provide much more themes. It provides few themes also but I tried mostly not stable themes. At some places, all themes seem not supported.Other thing i din't like for phpMyAdmin is that mostly windows PC users can use this application and its also available for mac OS but its not easy to install in mac OS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Actually, no need for the recommendation because who are using Windows PC ( mostly Developers ) or for live sites mostly buy Linux Panel always comes with phpMyAdmin. But still, who are using VPS / AWS, I recommend installing phpMyAdmin as database management application.

Mostly for WordPress sites i used phpMyAdmin ( which is inbuilt in CPanel ) to create database.Otherthan, i used search feature to find anything within whole database helped me many times. Writing directly queries in SQL tab is also helped me.I also used export features to export only structure of database ( not data ). I used DataDictionary feature every time while i used InnoDB storage Engine. In Mostly application data dictionary used for make relationship between 2 tables make very easy.So phpMyAdmin helped me many ways comparing to any other Database Management Application.

phpMyAdmin review by Ajmeri S.
Ajmeri S.

"Best Free database management tool with PHP"

What do you like best?

I am using PHPMyAdmin since I was done my bachelors in college annually projects! The PHPMyAdmin is the best database management tool with PHP. In my company, we are using it for all applications.

it's solid, it has all the features mostly we need to develop easy to complex applications in PHP.

Installation is very easy and very fast. the PHPMyAdmin also have database normalization which helps us to split complex data-structure of the table into sub-tables.

Phpmyadmin easily handles huge size of the database. in terms of performance and speed if you manage tables in optimize manner then you will get the best speed performance compared to other database management tools.

The user easily accesses phpmyadmin because of its great GUI layout. a normal user can also do database management tasks such as insert table, remove the table, add a column to the table.

The Phpmyadmin is best for new beginners too. if you want to use the best database management tool as a beginner or expert then you are choosing best tool.

What do you dislike?

The PHPMyAdmin does have No schema visualization like MySQL / MySQL workbench. if PHPMyAdmin adds this features then it will save lots of time for people who are suited best with visualization.

Using PHPMyAdmin I am developing applications and manage application features such as store data, retrieve data and remove data from a database within easy steps and in the fastest way. PHPMyAdmin helps me to develop and manage database tasks in the very easy way and also very helpful to develop the application with complex data storage features.

phpMyAdmin review by Shreya D.
Shreya D.

"phpMyAdmin - A tool to handle operations in MySql and Maria DB"

What do you like best?

phpMyAdmin is an easy to use tool to make any modifications in the MySql database. Database, Tables creations is done very easily with the use of wizard. We can also import data from CSV and SQL. Different user accounts with different level or privileges can be created. We can also run any stored procedure or triggers. We can export the data to any format such as SQL, EXCEL, CSV, PDF, XML etc.

What do you dislike?

There is no schema visualization in phpMyAdmin. Foreign Key identification is difficult. No code or syntax error highlighting available. It takes sometimes ages to find the syntax error which could be frustrating at times. There is no option to save the queries in the working directory. We need to copy paste our work into notepad or any other text editor to save the queries every time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend phpMyAdmin to anyone who is at a beginner level when it comes to database creation and management. If we just follow the steps listed in the tool, anyone can create a database, load the data into it and manipulate it

phpMyAdmin is an interactive, intuitive IDE used to create and manage MySQL and Maria databases. We can perform various operations such as selection, updation, insertion and deletion of data from tables. Database, tables, indexes, sequences, stored procedures, triggers and other database object creation can be performed either by writing queries or through a wizard

phpMyAdmin review by Feliciano R.
Feliciano R.

"La administración de MySQL es muy fácil con esta herramienta"

What do you like best?

PhpMyAdmin es muy fácil de instalar, configurar y usar. PhpMyAdmin es un dispositivo fácil de usar para realizar modificaciones dentro de la base de datos MySql. Podemos exportar los datos a cualquier formato incluido SQL, EXCEL, CSV, PDF, XML, etc. phpMyAdmin podría ser muy suave de aplicar, incluso para los principiantes es sólido, tiene todas las funciones que normalmente queremos expandir de forma suave a aplicaciones complicadas en PHP

What do you dislike?

Pero no es esencial, admiro que el grupo está orientado a funciones en lugar de CSS. Quizás desee tener el potencial de registrar todas las consultas enviadas a través de la utilidad. Otra cosa que no me gusta es que puede unirse a más de un servidor para se configuró un phpma pero puede ser más efectivo administrarlos por separado Además, como una forma de agregar los datos, tengo que convertir el registro a cvs, lo que hace que el aspecto del formato de estadísticas sea más complejo para determinar cuándo la carga tiene errores. Estas características podrían Sé espléndido en phpMyAdmin

Recommendations to others considering the product

No lo use si usted es un usuario intermedio, CLI le ofrece una gran cantidad de personalización, por lo que, antes de imponerle más atención al uso que desea hacer de esta herramienta, el producto principal de Realy está listo para comenzar a limpiar los registros del navegador de Internet. Asegúrate de configurarlo de una manera cómoda, ya que de lo contrario será un hueco de seguridad. Nada puede reemplazar un libro de acuerdo con mi control de fotos basado en la Web para fotos.

Controlamos las bases de datos de la tienda y el almacén. Mientras desarrollamos sitios web diseñados a medida para nuestros clientes, a menudo necesitamos crear tablas y vistas de bases de datos adicionales para cumplir con los requisitos. Mostrar bases de datos e información de forma fácil e inesperada. Creación de nuevas bases de datos MySQL en nuestro servidor de red cercano y con proveedores de alojamiento web compartido. Incluso he hecho que muchos sitios web se utilicen, se ha convertido en un estándar.

phpMyAdmin review by Matteo M.
Matteo M.

"Nice free service"

What do you like best?

I've been using phpMyAdmin since I started working with Mysql. I found myself immediately at ease and I have almost never encountered errors. In the case, however, the errors were not known enough to search the web to find a solution immediately.

What do you dislike?

I like a little less the graphical interface, old-fashioned and not very user-friendly. We should adapt it to the present day with maybe the Material Design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent software but with a non-intuitive interface, it should be reused with modern styles. Despite this, I recommend it to anyone, be it professional or "home" user. Simple to install and very light, it can be installed on any operating system. He never presented problems of any kind. However, if any errors are found, the community is always ready to help and solve the problem.

I use it in all my projects where maybe you have to keep the costs to a minimum.

phpMyAdmin review by Greg D.
Greg D.

"PHP MyAdmin is the brains of my operation."

What do you like best?

The thing I like best about PHPMyAdmin is that I can quickly find and edit issues within the database of my Wordpress sites. Many times, when Wordpress has issues and won't allow my clients to login, I can simply go through my hosting dashboard, right to PHPMyAdmin and fix the issue directly in the site's database. This allows me to get them running again fast.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike the most about PHPMyAdmin is the user interface. It feels clunky and old-school. For the sheer number of sites that are built on databases connected to PHPMyAdmin, I would think they could freshen the UI a bit and make operations easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time and learn how to write basic queries. Even if you're not a programmer, knowing how to get around in this program is very helpful.

I use PHPMyAdmin to resolve technical issues on my clients' websites. I use it when I migrate sites from one domain to another. And I use it when I have to retrieve data from previous versions of web pages. In short it's mostly a tech support tool for me.

phpMyAdmin review by Marina R.
Marina R.

"Fácil gestión de MySQL"

What do you like best?

- Una vez que dominas la interfaz, es muy sencillo crear y modificar bases de datos.

- Admite SQL

- Es un estándar

- Es gratuito

- Buen soporte y mucha información disponible en la red

What do you dislike?

Podría mejorarse la usabilidad, aunque es relativamente sencillo crear y modificar bases de datos cuando dominas la plataforma.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si utilizas bases de datos MySQL, PhpMyadmin te ayudará gratamente a la hora de crear tus BBDD y tablas así como en su gestión, de manera ágil e intuitiva.

Gestiono las bases de datos de todos mis clientes de un solo vistazo

phpMyAdmin review by Xisco R.
Xisco R.

"Manage from web"

What do you like best?

Its very easy to install specially on linux servers. Thanks to being web based I can manage my mysql databases practically from anywhere, wich is very helpful. It requires low spec hardware to work, thanks to that you can install it almost on any computer.

What do you dislike?

Its has what you can call nowadays a very dated interface, it looks old and some of the options are hard to find because of the UI distributions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its free so you can try if it meets your requirements, but Im sure it will, it worked great for me.

Helps me solve the problem to acces and manage my Mysql databases that we I have on the different linux servers. It eased the task of managing them from anywhere thanks to work in web.

phpMyAdmin review by Donald G.
Donald G.

"Great Web Based SQL Manager"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy the portability of phpMyAdmin. Having a local SQL manager is great, but having a web-based one that is accessible anywhere I have an internet connection is a real plus.

What do you dislike?

While effective, sometimes it takes way to many clicks to accomplish what I want to do. It would also be helpful to have some javascript for autocompletion of table/column names when I'm typing out a query.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't write it off simply because it's been around for a while. They are still innovating and provide a great software.

I use phpMyAdmin for accessing SQL databases on the go. It's been around for a while, so the learning curve for new users/team members is pretty low, and they are able to get up and running fairly quickly. Having a tool that is easy to use and administer helps a lot.

phpMyAdmin review by Naresh M.
Naresh M.

"PHPAdmin - Usability review"

What do you like best?

The best part is that it allows me to do table manipulations as well as perform SQL queries/script execution on the actual server with data. I don't need to setup a mirror anymore or execute the query to find out that I mistyped a ",". Quickly looking at data in the table helps in most cases when either adding a new feature or fixing a bug.

What do you dislike?

Some of the UI can be quite confusing especially if you have not done it before using PHPMyAdmin. Browsing the database structure, for example, can be a bit confusing when the indexes are not displayed in the main DB structure but a separate table just below the main. If your table design is very complex, it can be a bit confusing really trying to figure out the relationships.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest to use it if you are not interested in plotting in-depth DB relationships.

I run my own site and am using primarily Wordpress as well as phpGedView which uses MySQL as a backend. And I need to use phpMyAdmin to monitor/manipulate the DB as needed especially since my site host only provides one DB. So all my hosted SW has to use this one DB only and multiple DBs cannot be created. I am using SW_prefix in different tables to keep the SW from messing around with one another's tables.

phpMyAdmin review by Michael G.
Michael G.

"phpMyAdmin succeeds as an administration tool in a Higher Education setting"

What do you like best?

Being able to access DBMS features within the browser context is the great strength of phpMyAdmin. It's great for administering MySQL or MariaDB DBMS's and performing quick and simple tasks. The portability of a simple DBMS administration tool is what is key here. I don't have to install anything on the client/development machine other than a browser. If I need to access the backend database remotely, and don't feel like using the command line interface, I can do so. It's also great for helping end-users understand the underlying architecture and database structure, and for creating ad-hoc reports on the fly. phpMyAdmin, while not completely necessary is a great addition to any developer's tool kit.

What do you dislike?

The setup of phpMyAdmin on the server side could be more streamlined. The interface as a whole is not really well-suited for multi-tasking. It's great for simple tasks, but I find myself using a tool like MySQL WorkBench for more complicated tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be aware of the security vulnerabilities that come with opening up your database backends to be accessible via the web. It's best, obviously, not to make phpMyAdmin publically accessible. If you do, you're just asking for trouble.

We develop backend database and search applications in a higher education library setting in order to suit student and faculty needs. Most of our applications are built upon open source running on LAMP stacks and phpMyAdmin simplifies administration of the underlying database management systems that power them.

phpMyAdmin review by Tom B.
Tom B.

"Easy-to-use MySQL DMBS"

What do you like best?

phpMyAdmin is the only MySQL DMBS that I'll use for a number of reasons. One of which being its ease of use - it's just so simple to set up and everything is as intuitive as you'd like a DBMS to be.

What do you dislike?

There's not much that comes to mind when you think about the negatives of this software, but if I had to pick something it'd have to be that the design hasn't really changed much over the years. I know this isn't a big problem as the functionality is always improving, but it'd be cool to have it match the material design of the other web applications I use on a daily basis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that you read the setup and usage guides thoroughly before diving into this product. It's easy to use but easy to make a mistake when setting up the software. Make sure your setup is safe! There are many malicious tools available to exploit unsecured pma installations, and not having a root password is a definite no-no.

Other than that, it's very easy to use, just use it like any other DBMS you'd use otherwise and expand the possibilities.

It gives a great visual representation of our databases, allowing us to create complex data solutions for our applications. It also allows us to delegate access to each database easily without having to type out each command individually, which is important with the type of data we're handling.

phpMyAdmin review by Lucas M.
Lucas M.

"Not only the standard but the best online database admin"

What do you like best?

I use it everyday to deal with my xampp server database, it's simple and objective, but what I like most is how much it evolved. An objective and simple interface make it easy to manage multiple databases, including a grouping function into the list. Multiple columns change at the same time, fast field value editor and a console in the latest version.

What do you dislike?

It would make an amazing standalone app, something that is missing from the company. Some autocomplete and real-time column search would help to be assertive in the query field. Also, it would be amazing a junction of the GUI interface with a text query validation so you can double check before the changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When managing a database table you can easily change values from a field with two clicks into that field.

In localhost I use it to keep me sane, having every database into the same container make it easy to work with, as a small agency and afterward a digital product developer like modules, plugins, and themes for e-commerce. Every server that has it as the main database admin, especially the latest version wins my business, when you have multiple clients in different servers it's easy to manage when every of them has the same database interface.

phpMyAdmin review by Ankit R.
Ankit R.

"An excellent tool for database management"

What do you like best?

phpMyAdmin is easy to install, fast and convenient for almost every management related task while setting up MySQL databases. Very fine settings can be toggled, all data can be checked (using SQL queries) and users can be easily managed. Great tool. Open source.

What do you dislike?

Nothing particular. The most annoying part might be the slow speed of refresh when working with large databases, which I expect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please try it out before using any other tool for database management,

While working with MySQL database setup, using the command terminal is not always convenient and phpMyAdmin allows for the GUI for fast and granular setup for databases. Adding new databases and changing its settings is very easy with this tool. Adding new users and allowing them permission is one of the most commonly used feature.

phpMyAdmin review by Chris P.
Chris P.

"Very popular; does the job well"

What do you like best?

It's the universal solution. You'll find it on every cPanel server, and lots of others as well. It's also very easy to set up yourself in most cases, either as a package install or standalone application.

What do you dislike?

Some of the system-level configuration options are not very intuitive. Certain edge cases can be hard to configure. Not a major issue, since it addresses the core use cases very well. Managing keys/indexes is not super intuitive, but once you know how it works it's decent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If it's already installed in your hosting environment, then it's an easy call to make. If not, just make sure your environment is well-supported. Consider security risks - in some cases it may open up too much access without careful configuration.

Database access through a full-featured web GUI. Quick ability to visualize data structures through a web app.

phpMyAdmin review by Alexander K.
Alexander K.

"Access MySQL DB from anywhere"

What do you like best?

phpMyAdmin is default MySQL database management tool for PHP based websites. Just install it on server and have access to local DBs even if they aren't accessible from remote for security reasons. It has all the DB management features like database creation/edit/drop, user management and query execution. It also has integrated backup/restore features.

What do you dislike?

As phpMyAdmin is a web service it has lack of features that classic appications for DB management has like query history, "drag-and-drop" and some local settings.

I prefer to use classic application if i have direct DB access but if i haven't i really like to use phpMyAdmin. Also PMA has one big advantage: SQL commands are executed directly on server so you don't have network lags.

phpMyAdmin review by Jose  P.
Jose P.

"A great free tool to manage Mysql databases."

What do you like best?

PhpMyAdmin is a fantastic tool dedicated to managing Mysql databases. It is very easy to use and at the same time very powerful. It has every little feature you could require to access, modify and manage your Mysql databases. One of the best features of this piece of software is the import and export feature. It is very easy to use making the task of producing backups very quick.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike but if I had to say something would be the menu on the top left corner. It is small and misleading.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You need some DB knowledge.

We manage the databases of the shop and the warehouse.

phpMyAdmin review by Brian M.
Brian M.

"The simple way to manage you PHP and MySQL"

What do you like best?

Its a one stop shop for your php and database administration. One of the best things about phpmyadmin is that it is open source which means it is free. This can save a company a lot of money without having to buy expensive software licenses.

What do you dislike?

Personally I like the feel and design of actual software applications than using a browser based tool. Software and built and designed better. Another thing I don't like is that you can connect multiple servers to one phpma installation but you can only administer them one at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy way to manage MySQL databases.

It is great for employees who don't have a software solution like Navicat to run queries, create database, etc. And probably the best thing about it is that it is open source.

phpMyAdmin review by Fabio A.
Fabio A.

"Handy but not for everyone"

What do you like best?

It is as fast as it can be, it easy to use, the database can be created in a split second and once you get used to with all the parameters of mySql phpMyAdmin is really a must-use tool. Last but not least, It comes open source and free. One feature I enjoy is that It offers a simple and useful import/export function. I never felt there is any bug or any function that doesn't work properly.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, some error messages could be written in a more friendly way if I really have to find something that could be improved. phpMyAdmin is an html based software, hard to make it more efficent that it is without falling in possible problems with browser compatibilty.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nothing can substitute a book according to me. phpMyAdmin is a tool to handle MySql, but of course you need to know MySql first and a good book about MySql and how you can interact with it through PHP is a "must". Once you know what you want to get, phpMyAdmin is truely the tool you need, the only tool you need. I've experience different versions of phpMyAdmin, both online and on my local machine based on an Apache server. phpMyAdmin may have slight changes from version to version but the core of it stays always the same.

MySql is a web-oriented databse, PhpMyAdmin is the tool to create the database, shape it, and manage it.

phpMyAdmin review by Luis S.
Luis S.

"phpMyAdmin is very lite and usefull"

What do you like best?

It´s very easy to use, install and manage, great developer community behind it. When tell me that the database to use is phpMyAdmin, I feel a great surprise because other clients normally use other payed database.

What do you dislike?

It must have a better look to make this product more atracttive. Compared with other administrator databases admin sites, this product is very simple but it met all requierements

Recommendations to others considering the product

phpMyAdmin it a great recommendation to everybody who wants to have a simple database

It let me to make a quickly database installation to test my develope in every tasks that i have to make dairy

phpMyAdmin review by User in Building Materials
User in Building Materials

"Phpadmin was not very user friendly"

What do you like best?

The biggest thing I liked about this tool is it allowed me to upload fairly large data quickly. In addition, to append a table was very simple and the look of the tool is nice and modern.

What do you dislike?

Maybe because I am still new at using this but I am not able to just copy and paste data into the table (instead of uploading) which is a pain to do every time. Furthermore, in order to upload the data, I have to convert the file to cvs which makes the data format aspect more complicated to figure out when the upload has an error.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your headers do not contain spaces. Use underscores to replace the space. Otherwise the tool will not allow you to upload data

I use this in order to link My Sql database to another reporting engine so that I can run reports using both external data and data within our ERP system.

phpMyAdmin review by André M.
André M.

"Great web-based tool"

What do you like best?

The best thing is that it is "web-based" and you won't need to install anything to your computer, as hosts will have it by default and you can access it through your control panel. With phpMyAdmin you have an interface to your database where you can perform most (if not all) actions you need. It has been out and around for quite a while, so it is very reliable and pretty much bug free.

What do you dislike?

I always thought that the interface for keys (primary and foreign) are a little bit confusing. Also lacks the option to create ER diagrams.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This a free tool, easy to install (most of the times included by default in wamp/lamp packages) and available in many web hosts. So if you never used, give it a try.

I have used phpMyAdmin in almost all projects I have worked on that needed a MySQL database, mostly not to project and create the db but to administer it. I mean, it is the fastest way to access your data if you are using a web host.

phpMyAdmin review by Edward F.
Edward F.

"The gold standard for hosted server MySQL database management"

What do you like best?

phpMyAdmin is very easy to install, configure and use. It's easy to understand from the perspective of an application developer using it to administrate their own database, and it's also easy to deploy in a way that multiple users for different websites and databases can use it securely in a web hosting environment.

What do you dislike?

The interface could be better, over the years there have been minor changes but for the vast majority of users most of the interface won't be used - so having some options to hide some interface elements would be good.

phpMyAdmin is still tied to MySQL and MariaDB - there's no reason why it couldn't be successful with other databases since similar tools for PostgreSQL aren't as well maintained.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're using PHP and MySQL and don't want to have tools installed locally to manage your database, phpMyAdmin is the standard to install and use to maintain your database.

As a developer working on an application that used PHP and MySQL, phpMyAdmin was always one of the first things I installed after getting the web server, PHP, MySQL set up. I would use it to make changes to my database, perform back ups, and administrate the database for small to medium sized applications. This worked for me successfully until I moved into other work that didn't involve PHP.

I've also been an administrator, setting up hosted environments for multiple users and would install and configure phpMyAdmin for users to manage their own databases. This worked very well for over 90% of my users.

phpMyAdmin review by User in Internet

"Using phpMyAdmin to manage mySQL databases for all websites I develop and maintain."

What do you like best?

Web browser based, no frills, fast and easy to use. Very stable, have not had any problems at all. Let's you get done with what you need to do. Seems to be one of the most commonly used tools so learning to use it is a good investment.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is not the prettiest - but it works. When working direct with SQL queries the UI is a little confusing at first but not a big deal. You get used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just learn to use it - time well spent.

While creating customized websites for our clients we often need to create additional database tables and views to fulfill the requirements. phpMyAdmin lets us do that without a major learning curve. For designing/modeling the database it might not be the best tool as you might want something with a graphical user interface to run on your computer, like MySQL Workbench. However while testing your design etc it works perfectly fine.

phpMyAdmin review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"useful for beginners and intermediate users too"

What do you like best?

PhpMyAdmin has become the standard de facto for MySQL DB management in shared hosting servers, it's open source and free to download, my most liked features are: web interface, ajax features in the last versions, logs the last executed query created with the builtin wizard.

What do you dislike?

The web interface, even if more user friendly, is slower than the CLI interface. Another minus is that you should install a version compatible with the hosting system, so if the LAMP server is not updated to the required version you could miss the features you need. Even security is a pitfall, it requires precautions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

don't use it if you are intermediate users, CLI gives you much more customization, so before to implement it take in consideration the use you want to make of this tool. For the same reason I advice to check the requirements of the version of your server stack. PhpMyAdmin exposes your db to the Internet so take in consideration all the connected security issues. Don't install it in the same folder of your website and use it only on SSL secure https sessions, You need to use this tool with care if you are not the only user enabled, create different users with lower permissions as you will do with every DB. Ultimately protect your connections in some way or choose another tool.

small businesses with low budget for there project take benefit from the use of this software. I used it for years to maintain small business corporate and e-commerce websites, with small amount of time I could make backups, complex queries and several other operations without the need to have access via ssh.

Even in mobility I could make my ordinary and extraordinary db administration using a notepad or a tablet with mobility connection.

phpMyAdmin review by Administrator in Program Development
Administrator in Program Development

"Easy non-db admins administrations"

What do you like best?

PHPMyAdmin provides a way to administrate a mysql database with little knowledge about SQL queries, also provides an easy way to show the data to those persons who doesn't know anything about databases and have the needing of edit, delete, insert and create records before an end-user system is created.

What do you dislike?

PHPMyAdmin is a difficult tool to integrate with existent enviroments, its comes with a lot of preconfigured packages and it works well but when you need to integrate to an existent infrastructure is a little bit difficult. Also I dislike that language in what it is written because if you will use an application in Python and you won't install any PHP libraries is an incovenient to have it written in PHP

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before considering phpMyAdmin you need to check if it meet your requirements mainly of the infrastructure that you're using.

Easy management of the records while we create the software avoiding making long queries to verify the test that we make.

We correct errors made by our softwares directly in the phpmyadmin when we need to urgently repair a production software.

phpMyAdmin review by Berta E.
Berta E.

"PhpmyAdmin es buena para controlar mysqldb"

What do you like best?

Es adecuado para el primer uso de DB y conocer y es muy fácil de usar

What do you dislike?

Desea mayores alternativas y programa de software local para administrar db, pero es la opción ideal para administrar db en mysql con php

Recommendations to others considering the product

Funciona en cualquier maquina.

En mi opinión, podría ser mas rápido para verificar y usar

phpMyAdmin review by Scott K.
Scott K.

"A very powerful, yet easy to use database administration tool"

What do you like best?

It's a database administration utility written in php, therefore it'll run on any platform php will (assuming all of the necessary modules are available) that is functional, yet really easy to use. Whether you're looking to just do a simple query against a table or something more advanced, the webUI can make things a lot easier - especially for the customer who might not be as technical.

What do you dislike?

I suppose it's almost inevitable, but the security flaws that has plagued the application in the past. This is generally my go-to tool if a customer asks to have access to their database since it's easy to use and they can generally figure things out from there.

Perhaps it needs the ability to log all queries sent via the application?

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's most likely wise to password protect the URL and/or restrict via IP address for security reasons.

Less live technical support time with the customer, as it basically allows them to manage their database (and may even have grant privileges).

phpMyAdmin review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Easy to use and powerful"

What do you like best?

I'm a big fan of phpMyAdmin. Its easy to use, I can access all of the database information I need to rather quickly. It's super easy to run quick queries to dig into a database. Its simple to set up new tables and databases. Error messages are clear and to the point.

What do you dislike?

I'm going to struggle finding something I don't like about this as it does everything I need it to. I guess the interface looks a little dated, like something from 15 years ago, but it is functional and doesn't need to be pretty.

Allows me to access database information quickly and easily.

phpMyAdmin review by Bernhard E.
Bernhard E.

"Easy MySql/MariaDB administration"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to understand and to use. Its a Webinterface and so you can work from everywhere with it. It has all main features like database, table, function and user creation. It deserves most admins needs.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. The SQL input field could be more flexible. Some Dialog windows are to small.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free so just give it a try.

I can have a quick look into my Database system on the go if something went wrong.

phpMyAdmin review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Fast and Powerful"

What do you like best?

I like how it's easy to navigate around through simple and intuitive UI. From creating database, creating user, assigning privilege to executing stored procedure. It's a relief to know that there's a comprehensive documentation and support for this application since it has been around for a while now.

What do you dislike?

Interface is not pleasing and looks a bit old and outdated

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a beginner, this is a must try tool as it a free and open source. But if you are on an expert level who prefer to use CLI to have more control and power to manage database, this DBMS is not suitable for you.

Having DBMS application that is accessible via web browser greatly helps in administering database. I can easily work on my application anywhere as long as I have internet and browser

phpMyAdmin review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Legacy Database Management Application that Works"

What do you like best?

It's straightforward, it's easy to manage your database and see what's going on behind the scenes on your web-server. There has been no serious user interface change in 10 years, so one you know how to fly it, it's easy.

What do you dislike?

The reasons why I use phpMyAdmin are being replaced by more appropriate software applications and different infrastructures. On traditionally hosts it was generally rolled out for free, but on the Cloud you have to install it yourself and pay for a license which has a decent cost attached to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is it appropriate to use phpMyAdmin?

I've used it when I've needed a quick and easy way to run a SQL query on a database in order to analyse the data in Excel, these days I more often make use of TableAU or Domo.

"User friendly UI"

What do you like best?

User friendly UI easy handle basic Database function. And database and edit easy by double click with data record.

What do you dislike?

Editor with SQL statement do not support with " character. Since in PHP language most using ' and " for field, and the php MyAdmin editor only support ` for field name.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to have easy way for learning database, easy , free. phpMyAdmin is your first tools for use.

Internet have lots of resource can search and lots of user are using.

phpMyAdmin may not the tools you can use forever, but this tool must be one of useful tools in your life.

Show out table related and data sorting and search in user interface.

Validation for error SQL statement input.

Check out for key value for insert new record.

phpMyAdmin review by Rohit S.
Rohit S.

"phpMyAdmin - great tool for developers"

What do you like best?

I like the way phpmyadmin is integrated with XAMPP, LAMP and gives great flexibility in using it with mysql database and php server. its small light weight and easy to use for beginners also

What do you dislike?

the SQL gui for the phpmyadmin can be improved, for running SQL queries and seeing the output

developing websites and apps and deploying using phpmyadmin

phpMyAdmin review by Rohit V.
Rohit V.

"Great Add-on to MySQL"

What do you like best?

It has a very intuitive User Interface and I have been using this software since 9 years. It is very stable and is easy to understand. The User Interface allows a user to monitor various database parameters like health and performance. I really like the designer view, where I am able to visualize and see the association among all tables within the database.

Data import and export is very easy, and there are options to filter the data based on some conditions. Data can be exported in multiple formats including Excel, CSV, etc. There is small learning curve to secure the admin page, by editing the associated PHP file. The best part, one need not be conversant with SQL to use this product.

What do you dislike?

None till now. I am very satisfied with this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use. Users having no knowledge of SQL (Structured Query Language) can also use this product, and in the process learn SQL. The software also displays the associated SQL query for each operation.

Design databases for web based applications. Used it for my academic projects.

phpMyAdmin review by Nicolas C.
Nicolas C.

"Phpmyadmin or the database viewer"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, view databases on web browser, very usefull.

What do you dislike?

We arrived fast to the limit on the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Realy good product to begin, easy to see data on web browser.

Show databases and data easily and rapidly.

phpMyAdmin review by Ali X.
Ali X.

"Simple and Elegant"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of the product. Also, it shows the query for each and every task I do with the database

What do you dislike?

older interface, it's not a modern styled interface

creating databases for my apps

phpMyAdmin review by Bobby T.
Bobby T.

"Excellent software for administering mySql"

What do you like best?

phpMyAdmin is very easy to use, even for novices. While I am comfortable on the command line, I find I am more productive using phpMyAdmin. I spend a good part of my day using it without any problems.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike about phpMyAdmin. If I had to chose, I'd say maybe an option to use the command line from within the software

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very good software. Highly recommended.

Database administration.

phpMyAdmin review by Paolo F.
Paolo F.

"A must have for MySQL web administration"

What do you like best?

It's easy to install and it has a complete set of features.

Probably the most useful features are the one for data export.

What do you dislike?

The interface is oldish, probably it needs a refresh. But it isn't important, I appreciate that the team is focused on features rather than on CSS :-)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Probably one of the most useful software to administer MySQL through a web interface.

Generally I use phpMyAdmin for data export, database queries, database administration and a little data entry.

phpMyAdmin review by Kumaran B.
Kumaran B.

"Great tool to manage Databases"

What do you like best?

DBA's must-have tool for web based database administration. web interface enables users to import / export databases easily. Also easy to manage database users and permissions. Been using phpMyAdmin for a many years and won't do with out it!

Great product.

Free to use.

Easy to Install.

easy to Manage.

What do you dislike?

Recent version of phpmyadmin can't handle lager database imports. newer interface looks flat. Lots of users complain about the new design.

Poor design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product.

Free to use.

Easy to Install.

easy to Manage.

I am using this product to manage all of my MariaDB's . i use one phpMyAdmin server to do this. Been using phpMyAdmin for a many years and won't do with out it!

phpMyAdmin review by User in Higher Education

"Makes database management (relatively) easy"

What do you like best?

It's a free and open source tool with plenty of documentation, so it's easy to get started. If you don't have experience in MySQL, it has a user-friendly interface that will perform basic statements for you. If you do have MySQL expertise, it's still useful to review the structure of your databases in a straightforward GUI. You can also input MySQL statements manually, so experts won't feel limited.

What do you dislike?

Compared to MySQL workbench, which can be used offline, phpMyAdmin is web-based. This is a disadvantage for me; it could also be considered an advantage, though, as it renders the tool easily accessible from multiple computers. I have also found that MySQL workbench is better for data modeling, as the GUI is reminiscent of handwritten data models. However, this is a matter of personal preference and may not be an issue for others.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a novice, you should consider using MySQL workbench to solidify your understanding of data modeling. With that said, phpMyAdmin is easy for beginners to use.

phpMyAdmin simplifies database administration, making it accessible to beginners and less of a headache for experts. What it lacks in database modeling it makes up for in its reliability and streamlined GUI.

phpMyAdmin review by Abel N.
Abel N.

"Good client web to controller mysql db"

What do you like best?

Is good for first use db and learning and is very easy to use

What do you dislike?

It need more options and software native tu control db but is good option to management db in mysql with php

Recommendations to others considering the product

It need a client native computer

In my opinion is very fast to check and use

phpMyAdmin review by User in Computer Software

"Q"

What do you like best?

As a developer using linux to build LAMP webapps, I love that phpMyAdmin is as easy to install and configure on my development system as "apt-get install phpmyadmin" - compared to other DB admin tools that have a long, complex process to get everything connected and working, this is a breeze and easily automated. I also enjoy the fact that it runs entirely in the browser with minimal overhead, and that it provides a graphical tool to view table relationships. Finally, its SQL command tab makes it easy to run one-off queries from other devices on the dev network that don't have easy command-line access (for instance, a tablet or windows laptop).

What do you dislike?

For all it's power, the interface does leave something to be desired - it's functional and does the job, but is clunky and can be confusing when some options are not valid for a given input. For example, when adding a new user to MySQL using phpMyAdmin the list of options available for controlling access via host can be confusing since not every option provided is relevant in all cases, and the options aren't explained anywhere (but the MySQL documentation). I also wish that the installation process provided a reminder of the local URL to use with a fresh install - as a browser based product, a reminder of how to use the product seems like a no-brainer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

On a local machine, the general access URL for a plain-vanilla install is generally:

I routinely need to access, build, modify, and all-around administrate MySQL databases running on LAMP stacks. phpMyAdmin is a great tool for the job that lets me get my work done quickly with minimal overhead, no cost (it's OSS!) and through an interface - the browser - I am using for my work already. Finally, using phpMyAdmin on a dev network makes it easy to collaborate with other database administrators and developers without needing to install anything or debug a tricky connection process.

phpMyAdmin review by Administrator

"intuitive ofr a non tech savvy"

What do you like best?

I like that even someone like me that's not too expert in DB can make it

What do you dislike?

Maybe some additional warning could help before committing drastic changes in the DB

Recommendations to others considering the product

For all those who need to manage a DB, this tool really has a helpful interface

It helped me organising and managing my client' list

phpMyAdmin review by Administrator in Computer Software

"As an administration tool for MySQL and MariaDB phpMyAdmin takes a good market share."

What do you like best?

Its relevance when it comes to web hosting services cannot be disputed. It makes MySQL and MariaDB so easy. You don’t need to memorize commands just click and implement.

What do you dislike?

I have nothing much to dislike about phpMyAdmin. Apart from when installing with Nginx it sometime take a little of my time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give phpMyAdmin a try

We use phpMyAdmin for administration and management of web hosting services. This tool comes in handy when we are introducing Web development beginners to web hosting services.

phpMyAdmin review by Dustin L.
Dustin L.

"A good GUI for managing mysql"

What do you like best?

PHPMyAdmin is a quick and easy way to get a visually easy way to investigate and manage a MySQL database.

What do you dislike?

One must be careful in how they setup PHPMyAdmin for obvious security reasons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to set it up in a secure manner because otherwise it will be a security hole.

Quick and easy immediate access to the data in the database.

phpMyAdmin review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Very helpful database management"

What do you like best?

Ease of installation

Minimum size of source files

Rapidity of execution

Open source

Useful tools (sql import / export, help instruction)

What do you dislike?

- the thing I find chic is the design, and also the tool is compatible with other DBMS like SqlServer, Oracle.

Remote database management quickly integrated into Cpanel

Management of local databases using solutions like WampServer, XAMP

Importing SQL scripts

phpMyAdmin review by Jacopo V.
Jacopo V.

"My review for phpMyAdmin"

What do you like best?

You can install it on any domain supporting it, it is a service and you can manage any aspect of a mysql db

What do you dislike?

It is not very fast, so when you need to operate directly on db you need to have time ( of course it depends also on connection and server's configuration).

I can manage any db for many websites. I can install wherever I need.

phpMyAdmin review by Agency
Agency

"Intuitive "

What do you like best?

it's an easy program to understand, even for people who approach the world of db

What do you dislike?

there is no way to export field names in strings already formatted for php use

I have made many sites using it, it has become a standard

phpMyAdmin review by Juan M. C.
Juan M. C.

"PHPmyAdmin review"

What do you like best?

It's a super easy and super user-friendly interface to deal with databases.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, user management gets way too complex

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need an easy way to manage your databases through GUI ... use phpmyadmin

Developing products is less time consuming with this tool

"Great!"

What do you like best?

the graphical user interface makes it easy to use. You dont need to remember as many commands.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it only works on firefox and not chrome.

Ive worked on magento, so having so many tables and being able to see the relationships between the tables through phpmyadmin has helped.

phpMyAdmin review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"not "

What do you like best?

User friendly and ease of access to each feature for creating database

What do you dislike?

should support database design modelling like mysql workbench

E-commerce, Social networking, API integrations, CMS

phpMyAdmin review by Eduardo T.
Eduardo T.

"One of the LAMP developers' best friend"

What do you like best?

The ease of install and use, and the fact that it covers any feature a developer needs.

What do you dislike?

The UI is a bit clunky and confusing sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and I'm sure it will help you greatly.

I create web applications for all sort of needs and phpMyAdmin allows me to keep an eye on my database in an easy and fast way.

phpMyAdmin review by Bo T.
Bo T.

"Ease for easy tasks and Management"

What do you like best?

It is easy to install with any setup and i offers a lot of functionality needed in everyday tasks.

What do you dislike?

Compared with a tool like MySQL Wordbench it lacks features and simplicity.

We use it for easy mansgement of databases on remote servers.

phpMyAdmin review by Administrator

"Use of phpMyAdmin for website database management."

What do you like best?

Software is easy to use. Can search database tables, use SQL statements or just modify database table values directly on the screen.

What do you dislike?

Can't think of anything. This product fulfills my needs.

Use the software for database management for a website. I can write programs that utilize the database to display information on my website for users.

phpMyAdmin review by Stefan B.
Stefan B.

"One of the default MySQL GUIs - very usable, if you know what you are doing"

What do you like best?

It's free, Open Source and fairly easy to install.

Extensive control over your MySQL databases.

What do you dislike?

You really have to know what you are doing, which is probably to be expected as a database has quite a lot of configuration options (users, databases, permissions, maintenance).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It works, does what it promises to do and if you know what you want to do, it is straight-forward. But like most Open Source offerings, the user interface is more for a technical expert than for an average user.

Creating new MySQL databases on our local web server and with shared hosting providers. Also for managing user permissions and making backups of the database. Occasionally to transfer a local DB to the production site or vice versa.

phpMyAdmin review by User in Market Research
User in Market Research

"Great because it is web based, but there are better options out there"

What do you like best?

I like how I can access it from my web browser.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how hard it is to do basic things. Tools like MySQL workbench are far better at getting stuff done.

phpMyAdmin is good for testing out projects without having to setup a server connection for mySQL. I often use XAMP to prototype projects on my computer and phpMyAdmin works for that.

phpMyAdmin review by Zachary O.
Zachary O.

"A Most for any Linux Server"

What do you like best?

phpMyAdmin has a simplistic GUI which makes administrating the software incredibly easy and awesome!

What do you dislike?

The ease of setup and implementation could be more simplistic when it comes to new installs or migrations from similar products.

Not really solving anything with this software. It's been a long term tool in my arsenal of tools.

phpMyAdmin review by User

"Best MySQL controller out there"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. I love that it shows the query in MySQL and provides PHP code

What do you dislike?

Occasionally when left alone for a bit you come back to an error, however that error is solved by restarting the page

Quick database edits

phpMyAdmin review by David T.
David T.

"PhpMyAdmin"

What do you like best?

PhpMyAdmin has become my go to PHP/MySql database development tool in the 5+ years that I've been using it. I love the feature set, ease of use and interface layout.

What do you dislike?

I find that the Ajax integration unnecessary.

Web based image management for photography.

phpMyAdmin review by Administrator in Consumer Services
Administrator in Consumer Services

"phpMyAdmin review"

What do you like best?

Ease of access, free software, been a leader in the market for a while. Ease of exporting and importing to and from third party data

What do you dislike?

I feel the style has not been updated in a while and could use a refresh

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not wait. I

Database storage and the benefits of having ease of access is the biggest realization

phpMyAdmin review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"PHPMyAdmin"

What do you like best?

It’s fairly easy to learn and allows for scalability

What do you dislike?

Can get very complicated and there are times certain parts aren’t working

Created a website to accept data and stored it in a database

phpMyAdmin review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Nice tool for database handling"

What do you like best?

Very handy tool, I like that it is free, and it is very useful for database management.

What do you dislike?

not much, little improvement possible on UI

Recommendations to others considering the product

Free and easy tool, simple yet elegant, good for newbies too

useful for daily use,

phpMyAdmin review by Brittany D.
Brittany D.

"phpMyAdmin"

What do you like best?

Easy to define tables, data points, browse data, run sql, etc.

What do you dislike?

interface is outdated and not easy to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

phpMyAdmin is good for small websites that are building out a solution that requires data storage, sql, etc.

phpMyAdmin helps us build and store our data for our websites built on php

phpMyAdmin review by Ben B.
Ben B.

"Awesome for a MySQL noob like myself"

What do you like best?

I took a database class in college and we learned some limited MySQL/SQL. Even with just that limited knowledge I can do whatever I need with phpMyAdmin. Freaking awesome software when it comes to noobs like myself!

What do you dislike?

I imagine it's tough to install... though I don't know since I've always used it in CPanel pre-installation instances.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Jump in carefully. Anything you edit CAN take down your site. Ton's of help online if you need it.

phpMyAdmin review by Tom L.
Tom L.

"Very Easy To Use"

What do you like best?

Graphical interface makes administration of MySQL databases a snap even for someone who is not a DBA. Response times are very quick and the tool is designed to guide people through some of the most common database tasks.

What do you dislike?

Personally, I enjoy using this tool but I can also see how people would prefer bypassing it and just using the command line interface to run SQL queries directly and not have all the hand holding the application provides.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A lot of online web hosts provide this tool for free to help people manage their MySQL databases. If it's available, give it a try. There's nothing you can do with this tool that you can't do through the MySQL CLI but you might find that it helps to simplify things a little, especially if you're a novice user.

phpMyAdmin review by Don B.
Don B.

"Competent admin console and data admin screen"

What do you like best?

I best like the web interface - I don't need to start any console apps nor, often, remember much SQL syntax

What do you dislike?

I dislike that this shields me from the SQL syntax, and many tasks can be much more quickly performed from the console

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're new to databases, this product can definately help you get up and running quickly, while you learn SQL and DDL over time.

phpMyAdmin review by Greg M.
Greg M.

"Gets the job done"

What do you like best?

Gets the job done. Pretty lightweight tool despite having many features, and it works well, simplifying the management of your MySQL databases. Can't beat the price (free). It's been around forever and is quite stable.

What do you dislike?

If you are familiar with MySQL commands, you may prefer just worrking directly in a CLI. The UI has improved somewhat over the years, but navigation can be a bit clumsy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Solid choice if you need a GUI for MySQL. Advanced MySQL users may just find it to get in the way.

phpMyAdmin review by Lazar T.
Lazar T.

"Administration of MySQL is so easy now"

What do you like best?

Faster response times - In addition to undoubted PHP optimizations, the combinations of jQuery and CSS make the UI much faster. Inline query editing - While the pop-up window works, this UI is much more streamlined. Probably the single best feature. Create table button in table list - Before you had to go to the database home page (or Operations), scroll down, and add a table. PHPMyAdmin 3.4 could go further, having this button at the top and bottom (for large table lists).

What do you dislike?

Removal of Empty and Drop tabs from table navigation - While I appreciate these are not technically navigation options, burying them under Operations was not the right move. If nothing else, taking features away is always a dangerous game. I have to say PHPMyAdmin lost me on this one. As a developer, these actions, particularly Empty are incredibly common.

Hiding of Export options - Instead of displaying all options, like previous versions, the UI is now that of a decision tree. In addition, the options themselves changed. Again, this is an often used feature for me. I could export unconsciously in previous versions. It seems, even after months, I’m continually scanning the options in PHPMyAdmin 3.4.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have to try it

phpMyAdmin review by Erich R.
Erich R.

"Excellent GUI Solution for Databases"

What do you like best?

A very good GUI solution for MySQL. Also available on a wide range of hosting providers. There isn't really anything special about this product, but it's simply a solid solution when you need a GUI and don't have access to command line. Other good uses of this tool are generating SQL, exporting/importing data into your database, and creating schemas.

What do you dislike?

I'd rather use a command line for a number of these operations, but it's simply not an option for a number of service providers. The UI is not that intuitive and it takes many clicks sometimes to get what you want done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would try phpMyAdmin if you're in the market for a GUI solution to carry out database operations and aren't comfortable with command line MySQL.

phpMyAdmin review by Jared T.
Jared T.

"Fallback option for Mysql GUI"

What do you like best?

Solid and predictable, free, the most popular GUI for mysql so it is relatively bug free compared to some more contemporary tools.

What do you dislike?

Very stodgy UI, not very sleek. Appears very out of date, there are other free but better designed options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use it when I have no other option, i.e. the only GUI option for a particular webhost. If I have control over the environment I would look into musqlbuddy.

phpMyAdmin review by Jason H.
Jason H.

"Simple and Efficient"

What do you like best?

Need a gui interface for managing your MySQL database than phpMyAdmin will fit your needs. It really makes importing and testing sql code a snap.

What do you dislike?

I think they could update the look a little bit more and make it a little more web 2.0 looking

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try It!

phpMyAdmin review by Rusty P.
Rusty P.

"It does what you need it to"

What do you like best?

If you're looking for a web-based tool for managing your mySQL database, this is the tool for you. I have used it on several of my hosted sites to allow me to modify databases, change passwords etc.

What do you dislike?

It is a little slow, but that may be the host.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need it, just get it.

Learning about phpMyAdmin?

* We monitor all phpMyAdmin reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.