Pivotal Tracker

Agile Project Management

Work for Pivotal Tracker?

Learning about Pivotal Tracker?

Pivotal Tracker Reviews

Ask Pivotal Tracker a Question
Showing 67 Pivotal Tracker reviews
Pivotal Tracker review by Caleb H.
Caleb H.

"It does exactly what it does"

What do you like best?

It's a very focused product, and it's very opinionated about how you should work. This is a good thing, for the most part, keeping Pivotal Tracker from being like the more feature-bloated offerings out there (e.g. Jira or Rally)

What do you dislike?

The flipside of a focused, opinionated product is that if you're trying to do something a little different than what they intend, it falls short. For example, epics are clearly an afterthought and a second-class citizen in the world of Pivotal Tracker. If you're not trying to use those as a primary entity, all good. If you are, you'll be a little annoyed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and make sure that your desired development workflow meshes with what PT does.

We use Pivotal to track our development across several products. The speed with which you can create, move, estimate and edit stories is really fantastic. The reporting has gotten so much better since when we started using it.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Pivotal Tracker
Pivotal Tracker review by Leo J.
Leo J.

"An awesome tracker for developers"

What do you like best?

It's integration with git repositories that makes it incredibly nice to work with and its lean UI. If I am free to choose which software I'll use to plan a project I'll go for pivotal tracker almost 9 out of 10 times. It really simplify story/feature breakdown and help you plan ahead better and keep you honest about your deadlines.

What do you dislike?

Not much really, the interface might bother people who dislike horizontal scrolling

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use epics! and tags, and let Pivotal Tracker learn your speed on a few sprints. Then it will truly help you plan your upcoming sprints as it will learn how much your team can do in a sprint-span.

Tracking and planification of bug fixes, story implementation, ...

I particularly love the way it estimate how many "points" you can achieve in a sprint and as the project goes along, our estimations get better and so does the sprint-"prediction" of Pivotal Tracker. It's really neat to avoid thinking that everything can be done in one day when it obviously cannot!

What Product Management solution do you use?

Pivotal Tracker review by Vincent S.
Vincent S.

"Managing Projects in Real Time "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that one could have several projects going on at once with several different team or sources like for instance i run a security installation crew on one end of my company and clear across the atlantic ocean i hired a gal who is a whiz at building by code additions to my much needed help website still under construction. Most of all I think the Project management features

What do you dislike?

Well there is not much to dislike when one can understand specific tools and why they are used

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lets make sure the marketing team does not go home until every person on this planet who has a gazzillion tasks and projects to handle every day and struggles with trying to collaborate across texting, via phone, time is of the essence people i know i am going to do my part and getting to Pivitol its Nick name but you must say it with the accent Peeevvetoool deep voice. amazing technology i must say

Truth be told i havent used it for over a year but when i did it was like it was just yesterday one cannot easily forget how organized and focused you would be come confident and that everything continued to fu smoothly on adn inbetween phases of a said project at inception, out to initiate, aligning costs, budgets, into the very schedule and projected the outcomes.

Pivotal Tracker review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="4f4f1425-1724-436b-9a95-a6d087570cc1">Lacey N.</span>
Lacey N.
" itemprop="name" />

"Agile management for every and any team."

What do you like best?

The flexibility of the system allows you to manage every part of your process. We've managed the research stage, design, development, and even user feedback and testing. They make really great use of space, and the experience from desktop to mobile is quite seamless.

What do you dislike?

I really wish there was a way to chain (or maybe group) stories together as an ordered list. Tags and Epics create un-ordered lists, but sometimes when you're managing a digital product, there's a really good reason to do the stories in a specific order, and sometimes getting developers to keep them in the correct order is like herding cats.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Because of it's flexibility, Pivotal can get messy quick. It's important that the whole team is on board with your process for managing what you're working on and how Pivotal fits into that, or it can be really easy to get lost, or work over top of someone else's work.

Solving customer problems, managing those requests, easing internal work load, increasing conversions... The flexibility of Pivotal is what allows us to use it for everything.

Pivotal Tracker review by Jim Ryan Z.
Jim Ryan Z.

"Management at it's best"

What do you like best?

What I like about Pivotal Tracker is the amount of info it provides all in one screen for your project. The filtering of stories is really good and can be catered to your linking.

What do you dislike?

Tons of information all in one screen has a downside though. It could be very intimidating too look at if you're new to the software so a little getting used too is needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pivotal tracker is a good project management software. It allows project managers, developers and clients to be at one place and see the overview of a project. It could be intimidating for new users but will reap the benefits from constant use of the application.

We use Pivotal tracker primarily to manage our software development projects. It made us organised with stories, bug fixes, and client communication is also in there so clients could also see the work we're doing.

Pivotal Tracker review by Joshua D.
Joshua D.

"Pivotal Tracker Makes Project Management Easy"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to communicate with teammates and management and have an up-to-date list with tasks and all needed resources in order for me to get work done fast.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I dislike about the software is how there is no default Points set for each story. Having management that doesn't actually set, use, or care about points means that in order to even mark a story as started, I have to do two extra clicks in order to set a point value first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is important to have good project management. Without it, Pivotal Tracker can end up just being another list of tasks.

Pivotal Tracker helps me stay on task and be able to quickly gather resources, shortening development time and shortening how often I need to communicate with my team and ask for credentials or resources.

Pivotal Tracker review by Daniel S.
Daniel S.

"Still the best"

What do you like best?

Unlike so many lightweight product management tools, Pivotal has a very clear way to associate stories with Epics to allow teams to work in the minutiae while always having visibility into the grand scheme.

What do you dislike?

If I had to pick a downside; after years of using tools like Asana and Trello, Pivotal's UI could be a little warmer/friendlier but it's aesthetic is barely a factor.

We've used most product management tools over the years, across several project and although we might try new things, we always come back to pivotal. It's the perfect mix between overly complex (Jira) and too lightweight to scale (Trello).

Pivotal Tracker review by Jon B.
Jon B.

"PT is a great piece of software, but I wish the UI was simpler"

What do you like best?

Having used Trello, Jira and a few other project management software apps, I think Pivotal Tracker is the best right now. It definitely has the best feature set, but I'm not too happy with the UI. It can get really hard to get a birds-eye view of a project's status when there's lots going on.

What do you dislike?

Pivotal tracker has a really cluttered UI, which can be very distracting if you have a large number of items or team members.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use PT. I've used all of it's major competitors and it's better than the others. it's a complicated piece of software and can take some getting used to, but it's worth it.

We use pivotal tracker to handle development and design sprints at our web software startup. We have a number of different projects like iOS/Android apps and websites. Pivotal Tracker is great for keeping all the tasks organized and communicating with all the different team members.

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Computer Software

"Pivotal Tracker from a support perspective"

What do you like best?

I like look of Pivotal Tracker, it's very easy to use and you can view the various stories by labels, ex. high priority stories are labeled as 'High Priority' and then can be viewed by searching for that label. We also love that we are able to integrate our support software with PT so that we can create a PT story from the support ticket which saves time.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the tasks limit you to a maximum of X characters so there have been times where I have had to split my verbiage into two tasks to get it all in there. And you don't know you have too many characters until you go to save at which point it does tell you how many are allowed and how many you have so at least you can guess approx. how much to remove.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool for keeping track of features or bugs that your developers are working on. We use it to organize our monthly software releases as well.

Our developers use this tool to keep track of things they are working on and deployments. Our support department also uses this tool to give the developers work and escalate high priority bugs to them.

Pivotal Tracker review by Kayla B.
Kayla B.

"Developer Friendly Project Management Software"

What do you like best?

Unlike applications such as Asana and Basecamp, which are largely just cloud based to do lists that work great for departments whose work load can actually be broken down into unrelated tasks, it's really geared towards developers who often work in a web of dependencies and with tasks that are part of a greater whole, that may be 2-3 layers deep in the hierarchy of that project's completion, that are rarely just completed or not, but instead have numerous statuses in between that make take days or weeks to transition through. In a lot of ways, Pivotal Tracker is just like Jira, but whereas Jira out of the box is basically a fully dynamic setup that forces you to architect out the connections you want and all the labels for your dev cycle, Pivotal Tracker comes out of the box as a template with the most commonly used features already set (your status options are : started, finished, deployed, accepted, your ticket types are: epic, feature, bug, chore). So unless you're hell bent on a fully customizable tool, Pivotal Tracker is great because you can get up and running right away, and will rarely find you need the changes to the existing setup anyways.

What do you dislike?

I wish bug tickets still allowed you to set an estimated time to complete. I handle most of the "bug hunting" at my job, and so it's hard for management to get an idea of where my time goes because of this unless I'm communicating to them constantly what I'm doing and when (i.e. how much time a specific bug is taking up). Which in turn makes it difficult for them to know when an edge case bug is worth continuing to pursue or if they just want me back on the main deployment for that month. I have a great boss, so it isn't as much of an issue, but if I were working elsewhere, I would be pretty upset this feature didn't exist.

I wish that when I created a view of "my tickets", that it still broke them apart with little headers showing what project dashboard view they were pulled from.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't need a fully customizable project management tool, but do need a solid, dependable application geared towards development life cycles that will give you all the default options you need and has a quick spin up time, go with Pivotal Tracker.

Project planning, bug tracking, time management, deployment orchestration, employee time management. Using Pivotal Tracker has definitely helped us keep better track of who is doing what, where we're at with smaller tasks that a deployment depends on, making sure feature requests that have been backlogged eventually move up to the front of our workload and are completed, making sure the requirements the developers get match what the stakeholders are asking for, and making sure everyone is on the same page with knowing what needs to get done before the next release and can pick up work as they finish their current workload.. In turn, we've had a lot fewer instances of the ball being dropped, incorrect project requirements being worked into the code, and deployments going out with missing pieces.

Pivotal Tracker review by Craig C.
Craig C.

"Completely transformed our business"

What do you like best?

Tracker is such a flexible, easy to use project management system. It gives us complete visibility into what is happening across our department. The open API is powerful and well documented. Support is fast and friendly.

What do you dislike?

Would like if Epics could span projects, and would also like to the ability to customize the workflow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore the very well documented user guides and think about your workflow. What do you consider to be a story, epic, task, project, etc.?

Pivotal Tracker solved our problem of trying to prioritize the work of multiple team members & projects. Now that we have everything in a single backlog, we have a clear priority for our work and the ability to accurately estimate completion dates.

Pivotal Tracker review by Amna Z.
Amna Z.

"Project Management & Tracking made easier !"

What do you like best?

Love how easy to get started with this without much training on using the program tools. Very self-explanatory, and easy to get used to it. Plus unlike other PM programs, you can add / view a lot of information on one page. So you dont need to be scrolling up and down.

What do you dislike?

The color palette that the company chose is a bit of a downer. I wish it was cleaner with lighter/brighter colors. But again its just a personal preference, not a reflection on the functionality of the program at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great project management and tracking application that works for both small or more extensive businesses or projects. Its even great for office admins who dont have professional experience with Project Management before but just want to keep all the pertinent information in one place for easy accessibility.

Managing smaller projects for a company, I need one program where I can view all the changes/additions in one place and toggle back and forth between projects without much lag-time. So this application is perfect for that.

Pivotal Tracker review by Kavitha N.
Kavitha N.

"Project Tracking Made Easy"

What do you like best?

I love the user interface of this application. It is very clean and organized. Its seamlessness motivates you to get work done and finish tasks assigned to you on there.

What do you dislike?

The Analytics features are too detailed. You can view lots of graphs and statistics related to iterations, cycle time, and releases in terms of hours spent and points collected. It can get very confusing when you try to understand them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pivotal Tracker is a great application for project management. It offers different levels of detailed information related to the software life cycle used for development. This can be very useful to project managers. From the development perspective, it offers a seamless user experience for task assignment and completion.

The department I work in used Pivotal Tracker to manage the development cycle of our new ecommerce website. Tracker greatly helped us organize our tasks by assigning them to stories and epics. Velocity readjustment helped our team recognize the best pace we could work at to efficiently complete assignments.

Pivotal Tracker review by Simon H.
Simon H.

"Pivotal Tracker Allows Business Owners & Developers to Execute"

What do you like best?

Pivotal's flexibility and user interface make scoping out new projects easy. I often use pivotal tracker as a blank canvas to sketch out what I need from a business perspective before opening up my stories to Developers for feedback. Business and Developers then sync to build stories into epics, which ensures all stakeholders understand the scope of the project and the timeline for project delivery.

What do you dislike?

Formatting stories in Pivotal Tracker is a little difficult to learn. Pivotal has a strong online support community, but many of the formatting shortcuts are not instinctual and to write a good Pivotal story takes some work. If you are a part of an established organization having some form of documentation on writing/ formatting Pivotal stories would be helpful.

Often business owners and software developers struggle to keep track of what is in the pipeline, manage the scope of projects, and ensure successful delivery of a product improvement. Pivotal brings both sides together with a tool that helps me communicate what I need done effectively while also allowing me to track the progress of individual requests and larger projects.

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Pivotal Tracker - "

What do you like best?

In general, Pivotal Tracker is great tool for project and product managers to track project progress and assign projects to various people within the company. We specifically use it for ecommerce / tech development projects to our sites. Individual users can identify bugs, features, or any other changes they wan tot make to the ecommerce site.

What do you dislike?

It does take some time to learn how to use the tool and all the features. It makes more sense for an organization to come up with internal guidelines on how to label certain projects (bugs, features, etc.) and how to categorize each product. It also requires a product manager to mana

Recommendations to others considering the product

Create internal guidelines on how to categorize projects within Pivotal Tracker so that all employees are on the same page. If you use slack, I would highly recommending creating a slack channel for pivotal tracker notifications.

We have been able to efficiently prioritize and categorize changes to our website. This allows our developers and engineers to be more efficient and effective in identifying bugs and also prioritizing features that we want to add to our site.

Pivotal Tracker review by Kiarash T.
Kiarash T.

"Pivotal Tracker"

What do you like best?

An easy to use management system that is a must have if you are working in a group environment. You can assign works to specific people and provide additional details so everyone would be on the same page. It's very easy to get started with as well, and they provide videos for anyone that might be confused with their user interface,

What do you dislike?

I think the system could use more of a click and drag interface like trello. Right now I use pivotal tracker because it looks a lot more professional and trello is more of a casual environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using this tool than its competitors but they need to improve on their current system still.

It helps everyone be on the same page when using a management system like pivotal tracker. It could be a small university project, or an industry sized problem, you will eventually need to use a tool like pivotal tracker.

Pivotal Tracker review by Gary L.
Gary L.

"Fantastic work tracking software"

What do you like best?

Pivotal tracker makes it a breeze to track tasks, projects, and bugs across multiple team members. It makes my life as a team leader much easier, enabling us to stay on top of tasks, meet deadlines, and allowing me to supervise staff without breathing down their necks.

What do you dislike?

Analytics tools are rather limited, and the screen can get crowded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd highly recommend Pivotal Tracker to managers and team leaders looking to keep track of projects, particularly those who experience a large number of asks that need prioritization.

I use it to track tasks, projects, and bugs for a data team of four. Our processes are much smoother as a result of using Pivotal Tracker, and tasks never fall through the cracks. In addition, we are now able to demonstrate how busy we are, who can take out additional tasks, and how our work load varies over time.

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Research
User in Research

"Does the job for managing development"

What do you like best?

It's web based and has a decent mobile app so it's available on every device.

The planning predictive component is useful for timing based on velocity.

I really like the instant analytics - much better than some other tools where you have to configure everything (TFS, i'm looking at you here)

There is a constant stream of updates - which at least tells me they are investing in it.

What do you dislike?

The icebox and epic mechanisms are a bit clumsy - It's not as easy to work with as Jira (I use maybe 4 agil sprint planning tools and that is the one to compare everything else to)

The UI is pretty busy and can be distracting - would benefit from a facelift!

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a huge number of other tools out there that do a similar job - shop around to get the right one. Personally i think Jira is the gold standard but it's all about cost/benefit...

Manage software development with an agile team - in this case it's an outsourced team over several timezones

Pivotal Tracker review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Pivotal Tracker- the lightweight agile project management solution"

What do you like best?

PT does a great job of allowing a whole team to easily see statuses of each release and story easily. While their is not a ton of customizations, this allows quick ramp up and setup. For medium sized projects, I find Pivotal Tracker to be best for managing agile software projects.

What do you dislike?

If you are trying to manage very large projects, sometimes the lack of customization can be painful and you are fitting a round peg in a square hole. Overall, I would still choose PT over most other tools.

I work as a consultant, so we solve problems for our clients. Pivotal Tracker is so straight forward and easy to use that clients spend no time ramping up. It has a very user friendly UI and the workflows are so simple unlike using Jira, etc.

Pivotal Tracker review by Mudassir A.
Mudassir A.

"Highly recommended if you are managing a software development project"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can glance at my project & tell which tasks are being worked upon, which ones are finished & by whom. I also like the ability to give points to the stories in order to determine the complexity, tag them & package the whole project into multiple EPICS(a business feature). That fact that I can mark a particular story as bug/chore/feature makes it highly optimized for Software Development

What do you dislike?

You need to understand few concepts such as stories/points/epics which are very specific to Pivotal Tracker which makes it little difficult for a new user. It also means that in order to use Pivotal Tracker effectively, you might need to have at least one team member who have had used this product beforehand or read pivotal help section comprehensively. But the thing is, it is these concepts that make Pivotal Tracker stand out from competitors & makes project management more efficient once you get a hang of it.

While working on my own startup, it helped me in streamlining my business features so that I'm more organized & also gave a good overview to my non-technical cofounder on predicting the feature delivery there by giving customers better due dates for upcoming features. It's also easier to collaborate with my fellow developers.

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Internet

"Not the prettiest, but does the job"

What do you like best?

Great for effective collaboration between functions in the company, notifies you once there are updates from other team members so it's easy to keep track of projects and tasks as they progress

What do you dislike?

UI isn't the most intuitive, can get very cluttered looking when there's a lot of stories going on

Recommendations to others considering the product

Takes a while to get used to the UI, but once everything is running it does the job. Will likely need management to establish standard procedures for communication of tasks, things like keeping to standardized naming conventions can help with the clutter when trying to navigate through many stories/projects

Cross-functional collaboration across departments

Pivotal Tracker review by Jake S.
Jake S.

"Good project management tool"

What do you like best?

I like that you can easily add stories to projects and assign them to individual or groups of devs. It's also very nice that you can see an easy to find list of the completed stories without needing to have everyone viewing it all of the time.

What do you dislike?

I hate that you are limited to three columns for a given project. It's really forced us to be creative and somewhat hacky with how we get all of the different sections and statuses we need.

It gives us the ability to easily create track projects and themes and stories for those project and themes.

Administrator in Internet

"A good tool for project management if you follow agile"

What do you like best?

Pivotal Tracker is easy to use, intuitive, but offers a wide range of functionality. You can set up Epics and Stories, if you follow the agile methods. You can easily assign tasks to different team members, and see who is responsible for which tasks at a glance. It is also easy to use this tool for capacity planning and measuring velocity, so that you can more easily track how much work a development team can complete in any given sprint.

What do you dislike?

Pivotal Tracker is based around the agile methodology, so their prebuilt workflows have a lot of assumptions about how your team will be operating. If you follow agile, then that is not a problem. However, if you want to follow a more flexible or hybrid methodology, then you will need to work outside of the tool's predetermined structure.

The tool gives you a very granular view of all the tasks in your product roadmap. However to get a higher level view, you will need to go outside the tool.

Lastly, the mobile support for this product is terrible. It is nearly impossible to use this tool on my (relatively new) phone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a very powerful tool and can help organize your product plan as well as your team members' workload.

If you need a project management tool that tracks your development team's tasks, then this is great. You can also use this to keep yourself within an agile structure.

Pivotal Tracker review by Jeroen N.
Jeroen N.

"Reliable Process Management Tool for Agile teams"

What do you like best?

The clear, but flexible process is the best feature of PT. We have managed to work with it for several years now, even when senior developers had many different views on the software development process, all could be supported well with PT, especially used with the integrations with GitHib and Zendesk.

I like the predictive value of the backlog stories in time, so you can keep an eye on project progress and overall planning.

The several obligatory phases for each story work nicely. They force the team to be disciplined, while they are flexible at the same time.

The notifications are very flexible and configurable, and meet each individuals preferences.

What do you dislike?

What is not up to par yet is reporting. PT contains the essential graphs for scrum teams and supplies information to several plugins, but this can certainly be improved.

There could be more support for plugin developers, I think. Recently, the amount of interesting plugins is not growing anymore, which could indicate the developers community is not stimulated enough to deliver value to PT.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Use all features, including the epics and dashboard features, so you get real value out of it

- Don't share it with clients; it's too complex for them. Rather use a plugin to share elements out of it to show progress.

The benefits for our team have been to have a centrally located (both relevant for management and dev team) reliable tool that has improved our productivity significantly.

"Tracker is awesome"

What do you like best?

It quite simple to get started with and works extremely well as part of the agile process. Unlike JIRA, going for convention over configuration makes it possible to move to any team using tracker without having to unlearn & relearn process.

The web based app is quite solid.

What do you dislike?

Tracker doesnt manage stories with dependencies. This problem is even more compounded across different projects. The story tagging feature is helpful but doesnt address the problem fully.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're workflow is extremely simple, check out Trello.

However, if you have a reasonable team size (5+ ) and or multiple teams then Tracker achieves the right balance between ease of use and complexity in terms of number features.

We practice a agile/xtreme programming process - it allows us to react quickly to changes in business requirements and gather feedback continuously.

Tracker is at the core of that process - it makes what the team is working on transparent and is where we collaborate what, how and when something is being built.

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Computer Software

"Essential tool for distributing work amongst a team"

What do you like best?

PT has a nice interface that allows us to document the information we need and displays it nicely and simply. It allows us to use markdown which is great for copying card information over to github PR's quickly. There are nice visual icons that allow you to quickly identify information about a card in the condensed view. The use of labels is pretty effective at describing the work related to a particular project or sub project and the expanded label view allows you to look at the overall collection of project tasks.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were easier to include screenshots in the card details itself as opposed to just in the comments. Otherwise, I don't have many other complaints or pain points about pivotal tracker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pivotal tracker does require a bit more education on its recommended usage. We had an overview meeting with a seasoned PM who had an excellent workflow - that helped onboard us much more quickly.

With proper usage and maintenance of cards, your team productivity can soar beyond what things were before using a tracker. It teaches you to break up work into smaller more manageable chunks that you can focus on and complete as opposed to getting caught up in building functionality that comes to mind but may otherwise not be useful or necessary. Or someone else might be building that same functionality.

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Very poorly designed software "

What do you like best?

No one in my team seems to like this product. Pricing is decent I hear, because it can be hosted in-house; but I am not sure about that. It does offer a segregation of various Agile processes, which "theoretically" helps Agile teams.

What do you dislike?

The interface cannot be designed worse. It is very confusing for my team to use this tool even after a few months of usage, and a basic training. It only adds to the pain because we migrated from JIRA, which offers very logical "swim-lanes" for tracking. Not only the website, but the app is also very poorly designed. I don't know if they offer GIT/SCM integration to track relevant code changes for a story. I am also not sure about integration with other testing tools like QC/ALM. If it were easy, I guess it would have been done in my team by now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Beta testing is a must. Training is required otherwise the terms are quite new. In my experience, all teams have different understanding of Agile. Hence, this tool has to be tested for specific requirements. Integration with source control may take some time, our team has been complaining about GIT integration for a while.

We follow Agile methodologies for software development. The goal is to partition features in epics, stories and assign them to sprints of work. Pivotal portal offers tools to achieve the goals. Stories can be assigned to individuals and passed on between dev and QA. There is also a mobile app which offers instant notifications for each change. Assignment is easy. Blockers can be resolved quickly if people act on the notifications.

Pivotal Tracker review by Brittany H.
Brittany H.

"My favorite tool for managing the agile software process"

What do you like best?

As a project manager, I've used Jira and other tracking packages. Pivotal tracker is the easiest one to use, nice and lightweight, and easy for my clients to understand. My favorite features are how it automatically places stories into sprints based on velocity, and the existence of the icebox feature.

What do you dislike?

They have refined their reporting tools recently, but they still don't meet my needs. I usually download the .csv and generate my own reports.

Pivotal tracker is a core part of my software consulting team's workflow.

Pivotal Tracker review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Pivotal tracker is a great tool for any web development team"

What do you like best?

Pivotal Tracker offers a layout and interface which makes it super simple to manage and track active web development tickets. It is very versatile with a lot of options, and can be integrated easily into other tools.

What do you dislike?

The process for exporting data could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Study the agile project management process first.

We needed to communicate development tasks to our web development team, but up until choosing Pivotal Tracker we hadn't found anything that was a good fit. We have been using PT for a number of years now and can't see us switching a way. I integrated with Freshdesk and Lighthouse, so it is super easy to pass along feedback from customers.

Pivotal Tracker review by Denis B.
Denis B.

"Pretty usual and simple kanban board"

What do you like best?

- Markdown support.

- It is very simple.

- Integration with github (it shows commits affecting this task searching by #N in commit message)

What do you dislike?

- Default settings very questionable.

- Not possible to export tasks by filters

- inconvenient search (e.g. JIRA can suggest similar already create tickets, while creating new ticket)

- Need more linkable structure for tasks. E.g it is possible to create only subtasks of tasks, but sometimes need to organize tasks in dependencies, and all this need to do (sorting at least) manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are better alternatives. Even Kanban board in JIRA more convenient. To anyone considering pivotal i would suggest to try Trello first.

Organizing agile product development.

Administrator in Internet

"Great for large Project Management with specified teams"

What do you like best?

Setting up the stories and phases of the project is easy as well as assigning resources. It's easy to transfer from the icebox to current sprints.

What do you dislike?

We wish we could see variance in deadlines and time block estimates better for budget to actual. We also wish it was more obvious to see the overall project delays and likelihood we're on track to either hit or miss internal deadlines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend trying to figure out how to track the actual length of specific tasks that are measured in larger blocks (up to 8 hours). We are still trying to figure out the best way to measure the budget to actual and our assumptions for how long common project tasks take and continue to improve our SOW writing and fixed price contracts.

We're managing large eCommerce web development projects. We've been able to plan the project upfront and add tasks and features as the project is underway. We don't love the ability to set sprint deadlines in it since it isn't extremely obvious which team member is overloaded, missing sprint task deadlines, etc.

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Mining & Metals
User in Mining & Metals

"Excellent tracking tool"

What do you like best?

I love having the ability to track all interactions with specific customers and contacts all in one place as well as manage sales projects. It allowed me to easily integrate our production timeframe with our sales and support information.

What do you dislike?

I disliked that it was quite slow at times, though I believe often it was an internal server or IT issue. I personally loved everything else about it’s functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you try this software for your every day business needs, you won’t look back because it does everything!

The product allows me to track interactions with customers, predict and track sales and growth, as well as enter information for new business all easily accessible to everyone on my team.

Pivotal Tracker review by G2 Crowd User in Market Research
G2 Crowd User in Market Research

"Great tool, but too expensive"

What do you like best?

It's a great tool for fleshing out tickets and everything associated with them: screenshots, acceptance criteria, etc. I actually really enjoy using this tool because it makes productivity great!

What do you dislike?

The cost is prohibitive. We only purchased a small amount of licenses at our company because it's so expensive which is leading us to look for alternative tools. Because not everyone in the company can use/access the tool, it weakens the level of transparency our company wants/lives by.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very expensive, so use your licenses carefully! Otherwise, a good tool, but sometimes a little hard to order tickets visually and see everything all at once.

It has definitely helped our dev team embrace Agile/Scrum processes better than other tools we've used in the past.

Pivotal Tracker review by krithika p.
krithika p.

"Good backlog management tool"

What do you like best?

Good backlog management tool.

Easy to create stories, prioritize, tag & categorize.

Good way to communicate within the story.

What do you dislike?

Looks like this tool has a bunch of capabilities. I use the story creation & prioritization bits only. Would be great it there was a easy way to learn all the other capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get an overview of all the tools before you start using it everyday

Managing team backlog for various teams

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Information Technology and Services

"A decent replacement for a scrum board"

What do you like best?

Allows for quite a bit of customization. Great label and tag system. Flexible API. Allows for multiple projects. Their graphs are pretty decent. Their product feature team is responsive.

What do you dislike?

Bulk moving can be a bit clunky: Many times I've forgotten that I had multiple stories selected, and end up moving more stories than I intended to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Trial it first to make sure it fits your use cases.

Scrum board replacement.

Pivotal Tracker review by Christine W.
Christine W.

"Good for smaller non tech heavy projects"

What do you like best?

I like that I can easily copy a link or add a blocker to the story. there is some bulk editing capabilities.

What do you dislike?

there is no nesting or advanced linking ability, for example, i cannot make a story a parent story to children stories. i cannot create dependencies. it's hard to keep track of stories when there are many of them

tracking projects and stories within epics

Pivotal Tracker review by G2 Crowd User in Human Resources
G2 Crowd User in Human Resources

"Easy to use, opininated project management software"

What do you like best?

You can see everything that's going on in the same screen. Once you get used to working in a stacked ranked way and following the Pivotal process it can be extremely efficient.

What do you dislike?

Ramping up to work in the Pivotal fashion takes some time and buy in from the team. If you have a very big project the amount of backlog can get quite intimidating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My favourite project management software. Whether it works for your team depends on the project and team buy in.

Need a project management software that both the business and the development end can use to keep track of progress and velocity.

Pivotal Tracker review by Administrator in Utilities
Administrator in Utilities

"A robust and well round project management tool"

What do you like best?

Its very easy to see whats getting done, whats the plan for each week and where features will be delivered

What do you dislike?

Can be a bit clunky, sometimes it can take a little longer to set up tasks than necessary

We use pivotal to enhance the work being done by our software team, we have realised an easier way to build and manage great products.

Pivotal Tracker review by Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"comprehensive tool for managing product development"

What do you like best?

Its easy to use and quire user friendly. The kanban interface works well for our teams.

What do you dislike?

I just may not know of the full features but would like ability to customize the user interface color theme.

helping us manage development time, effort and scheudling. We saw benefits withing a quarterly release and the year after in advance.

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Simple and but not very feature rich"

What do you like best?

Easy to use

Good UX with information handy and available

What do you dislike?

Pivotal is easy to use however doesn’t have the powerful features that JIRA has.

It is more developer friendly that business friendly as options on assigning story points are very limited

Difficult to find and edit stuff

Recommendations to others considering the product

Rather use JIRA

Manage sprints and plan for backlog

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Computer Software

"Great at what it does "

What do you like best?

Pivotal tracker is great for keeping lists of what needs to be done and what stage of the process it’s in.

What do you dislike?

It isn’t great for multiple complex projects running at the same time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

More project management features.

We use it for tracking quarterly goals and tasks to achieve those goals.

Administrator in Internet

"Great for light and easy software backlog management"

What do you like best?

Pivotal is very fast, no lag, and love the ease of use. The development team really likes how easy it is to add and interact with tickets, and the accept/reject buttons make it easy to go through tickets.

What do you dislike?

It becomes difficult to manage with larger teams, and the reporting is not robust enough. Also, if the dev team needs a different deployment process it becomes hard to manage with Pivotal since you can't customize it.

Fast and easy way to manage software development backlog with minimal process.

Pivotal Tracker review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"Project tracking is made easier"

What do you like best?

I like how you can enter very specific tasks and tag every stage of the task. We used it for a coding intensive internal project and project tracking was greatly simplified.

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular. It is a great tool. However tracking your tasks becomes another major task in itself in addition to coding and testing.

We are solving the problem of project management and task management. We were a team of 4 and pivotal helped track all our tasks and stay within deadlines.

Pivotal Tracker review by David Q.
David Q.

"Great tool for a small team"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, clear task management, great to measure short term progress.

What do you dislike?

Quite difficult to implement longer term planning using this tool (for example, scheduling things at a quarterly level)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, it's great. Consider another tool for quarterly progress management

I used it for scrum management for a small software team. There was clear task ownership and it was easy to understand task priorities.

Pivotal Tracker review by Courtney T.
Courtney T.

"Great Tool to Keep on Track"

What do you like best?

The tool helps to stay organized and keep track of what everyone is working on. The different categories are ways to understand where software projects stand.

What do you dislike?

At first, the tool is a bit difficult to grasp.

Keeping track of bugs and software tasks.

Pivotal Tracker review by Executive Sponsor in Computer Software
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

"Amazing for Scrum "

What do you like best?

Great for keeping track of team's work that is commuted for a sprint and planning ahead future sprints

What do you dislike?

Need a way highlight design work and dev work independently and connect stories.

Developing new features for our cloud platform and fixing bugs identified by users

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Computer Software

"Great solution for agile (and waterfall) teams"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to see what's happening and what's at risk. The product makes it easy for the team to collaborate and to keep projects on track.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. It's a great solution for teams including those with remote members.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it. it's great for anyone running agile or Kanban.

Software development. The product keeps us on schedule.

Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"It’s a good tool but with limitations "

What do you like best?

Pivotal tracker was pleasing in the sense that it was verly nice to look at. Beautifully places all of your features and defect cards into neat rows and color coordinates them.

What do you dislike?

Very hard to use for a truly agile team. Would be a nice tool for a small waterfall based team.

We were sing Pivotal for 4 week sprint releases tracking around 3-4 different features being Developed in parallel for iOS and Android. Pivotal could not deliver what Jira can

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Excellent defect tracking tool with a seamless workflow!"

What do you like best?

Pivotal tracker is an excellent tool for defect tracking, while it provides a seamless workflow in terms of the Systems Development Lifecycle.

What do you dislike?

The user does not have the option to view all the projects in one dashboard.

Defect tracking for the QA team, where we can all track our project status with the ability to set specific roles for each user.

Pivotal Tracker review by User

"Works for smaller projects, but hard to keep track of time on projects"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and keep track of tasks, tool is easy to learn to use.

What do you dislike?

Don't like the point system on this. Hard to determine size of projects. Would have to break tasks down to very small chunks to make it realistic to finish. Spend more time planning than actual coding.

Tracking task better. The tool is OK, I still find some other tools more useful and powerful.

Pivotal Tracker review by Administrator

"Pivotal for agile project management"

What do you like best?

I like that they're pretty opinionated about how you build and score stories

What do you dislike?

Not much I don't like. The pricing seems a bit aggressive for small teams

organizing development projects and timelines

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Must for long term projects, a bit hard to educated clients on"

What do you like best?

The new realtime interface is really nice and stays out of my way.

What do you dislike?

It's fairly difficult to ramp up clients into the PT methodology, and there's often confusion (due to flexibility perhaps) about the client's role in Pivotal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not all that useful for small 1-man projects or those without a client; Trello is better for that project size.

Managing long term software projects; helps involved clients get visibility into our work.

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Information Technology and Services

"A little complex, but it has everything"

What do you like best?

Every user can manage the grid view with the board he/she prefers

Lots of grids that can be handled with ease

Threads, attachments, labels, etc. for every story

Great filtering for stories

What do you dislike?

Is far to be "simple and clean" as Trello

A little intricate sometimes, especially when you have opened more than one board

Develop features a manage my tasks together with project managers and other team mates.

Pivotal Tracker review by Executive Sponsor in Marketing and Advertising
Executive Sponsor in Marketing and Advertising

"Great for rapidly pulling an agile project together"

What do you like best?

Can get up and running immediately , easy to use, even for non technical people

What do you dislike?

Not flexible enough, but flexibility might hurt its ease of use

Rapidly take an idea to code. Cut time in planning and management down.

Administrator in Internet

"Love everything about tracker"

What do you like best?

In short, everything. Love tags and epics especially.

What do you dislike?

Don't dislike anything. Tracker follows agile methodology clearly and we've adapted our process to match.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you're bought into agile methodology before making the jump.

Development management.

Pivotal Tracker review by Amber O.
Amber O.

"Simple, quick start tool that is great for new scrum teams"

What do you like best?

Simple set up, you can start using it quickly, no learning curve and some nice simple reporting.

What do you dislike?

Very limited at the basic level (only a few users/projects) weird errors if you time out

Distributed scrum team coordination

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Great tool for remote agile project management"

What do you like best?

The unique to handle agile iterations with weighted tasks, well resolved and unique to other project management tools I know. This feature alone justifies giving the product a try.

What do you dislike?

At the time I used it, the UX (or maybe our team) had a certain tendency to accumulate tasks not resolved and not planned, bloating the management process. I think that could be improved by improving the UI.

Agile team management is no easy task. Pivotal tracker made that process way simpler for us as a remote team.

"PivotalTracker works well-ish"

What do you like best?

Great scrum/sprint management. Great for tracking things without time estimates.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't do prioritization well if you have a lot of stories.

Engineering team management

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Research
User in Research

"Useful agile development tool"

What do you like best?

Simple interface, which can scale to large projects.

What do you dislike?

When you have accepted a Pivotal Story, it is possible to change it after acceptance, which can lead to some questions about auditing of development work.

We use Pivotal Tracker to facilitate a global cross company development team working on a single product.

Pivotal Tracker review by G2 Crowd User in Design
G2 Crowd User in Design

"Another agile tool"

What do you like best?

Able to create stories and track work for each member

What do you dislike?

The ux can definitely be improved. Not very intuitive

Breakdown product development

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Not quite worth the investment"

What do you like best?

It's a project management tool with a lot of features, and allows for collaboration. But that's about it.

What do you dislike?

The interface sucks! It's not intuitive, very old looking and needs a complete overhaul from a visual perspective.

Issue tracking and resolution. also project management

Pivotal Tracker review by User

"Excellent Project Management Tool"

What do you like best?

Diverse suite of features, plus an intuitive interface.

What do you dislike?

Onboarding new users can take awhile. Definitely a big commitment

Recommendations to others considering the product

Project Management software is definitely a very sticky choice. Make full use of trial periods before making the decision.

Implementing Agile workflow

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Internet

"Good project management software targeted at engineers. "

What do you like best?

Helps with cross-team communication, keeping todos on the radar.

What do you dislike?

UI/UX is a little tiring to look at, too text heavy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Takes some time getting use to. At times, very clunky.

Mostly managing relationships between business development units and engineering/product teams.

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Great tracking device "

What do you like best?

You are able to track how much time you spend on a project.

What do you dislike?

Wish it was more user friendly but other than that it’s a good software.

Being able to track time spent on projects.

Pivotal Tracker review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Piv Tracker "

What do you like best?

Easy collaboration with other teams/people

What do you dislike?

No auto-save and when you are tagging someone the dropdown falls below the fold so is not visible

Software release and bug tracking tool

Pivotal Tracker review by User

"Pivotal tracking my project execution"

What do you like best?

It tracks project and gives a node for a milestone achieved.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything about the software so far

I used it to track my team's project execution

Pivotal Tracker review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Not a pivotal lover"

What do you like best?

Good for recording and managing individual tasks.

What do you dislike?

Still need a project management software to create gantt charts

Ecommerce project

Learning about Pivotal Tracker?

* We monitor all Pivotal Tracker reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.