Piwik PRO

Piwik PRO is the only on-premises and cloud analytics suite that allows you to track user behavior even in the most secure areas while staying privacy-compliant. Map the customer journey, create a single customer view and visualize your data by building advanced reports and charts in seconds with Piwik PRO’s simple drag and drop editor.

Work for Piwik PRO?

Learning about Piwik PRO?

Piwik PRO Reviews

Ask Piwik PRO a Question
Showing 22 Piwik PRO reviews
Piwik PRO review by Osiloke E.
Osiloke E.

"Quick view of my sites traffic"

What do you like best?

Piwik has a straightforward interface that any novice could dive right into. I was particularly impressed by how easy i was able to launch and start recording analytics data for a project i was working on. Its live traffic feature was able to give me a quick estimation of user interaction on my website.

What do you dislike?

The user interface could be improved and more polished

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to get away from the grips of google, you should take a look at piwik.

I was looking for an alternative to google analytics. It has a quick learning curve and the live traffic was very interesting

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Piwik PRO
Piwik PRO review by Royall S.
Royall S.

"Robust features and smooth operation"

What do you like best?

Piwik installs easily and doesn't interfere with the user experience. It also includes a robust Javascript API comparable to the industry leader and a PHP-based extension system. Even if Piwik doesn't have a feature I might want, I apparently have the ability to program just about any new feature as an extension. Some of these, like the database status reporter, provide indispensable information about the health of the server. The built-in Geolite database downloader is another welcome surprise.

The reports are highly customizable and easy to work with. It also filters out referral spam, which is something Google doesn't do.

What do you dislike?

The interface feels a little rough around the edges. I'd also like to see it use a front controller design pattern that keeps code besides index.php out of the webroot, but these are things that can be improved down the road. I'd also like to see a more attractive default theme. As is, it's a little on the ugly side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very easy to install, so just give it a try and see for yourself.

I'm trying to track and maximize conversions. Piwik provides detailed information on individual users, which Google only allows in aggregate. This allows much more accurate generation of narratives to describe the desires of users on the site.

What Digital Analytics solution do you use?

Piwik PRO review by Nathan M.
Nathan M.

"Powerful, free analytics with support for a wide range of platforms. "

What do you like best?

Piwik installs rapidly, configures easily, and presents its data in a form which is useful for execs and admins alike. I set up Piwik to email daily reports to my CEOs, and that has saved me significant time which I formerly spent interpreting and explaining previously cryptic traffic analysis reports. I use a single Piwik instance to monitor several clients' sites, so it's saved time from an administrative standpoint as well as a site development one.

What do you dislike?

Very little. It's great software.

The Drupal e-commerce extensions are currently not working for me on an older instance of Drupal, but several other modules and, indeed, the Drupal 6 core, are EOL, so I am not inclined to attribute that issue to Piwik developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Piwik is simple to install, and free. I'd recommend installing it on a spare server and trying it out, I believe it compares favorably to many paid offerings.

Piwik's multiple site support has saved significant time, where I formerly had to gather reports from multiple client sites, I now need only check Piwik's single dashboard. Piwik's digest reports are an excellent time-saving feature as well, and are self-explanatory enough for tech-illiterate execs.

Piwik PRO review by James L.
James L.

"Great behind the firewall substitute for Google Analytics"

What do you like best?

Piwik is easy to configure, set up and use in environments where you are unable to use Google Analytics. The user interface is intuitive and end users love the data visualizations available out of the box. Developers find it easy to use and setup.

What do you dislike?

There can be some scaling issues with high traffic installations, but the necessary changes are well documented on the Piwik site. It would be nice to have a data admin tool to remove erroneous records form the data. Some of our internal users leave the tracking on when conducting QA and load testing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out, you'll like it.

Our business issue was tracking internal site and application usage without losing control of our data, Our security and legal departments decided that Google Analytics did not give us acceptable data ownership. Our business issue was tracking internal site and application usage without losing control of our data, Our security and legal departments decided that Google Analytics did not give us acceptable data ownership. Piwik has made it much easier for us to allow tracking and run a self-service analytics platform within our organization.

Piwik PRO review by Louisa N.
Louisa N.

"Amazing Reporting"

What do you like best?

The #1 thing I like is the ability for all tracking information to be stored privately and not be used by the company for their own gain. So the data I collect is truly my own, an absolute necessity for business with sensitive consumer information!

What do you dislike?

Honestly the only negative is that I would be responsible for my own data - but they provide a hosted solution that is wonderful as well. There isn't much to dislike!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This will not be an easy copy and paste installation unless you want to use their cloud platform - which is also great, by the way!

#1 problem solved is ownership of the data collected and Piwik is the best solution!

Piwik PRO review by Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Does basic things well, but some numbers tend to get out of sync"

What do you like best?

The ability to create campaigns, like being able to track how many people clicked on your email communication. This helps getting a reach and penetration of your comms.

Being able to view metrics related to various device types, devices and OS.

The time people spent on the tool and number of visitors (unique and repeated)

What do you dislike?

Different visitor categories tend to get out of sync. Meaning the number of visitors broken down by device type are not in sync with other categories.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Here is what we are trying to solve -

1. Usage pattern of the tool, as we are launching a new tool

2. stickiness of the tool to see if people leave after login or do they click around?

3. and effectiveness of the communications using the campaign tracking.

Piwik PRO review by Corrin L.
Corrin L.

"See how every visitor interacts"

What do you like best?

Price. Amazingly rich data. Contains GA style basic reports so you don't lose anything.

What do you dislike?

Not as pretty as Google Analytics. No watching people move the mouse around like e.g. Hotjar. Really hard to do fancy reports using the data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hotjar might be enough if your needs are modest - it's a lot simpler.

I want to know how each individual is interacting with my site so that I can interact more effectively with that individual.

I am not interested in how people are behaving in aggregate, but in how their behaviour on my website fits in with their behaviour in store and via other channels.

Piwik PRO review by Abhishek A.
Abhishek A.

"Great Open source analytics"

What do you like best?

- The product is very simple to use and a wide range of metrics that can be analyzed

- Ability to set event triggers

- Customer Service

What do you dislike?

- Integration with other tools is not very use

- The UI is not very intuitive

- Slow to Use

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great if you want to use event triggers

- Wide range of Analytics and Event triggers

Piwik PRO review by Bruno P.
Bruno P.

"Piwik is a great open source alternative to Google Analytics "

What do you like best?

The fact that the data is stored on my own server

The easy update process

The development team who is very responsive

What do you dislike?

The development team is a bit slow to implement new features

The interface isn't very beautiful, even when using custom themes

Recommendations to others considering the product

Should definitely be used if you want to have control on your monitored data

I want to monitor my vistor's behavior and profile characteristics

I didn't use any monitoring before so I can't compare but it helps me to improve the company's business model

Piwik PRO review by User in Higher Education

"Piwik is an intuitive competitor to Google Analogs"

What do you like best?

I think that the user interface for Piwik is more intuitive than Google Analytics. A new person that is trying to drill down into analytics will probably find it easier to use. I like that the data is stored on our own server and also that we can import old server logs to populate the database. It is great that we are able to add multiple users and vary their permissions, and also use a single Piwik instance for multiple websites.

What do you dislike?

Piwik seems to have less features than Google Analytics. Although expected it definitely is disappointing that it lacks some of the integration with the other Google properties like Adwords that I was used to. Also it appears that lots of the search referrer terms are missing when we use that feature.

We wanted to have lightweight analytics that did not impact page speed and also respected the privacy of our users. The goal was to be able to figure out what pages people were visiting and where they were coming from and why.

Piwik PRO review by Stephen H.
Stephen H.

"Piwik is Fantastic"

What do you like best?

I am loathe to always use google analytics. My desire is to understand my website vistiors or customers not just hand over these statistics straight to an outside party. Google analytics works very well for a "free" offering, but if you can use the equivalent or better and easily manage the whole thing in-house, isn't that prefereable? Once you get a database setup on your system and it is ready, the install is painless as are the one click updates. Pretty eye-candy and useful graphs and filters and options abound

What do you dislike?

I know there is no one size fits all, but like most open source project [ at least when I first installed it] you have to know how to prep your machine [Ubuntu in my case] by creating a database with user and password prior to attempting the install. This is not a problem for me, but is always an impediment to widespread use among non [at least] medium-core users who can setup a database on their system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and see what it can do for you. If you need assistance...there are people like me out there to help with the basics or can be hired to help implement and expand.

Quick dashboard visualization of web traffic to multiple sites and subdomains within.

I run my own BI/data consulting company and am the CEO and technical expert...so I do not know how to classify primary role...there should be an option for all the above.

Piwik PRO review by Aryan B.
Aryan B.

"Analytics for developer"

What do you like best?

Developer api that help developers to use data and make custom report.

What do you dislike?

Piwik is using SQL db and there is no think of scale up and you could not use it for heavy traffic enterprise services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please consider you have to configure it well.

Use as analytic server of ad network.

Piwik PRO review by John R. S.
John R. S.

"The best solution for a difficult problem"

What do you like best?

The best part about Piwik was its ability to track multiple domains, and report then data in one console. This was of major importance to, as we have over 850 different domains that we host, as part of our eCommerce network.

What do you dislike?

The only drawback of Piwik was its appearance, which at times makes navigation difficult. Being a GA user for many years, it has taken some getting familiar with the layout, and at times different verbiage used in finding the data being displayed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When considering Piwik i Suggest you have an implementation partner that is well versed in Piwik, and its quirks, We approached over 10 development groups before finding a partner that was confident with the program, and did not have any doubts that they could complete the project.

The problem Piwik solved for us was the tracking of engagements across multiple domains, which Google, and many others could simply not handle. We also enjoy the fact that this is being hosted by us, and is not being interfered with on any level, like other platforms in the marketplace that are currently available.

Piwik PRO review by Pavlik e.
Pavlik e.

"representative quality of open source product"

What do you like best?

Possibility to host an instance of piwik on a server which we control, enables us to gather analytics while respecting people's privacy.

What do you dislike?

It takes some additional work to enable geolocation of IP addresses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and think about benefit of respecting privacy of people who visit websites you run.

Understanding of traffic to our websites and navigation patterns of people who visit them. It feels encouraging to publish quality content when you see that people take time to get time to read it.

Piwik PRO review by Edwin M.
Edwin M.

"Using it during a convention"

What do you like best?

Great interface and fabulous applications

What do you dislike?

Not much i found it works well. Maybe how it works with other apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it helped us a lot.

Reviewing stats such as participants tracing them and how it looks, the numbers.

Piwik PRO review by Rowdy R.
Rowdy R.

"Great Google Analytics alternative"

What do you like best?

You, as a user, are in control of the data that is saved. I'll like the fact that I can install it on a server of our own and not in the US.

What do you dislike?

For inexperienced users it can be a bit hard to find the details they are interested in. It's build by developers with lots of features, but I would like to be able to present a minimal view to my users.

I now primarly use Piwik to monitor which browser support we need to maintain on certain websites. It has resulted in dropping IE8 support on multiple sites, cutting costs.

Piwik PRO review by Edward P.
Edward P.

"The Google Analytics Alternative"

What do you like best?

An awesome solution for private web, mobile app, and marketing campaign analytics. Best-in-class features and functionality out-of-the-box. A beautiful user interface that makes the system easy-to-use.

What do you dislike?

Functional customization requires development skills. A few tracking features are ineffective due to Google's monopoly and their anti-competitive tactics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome solution for private web analytics.

Website analytics, mobile app analytics, marketing campaign analytics. Created custom dashboards and reports.

Piwik PRO review by User in Computer Software

"Long-time user"

What do you like best?

Piwik is feature-rich, flexible, and a fantastic alternative to GA for those times when you must self-host all the data.

What do you dislike?

Custom queries/views can be slow and crash the system at times and it's important to cron and batch a lot of the work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Piwik is extremely easy to setup, so if you're on the fence - just spin up a VM (windows + WAMP + piwik) and you should be ready to trial it in no time. If you're ready to proceed, plan for maintaining the database going forward and consider clustering.

We're using piwik for fairly standard site-usage analytics, except that we're required to host all data in-house and not run any 3rd party code, like GA would require us to use.

Piwik PRO review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Great Standalone Analytics"

What do you like best?

Piwik is a Great solution for website analytics and generating insights, especially in context of German dataprotection laws, which Prohibits a large number of German companies to use US Based cloud solutions.

The simple Setup and management work great for Web hosting teams to monitor webpage usage, the update cycle is quick and easy.

What do you dislike?

Useability is good, but (given the complexity of the matter) still is prohibitive in case of end user access to the platform. Upgrades can take a long time. Database Space can grow very quickly.

Independent Analytics solution. Quick to implement, Massive gain in insight and overview of usage patterns.

Piwik PRO review by Myk K.
Myk K.

"Analytics customized to fit my needs"

What do you like best?

Since Piwik is installed locally, I can customize the platform to track the right information that my BI and marketing team needs.

What do you dislike?

Some features required extensive cusomization of our server infrastructure to get up and running.

We create user facing products and being able to have clear insight into how our customers interact with our product is integral to our success.

Piwik PRO review by Petar E.
Petar E.

"Very Agile Interface"

What do you like best?

The web interface is very detailed and you can easily move objects around.

What do you dislike?

Logic behind the settings menu is a bit confusing.

Better overview of the users visiting the site.

Piwik PRO review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"wonderful"

What do you like best?

To have an in-house analytics system is really great to have. It works very similar to google analytics, which is a plus

What do you dislike?

not sure, piwik provides everything we need

page track, campaign track, email track, etc

Learning about Piwik PRO?

* We monitor all Piwik PRO reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.