Piwik

Piwik is an open source web analytics platform that gives you valuable insights into you website's visitors, your marketing campaigns and much more, so you can optimize your strategy and online experience of your visitors. It is free to download and use.

Work for Piwik?

Learning about Piwik?

Piwik Reviews

Ask Piwik a Question
Showing 60 Piwik reviews
Piwik review by <span>John R.</span>
John R.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

If you want to have absolute control over your own data, Piwik is the analytics solution you need. Regardless of whether or not you trust Google, it's a great advantage to have your own copy of the raw data collected from site visitors.

The ability to dive in deep on the data is a valuable asset. And since we have the data in our own database, we can run our own custom queries against it if needed.

What do you dislike?

Older versions felt like the admin screen loaded slowly. But new versions appear to have improved speed. The dashboards in general have improved. So use the newest version!

We run both Piwik and Google Analytics. The benefit we gain with this setup is they keep each other honest. This intentional redundancy lets us know if one or the other has stopped working. It also gives us two data points to compare so we have a more robust picture of the data.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Piwik
Piwik review by <span>William P.</span>
William P.
Validated Review

A great secondary web state program

Validated Review
What do you like best?

We've been using Piwik to run as a secondary web metrics platform and we've seen it grown alot in the last year or two. It has a lot of features that make understanding metrics easy and manageable.

What do you dislike?

Piwik is still catching up to some of the features of the bigger named program. It has a great start and has grown alot recently, but still has some areas to grown in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a great secondary program to gather stats and compare against your other platforms.

It has allowed us to reach a different set of customers and allows us to confirm and compare the other web metrics that we have collected on other platforms.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Digital Analytics solution do you use?

Piwik review by <span>Daniel K.</span>
Daniel K.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

It's great that it's open sourced and doesn't require an expensive $$ outlay. That's great for startups where there's not a lot of money to go around. It's also excellent that you can host your own servers, in that, the analytics data collected remains owned and managed by you. There's no third party or other possible privacy breach. The UI is well designed and fairly easy to navigate and find what you're looking for.

What do you dislike?

There are certain things that just aren't working for me. I'm specifically focusing on analyzing user behavior via predefined goals. The goal tracking appears to work great. What isn't working so great is that when I apply a custom segment (in this case filtering out specific URL referrers so that testers do not pollute the production analytics), I get an "Oops error". There's no other details and despite asking to check the error logs, there's not a single line in any available error log. Even when installing the log viewer plugin, it's completely barren of error level entries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try to see if it meets your needs before considering other paid solutions.

We're trying to understand how are users are not using the product. We need to know where users are dropping off. Once we know what is happening, we can review the design and flow to see how we can improve this funnel.

Piwik review by <span>Osiloke E.</span>
Osiloke E.
Validated Review

Quick view of my sites traffic

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Piwik has a straightforward interface that any novice could dive right into. I was particularly impressed by how easy i was able to launch and start recording analytics data for a project i was working on. Its live traffic feature was able to give me a quick estimation of user interaction on my website.

What do you dislike?

The user interface could be improved and more polished

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to get away from the grips of google, you should take a look at piwik.

I was looking for an alternative to google analytics. It has a quick learning curve and the live traffic was very interesting

Piwik review by <span>Anna F.</span>
Anna F.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

I like to own the data I manage. Most free analytics solutions don't offer that. With Piwik you host your data analytics on your own server, not sharing it with third-party services (like ads). I like some features of Piwik too (like Piwik Overlay Maps which show how many clicks each on-page link has triggered). It's a nice visualization of how users interact with my pages. Other reports are probably standard: You get to see top referrals, top referral keywords (most will be non-provided), conversions / goals, landing / entry and exit pages and so on. If you get a lot of traffic, you'll find real-time map feature very addictive too. The dashboard view is very easy to customize which I loved

What do you dislike?

It's hard to install, at least the way I did it. It should be hosted on your own server, so I had to hire a developer to help me. Google Analytics is easier of course but with Piwik you own all the data and save it on your own server. It's not as indepth as Google Analytics either.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a tech team, give it a try

It's the best free self-hosted independent web analytics solution I am aware of

Piwik review by <span>Royall S.</span>
Royall S.
Validated Review

Robust features and smooth operation

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Piwik installs easily and doesn't interfere with the user experience. It also includes a robust Javascript API comparable to the industry leader and a PHP-based extension system. Even if Piwik doesn't have a feature I might want, I apparently have the ability to program just about any new feature as an extension. Some of these, like the database status reporter, provide indispensable information about the health of the server. The built-in Geolite database downloader is another welcome surprise.

The reports are highly customizable and easy to work with. It also filters out referral spam, which is something Google doesn't do.

What do you dislike?

The interface feels a little rough around the edges. I'd also like to see it use a front controller design pattern that keeps code besides index.php out of the webroot, but these are things that can be improved down the road. I'd also like to see a more attractive default theme. As is, it's a little on the ugly side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very easy to install, so just give it a try and see for yourself.

I'm trying to track and maximize conversions. Piwik provides detailed information on individual users, which Google only allows in aggregate. This allows much more accurate generation of narratives to describe the desires of users on the site.

Learning about Piwik?

* We monitor all Piwik reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.