Piwik

Piwik is an open source web analytics platform that gives you valuable insights into you website's visitors, your marketing campaigns and much more, so you can optimize your strategy and online experience of your visitors. It is free to download and use.

Work for Piwik?

Learning about Piwik?

Piwik Reviews

Ask Piwik a Question
Showing 62 Piwik reviews
Piwik review by John R.
John R.

"A great alternative or companion to Google Analytics"

What do you like best?

If you want to have absolute control over your own data, Piwik is the analytics solution you need. Regardless of whether or not you trust Google, it's a great advantage to have your own copy of the raw data collected from site visitors.

The ability to dive in deep on the data is a valuable asset. And since we have the data in our own database, we can run our own custom queries against it if needed.

What do you dislike?

Older versions felt like the admin screen loaded slowly. But new versions appear to have improved speed. The dashboards in general have improved. So use the newest version!

We run both Piwik and Google Analytics. The benefit we gain with this setup is they keep each other honest. This intentional redundancy lets us know if one or the other has stopped working. It also gives us two data points to compare so we have a more robust picture of the data.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Piwik
Piwik review by William P.
William P.

"A great secondary web state program"

What do you like best?

We've been using Piwik to run as a secondary web metrics platform and we've seen it grown alot in the last year or two. It has a lot of features that make understanding metrics easy and manageable.

What do you dislike?

Piwik is still catching up to some of the features of the bigger named program. It has a great start and has grown alot recently, but still has some areas to grown in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a great secondary program to gather stats and compare against your other platforms.

It has allowed us to reach a different set of customers and allows us to confirm and compare the other web metrics that we have collected on other platforms.

What Digital Analytics solution do you use?

Piwik review by Daniel K.
Daniel K.

"Looked great on paper, but real-world has not been so clear-sailing"

What do you like best?

It's great that it's open sourced and doesn't require an expensive $$ outlay. That's great for startups where there's not a lot of money to go around. It's also excellent that you can host your own servers, in that, the analytics data collected remains owned and managed by you. There's no third party or other possible privacy breach. The UI is well designed and fairly easy to navigate and find what you're looking for.

What do you dislike?

There are certain things that just aren't working for me. I'm specifically focusing on analyzing user behavior via predefined goals. The goal tracking appears to work great. What isn't working so great is that when I apply a custom segment (in this case filtering out specific URL referrers so that testers do not pollute the production analytics), I get an "Oops error". There's no other details and despite asking to check the error logs, there's not a single line in any available error log. Even when installing the log viewer plugin, it's completely barren of error level entries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try to see if it meets your needs before considering other paid solutions.

We're trying to understand how are users are not using the product. We need to know where users are dropping off. Once we know what is happening, we can review the design and flow to see how we can improve this funnel.

Piwik review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Do not see what they offer that Google Analytics doesn't"

What do you like best?

Piwik's strength is in that the software is easy to navigate and understand. Additionally, you can seamlessly search by a certain time frame to determine how your website is doing.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike, but I also do not see the added benefit from this software over using Google Analytics. I think at best, this software is likely easier to use who may not be as tech savvy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend looking into Google Analytics and determining if Piwik offers anything that Google Analytics does.

We use Piwik to track all internet traffic that flows through our website throughout the year, including determining the down periods and how to increase engagement during that time.

Piwik review by Osiloke E.
Osiloke E.

"Quick view of my sites traffic"

What do you like best?

Piwik has a straightforward interface that any novice could dive right into. I was particularly impressed by how easy i was able to launch and start recording analytics data for a project i was working on. Its live traffic feature was able to give me a quick estimation of user interaction on my website.

What do you dislike?

The user interface could be improved and more polished

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to get away from the grips of google, you should take a look at piwik.

I was looking for an alternative to google analytics. It has a quick learning curve and the live traffic was very interesting

Piwik review by Anna F.
Anna F.

"Indepth, free web analytics solution to try"

What do you like best?

I like to own the data I manage. Most free analytics solutions don't offer that. With Piwik you host your data analytics on your own server, not sharing it with third-party services (like ads). I like some features of Piwik too (like Piwik Overlay Maps which show how many clicks each on-page link has triggered). It's a nice visualization of how users interact with my pages. Other reports are probably standard: You get to see top referrals, top referral keywords (most will be non-provided), conversions / goals, landing / entry and exit pages and so on. If you get a lot of traffic, you'll find real-time map feature very addictive too. The dashboard view is very easy to customize which I loved

What do you dislike?

It's hard to install, at least the way I did it. It should be hosted on your own server, so I had to hire a developer to help me. Google Analytics is easier of course but with Piwik you own all the data and save it on your own server. It's not as indepth as Google Analytics either.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a tech team, give it a try

It's the best free self-hosted independent web analytics solution I am aware of

Piwik review by Royall S.
Royall S.

"Robust features and smooth operation"

What do you like best?

Piwik installs easily and doesn't interfere with the user experience. It also includes a robust Javascript API comparable to the industry leader and a PHP-based extension system. Even if Piwik doesn't have a feature I might want, I apparently have the ability to program just about any new feature as an extension. Some of these, like the database status reporter, provide indispensable information about the health of the server. The built-in Geolite database downloader is another welcome surprise.

The reports are highly customizable and easy to work with. It also filters out referral spam, which is something Google doesn't do.

What do you dislike?

The interface feels a little rough around the edges. I'd also like to see it use a front controller design pattern that keeps code besides index.php out of the webroot, but these are things that can be improved down the road. I'd also like to see a more attractive default theme. As is, it's a little on the ugly side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very easy to install, so just give it a try and see for yourself.

I'm trying to track and maximize conversions. Piwik provides detailed information on individual users, which Google only allows in aggregate. This allows much more accurate generation of narratives to describe the desires of users on the site.

Piwik review by Nathan M.
Nathan M.

"Powerful, free analytics with support for a wide range of platforms. "

What do you like best?

Piwik installs rapidly, configures easily, and presents its data in a form which is useful for execs and admins alike. I set up Piwik to email daily reports to my CEOs, and that has saved me significant time which I formerly spent interpreting and explaining previously cryptic traffic analysis reports. I use a single Piwik instance to monitor several clients' sites, so it's saved time from an administrative standpoint as well as a site development one.

What do you dislike?

Very little. It's great software.

The Drupal e-commerce extensions are currently not working for me on an older instance of Drupal, but several other modules and, indeed, the Drupal 6 core, are EOL, so I am not inclined to attribute that issue to Piwik developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Piwik is simple to install, and free. I'd recommend installing it on a spare server and trying it out, I believe it compares favorably to many paid offerings.

Piwik's multiple site support has saved significant time, where I formerly had to gather reports from multiple client sites, I now need only check Piwik's single dashboard. Piwik's digest reports are an excellent time-saving feature as well, and are self-explanatory enough for tech-illiterate execs.

Piwik review by Cort Tafoya M.
Cort Tafoya M.

"Sometimes Piwik user in lieu of Google Analytics"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to navigate around. There are no sidebar issues like with Google Analytics.

What do you dislike?

Google Analytics offers Tag Manager as an easy tool to integrate events and goals (i.e. important button clicks). I have not found that to be as easy with Piwik.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Setup a google analytics account and compare the UX and features to see which one you like more.

We look at visitor data from different acquisition sources to see which channels perform the best.

Piwik review by James L.
James L.

"Great behind the firewall substitute for Google Analytics"

What do you like best?

Piwik is easy to configure, set up and use in environments where you are unable to use Google Analytics. The user interface is intuitive and end users love the data visualizations available out of the box. Developers find it easy to use and setup.

What do you dislike?

There can be some scaling issues with high traffic installations, but the necessary changes are well documented on the Piwik site. It would be nice to have a data admin tool to remove erroneous records form the data. Some of our internal users leave the tracking on when conducting QA and load testing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out, you'll like it.

Our business issue was tracking internal site and application usage without losing control of our data, Our security and legal departments decided that Google Analytics did not give us acceptable data ownership. Our business issue was tracking internal site and application usage without losing control of our data, Our security and legal departments decided that Google Analytics did not give us acceptable data ownership. Piwik has made it much easier for us to allow tracking and run a self-service analytics platform within our organization.

Piwik review by Louisa N.
Louisa N.

"Amazing Reporting"

What do you like best?

The #1 thing I like is the ability for all tracking information to be stored privately and not be used by the company for their own gain. So the data I collect is truly my own, an absolute necessity for business with sensitive consumer information!

What do you dislike?

Honestly the only negative is that I would be responsible for my own data - but they provide a hosted solution that is wonderful as well. There isn't much to dislike!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This will not be an easy copy and paste installation unless you want to use their cloud platform - which is also great, by the way!

#1 problem solved is ownership of the data collected and Piwik is the best solution!

Piwik review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"A Poor Man's Google Analytics"

What do you like best?

For new to Piwik the one positive is the platform's similar UX of Google Analytics, so onboarding is fairly quick.

What do you dislike?

Loading times within the platform are painstakingly slow, especially when selecting larger date ranges. Comparison tools are not readily available, and attribution with secondary dimensions are largely disorganized or not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those considering Piwik, stick to more of the largely adopted web analytics platforms like GA or Adobe.

Site performance across omnichannel campaigns has been the main use of this platform. One of the benefits of reviewing site performance is the ability to view site creative.

Piwik review by Daniel T.
Daniel T.

"Great interface, deep data"

What do you like best?

Coming from the complicated spreadsheet world of Google Analytics, the clear interface of Piwik is a breath of fresh air. The layout is customizable and modular, and the front page gives you a great overview of your hits, as well as any detail you might want on trends or sub-set review. With our own installation, the 'cookie-less' options work great, and we are much happier now we can keep our users data private and not share with Google.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app-based dashboard is a neat feature, but needs some more work to display the information as clearly as in the desktop interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that for a majority of web administrators, Piwik will provide a quicker way to get the essential data.

We now have a much better understanding of the trends driving traffic to our website, and can get a picture of users much quicker than when we were using Google Analytics.

Piwik review by David B.
David B.

"Great alternative for Google Analytics if you need to own your data"

What do you like best?

Piwik is easy to set up, and quick to get started, Updates come frequently and bugs are resolved quickly. The integration seems to be very lean and does not have a significant impact on page loading times (unlike more invasive trackers). Integration with location services is easy and works well, however for more accurate location tracking a commercial license is recommended.

What do you dislike?

GUI is decent for an Open Source product, but compared to commercial products lacks in visual representation and easy to use options. Lack of different back-ends means that very large datasets will make reports slow and more difficult to extract.

Additionally statistics seems to be slightly less accurate than Google Analytics, especially if you do not optimize the instance across a high-available setup.

Tracking custom events to a level that is not allowed or not possible with Google Analytics while retaining full ownership of data and reports. The key benefits to Piwik is that you own the entire solution and there is no black-box processing that obfuscates the source data.

Piwik review by Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Does basic things well, but some numbers tend to get out of sync"

What do you like best?

The ability to create campaigns, like being able to track how many people clicked on your email communication. This helps getting a reach and penetration of your comms.

Being able to view metrics related to various device types, devices and OS.

The time people spent on the tool and number of visitors (unique and repeated)

What do you dislike?

Different visitor categories tend to get out of sync. Meaning the number of visitors broken down by device type are not in sync with other categories.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Here is what we are trying to solve -

1. Usage pattern of the tool, as we are launching a new tool

2. stickiness of the tool to see if people leave after login or do they click around?

3. and effectiveness of the communications using the campaign tracking.

Piwik review by Corrin L.
Corrin L.

"See how every visitor interacts"

What do you like best?

Price. Amazingly rich data. Contains GA style basic reports so you don't lose anything.

What do you dislike?

Not as pretty as Google Analytics. No watching people move the mouse around like e.g. Hotjar. Really hard to do fancy reports using the data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hotjar might be enough if your needs are modest - it's a lot simpler.

I want to know how each individual is interacting with my site so that I can interact more effectively with that individual.

I am not interested in how people are behaving in aggregate, but in how their behaviour on my website fits in with their behaviour in store and via other channels.

Piwik review by Kaveh R.
Kaveh R.

"Good opensource helper"

What do you like best?

Its opensource and you can develop it, piwik has a good community.

Piwik is a great alternative to Google Analytics if you need something to run on your own servers. It also helps to analyze traffic more closely by turning on features to track ip addresses. This allows for closer analysis of activity on your website.

What do you dislike?

Custom queries/views can be slow and crash the system at times and it's important to cron and batch a lot of the work.

The documentation on how to write plugins for Piwik are lacking. It used to be difficult to have it analyze log files but that has been corrected in recent releases.

Use Piwik if you want a fast and easy self-hosted analytics solution.

Piwik review by Bruno P.
Bruno P.

"Piwik is a great open source alternative to Google Analytics "

What do you like best?

The fact that the data is stored on my own server

The easy update process

The development team who is very responsive

What do you dislike?

The development team is a bit slow to implement new features

The interface isn't very beautiful, even when using custom themes

Recommendations to others considering the product

Should definitely be used if you want to have control on your monitored data

I want to monitor my vistor's behavior and profile characteristics

I didn't use any monitoring before so I can't compare but it helps me to improve the company's business model

Piwik review by William M.
William M.

"Simply the best in one word is Piwik."

What do you like best?

The 3 most important points are :

1) Simpel in use, yet fully and great in performance.

2) Always a perfectly working upgrade.

3) Stable. Once it runs, it doen't stop.

An example of how OpenSource should be, you are never forced on something you don't need or want.

What do you dislike?

That must be the most difficult question. Can't really say there is something. If there was something, but it's minor, then I would say Themes. More available for all to use, or adding a setting option for just changing colors etc...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stop with testing other solutions. Start with Piwik, and you will be happy with the spare time you got that otherwise would be wasted on testing the compitition. That actually doesn't exist.

We are using Piwik almost from the start back in 2008 when I first made my personal homepage. Ever since I never stoped using Piwik. Sure I have been testing others, in all kind of forms and types. Only Piwik stayed, and will stay forever.

If you are a home user, website builder, small business or big company. Piwik has it all and serves them all. First class, extendable and extremely stable tool that everybody should inplement in there website, intranet, or whatever you have developed for others to find, use or to connect with.

You will greathfully be rewarded with data and reports on what is happening in your world.

Piwik review by Brad J.
Brad J.

"Using and Customizing Piwik"

What do you like best?

I am most impressed by Piwiks price (free), the ability to easily install and upgrade and the ability to customize it for specific purposes. There are multiple ways to gather stats from javascript on web pages to images on the pages.

Piwik is very easy to install on most web server rental sites. It works very well with any of the cloud services like AWS.

What do you dislike?

We were building a plugin to monitor the usage data to find cyber attacks against web applications. We were able to write a custom plug in and reports to show when specific types of cyber attacks were underway.

It also worked well for providing web site traffic analytics to multiple customers and allowed for rebranding.

Piwik review by Michael B.
Michael B.

"So far Piwik is serving as a good replacement for Google Analytics."

What do you like best?

It's free and it works.

Forty characters minimum.

What do you dislike?

I need to use it a bit longer before I can say anything I don't like about it. I'm not a huge fan of php which it's authored in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We ended up forking this repo and reconfigured it: https://github.com/piwik/docker-piwik

Well GA is charging a ton of money for their product as we've gone over the max events before paying. Now we are leveraging statsd and piwik and it's just as effective.

Piwik review by Davide A.
Davide A.

"It promises to be good... if I ever get any tech support to get it started"

What do you like best?

It would appear to do exactly what I want.

What do you dislike?

Lack of support.

Installation multiple tries. I finally got it to run, sort of: all it shows is the logo.

I asked 3 questions in the forum, and got no help.

Website analytics.

Piwik review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Powerful and rich data but not perhaps so flexable as you wish"

What do you like best?

1. Piwik already provides with detailed customers information , which could be segmented.

2. Piwik has a customizable event log system that could be used to log customed information.

3. Piwik has a plugin system which seems to be plugable.

4. Piwik support powerful log analysts.

5. Access to behavior details of every single user.

What do you dislike?

1. Piwik doesn't query the databases as effectively as I think, for example, I can't get a complete transition chart for a whole month because of MySQL query timeout (The average PV of my site is below 10, 000 per day, and I am only using the log analytics tool.

2. Piwik doesn't have much static tools for customed events logs, maybe developing a plugin could help a bit?

3. User behavior detail can't be categorized automatically, maybe developing a plugin could help?

1. More customizable daily access log analytics.

2. Front end performance data collection.

3. Analyze user behavior details only through configured access logs.

Piwik review by User in Higher Education

"Piwik is an intuitive competitor to Google Analogs"

What do you like best?

I think that the user interface for Piwik is more intuitive than Google Analytics. A new person that is trying to drill down into analytics will probably find it easier to use. I like that the data is stored on our own server and also that we can import old server logs to populate the database. It is great that we are able to add multiple users and vary their permissions, and also use a single Piwik instance for multiple websites.

What do you dislike?

Piwik seems to have less features than Google Analytics. Although expected it definitely is disappointing that it lacks some of the integration with the other Google properties like Adwords that I was used to. Also it appears that lots of the search referrer terms are missing when we use that feature.

We wanted to have lightweight analytics that did not impact page speed and also respected the privacy of our users. The goal was to be able to figure out what pages people were visiting and where they were coming from and why.

Piwik review by Erik R.
Erik R.

"Analytics for those who know"

What do you like best?

Multiple sites can be easily configured and tracked in one central dashboard.

There is more than one way to track the site visits - javascript is not necessary (but is of course the easiest way to track)

With the new version 2.0, various reports can be 'widgetized' and embedded in other web pages that are not necessarily part of the main Piwik domain (i.e. you can embed live reports in a client's intranet)

What do you dislike?

Initial setup is simple, but you'll need to know something about your server environment.

Importing raw data from server logs is not trivial, and takes a bit of work to get right.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with any analytics program, Piwik has enabled us to look at where the traffic is going and how to optimize for that traffic. In particular, the nightly email reports keep the design and account staff engaged with the sites and give them a 'big picture' view.

Capturing analytics from multiple websites. We are under control of all our data.

Piwik review by User

"Free and open source analytics with plenty of premium features"

What do you like best?

Free and open source, but with plenty of features found in most premium analytics software; email reporting and user insights

What do you dislike?

Piwik would benefit from richer visual representations of data; demographic data could use work

As a web developer, Piwik allowed me to gain deeper insight into how users are using my clients' websites

Piwik review by Stephen H.
Stephen H.

"Piwik is Fantastic"

What do you like best?

I am loathe to always use google analytics. My desire is to understand my website vistiors or customers not just hand over these statistics straight to an outside party. Google analytics works very well for a "free" offering, but if you can use the equivalent or better and easily manage the whole thing in-house, isn't that prefereable? Once you get a database setup on your system and it is ready, the install is painless as are the one click updates. Pretty eye-candy and useful graphs and filters and options abound

What do you dislike?

I know there is no one size fits all, but like most open source project [ at least when I first installed it] you have to know how to prep your machine [Ubuntu in my case] by creating a database with user and password prior to attempting the install. This is not a problem for me, but is always an impediment to widespread use among non [at least] medium-core users who can setup a database on their system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and see what it can do for you. If you need assistance...there are people like me out there to help with the basics or can be hired to help implement and expand.

Quick dashboard visualization of web traffic to multiple sites and subdomains within.

I run my own BI/data consulting company and am the CEO and technical expert...so I do not know how to classify primary role...there should be an option for all the above.

Piwik review by Aryan B.
Aryan B.

"Analytics for developer"

What do you like best?

Developer api that help developers to use data and make custom report.

What do you dislike?

Piwik is using SQL db and there is no think of scale up and you could not use it for heavy traffic enterprise services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please consider you have to configure it well.

Use as analytic server of ad network.

Piwik review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Great Open Source Analytics Platform Alternative"

What do you like best?

Clean design, easy to install, upgrade and use. Great open source user community behind product.

What do you dislike?

The install is a little heavy at nearly 40MB.

Product is still not that well known so clients and users may need to get up a learning curve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be open minded and get involved in the Piwik community.

I recently had a client who had privacy concerns so to be make the customer happy I went with Piwik. With Piwik there are no real privacy concerns because you own and host the data.

Piwik also has many already built plugins for popular sites such as WordPress and this will take the pain out of implementing and maintaining.

Piwik has a "Live" view but it is not as robust as Google Analytics Real-Time view. However, there is a great open source user community behind Piwik and I am confident with time this feature along with others will catch up to Google.

Piwik review by John R. S.
John R. S.

"The best solution for a difficult problem"

What do you like best?

The best part about Piwik was its ability to track multiple domains, and report then data in one console. This was of major importance to, as we have over 850 different domains that we host, as part of our eCommerce network.

What do you dislike?

The only drawback of Piwik was its appearance, which at times makes navigation difficult. Being a GA user for many years, it has taken some getting familiar with the layout, and at times different verbiage used in finding the data being displayed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When considering Piwik i Suggest you have an implementation partner that is well versed in Piwik, and its quirks, We approached over 10 development groups before finding a partner that was confident with the program, and did not have any doubts that they could complete the project.

The problem Piwik solved for us was the tracking of engagements across multiple domains, which Google, and many others could simply not handle. We also enjoy the fact that this is being hosted by us, and is not being interfered with on any level, like other platforms in the marketplace that are currently available.

Piwik review by Pavlik e.
Pavlik e.

"representative quality of open source product"

What do you like best?

Possibility to host an instance of piwik on a server which we control, enables us to gather analytics while respecting people's privacy.

What do you dislike?

It takes some additional work to enable geolocation of IP addresses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and think about benefit of respecting privacy of people who visit websites you run.

Understanding of traffic to our websites and navigation patterns of people who visit them. It feels encouraging to publish quality content when you see that people take time to get time to read it.

Piwik review by Rowdy R.
Rowdy R.

"Great Google Analytics alternative"

What do you like best?

You, as a user, are in control of the data that is saved. I'll like the fact that I can install it on a server of our own and not in the US.

What do you dislike?

For inexperienced users it can be a bit hard to find the details they are interested in. It's build by developers with lots of features, but I would like to be able to present a minimal view to my users.

I now primarly use Piwik to monitor which browser support we need to maintain on certain websites. It has resulted in dropping IE8 support on multiple sites, cutting costs.

Piwik review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Great analytics solution for standard inexpensive tracking"

What do you like best?

Pages and Page Titles reporting provide actionable insights. Using those one can know which pages have high traffic but also high bounce rates. So, those would need content optimization, to increase engagement. The Real-time Map feature is also useful in tracking visitors by geo location. This helps in improving product availability during key holiday periods, when every transaction counts. Dashboard and Overview reporting provides quick snapshot of site performance in terms of traffic, engagement, loyalty and pathing. Operating System, Visitor Browser and Browser Plugins gave an indepth understanding of visitor profile, so site design could be made more responsive based on device resolution and browser type.

What do you dislike?

Category traffic and conversion reports need custom implementation. No this year to last year metrics comparison feature available. Date Range, Site Search and report export features are not very robust. This results in additional manual efforts, to make reporting more actionable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an open source analytics software, with minimal cost and technical support. So, please keep that in mind while using it. It has all the standard features like visitors, actions, referrers reporting but doesn't have advanced functionality like category conversions or segmentation. It is possible to enhance it but that would mean additional implementation expenses.

Using this tool for mobile site analytics and user experience improvements of mobile optimised site. Initial deployment was quick and inexpensive, which helped in meeting strict holiday timelines which generated significant positive roi for the business. This allowed more budget for site design and content improvements.

Piwik review by Thomas Z.
Thomas Z.

"The best open web analytics solution"

What do you like best?

It's easy to install, use and update!

It's completly open source and the project is very active: there is new features really often,

What do you dislike?

Is dislike the lack of insights and I would prefer a dashboard alert oriented.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try!

Piwik does more that what you think, but you have to get used to it.

It allows us to better understand our users.

Thanks to Piwik, we know which pages have seen, how the users are using our website and what is their devices.

We can adapt and improve our design & code to improve our users' experiences.

Piwik review by Kasper S.
Kasper S.

"best open source analytics"

What do you like best?

It's open source. So I can just fetch it and install it on my own server

What do you dislike?

It could look better. Design can be improved.

UX/UI could also be improved.

- It's easy to integrate Piwik with other systems through the API.

Piwik review by Edward P.
Edward P.

"The Google Analytics Alternative"

What do you like best?

An awesome solution for private web, mobile app, and marketing campaign analytics. Best-in-class features and functionality out-of-the-box. A beautiful user interface that makes the system easy-to-use.

What do you dislike?

Functional customization requires development skills. A few tracking features are ineffective due to Google's monopoly and their anti-competitive tactics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome solution for private web analytics.

Website analytics, mobile app analytics, marketing campaign analytics. Created custom dashboards and reports.

Piwik review by Abbas Y.
Abbas Y.

"I've used it for around 3 year"

What do you like best?

It is open source and works like a charm

What do you dislike?

It is a little resource hungry, for small installations it need more than just 512MB of ram machine

I've private insight on what is going on my websites

Piwik review by David K.
David K.

"Use to review website traffic"

What do you like best?

Makes it easy to see how much traffic our site is getting and how long people stay

What do you dislike?

It is a little basic in the information it provides

Use to review website traffic

Piwik review by Cynthia R.
Cynthia R.

"Piwik"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, user friendly, graphics not too busy.

What do you dislike?

Lacks funtionality, not as broad based as I need it to be.

I don't work in a department that would know of any issues.

Piwik review by Charles P.
Charles P.

"Own your Analytics and Data"

What do you like best?

Piwik has a plethora of features, and is an excellent free and open-source alternative for site analytics and reporting that lets you generate custom reports in a beautiful UI, and ensure that you own the data that you collect.

What do you dislike?

Piwik's custom event tracking is lacking compared to other solutions, but the development roadmap shows that this will be improving greatly in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Piwik if you want a fast and easy self-hosted analytics solution.

Page tracking and reporting. I needed to quickly see how my sites were doing, but needed to keep my own data.

Piwik review by User in Computer Software

"Long-time user"

What do you like best?

Piwik is feature-rich, flexible, and a fantastic alternative to GA for those times when you must self-host all the data.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Piwik is extremely easy to setup, so if you're on the fence - just spin up a VM (windows + WAMP + piwik) and you should be ready to trial it in no time. If you're ready to proceed, plan for maintaining the database going forward and consider clustering.

We're using piwik for fairly standard site-usage analytics, except that we're required to host all data in-house and not run any 3rd party code, like GA would require us to use.

Piwik review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Piwik: free and open source"

What do you like best?

- Free!

- Open source

- Numerous features

- Community knowledge base

- Privacy matters!

- Piwik Mobile App: easy and smooth to use (I used iOS).

What do you dislike?

From my point of view Piwik:

- Could be more customizable

- Other than that contains no serious drawbacks

- May only be OK for tech savvy people. I had to install or assist in Piwik installation for projects run and led by people without technical background. Some more approachable and entry-level tutorials and explanations could be beneficial for this type of users. Otherwise they will look for some other web analytics software (GA?) or will have to keep on nagging IT folks for help!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a go, especially if you care about your data privacy. It's actually a relief to know that my insights will stay mine.

- Various work and personal uses: from personal blogs to commercial sites

- Quite a versatile tool that can be put to different ends

Piwik review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Great Standalone Analytics"

What do you like best?

Piwik is a Great solution for website analytics and generating insights, especially in context of German dataprotection laws, which Prohibits a large number of German companies to use US Based cloud solutions.

The simple Setup and management work great for Web hosting teams to monitor webpage usage, the update cycle is quick and easy.

What do you dislike?

Useability is good, but (given the complexity of the matter) still is prohibitive in case of end user access to the platform. Upgrades can take a long time. Database Space can grow very quickly.

Independent Analytics solution. Quick to implement, Massive gain in insight and overview of usage patterns.

Piwik review by Alexandre J.
Alexandre J.

"Piwik helped us to track our intranet websites"

What do you like best?

Piwik is open sourced and we can install it inside our domain.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is not the best in is kind. A lot of work could be done to facilitate the navigation in the Piwik interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Trying this product is really easy. 5 minutes and you are good to go! This is a good alternative to Google Analytics for your internal needs!

The data are not in the cloud and we can easly track users on our intranet website.

Piwik review by Administrator in Banking
Administrator in Banking

"Excellent customizability and easy deployment "

What do you like best?

Piwik is by far the best open source analytics software I’ve ever used. Deployment was easy and the ability to customize was far greater than would be expected from a free analytics solution.

What do you dislike?

Piwik would benefit from more visual data representations.

Piwik allows deeper insights into how customers and clients are using their websites and points out areas of potential improvement.

Piwik review by Agency
Agency

"Great analytics tool!"

What do you like best?

Easy to install and provides lots of data.

What do you dislike?

It broke once and all of the websites it was installed on had errors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good tool if you don't like Google Analytics as you get all of the basic data.

Analytics tracking. Once installed we were able to accurately report on visitor traffic and behavior.

Piwik review by Administrator in Management Consulting
Administrator in Management Consulting

"Really user-friendly"

What do you like best?

The easiness to use it, easier than Google Analytics in my opinion

What do you dislike?

Less functionnalities than Google Analytics

Identifiying the sources of trafics bursts

Piwik review by Melissa L.
Melissa L.

"Great for data ownership, but it's no Google"

What do you like best?

Very easy to install, boasts the ability to program extra capabilities as addons.

What do you dislike?

Would like a better interface and shared data from screen to screen.

Being able to monitor multiple sites at a time is saving us a great deal!

Piwik review by Myk K.
Myk K.

"Analytics customized to fit my needs"

What do you like best?

Since Piwik is installed locally, I can customize the platform to track the right information that my BI and marketing team needs.

What do you dislike?

Some features required extensive cusomization of our server infrastructure to get up and running.

We create user facing products and being able to have clear insight into how our customers interact with our product is integral to our success.

Piwik review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Good alternative to Google analytics"

What do you like best?

Easy to read and interpret reports, covers all the important metrics.

What do you dislike?

Goal conversation tracking wasn't as intuitive as I would have liked to get set up.

Tracking visitors and understanding the demographics... about them and e-commerce tracking.

Piwik review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Piwik allows you to host sensitive data privately"

What do you like best?

Open source and free, allows you to keep business sensitive website data in your own server, and if you host it in a really fast server (SSD) it really shines. Ships with most basic features and you can customize for more.

What do you dislike?

Not as much documentation as it is not as covered by third party bloggers/writters as proprietary or other widely used analytics software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Run alongside other analytics suite to validate the data.

Used as a second tool for analysis running alongside other analytics software.

Piwik review by Ibán R.
Ibán R.

"A superb web analytics application"

What do you like best?

It's an open source project, it's very easy to use, you are able to keep your data under your control and you are able to keep you client's privacy.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it could be quite slow the interface, but it is quite good in all ways..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it. It is a very good choice to implement for your business.

I am development a Marketing Campaign, and Piwik gives me all the insights I need to do it in a proper way.

Piwik review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Piwik Review"

What do you like best?

Open source, 100% Data ownership, customization options mobile app is handy and integration with CMS.

What do you dislike?

not as comprehensive as google analytics or adobe omniture, lag while loading, ux could be better

Recommendations to others considering the product

less bot traffic than GA and 100% data ownership but not as easy to use as GA

Self hosted and owned web data analytics platform. Was required as upgrade on GA

Piwik review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Internal Wen Application"

What do you like best?

The tool is very ease to install and operate.

What do you dislike?

The tool could not integrate with other applications and the data did not seem as accurate other tools, e.g. WebTrends, Adobe

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good tool for basic web metrics if you do not need any support or need to integrate with other applications.

We were trying to see how many employees were accessing an internal site along with their geographic location.

Piwik review by Petar E.
Petar E.

"Very Agile Interface"

What do you like best?

The web interface is very detailed and you can easily move objects around.

What do you dislike?

Logic behind the settings menu is a bit confusing.

Better overview of the users visiting the site.

Piwik review by User in Internet

"A nice alternative to Google Analytics"

What do you like best?

The dashboard can display a complete overview of the traffic: from visits, users, duration, downloads, graphics and map.

What do you dislike?

Some issue can be experienced to display the data for heavy traffic. Not as fancy looking as Google analytics.

It is a free self hosted Web analytics.

Piwik review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Great Open-Source Analytics Tool"

What do you like best?

The endless analytical opportunities from it being open-source.

What do you dislike?

Could be a little more user friendly. Can be a little difficult to train employees.

We mainly use this to track phone calls and see where they came from. This is ma Ly used for our paid marketing campaigns.

Piwik review by Agency in Internet
Agency in Internet

"Lots of potential"

What do you like best?

The various analytical options and filters are a great resource

What do you dislike?

User and graphical interface could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think this is a valuable tool to a wide range of users. I highly recommend anyone in need of a thorough analytical tool to take at look at Piwik.

It is important to my user to track their presence using multiple filters. This allows them gauge their impact to tailor themselves effectively.

Piwik review by Shawn M.
Shawn M.

"Powerful package but difficult to setup and maintain"

What do you like best?

I think what I like best about Piwik is the choice to use either a JS tracker or pixel tracker. The pixel tracker comes in handy if you want to track things like Craig's List posts or emails.

What do you dislike?

How difficult it is to setup and maintain. I work with Wordpress pretty heavily so I'm not uncomfortable around a database and server and Piwik was somewhat difficult to get going and update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can't get a self-hosted install of Wordpress up and running you won't get Piwik running.

If you're looking for a Google Analytics equivalent for Craig's List posts then this is worth getting setup.

Piwik review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"wonderful"

What do you like best?

To have an in-house analytics system is really great to have. It works very similar to google analytics, which is a plus

What do you dislike?

not sure, piwik provides everything we need

page track, campaign track, email track, etc

Piwik review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Free analysis reporting that competes with Google Analytics. "

What do you like best?

Free analytic tool with a lot of features such as visitor reports, keyword, marketing reporting, and a lot more. You obviously use your own data and the tool is also open source. Can schedule automatic reports.

What do you dislike?

Possible security issues but Piwik offers rewards to researchers that find the bugs and disclose them to Piwik.

Recommendations to others considering the product

None

Piwik review by Jared T.
Jared T.

"Open source self hosted web analytics"

What do you like best?

Open source so its free, can be modified and customized, provides a nice dashboard to view web traffic, nice alternative to google analytics, results are in real time which google analytics is not

What do you dislike?

Need to be technically savvy to get it up and running

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great option for measuring web traffic if you are willing to put in the effort and have the technical know how

Learning about Piwik?

* We monitor all Piwik reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.