Pixelmator

Full featured image editor for Mac.

Work for Pixelmator?

Learning about Pixelmator?

Pixelmator Reviews

Ask Pixelmator a Question
Showing 53 Pixelmator reviews
Pixelmator review by Matt B.
Matt B.

"It's Not Photoshop"

What do you like best?

Pixelmator is cheap. At $29.99, it's practically a steal. It'll handle almost all of your image editing needs. It's easy on the eyes, and well designed visually.

What do you dislike?

Although well-designed visually, it's not very user-friendly. Having grown up using Photoshop, but not having used Photoshop for over a decade, I've used Pixelmator since it was first released and I still can't get used to certain things. Cropping an image is difficult, switching brushes and brush sizes is harder than it should be, and all the various tools are strewn about the screen, with no real organization to speak of.

I also wish I could use Pixelmator to quickly annotate images so that I didn't need a separate app for that. (Preview doesn't cut it.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using Photoshop if you can afford it. I haven't tried Pixelmator Pro, which may be a better product. I do plan to try that app soon.

Any time I need to make a quick image for work, Pixelmator is there. I use it often when making mockup images. Graphic design is not in my job description, but I still need to make the occasional graphic here and there for mockups and internal websites. If graphic design was in my job description, I would probably be using Photoshop.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Pixelmator
Pixelmator review by Nischal Srinivas R.
Nischal Srinivas R.

"Pixelmator - Awesome tool for both beginners and professionals"

What do you like best?

Pixelmator is very easy to get started, if you are familiar with MS Paint you will feel at home with Pixelmator, apart from the ease of use it also includes a plethora of features. It is not intimidating like Photoshop for beginners. I specifically use this tools to create small mockups, editing graphics assets etc.

What do you dislike?

So far its been fun to use Pixelmator, and I have not found any annoying problems as such. Since I mostly use this tool to create mockups, most of the features required for this task are really simple to use and straightforward, so i have not come across major shortcomings.

Though I have a mac and use this software on my Mac, it would be great if they can add windows support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would really recommend Pixelmator to every beginner whose is just getting started with image editing software, but is not really need a full professional image editing software.

This will be less intimidating for beginners and will help you get started really fast.

I use Pixelmator to prototype and create Mockups when experimenting with a business idea. I also use this tool to edit and make small modifications to game assets that I use in my mobile game development.

The main benefit I have realized is the ease of use and its simplicity, I could get most of the work done without having to go through a steep learning curve that most of the editing softwares are needed.

What Other Design solution do you use?

Pixelmator review by Noah S.
Noah S.

"The best graphic design software available alongside adobe photoshop (IMHO)"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. It is intuitive and has a user-freindly user interface. When I started using Pixelmator years ago I can recall picking it up very quickly and feeling comfortable with the software much faster than when learning Photoshop.

Also, if I start a design in Pixelmator and need to work on it in Photoshop later, I can just export as a PSD. I find that most layers tend to convert exactly, but not 100% of everything. Still a great feature.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to snap my various tools, layers, and effects windows into a grid/snap with the project window. Photoshop is setup this way where everyitng can be drag + drop locked to it's own spot. Pixelmator has all your tools, layers, effects windows free to move at all times. This is handy, but I would like the feature to snap them in to the edges sometimes also.

It could use continuous improvement to all features and adding additional tools. Improvement could be made to PSD export to be very precise when it comes into photoshop without loosing any effects or changing any layer types if absolutely possible

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this as an excellent tool to add to any graphic designer/web designer's toolkit. It can be very good for quick design tasks and image edits/processing and modifications as are numerous in website/wordpress and less-complex graphic design projects. It is a great multipurpose design tool that I find I am able to work in quicker and easer than any other design softwares without having too many extra features in my way to clutter workflow.

Excellent for efficient and speedy graphic and website design. Especially great for website design. Print design it is limited. Adobe Indesign tends to be my go to for print design formatting prior to print, but Pixelmator is my best tool for whipping up designs quickly with a very intuitive interface. A lot faster for me than Photoshop.

Pixelmator review by Raimo K.
Raimo K.

"Great Photoshop Alternative"

What do you like best?

Has all the necessary tools for 99% of the tasks I need for photo manipulation. Also not a subscription, buy once, use it forever! I use Pixelmator mainly to crop photos, make small fixes and repairs, and resize them for websites. Does a really good job, very quickly!

What do you dislike?

Text tools are weak, not as easy to manipulate as it is in other apps. To "wrap" text, it must be converted into pixels first, before you can manipulate the curves. Can't handle SVG's either, not a big deal for my use, but may be in the future,

Recommendations to others considering the product

The new "Pixelmator Pro" is out! that is where I will be going next!

I needed a photo editor to prep client assets for website use. I used to use Photoshop, but the "subscription model" turned me off, as my needs are fairly basic, and all the photoshop layers and tools are overkill most of the time. Pixelmator has been perfect, has great support, and for the last few years, an app I use constantly when adding images to websites.

Pixelmator review by Andra V.
Andra V.

"easy Graphic design for someone who isn't a graphic designer"

What do you like best?

I love how intuitive and easy Pixelmator is to use. I can create quality graphics for visual aids for my classes quickly and easily. I know exactly what each tool does because the buttons are intuitive and I don't have to look through the help section to complete simple tasks. I love how easy it is to manipulate layers to group, order, rename, and organize. This is important to me as I need to work efficiently and often use the same image with minor adjustments such as coloring.

What do you dislike?

There's very little about Pixelmator that I dislike. I am very pleased with the program as I have become familiar with it and use it often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be intimidated if you had difficulties in other graphic programs. Pixelmator is so easy to use. I cannot draw on paper but I have made some great artwork in this program and proved to myself that I am capable of creating my own art and do not have to purchase other peoples art.

I am able to quickly complete tasks that make lesson planning and preparation simple and efficient. I create images that are flattened to be used in other presentation programs on multiple computers and devices and it looks great no matter where I am or what Device I am on. I have realized that I don't need to spend money purchasing other people's clipart when I can easily create my own and make it specialized and personalized for my purposes.

Pixelmator review by Victor P.
Victor P.

"A serviceable Photoshop workalike"

What do you like best?

Despite using Photoshop over the years, I never really mastered its more advanced features, and when Adobe switched to a subscription-only model for Adobe CC, I decided it was time to find a replacement. I tried several and settled on Pixelmator for its modest price, feature set, and ease of use. My favourite feature is its smart healing brush, which can quickly repair blemishes with one stroke. For quick image editing and retouching, I find it more approachable than Photoshop. Pixelmator's layers features may not be as complete, but for my needs, and I suspect for many other photographers, it's more than adequate. If you find Pixelmator too limiting, now there's an even more capable version: Pixelmator Pro.

What do you dislike?

I wish Pixelmator was even easier to use, because nowadays it seems there's less time available to learn any new software features–the app economy has reset expectations for how quickly we should discover and apply tools for specific uses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you crave the power of Photoshop and are willing to invest the time in learning its many different tools, try a simpler, less feature-laden program such as Pixelmator. You may find it adequate for your needs, and what's more, it's free of the onerous subscription fee Adobe charges you each month.

I typically use Pixelmator to make simple composites for online video cover images, and to perform minor retouching on people photos.

Pixelmator review by Mike K.
Mike K.

"Professional Quality using a Basic Program "

What do you like best?

Pixelmator is a good photo editor and printing app that offers great quality edition options that could pass off as something done through photoshop. Pixelmator's interface is simple enough for even the least tech savvy person, which will take little time for them to learn and more time to get to the good stuff. The filter choices are incredible, and it has turned some of my photos into something I am genuinely impressed by. I also enjoy that Pixelmator has apps compatible with all of my devices allowing me to do basic editing without having to carry my laptop.

What do you dislike?

Pixelmator is only recommended for basic photo editing. If you plan on using it beyond basic editing, it will be more of a headache to use than using Adobe because you will find out that there is more restrictions in terms of file compatibility, and editing capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out this App to see if it will meet your needs before trying out more expensive alternatives (Ex. Adobe)

On-the-go Photo editing. This program is good for a person on the go looking to do some basic editing for social media channel or basic publicity content.

Pixelmator review by Dave C.
Dave C.

"The best alternative to Photoship"

What do you like best?

The value. Great features at an amazing price. Feature-wise, the healing brush is magic. Easily remove unwanted artifacts from your images, or even add background at the edges to change the aspect ratio.

What do you dislike?

No Windows version. The only have versions for macOS and iOS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Last year they had a sale (50% off) on or around black Friday. I also noticed that they are coming out with a “Pro” version too that will do more stuff, like vector, page layout, non-destructive effects and more. But those are beyond our simple use cases.

The marketing team needs to crop, resize, and do basic edits and corrections on photos before posting to the blog, newsletter, or social media. This app is perfect for all of those use cases. And standardizing on a single, inexpensive app means we can buy as many licenses as we need, and once the team is trained, they can help each other out.

Pixelmator review by Iñigo N.
Iñigo N.

"Simple to use. It can be powerful if you know how to use it."

What do you like best?

What I like the most about Pixelmator is how simple it is. I've used adobe products before and Pixelmator's learning curve is far less steep. For a beginner who has a mac its an amazing piece of sofware.

What do you dislike?

There are two things that annoy me. The first is that there is not much information online about how to use Pixelmator. The online website is great for beginners, but once you try to do something complex, you are mostly on your own. You end up figuring it out, but it's not as simple as when you start using it. The second thing that I dislike is the vector mode. It's practically useless. Illustrator compatibility is a must, and it doesn't have it. But besides this two things the software is actually pretty good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its great for simple things, not for complex designing.

Most of our designing is done using Pixelmator. Not just for marketing, but for everything else too. The main benefit is that the learning curve is not very steep, so if someone has to learn it from scratch it doesn't take a lot of time.

Pixelmator review by Brianna L.
Brianna L.

"Pixelmator is great"

What do you like best?

I love the apple esque user experience. I think if Apple built photoshop, it would be exactly like pixelmator. They always take advantage of all the new features on macOS, and they even support all the latest features of iOS!

What do you dislike?

Generally, the only gripe I have with this software is the new Pixelmator Pro that was subsequently released. I’m hoping we’ll be able to get that for work but the standard Pixelmator is still quite good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the Pro version first. The features in it are quite good.

Pixelmator is great for getting all the photo edits, creative vector designs, and small edits on existing photoshop files a whirl. We also lean heavily on Pixelmator’s integration into iCloud, which allows us to fluidly work on projects from whatever computer we happen to be using.

Pixelmator review by Anthony P.
Anthony P.

"Photoshop Killer"

What do you like best?

This inexpensive photo app for the Mac is a great alternative to Adobe Photoshop. The program contains many of the features found in the more expensive apps, simple to use, some great tools that simply get the job done. The app is very fast, saves to iCloud and exports in various formats.

What do you dislike?

Documentation limited to videos on Youtube. This is a Macintosh app but it will export to formats. The advertisement is limited. I discovered the app via a blog on the web.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A low cost alternative to the industry standard apps. Has all of the features you need to successful edit, color and manipulate photo data.

Photo editing of our project images, color correction of computer-generated images. This app is lightning fast, simple to use and has the right amount of features to do the level of photo editing and correcting that we need in the office.

Pixelmator review by Ralph G.
Ralph G.

"Pixelmator: The editor for everyone!"

What do you like best?

The graphic user interface is absolutely delightful. It's very clean, menu placement is remembered, and the workflow is seamless. This has all the makings of becoming a serious Adobe Photoshop competitor for everyone that needs to do any type of photo editing or graphic design. The tools that are available are just as good as the ones that are in Adobe Photoshop. The price point for Pixelmator is perfect and is far better than the subscription-based pricing of Adobe as well.

What do you dislike?

With Pixelmator, the tools are identical, that is, the tools that they have within the program. There are many tools lacking as well, but they are not because the program can not do them, but because they just haven't been implemented yet. I believe that they will be coming to future updates as they get the tools ironed out and streamlined into the workflow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for an alternative to Adobe Photoshop, then this is the software for you. It's easy to learn, quick to deploy, and the Pro version of the software is even better than the standard version. If the price point of an Adobe subscription is a concern, then it would be in your best interest to check this software out and put it to the test.

With Pixelmator, we were able to solve our marketing needs of graphic design elements for our marketing campaigns and client projects. This software allows us to do the majority of the work at a fraction of the cost of Adobe software. This allows us to quickly and easily reach our ROI. The software is so very streamlined and the tools so easily learned that it has quickly become the go-to software for quick and or easier jobs rather than the more complex software options out there like Adobe Photoshop.

Pixelmator review by User in Computer Software

"I have moved from Photoshop and will never look back."

What do you like best?

This application has a value proposition that is hard to pass up. I have been using Pixelmator for some time now and have been very pleased. I used to use Adobe Photoshop but have long since moved on and haven't thought of going back even once. It is highly performant because of it's all-in macOS approach and is constantly updated and never behind in supporting the latest macOS and hardware innovations from Apple.

What do you dislike?

Unlike it's competition, there is no plugin system. I would love to see a robust plugin ecosystem built around Pixelmator much the way Sketch has done. I think it is glaring issue and would provide more power to users. I also think the multi-window approach is long in the tooth. I personally like my software within a single tabbed interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The low cost and recent advancements have made Pixelmator a no brainer. However, if a plugin infrastructure is needed, then this is likely not the software for you, at least as a main workflow tool. While we find a plugin system desirable, it has not been a barrier in our workflow.

I use this software from everything from photo touchups, enhancing mockups, to final assets for digital and print. It has really helped within my workflow and performance is wonderful because of it's all-in native Mac approach. Because of this I am more productive because I am not stuck fighting the user interface or application bloat.

Pixelmator review by Daniele P.
Daniele P.

"A smart software"

What do you like best?

It's a very cheap alternative to Photoshop. It's smart, easy to use, it opens a large type of graphic files and it has a lot of option to export. I can use many filter and presets. It's enough quick and I had never a crash

What do you dislike?

I don't love the floating panels for tools and levels. There aren't many options to configure interface and I would like to have more stencil. For example i would like to make a mock up of web site or an app but I haven't the right stencil and tools

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pixemaltor is a good alternative for Photoshop, if you are not a Graphic Designer. It's simple, fast and very cheap. It is updated with regularity, and It adds everytime a new useful utility.

I am a web designe, so I have to edit a lot number of pictures and photos. I use Pixemator for this and my work is more efficent and quicker.

Pixelmator review by Aaron B.
Aaron B.

"Great Photoshop Replacement"

What do you like best?

Has all the features of Photoshop but no monthly subscription, only a one time payment. Toolbars are the same as photoshop and most of the shortcuts used are the same, so no changes in use. Plus they offer an iOS version of their app.

What do you dislike?

No PSD layer support and many PSD files do no load correctly. Font support is limited and only uses iCloud for Cloud storage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient and get used to the different windows and icons in the program. Not all Photoshop files will load correctly but most are easy to fix even when they don't load.

We are able to edit and optimize our images for website and promo usage. Add filters and change photo formats. Able to work at home on the Mac or on the go using iOS.

Pixelmator review by Chris D.
Chris D.

"Powerful, Simple, and Feature Full"

What do you like best?

I’m a big fan of the way objects work in pixelmator. Also, many of the controls feel more natural and a far better fit for my use case than Photoshop.

What do you dislike?

I do wish there was a way to export as vector images.

It’s a fantastic application at a good price for small businesses that need to be able to do some design, but aren’t interested in paying a subscription fee to basically rent their image editing software.

Pixelmator review by Geoff G.
Geoff G.

"Pixelmator as alternative lightweight raster/vector tool."

What do you like best?

Broad capabilities for image and illustration creation and editing. A clean and efficient interface allows for easy basic usage with access to more advanced capabilities not too deeply hidden. Varied export options make for good functionality.

What do you dislike?

The ability to export to vector based file formats beyond PDF would help with the ability to collaborate with others using different workflows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not need all of the immense depth of Adobe CS applications, Pixelmator is an excellent alternative for most everything that needs doing.

We use Pixelmator for some image editing, but the bulk of our usage comes in the areas of diagram, graphic, and document production. Pixelmator has given us the capability we need at a very good value.

Pixelmator review by Frank M.
Frank M.

"Great Photoshop replacement"

What do you like best?

Looking for a lightweight tool for photo finishing? Here Pixelmator is a fantastic application with a very clean interface. You've got the configurable main window and then can add different tool windows depending on your tasks. So the UI isn't too overloaded and you can work very concentrated. Beside working as stand-aöone application it also integrates into the Apple Photos application. Sadly here only with a subset of its functionality.

The tools are clear, this filters are powerful, the whole look and feel is very good. Also sharing is pretty simple.

Additionally beside the Mac it's available on iPad and iPhone and the applications can sync their images.

What do you dislike?

The toolbox, filters, brushes etc. are in floating windows. I would like them to snap in a kind of extra frame on the right side of the main window.

When opening a JPG or PNG and wanting to save it the application wants to do this in it's own format. That's okay when wanting to continue editing later, because this format is no simple compressed image format. But when wanting to save it again as JPG or PNG you have to choose the export menu and their explicit the image format. Here an additional menu entry would help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's extreme cheap, so don't do anything wrong. Simply try it.

I'm only doing private photographing with my Fujifilm X-T1. Here Pixelmator is my tool for photo finishing. It helps me to make the best out of my shots.

Pixelmator review by Goncalo M.
Goncalo M.

"Perfect for most users"

What do you like best?

Pixelmator's version 2.0 has brought amazing new features, new UI and blazing performance. Of course it's not Adobe's Photoshop or Affinity Designer but it's main features are great and more than enough for most users: Layers, Masks, Stamp tool, Text tool, Filters, etc... One of the best features is the iOS app that allows you to do photo editing on the go. Also, Pixelmator has extensions for Apple's Photos which allow you for some quick editing on your Photo's library.

What do you dislike?

The feature that I missed the most on Pixelmator is Action. Not only you can't create Pixelmatr action nor you can import your old Photoshop action.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you 're looking for an photo editing app for both MacOS and iOS, than Pixelmator is your app. It provides fast and ease of use on both platforms and can be integrated with Apple's Photos through extensions.

I used this app a lot on my iPad, specially on briefing meetings or when I am working with the Photography department at the company I work in. I can quickly make fast photo editing to provide and initial idea with little effort an set a mood an feels for the rest of the campaign.

Pixelmator review by Sandro M.
Sandro M.

"Best Alternative to Photoshop for Mac "

What do you like best?

I am a long time graphic, app and web designer. I learned how to design using Adobe Photoshop 7 (before there was such as thing as Creative Suite, much less Creative Cloud). So I’ve seen a lot of changes come to Photoshop over the years. I’ve also been on the lookout for a cheaper alternative.

I quickly learned that that cheaper alternative was NOT Gimp. Give me a break. I mean, just look at the website. A designer can’t use a poorly-designed interface. Plus, Gimp has plenty of limitations. I don’t even like talking about it, honestly.

For years I assumed there was no competitor that could ever crop up and effectively takedown the monster Adobe has built. Aviary was no real competitor—it was built on Adobe products. Web-based photo editing tools just can’t cut it yet. I mean Pixlr is fine for people who want to edit Facebook photos I guess, but not for a real designer—at least not for me (not yet).

But I recently tried a Mac app called Pixelmator that is an honest-to-goodness Photoshop alternative that costs just $29.99—once. Photoshop, on the other hand, costs $49.99 PER MONTH for the full version.

The first thing I tested was the paint selection tool. OH YA. I immediately liked it better than the photoshop equivalent. It’s fast, highly accurate and uses nearly identical keyboard shortcuts for painting/unpainting selections. Brilliant.

Well, as long as I had something selected I thought I’d try giving it a fill. Again, similar keyboard shortcuts (holding option or command + delete). Plus, it’s easy to fill with a gradient. Cool.

Next, I decided to try the repair tool (similar to the heal function in Photoshop). Wow. Works awesome. So far, Pixelmator is performing as good or better than Photoshop in each of these categories.

Clone stamp? Check. Works like a charm.

Whoa—what’s this? A “magic” eraser. What does this do… Oh, wow. It’s like the paint selection tool except it literally erases the selection in realtime. I love it!

Okay, so all of Photoshops basic functions are covered and even improved on. So far so good.

That brings me to the effects browser. The effects you’ll find in Pixelmator are like the old Photoshop effects crossbred with Instagram-style filters—and they rock. Rather than display a drop-down list of effects from a menu, instead there is a panel with preview images that change to show you how effects will behave when you mouse over them.

There are so many effects I love I’m not sure where to start. First off, there’s an auto-enhance. Goodbye auto-levels and curves. Miniaturize will apply a tilt-shift blurring effect. The replace color effect is so brilliant I can’t even describe it. Adding a halftone no longer requires a multi-page tutorial—just click, adjust and you’re done. There’s even an ASCII filter that will turn your image into text—and fast. I seriously can’t gush enough about all the amazing, time-saving effects in Pixelmator. It would take a Photoshop user hours to get the same results manually in many cases.

Let me finish up by adding that I love the Pixelmator interface. A lot of thought and care went into building it that needs to be properly appreciated. Aside from merely looking nice, there are UX enhancement’s that make using the app better. It’s the little stuff, like, for instance, when you select a tool it sort of jumps and increases in size in the menu so you know, without a doubt, what tool you have selected. Many of the effects menus have custom options that make them a breeze to use.

What do you dislike?

Has no single window interface with tabs for open documents.

Overall, Pixelmator is one of those apps I can’t recommend enough. And that’s coming from a designer who has used Photoshop for years. Unless you’re 90 or a true to life professional photographer who needs some really niche functionality, you should buy Pixelmator without hesitation.

Pixelmator review by User

"PIxelmator was the solution for my photos"

What do you like best?

Pixelmator has a very gentle learning curve. When I first started using Photoshop I was immediately overwhelmed and felt like I would never learn how this program worked. With Pixelmator there is a lot of functionality there but it is a lot more intuitive to use.

What do you dislike?

It's not quiet as technical as Photoshop or illustrator but it does the job for 98% of what i need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great application for photo editing if you are looking for something that doesn't require the technicality of Photoshop.

Pixelmator quickly touches up photos for media use. It's easy to erase backgrounds or just make a picture pop a little more.

Pixelmator review by Jonathan T.
Jonathan T.

"A Little Short, But Good at What It Does"

What do you like best?

I LOVE the Touch Bar integration, especially the transform slider.

What do you dislike?

I came from Photoshop, so I'm missing some features like my libraries and support for plug-ins, my keyboard shortcuts, layer style presets, ligatures, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before buying, download a trial from pixelmator's website. If you'd like to buy and don't need it right away, it goes on sale for 50% off from time to time on the Mac App Store.

I need to edit photos and create graphics for web and social media. Pixelmator does a great job most of the time.

Pixelmator review by Nicholas G.
Nicholas G.

"My go-to application for production photo editing. "

What do you like best?

Retouching, handling type, and layers are all top shelf. I'm not a pixel pro, by any means, by I need to produce images here and there, and Pixelmator does the job.

What do you dislike?

I likely only use about 30% of the software. Like any complex system, the more you know, the more you can do — it might be useful to have better onboarding systems for new users. But frankly if you're already an expert with Photoshop, there's nothing unusual or surprising here.

I've reached maximum fatigue with Adobe's pricing structure. Pixelmator allows me, at an extremely reasonable cost, to handle the few images a month I need to manipulate.

Pixelmator review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Better than Photoshop (and easier to use)"

What do you like best?

While photoshop has become synonymous with image editing, I had always found the UI to be unintuitive. Pixelmator fills this need for me and makes it easy to edit images quickly--which makes my life easier.

Pixelmator does everything that I need it to do much better than the Mac-developed Preview can or Photoshop. It's a great tool for a designer looking for a more economical alternative to Adobe but who doesn't want to sacrifice capability at the same time.

What do you dislike?

It is much harder to find resources for pixelmator (ie project templates, add-ons, etc.) than it is for other graphic design programs. As more and more designers switch from Photoshop to PIxelmator, this seems like something that is easily solvable.

I am proficient with Pixelmator but I do feel that have significant room to improve my skills. It's hard for me to find fault in the program when it may just be my skillset.

I use pixelmator for image resizing and retouching. It's great for scaling images and resampling. Pixelmator is most often used as a hand-off tool, meaning that an edit is made in pixelmator for an element that we are including in another project or even website.

Pixelmator review by Martin R.
Martin R.

"Affordable Very Viable Alternative to PhotoShop"

What do you like best?

I was introduced to Pixelmator in a MacWorld article and thought it was worth a try. I had had Photoshop in the past, but, when it came time to pay more, again, for another upgrade, I balked and tried Pixelmator. I've been very happy with the switch. It contains all the functions I would ever use, and then some, so no need for the expensive alternatives. Pixelmator will do just fine, thank you.

What do you dislike?

The menus are dark and some of the icons are not as intuitive as they might be. I guess what I'm saying is that the overall design of the user interface needs a bit of help. The functions are there, it just doesn't feel like a Mac product so much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a very heavy Photoshop user, make sure that Pixelmator will do everything you need it to do. While it does everything we need it for, my sense is that Pixelmator may not have ALL of the functions of Photoshop. So make sure to run it through the processes you use before making the final commitment.

We are not a major design shop. We're a consulting firm that needs to manipulate the occasional image, create some new design, or just generally work with images. Pixelmator is our go-to application for that. The price was very, very reasonable and it does everything we need it to do and more.

Pixelmator review by User

"Lacking some critical features for photojournalists."

What do you like best?

The price of Pixelmator is great compared to something like the Adobe suite. Having an app built specifically for MacOS is nice too.

What do you dislike?

Lack of IPTC support for embedded information for the images is a deal-killer for use in a professional photography setting. It's critical to be able to embed information about the image. Also the File Save workflow is frustrating since it drops the Save/Save As feature we've all been used to in favor of Apple's design of save before creating mentality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would not recommend Pixelmator for professional photography work. It's no Photoshop.

Being able to edit images quickly and a good return on investment in software.

Pixelmator review by Bryan P.
Bryan P.

"Best Photoshop alternative on Mac OS X"

What do you like best?

It does absolutely everything I used in Photoshop (Creative Suite 3) and costs a fraction of the price. Not to mention Pixelmator doesn't require a lot your computer's resources. Plus, I really like how it uses a ton of core OS X technologies, which really makes it the quickest way to edit, retouch and manipulate images on a Mac.

What do you dislike?

Some of the keyboard shortcuts were different (when I switched from Photoshop) but after a few weeks, I finally got used to using Pixelmator's keyboard layout. Aside from that the app works really well and we use it every day. It'd be nice to have some more filters and preset shapes but overall no complaints here.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check the list of features on their website. It does everything I need it to do but I'm not a graphic designer. It might not be robust enough for an professional designer in an office environment but at home or a freelance agent might get the most out of a tool like Pixelmator.

Quickly create graphics for social media and retouch pictures. It did not require the business a lot of administrative time to have the program up and running. We've realised that with a tool like Pixelmator we were able to spend more time creating content than being troubled with updates, incompatible plugs and long load times. This app pretty much opens up in a few seconds, even on older macs.

Pixelmator review by Harry K.
Harry K.

"Great and cheap Photoshop alternative"

What do you like best?

Friendly and familiar UI. Almost Photoshop-like.

Pixelmator is a tool for image editing and graphics compositing - in addition to image enhancement you can use them to overlay and combine images into one, to add graphics and text, to turn photographs into graphics and make them look like fake line drawings or paintings.

If you have Pixelmator for mac and want to work with image editing on the iPad I think Pixelmator for iPad is a must especially if you want to switch back and forth between Pixelmator on the Mac and the iPad. Because of iCloud you can easily continue working on your project whether it is on the iPad or on the Mac. Your project will be synced all te time. You can't do this with another app for iPad, unless you also have the mac version of this particular app.

What do you dislike?

Pixelmator does not help to tag and archive your photo

It doesn't support RAW images.

There was an incompatibility with OS X El Capitan and it made me think that my trackpad was broken. Fortunately it was just a bug.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Considering purchasing Pixelmator if you want to do some very decent and high quality work, but don't have enough budget for Photoshop.

Great for people who do not want spend much or prefer a one-time fee over a monthly subscription and still wish to make some high quality work.

Pixelmator review by Hannah E.
Hannah E.

"adobe for dummy's"

What do you like best?

how simple the UX is to use and how you can put any .psd file into the software and edit it.

What do you dislike?

It can freeze if too much is going on - make sure save.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is an updated version which is even better and has fixed the bugs in the older version

editing media for social channels

Pixelmator review by Tim O.
Tim O.

"General use for photo touch up and layout of images and creation of icons"

What do you like best?

Pixelmator is a cheap alternative to a professional photo editor such as Photoshop. Granted, I do not know what Photoshop can do that Pixelmator cannot, because Pixelmator does all I need and far far more. There are several great and helpful videos on their website, and you can learn to do some simple yet rewarding tasks – such as removing that annoying person in the background of an otherwise amazing photo.

What do you dislike?

This is a bit nit-picky, as I would generally consider the application to be cheap, but compared with a free alternative like GIMP, the $30 I paid for it seems pricey. That said, I think it's well worth the money, and visually is much cleaner than the free alternatives. I would like for the iOS app to come with the purchase in the Mac App store, but I don't really know any other apps that do that either.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pixelmator offers a free 30 day trial, so there's really no reason not to try it if you think it could be useful. Development on the software seems quite active – there's already an update for Mac OS X El Capitan, with Photos integration and support for split view. Since the application is sold through the Mac App store (and iOS too), I only needed to purchase it once for both my wife and I to be able to use it.

I usually use Pixelmator for personal use retouching photos, but I also often use it for academic purposes as well. I find it makes adding simple frames and descriptions to otherwise plain photos a very simple task, and makes the final product look very professional.

Pixelmator review by Fred A.
Fred A.

"Pixelmator, perfect tool for non professional designers"

What do you like best?

The ease of use, and the fact that it has all the main functionalities that I need. I would not need Photoshop, and that's the reason I bought Pixelmator.

What do you dislike?

On the latest version, you can't access Aperture directly anymore, where I still have all my pictures, because it is more professional than the recent Photos. I have to import the picture, as they don't appear in the pictures panel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need basic graphic functions, though pretty complete already, Pixelmator is a tool for you.

Mainly resizing pictures for web use, or for printed or PDF documents. I can easily do it with Pixelmator.

Pixelmator review by Sara B.
Sara B.

"A new design tool I can get onboard with"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use. Unlike photoshop and other products, this one is easy and to the point, so you don't need to spend hours watching videos just to learn how to make a simple image.

What do you dislike?

I am currently using the 30 day trial, so I guess right now I would dislike the fact that I eventually have to purchase the tool. So lets hope it isn't too much money!

I am utilizing this software to easily create images for Ads, blogs, etc. It allows me to get crisp images without having to worry about bothering a designer or hiring one since we don't have one in-house.

Pixelmator review by Jared S.
Jared S.

"Photoshop Competition Done Right!"

What do you like best?

Perfect tool for the basic photoshop jobs. While it doesn't have all the crazy fancy tooling, it can do most things an intermediate level designer will need from Photoshop. The price is amazing, the support and updates are too! I install this every time, never install Photoshop until I REALLY need it!

What do you dislike?

The interface can be odd with multiple displays, when opening the app some tools don't open or show up on the wrong display. Some of the filtering and layer options could use some improvement - there was no simple stroke option last I checked. Lots of that can be done with more work, but would be nice to have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pixelmator is a wonderful tool! Many of our artists use it over Photoshop. For the price, it is well worth it to edit a couple photos or do some comp work. Imports most standard PSDs, without the super tricky tooling in them. It boots fast and get the basic jobs done with ease.

Quick comps, exports, and web-compression were so painful on the MacBook Air, but now with how light Pixelmator is, I use it for so much more. Initially it was a budget/on-the-go replacement for Photoshop, now it is all I use!

Pixelmator review by Chris B.
Chris B.

"Awesome photo editing option for web developers (with limitations)"

What do you like best?

Pixelmators price for its power is awesome, it can't be beat. If you are a light user and just need something to manipulate photos this is a great tool. It was designed for the mac and feels great running on my (somewhat underpowered) mac air.

What do you dislike?

While it supports photoshop files it doesn't really handle complicated or large PSD's very well. So if you are working with a serious designer who is sending you files it might not be the best option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great if you don't need tight photoshop integration.

I use pixelmator to crop images, save for web and other website image manipulation that I need for web development.

Pixelmator review by Debbie G.
Debbie G.

"Pixelmator is a great alternative to Photoshop"

What do you like best?

I like that Pixelmator is so easy to use and has a lot of the same features as Photoshop. It has great video tutorials (both on its website as well as from users) that provides step-by-step instructions for a number of different features. Pixelmator gives you a lot of control over your final project and pretty much everything you need to know is easily accessed (Help or YouTube).

What do you dislike?

It would be great if users had more flexibility to adjust the spacing between characters when you insert text. This is especially important when you're creating a word poster and you want all the text to fit into, let's say, a box. If you want to mix font styles and size, you have limited ways to adjust the text spacing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pixelmator is great for those times you want to create an eye-popping word poster for uploading to social media. Pixelmator allows you to create beautiful posters where you can use all kinds of filters and it uses the font collection you have on your desktop, This allows you even more creativity when you have access to different kinds of fonts.

Using images for presentations, especially as slide background. The benefit is that I can customize the size of the image in Pixelmator and when I bring it over to PowerPoint as a slide background it pops it in there and I don't have to adjust the size!

Pixelmator review by User in Higher Education

"Zero to a Billion in 60 Seconds"

What do you like best?

I have zero experience in graphic design, and therefore, I had never used graphic design software. I've only been using Pixelmator for a a short time, and I'm still learning. However, I find it fairly intuitive and a lot of fun!

What do you dislike?

I have better luck with trial and error than with finding solutions and answers to questions online.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Adobe products are far too expensive ($50/month) for someone just trying to learn graphic design. Yet, I don't think that Pixelmator can replace the Adobe Suite. If I'm really serious about doing this kind of work, I still need to subscribe to the Adobe Cloud stuff. Therefore, there's really not a great incentive for me to also buy Pixelmator.

I've started to design T-shirts and other products that I'm attempting to sell online.

Pixelmator review by User in Media Production
User in Media Production

"Pixelmator Review"

What do you like best?

I like Pixelmator's ability to stand up to Photoshop

What do you dislike?

I dislike the window space management system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pixelmator is a wonderful tool that I stumbled upon by accident and ended up saving me a ton of money and hours in editing my photos. From the beginning I've always been a big fan of Adobe products and would use a combination of Adobe Lightroom and Adobe photoshop to edit my photos. I have found however, that Pixelmator helps me get through my workflow in just one program. It is amazing how well pixelmator can handle and edit the attributes of my photos. Let us not forget to mention the amazing capabilities it has in the graphic design front. Whenever I need to make a poster I go for Pixelmator. The price is amazing and the efficiency it brings is well worth the price. The support page available to users is also very, very helpful. I have referenced their site many times in order to learn how to edit a photo a specific way.

I'm solving the issue of a pricy fix to photos.

Pixelmator review by Kevin T.
Kevin T.

"Great Price Point!"

What do you like best?

For the price point, Pixelmator offers a fairly powerful tool for those interested in simple photo enhancements. It offers a variety of different tools that take it one step past just adjusting color and exposure. You can touch up photos, sharpen, and even use layers.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately working with vector art is not a feature in Pixelmator, which would be a really fantastic edition to this simple, easy to use app. However, with that said at the very cheap price point it does offer more features than you think it would, which is why I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Some people have no need to work in vector art, but maybe it could be a $10 edition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a powerful tool for prosumer tasks I think Pixelmator would work well for you. If you have access to Photoshop then I would recommend using (learning if need be) that.

I mostly have used Pixelmator for work related tasks. Sometimes generating simple images in photoshop just isn't worth the workflow, etc. so we just use Pixelmator to create thumbnails and similar image types. It definitely isn't a full force editing software but it does come in handy from time to time.

Pixelmator review by Brian S.
Brian S.

"So much better and affordable than Photoshop"

What do you like best?

The price. How can you beat it. It's magnitudes cheaper than Adobe Photoshop and basically does everything PS does. It's extremely easy to use as well.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. There's nothing I don't like about Pixelmatr, I use it on a daily basis and it suits all my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have a free trial version on their site, but the cost is so low in the Mac App Store, you should just buy it and try it. There are many websites that have video tutorials, including Pixelmator's, you should check them out.

A photo editing software that someone who isn't a graphic designer can use with ease and not a lot of searching/training.

Pixelmator review by Lindsay Q.
Lindsay Q.

"Great for the beginner and the cost is perfect"

What do you like best?

It is very similar to photoshop however, a fraction of the cost! Can't beat it

What do you dislike?

You can't open eps files, which sometimes is difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can google how to do things very easily, and watch tutorials. It is really simple to use for only like $14

I can edit and create anything i need for my company without having to spend a fortune on Adobe Suite

Pixelmator review by Anatoly G.
Anatoly G.

"great photo / image editor for those of us who don't need (or can't afford) Photoshop"

What do you like best?

great UX, easy to use and powerful. For basic photo editing (and even more advanced stuff), creating graphics for the web, updating existing images, Pixelmator is great.

What do you dislike?

photoshop compatibility is lacking, some tools aren't same as in photoshop, so going between tools not as easy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

try it out, it's great, easy to use. Available as a demo from their website.

we needed simple image editing and didn't need the full power of Photoshop (and didn't want to pay for a CC license)

Pixelmator review by Chris C.
Chris C.

"Great budget resource"

What do you like best?

A great alternative to higher-priced graphics software.

What do you dislike?

Not quite as full-featured as some other software. Some things don't look quite as clean designed in Pixelmator.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, but understand that there is a learning curve. Also, you may have to use workarounds or other software to fill in some gaps.

We have been able to get around monthly fees and costly graphic designers. We can do all of our design in-house.

Pixelmator review by User in Internet

"A great multi device imaging solution"

What do you like best?

The ability to pick up and continue work between the desktop app and iOS

What do you dislike?

Some of the features a lacking in control. Various filters don't have a clear way to steer and adjust.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not a complete Photoshop replacement but still a powerful piece of software. There are more robust alternatives to photoshop, but I still find plenty of value independently from those

Quick image editing when a more robust system is needed. It's great to work on the go no matter what device I'm on

Pixelmator review by User

"I like this product very much and have been using it for 5 years! "

What do you like best?

There are so many things I like about Pixelmator. It is very user friendly and easy to use. I specifically love the layering effect tool and retouch tool very much.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I dislike but I wished there were more stylizing/effect options like the ones in Photoshop and Illustrator.

It is very fast to work with since all the tools are very comprehensible and clear as to how they work. It saves me a lot of time with a great outcome.

Pixelmator review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"Great Alternative to Photoshop"

What do you like best?

Pretty easy to use/figure out. Also, they have super helpful tutorials on their website.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I can't really think of anything I don't like! Great product!

Graphic design. I'm a pastor and create graphics for our church using this. Works awesome.

Pixelmator review by User

"Excellent alternative to Photoshop"

What do you like best?

Powerful imaging engine, includes all the Photoshop functions I need, layers, magic wand tools, and more. Also the price. Did I mention the price?

What do you dislike?

I can't really think of anything that I dislike. I suppose one could say that the software being designed only for the Mac ecosystem is a limitation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend Pixelmator.

I use Pixelmator for graphic design, to create postcards and other media-based material.

Pixelmator review by User in Public Safety
User in Public Safety

"Great design application "

What do you like best?

The ability to export in many different formats and quickly use shapes to design app icons.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had more options for drawing, making it a well-rounded application.

No business problems solved.

Pixelmator review by Stefan B.
Stefan B.

"Cheap Mac-only image editing - might replace your need for Photoshop"

What do you like best?

For a very small price ($29,99 but occasionally less with promotions), you have a very complete, Mac-only image editor. It is not Photoshop, but comes pretty far for most day-to-day editing tasks.

The interface is black and glossy and appeals to the Mac interface, although more on the level of consumer apps.

The GUI is well-thought out and does the work very efficiently.

There are several filters and image tweaking functionality. Selection tools are adequate and reliable.

There is even a context-aware heal tool, that can easily remove unwanted parts from images.

Text-editing is fine, but not stellar.

There is even an integrated Vector-path editing mode if you active the "Vectormator" hidden shortcut. But, alas, that does not allow vector-export. Paths and shapes stay vectors in the native PXM format, though.

What do you dislike?

It is not a full Photoshop replacement, but can do most major image editing tasks.

Most effects applied on layers are final. You can not tweak them afterwards.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want Photoshop, but cannot afford the price, you have to decide if you need it after all. Pixelmator is cheap and very capable. It is not a full replacement for professional usage in pre-press, DTP or corporate environments.

Instead of updating to Creative Cloud, I decided to stick with Adobe CS4 and try to do as much as possible with iDraw (reviewed elsewhere) and Pixelmator. So far, I'm very pleased, as image editing is fast, straight-forward, with enough power and control for good results.

Pixelmator review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Most affordable graphic design app"

What do you like best?

It is a fully fledged graphic design application that is amazingly affordable

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't think of a single thing that I dislike about this application.

I think it is amazing that you can export into other formats that are compatible with Adobe and other apps.

Pixelmator review by User in Internet

"really really good software!"

What do you like best?

Love this particular software the best because its easy to use, multifunctional, and its like alternative option to photoshop.

I really like how simple it is to create graphics and web designs.

The color and templates are also easy to use!

What do you dislike?

There is actually nothing in particular that I dislike!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this software to others!

Pretty much just design problems. where to place things!

Pixelmator review by User in Internet

"For a Nice Mac Photo and Vector Editor Try Pixelmator "

What do you like best?

What I like best about Pixelmator is that it is both a photo and vector editor.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the interface is too minimal.

When working on a photo that needs type and illustrations, I do not need to switch to another application.

Pixelmator review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Pixelmator Review "

What do you like best?

I like that it's easy for me to navigate. There are still so many things I need to learn but it's worth it!

What do you dislike?

I feel that there isn't really anything to dislike

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it

Trying to find a better way to market. There are so many benefits to being a designer and I realized the possibilities are endless.

Pixelmator review by User in Higher Education

"Inexpensive editing solution"

What do you like best?

Fast to load, dependable, incredibly helpful for purposes of blog image editing.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally closes abruptly, not as robust as costly alternatives.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be aware that it's inexpensive and thus less robust.

Inexpensive software that I can use with confidence, especially when used in conjunction with Screenshoter for Firefox.

Learning about Pixelmator?

* We monitor all Pixelmator reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.