Pixelmator

Full featured image editor for Mac.

Work for Pixelmator?

Learning about Pixelmator?

Pixelmator Reviews

Showing 47 Pixelmator reviews
Pixelmator review by <span>Nischal Srinivas R.</span>
Nischal Srinivas R.

Pixelmator - Awesome tool for both beginners and professionals

What do you like best?

Pixelmator is very easy to get started, if you are familiar with MS Paint you will feel at home with Pixelmator, apart from the ease of use it also includes a plethora of features. It is not intimidating like Photoshop for beginners. I specifically use this tools to create small mockups, editing graphics assets etc.

What do you dislike?

So far its been fun to use Pixelmator, and I have not found any annoying problems as such. Since I mostly use this tool to create mockups, most of the features required for this task are really simple to use and straightforward, so i have not come across major shortcomings.

Though I have a mac and use this software on my Mac, it would be great if they can add windows support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would really recommend Pixelmator to every beginner whose is just getting started with image editing software, but is not really need a full professional image editing software.

This will be less intimidating for beginners and will help you get started really fast.

I use Pixelmator to prototype and create Mockups when experimenting with a business idea. I also use this tool to edit and make small modifications to game assets that I use in my mobile game development.

The main benefit I have realized is the ease of use and its simplicity, I could get most of the work done without having to go through a steep learning curve that most of the editing softwares are needed.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Pixelmator
Pixelmator review by <span>Noah S.</span>
Noah S.

The best graphic design software available alongside adobe photoshop (IMHO)

What do you like best?

Ease of use. It is intuitive and has a user-freindly user interface. When I started using Pixelmator years ago I can recall picking it up very quickly and feeling comfortable with the software much faster than when learning Photoshop.

Also, if I start a design in Pixelmator and need to work on it in Photoshop later, I can just export as a PSD. I find that most layers tend to convert exactly, but not 100% of everything. Still a great feature.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to snap my various tools, layers, and effects windows into a grid/snap with the project window. Photoshop is setup this way where everyitng can be drag + drop locked to it's own spot. Pixelmator has all your tools, layers, effects windows free to move at all times. This is handy, but I would like the feature to snap them in to the edges sometimes also.

It could use continuous improvement to all features and adding additional tools. Improvement could be made to PSD export to be very precise when it comes into photoshop without loosing any effects or changing any layer types if absolutely possible

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this as an excellent tool to add to any graphic designer/web designer's toolkit. It can be very good for quick design tasks and image edits/processing and modifications as are numerous in website/wordpress and less-complex graphic design projects. It is a great multipurpose design tool that I find I am able to work in quicker and easer than any other design softwares without having too many extra features in my way to clutter workflow.

Excellent for efficient and speedy graphic and website design. Especially great for website design. Print design it is limited. Adobe Indesign tends to be my go to for print design formatting prior to print, but Pixelmator is my best tool for whipping up designs quickly with a very intuitive interface. A lot faster for me than Photoshop.

What Other Design solution do you use?

Pixelmator review by <span>Raimo K.</span>
Raimo K.

Great Photoshop Alternative

What do you like best?

Has all the necessary tools for 99% of the tasks I need for photo manipulation. Also not a subscription, buy once, use it forever! I use Pixelmator mainly to crop photos, make small fixes and repairs, and resize them for websites. Does a really good job, very quickly!

What do you dislike?

Text tools are weak, not as easy to manipulate as it is in other apps. To "wrap" text, it must be converted into pixels first, before you can manipulate the curves. Can't handle SVG's either, not a big deal for my use, but may be in the future,

Recommendations to others considering the product

The new "Pixelmator Pro" is out! that is where I will be going next!

I needed a photo editor to prep client assets for website use. I used to use Photoshop, but the "subscription model" turned me off, as my needs are fairly basic, and all the photoshop layers and tools are overkill most of the time. Pixelmator has been perfect, has great support, and for the last few years, an app I use constantly when adding images to websites.

Pixelmator review by <span>Andra V.</span>
Andra V.

easy Graphic design for someone who isn't a graphic designer

What do you like best?

I love how intuitive and easy Pixelmator is to use. I can create quality graphics for visual aids for my classes quickly and easily. I know exactly what each tool does because the buttons are intuitive and I don't have to look through the help section to complete simple tasks. I love how easy it is to manipulate layers to group, order, rename, and organize. This is important to me as I need to work efficiently and often use the same image with minor adjustments such as coloring.

What do you dislike?

There's very little about Pixelmator that I dislike. I am very pleased with the program as I have become familiar with it and use it often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be intimidated if you had difficulties in other graphic programs. Pixelmator is so easy to use. I cannot draw on paper but I have made some great artwork in this program and proved to myself that I am capable of creating my own art and do not have to purchase other peoples art.

I am able to quickly complete tasks that make lesson planning and preparation simple and efficient. I create images that are flattened to be used in other presentation programs on multiple computers and devices and it looks great no matter where I am or what Device I am on. I have realized that I don't need to spend money purchasing other people's clipart when I can easily create my own and make it specialized and personalized for my purposes.

Pixelmator review by <span>Victor P.</span>
Victor P.

A serviceable Photoshop workalike

What do you like best?

Despite using Photoshop over the years, I never really mastered its more advanced features, and when Adobe switched to a subscription-only model for Adobe CC, I decided it was time to find a replacement. I tried several and settled on Pixelmator for its modest price, feature set, and ease of use. My favourite feature is its smart healing brush, which can quickly repair blemishes with one stroke. For quick image editing and retouching, I find it more approachable than Photoshop. Pixelmator's layers features may not be as complete, but for my needs, and I suspect for many other photographers, it's more than adequate. If you find Pixelmator too limiting, now there's an even more capable version: Pixelmator Pro.

What do you dislike?

I wish Pixelmator was even easier to use, because nowadays it seems there's less time available to learn any new software features–the app economy has reset expectations for how quickly we should discover and apply tools for specific uses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you crave the power of Photoshop and are willing to invest the time in learning its many different tools, try a simpler, less feature-laden program such as Pixelmator. You may find it adequate for your needs, and what's more, it's free of the onerous subscription fee Adobe charges you each month.

I typically use Pixelmator to make simple composites for online video cover images, and to perform minor retouching on people photos.

Pixelmator review by <span>Mike K.</span>
Mike K.

Professional Quality using a Basic Program

What do you like best?

Pixelmator is a good photo editor and printing app that offers great quality edition options that could pass off as something done through photoshop. Pixelmator's interface is simple enough for even the least tech savvy person, which will take little time for them to learn and more time to get to the good stuff. The filter choices are incredible, and it has turned some of my photos into something I am genuinely impressed by. I also enjoy that Pixelmator has apps compatible with all of my devices allowing me to do basic editing without having to carry my laptop.

What do you dislike?

Pixelmator is only recommended for basic photo editing. If you plan on using it beyond basic editing, it will be more of a headache to use than using Adobe because you will find out that there is more restrictions in terms of file compatibility, and editing capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out this App to see if it will meet your needs before trying out more expensive alternatives (Ex. Adobe)

On-the-go Photo editing. This program is good for a person on the go looking to do some basic editing for social media channel or basic publicity content.

Learning about Pixelmator?

* We monitor all Pixelmator reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.