Telltale explains how Plastic SCM compares to other version controls considering game development specific needs.
Version control is the operating system of software development. It can solve problems efficiently and silently, or it can create more.
Plastic SCM is a distributed version control, but can work centralized too. It is excellent with branching and merging, can deal with huge projects and big binary assets natively, and it comes with GUIs and tools to make everything simpler.
Plastic solves problems.
– Versatility: Plastic SCM can work in a centralized and/or distributed way. Such flexibility is unmatched by any other VCS.
– Visual: Plastic SCM provides a Branch explorer to control your projects in a simple, easy-to-understand visual interface.
– Game Devs and Artists: it handles neatly big binaries. We also provide a separate GUI for artists and designers to abstract them from the complexity of version control, we call it Gluon.
– DevOps: We have done so with Merge Bots: automated merge funtionality that allows our clients to build a modern day DevOps pipeline.
– Semantic diff and merge: Diffs and merges can promptly be assesed in a visual way with our diff and merge functionality.