Podio is a team-oriented project management solution.
Each team/project has its own highly customizable "space".
Each of them, when created, features "out of the box" a Facebook-like news stream, a calendar, a file repository, and a tasklist. Then, users can add custom calendars, taskslists and special "apps" that are fully customizable databases with tons of available views and options.
A complete and well-organized App marketplace is always updated and available to download and try new apps for the team.
There are some things that really hurt expecially in complex organizations/teams:
- File upload size limit is 200mb, which is ridicolous. Have you got a PSD with multiple levels to share with your team? A video? Well you can't upload it. So you should put it on Dropbox, or Google Drive, and then link it, and then mantain multiple repositories.... seriously guys, this is not acceptable.
- Sharing things with external users (such as clients, suppliers, that means "people not belonging to the main organization") is a pain. They can be invited into a spaces, but once they join they can see everything and it is not possible at all to SELECTIVELY share some files, for example. They see everything, or nothing.
- You cannot transfer items (files, informations...) between apps.
- User interface is not so easy to understand, expecially when there are many apps installed into a space
- Ok there is a tasklist, but using it is tricky
- No project gantt at all
Finally, Podio is a little bit pricey compared to other solutions.
Finally, Podio is a little bit pricey if compared to other solutions.
Podio is a good solution for teams who like to have a single place to discuss and share things for their project. Apps allow to organize information in a structured way with many options.
But all that glitters ain't gold, some features are a pain (file upload size limit for example) so depending on what your team needs, there might be better alternatives.