PowerSchool Student Information System

PowerSchool Student Information System

PowerSchool provides the full range of features needed by administrators at the district and school level in addition to portals for teachers, parents, and students.

Work for PowerSchool Student Information System?

Learning about PowerSchool Student Information System?

PowerSchool Student Information System Reviews

Ask PowerSchool Student Information System a Question
Showing 261 PowerSchool Student Information System reviews
PowerSchool Student Information System review by <span>Steve B.</span>
Steve B.

PowerSchool SIS

What do you like best?

I like how everything in integrated. Having the teacher gradebook and the parent access integrated within the SIS is wonderful. The web solution has been one of the most rewarding parts. We no longer have to have it as a local software. Having our state reporting as a part of the software is also a wonderful solution. PowerSchool's state reporting team stay abreast of all the required state mandates and they keep the software up to date regularly. The upgrade and maintenance releases also has been solid. If there is a bug in a software release, their team is right on it and get a fix out fairly quickly! They have a very aggressive support team that works aggressively whenever you have a problem or need assistance in working in the software. I really like the opportunity for training yearly that PowerSchool puts on called PowerSchool University. We have the opportunity to work hand in had with the support team, developers and the training team. The training is wonderful!

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider getting some training on sql. It is not necessary but is helpful for using a developer software to plug into for difficult querries.

It provides a well round view of a student's performance. Having a longitudinal look at the data is very beneficial.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about PowerSchool Student Information System
PowerSchool Student Information System review by <span>Robyn B.</span>
Robyn B.

Our school would not function without PowerSchool.

What do you like best?

PowerSchool allows our staff to input academic and behavioral data for our students, and these updates can be viewed by all, including parents, in real time. As the school social worker, I review this data during sessions with my students, and it's helpful to see their most updated grades and most recent behavioral infractions. PowerSchool allows me to be responsive to my students' day-to-day behavior, which at middle school, is always in a state of flux.

What do you dislike?

PowerSchool has the potential to be a great tool for the parents of our students. When working with our students, we do not work in a vacuum, and the alignment between home and school is a key leverage. On PowerSchool, each student is given an individual key that a parent can use to create their own PowerSchool account. In order to protect the privacy of this account, we, as a school, rightfully do not have access to a parent's login and password information once an account is created. Unfortunately, once a parent loses their login information, we have to point them to a third-party to recover their information, which is oftentimes cumbersome and confusing. If there was a way that a parent could easily reset their password, and there was a way we as a staff could facilitate the reset, that would be helpful. Many of our parents do not have access to a computer at home, and access PowerSchool on their phones, and many staff use their work laptops to help parents set up an account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like all software, training new staff on how to use PowerSchool takes time. Fortunately, when inputting log entries, all staff can create, edit, or delete an entry. This flexible feature is important, especially when needing to correct student data quickly.

Using the data inputted by all my colleagues who work with a student, we are allowed to easily glean academic and behavioral trends from the aggregate on PowerSchool. As a social worker, this allows me to identify areas of intervention. With the high number of students with whom I work, PowerSchool is invaluable.

What K-12 Student Information Systems solution do you use?

PowerSchool Student Information System review by <span>Matthew G.</span>
Matthew G.

Relatively easy to use, but lacks many features

What do you like best?

I like how the program is relatively easy to use. The iPhone app also is extremely convenient to check attendance or look at a class roster when my computer is being used or unavailable. Printing progress reports for students is also an easy task to complete

What do you dislike?

The system we are currently using lacks many of the main important features. We cannot log detentions or parent contact via powerschool. These things would be extremely helpful. The interface could also be a little more user friendly. Making a new seating chart or trying to print in a normal-sized window does not always prove to be easy.

The program is utilized on a daily basis for procedural tasks (attendance, seating chart, grades, class roster, etc.). We also use the java plug-in grade book via powerschool so that all of the grades are linked into one system.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by <span>Rebecca G.</span>
Rebecca G.

Powerschool is user friendly!

What do you like best?

I like that powerschol has an app that I can upload student grades on my phone! It is available to use wherever I go! I also like that I can do use the website easily on a mac and a dell. If you are using it on a mac, you will have to download an excel form so make sure you name it in a way you will remember.

What do you dislike?

I can only see one of my classes on the app because you can only put one teacher down as the "lead teacher". Because of this, I can only see my main class's grades on my phone rather than both classes. If you could put two teachers as a lead teacher, everybody can upload grades anywhere they are!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend first putting the grades as points if your assessment is in points and then converting it later to percent. If your grade is an "easy number", you can submit it directly as a percent. I would also make sure if you are using this on a mac, then you save the documents until the end of marking period so you can refer back to the original document if you need to. I would save it in folder that is named powerschool as well.

You can put grades and see student attendance and personal information all in one app! I do not have to open different websites or platforms when I want information about my students.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by <span>Matthew B.</span>
Matthew B.

Online Testing Leads to Disaster

What do you like best?

The grading system is pretty standard. It's nice that it keeps you from awarding more points than an assignment is worth. (You can't award 1000 points for a 100 point assignment).

What do you dislike?

Attempting to use the PowerSchool online testing feature was a total disaster. I could not retrieve the grades after the assessment was taken by my students. I spoke to tech support, but no solution was found. A month passed and I had to exempt all students from a major test in my class at the end of the term.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't get it. Choose another product.

PowerSchool, like every other product of this type, lets parents and teachers connect and monitor grades. It is completely indistinguishable from its competitors in what it does well and is particularly bad at what it does bad.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by <span>Sarah M.</span>
Sarah M.

This is my 2nd year using powerschool for report cards and daily lunch and attendance.

What do you like best?

I like that the grading system can be done in points or percentage by choosing it from the drop down. I also like that you can weight certain grades to be worth more. The student information is very easily assessable and can easily turn into labels or different reports.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how the strand under each grade doesn't always correlate with their actual letter grade. Often times the overall grade will be a P (proficient) and then students will have a 1 under several of the strands.

We have realized that we can not edit certain categories like test, homework, quiz, and etc. The benefits are allowing for grade parent communication. Other teachers at my school dislike that we cannot control turning the parent portal on and off.

Learn more about PowerSchool Student Information System

PowerSchool Student Information System Videos

Learning about PowerSchool Student Information System?

* We monitor all PowerSchool Student Information System reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.