PowerSchool Student Information System

PowerSchool Student Information System

PowerSchool provides the full range of features needed by administrators at the district and school level in addition to portals for teachers, parents, and students.

Work for PowerSchool Student Information System?

Learning about PowerSchool Student Information System?

PowerSchool Student Information System Reviews

Ask PowerSchool Student Information System a Question
Showing 270 PowerSchool Student Information System reviews
PowerSchool Student Information System review by Steve B.
Steve B.

"PowerSchool SIS"

What do you like best?

I like how everything in integrated. Having the teacher gradebook and the parent access integrated within the SIS is wonderful. The web solution has been one of the most rewarding parts. We no longer have to have it as a local software. Having our state reporting as a part of the software is also a wonderful solution. PowerSchool's state reporting team stay abreast of all the required state mandates and they keep the software up to date regularly. The upgrade and maintenance releases also has been solid. If there is a bug in a software release, their team is right on it and get a fix out fairly quickly! They have a very aggressive support team that works aggressively whenever you have a problem or need assistance in working in the software. I really like the opportunity for training yearly that PowerSchool puts on called PowerSchool University. We have the opportunity to work hand in had with the support team, developers and the training team. The training is wonderful!

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider getting some training on sql. It is not necessary but is helpful for using a developer software to plug into for difficult querries.

It provides a well round view of a student's performance. Having a longitudinal look at the data is very beneficial.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about PowerSchool Student Information System
PowerSchool Student Information System review by Robyn B.
Robyn B.

"Our school would not function without PowerSchool."

What do you like best?

PowerSchool allows our staff to input academic and behavioral data for our students, and these updates can be viewed by all, including parents, in real time. As the school social worker, I review this data during sessions with my students, and it's helpful to see their most updated grades and most recent behavioral infractions. PowerSchool allows me to be responsive to my students' day-to-day behavior, which at middle school, is always in a state of flux.

What do you dislike?

PowerSchool has the potential to be a great tool for the parents of our students. When working with our students, we do not work in a vacuum, and the alignment between home and school is a key leverage. On PowerSchool, each student is given an individual key that a parent can use to create their own PowerSchool account. In order to protect the privacy of this account, we, as a school, rightfully do not have access to a parent's login and password information once an account is created. Unfortunately, once a parent loses their login information, we have to point them to a third-party to recover their information, which is oftentimes cumbersome and confusing. If there was a way that a parent could easily reset their password, and there was a way we as a staff could facilitate the reset, that would be helpful. Many of our parents do not have access to a computer at home, and access PowerSchool on their phones, and many staff use their work laptops to help parents set up an account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like all software, training new staff on how to use PowerSchool takes time. Fortunately, when inputting log entries, all staff can create, edit, or delete an entry. This flexible feature is important, especially when needing to correct student data quickly.

Using the data inputted by all my colleagues who work with a student, we are allowed to easily glean academic and behavioral trends from the aggregate on PowerSchool. As a social worker, this allows me to identify areas of intervention. With the high number of students with whom I work, PowerSchool is invaluable.

What K-12 Student Information Systems solution do you use?

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Matthew G.
Matthew G.

"Relatively easy to use, but lacks many features"

What do you like best?

I like how the program is relatively easy to use. The iPhone app also is extremely convenient to check attendance or look at a class roster when my computer is being used or unavailable. Printing progress reports for students is also an easy task to complete

What do you dislike?

The system we are currently using lacks many of the main important features. We cannot log detentions or parent contact via powerschool. These things would be extremely helpful. The interface could also be a little more user friendly. Making a new seating chart or trying to print in a normal-sized window does not always prove to be easy.

The program is utilized on a daily basis for procedural tasks (attendance, seating chart, grades, class roster, etc.). We also use the java plug-in grade book via powerschool so that all of the grades are linked into one system.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Rebecca G.
Rebecca G.

"Powerschool is user friendly!"

What do you like best?

I like that powerschol has an app that I can upload student grades on my phone! It is available to use wherever I go! I also like that I can do use the website easily on a mac and a dell. If you are using it on a mac, you will have to download an excel form so make sure you name it in a way you will remember.

What do you dislike?

I can only see one of my classes on the app because you can only put one teacher down as the "lead teacher". Because of this, I can only see my main class's grades on my phone rather than both classes. If you could put two teachers as a lead teacher, everybody can upload grades anywhere they are!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend first putting the grades as points if your assessment is in points and then converting it later to percent. If your grade is an "easy number", you can submit it directly as a percent. I would also make sure if you are using this on a mac, then you save the documents until the end of marking period so you can refer back to the original document if you need to. I would save it in folder that is named powerschool as well.

You can put grades and see student attendance and personal information all in one app! I do not have to open different websites or platforms when I want information about my students.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"Online Testing Leads to Disaster"

What do you like best?

The grading system is pretty standard. It's nice that it keeps you from awarding more points than an assignment is worth. (You can't award 1000 points for a 100 point assignment).

What do you dislike?

Attempting to use the PowerSchool online testing feature was a total disaster. I could not retrieve the grades after the assessment was taken by my students. I spoke to tech support, but no solution was found. A month passed and I had to exempt all students from a major test in my class at the end of the term.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't get it. Choose another product.

PowerSchool, like every other product of this type, lets parents and teachers connect and monitor grades. It is completely indistinguishable from its competitors in what it does well and is particularly bad at what it does bad.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Sarah M.
Sarah M.

"This is my 2nd year using powerschool for report cards and daily lunch and attendance."

What do you like best?

I like that the grading system can be done in points or percentage by choosing it from the drop down. I also like that you can weight certain grades to be worth more. The student information is very easily assessable and can easily turn into labels or different reports.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how the strand under each grade doesn't always correlate with their actual letter grade. Often times the overall grade will be a P (proficient) and then students will have a 1 under several of the strands.

We have realized that we can not edit certain categories like test, homework, quiz, and etc. The benefits are allowing for grade parent communication. Other teachers at my school dislike that we cannot control turning the parent portal on and off.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Louise M.
Louise M.

"Smooth operation"

What do you like best?

Super easy interface to learn. Very smooth to operate.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! Especially if you are new to computerized education management systems, this one is easy to navigate and easy to learn even for those who aren't tech-savvy. Take the plunge, you won't look back! Even if you decide to change to a different platform later on in the game, this is, as I mentioned, a very good starting point for any school or educational institute. Everybody's data captured and in one place. This makes it easier for administrative staff to evaluate and check up on data.

In Education, it's important to have a great management system. Powerschool does that effectively.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Frances D.
Frances D.

"PowerSchool"

What do you like best?

I love the customization possibilities and that fact that PowerSchool is responsive to the requests of customers. The support has been very good. We have usually been able to get the product to do what we need.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes difficult for our admin staff to get out the data they need. PowerSchool has definitely been addressing this and creating solutions that make it easier for someone who is not a database person to get the information they need out of the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can add customizations to PowerSchool. Many are already created for you by other users and are easy to load into the system.

State reporting has been much easier with PowerSchool

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Charles T.
Charles T.

"PowerSchool SIS"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool provides a web based student information system that is easy to use and maintain. We leverage the ability to customize the system and user interface, including access to core data using ODBC and APIs for external solutions that we either purchase or build ourselves. The combination of a student management system and a grade book is being expanded with the acquisition of Haiku for a learning management system as well as improvements to the data and assessment elements that can now be connected to PowerSchool.

What do you dislike?

Over the course of the history of PowerSchool, which began as a small startup company, there have been multiple companies owning PowerSchool (including Apple and Pearson). The change from one parent company to another has occasionally resulted in frustrations with the support structure and the talent for technical support offered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with all major implementations check that the solution meets your needs, that you have the right skills internally to maintain the system or funding to provide for external support.

This is our Student Information System for all student and staff data, school scheduling, grades, attendance, state reporting, and custom data tracking. Our intent is to include the new learning management system and the data/assessment pieces for common formative assessments and interim assesments.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Jennifer K.
Jennifer K.

"A Teachers Life Made Easy"

What do you like best?

I really like the fact that so many facets from attendance to grading and so many things in-between are available through this one program!

What do you dislike?

There isn't much with PowerSchool that I dislike. I do IB grading and a spot for that would be nice, but isn't necessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is my opinion that every school should use PowerSchool. It houses so many aspects of a teachers daily routines and information that we have to keep up with in one place, that it's worth every penny!

I'm solving the problem of having to use a variety of different programs to take attendance, do grading, keep track of medical alerts, parents info, students info, by simply using this one program. The benefits of using just PowerSchool have enabled me to save time and quickly find what I need.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Barbara A.
Barbara A.

"All Access SIS"

What do you like best?

I like the instant feedback available to parents and students via Gradebook. Data entry is simple and quick. Easy to enter assignments for large group of students. Really enjoy being able to provide attendance data in real time. Helpful for students and parents to track absences. Overall, parent feedback is positive. Many features available, the software is somewhat pliable to fit teacher/school needs.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were a way to adjust values for assignments not yet entered - I received panicked messages from parents when a student is absent/a grade isn't entered and the resulting 0 temporarily lowers the grade. There was a steep learning curve and those that are not naturally tech-savvy are sometimes hesitant to learn. Once learned, it is a very feature rich SIS system.

We enjoy the benefits of having everything available in real time. It has allowed students to be more self-sufficient and in charge of their grade data. Parents no longer email requesting grade updates.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Angela T.
Angela T.

"Powerful communication with PowerSchool"

What do you like best?

Powerful connections with PS can occur between teacher, students, parents, and administrators. Counselors can access data across the District. There is no delay when transferring between our schools- it makes this process seamless.

What do you dislike?

The only problem is that parents do not automatically get access upon registration of students. They have to have a person physically look up their access info and send home a temp password.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This will make all users connected with grades, demographics, and disciplinary information.

We are finally connecting student information with parental support and tying in proper disciplinary logs with details and consequences.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Rebecca M.
Rebecca M.

"PowerSchool Haiku For the Win"

What do you like best?

Haiku is the perfect private website to share content with students without the fear of their identities being revealed to the wider world. I am able to share classroom photos and student work without the worry of their privacy being violated. Students are able to send emails to me for help, and I am able to respond quickly and easily. There are many features like polls and assignments that help me to stay organized and items like the calendar help students to know what assignments are coming up next. Best off all, content can be saved from year to year, so I am not having to recreate something new every time I complete a lesson.

What do you dislike?

There are few things I dislike, but the biggest is the lack of a quality mobile app. When logging in from my phone to respond, is not mobile friendly, therefore I am stuck scrolling and often make mistakes. This does cause issues when trying to respond to student emails as they occasionally do not send due to the unease of clicking submit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is perfect for use by various individuals across an organization as well as for use by various administrators.

Needing various single spots to share information with various groups has been the biggest challenge in finding a produce like PowerSchool. PowerSchool Haiku has allowed our organization to have separate online spaces for various groups. For example, each teacher is able to have a specific page for their own classroom, as well as the school having one for parents, various grade levels, and sports teams. These benefits are so valuable because parents and students are able to find information in one spot, and know that the information is secure and hidden from public view.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Sarah R.
Sarah R.

"My Favorite Student Data System"

What do you like best?

I love Power School because all of our student data needs are stored in one location. We no longer have multiple programs for grading, demographics, and scheduling. Everything is done in one program.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes Power School can be slow to release new features or fix bugs in the program. For example, just today I was having problems with the recommendation feature for scheduling. They had to escalate my issue and ended up not having a solution for it at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program does take some getting used to as it is different from all other products that I have used. Know that there will be a learning curve for admin as well as staff using it. Be patient.

We are managing our state reporting, student data, and staff information all in one location. The ability to have single sign on for all these features is something you cannot put a price on .

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Agency in Education Management
Agency in Education Management

"PowerSchool is a student information system that is constantly improving with need."

What do you like best?

I like that the company listens to its users and makes enhancements based on request as well as leaving things to be customized by the end user if desired. Once proper training has been received it is very to use the software as well. There are also many user groups that share ideas/customization and reports throughout the country. This can be very useful.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there seems to be a lot of customizing to make the product work but when it is so widely used it is understandable. Also, if proper training is not set up then the end user may have difficulty in setting up the software and utilizing it properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you find out what training to begin with and have all users set up within PowerSource to be able to utilize Mastery in Minutes/search for answers from the community as well as add/vote on enhancements. Go to user group meetings, especially ones specific to your state so that you can make sure you are utilizing it to coincide with your state requirements.

We can generate the student information/reports that we need in order to provide the reporting we need.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by William W.
William W.

"Powerschool for high schools "

What do you like best?

Powerschool does a lot of good things for keeping track of grades, informing parents and students and allowing teachers to vary the way they score grades.

What do you dislike?

The way we have it set up at our school report card and mid term comments re limited to a relatively small number of characters. I usually exceed the allowed number and have to edit my comments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

start slow - keep trying different options when you have time

Informing parents and students of current class standing, grade, and use email for communication.

I use Powerschool to help students see missed work and what they need to do to succeed.

I also use the assignment comment option to remind students what they did well or poorly on some assignments throughout the year.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Powerschool K-12 SIS great, but not the SPED side of it"

What do you like best?

Powerschool K-12 SIS is user friendly and runs some pretty handy reports

What do you dislike?

My work uses Powerschool as a K-12 SIS but also for special education to store, organize, and implement special education components (e.g, IEP, Eligibility, Parent Contacts, Prior Written Notices, etc.).... We were told that Powerschool K-12 SIS and Powerschool IEP(SPED) would communicate with each other which we thought would be perfect! However, Powerschool is basically building the program as we speak... as we are using it. They don't seem to have any knowledge about what is required from the school special education standpoint and ever since my work has signed up to use it a year ago we were promised that certain things would happen- those things have not happened. Certain features don't work or are working in error. This has caused major issues on my work end due to us having to make sure that we keep dates and times in order for reporting to the state-federal government. This impacts our funding. Powerschool has hired and fired people who work with us and the new people are putting blame on the old people. In the end, Powerschool IEP is not ever a program I would recommend and it is getting that I would not reccomend Powerschool in general.

Solving: place to store documents and organize information for students

Benefits Realized: None. Powerschool has made things even more unorganized and caused more headache due to errors and gliches which have resulted in double the amount of steps to make sure that a student's file is organized and correct.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"PowerSchool has been a great asset for my school community."

What do you like best?

What I like best about PowerSchool is the ability to change how I view my gradebook. I can look at one assignment at a time, a scoresheet for the whole class, or a profile for each individual student.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that things don't always fit on the page very nicely. Before PowerSchool became completely web-based, you could more easily view an entire group of students. They have done updates to improve this problem, but it does still happen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When using PowerSchool, take advantage of all of the features that will provide the most information to your students parents. Use the late, missing, absent, and completed buttons as well as the description field which will allow you to describe your assignment and add any extra information you'd like your parents to know.

We are using PowerSchool to run a report for all missing assignments, allowing us to reach the students who aren't finishing their work or who aren't turning it in. This is an intervention step for my school and it has dramatically reduced the amount of zeros our students have.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Saloni H.
Saloni H.

"Powerschool for educators is awesome!"

What do you like best?

Powerschool is great because you can have so many different kinds of accounts. At our school, we have one account-type for teachers, one account-type for students, and one account-type for the parents. It enables communication smoothly.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how you cannot use powerschool to submit assignments. It would be helpful if students could submit their assignments through powerschool and then teachers can enter grades while viewing submissions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend PowerSchool to schools who need to communicate to multiple parties.

Grading, scheduling, student contact information, student behavior problems, logging conference calls, communicating to parents, communicating to adminstration- all are problems that powerschool helps solve

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Karen H.
Karen H.

"Love/Hate Relationship (mostly hate)"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the platform. PowerSchool Assessment makes cheating nearly impossible. Students are completely locked out of everything. If they leave the program for more than 10 seconds (cumulative) the test locks.

What do you dislike?

Nearly everything else! I feel as if I am beta testing the earliest version of the software. However this is being used by my entire district. The navigation is terrible!

To view the test for my subjects

1) Click open to choose 9-12 math standards

2) Find & select Exams at the bottom of the page

3) Choose Post Test

This opens an alphabetical list of all of the schools in the district including elementary, middle, & high.

4) Find and select my school.

This opens a list of all of the math tests saved in my school's folder.

(This process is also needed in the Testing Center tab to assign & administer a test and then again in the Reporting to review the results)

PowerSchool Assessment takes tedious to another level.

Finding items to include on an exam is even more difficult. Items are found within standards. Some standards have 2000+ results. (Because of the 9-12 standards). There are limited filters that do little to help with selection. The filter lacks keyword, subject, & grade level options. The questions include naming conventions and symbols display DOK & question type. However, there is no way to preview the question without selecting or using the review items menu that displays items one at a time.

Writing items is also a difficult process. There are only 5 types of questions; fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, hot spot (multiple select), drag drop, and constructed response. PowerSchool Assessment requires the user to determine the layout of the question in the first step and this cannot be changed without starting over. Images can be uploaded, however size of the image cannot be adjusted after upload. This leads to another major issue, concerning image size. Some of the images displayed during testing are too small for students to use. This wouldn't be a major issue in most situations, but in testing mode PowerSchool Assessment prevents zooming. Another issue is limited support for entering equations. Students have access to an equation editor in constructed response, but not in fill-in-the-blank.

My colleagues and I have been disappointed in the provided content. Many of the questions "seem" like good questions until you look closer. The difficulty lies in the wording and not the actual content. It is easy to write a tricky assessment item that is difficult. It is difficult to write a quality question that requires deeper thinking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think this program will be great, but the key word here is WILL. It's just not ready for the consumer.

This program has basically eliminated cheating.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Sara J.
Sara J.

"Good transition to standards-based grading"

What do you like best?

I was skeptical when my district unrolled PowerSchool for more than just attendance management, but overall I think it's been a solid tool to maintain student records during the transition to standards-based report cards.

What do you dislike?

Many of the menus make it hard to see all of the features at once; there is a lot of scrolling. The UI is not the cleanest or most intuitive thing I have ever used.

PowerSchool has allowed my team to manage student record keeping relatively easily and track/filter student progress. It's well-integrated; a single home for all of the information we have to keep on students.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Robert M.
Robert M.

"Ease of access and nice interface"

What do you like best?

I like the navigation and ease of use compared to Edline. I particularly like the global view which shows a snapshot of all of my daughter's classes.

What do you dislike?

At the moment I have not run across anything I dislike. I also plan to look at the mobile versions of powerschool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it as it provides a very flexible level of management for keeping track of classes and the system simple and quick.

I have near real time awareness of my daughters performance and can help her keep track of her grades and communicate directly with her teachers in a timely manner.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Joyce K.
Joyce K.

"PowerSchool "

What do you like best?

We love PowerSchool. We have been able to customize it to meet our needs. Our teachers, counselors, and administrators as well as our students and parents are very happy with with the PowerSchool Learning Management module. Users find navigation intuitive. It interfaces seamlessly with our PowerSchool SIS. Teachers have set up class and club pages to communicate with students and their parents. Administrators can “shadow” students and teachers to find out what is happening. Parents can see when major tests are scheduled or projects are due. Rosters are updated automatically three times a day so students and parents will see correct information when the student changes classes. There are dozens of videos and how-to instructions available about how to use various features such as blogs, wikis, polling, and much more. It helps build collaboration among teachers and administrators and provides data for supporting decisions with analytics.

What do you dislike?

The grading section does not yet allow for categories of grades as PowerSchool does. Therefore, we cannot accurately reflect the students' grades in the Learning Management module. Parents have to look at assignments in the LMS and then go to PowerSchool to see averaged grades. It will be wonderful when they can get this piece in place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerSchool is constantly improving. We think this LMS is well worth the investment. All of our constituents love it. I have not heard one complaint.

Teachers are using far less paper and ink, not to mention their time by distributing handouts via the PowerSchool LMS. Our administrators and our Guidance Counselors like being able to distribute information this way too, but what they like even more is the fact that they can "shadow" a student or teacher and see exactly what is on the teachers' sites and what documents students are receiving and doing. Students and parents like have all of their assignments and due dates in one place

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Bradley S.
Bradley S.

"Great Mobile Apps, Integration, and customizations"

What do you like best?

The PowerSchool Teacher, Student and Parent Mobile apps are modern and rich in features. This is an area we found sorely lacking in many other SIS solutions. Our parents LOVE IT!

We are able to integrate almost any education system we come across. Meal Tracking, Online Enrollment, Online Payments, Special Education solutions, LMS and much more. This is huge!

What do you dislike?

Only a few database fields are problematic. One is the Student E-Mail field. It's fine in all core areas of PowerSchool. But it's very difficult to interact with 3rd party integrations. There are work arounds, but it should be a lot better. Especially in a district that controls the email account of the student. It's a silly dislike and minor honestly, but a real one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upon implementation, have a team ready.

Where to start! You can integrate with so much. LMS solutions can auto populate teachers, students and classes. Our online enrollment system can enroll students without double entry. Parents can pay balances using our 3rd Party integration with our Credit Card merchant. Every time I need an export for photo day, 3rd party assessments, or the like, PowerSchool can do that for me without a call to support. It's customizable and open enough to make it do what we want the way we want.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by David M.
David M.

"Great SIS with potential to grow"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is rock solid reliable! We have been running it for about 10 years now and have never encountered an issue with the software that would cause our day-to-day operations to suffer.

In addition to reliability, PowerSchool was built to grow. It is a web-based product that allows end-user customization of nearly every data entry screen. There are many outside vendors that have established a relationship with PowerSchool (ISV Partners) that offer other products which integrate wonderfully with PowerSchool. Finally, the database is Oracle and completely accessible to the administrative users to run complex queries on the data.

What do you dislike?

The historical database is not as robust as I would like. Not all data can be viewed as it existed at a certain point in time (for example, there is no way to know where a particular student resided last year ... only where they currently reside).

PowerSchool is our most business-critical system. It contains all student information records, including special education and state reporting data. Additionally, it is the backbone for other vendor software that we are using for lunches, health information, parent and community communication, and Google Classroom sync.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Natalie G.
Natalie G.

"The Power of PowerSchool"

What do you like best?

I like that students are able to view their grades and attendance in their courses. I also like that PowerSchool bought Haiku and I'm able to put on the PowerSchool Learning site information for students to review whether they've been out or if they need extra time with materials.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is the power outages that seem to happen randomly.

Students not having access to materials when they're absent or students not knowing their grades. This solves the problem for students who are frequently absent for various reasons. Additionally, since NC doesn't buy textbooks, PowerSchool Learning allows students to have access to materials that are deemed necessary and relevant from anywhere there's internet access.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="5c5e2fdf-d6a9-4786-a29f-7fdb2ffb8708">Rachel K.</span>
Rachel K.
" itemprop="name" />

"PowerSchool- When its working its great"

What do you like best?

Powerschool was always easy for me to submit information for my students. I also liked that I could look up information on my students if I had a concern. As a kindergarten teacher, I did not have to submit my grades through PowerSchool. My colleagues that did submit their grades praised the ease of use. They never had issues with getting their grades placed into PowerSchool. It is also nice that PowerSchool allows parents to check their child's grades from home.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like that PowerSchool had so many maintenance days. It seemed to be down more than it was up towards the end of the year. It was frustrating to go through the channels to login and not be able to do what I needed to do. I think they layout could also be improved to be more teacher friendly. Sometimes you had to click through multiple channels to get to what you were looking for. Also, the tabs were very small and things became muddled when searching for a specific area..

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerSchool, overall, is a good resource for educators as it has all the information in one area. It is concise and fairly easy to use.

PowerSchool is a business information system that works primarily with student data. Its cohesive in having student data and record keeping attendance.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Michelle K.
Michelle K.

"Great resource, but encounters glitches"

What do you like best?

I love how easy powerschool is to use. It seems like our school is constantly adding new technology to get the job done and I quite honestly don't have the time or patience to learn how to submit report cards for the millionth time. Power school is fairly user friendly.

What do you dislike?

There are constant outages. Our network admins are constantly sending out emails about how powerschool or haiku (a feature we use) is down. It makes it incredibly difficult when we are encouraged to put all of our lessons onto haiku, yet we can't access them sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that others use power school, but do not rely on it for everything as your admin wants you to do. Sometimes power school is down and it can be difficult if all of your lessons and admin functions are reliant on power school.

We are able to communicate with parents via powerschool. When grades are uploaded they are instantly accessible to parents and students. I almost wish it weren't so instantaneous.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education
Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"It's a student information system"

What do you like best?

The improvements made to the system.

I've been working with this product for over 10 years now. If I was writing this review 10 years ago I would have told you to stay as far away as possible. However, considerable progress has been made over the years and it's now a pretty solid and reliable system. Almost every new release improves my opinion of it.

What do you dislike?

Support can sometimes be a huge hassle for anything beyond the basic questions (most of my calls to support end up at Tier 3 or development). Once you create a support ticket you have no way to contact the person working on the issue except through their ticketing system. When they 'escalate' a ticket to Tier 2 or Tier 3, you have to wait for them to call you. If it's not an urgent issue, this can sometimes take days. This can be extremely frustrating when your dealing with an issue that is making the system unusable.

That being said, once you do talk to the necessary support Tier they are usually pretty good about resolving the problems and working with you.

It's Java based... If it was only the server this wouldn't be a huge issue but there are several client applications which are also Java based. The grade book (which was recently replaced with a new HTML5 version) has always been a pain to get working on some machines. Java updates would frequently break it.

The database structure still has a lot of crap left over from the early database designed (PowerSchool was using a 4D database when I first started using it). Many of these database tables do not have foreign key constraints which can lead to some funky data showing up if things get past the application validation.

System is used to store almost all of our basic student information along with attendance, grades, health records. The incident management system is also pretty well designed.

User in Education Management

"Effeciently Enter and Share Grades"

What do you like best?

It's easy to create an assignment and copy it to other classes. I can customize how many points items are worth, and it's simple to add extra credit. Students receive their own log-in and parents can also receive accounts. This means that students/ families can always know their grade/ find out missing assignments. The interface is easy to navigate. Once I learned how to create groups, it's a function that I appreciate being able to use.

What do you dislike?

I know that there are going to be updates to the software very soon. But I currently do not like the fact that the Gradebook component of the program must run on my laptop/ computer instead of being accessible through the website. It would be helpful to have an app that actually works (both for teachers and for students/ families). Finally, I wish there was a function so automatically sort students based on grades (especially failing/ not failing).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great system for keeping track of student grades and progress, not just for teachers, but for students, families, and their administrators as well. I primarily use the Gradebook function, but the other features of it can be beneficial for school-wide systems and procedures that are maintained by administrators and office staff.

The greatest benefit for this program in a school is the ease of communication with families and students regarding their grades. A student's end of term grade should never be a surprise, because students have access to their grades at all times.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Eliza C.
Eliza C.

"I used Powerschool on a daily basis to look up student information & complete work tasks."

What do you like best?

I liked the options of sorting through each category. For instance when I needed to look at only the 5th graders I was able to separate it by category instead of weeding through all the students. I also liked that we were able to collaborate with other colleagues at the same time.

What do you dislike?

When Powerschool was down it was really frustrating because there was nothing I could do and it was very challenging to communicate the issues I was having with the Powerschool expert. Because my job is solely dependent on Powerschool when I needed to print a report or look something up and the database was not running well it made it very hard to get what I needed to done.

This past year I used Powerschool a lot for registering students and I appreciated the use of the tools it provided to allow me to access the requests while the middle school counselors accessed it.

User in Education Management

"Comprehensive with a variety of options"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool's interface is straightforward, clean, and easy to use. I appreciate the way options are organized--from finding a student's grades to managing assignments, grades, comments, etc. Also, as a Canvas user, I appreciate that I can import grades from Canvas into PowerSchool and also include links and comments for students and parents to view. I also like the different grade scale options as well as icons that indicate whether an assignment has been collected or is late/missing.

What do you dislike?

I wish the seating chart option was a little less clunky aesthetically. I do appreciate the photos though. Also, I wish there could be an option for when a teacher wants an assignment and all the grade school to go live for students and parents to see. When I grade major assignments, it takes me a while to get through 100+ grades and comments. I like to put in grades as I grade, but I usually hold off because then students and parents wonder why they don't have a grade or comment yet...

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely give PS a try and also see what other options they offer (with different payment tiers).

As a teacher, it's important that I can have transparent communication about grades with all stakeholders. PowerSchool is a nice way to do that since it gives teachers the option to provide links and comments for each assignment.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Margaret N.
Margaret N.

"Nothing does it better..."

What do you like best?

The data reporting and the ease of access to longitudinal data can not be currently beat. I believe that Powerschools give excellent information on the assessments my teachers give in my District and school. Additionally, with the partnership with Powerschools and our state we are able to see longitudinal data that we have not been able to access so easily in the past. They are also open to feedback, and truly with their improvements in recent months, have been listening to their clients.

What do you dislike?

The ease of creating an assessment, especially with graphics, could be improved. Having to snip, save, and import seems to add extra work when copying and pasting would be quicker.

I work with analyzing the data for my District for a particular content area. This helps us analyze data more thoroughly and efficiently.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Kimberly C.
Kimberly C.

"Futuristic Gradebook"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is a powerful tool that streamlines the ease of grade reporting for teachers, administration and parents. It is easy to use and display real time data. As educators update students' grades, parents are able to view time. For teachers, this tool is more accurate and efficient than the traditional grade books. In addition, progress reports can be easily ran within the software and sent home to parents and guardians. For parents and students the software allows progress tracking and improving problem areas based on data presented. This tool puts responsibility in the hands of the parents and students. Parents can no longer proclaim they didn't know their child's progress or lack thereof. Additionally parents can track their child's attendance using his software.

What do you dislike?

So my main issue with PowerSchool is receiving a summary of current grades and attendance and detail report showing assignments scores for each class. I have signed up for this weekly for over five years and have yet to receive the information via email. I don't know if it is a glitch in the system or something going on with my email provider.

While a school is a setting for learning it is also a business. The state requires school systems to accurately report attendance to it. Inaccurate reporting of attendance could result in the lost of funding or reduced funding. PowerSchool helps solved this issue by creating reports that can be sent directly to corresponding agencies.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Raymond K.
Raymond K.

"PowerSchool user as a K to 12 school teacher and administrator for 6 years."

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is a one stop solution. One interface/application that covers of school reporting and administration from kindergarten registration to high school graduation.

What do you dislike?

Did not like the java based grade book, but that has been eliminated and I look forward to using the new PowerTeacherPro. Because PowerSchool is so comprehensive navigating the admin interface can be challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Six years later and we are still not looking for another solution - PS is getting the job done.

PowerSchool allows our school/division to record, gather, store, pull and compare data from multiply years. Customization to meet our school's and districts unique needs is very doable and saves us time and human resources.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Avery S.
Avery S.

"PowerSchool is a great tool for teachers to keep track of student info."

What do you like best?

I love how I am able to keep parents and students up to date on grades with powerschool. My students can log on and see an accurate gradebook that looks just like the one I keep on powerteacher. It helps my parents be a little more involved and aware of the progress that their child is making in class. Final Grades are never a surprise because at any time they can check to see how they are doing. It helps some students keep on top of missing work so that they aren't frantic at the end of the semester.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I wish that the menus were easier to navigate. It can be difficult to find specific student information at times. But overall I love powerschool!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Powerschool is a great tool for the daily tasks of being a teacher. I like being able to log in and send my attendance and lunch count to the office without having to send a student out of the room. The gradebook feature of powerschool is an amazing way to help keep parents up to date on their students' grades in my class. I can direct parents and students to check powerschool for missing assignments instead of always having them ask me what hasn't been turned in.

At our school we use powerschool for taking daily attendance and sending in lunch count. We also use the gradebook feature for keeping track of grades. It is great because I can use the gradebook or powerschool wherever I have internet access. I can use it from my ipad in the classroom or at home to put in grades.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Erica R.
Erica R.

"Student Info System "in a box""

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is such a comprehensive system that it does everything a school administrator needs to manage the students' information. The grade book component is fairly flexible, and can be run on any computer.

What do you dislike?

The software is so comprehensive that sometimes it can be cumbersome to make changes or to take advantage of everything it has to offer. It can also be difficult to get technical support because they restrict phone access to two contacts per account and the knowledge base is very large. The success of finding an answer to your question is usually based on your ability to craft a good search term.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the training offered when you purchase the software.

Taking attendance, reporting grades to students and parents.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Jennifer B.
Jennifer B.

"PowerSchool review"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool has been very easy for our company to implement and use. The ability to synchronize all of the information from different schools has been a big plus for us.

What do you dislike?

We have had some challenges with being able to get timely support when we are having a challenge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Powerschools has been very easy for our organization to implement. The support we have received has been great. The system has brought many benefits in organizing and sharing data between multiple campuses which has allowed our central office access to data quickly. This immediate access to data and resources allow management to act more quickly when making key business decisions.

Allows several school locations to pool information quickly and easily in one system. This allows campuses to colllanorate and share data.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Nicole N.
Nicole N.

"Easy and efficient way and use"

What do you like best?

I love how there is a vast amount of information at your fingertips, organized in a precise, easy-to-read way. As long as you know how to query as well, it’s easy to pull information, export it, and then paste it on a spreadsheet.

What do you dislike?

I haven't come across any problems, but in terms of dislike, sometimes getting information through queries can be a bit tedious. You have to know exactly what you're looking for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to have someone with quick knowledge of the queries sometimes needed to find very precise information.

Student registration, demographics, teacher and student schedules, finding students through their last names or their user IDs. Information is easy to access and easy to read as well.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Megan S.
Megan S.

"PowerSchool is a user friendly and highly detailed SIS"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate that PowerSchool is easily customizable, creating a well managed SIS for my school that fits our needs as opposed to a generic out of the box gradebook interface.

What do you dislike?

The JAVA gradebook makes teachers tasks a bit cumbersome, but with the elimination of JAVA with the new PowerTeacher Pro, this frustration should become a mere memory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerSchool has recently separated from it's parent Pearson into its own free standing company. The staff know and believe in their product and offer tremendous support from the most basic questions to very technical ones.

PowerSchool unites our administrators, faculty, students, and parents alike so that all interested parties can easily monitor a students progress. I am taking advantage of the customization features to create fields, pages, and screens that aren't in the 'out of the box' product but help me better manage our students and school.

User in Primary/Secondary Education

"A Robust Suite of Programs"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool allows for several different ways of taking attendance: including by picture, by seating chart, or by list. PowerSchool also allows for a lot of different apps that school districts can add so that teachers can find all types of information on their students.

What do you dislike?

PowerSchool's interface is very clustered. It often takes a lot of effort to wade through what seems to be endless levels of menus to get to the information about students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest you take the time to explore around the program up front.

PowerSchool allows me, as a teacher, to have access to data on my students in real time. With programs within the suite, attendance can be taken, grades can be compiled, and records can be found.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Lisa T.
Lisa T.

"PowerSchool support"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool allows users to make the most of the database for their unique needs.

What do you dislike?

Some inability to delete or remove fields or data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I work with a number of districts and have never heard of anyone truly unhappy with the move to PowerSchool. The longer districts use it, the more they appreciate its versatility and ability to customize.

PowerSchool is a great tool for integrating with other platforms and making teachers and admins' jobs better and easier. It is a great communication tool for parents and students.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Joanne R.
Joanne R.

"PowerSchool is easy to use on the mobile app, but lacks features"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is easy to use for grading students work. It can be used on a computer or using a phone. Students and parents can easily access updated grades, including averages and comments from the teacher. This program shows what days were missed and which assignments are missed.

What do you dislike?

PowerSchool is lacking an area for teachers and/or administrators to put in comments that are based on behavior. There is also no log for teachers and/or administrators to note calls home to parents. These are features that would be very beneficial and are available in similar programs. Teachers also don't have access to the nice grid schedules that are available to administrators.

Grading students, documenting attendance, providing student schedules. The benefit is to have all of this information in one program.

"PowerSchool "

What do you like best?

PowerSchool has many portals. One for Admin, one for Teachers, one for Subs, and one for parents and students. It is a great way to communicant with everyone.

There are also enough schools using PowerSchool it allows for user groups to get together and learn from each other.

What do you dislike?

The training for learning how to customize fields is a lacking. We have information we collect and need to be able to keep it in our SIS. PowerSchool allows for school districts to do this, however, you have to already know how to program. Tech support is not able to help with customization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerSchool is a wonderful product. It is always changing and improving. Get involved with User Groups. Make arrangements to attend PowerSchool University. It is one of the best ways to get training and know what is changing. We are also hosted by PowerSchool which takes a huge burden away from the district.

As PowerSchool is growing so are we. The most recent feature we started using is the on line registration. What a time saver. Our parents and schools love this.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Teresa D.
Teresa D.

"Using PowerSchool as a teacher"

What do you like best?

I am able to leave notes about individual assignments, including if something is missing or why a student earned a low score. This helps me remember later in the semester and helps parents and students when they are trying to understand their grades.

I also like that I am able to look up the grades (both individual and cumulative) that my students have in other classes. This helps me keep track of my advisees and look for patterns in their work across various classes.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of bugs, especially with updates. I still have trouble with the new launcher on multiple computers and therefore have to go through multiple steps to open the application to enter grades.

I also wish that I could enter grades in a browser window and in an Android app. This would make entering grades a simpler process as I do a lot of work on a Chromebook or Android device.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Save often, as random errors or internet lapses can lead to significant lost time. This is especially crucial when entering course comments. I would go further and recommend saving course comments in a separate document and pasting them in, as too many of my colleagues have horror stories of losing an entire class of comments.

PowerSchool enables parents to stay on top of student grades and helps students to keep track of their progress. It is a great communication tool, and keeps grading open and visible to administrators, other teachers, and families. It is a useful replacement to the paper gradebook.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Mike T.
Mike T.

"A K-12 Solution"

What do you like best?

With PowerSchool you have a simple SIS to use for keeping track of the everyday business of a school. You can also use the grade book, which helps in formulating final grades and it also allows parents to see their students progress.

What do you dislike?

Finding reports sometimes can be difficult from a teacher perspective. Overall there really isn't much that PowerSchool can't do. It will be interesting to see the LMS that they have added to the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerSchool is working towards becoming not just an SIS but also a full service LMS that is worth looking into.

This program helps keep all the schools in our district organized, classes and students organized schedule wise. We are even starting to use the Gradebook.

"Powerschool Admin"

What do you like best?

I like that powerschool looks very professional and has a lot of ways to create detailed reports. It has an easy total count of students by grade, whole school, and you have easy access to teacher accounts. It is also easy to see full description of students demographics, I work at a charter school so it is very helpful in regards to creating fast reports for CSI.

What do you dislike?

I am not a fan of how expensive, or all the extra money for the add ons. I am not a fan of the size of the student pictures on their profiles or the excessive amount of links that take you to another link that take you to another link, it is not very simple to use, and the support for it is incredibly lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a point of contact for Powerschool support, I reached out to a few schools near me to give me support because their support system is incredibly lacking.

I use it at the charter school I work at for student information and data. It helps me create reports for CSI and I can create reports on student information for submissions to the state.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Lauren R.
Lauren R.

"Buggy but Useful"

What do you like best?

I have used this software every day as a teacher, and use it to track attendance, fill in grades, and keep students aware of their class participation/current averages.

What do you dislike?

I often have trouble with it freezing while I am in the middle of entering a lot of grades.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Powerschool is the best of these softwares as far as I know--I am still utilizing it as a rookie, but I can't imagine others being much better. Just make sure you save frequently!

Students (in an ideal world) should use this tool to check their grades, assess their work in a class, and the same should be said for parents. It has been helpful to keep a running log of grades and attendance.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Kelly E.
Kelly E.

"Going in the right direction"

What do you like best?

I'm part of small group of colleagues using PowerTeacherPro this year. I like the streamlined version and the fact that there's no more Gradebook app to download. Everything can be completed in one place!

What do you dislike?

In PT Gradebook, the set-up is a little clunky. Even in PTP, there are some features--transferring assignments--that are a few too many steps to be efficient.

PowerSchool is improving their design and functionality so that schools and staff are able to find everything in one place.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Administrator

"Great for parents"

What do you like best?

I like that not only can the school sites use this program but parents can as well. It is an easy to down load app. and you can keep tabs on all you children grades, absents, and lunch account. Really easy to navigate this program. Again if you play with this site you will see all the advantages it has.

What do you dislike?

I cannot really say that I have any dislikes with this program as of now. Really easy to use for not only those who use it for their work but parents as well. Like I said before all you have to do is play around with it to see what it can do. I have not had to call costumer service not one for this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not at this time. I think it is an awesome program.

There are a lot of benefits for us who use it for work. It is a one stop site. You can do it all from here. As a parents its is awesome to see how your child is doing. one thing that I did not list form above that if your child's teachers users the program you can see all grades and assignments that you child has.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by User in Performing Arts
User in Performing Arts

"Powerschool serves its purposes, but could better receive information from other learning platforms."

What do you like best?

I like how straightforward it is to enter my grades - it seems pretty simple, basic, and easy to use, and has thus far worked well in my grading systemization. I also appreciate the ease of submitting my attendances for every class period.

What do you dislike?

I'm frustrated that it's not as flexible with other learning platforms. If it better corresponded with other platforms and took on that information within it, rather than needing for me to manually reenter information from one platform into PowerSchool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's doable, but won't solve every online teaching platform problem. It CAN be very useful for multiple things, such as student information determination and grade submission.

Grade entering is pretty easy, so that's really helped in helping me save a little time!

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Jodi P.
Jodi P.

"Satisfied PowerSchool Admin :)"

What do you like best?

My (new-ish) favorite part of the PowerSchool platform is customization via insertion points and plugins. Insertion points allow users to customize pages without the need to rebuild links & other data each time a PowerSchool update changes that page's coding.

Plugins allow PowerSchool to become modular, adding functionality simply by browsing for the zipped plugin file and clicking "Install". And uninstalling is as simple as disabling the plugin by unchecking a checkbox. No more going back through the files in the web root, deleting a file here, a snippet of code there, etc.

I also love our state reporting support team. They are quickly reactive to new procedures and policies required of them by our state DOE.

What do you dislike?

I have recently been helping 2 of our schools with PowerScheduler, and it seems the scheduling engine has recently gone through an update that is causing it to act rather unexpectedly at times. For example, going into a teacher's section via the "Teacher" link will cause the days of the week the course is offered to disappear. Instead we needed to go in via the "Courses" or "Sections" links. Glitches like these can be extremely frustrating for school-level personnel who only have a set amount of time to perfect the schedule.

The scheduler builder does not handle situations with multiple constraints very well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Every SIS will have things some users like and some things they don't. There is no product that will satisfy every user from the admin to the teacher to the substitute to the parent to the student. No SIS can do it all. However, whenever a great new product comes into our view that we consider purchasing, and they claim to be able to sync with our SIS, we ask if they work with PowerSchool, and the answer is always either "yes, we do" or "we are building that support now". Having the ability to add the pieces PowerSchool doesn't have in its stock product goes a long way in keeping stockholders and users happy.

We love that PowerSchool easily connects up to so many third party vendors! We use SchoolMessenger for our notification program, and it seamlessly integrates with PowerSchool right inside the interface. Even our state Department of Education has integrated a couple of its applications so that faculty sign in to PowerSchool and enter the DOE portals through SSO without further credentials.

We are implementing online registration and a health suite that will link up our state vaccine database with PowerSchool to keep nursing staff from dual data entry.

The ability to attach student documents is also very handy. Our Student Services Department is able to store and attach important medical information and 504 documents directly to the student's page so that they are accessible digitally, not in a filing cabinet.

Another program we attached to PowerSchool allows us to turn our in-house SQL queries into embedded reports that PowerSchool administrators and / or teachers can run.

Whether by learning how to do it within their own organization or by purchasing customizations, PowerSchool users can take the program most anywhere they want to go.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Extremely useful, but scary and unreliable "

What do you like best?

It is such a necessary system for keeping track of students, grades, teachers, etc. Once you get down the different ways to use it, it makes sense and you can do a lot and obtain and share a lot of useful information.

What do you dislike?

It's unreliable - PowerSchool seems to have an outage or some sort of issue multiple times a week, and we rely on it SO MUCH that that causes a lot of problems. Also, it is not intuitive, and I am scared I am going to accidentally delete a student or all their grades or do something awful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am unfamiliar with a more capable system. You definitely need a powerschool data manager fulltime, she saves our lives and keeps tracks of all of the confusing ins and outs of powerschool. I would recommend it though, I find it extremely useful.

Keeping track of attendance, entering grades, knowing where students are, etc. It makes it much easier and less time consuming to run reports on what students are failing, absent, etc. and provides necessary information about each.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Patricia C.
Patricia C.

"Efficient and Organized Program"

What do you like best?

The ease and quickness of being able to pull up student and parent information with nothing more than a name.

What do you dislike?

I have not encountered any problems with the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great system for K-12 school systems to consider as their main student database!

My place of work uses Powerschool as a student information database. Parents enter in personal information at registration and administrators and secretaries can pull up that information at any given time. We also keep track of state information such as lunch status, ELL status and state information.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Lisa S.
Lisa S.

"Amazing, makes my days so much easier."

What do you like best?

I've been a PowerSchool user since 2003. I started as attendance secretary, was school registrar, was the district data specialist and now I'm the PowerSchool administrator for the district. Our district has 6000 students and is growing by leaps and bounds. PowerSchool is more than able to keep up with the growing demands of our district. We have a very innovative staff that are always looking for new and better ways to do things and PowerSchool keeps up with their needs. In addition the PowerSchool partners are amazing to work with.

What do you dislike?

What I have disliked in the past is that PowerSchool was known for their ability to customize but then they customer support does not help you when you customize. That appears to be changing and I'm receiving more and more help with my customizations. With the new ownership I see a switch in their thinking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely!

Scheduling students, attendance, grades, communication with parents, students at risk. Tracking our data and special programs.....and on and on and on.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Mark P.
Mark P.

"PowerSchool is a pretty decent online marking system"

What do you like best?

I like that I can communicate and provide feedback for my high school students in a way they are likely to actually read it!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there is no feature to backup or take a snapshot of the grade book. If you accidentally erased a mark and you have handed that assignment back already there is no way to know what score they got.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a fairly decent online marking and attendance program.

It replaces the need for report cards

PowerSchool Student Information System review by User in Design
User in Design

"Tools That Almost Help Teachers"

What do you like best?

I like being able to set weights for grades and being able to copy assignments among classes for when the same class is offered multiple times. I also like being able to have grades auto-calculated immediately so that students can see how "what-if scenarios" can impact their future grades.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the clunky process for approving final grades for submission to administration. I think grades should be immediately available and visible and printable to the approved user community. Often times there will be a delay because an administrator doesn't think that something is done, when the only missing step is to click "done."

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stay on top of your data input. Now that students and parents are often given access to these accounts, they expect grades to almost always be current. Especially if low grades are going to be entered, you may want to reach out to the student and family directly, in addition to the digital input.

Students, parents, administrators and other teachers all benefit from being able to have current grade and attendance information at their fingertips, in order to understand how to best support each student.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Crystal K.
Crystal K.

"Love/hate relationship"

What do you like best?

I like it when PowerSchool works and let's me enter grades and attendance. I also like the web-based grading platform.

What do you dislike?

PowerSchool servers frequently crash and cause issues for our corporation. This leads to having to wait to do things like input grades or access student information.

They allow student management, grade and attendance input and more. The benefits are that everything is electronic.

User in Education Management

"Serves a great purpose; not very user-friendly"

What do you like best?

I love the targeted data that teachers get from PowerSchool Assessment. I am able to create assessments directly aligned with our state standards and the specific skills we have been working on. Once assessments are completed by students, I get very detailed data/feedback. I can see how students performed by question, by demographic, etc. It is such a great teaching tool because of the information I am able to receive. I also like that it gives the students adequate practice for end-of-year state standardized tests.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the interface. It is not the most user-friendly or intuitive program to pick up. There are lots of "clicks" and "steps" no matter if you are creating an assessment or reviewing data. I have picked up on everything at this point, but it took significantly longer than it usually does for me when learning a new program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is so valuable when looking for a program that is aligned with your state standards, gives effective practice for standardized testing, and provides beneficial data.

Our school is able to target students' needs by using PowerSchool Assessment. We use the program to see where kids are academically in various areas and what skills we need to work on. In the end, this benefits us on our state standardized assessments.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Administrator

"Powerschool in the Classroom"

What do you like best?

What I really liked best about Powerschool was the ability to post all of my class materials and assignments in one location that was available 24/7 to me and my students.

What do you dislike?

I had some difficulty at times scrolling through turn in assignments. Our school uses I pads and when i had them turn in pictures of their artwork sometimes I had to open up the image instead of quickly scrolling through them. I don't know why this happened sometimes.

This year I was a traveling teacher so having everything done electronically made it much easier to travel from classroom to classroom. I a also pleased that all the work I did this year inputting all the assignments and schedules will be available to me next year which will cut down on my planning time so I can concentrate on classroom delivery.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Synetria S.
Synetria S.

"Awesome Tool"

What do you like best?

I like the feature that allows other applications to connect with the program. Example: our referral application speaks to Power School, allowing the data to be exported into PS to create reports.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the the multiple tabs on the left that can be condensed into a smaller amount of groups.

Recommendations to others considering the product

An easier way for parents to sign up for parent portal,

We are able to view data about students at any time at anyplace.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Ashley W.
Ashley W.

"Parent friendly "

What do you like best?

I throughly enjoy that not only can student easily access their grades and assignments, but that it also gives the ability for parents to stay updated on all of their kids classes and missing assignments!

What do you dislike?

There are times when the log in can be tricky and not work as planned causing students to have to go to school admins to get these things fixed, often times locking students out of their accounts for log periods of time

It is great that parents are able to easily check in on their students grades and it helps get parents and kids talking about school and it eliminates the ability for parents to check out of their kids school lives.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Sonali K.
Sonali K.

"Helps keep track of all student data in one place "

What do you like best?

easy access to viewing IEP alerts, Teacher of record, past and current grades

What do you dislike?

It's hard to use at times. I can save lists of students but I can't do anything with the list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give them feedback about difficulty of use problems.

Helps us view students' previous and current grades in all classes, view parent contact information, take attendance. If a student is struggling, I can look them up in the database and review their data to determine ways to help.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Jeannette O.
Jeannette O.

"PowerSchool - Instructional Resource"

What do you like best?

I like that the students and parents have an access portal to see up-to-the-minute grade and attendance information. I like that as a teacher, all of my students' information is in one place.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it does not calculate the weight of each individual assignment in my gradebook as I put them in. I have to be careful that I put assignments in the right category and that I have enough of them so they don't weigh too much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A support person who knows the system well is essential!

We use this for grades, attendance, discipline information, demographic information, scheduling, and more

"PowerSchool review "

What do you like best?

It’s very easy to enter in my grades day to day. There is an auto fill feature that allows quick and easy entry for certain assignments

What do you dislike?

At this time i haven’t come across something I seriously don’t like. Entering final grades for the quarter required multiples steps but it was also my first time doing it. It will take time to get used to

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go to as many help sessions as your district provides. There are so many helpful features that you won’t get from a basic training

As a teacher is streamlines the grading and attendance process. There are many different reports that can be populated for easy data retrieval

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Ai A.
Ai A.

"Power School"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup and learn friendly user interface.

What do you dislike?

The powerschool launch shortcut sometimes need to be re-downloaded and installed. Not really sure why that happens. I'm thinking maybe there's a software update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

User friendly interface; pretty easy to learn with lots of resources when help is needed. Clear pdf directions. Easy management and report generation is straight forward. You can also view profile and contact information of your students, create seating arrangement, etc.

Education, high school

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Peter R.
Peter R.

"PowerSchool is great"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, coupled with the ability to customize almost every aspect.

What do you dislike?

Some features are not well documented, requiring me to spend a lot of time figuring them out, instead of being able to go to a manual.

Maintaining demographic info on our 3,600 students, generating upload files of required info to send to the state Dept of Ed. Building the schedule for our 1,000 student high school.

"Great, easy-to-use LMS"

What do you like best?

Powerschool Learning is very user-friendly making the adoption rate quite impressive among our teachers. The product provides a flexible structure that allows users to use LMS interactive features like discussion boards, assignments, and assessments but also set up content like resource links, text, pictures, videos, and embedded content in a website design. Users are able to begin creating content in their course with very little training.

What do you dislike?

The built-in assessment builder is weak on analytics and item types. There is also a need to be able to differentiate for students with features that allow them to pace based on proficiency.

We have been able to use a single platform districtwide. We use PS Learning for professional development, resource storage, faculty sites, and student interactive sites.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Nancy I.
Nancy I.

"School Records"

What do you like best?

That my school can customize the attendance options to include marking someone down for dress code violations, and not just present/absent.

I also like the seating chart option, that I can arrange my room anyway I want (even with little door and teacher desk icons) and the student photos appear where I have placed them.

What do you dislike?

That the grading system, when done online, uses a URL that the students can figure out, so there is never a closed season even when you have removed the link.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It allows for different levels of users. Teachers can only see students in their class currently, and others can see everyone.

Attendance, Contact information, Grades, Comments, Seating Charts

"Powerschool Counseling Use"

What do you like best?

I've learned that PowerSchool Assessment makes it's really hard to cheat and has a nice platform to create assessments. Students have to work efficiently on tests or assessments because the program locks them out quickly if they do not. I'm also able to see and view the data with ease. Both longitudinal and currently.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that there was an easier way to create assessments. As a school counselor I use this for pre/post tests often with my classroom lessons and wish I could easily upload instead of having to cut, paste, drag, etc. Also, finding old assessments is challenging at times and could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you allow yourself time to create the assessments and then give yourself plenty of time to find them it's a pretty good system to use to block out cheating and give accurate, reliable data quickly.

Cheating, cheating, cheating. I don't have a huge issue with this as a school counselor, but have been able to recommend this program to teachers to eliminate any issue or temptation.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"PowerSchool is the de facto standard when it comes to student information systems. "

What do you like best?

PowerSchool has outstanding customer support and a rock solid student information system. I love the fact that I never have to worry about about our student information systems reliability. It just works. We can customize and have access to all kinds of reports and our school would be lost without it. The features with in powerschool are robust. PowerSchool listens to feedback and tries to implement the features needed.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how PowerSchool is a little behind the times when it comes to standards based grading and proficiency based education. PowerSchool currently is lacking in longitudinal tracking of standards. They are making improvements, but I wish a course could be entirely standards based - not requiring a tie to traditional grading. This isn't really a dislike, but I don't entirely like the learning curve required to fully master the software. There are SO many features and calculations that the system is capable of, it is hard to master/know them all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a rock solid platform with amazing customizability and the best support I have ever experienced, go with power school!

PowerSchool makes us more efficient and gives us an opportunity to store all student data in one central location. We can even create customizations that really make the system limitless as to what we can store for information.

User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Very useful assessment too"

What do you like best?

I appreciate how powerschool lets me post assessments right in the assignment pages to make it easier for students to find. I appreciate how the multiple choice tests can be autograded and input straight into the gradebook, which makes it less time-consuming for me.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how it's unclear when students are able to see their scores and when they're not - sometimes the assignment is still open and I think students can't see their scores, but they can.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you understand when students can see their grades and when they can't before you begin grading quizzes/tests

I'm using it to get quick data on students abilities

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Tracey L.
Tracey L.

"Student Data at Glance"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to navigate and find most information on a student. Everything is well organized making it very simple to add/register new students. Documents (like birth certificates can be scanned and added to a child's registration meaning paper copes do not have to be kept and the child's privacy is maintained.

What do you dislike?

Running multiple student reports or queries can be a bit difficult if you are unsure of the fields you need to search.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very good system but requires some training for proficiency.

TIme management issues come into play as it is much easier and faster to do attendance, run report cards in a batch, create courses/sections or register groups into those courses/sections. I get my work done much faster.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Jeff C.
Jeff C.

"Helping our school become more efficient with data."

What do you like best?

Our instance of Powerschool is hosted directly from Powerschool LLC which has made maintenance and connectivity much easier than with previous systems. Also there's a huge array of customization options to help tailor your Powerschool server to fit your schools' needs (depending on the level of change this may require an in house HTML specialist or work with a 3rd party to help facilitate this).

What do you dislike?

Calling support may not yield the results I need but they certainly have been improving the support line since moving from Pearson.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The three biggest takeaways when considering Powerschool are:

-You need to connect with the a 3rd party to help you with issues with Powerschool support may not be able to help you with. We use Marcia Brenner out of Madison, WI and they do most of our large customization as well as using them as a second opinion when needing Powerschool support. We would have been completely lost in our first using Powerschool without them.

-Each portal (admin, teacher, and family) will require some degree of support and we've found that having the same person facilitate for all three can be an overwhelming experience. We've set the expectation so that each portal has it's own designated support contacts who then escalate problems as needed to the "Technical Contacts" who have the ability to call Powerschool support when necessary.

-If you're looking to connect Powerschool demographic info to your nursing, special education, autocall or other applications you'll want to call and hear from these teams directly that it is possible. We had issues in the past with the sales reps telling us integration absolutely would be possible but when pressed for instructions on how to do so they fall short on helping with this.

Since moving to Powerschool our community has drastically improved some of our "bad-data" habits from years past. Practically out of the box we were able to configure accounts so that those who need to enter data have full access when needed whereas others who simply need to view data are locked out from making accidental changes. This new model of data ownership coupled with Powerschool's ability to send demographic information to our other applications has made our school a more efficient K-12 entity.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Michael B.
Michael B.

"Easy to Use Database for our Schools"

What do you like best?

I can find information on any students easily in Powerschool Powerschool allows us to work with Clever to create accounts that are consistent across all software and applications that we use. Powerschool helps us with attendance, grading, accounts, and even in the cafeteria. Anything I need, I can find in Powerschool and it is even helpful for parents. Powerschool is great for parents, students, teachers, and all other employees district-wide.

What do you dislike?

Our Powerschool systems seems to go down multiple times a week. Working as a technician, I hear complaints often about teachers not being able to login. This means that our teachers cannot submit attendance or a record of how many lunches need to be made. Sure, previously we did all of this by hand, but when paying for this service, we want to be able to use the service seamlessly and consistently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be aware that the system will go down and that you need to have alternatives to everything you do in Powerschool in the case that it is not stable for you.

We have had many benefits from Powerschool. We are able to set up our own standards in Powerschool's gradebook. Teachers are able to take attendance and report numbers for lunch. It helps our technology department account for all students and their student accounts. For parents, they have access to information on their child from home. Administrators and classified staff also had the necessary information they needed in regards to detail on children in one organized place. Powerschool is the glue that keeps us together.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Yehuda K.
Yehuda K.

"Getting better since acquisition "

What do you like best?

PowerSchool has almost all the features any school should need in a SIS program. We use the PS hosted version, which may have some differences from the on-premise version. The new independant PowerSchool company is making great strides towards modernizing and making the system easier to use.

What do you dislike?

Downtime recently due to attacks on the PS infrastructure, uptime hasn't been as good as usual. There are some features that were very hard to use, but the number of those decreases as the new management fixes them up. Some customizations such as reports that would be trivial database queries are too hard to create in the existing system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't let a sales demo fool you - when you implement PowerSchool, there will be a huge amount of customization needed to make it fully usable.

We had no centralized SIS for our 3 school divisions in two locations. Now almost all our information is centralized.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Karen B.
Karen B.

"10 years of PowerSchool "

What do you like best?

We have been using PowerSchool at our small private high school for almost 10 years. I have worked with PowerSchool at a PS administrator, registrar and teacher. Tech support has been a life saver for me several times. They are always knowledgeable and helpful. As a teacher I love the new PowerTeacher Pro grade book.

What do you dislike?

We had some problems with PowerSchool being down in the beginning when we had our own server but since we have switched to be hosted by PowerSchool we have not had these problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend PowerSchool. The improvements they have made and plan to make in the future make it the best SIS out there.

PowerSchool helps the students and parents to quickly know their grades and assignments.

"PowerSchool User"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that you have access to other school's information state wide. This comes in handy when enrolling new students, you can see their demographic information, their grade history, subjects they have passed and completed and discipline records. I also find the different ways to search for students, You can either put there name in but if you don't know there name you can put in a simple formula to find who you are looking for.

What do you dislike?

PowerSchool does not always give you what you want or it does not pick up all the information you want. This is a flaw that they are working on but has not quite been fixed. Discipline records for students are hard to print if you want to print a complete list can be challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have the support you need from PowerSchool when you need it. Make sure you have all your questions answered before running the program. Make sure the information you need is complete and will run on PowerSchool correctly for you before letting all of your employees use it.

Now we have doors open to obtain the records state wide for students where before other software was not possible, that is a big benefit. The many choices of reports you can run has also been Beneficial.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Brian R.
Brian R.

"Good Idea Doomed By Clunky Interface"

What do you like best?

The concept of the one stop dashboard and control for Powerschool is great and has a lot of potential

What do you dislike?

The user interface is very clunky, difficult to navigate and customize. After almost a year’s worth of use, I am still struggling to efficiently navigate the program.

We primarily use Unified Classroom for student data management and grading

PowerSchool Student Information System review by User in Civic & Social Organization
User in Civic & Social Organization

"Great way for students to keep track of grades"

What do you like best?

When I was a high school student, my school used powerschool, and I loved the visibility that powerschool brought to students. I loved that I knew what my grades were on what assignments, and that I could easily see if I was falling behind early on in the semester, and make proactive plans to change that.

What do you dislike?

At the time I was using powerschool, I wish that teachers could've provided more detailed comments/feedback on individual grades. This could've changed since when I was using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely would recommend for schools to implement – I think it's a great way for both students and parents to track student progress.

It helped me become a more proactive, self-aware student - one who was able to take charge of my studies and know where I was succeeding and where I was struggling.

"PowerTeacher"

What do you like best?

Power school offers matrix to the teacher that calculate class averages.

What do you dislike?

Information is in many different places. it is hard to remember what information is where and even after a year of using it I still find my self just clinking away to find things. Also the system will not let you "forecast" a grade. if you what to see what a grade will do to the final average the grade must be published.

It is easy for parents and students to view their grade and progress in the classes.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Natalie B.
Natalie B.

"Very useful, but could be a bit more user friendly"

What do you like best?

This tool is perfect for any style of class schedule and makes taking roll and grading easy.

What do you dislike?

It is not always quick and easy to navigate and there are times when this program freezes for no reason (Although that could be due to our school internet).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you give yourself a few days of leeway before grades are due, as this program does sometimes freeze or need updating.

Paper grade books are a thing of the past. This is much more useful and helps me keep track so I always know when a student is missing an assignment.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by User

"Useful data"

What do you like best?

I like that you can pull student information easily and help see where different academic plans are. It is also a good way to pull different data reports and figure out different ways of tracking data.

What do you dislike?

There is no way to comment or track information from the administrator side. This is offered on more expensive versions, but needs to be offered at the lowest level as well as some companies do not purchase the more expensive version.

Able to easily track data and pull reports. It is quicker than calculating things by hand.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Steve D.
Steve D.

"PowerSchool - flexible, powerful student information/grading program"

What do you like best?

Great out of the box, and can be customized to further fit your needs, by you and not as expensive add-ons. User community is incredible.

Gradebook, while right now a Java app, is able to handle many different grading concepts, from traditional to standards based, using whatever scale or scales you want to set up. Looking forward to the new, non-Java, gradebook coming soon.

What do you dislike?

Parent/guardian contact system is woefully old fashioned. This is helped by the fact that there are many customizations out there to help, but it really needs to be included in the core system better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a powerful too, get lots of training, and seek help from the community for questions. Anything with so many options and capabilities will have a large learning curve.

Better data on our students, better assessment of their progress, better communication to students and parents.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Cobren G.
Cobren G.

"PowerSchool"

What do you like best?

This program is relatively easy to use for attendance, grading and tracking basic student information.

What do you dislike?

The program does not yet have an mobile teacher app for androids.

Because the program allows teachers to see a student's attendance across classes, we have been able to cut down the number of students who try to skip class.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Patrick B.
Patrick B.

"Education Management"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool allows me to set up pages that are visible to students and parents alike, and it also gives me access to school info and calendars, parent and student info (e.g. directories), and a host of other info. It seems to be very customizable, so it has the potential to be really powerful in the right hands.

What do you dislike?

I'm not the administrator at my school, so I have to request permissions. That said, our tech folks can immediately give me access to whatever I need.

We're trying to streamline communication, to keep parents, students, and teachers all informed on a centralized platform.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Jillian J.
Jillian J.

"Great site"

What do you like best?

This is a very easy system to use for both schools and parents

What do you dislike?

Some reports are difficult to run or find

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the dummy sign in screen to play around in the system before you get started.

Everyone is on the same system which makes things run smoothly. It is also easier for parents to see grades and homework making communication much nicer.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Terry C. W.
Terry C. W.

"PowerSchool for the win."

What do you like best?

PowerSchool comes out ahead both on the ability to customize and their growing focus on bringing all the needs of a school into one system. They have always been in the forefront of making various systems needed by a school "talk" to each other, with their new focus on an all encompassing system, we no longer have to worry about getting everything to "talk" It does so by design.

What do you dislike?

I love the customization available within PowerSchool, but it can sometimes be difficult to track exactly what has been changed and how that change may effect something else.

Our previous SIS had significant limitations with regards to reporting and flexibility. As a small, non public school, our needs were not the same as larger school districts. PowerSchool lets us focus our energy on just those pieces of the system that are beneficial to us.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Raven M.
Raven M.

"Pro makes it so much easier..."

What do you like best?

Powerschool pro makes the interface so much better. Adding assignments and submitting grades are much easier tasks.

What do you dislike?

The original grade book had some issues. Submitting grades and updating grades caused issues with stored grades on central office's end.

As an educator, it makes my job of grading and calculating much smoother. Students and parents can log in from their end and get access to student grades in realtime.

"Power School Review"

What do you like best?

Basic needs met through this - attendance and grading. Connects/adapts easily to iPad and iPhone (the app works well).

What do you dislike?

It does not have a communication piece that we can use. If we want to email parents we have to find the students info, find the email, then in our own email system, start/send the email. Would also be nice if it could integrate with Planbook somehow. Would connect/align graded assignments with standards that students are being taught.

Recommendations to others considering the product

integration of standards with grading

We use Power School for grading, attendance, lunch count and student information.

Administrator in Education Management

"5 Years using PowerSchool"

What do you like best?

We like the use of the state reporting. It is set up for our specific state. I also like PowerSource to get helpful information from other users.

What do you dislike?

Too big of a program for one school. We are a k-8 charter school and we use as much of the program as we can but there is so much of it we do not use because it is a system for a school district.

It would be nice to have student data auto populate all fields.

It would be helpful if student information could be set up in one area like the state information is using tabs across the top instead of always switching back to the the Student Selection Page and then going to demographics, family, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have Pearson host the service.

Fee collections.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Anthony G.
Anthony G.

"PowerSchool is a must for teachers "

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is a great way to keep teachers, parents, and students up to date with grades and assignments daily.

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything that I do not like about PowerSchool.

It makes a world of a difference between parent/teacher communication. Older children are now able to be more accountable for assignments and grades because they can easily monitor them daily.