PowerSchool Student Information System

PowerSchool Student Information System

(277 reviews)

PowerSchool provides the full range of features needed by administrators at the district and school level in addition to portals for teachers, parents, and students.

Work for PowerSchool Student Information System?

Learning about PowerSchool Student Information System?

PowerSchool Student Information System Reviews

Ask PowerSchool Student Information System a Question
Showing 280 PowerSchool Student Information System reviews
PowerSchool Student Information System review by Steve B.
Steve B.

"PowerSchool SIS"

What do you like best?

I like how everything in integrated. Having the teacher gradebook and the parent access integrated within the SIS is wonderful. The web solution has been one of the most rewarding parts. We no longer have to have it as a local software. Having our state reporting as a part of the software is also a wonderful solution. PowerSchool's state reporting team stay abreast of all the required state mandates and they keep the software up to date regularly. The upgrade and maintenance releases also has been solid. If there is a bug in a software release, their team is right on it and get a fix out fairly quickly! They have a very aggressive support team that works aggressively whenever you have a problem or need assistance in working in the software. I really like the opportunity for training yearly that PowerSchool puts on called PowerSchool University. We have the opportunity to work hand in had with the support team, developers and the training team. The training is wonderful!

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider getting some training on sql. It is not necessary but is helpful for using a developer software to plug into for difficult querries.

It provides a well round view of a student's performance. Having a longitudinal look at the data is very beneficial.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about PowerSchool Student Information System
PowerSchool Student Information System review by Robyn B.
Robyn B.

"Our school would not function without PowerSchool."

What do you like best?

PowerSchool allows our staff to input academic and behavioral data for our students, and these updates can be viewed by all, including parents, in real time. As the school social worker, I review this data during sessions with my students, and it's helpful to see their most updated grades and most recent behavioral infractions. PowerSchool allows me to be responsive to my students' day-to-day behavior, which at middle school, is always in a state of flux.

What do you dislike?

PowerSchool has the potential to be a great tool for the parents of our students. When working with our students, we do not work in a vacuum, and the alignment between home and school is a key leverage. On PowerSchool, each student is given an individual key that a parent can use to create their own PowerSchool account. In order to protect the privacy of this account, we, as a school, rightfully do not have access to a parent's login and password information once an account is created. Unfortunately, once a parent loses their login information, we have to point them to a third-party to recover their information, which is oftentimes cumbersome and confusing. If there was a way that a parent could easily reset their password, and there was a way we as a staff could facilitate the reset, that would be helpful. Many of our parents do not have access to a computer at home, and access PowerSchool on their phones, and many staff use their work laptops to help parents set up an account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like all software, training new staff on how to use PowerSchool takes time. Fortunately, when inputting log entries, all staff can create, edit, or delete an entry. This flexible feature is important, especially when needing to correct student data quickly.

Using the data inputted by all my colleagues who work with a student, we are allowed to easily glean academic and behavioral trends from the aggregate on PowerSchool. As a social worker, this allows me to identify areas of intervention. With the high number of students with whom I work, PowerSchool is invaluable.

What K-12 Student Information Systems solution do you use?

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Matthew G.
Matthew G.

"Relatively easy to use, but lacks many features"

What do you like best?

I like how the program is relatively easy to use. The iPhone app also is extremely convenient to check attendance or look at a class roster when my computer is being used or unavailable. Printing progress reports for students is also an easy task to complete

What do you dislike?

The system we are currently using lacks many of the main important features. We cannot log detentions or parent contact via powerschool. These things would be extremely helpful. The interface could also be a little more user friendly. Making a new seating chart or trying to print in a normal-sized window does not always prove to be easy.

The program is utilized on a daily basis for procedural tasks (attendance, seating chart, grades, class roster, etc.). We also use the java plug-in grade book via powerschool so that all of the grades are linked into one system.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Rebecca G.
Rebecca G.

"Powerschool is user friendly!"

What do you like best?

I like that powerschol has an app that I can upload student grades on my phone! It is available to use wherever I go! I also like that I can do use the website easily on a mac and a dell. If you are using it on a mac, you will have to download an excel form so make sure you name it in a way you will remember.

What do you dislike?

I can only see one of my classes on the app because you can only put one teacher down as the "lead teacher". Because of this, I can only see my main class's grades on my phone rather than both classes. If you could put two teachers as a lead teacher, everybody can upload grades anywhere they are!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend first putting the grades as points if your assessment is in points and then converting it later to percent. If your grade is an "easy number", you can submit it directly as a percent. I would also make sure if you are using this on a mac, then you save the documents until the end of marking period so you can refer back to the original document if you need to. I would save it in folder that is named powerschool as well.

You can put grades and see student attendance and personal information all in one app! I do not have to open different websites or platforms when I want information about my students.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"Online Testing Leads to Disaster"

What do you like best?

The grading system is pretty standard. It's nice that it keeps you from awarding more points than an assignment is worth. (You can't award 1000 points for a 100 point assignment).

What do you dislike?

Attempting to use the PowerSchool online testing feature was a total disaster. I could not retrieve the grades after the assessment was taken by my students. I spoke to tech support, but no solution was found. A month passed and I had to exempt all students from a major test in my class at the end of the term.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't get it. Choose another product.

PowerSchool, like every other product of this type, lets parents and teachers connect and monitor grades. It is completely indistinguishable from its competitors in what it does well and is particularly bad at what it does bad.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Taylor H.
Taylor H.

"Powerschool a great took for educators!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can see all of the information I may need for my students at the click of a link.

What do you dislike?

I wish it could generate lists! It would be nice to be able to make a list from the information found on Powerschool in order to give to parents or have on hand more often.

We are solving attendace and lunch count issues with Powerschool, finding important student information, class lists, and alerts. I have realize that I can go to one place for all the information I need on a student in a very short amount of time.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Sarah M.
Sarah M.

"This is my 2nd year using powerschool for report cards and daily lunch and attendance."

What do you like best?

I like that the grading system can be done in points or percentage by choosing it from the drop down. I also like that you can weight certain grades to be worth more. The student information is very easily assessable and can easily turn into labels or different reports.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how the strand under each grade doesn't always correlate with their actual letter grade. Often times the overall grade will be a P (proficient) and then students will have a 1 under several of the strands.

We have realized that we can not edit certain categories like test, homework, quiz, and etc. The benefits are allowing for grade parent communication. Other teachers at my school dislike that we cannot control turning the parent portal on and off.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Louise M.
Louise M.

"Smooth operation"

What do you like best?

Super easy interface to learn. Very smooth to operate.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! Especially if you are new to computerized education management systems, this one is easy to navigate and easy to learn even for those who aren't tech-savvy. Take the plunge, you won't look back! Even if you decide to change to a different platform later on in the game, this is, as I mentioned, a very good starting point for any school or educational institute. Everybody's data captured and in one place. This makes it easier for administrative staff to evaluate and check up on data.

In Education, it's important to have a great management system. Powerschool does that effectively.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Frances D.
Frances D.

"PowerSchool"

What do you like best?

I love the customization possibilities and that fact that PowerSchool is responsive to the requests of customers. The support has been very good. We have usually been able to get the product to do what we need.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes difficult for our admin staff to get out the data they need. PowerSchool has definitely been addressing this and creating solutions that make it easier for someone who is not a database person to get the information they need out of the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can add customizations to PowerSchool. Many are already created for you by other users and are easy to load into the system.

State reporting has been much easier with PowerSchool

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Charles T.
Charles T.

"PowerSchool SIS"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool provides a web based student information system that is easy to use and maintain. We leverage the ability to customize the system and user interface, including access to core data using ODBC and APIs for external solutions that we either purchase or build ourselves. The combination of a student management system and a grade book is being expanded with the acquisition of Haiku for a learning management system as well as improvements to the data and assessment elements that can now be connected to PowerSchool.

What do you dislike?

Over the course of the history of PowerSchool, which began as a small startup company, there have been multiple companies owning PowerSchool (including Apple and Pearson). The change from one parent company to another has occasionally resulted in frustrations with the support structure and the talent for technical support offered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with all major implementations check that the solution meets your needs, that you have the right skills internally to maintain the system or funding to provide for external support.

This is our Student Information System for all student and staff data, school scheduling, grades, attendance, state reporting, and custom data tracking. Our intent is to include the new learning management system and the data/assessment pieces for common formative assessments and interim assesments.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Jennifer K.
Jennifer K.

"A Teachers Life Made Easy"

What do you like best?

I really like the fact that so many facets from attendance to grading and so many things in-between are available through this one program!

What do you dislike?

There isn't much with PowerSchool that I dislike. I do IB grading and a spot for that would be nice, but isn't necessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is my opinion that every school should use PowerSchool. It houses so many aspects of a teachers daily routines and information that we have to keep up with in one place, that it's worth every penny!

I'm solving the problem of having to use a variety of different programs to take attendance, do grading, keep track of medical alerts, parents info, students info, by simply using this one program. The benefits of using just PowerSchool have enabled me to save time and quickly find what I need.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Barbara A.
Barbara A.

"All Access SIS"

What do you like best?

I like the instant feedback available to parents and students via Gradebook. Data entry is simple and quick. Easy to enter assignments for large group of students. Really enjoy being able to provide attendance data in real time. Helpful for students and parents to track absences. Overall, parent feedback is positive. Many features available, the software is somewhat pliable to fit teacher/school needs.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were a way to adjust values for assignments not yet entered - I received panicked messages from parents when a student is absent/a grade isn't entered and the resulting 0 temporarily lowers the grade. There was a steep learning curve and those that are not naturally tech-savvy are sometimes hesitant to learn. Once learned, it is a very feature rich SIS system.

We enjoy the benefits of having everything available in real time. It has allowed students to be more self-sufficient and in charge of their grade data. Parents no longer email requesting grade updates.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by User

"Useful data"

What do you like best?

I like that you can pull student information easily and help see where different academic plans are. It is also a good way to pull different data reports and figure out different ways of tracking data.

What do you dislike?

There is no way to comment or track information from the administrator side. This is offered on more expensive versions, but needs to be offered at the lowest level as well as some companies do not purchase the more expensive version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It allows you to get a large amount of information at one time which is helpful when working in a large organization.

Able to easily track data and pull reports. It is quicker than calculating things by hand. It is also easier to collect enrollment data and view disparities that exist on a wider scale.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Angela T.
Angela T.

"Powerful communication with PowerSchool"

What do you like best?

Powerful connections with PS can occur between teacher, students, parents, and administrators. Counselors can access data across the District. There is no delay when transferring between our schools- it makes this process seamless.

What do you dislike?

The only problem is that parents do not automatically get access upon registration of students. They have to have a person physically look up their access info and send home a temp password.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This will make all users connected with grades, demographics, and disciplinary information.

We are finally connecting student information with parental support and tying in proper disciplinary logs with details and consequences.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Rebecca M.
Rebecca M.

"PowerSchool Haiku For the Win"

What do you like best?

Haiku is the perfect private website to share content with students without the fear of their identities being revealed to the wider world. I am able to share classroom photos and student work without the worry of their privacy being violated. Students are able to send emails to me for help, and I am able to respond quickly and easily. There are many features like polls and assignments that help me to stay organized and items like the calendar help students to know what assignments are coming up next. Best off all, content can be saved from year to year, so I am not having to recreate something new every time I complete a lesson.

What do you dislike?

There are few things I dislike, but the biggest is the lack of a quality mobile app. When logging in from my phone to respond, is not mobile friendly, therefore I am stuck scrolling and often make mistakes. This does cause issues when trying to respond to student emails as they occasionally do not send due to the unease of clicking submit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is perfect for use by various individuals across an organization as well as for use by various administrators.

Needing various single spots to share information with various groups has been the biggest challenge in finding a produce like PowerSchool. PowerSchool Haiku has allowed our organization to have separate online spaces for various groups. For example, each teacher is able to have a specific page for their own classroom, as well as the school having one for parents, various grade levels, and sports teams. These benefits are so valuable because parents and students are able to find information in one spot, and know that the information is secure and hidden from public view.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Sarah R.
Sarah R.

"My Favorite Student Data System"

What do you like best?

I love Power School because all of our student data needs are stored in one location. We no longer have multiple programs for grading, demographics, and scheduling. Everything is done in one program.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes Power School can be slow to release new features or fix bugs in the program. For example, just today I was having problems with the recommendation feature for scheduling. They had to escalate my issue and ended up not having a solution for it at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program does take some getting used to as it is different from all other products that I have used. Know that there will be a learning curve for admin as well as staff using it. Be patient.

We are managing our state reporting, student data, and staff information all in one location. The ability to have single sign on for all these features is something you cannot put a price on .

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Agency in Education Management
Agency in Education Management

"PowerSchool is a student information system that is constantly improving with need."

What do you like best?

I like that the company listens to its users and makes enhancements based on request as well as leaving things to be customized by the end user if desired. Once proper training has been received it is very to use the software as well. There are also many user groups that share ideas/customization and reports throughout the country. This can be very useful.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there seems to be a lot of customizing to make the product work but when it is so widely used it is understandable. Also, if proper training is not set up then the end user may have difficulty in setting up the software and utilizing it properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you find out what training to begin with and have all users set up within PowerSource to be able to utilize Mastery in Minutes/search for answers from the community as well as add/vote on enhancements. Go to user group meetings, especially ones specific to your state so that you can make sure you are utilizing it to coincide with your state requirements.

We can generate the student information/reports that we need in order to provide the reporting we need.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by William W.
William W.

"Powerschool for high schools "

What do you like best?

Powerschool does a lot of good things for keeping track of grades, informing parents and students and allowing teachers to vary the way they score grades.

What do you dislike?

The way we have it set up at our school report card and mid term comments re limited to a relatively small number of characters. I usually exceed the allowed number and have to edit my comments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

start slow - keep trying different options when you have time

Informing parents and students of current class standing, grade, and use email for communication.

I use Powerschool to help students see missed work and what they need to do to succeed.

I also use the assignment comment option to remind students what they did well or poorly on some assignments throughout the year.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Powerschool K-12 SIS great, but not the SPED side of it"

What do you like best?

Powerschool K-12 SIS is user friendly and runs some pretty handy reports

What do you dislike?

My work uses Powerschool as a K-12 SIS but also for special education to store, organize, and implement special education components (e.g, IEP, Eligibility, Parent Contacts, Prior Written Notices, etc.).... We were told that Powerschool K-12 SIS and Powerschool IEP(SPED) would communicate with each other which we thought would be perfect! However, Powerschool is basically building the program as we speak... as we are using it. They don't seem to have any knowledge about what is required from the school special education standpoint and ever since my work has signed up to use it a year ago we were promised that certain things would happen- those things have not happened. Certain features don't work or are working in error. This has caused major issues on my work end due to us having to make sure that we keep dates and times in order for reporting to the state-federal government. This impacts our funding. Powerschool has hired and fired people who work with us and the new people are putting blame on the old people. In the end, Powerschool IEP is not ever a program I would recommend and it is getting that I would not reccomend Powerschool in general.

Solving: place to store documents and organize information for students

Benefits Realized: None. Powerschool has made things even more unorganized and caused more headache due to errors and gliches which have resulted in double the amount of steps to make sure that a student's file is organized and correct.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"PowerSchool has been a great asset for my school community."

What do you like best?

What I like best about PowerSchool is the ability to change how I view my gradebook. I can look at one assignment at a time, a scoresheet for the whole class, or a profile for each individual student.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that things don't always fit on the page very nicely. Before PowerSchool became completely web-based, you could more easily view an entire group of students. They have done updates to improve this problem, but it does still happen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When using PowerSchool, take advantage of all of the features that will provide the most information to your students parents. Use the late, missing, absent, and completed buttons as well as the description field which will allow you to describe your assignment and add any extra information you'd like your parents to know.

We are using PowerSchool to run a report for all missing assignments, allowing us to reach the students who aren't finishing their work or who aren't turning it in. This is an intervention step for my school and it has dramatically reduced the amount of zeros our students have.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Saloni H.
Saloni H.

"Powerschool for educators is awesome!"

What do you like best?

Powerschool is great because you can have so many different kinds of accounts. At our school, we have one account-type for teachers, one account-type for students, and one account-type for the parents. It enables communication smoothly.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how you cannot use powerschool to submit assignments. It would be helpful if students could submit their assignments through powerschool and then teachers can enter grades while viewing submissions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend PowerSchool to schools who need to communicate to multiple parties.

Grading, scheduling, student contact information, student behavior problems, logging conference calls, communicating to parents, communicating to adminstration- all are problems that powerschool helps solve

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Karen H.
Karen H.

"Love/Hate Relationship (mostly hate)"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the platform. PowerSchool Assessment makes cheating nearly impossible. Students are completely locked out of everything. If they leave the program for more than 10 seconds (cumulative) the test locks.

What do you dislike?

Nearly everything else! I feel as if I am beta testing the earliest version of the software. However this is being used by my entire district. The navigation is terrible!

To view the test for my subjects

1) Click open to choose 9-12 math standards

2) Find & select Exams at the bottom of the page

3) Choose Post Test

This opens an alphabetical list of all of the schools in the district including elementary, middle, & high.

4) Find and select my school.

This opens a list of all of the math tests saved in my school's folder.

(This process is also needed in the Testing Center tab to assign & administer a test and then again in the Reporting to review the results)

PowerSchool Assessment takes tedious to another level.

Finding items to include on an exam is even more difficult. Items are found within standards. Some standards have 2000+ results. (Because of the 9-12 standards). There are limited filters that do little to help with selection. The filter lacks keyword, subject, & grade level options. The questions include naming conventions and symbols display DOK & question type. However, there is no way to preview the question without selecting or using the review items menu that displays items one at a time.

Writing items is also a difficult process. There are only 5 types of questions; fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, hot spot (multiple select), drag drop, and constructed response. PowerSchool Assessment requires the user to determine the layout of the question in the first step and this cannot be changed without starting over. Images can be uploaded, however size of the image cannot be adjusted after upload. This leads to another major issue, concerning image size. Some of the images displayed during testing are too small for students to use. This wouldn't be a major issue in most situations, but in testing mode PowerSchool Assessment prevents zooming. Another issue is limited support for entering equations. Students have access to an equation editor in constructed response, but not in fill-in-the-blank.

My colleagues and I have been disappointed in the provided content. Many of the questions "seem" like good questions until you look closer. The difficulty lies in the wording and not the actual content. It is easy to write a tricky assessment item that is difficult. It is difficult to write a quality question that requires deeper thinking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think this program will be great, but the key word here is WILL. It's just not ready for the consumer.

This program has basically eliminated cheating.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Sara J.
Sara J.

"Good transition to standards-based grading"

What do you like best?

I was skeptical when my district unrolled PowerSchool for more than just attendance management, but overall I think it's been a solid tool to maintain student records during the transition to standards-based report cards.

What do you dislike?

Many of the menus make it hard to see all of the features at once; there is a lot of scrolling. The UI is not the cleanest or most intuitive thing I have ever used.

PowerSchool has allowed my team to manage student record keeping relatively easily and track/filter student progress. It's well-integrated; a single home for all of the information we have to keep on students.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Robert M.
Robert M.

"Ease of access and nice interface"

What do you like best?

I like the navigation and ease of use compared to Edline. I particularly like the global view which shows a snapshot of all of my daughter's classes.

What do you dislike?

At the moment I have not run across anything I dislike. I also plan to look at the mobile versions of powerschool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it as it provides a very flexible level of management for keeping track of classes and the system simple and quick.

I have near real time awareness of my daughters performance and can help her keep track of her grades and communicate directly with her teachers in a timely manner.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Joyce K.
Joyce K.

"PowerSchool "

What do you like best?

We love PowerSchool. We have been able to customize it to meet our needs. Our teachers, counselors, and administrators as well as our students and parents are very happy with with the PowerSchool Learning Management module. Users find navigation intuitive. It interfaces seamlessly with our PowerSchool SIS. Teachers have set up class and club pages to communicate with students and their parents. Administrators can “shadow” students and teachers to find out what is happening. Parents can see when major tests are scheduled or projects are due. Rosters are updated automatically three times a day so students and parents will see correct information when the student changes classes. There are dozens of videos and how-to instructions available about how to use various features such as blogs, wikis, polling, and much more. It helps build collaboration among teachers and administrators and provides data for supporting decisions with analytics.

What do you dislike?

The grading section does not yet allow for categories of grades as PowerSchool does. Therefore, we cannot accurately reflect the students' grades in the Learning Management module. Parents have to look at assignments in the LMS and then go to PowerSchool to see averaged grades. It will be wonderful when they can get this piece in place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerSchool is constantly improving. We think this LMS is well worth the investment. All of our constituents love it. I have not heard one complaint.

Teachers are using far less paper and ink, not to mention their time by distributing handouts via the PowerSchool LMS. Our administrators and our Guidance Counselors like being able to distribute information this way too, but what they like even more is the fact that they can "shadow" a student or teacher and see exactly what is on the teachers' sites and what documents students are receiving and doing. Students and parents like have all of their assignments and due dates in one place

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Bradley S.
Bradley S.

"Great Mobile Apps, Integration, and customizations"

What do you like best?

The PowerSchool Teacher, Student and Parent Mobile apps are modern and rich in features. This is an area we found sorely lacking in many other SIS solutions. Our parents LOVE IT!

We are able to integrate almost any education system we come across. Meal Tracking, Online Enrollment, Online Payments, Special Education solutions, LMS and much more. This is huge!

What do you dislike?

Only a few database fields are problematic. One is the Student E-Mail field. It's fine in all core areas of PowerSchool. But it's very difficult to interact with 3rd party integrations. There are work arounds, but it should be a lot better. Especially in a district that controls the email account of the student. It's a silly dislike and minor honestly, but a real one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upon implementation, have a team ready.

Where to start! You can integrate with so much. LMS solutions can auto populate teachers, students and classes. Our online enrollment system can enroll students without double entry. Parents can pay balances using our 3rd Party integration with our Credit Card merchant. Every time I need an export for photo day, 3rd party assessments, or the like, PowerSchool can do that for me without a call to support. It's customizable and open enough to make it do what we want the way we want.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by David M.
David M.

"Great SIS with potential to grow"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is rock solid reliable! We have been running it for about 10 years now and have never encountered an issue with the software that would cause our day-to-day operations to suffer.

In addition to reliability, PowerSchool was built to grow. It is a web-based product that allows end-user customization of nearly every data entry screen. There are many outside vendors that have established a relationship with PowerSchool (ISV Partners) that offer other products which integrate wonderfully with PowerSchool. Finally, the database is Oracle and completely accessible to the administrative users to run complex queries on the data.

What do you dislike?

The historical database is not as robust as I would like. Not all data can be viewed as it existed at a certain point in time (for example, there is no way to know where a particular student resided last year ... only where they currently reside).

PowerSchool is our most business-critical system. It contains all student information records, including special education and state reporting data. Additionally, it is the backbone for other vendor software that we are using for lunches, health information, parent and community communication, and Google Classroom sync.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Natalie G.
Natalie G.

"The Power of PowerSchool"

What do you like best?

I like that students are able to view their grades and attendance in their courses. I also like that PowerSchool bought Haiku and I'm able to put on the PowerSchool Learning site information for students to review whether they've been out or if they need extra time with materials.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is the power outages that seem to happen randomly.

Students not having access to materials when they're absent or students not knowing their grades. This solves the problem for students who are frequently absent for various reasons. Additionally, since NC doesn't buy textbooks, PowerSchool Learning allows students to have access to materials that are deemed necessary and relevant from anywhere there's internet access.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Rachel K.
Rachel K.

"PowerSchool- When its working its great"

What do you like best?

Powerschool was always easy for me to submit information for my students. I also liked that I could look up information on my students if I had a concern. As a kindergarten teacher, I did not have to submit my grades through PowerSchool. My colleagues that did submit their grades praised the ease of use. They never had issues with getting their grades placed into PowerSchool. It is also nice that PowerSchool allows parents to check their child's grades from home.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like that PowerSchool had so many maintenance days. It seemed to be down more than it was up towards the end of the year. It was frustrating to go through the channels to login and not be able to do what I needed to do. I think they layout could also be improved to be more teacher friendly. Sometimes you had to click through multiple channels to get to what you were looking for. Also, the tabs were very small and things became muddled when searching for a specific area..

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerSchool, overall, is a good resource for educators as it has all the information in one area. It is concise and fairly easy to use.

PowerSchool is a business information system that works primarily with student data. Its cohesive in having student data and record keeping attendance.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Michelle K.
Michelle K.

"Great resource, but encounters glitches"

What do you like best?

I love how easy powerschool is to use. It seems like our school is constantly adding new technology to get the job done and I quite honestly don't have the time or patience to learn how to submit report cards for the millionth time. Power school is fairly user friendly.

What do you dislike?

There are constant outages. Our network admins are constantly sending out emails about how powerschool or haiku (a feature we use) is down. It makes it incredibly difficult when we are encouraged to put all of our lessons onto haiku, yet we can't access them sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that others use power school, but do not rely on it for everything as your admin wants you to do. Sometimes power school is down and it can be difficult if all of your lessons and admin functions are reliant on power school.

We are able to communicate with parents via powerschool. When grades are uploaded they are instantly accessible to parents and students. I almost wish it weren't so instantaneous.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education
Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"It's a student information system"

What do you like best?

The improvements made to the system.

I've been working with this product for over 10 years now. If I was writing this review 10 years ago I would have told you to stay as far away as possible. However, considerable progress has been made over the years and it's now a pretty solid and reliable system. Almost every new release improves my opinion of it.

What do you dislike?

Support can sometimes be a huge hassle for anything beyond the basic questions (most of my calls to support end up at Tier 3 or development). Once you create a support ticket you have no way to contact the person working on the issue except through their ticketing system. When they 'escalate' a ticket to Tier 2 or Tier 3, you have to wait for them to call you. If it's not an urgent issue, this can sometimes take days. This can be extremely frustrating when your dealing with an issue that is making the system unusable.

That being said, once you do talk to the necessary support Tier they are usually pretty good about resolving the problems and working with you.

It's Java based... If it was only the server this wouldn't be a huge issue but there are several client applications which are also Java based. The grade book (which was recently replaced with a new HTML5 version) has always been a pain to get working on some machines. Java updates would frequently break it.

The database structure still has a lot of crap left over from the early database designed (PowerSchool was using a 4D database when I first started using it). Many of these database tables do not have foreign key constraints which can lead to some funky data showing up if things get past the application validation.

System is used to store almost all of our basic student information along with attendance, grades, health records. The incident management system is also pretty well designed.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Effeciently Enter and Share Grades"

What do you like best?

It's easy to create an assignment and copy it to other classes. I can customize how many points items are worth, and it's simple to add extra credit. Students receive their own log-in and parents can also receive accounts. This means that students/ families can always know their grade/ find out missing assignments. The interface is easy to navigate. Once I learned how to create groups, it's a function that I appreciate being able to use.

What do you dislike?

I know that there are going to be updates to the software very soon. But I currently do not like the fact that the Gradebook component of the program must run on my laptop/ computer instead of being accessible through the website. It would be helpful to have an app that actually works (both for teachers and for students/ families). Finally, I wish there was a function so automatically sort students based on grades (especially failing/ not failing).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great system for keeping track of student grades and progress, not just for teachers, but for students, families, and their administrators as well. I primarily use the Gradebook function, but the other features of it can be beneficial for school-wide systems and procedures that are maintained by administrators and office staff.

The greatest benefit for this program in a school is the ease of communication with families and students regarding their grades. A student's end of term grade should never be a surprise, because students have access to their grades at all times.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Eliza C.
Eliza C.

"I used Powerschool on a daily basis to look up student information & complete work tasks."

What do you like best?

I liked the options of sorting through each category. For instance when I needed to look at only the 5th graders I was able to separate it by category instead of weeding through all the students. I also liked that we were able to collaborate with other colleagues at the same time.

What do you dislike?

When Powerschool was down it was really frustrating because there was nothing I could do and it was very challenging to communicate the issues I was having with the Powerschool expert. Because my job is solely dependent on Powerschool when I needed to print a report or look something up and the database was not running well it made it very hard to get what I needed to done.

This past year I used Powerschool a lot for registering students and I appreciated the use of the tools it provided to allow me to access the requests while the middle school counselors accessed it.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Comprehensive with a variety of options"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool's interface is straightforward, clean, and easy to use. I appreciate the way options are organized--from finding a student's grades to managing assignments, grades, comments, etc. Also, as a Canvas user, I appreciate that I can import grades from Canvas into PowerSchool and also include links and comments for students and parents to view. I also like the different grade scale options as well as icons that indicate whether an assignment has been collected or is late/missing.

What do you dislike?

I wish the seating chart option was a little less clunky aesthetically. I do appreciate the photos though. Also, I wish there could be an option for when a teacher wants an assignment and all the grade school to go live for students and parents to see. When I grade major assignments, it takes me a while to get through 100+ grades and comments. I like to put in grades as I grade, but I usually hold off because then students and parents wonder why they don't have a grade or comment yet...

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely give PS a try and also see what other options they offer (with different payment tiers).

As a teacher, it's important that I can have transparent communication about grades with all stakeholders. PowerSchool is a nice way to do that since it gives teachers the option to provide links and comments for each assignment.

Administrator in Education Management

"Powerful, but very daunting"

What do you like best?

PS has the potential to house pretty much all important student data.

What do you dislike?

Customizing for an individual District/School is very intensive and requires a high level of specific knowledge. I am the 3rd PS administrator since our district began using PowerSchool and we still are not anywhere near fully tapping it's potential.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerSchool is very helpful if you know what you want to achieve. It requires a LOT of detailed knowledge about your school/district in order to really function in an optimal way, so make sure you have the time and personnel to invest in setup.

Centralized data management has been extremely helpful. What has still proved difficult is merging our SIS with Moodle, where to keep our instructional data.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Margaret N.
Margaret N.

"Nothing does it better..."

What do you like best?

The data reporting and the ease of access to longitudinal data can not be currently beat. I believe that Powerschools give excellent information on the assessments my teachers give in my District and school. Additionally, with the partnership with Powerschools and our state we are able to see longitudinal data that we have not been able to access so easily in the past. They are also open to feedback, and truly with their improvements in recent months, have been listening to their clients.

What do you dislike?

The ease of creating an assessment, especially with graphics, could be improved. Having to snip, save, and import seems to add extra work when copying and pasting would be quicker.

I work with analyzing the data for my District for a particular content area. This helps us analyze data more thoroughly and efficiently.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by User

"Streamlined Grading System"

What do you like best?

The quick lookups of student demographics and schedules are very useful. Quick buttons for grading options are also handy. Being able to make seating charts and arrange students just by clicking and dragging is very helpful with rowdy classes that change frequently.

What do you dislike?

Individual teachers are unable to rename or group classes in certain ways. I have 1700 students and it is difficult to organize them all in a way that is useful. There should be an easy to use PS app so that teachers can download it and have it on their phones if and when the internet goes down. The "reports" section of the product is very disorganized and confusing still. For example if I need to run certain reports, the program will only allow me to run a report for all 1700 students rather than for a group of individual students. If I wanted anything else I would have to click from student to student individually, but I cannot make separate groupings, for example by grade level or teacher. Teachers should be able to give classes "nicknames" if the permanent system name has to stay the same. Also, some categories seem to repeat from powerteacher pro to powerschool attendance and that is very confusing. Perhaps the attendance site should be separate from the gradebook site, rather than sharing a single screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to give your employees thorough PD on how to use this product. Not all at once, but in several parts. Some things require quite a bit more explanation than others, like setting up gradebooks with weights and grade categories. PD should be done throughout the year, at the beginning and end of each quarter to help teachers set up their gradebooks individually.

A few times a year powerschool goes down and we are unable to take attendance via computer. This is not a massive problem as we are also able to do it by paper, however this I would imagine does create a lot of work for the front office staff who are usually dealing with other things all morning on the customer service end of things, eg parents and copies etc. It has not gone down in quite a while so this has not been a problem. Quickly printing grades or progress reports is a great benefit. I can pull reports at any time for my students and look up important information for them. For example I can see their school schedules, which enables me to do extra things like return forgotten lunch bags to their next class or find out their lunch time. It would also be handy if PowerSchool had a section for bell schedule and even playing the bell sound. Recently the bells at my school have not been working, so it is difficult to keep up with the times without the reminders.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Kimberly C.
Kimberly C.

"Futuristic Gradebook"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is a powerful tool that streamlines the ease of grade reporting for teachers, administration and parents. It is easy to use and display real time data. As educators update students' grades, parents are able to view time. For teachers, this tool is more accurate and efficient than the traditional grade books. In addition, progress reports can be easily ran within the software and sent home to parents and guardians. For parents and students the software allows progress tracking and improving problem areas based on data presented. This tool puts responsibility in the hands of the parents and students. Parents can no longer proclaim they didn't know their child's progress or lack thereof. Additionally parents can track their child's attendance using his software.

What do you dislike?

So my main issue with PowerSchool is receiving a summary of current grades and attendance and detail report showing assignments scores for each class. I have signed up for this weekly for over five years and have yet to receive the information via email. I don't know if it is a glitch in the system or something going on with my email provider.

While a school is a setting for learning it is also a business. The state requires school systems to accurately report attendance to it. Inaccurate reporting of attendance could result in the lost of funding or reduced funding. PowerSchool helps solved this issue by creating reports that can be sent directly to corresponding agencies.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Raymond K.
Raymond K.

"PowerSchool user as a K to 12 school teacher and administrator for 6 years."

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is a one stop solution. One interface/application that covers of school reporting and administration from kindergarten registration to high school graduation.

What do you dislike?

Did not like the java based grade book, but that has been eliminated and I look forward to using the new PowerTeacherPro. Because PowerSchool is so comprehensive navigating the admin interface can be challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Six years later and we are still not looking for another solution - PS is getting the job done.

PowerSchool allows our school/division to record, gather, store, pull and compare data from multiply years. Customization to meet our school's and districts unique needs is very doable and saves us time and human resources.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Avery S.
Avery S.

"PowerSchool is a great tool for teachers to keep track of student info."

What do you like best?

I love how I am able to keep parents and students up to date on grades with powerschool. My students can log on and see an accurate gradebook that looks just like the one I keep on powerteacher. It helps my parents be a little more involved and aware of the progress that their child is making in class. Final Grades are never a surprise because at any time they can check to see how they are doing. It helps some students keep on top of missing work so that they aren't frantic at the end of the semester.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I wish that the menus were easier to navigate. It can be difficult to find specific student information at times. But overall I love powerschool!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Powerschool is a great tool for the daily tasks of being a teacher. I like being able to log in and send my attendance and lunch count to the office without having to send a student out of the room. The gradebook feature of powerschool is an amazing way to help keep parents up to date on their students' grades in my class. I can direct parents and students to check powerschool for missing assignments instead of always having them ask me what hasn't been turned in.

At our school we use powerschool for taking daily attendance and sending in lunch count. We also use the gradebook feature for keeping track of grades. It is great because I can use the gradebook or powerschool wherever I have internet access. I can use it from my ipad in the classroom or at home to put in grades.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Erica R.
Erica R.

"Student Info System "in a box""

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is such a comprehensive system that it does everything a school administrator needs to manage the students' information. The grade book component is fairly flexible, and can be run on any computer.

What do you dislike?

The software is so comprehensive that sometimes it can be cumbersome to make changes or to take advantage of everything it has to offer. It can also be difficult to get technical support because they restrict phone access to two contacts per account and the knowledge base is very large. The success of finding an answer to your question is usually based on your ability to craft a good search term.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the training offered when you purchase the software.

Taking attendance, reporting grades to students and parents.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Jennifer B.
Jennifer B.

"PowerSchool review"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool has been very easy for our company to implement and use. The ability to synchronize all of the information from different schools has been a big plus for us.

What do you dislike?

We have had some challenges with being able to get timely support when we are having a challenge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Powerschools has been very easy for our organization to implement. The support we have received has been great. The system has brought many benefits in organizing and sharing data between multiple campuses which has allowed our central office access to data quickly. This immediate access to data and resources allow management to act more quickly when making key business decisions.

Allows several school locations to pool information quickly and easily in one system. This allows campuses to colllanorate and share data.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Nicole N.
Nicole N.

"Easy and efficient way and use"

What do you like best?

I love how there is a vast amount of information at your fingertips, organized in a precise, easy-to-read way. As long as you know how to query as well, it’s easy to pull information, export it, and then paste it on a spreadsheet.

What do you dislike?

I haven't come across any problems, but in terms of dislike, sometimes getting information through queries can be a bit tedious. You have to know exactly what you're looking for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to have someone with quick knowledge of the queries sometimes needed to find very precise information.

Student registration, demographics, teacher and student schedules, finding students through their last names or their user IDs. Information is easy to access and easy to read as well.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Megan S.
Megan S.

"PowerSchool is a user friendly and highly detailed SIS"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate that PowerSchool is easily customizable, creating a well managed SIS for my school that fits our needs as opposed to a generic out of the box gradebook interface.

What do you dislike?

The JAVA gradebook makes teachers tasks a bit cumbersome, but with the elimination of JAVA with the new PowerTeacher Pro, this frustration should become a mere memory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerSchool has recently separated from it's parent Pearson into its own free standing company. The staff know and believe in their product and offer tremendous support from the most basic questions to very technical ones.

PowerSchool unites our administrators, faculty, students, and parents alike so that all interested parties can easily monitor a students progress. I am taking advantage of the customization features to create fields, pages, and screens that aren't in the 'out of the box' product but help me better manage our students and school.

User in Primary/Secondary Education

"A Robust Suite of Programs"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool allows for several different ways of taking attendance: including by picture, by seating chart, or by list. PowerSchool also allows for a lot of different apps that school districts can add so that teachers can find all types of information on their students.

What do you dislike?

PowerSchool's interface is very clustered. It often takes a lot of effort to wade through what seems to be endless levels of menus to get to the information about students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest you take the time to explore around the program up front.

PowerSchool allows me, as a teacher, to have access to data on my students in real time. With programs within the suite, attendance can be taken, grades can be compiled, and records can be found.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Lisa T.
Lisa T.

"PowerSchool support"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool allows users to make the most of the database for their unique needs.

What do you dislike?

Some inability to delete or remove fields or data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I work with a number of districts and have never heard of anyone truly unhappy with the move to PowerSchool. The longer districts use it, the more they appreciate its versatility and ability to customize.

PowerSchool is a great tool for integrating with other platforms and making teachers and admins' jobs better and easier. It is a great communication tool for parents and students.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Joanne R.
Joanne R.

"PowerSchool is easy to use on the mobile app, but lacks features"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is easy to use for grading students work. It can be used on a computer or using a phone. Students and parents can easily access updated grades, including averages and comments from the teacher. This program shows what days were missed and which assignments are missed.

What do you dislike?

PowerSchool is lacking an area for teachers and/or administrators to put in comments that are based on behavior. There is also no log for teachers and/or administrators to note calls home to parents. These are features that would be very beneficial and are available in similar programs. Teachers also don't have access to the nice grid schedules that are available to administrators.

Grading students, documenting attendance, providing student schedules. The benefit is to have all of this information in one program.

"PowerSchool "

What do you like best?

PowerSchool has many portals. One for Admin, one for Teachers, one for Subs, and one for parents and students. It is a great way to communicant with everyone.

There are also enough schools using PowerSchool it allows for user groups to get together and learn from each other.

What do you dislike?

The training for learning how to customize fields is a lacking. We have information we collect and need to be able to keep it in our SIS. PowerSchool allows for school districts to do this, however, you have to already know how to program. Tech support is not able to help with customization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerSchool is a wonderful product. It is always changing and improving. Get involved with User Groups. Make arrangements to attend PowerSchool University. It is one of the best ways to get training and know what is changing. We are also hosted by PowerSchool which takes a huge burden away from the district.

As PowerSchool is growing so are we. The most recent feature we started using is the on line registration. What a time saver. Our parents and schools love this.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Teresa D.
Teresa D.

"Using PowerSchool as a teacher"

What do you like best?

I am able to leave notes about individual assignments, including if something is missing or why a student earned a low score. This helps me remember later in the semester and helps parents and students when they are trying to understand their grades.

I also like that I am able to look up the grades (both individual and cumulative) that my students have in other classes. This helps me keep track of my advisees and look for patterns in their work across various classes.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of bugs, especially with updates. I still have trouble with the new launcher on multiple computers and therefore have to go through multiple steps to open the application to enter grades.

I also wish that I could enter grades in a browser window and in an Android app. This would make entering grades a simpler process as I do a lot of work on a Chromebook or Android device.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Save often, as random errors or internet lapses can lead to significant lost time. This is especially crucial when entering course comments. I would go further and recommend saving course comments in a separate document and pasting them in, as too many of my colleagues have horror stories of losing an entire class of comments.

PowerSchool enables parents to stay on top of student grades and helps students to keep track of their progress. It is a great communication tool, and keeps grading open and visible to administrators, other teachers, and families. It is a useful replacement to the paper gradebook.

PowerSchool Student Information System review by Mike T.
Mike T.

"A K-12 Solution"

What do you like best?

With PowerSchool you have a simple SIS to use for keeping track of the everyday business of a school. You can also use the grade book, which helps in formulating final grades and it also allows parents to see their students progress.

What do you dislike?

Finding reports sometimes can be difficult from a teacher perspective. Overall there really isn't much that PowerSchool can't do. It will be interesting to see the LMS that they have added to the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerSchool is working towards becoming not just an SIS but also a full service LMS that is worth looking into.

This program helps keep all the schools in our district organized, classes and students organized schedule wise. We are even starting to use the Gradebook.

Learn more about PowerSchool Student Information System

PowerSchool Student Information System Videos

Learning about PowerSchool Student Information System?

* We monitor all PowerSchool Student Information System reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.