Pro Tools

Follow to go behind the scenes of the world's most listened to, most watched, and most loved media in the world.

Work for Pro Tools?

Learning about Pro Tools?

Pro Tools Reviews

Ask Pro Tools a Question
Showing 59 Pro Tools reviews
Pro Tools review by <span>Anastasia F.</span>
Anastasia F.

"Avid Pro-tools "

What do you like best?

I enjoy using pro-tools because this program is very versatile and flexible. So many tools and plug ins that musicians and engineers can take advantage of. I worked with sound for a few years now and by far this is the best program when it comes to sound design and mixing. Pro-tools took a little but to get the hang of, but it is worth it. In addition, it's also considered to be industry standard. Once program is learned, users have a greater possibility of entering a field of sound engineering.

What do you dislike?

Pro-tools does require a special key to run the program, called dongle. If this key is lost or stolen, program cannot be used until the dongle is replaced. The program is very expensive and it needs a specific audio interface. It is not home user friendly because Pro-tools is meant for professional use. However, I have seen many home studios use pro-tools on professional level with ease.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are serious about music, recording and mixing, I recommend pro-tools.

When I work on a project, sometimes sound can be captured differently than how I intended. It happens on rare occasions due to mic failure, placement or effected by surrounding environment. Sound can be damaged, faint, clipped and so on. I would bring it into pro tools and manipulate it until I can get as many kinks out as possible. I am well aware of other audio work stations, but Pro-tools is my go-to software that I rely on the most.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Pro Tools
Pro Tools review by <span>Jake H.</span>
Jake H.

"Industry standard, robust audio recording and editing tool"

What do you like best?

I like the interface. Easy to navigate. I love there "smart" tool, which makes it easy to toogle between highlighting, grabbing clips, or creating fades depending upon which part of the audio clip the mouse is hovered over. I like the newer ability to bounce tracks off line (instead of a 4 minute tracking taking 4 minutes to bounce down to a final mix file, it's done in around 10 seconds).

What do you dislike?

There's a but of a learning curve for new users (but plenty of resources out there to learn from). Occasionally, it bogs down and runs slow or crashes with too many plug-ins. Full-disclose: I am using older, entry level hardware (Digi003) and laptop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's been the industry standard so it can be good for collaborating when you are moving sessions around to different computers. It can be a little expensive and there is a learning curve but for anyone serious about recording, it's worth it.

Great for music creation and editing speaking for a podcast. Saves times

What Audio Editing solution do you use?

Pro Tools review by User in Motion Pictures and Film
User in Motion Pictures and Film

"I use it daily and love it"

What do you like best?

The shortcuts are easy to use and make sense (such as 'd' for duplicate). I love how easy it is to work with between any video editing software that editors use, so importing and exporting videos and sound is a dream and keeping the metadata in one place with everything else is not difficult. As an engineer, recording is such a smooth process, and it is no surprised this is the #1 sound software out there. Everything about it is based on tape, so it is so intuitive and easy to use, because if you know audio, you should know how it works. I also love how many tracks I can create. No more are the days of 8 track PT!

What do you dislike?

It is frustrating that only some versions of PT can have multiple video tracks. It is not easy to conform to new video cuts in that case. I do wish that I didn't need an iLok with me at all times, it would make my workflow easier and travel smoother. It would also be nice if I didn't need a full keyboard to use all the shortcuts and could figure a way to make my laptop keyboard do everything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would never consider using another program. This is what you need for music, film--literally anything in the audio industry.

Every studio I have worked at and every job I have applied for requires me to know Protools. I use it at home and work and it makes my job a dream. I could not imagine doing everything I need in Audacity or something similar to that daily.

Pro Tools review by <span>Glenn F.</span>
Glenn F.

"Industry standard for a reason"

What do you like best?

What can be said about Pro Tools that hasn't been said? Though most recognized as a common language for engineers to effectively maneuver between studios and workflows, Pro Tools is undoubtedly agreed upon as one of the most effective DAWs in the majority of production situations for a reason. While its stock program may hold back on included extras such as large plugin and sound libraries like Logic or Ableton, it's base utility as a tracking, editing and mixing DAW is unparalleled. From navigation and editing commands to huge time saving shortcuts, I find myself doing what would take multiple steps or strokes in other DAW's in an instant in Pro Tools.

What do you dislike?

While it is the platform that I am most fluent in, it is not without its shortcomings. I look at Pro Tools as a utility-- a tape machine; a console and a cutting room. It isn't a particularly inspiring platform for music creation, it just does what it does. For writing, composing and arranging, the likes of other platforms do a much better job in providing a creative environment for the user. As I would never use say Ableton for a film sound mix, I would never use Pro Tools to create the score itself (their MIDI editing has always seemed tacked on and never fully realized). It is virtually flawless as an audio editor, but for years I was frustrated by the watered-down limitations of prior LE versions of the program. Luckily the latest version of Pro Tools is much more flexible in that in finally includes editing to frames and other previously HD only features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking to be a DJ/producer, Ableton might be more suited to your needs. If you want to break out of the bedroom and join the pro studio world, Pro Tools is an absolute prerequisite.

Well it is essentially bread and butter for any audio producer-- though I've used Logic for years for scoring and some editing, I find my general editing workflow still to be much faster in Pro Tools. It is literally a time-saver. Due to the fact that it is an industry standard, it is also easier/faster to be able to directly open someone else's Pro Tools project, or be able to share my session to and from home and the studio.

Pro Tools review by <span>Jordan B.</span>
Jordan B.

"Best DAW I've Used"

What do you like best?

Everything one could possibly need to do in the world of audio can be accomplished with Pro Tools. They are always integrating new technology into their updates and while not the cheapest of options, you always know what you are getting and working with. The design is sleek and interacts with non-avid software better than ever!

What do you dislike?

I would like to see the whole process of installing and transferring different plugins made easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find the level of Pro Tools that fits what YOU need.

Everything we do in the world of audio: recording, editing, mixing, mastering, etc. is realized through the avenue of Pro Tools. Video integration is excellent as well.

Pro Tools review by <span>Hunter S.</span>
Hunter S.

"Industry Standard for Some reasons"

What do you like best?

The basic features can be learned fairly easily and quickly. The program is extremely smart and has a lot of customizable features and tools. You can do so much from beginning to end for audio editing.

What do you dislike?

The interface is not intuitive. The rich features are not easy to find or use for first-timers. The interface is outdated especially compared to LogicX.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would consider buying Pro Tools First to see if the program is the right fit for your work.

Audio editing and mixing from start to finish. Everything is done in Pro Tools for audio.

Pro Tools review by <span>Matthew P.</span>
Matthew P.

"So far so good"

What do you like best?

To me, ProTools is more straight forward than other DAWs. It's most likely due to having more experience using it versus other programs. In the last couple years, I updated from 7.4LE to 11 and greatly appreciate the openness to using non Avid interfaces. I also really like how the internal routing architecture works - it just makes sense to me.

As for the GUI, I prefer a darker look, mainly because I record/work in darker rooms more frequently than not. There are other interfaces out there that have a darker look to them, but ProTools still wins me over.

What do you dislike?

Some of the random errors that come up while using the software can be irritating. Once you have it set up properly they don't rear their head often unless it's something like not having a large enough buffer, CPU is out of juice, etc. One annoyance I noticed with PT 11 is that every time you make an adjustment to the playback hardware (buffer size, driver, etc.), the software restarts itself. I don't remember PT 7.4 doing that, however I like how 11 sounds vs. 7.4, so it's something I'll live with. It does reopen the session you were working on. There are some days where I wish it would work, at least on a basic level, without the iLok. I've had a few times where we decided to record randomly, and my iLok was at home.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out first to see if it's something you like. If you decide it's not for you, there are other great options out there.

I'm solving the problem of being able to record, edit, and mix audio - studio and on location. There was older software I preferred for editing, but it's not supported by the newer operating systems all my audio work is in ProTools now. One large benefit is most other audio techs. I work with use ProTools, so being able to shuffle projects between one another is a breeze. You just have to make sure plugins are compatible and/or used by the other party.

Pro Tools review by <span>Will j.</span>
Will j.

"My dad recomended Pro Tools to me but I still prefer Cubase "

What do you like best?

Monthly payment plan is very helpful, especially for trial purposes. quality is unbeatable, provided loops and sounds are very good compared to Cubase. has all the tools you need and more, all the pros use it

What do you dislike?

Steep learning curve, coming from 14 years of using Cubase i found it very hard to operate at first but with a few weeks of use I got there!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try before buy to see whether you like it

nothing i went back to Cubase, no problems with Pro tools. but i prefer Cubase

Pro Tools review by <span>Rafhael Alexandro B.</span>
Rafhael Alexandro B.

"Pro Tool 101"

What do you like best?

Best DAW from beginners to professionals. Its loaded with tons of options to create and edit with one of the most easy workflows out there. Since 12 version came out I absolutely loved it. If you have time there are some courses like PT101, 102, 110, etc. I recommend.

What do you dislike?

Used to dislike the online render but since offline mixdown came out there is no much beeggee with it. I do hate to have to carry the iLok around and I once lost it and had to pay for the new iLok and a fee to transfer the license

Audio for video and recording bands on Hardwood Recording Studio

Pro Tools review by <span>Harlan R.</span>
Harlan R.

"Essential flagship product for audio production."

What do you like best?

This is the industry standard, doesn't mean it's the best, I just mean that most pro studios use this software so you'll have more compatibility with collaboration throughout over all production. However you are getting some of the most professional tools available to obtain the best professional sound achievable!

What do you dislike?

The program is pretty bulky and can get fairly clunky when first opening and attempting to operate. It requires quite a bit of resources from your machine. You can throttle what it uses however Pro Tools has been around for a while and has many updated and different variants of the same program so it seems it's become fragmented over time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know what you want to achieve and how you want to go about achieving it. Don't just hop on the bandwagon just because it's the "industry standard" and it's the program all of the big players are using.

I now have the ability to take make work from conception all the delivery in one solution!

Pro Tools review by <span>Isabel R.</span>
Isabel R.

"Easy going, lets me do what i need to do"

What do you like best?

i like the mix and edit window, that help a lot when producig. I like to use the shortcts to work faster specially in the studio.

What do you dislike?

I/Os mess up all the time, there is no time or pitch flex so you need other apps or plug ins to fix this issuea that should be really easy to get off the way. It is very complicated to use with midi.

Being a producer pro tools is my daily work place. I write, record and mix with it. In the studio is the best tool that we have and has made the world of digital music standarized so i think is a great app.

Pro Tools review by <span>Scott R.</span>
Scott R.

"Simultaneously essential and frustrating"

What do you like best?

Pro Tools is the industry standard for audio post production. In my opinion it's the best program for editing and mixing audio. Familiarity with the shortcut keys can turn you into a wizard able to fly through audio. Nothing is as precise or efficient.

What do you dislike?

Pro Tools may have the most bitter user base of any piece of software out there, and Avid is largely to blame for this. Despite how long they have been supposedly refining this program it is still plagued by instabilities. Professional users will often stick with older versions because of incompatibilities introduced in newer versions, or features that just get dropped. Early adopters are basically beta testers because new versions are often teeming with bugs. This is especially alarming because they have recently adopted a subscription model suggesting that they will release updates on a yearly basis. Their website is a pain to navigate and I often find myself running around in circles when I try to find something on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are working on music and are not collaborating with others using Pro Tools, I would strongly recommend trying Reaper, Mixbus, Ableton, Cubase, Logic or Reason first. If you are serious about Audio Post Production you're stuck with Pro Tools unless you want to be one of the few weirdos using Digital Performer or Nuendo.

In a post production workflow pipeline, Pro Tools is pretty much a necessary evil for importing, editing, and mixing a finished product.

Pro Tools review by <span>Evan K.</span>
Evan K.

"Great audio engine but lack of support"

What do you like best?

With Pro Tools being the industry standard for tasks like sound design, editing, mixing and mastering, it is apparent that it is an astounding piece of software. Its great sound engine guarantees top quality exports and its interface offers flexibility and reliability when it comes to undertaking several different tasks.

What do you dislike?

One of the downsides of investing in a Pro Tools based setup is that it requires dedicated hardware to run at its fullest potential. With that said, an Avid certified audio interface, a dedicated video card and a fast and reliable computer are paramount. Its requirements are medium to high but you will notice a significant boost in performance when working on a higher end system. In addition, the company's support is quite infamous so be ready to do all the troubleshooting yourself. The good part of this is that there is a huge community around Pro Tools, thus somewhat filling the gap between the user and the company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

-Don't rely on Avid's support cause it is non existent

-If you are considering buying it, Avid has changed its one time purchase policy to a subscription based one; meaning you will have to pay an annual price. Not a good thing indeed.

-great sound engine

-convenient interface

-analog-like routing

-handy shortcuts

Pro Tools review by User

"Best sound editing software"

What do you like best?

Pro tools is native to use, and allows you to get a very detailed level of sound editing. If you have knowledge of sound editing, and creativity, Pro Tools provides you with the flexibility to create worlds of sounds. Pro allows you to perfect sound by allowing you to edit it, add reverb to add echo and create space, change tone/bass and pitch of voices.

What do you dislike?

It is not am amateur software. Therefore (like most of Avid's software), the interface is not user friendly. It requires learning how to use the software far beyond navigation. But then again, it is partially since you have so many features available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Going with Pro Tools is the wisest decision. It is the industry standard when it comes to sound editing. However, I would highly recommend taking the time to learn how to use the software for an ease experience.

Dialogue and sound editing for video. Pro tools allows you to seamlessly edit sound and dialogue tracks.

Pro Tools review by <span>Steph M.</span>
Steph M.

"I would highly recommend for video editors..."

What do you like best?

As a video editor I find Pro Tools very necessary, it gives you tons of options audio related. Fixing dialogues is what I do the most and the software makes it fast and easy. I love how easy I can import from video softwares and can edit based on the frames per second. The software interface its super easy and friendly.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes its hard to select certain things. But this is normal for any software.

I wish the interface got better and friendlier for video editors.

Its really hard to navigate through the timeline and start reproducing from one specific frame.

I don't like that the reproduction starts from one point I selected before. It could be in handy an improved timeline navigator. But this is a great software that even though it has this bugs I would never stop using.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend video editors to use pro tools. It would definitely improve your work as a filmmaker.

wDefinitely dialogues and sound mixing.

I love how I can create an ambience in every situation, many reverbs options and sound effects. Every time I do audio editing the video improves a 60% after fixed dialogues, reverbs, ambience. Sound editing, mixing two different sounds to accomplish the perfect one is really easy in Pro Tools as a video editor speaking.

Pro Tools review by <span>Benjamin W.</span>
Benjamin W.

"Pro Tools is an efficient, creative, and professional audio production tool."

What do you like best?

The features that Pro Tools provides ensure precision in audio production and editing. Its many editing modes and capabilities make it useful for many industries--radio, podcasts, musical production/composition, voiceover, and more. The nice thing about Pro Tools, as with any quality audio software, is that it s versatile.

What do you dislike?

Earlier versions of Pro Tools were inefficient with CPU usage, sometimes leading to hangups, especially when working with music production involving many audio plugins, or when working with large or high-resolution video files. However, more recent versions of the software have mostly addressed this issue, resulting in a more stable program when faced with intense system strain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pro Tools has tools that are useful for many industries. If you have any interest or requirement to learn digital audio, Pro Tools is a great way to do so. Its abilities range from simple, linear audio editing to advanced, dense, multitrack music sessions made up of audio, MIDI, and virtual instrument tracks, and large sessions for ADR/audio for film, Pro Tools is an industry standard for audio production, and a great product to not only learn digital audio, but also to gain a valuable skill for the audio/media industry.

Using Pro Tools templates, I save time when working on projects for clients.

Pro Tools review by <span>José F.</span>
José F.

"A Must Have - Industry Standard"

What do you like best?

Pro Tools has established itself as the industry standard, and it is so for good reason: versatile, powerful, efficient. It is a must for every professional. You can walk in to literally any studio or post house, and you'll be sure to find Pro Tools.

What do you dislike?

While the software is quite amazing and worthwhile the investment, AVID has been notorious for their lackluster support and customer service. Often times one is forced to find support elsewhere, particularly online forums. Additionally, they are not always at the forefront in terms of features, often behind in this category to other DAWs such as Reaper.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you wish to enter the professional world of audio, look no further, as Pro Tools is the industry standard.

Pro Tools is my go-to solution for audio production and post-production for visual media. It is quite powerful for this endeavor, and as the industry standard, has proven itself as a very efficient platform for collaboration, which is must for sound for picture.

Pro Tools review by User

"Overly complex software for the functions it actually provides"

What do you like best?

Pro Tools does okay for recording music in a studio. There is nothing really stand-out or special about it but it does get the job done. It is easy to create new tracks. Personally, I prefer Logic much more over Pro Tools. Logic's interface is much more user-friendly and MIDI friendly. It is easier to navigate and get around to accomplish what you need to do. In my opinion, Pro Tools is far more complicated.

What do you dislike?

The worst part is that you have to have to have the USB plugged in as a security token in order to use to Pro Tools. There are only so many USB ports available so if you use a wireless mouse and an external hard drive, these ports fill up quickly. The MacBook I use only has two USB ports so this leaves me no room for my Pro Tools USB key. I think Pro Tools should be just like any other software that I can install and enter a product key and then be able to access it directly on my computer any time I want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a sonic artist or enjoy experimenting a lot with field recording and editing, then Pro Tools might be for you. If you are working or looking to work with film, Pro Tools is not going to work for you and there are better options. As I mentioned, I personally find Logic to get the job done much better.

For my personal application and using Pro Tools throughout my Masters study in London, this really has not solved an business problems for me. I have continued on to using Logic because it meets my needs. I have learned a lot about Pro Tools and I see its value for certain applications but it has not brought any benefits to my continuing studies or my professional career. I have seen it quite popular among sonic artists.

Pro Tools review by <span>Vincent R.</span>
Vincent R.

"Extremely powerful program "

What do you like best?

Pro Tools is extremely powerful, and used by everyone from students to professionals. It's extremely versatile, and allows you to do so many different things. If you need to get something done with audio, Pro Tools can do it. I also really like that you can import video files as well, which allows you to sync up the audio for perfect timing.

What do you dislike?

Avid products are a little different when compared to Apple and Adobe products. If you are coming off of one of these companies, it's going to take you a little longer to adjust to the workflow and layouts. With that said, everything in Pro Tools is still simple enough that you can easily figure out how to get things done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pro Tools is, and has been the go-to for many professionals in the creative world. If you're serious about audio editing, you need to give it a try.

We use Pro Tools almost exclusively for voiceover work and sound mixing. Working at an advertising agency, these two elements are extremely important and make up a huge bulk of our work flow, making Pro Tools very useful. Getting things cut just right and in a short amount of time is extremely important with tight project deadlines, and Pro Tools allows us to get everything done in a timely manner.

Pro Tools review by <span>Ashley D.</span>
Ashley D.

"The Learning Curve Is Steep And Expensive"

What do you like best?

ProTools has a ton of features. More than you probably could ever learn. It has a few ways to make working in the software quicker and easier such as it allows you to utilize navigational shortcut keys. It also lets you setup templates and presets so you don't have to start every project from scratch or remember the settings you applied to achieve a certain sound or effect.

What do you dislike?

It is expensive and if you upgrade your software on your computer, the version of ProTools and the hardware you own may not even be able to open anymore due to it being incompatible. This happened to me on my Macbook Pro. I had the same computer, but upgraded my software and was told that ProTools is no longer compatible with what I have. That was very disappointing as I would have to buy all new software and equipment when I hadn't had the current equipment long to begin with. It was basically brand new. Also, Pro Tools almost requires its own computer due to its large amount of CPU usage. If you do too many things outside of the program, you will experience hangups and instability. Lastly, the interface can be daunting for someone just starting out in the industry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you plan to collaborate with others in the industry, you'll most likely need to use ProTools, but I would most definitely verify this as if it's not what's widely used for your purposes, look into cheaper alternatives that can give you an equally professional sound and quality. Also, if you are new to the industry, hold off on such a complex software as this until you are more comfortable because otherwise, it will be a waste of a lot of money.

ProTools is widely used so, if you're using it as well you're automatically working in a format compatible with nearly the majority. It can be used to create professional quality audio

Pro Tools review by <span>Felice P.</span>
Felice P.

"used Ableton Live for years, then went for standards..."

What do you like best?

it's industry standard. Sharing projects is seamless...

Nowadays Pro tools is no more "the best" DAW you can buy . Others are eating Market pieces day-by-day and that's because it's still an elite program. I think pro studios have/had no choices but for your home studio you can really choose on budget.

What do you dislike?

still not comparable with others on some features (like MIDI or music composition aid)

Recommendations to others considering the product

stay with the standards to assure you can focus on music and not on software.

workflows are streamlined, some best practices are a click away and, most of all, you can rely on this software.

Pro Tools review by <span>Stephen Y.</span>
Stephen Y.

"The standard for a reason"

What do you like best?

Protools is easily the leader in audio editing software. It's really easy to use and incredibly powerful. It's nice to be able to use it with or without hardware, depending on your budget.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the way that the new subscription structure is layed out. There aren't enough real updates to make it worth it. It seems like Avid is just removing features and then introducing them again as if they were new.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try ProTools First. It'll give you a chance to work with the interface before you purchase a license. It's limited but it gives a good idea of how ProTools works.

Protools allows us to have a quick workflow. The integration with formats like omf allows us to easily collaborate between video and audio.

Pro Tools review by Administrator in Entertainment
Administrator in Entertainment

"Why Pro Tools Leads the Industry"

What do you like best?

Pro Tools contains all functionalities required for producing a proper Soundtrack for film, as well as the tools required for music production. It also includes capabilities that are not offered in other DAW's (or at least not at the same standards) that makes collaboration between various people and departments acievable and easy through its satellite linking capabilities. This multiple computers to be linked, and running multiple sessions to one master computer where a mix is being completed. It also allows for satellite systems to temporarily unlink themselves to make quick fixes or edits, and then delink back up. This save an enormous amount of time, and is one of pro tools' most powerful capabilities. I don't know of any other DAW that can do the same thing, at least to the same degree, which is why I'd choose Pro Tools over another DAW always.

What do you dislike?

AVID seems to be moving towards a subscription based relationship with its customers. I absolutely hate subscription based programs and avoid them at all costs. I'd rather purchase a program and use it until it is no longer relevant, rather than pay more money to a subscription that continuously updates. Updates often have bugs, and I wait until all issues are solved (even though most bugs are due to updates by Apple) a lot of times waiting over a year. I wouldn't want to pay more money to continue how I use a program. I want to own it, not rent it. Though, I'm the type of person who doesn't like leasing so maybe that's why.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pro Tools is the best DAW out there and is rightfully the industry standard. Many will argue otherwise, but the industry professionals who work on high caliber work use pro tools for a reason. Reasons the bloggers online do not understand because they do not have to utilize the more complex capabilities of the program.

I work freelance doing post production sound for film. The issues consist of manipulating sound from large crews into one master session that results in the final soundtrack, while remaining flexible to update fixes or changes requested by the directors.

Below I answered "myself only" because I am a freelancer and do not work for any specific company, which the majority of the industry is.

I am also an AVID Pro Tools 11 HD 210p certified Operator. I can tell you, the majority of people don't even understand the things Pro Tools can do that other DAWs cannot until they become certified.

User in Media Production

"Pro Tools gets the job done"

What do you like best?

Pro tools might be daunting when you first open it but it becomes very easy very fast. First of all, it's a shortcut based software which, once you know them, makes your audio editing job extremely efficient. Avid is also on top of its update and their client service is great. I've had a few questions in the past and they were always fast to help me. Since PT 11, the program feels a lot lighter to be run by your computer.

What do you dislike?

Avid's video engine still has a few bugs and it creates issues in both windows and mac. Also, I do not use Pro Tools for music production because I don't feel that it's adapted for it. The midi tools is not intuitive (compared to Logic).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you intend to go into sound post production, you need to start using pro tools for multiple reason. First of all, Pro tools is a standard in the movie industry and second I do not believe there is another DAW that is as efficient as Pro Tools for sound design, sound editing and sound mixing.

I work with pro tools everyday and I have been for the past 8 years. It's been helping work on short films, feature films and commercials. This is, to me, the best audio software on the market for audio post production.

Pro Tools review by <span>Victoria G.</span>
Victoria G.

"Expensive System to purchase and maintain"

What do you like best?

Pro Tools is widely used in the film industry and in large recording studios. It is competitive with other major Digital Audio Workstations (DAW) with editing tools and a range of useful effects. Many of these industry facilities use ProTools, so it is good to have an understanding of the software in case you have to work there. There is a real ease of file sharing between these facilities because they use the "industry standard software". Many high end film projects are edited using Avid software and the audio software is completely compatible with the video editing tools.

What do you dislike?

I have worked in studios that owned ProTools, but I would not buy it myself. It is very costly compared to other systems and I do not do large film projects or record symphony orchestra size groups at home, so I don't need all the functionality. ProTools still expects you to pay for annual upgrades by renewing your license, even if you already purchased the software for approx. $600USD. The cloud subscription is even more expensive when compared to other tools such as Apple Logic or MOTU Digital Performer that may be just as good for the task you are planning to complete.

It is not economical to use ProTools unless you are working within the Avid family of products or must maintain compatibility with others who are using the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Research the alternatives to make sure that you need to spend this much to complete your project.

Composers and performers usually can use a less expensive product that will work just as well for them.

Compatibility with other studios that are working on the same project is the only positive aspect.

Pro Tools review by User in Motion Pictures and Film
User in Motion Pictures and Film

"A great tool to perfect your audio tracks"

What do you like best?

One of the things I appreciate the most about Pro tools is the fact it offers such a large range of plugins and tools to help you create some events and even help to perfect your audio, such as the noise that sometimes gets in the tracks.

What do you dislike?

in the other hand, I find myself disliking the fact that the software is not so simple to understand, it requires lots of practice and research to learn how to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to make the best of your audio you surelly should consider working with pro tools, since if offers so many options to perfect the audio of your films, videos, radio pieces, music and so much more.

At the moment, I reach pro tools to solve problems related to the audio tracks for my short films and other videos, usually, to reduce the noise in the tracks, since the microphones I used are not the best.

Pro Tools review by <span>Eugene F.</span>
Eugene F.

"Learned how to professionally edit audio on Pro Tools and used it before switching to Adobe family. "

What do you like best?

Pro Tools is really the best for sound recording on a large scale. If you have channels for different instruments, vocals, effects, etc. there's really nothing better to use. It handles all of this really well and works pretty well within the Avid family of editors. If you use Avid to video edit there's really no need to use other audio editing software, but I always like to keep things in a program family.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately Pro Tools is a little restrictive when it comes to plugins (after some updates), and the ones that are around can get a little pricey. The next isn't a big issue because if you're editing professionally you most likely have duel monitors, however Pro Tools isn't really set up to look and flow well on a single monitor. So if you're just starting out and all you can afford is one monitor, your screen might get a little cramped.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're getting into the business of recording live music (bands or singers) you should definitely get Pro Tools. Really no other software I could recommend. Also if you plan on using Avid, it's nice to stay in the Avid family.

Like I said earlier, Pro Tools is easily the best software for recording and sound mixing professionally. It's a little hard to get into, but it's totally worth it.

Pro Tools review by <span>Pete O.</span>
Pete O.

"Pro Tools- industry standard for audio editing and mixing"

What do you like best?

Pro Tools is the industry standard for a reason. It's powerful but also logical and easy to use, especially if you have an understanding of audio. For editing or mixing audio, there's no better software. They've made strides towards upgrading their composing tools, but if you're a serious composer there are probably better programs to use.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike- it has become cheaper over the years, and also offers a monthly payment system. And you no longer need to have Pro Tools hardware to use their software. The only downside might be the learning curve, but this program is for professionals who are going to put in the time anyway. Also the music composing tools/interface could be better, but that's not this program's main focus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're an audio professional and need the best software, Pro Tools is the way to go. If you're more of a casual/beginner user or just have a short term project, you may want to consider other software.

If you have a serious audio project, Pro Tools is the way to go. Once you master it, working with sound, music, or audio for video projects is a breeze.

User in Media Production

"For a daily post production user, this is arguably the best software"

What do you like best?

Its versatile, very robust, and has relatively few crashes.

What do you dislike?

I wish PT had the ability to work in 2 different "sessions" simultaneously. When switching between projects, there is a long wait between closing one session and opening another.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're using this professionally for post production, its definitely on the shortlist for software. If you're sharing files with another studio its almost essential to be using Pro Tools. If you're a songwriter or a musician, there's plenty of alternatives that are less expensive and probably more useful. But any professional audio engineer should consider Pro Tools as a first option.

I am producing TV and radio commercials, and recording ADR for film and TV. Pro Tools is the standard in our industry and every studio in our facility runs it. We can switch projects between users easily because everyone is all running the same setup.

Pro Tools review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Audio Engineer"

What do you like best?

I use ProTools almost exclusively in a post-production environment, and it helps me automate various processes, but most of all, to create audio stems in a second.

What do you dislike?

A bit crash-prone, but not too much. Avid also takes a long time to upgrade the program. Compatibility can be a hassle if you do system upgrades, as Avid is usually behind the OS updates about 6 months.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the industry standard!! Exchanging data with other users, and where I work (an Avid ISIS Symphony network) it is a thing of wonder.

I have to deliver "sweetened" audio for promos. Pro Tools allows me to quickly assemble dozens of spots daily.

User in Media Production

"The deserved standard in Pro Audio Production"

What do you like best?

Unmatched workflow in from recording to editing to mix. Pro Tools is the standard software used in pretty much every serious audio facility, so it's easy to move projects between studios (including home studios). Avid is always working to add new, useful features.

What do you dislike?

Included sounds and samples could be better. I am also not a fan of the annual licensing system, requiring me to pay $400 a year to keep my software version current. I would much rather pay once and own the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're an audio production professional, get it! Workflow, sound quality, and ubiquity make it the standard.

Not so much "solving problems" as I use this software for absolutely everything I do in the studio (recording, editing, mixing, and mastering). It is very convenient to never have to leave the software throughout an entire recording project (if you don't want to).

"Everything you need"

What do you like best?

The most recent updates removed a lot of previous "clunkiness"-- improving workflows and editing speed. Pro Tools can do just about everything you need from a DAW.

What do you dislike?

The switch to subscription service for updates felt strong-armed, but is understandable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not already familiar with Pro Tools, definitely look into taking at least a course or two in order to truly maximize your experience and optimize your workflow.

Switching to Pro Tools from some other DAWs was a financial investment but greatly improved production turnaround times.

Pro Tools review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Great editing, mixing and recording software"

What do you like best?

The newest version of Pro Tools (12) has come a long way. Little by little, tools have been added to the arsenal and they make the engineer's life a lot easier. Offline bouncing, transparency of the audio clips when they're dragged, new plug-ins... there are a lot of reasons to choose Pro Tools as an audio software.

The main trouble with this software is Avid's tendency to freeze. From time to time, it'll simply stop working.

Editing and mixing every day, there are a couple of functions I'd like to see to enhance efficiency and speed, but overall it's a great program.

What do you dislike?

The tendency to freeze and crash for no reason is a recurring nightmare. The need for the iLok, although understandable, can also be tedious, especially when you're on the go.

I record, edit and mix sound (voice over, music and sound effects). Pro Tools helps me with all of that.

Pro Tools review by Administrator

"I can't imagine using anything else..."

What do you like best?

Pro Tools will do anything. If you know where to find it. It can take a couple of years to learn it fully, and even then you will continue to learn things.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it crashes. Sometimes there are weird errors. Real time bouncing in previous versions was a pain and we have yet to spend the lump sum to upgrade. Cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hands on experience is key

We record and release better products faster than we could without it. I have tried other similar software and while I may not be as learned on those platforms, they just seem clunky.

"Great recording software!"

What do you like best?

I love the low latency and support for many plug-ins. The editing capabilities are also fantastic.

What do you dislike?

It has a huge learning curve. You also need to have a lot of memory to run this successfully (better to have 16 GB or RAM).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pro Tools is the industry standard for digital audio production. Once you learn how to use it, you have the skills that are transferrable to many different audio systems. Just be prepared to pay, as Pro Tools isn't cheap. It is also very taxing on your PC.

It is a great tool for writing and recording professional music.

Pro Tools review by <span>Isaac T.</span>
Isaac T.

"ProTools Review"

What do you like best?

The vast amount of features and support that the software has and the community that is always searching for answers and better way to do things.

What do you dislike?

The interface is a bit large if you are trying to work just off a laptop (even 15"), but on a bigger screen thats not an issue.

The ability to stem out tracks really helps as a benefit for the program, it keeps sound design very complex, but also very neat and clean within the file structure.

Pro Tools review by <span>Fernando G.</span>
Fernando G.

"Sound mixing excellence"

What do you like best?

What I like the most is the ease of connecting any hardware and using it with no hassle. It's 5.1 version is one of the best softwares I have ever used. I've used it to mix sound for short films and it has never crashed. It allows easy video integration for syncing, and plugin creators have done excellent job making the experience better.

What do you dislike?

I dislike(sometimes forget) that you cannot apply all effects to clips, most of the effects have to be used in the whole track. For big projects it can get messier. It could use bin/folders for tracks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It should have collapsible bins/folders

I'm creating excellent quality sound design for short films.

Pro Tools review by User in Internet

"Pro Tools is Pretty Terrible, and their parent company Avid is Awful"

What do you like best?

The only thing I "like" about Pro Tools is that I can count on it being present in any studio, and therefore I can open the session and get to work.

But the fact that they are a de facto standard has nothing to do with the quality of software or support, and everything to do with history and luck.

What do you dislike?

Everything.

Version to version, the "new" features are bland and underwhelming, meanwhile, their "official support" for any operating system is never the current version out.

This results in people, like myself, hanging on to old computers with old software just to keep the system running.

You're telling me that in 2016, we can't record and playback audio reliably? We can't release patches to keep PT playing nicely with new OS versions as they come out? Within a few weeks?

Also, moving to new versions usually means thousands of dollars in new equipment that is supported... an asinine model for an industry in which studios are CLOSING, not opening.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're an audio professional of any kind, chances are you have to use PT at some point. That said, there's software out there that ABSOLUTELY does the same job better, including Logic and Reason.

Learn Pro Tools, but also learn something else, and take every opportunity to avoid Pro Tools.

I'm solving the Avid's business problem of "How do we make money providing the least amount of usefulness to our customers?".

User in Music

"Great for professional studios who need zero-lag monitoring for demanding musicians."

What do you like best?

Pro Tools has always dominated the professional recording market with its historic reliance on the use of proprietary DSP hardware. This fact makes a good Pro Tools set-up incredibly robust and reliable when in the toughest of recording situations.

What do you dislike?

Pro Tools has always been behind with the times with regard to basic features that have been standard on every single other DAW on the market for around 8-10 years. these drawbacks and extreme price point has shown that it should only ever be used in high budget recording studios. It has since redeemed itself on the price point side of things by moving to a subscription model of payment but is still lacking in terms of features and plugins.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Pro Tools to any professional recording studio that currently isn't using the software. Despite its deficiencies it still remains the industry standard for any studio, meaning that projects can be more widely shared and edited.

If you are a home studio musician who is only likely to record one input at a time such as vocals or guitar I would definitely not recommend this DAW. It's great that it now uses a subscription model to pay for its use but the features are still completely lacking against ANY other modern DAW, known or unknown.

The best scenario for using a Pro Tools HD setup is when recording multi-tracked drums. A DSP accelerated studio can process multiple tracks at once, feeding these into the headphone mix of the musician.

"Best DAW out here"

What do you like best?

I think this is the best DAW out there by far. Been Using it for 7 years. Its easy to use. If you learn the shortcuts, you can work very fast.

What do you dislike?

The Virtual Instruments could be better, I think there is a lack of variety.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn as much shortcuts as possible

Recording mixing and mastering audio

Pro Tools review by <span>Fred A.</span>
Fred A.

"Pro Tools, very complete audio production software"

What do you like best?

I can use it both at home or in recording studio, prepare recording sessions or work on additional recordings later, as well as edit any kind of audio tracks

What do you dislike?

Requires a lot of power, otherwise a iOs version would also be nice

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a strong computer, it requires power !

Preparing recording sessions, recording, mixing, editing

Pro Tools review by User in Broadcast Media
User in Broadcast Media

"Anything you could ever want"

What do you like best?

Pro Tools is far and away my go to for audio editing. It is quick when I need to get something out in a hurry, but it has all of the tools I could ever need. I have never once longed for a tools that I didnt find in Pro Tools.

What do you dislike?

At times some tools are very hard to find, when your system offers as much as Pro Tools this is to be expected. Pro tools also has a huge learning curve compared to other systems, be prepared to put in a considerable amount of time upfront to be proficient .

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have the money to upgrade to Pro Tools it is really the best option on the market.

Professionally I have used Pro Tools to fine tune ADR in feature films and create soundtracks for short films.

Pro Tools review by User in Higher Education

"Protools is the best audio production and edtiing tool on market"

What do you like best?

I truly like Protool's intuitive interface and the powerful tools it puts at your disposal. The edition tools are the most accurate I have ever encounter, after more than 9 years working professionally in music and audiovisual post production.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps, I would prefer if they stick to the traiditional software purchase model, instead of moving into the cloud model.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't thing the cloud model if what freelancer user would need. this model could take this market away.

Using the LE version is truly enough for an independent sound producer and engineer. It's all you need.

Pro Tools review by User in Higher Education

"Pro Tools is a must for Audio Professionals"

What do you like best?

I love that Pro Tools enables you to perform literally any sort of audio routing needed easily.

What do you dislike?

I dislike having to rearrange plugins when inserting one into a specific slot in the chain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pro Tools is a must for professional audio.

I am able to mix and master on a professional level.

Pro Tools review by <span>Nicola B.</span>
Nicola B.

"Professional Audio Editing Software"

What do you like best?

I think Pro Tools doesn't even need a review. But we are here for it, so: Simply put, Pro Tools is the best audio editing/mixing/producing software, ever.

What do you dislike?

I think its learning curve is quite too hard, but it worth the wait

Recommendations to others considering the product

I thins it's really one of the best audio software on the market, so, if you do a lot of mixing, editing and stuff, you should definitely consider buying it

I used Pro Tools at the Conservatory of Cuneo to produce and mix some electroacoustic composition, and i loved it.

Pro Tools review by User in Higher Education

"Intuitive and industry standard"

What do you like best?

The software is intuitive and easy to edit and mix once you understand the workflow. Its a necessary told in the audio industry since it is the standard.

What do you dislike?

My main issue is that you would need som sort of analog summing bus mixer if you wanted the final exported tracks to be free of minor artifacts. But im just particular about that.

Im trying to see if their latest version is comparibke with the pc laptop model since they are only tested with certain pc models.

Pro Tools review by <span>Phil H.</span>
Phil H.

"Pro Tools 11 is the industry standard digital audio workstation"

What do you like best?

Pro Tools 11 is finally a true 64 Bit application, that offers super fast 64 Bit mixing and recording.

What do you dislike?

While a fantastic program, Pro Tools 11 is not exactly cheap. And there is limited plug in compatibility.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Third party plug in's may not work with Pro Tools 11. Also, you need to buy HD Hardware to get the HD Software features.

Pro Tools 11 is fantastic for video editors who really like to get in and tweak audio during post production. I don't know how I worked this long without i!

Pro Tools review by <span>Michael C.</span>
Michael C.

"Shortcuts are essential quick maneuvering"

What do you like best?

The versatility of the software to be a composer, editor, live mixer and virtual instruments.

What do you dislike?

There is a steep learning curve if you're not used to the way a MacIntosh computer works. The program is designed with Mac in mind.

It's been invaluable when helping students understand the methods of audio production.

Pro Tools review by G2 Crowd User
G2 Crowd User

"Outstanding."

What do you like best?

I have used this a couple of times and must say its in a class of its own, its takes audio recording and editing to a whole new level. You can do a lot more than most audio production softwares and as a sound engineer, you are guarateed the best audio quality.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at all. Maybe a less pro version for beginers would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recoomended for best results

Audio and sound editing

Pro Tools review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"Fantasic Audio Recording and Mastering Suite"

What do you like best?

Avid Pro is absolutely the best audio recording and mastering tool in the industry. It easily interfaces with any audio interface and allows you to powerfully manage recording sessions, getting stuff done much faster and with high quality effects and mastering.

What do you dislike?

It is pricey- but you get what you pay for; high quality UX and features, cloud collaboration, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

ProTools is probably right for you if you are interested in professional recording. However, I would be extra sure to check out tutorials online- although intuitive, learning keyboard shortcuts and tricks for your particular mixing board is important to be able to run a successful recording session.

"Great for musicians "

What do you like best?

It’s very helpful and User friendly. Perfect when recording for fun or professionally.

What do you dislike?

It’s a great software but it’s also really expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended

Provides the best software for our production team to record quality sound.

Pro Tools review by <span>Ryan M.</span>
Ryan M.

"Pro tools is a fantastic program "

What do you like best?

The best part of Pro Tools is its versatility.

What do you dislike?

Protools can be quite complicated so it takes some time to become proficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it but be patient when learning.

Pro Tools allows me to accomplish my recording and mixing needs.

"Pro Tools"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to do editing. It makes it easy to instantiate lots of plugins and can handle all the processing power without hiccuping too much. I like that it is the studio standard DAW so my tracks are compatible wherever I go.

What do you dislike?

I don't think PT makes it as easy to compose music or to jot down ideas with virtual instruments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product that I will use for many many years to come.

I use Protools all the time and I am very comfortable with using it. It's the professional standard. I could not be a freelance engineer without it.

Pro Tools review by G2 Crowd User in Music
G2 Crowd User in Music

"Industry Standard"

What do you like best?

As an Audio Engineer, Pro Tools has all the absolute necessity in any work flow. It is industry standard for a reason because the work flow just very intuitive. The ability for a program to allow so much precision in audio editing is unheard of.

What do you dislike?

The MIDI capabilities are quite limited. Although offered, it does not offer the same features as many of other better DAWs such as Logic. Pro Tools was not designed for MIDI.

Constantly improving Pro Tools knowledge has allowed me to learn to work more efficiently therefore satisfying more clients

"Okay"

What do you like best?

It easier to connect with speaker and other equipments as well

What do you dislike?

It's not that user friendly compared to other software

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good software for sound engineering and design, the user experience might not be that easy, but you will get the hang of it in no time

to make some sound effects for projects. Easier to bounce the footage to use in other software

Pro Tools review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Industry Standard Program"

What do you like best?

Pro Tools is the current industry standard in music production . Pro Tools isn't the easiest program to learn but once you get the hang of it, it becomes a lot easier over time.

What do you dislike?

It is very easy to freeze the program depending on which plug-ins one uses.

As a college music technology program, it is only smart for us to use Pro Tools.

"It's very useful"

What do you like best?

It helps alot with mixing and mastering songs and you can edit videos.

What do you dislike?

If you have alot of sessions it can take up alot space on your computer.

Making music, it's how I make my income.

"Best DAW on the market"

What do you like best?

I love the navigation and quality of the DAW for mixing and recording.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more stock plug ins and better midi operations.

Use as a student/freelance engineer.

Pro Tools review by G2 Crowd User in Entertainment
G2 Crowd User in Entertainment

"Audio mixing"

What do you like best?

Amount of features for audio editing professionals.

What do you dislike?

Laggy and slow at times. Might be hard to navigate

Part of media output

Learning about Pro Tools?

* We monitor all Pro Tools reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.