Compared to the other PDM I know, there is nothing that i find done really well in Windchill, other than considering the basic idea of accessing a PDM-Database without a dedicated client. It is a good idea to just use the Web-Browser, but it comes at price...
1. Even with the almost empty database it always is slow, though the support said everything looks normal.
2. The search function needs work - filtering the search result not possible, makes the function basically useless.
3. Configuration via XML-Files and the available menues is counter-intuitive - in my opinion PTC is straight out lying, when they state their products to be intuitive to use.
4. The menue is not really context sensitive - RMK is not doing enough.
5. Selecting stuff i a clickfest.
6. Discription and comand naming is in my experience misleading (may be it's because i am familiar with commands in Vault...) (the concept of files, parts, WC-parts is an example of that... -> a WC-Part is an Item.)
7. There is no easy acces to the interface of windchill. Customizing the views is a clickfest. Even the Windows Explorer knows drag and drop.
8. You don't even become the real admin on your own server - (at least) I am only a site operations admin (we are the only site), while the real server admin, who is the only one who can create Users, sits at the resellers office and cost's extra money...
For Windchill 11 PTC is working on "Internet of things", as far as i know, while i consider the basic functions of windchill not satisfactory. And when I take a look at prices in comparison to Vault, that i know in depth, - Windchill is lost.
But when u already have PTC, you don't have alternatives, that I know of. So if I had money to buy CAD & PDM for a small to medium business i would almost all the times go for anything else than PTC...
My company does science projects with radiation and fluids. I work in the department for machine developement, so we create vacuum chambers, and many related machines.
Windchill should help to cooperate within larger products.
I was the designated admin for a Windchill 10.2 PDM-Link-Server, until the project got frozen for financial reasons. I still have acces to the test-server, with some test data and the standard configuration - nothing special so far, since i lack the special admin training.
I have in depth experience with Vault Professional, so everything I say can be seen in comparison to that.