PuTTY

PuTTY is a free implementation of Telnet and SSH for Windows and Unix platforms, along with an xterm terminal emulator.

Work for PuTTY?

Learning about PuTTY?

PuTTY Reviews

Showing 111 PuTTY reviews
PuTTY review by <span>Roderick Y.</span>
Roderick Y.

"Putty is a solid dependable way to get a command line"

What do you like best?

I like that Putty gives me the same *nix experience that I get on Linux and Mac machines, to access the command line interface.

What do you dislike?

One of the things that used to bug me was that there was no Windows installer, but that's changed as of last year, and it works well now. But, I there was no way to know that without visiting the Putty website - so watch that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a solid free application which is well-maintained (the website for Putty is https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) and robust. While there is no notification of updates to the application from the developer, other than that, it does exactly what it promises to do, and it does it well.

I started using only Linux and Macs to interface with *nix servers, and I stayed away from Windows workstations as a result. Putty changed that, making it easy for me to have the same familiar interface on Windows workstations.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about PuTTY
PuTTY review by <span>Nathan R.</span>
Nathan R.

"Lightweight, Effective SSH"

What do you like best?

PuTTY saves previously accessed IPs or Hostnames and has a robust set of settings and options. Some great settings available include being able to change the functions of keys or shortcuts, and even which keyboard you're using.

What do you dislike?

Minimal GUI means there's some learning curve. Putty is an open source piece of software so there's not much expectation of support, but it also means that there is a large community of users and a large install base so it's not too difficult to find an answer to a problem you run into.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PuTTY is very useful for remote administration of servers and other devices that can be accessed through SSH.

PuTTY makes it very easy to remotely access servers, including virtual ones. My team has recently discovered that we can enable SSH shell in the configuration for a VMware host and issue commands and update it that way.

What Other IT Management solution do you use?

PuTTY review by <span>Ignacio C.</span>
Ignacio C.

"a look at the remote connection"

What do you like best?

To be able to connect to remote servers by starting a session in them that allows us to execute commands. The clearest example is when we use PuTTY to execute commands on a VPS server and thus be able to install a program or configure some part of the server.

What do you dislike?

There are vulnerabilities in TCP / IP (it is not encrypted), it must have Computer Knowledge (knowledge of commands) since it is not used graphical environment, the commands must be used to be able to maneuver in the server to which we connect remotely.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This impressive Telnet and SSH client will allow you to connect to any remote machine to use it through your terminal in a simple way from windows. Despite its simplicity, it has many more options than other paying customers. This manual also offers an introduction to the use of SSH, explaining the differences between SSL Shell and Telnet. Discover the main PuTTY features and learn how to start an SSH session using your username and password.

The Telnet client part is more unknown to me, but the clearest example of use is to connect to our home router to configure it through Telnet and open ports, etc. In short, with PuTTY we managed to open a command line session on the remote server to manage. One question that may arise is why use PuTTY? What are its advantages? This application is like all, it has its good parts and bad parts, but if it is true that it mostly has great advantages such as the following: It is free and open source.

Available for several platforms (Windows and Linux).

It is a portable application.

Simple and manageable interface.

Very complete and offers great flexibility with many options.

It is in constant development.

PuTTY review by <span>Jasmine G.</span>
Jasmine G.

"Putty is a simple yet powerful terminal application"

What do you like best?

There's a lot of things I like about PuTTY:

1) it comes with Portable version, no install needed for me to use it.

2) Available in all platforms - windows, mac and Linux

3) Allows me to save sessions so I can log in to it next time more faster

The most that I like is "automatic copy on selection" it allows me to copy text messages that I've highlighted making me more efficient

What do you dislike?

There's no option to save passwords to each sessions. No tabbed windows option too

Recommendations to others considering the product

PuTTY is free and no install needed, plus it does not each much resources.

I have been using putty to login to our network devices remotely, it does not eat that much resources so it does not slow down my pc whenever I access multiple devices

PuTTY review by <span>Samir M.</span>
Samir M.

"Simple yet effective SSH client"

What do you like best?

PuTTY's clean and fast interface leads to a simplistic yet power packed application. If you know what you're looking for and how to configure your SSH connections correctly, PuTTY will be just what you're looking for.

There's also a version for CAC login called PuTTY-CAC which allows for even more functionality.

What do you dislike?

At times PuTTY can be confusing. Loading saved sessions is clunky and can be a bit tricky.

I wish there was an SFTP feature for the CAC version.

Multiple sessions require multiple windows, a tabbed UI would be a great addition.

Copying sessions is also a bit confusing, as you have the load the session, rename it, then save it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try SuperPuTTY or MobaXTerm if you're looking for a more powerful SSH client

We use PuTTY to connect to our application servers for deploying/logging/debugging.

PuTTY review by <span>James F.</span>
James F.

"best terminal application, simple yet powerful"

What do you like best?

I like putty the most because I can use it without even installing the software, it comes with a portable version to use.

Second, I can save my sessions (list of IP addresses and hostnames) so that I can access it easily next time.

Third, interface is customizable. I can change font type, size, color depending on my eye preference.

Lastly, there's an option to save all the logs to a txt file automatically

What do you dislike?

Nothing much I dislike about putty, only that I cannot save username and password for each session. (alternative for this would be to use SSH key)

Recommendations to others considering the product

PuTTY is free and comes with portable version unlike other terminal softwares out there

I use Putty to access remote devices via command line

Learning about PuTTY?

* We monitor all PuTTY reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.