QuarkXPress

QuarkXPress is a design and layout tool for print and digital publishing professionals.

Work for QuarkXPress?

Learning about Quark?

QuarkXPress Reviews

Ask Quark a Question
Showing 91 Quark reviews
Quark review by <span>Evan H.</span>
Evan H.

"Quark Xpress, the good, the bad...."

What do you like best?

Robust desktop publishing software, leader in the industry, great fun to use. Got the job done. Used it from version 4 through 10, 15 years. Nice typography control to create really nice branded experiences. It was fast to start up and get going, once it was through crashing.

What do you dislike?

Need to purchase a lot of 3rd party plugins to get it to do anything. There were some horrible years of crashing and instability, causing stress on whether client files will become corrupt. Quark was also terrible with customer support, it was like calling the police. They did not seem to listen or love the customer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hate to say this but our agency was vested in Quark, we still own 2 programs, but at some point we migrated to Indesign, probably because of integration and use of all other Adobe products.

Huge multi page newsletters. Output to press. Indexing, posters, business cards, ads, it could handle multiple items and products. It was the main program for the office, every project was done in QuarkXpress.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about QuarkXPress
Quark review by <span>Scott B.</span>
Scott B.

"Helpful"

What do you like best?

When it comes to Quark we use it to create and update programs and ancient files from years ago. We have an older version that still holds up to newer programs like Indesign. I would say Quark is resilient through the ages and has great features like character styles, linking text boxes with chains, master pages etc. It works well in creating PDF booklets and has a simpler interface that is easier to learn the basics.

What do you dislike?

While it does have an easier interface which is great, It really primarily in my eyes is more for text. I wouldn't design a magazine cover or Ad on Quark like I could on Indesign. The way it renders eps / pdf images are subpar and clunky.

We can go into our archives and still edit and re-new old files with Quark, so it has saved us so many hours in the factor that we don't have to recreate our old files into new ones on Indesign etc.

What Desktop Publishing solution do you use?

Quark review by <span>Laura G.</span>
Laura G.

"Just What I Need"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use that I have with Quark XPress. I can use it to create small or large projects and I have the flexibility and design control that I need. I've used the product for many years and the upgrades just keep making it better.

What do you dislike?

There are features that I would love to use if I understood them better. Easy-to-follow tutorials would help solve this problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to explore everything the program has to offer. Then explore it for yourself. It may take a little time to get comfortable, but once you know the basics it is a breeze to use.

I use Quark XPress to design print and social media ads, brochures, booklets, etc. When my freelance graphic designer is not available, I can use Quark XPress for smaller jobs and save money on design fees.

Quark review by <span>Gary H.</span>
Gary H.

"Desktop publishing software"

What do you like best?

I've used Quark XPress since the 1990s when I worked for our local newspaper. Since leaving the newspaper 11 years ago, I always make sure that my employer allows me to purchase a copy of Quark as I'm very familiar with the product and can design and produce a wide array of marketing/promotional materials.

What do you dislike?

As Quark has evolved over the years, I have not, so I don't use many of the new features. Some are hard to use or difficult to understand. If you've never used Quark, it could feel a little intimidating but the learning curve to produce basic things isn't bad. I'd love to dig into the program and learn how to use more of its features, but I just don't have time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like Quark XPress because I've been using it for many years, and it has always served my purpose. I know the shortcuts and features of the program, and it helps me produce and publish quality documents and materials. Some of the features are a little difficult to use, but for the most part, Quark is my go-to program. Also, if you're a non-profit agency, you can get a big discount on the price.

Quark helps me design flyers, create promotional materials, and even works as a word processor. You can easily convert documents to PDF or EPS. And many of the features of the program can't be found in other desktop publishing software. It's my go-to program when I need to design, edit, or convert a file.

Quark review by <span>Adrienne L.</span>
Adrienne L.

"Querky "

What do you like best?

This program can get very precise. Measurements can be exact and the dialog box for PDF output selection is also detailed. Packaging work and pulling linked files and fonts into one location is easy.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the program will freeze or shut down. A "Recovered Files" folder will then appear on your desktop that may or may not have your latest files. You are also limited in the types of files you can import into a Quark document.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to set the auto saving mode to ON so that you can keep your most recent files in case the program crashes. This is a powerful layout program and you can get very precise and achieve accurate printing results when tricky folds and perforations are part of the design.

Style sheets and layers are your friends!

Brochure and booklet design. Multiple pages and style guides are a breeze.

Quark review by <span>Franz W.</span>
Franz W.

"Smart Tool"

What do you like best?

Typographic Possibilities and Wording like i learned as Typesetter in Mid-70es; Convert a Document in different multiple Channels like PDF, HTML, ePub, Page-Sizes; Listening to Consumers on Forum and special on Facebook (the only Reason to use Facebook is this Group where you get Information by Others and also Quark without Flame-Wars) and over the last Years a strong Product-Cycle of Enhancements starting with XPress 2015. Combination of different Sheets like Font-. Paragraph-Stylesheets. Automatic Functions like Conditional Styles to make non experienced Users ready to Layout simple Products like a 4-Page Newsletter.

What do you dislike?

Missing some Typographic Possibilities like define a Drop Caps-Font in Paragraph (remember Ventura?); append in Conditional Style a Sign like "at the End of Story append <". Features like "Job Jackets" or "Composition Zones" are complex, so i'm missing Videos about how to use and in which Situation its a smart Solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Proof your Tool, whatever you now use.

I used XPress for Years from Flyer to Book, from Newspaper to Magazine. Testing ePub and now HTML. Also tested other Layout-Tools but stay because i don't see a real Benefit using one of other Layout-Tools.

Learning about QuarkXPress?

* We monitor all QuarkXPress reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.