QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Quickbooks Desktop Pro. Organize all your business finances in one place. Track your money, import from your bank, and always be ready for taxes. It's accounting software made easy.

Work for QuickBooks Desktop Pro?

Learning about Desktop Pro?

QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 808 Desktop Pro reviews
Desktop Pro review by <span>Rob J.</span>
Rob J.

"The only accounting software I've used"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks is easy to use and simple to set up because they have several templates to get you started. After answering some initial setup questions, Quickbooks will set up your books in a quick and easy format. You may not know what some of the answers are if you're just starting out, so stay general. I also like the reporting feature where you can see your current situation, see cash flow, understand how you've performed against last year... all at a glance.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I find that Quickbooks has so many options to decide, it can be cumbersome to set up and or proceed. One thing that is frustrating is now knowing how to automate several steps or tasks. I have automated several things already, but there are still several I'd like to know how to do. I also do not like the difficulty in creating customized forms (invoices, etc.). I'd like them to look a little different (including the ability to add some fine print instead of just adding another line).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set it up correctly or you'll be spending a lot of time later fixing what you messed up from the beginning. If you don't know, get your accountant to help you set it up. Well worth the investment (and I'm not an accountant).

I can get my accountant a set of books that he can use to calculate an estimated tax liability every quarter (or monthly) if that's what I need. I always know where we are with regard to profitability and sales vs. last year.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about QuickBooks Desktop Pro
Desktop Pro review by <span>Blakely W.</span>
Blakely W.

"Love Quickbooks"

What do you like best?

I love that it us user friendly. I was taking accounting courses as I began learning the software and it really helped me to know the ins and outs of bookkeeping. It does everything we need.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is every time I update Quickbooks it messes the connection to our time keeping software. However, the issue might just be with the time keeping software.

Sometimes, when I send paystubs it glitches and sends the wrong paystubs out, I am not sure if this is a problem with our email exchange however.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend QuickBooks Desktop Pro to anyone in need of accounting software, because QuickBooks has been around for so long and it's updated so frequently, I am not sure if there is any software that has its capabilities. I have contacted QuickBooks for help a few times and they are always quick and efficient to fix my problems. If I ever run my own company, which I hope I do, I will purchase Quickbooks in a heartbeat.

We use Quickbooks for everything: payroll, benefits tracking, expenses, AR, AP, and all of our reporting.

What Accounting solution do you use?

Desktop Pro review by <span>Dawn A.</span>
Dawn A.

"Lifesaver"

What do you like best?

Expense tracking! It helps keep track of those small expenses that really add up. That, in turn, helps us make decisions for the best use of our capital. It makes answering questions about our financial situation so much easier to do with absolute comfort - I know that the answers I am providing are correct and will assist in making purchasing decisions. The reports also are essential in attaining financing from outside sources, and they compile themselves!

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing to dislike QBP!! It's a great way to avoid hiring an accountant if you have even the most limited grasp of computes and the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend buying this program to anyone looking to easily keep track of their business financials - it would be helpful to anyone who needs to know where their money is going.

Expense tracking, balance sheets, profit & loss statements - everything that we need to properly keep track of our business - not just the human aspects of running a bar, but the nuts & bolts behind it.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Diane U.</span>
Diane U.

"It Has a Mind of Its Own"

What do you like best?

It has a beautiful interface and very nicely connects with your accounts.

What do you dislike?

PAYPAL DUPLICATE TRANSACTIONS: I couldn't figure out why I had up to three transactions in Quickbooks for every one PayPal debit card transaction. Frequently, there would be two debits and one credit in Quickbooks. It turns out that there is no workaround to prevent this from happening, even in the new software I'm using, but the new software clearly showed me what was happening with my account, which made finding a solution easy. (I'm currently in the process of switching accounting software.)

MISTAKES: Quickbooks also does not allow you to easily undo mistakes. Sometimes, you simply cannot. :-/

MOBILE APP: I get an error every time I try to upload a picture of a receipt using the mobile app. This is why I dinged "reliability."

RESOLUTION: With the PayPal issue, Quickbooks required that I unlink PayPal and connect it a certain way. This deleted all of my work with my previous transactions, such as categorizing and uploading receipts.

NOT FOR BEGINNERS: As someone who catches on quickly, QuickBooks was NOT intuitive (unlike the new software I'm switching to). Even after figuring out my PayPal issue, QB seems like too much of a pain to continue with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use their search function to figure things out. You'll quickly find that support doesn't offer real solutions to anything.

Basic accounting for my small business. Organizing and record keeping to make tax season easy. Keeping electronic receipts organized and connected to transactions.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Michael S.</span>
Michael S.

"Used 50% of Quickbooks for 11 years"

What do you like best?

I am happy with the stability of the product. I run two insurance agency offices. So there is a lot of QuickBooks that I do not use. I don't bill customers or deal with receivables in the program. I don't keep an inventory or use credit cards through the QuickBooks.

I have been a long time user of their payroll though. I'm no accountant, but rather than use their full-service payroll, it's been easy enough to use their Enhanced. They calculate the pay and taxes. The program also builds up the payroll forms each quarter. I just need to process them. Easy with eFile for Feds. For State forms, I have to go to the State websites and transfer the QB form data to the state's format. But it's not overly cumbersome,

What do you dislike?

Payroll cost for what they do is high, in my opinion. I pay $465 annually, plus $7 per payroll check. I pay twice a month, That's $675 a year and all they really do is tweak the software. I'm still responsible for running the forms, error checking, submitting them and then paying any payroll taxes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a light use business like an insurance agency, it's probably more software than you need. I could certainly get away with using a lighter type of program. But it is nice to have the flexibility of a comprehensive tool.

Having been a long..long...time Quicken user, getting up to speed on Quickbooks was not too much of a leap. At least not once I remembered my college accounting class. I

Desktop Pro review by <span>Zach C.</span>
Zach C.

"Accountant Using QuickBooks Desktop for Hosted Businesses"

What do you like best?

I like the familiarity of the QuickBooks interface. There has not been much turnover from year to year and moving from 2011 to QuickBooks 2017 with companies on every version in between is a breeze. I never feel lost inside QuickBooks

What do you dislike?

I do not like the certificates that open up with every use. I have to click through those and they just become a hassle. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with this software at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The comprehensive desktop solution to your accounting problems. There are numerous benefits to using desktop versus online. The main factor being the depth of use. Accountants will always feel more comfortable in desktop even though Online has taken off as of late.

We have been able to assist small businesses in securing profitability through the years with all of the information that QuickBooks supplies regarding the entries and financial data we have input.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Rosemary B.</span>
Rosemary B.

"Great for Small Businesses"

What do you like best?

My favorite part of the QuickBooks program is that it is not an "all or nothing" solution. We use this for sending out invoices and tracking payments but not for payroll and expenses, and it easily allows for this partial use. We don't have to use every feature it has, and it doesn't constantly request that we expand into other feature uses. I also like that it does not require advanced computer knowledge to run this program -- I am able to teach new people in the office the basics of using the program without any problem!

What do you dislike?

I have had some problems with the stability of the program, and I wish there were an easier or more streamlined way to create and save backup files. When the program automatically backs up it does have a tendency to freeze, and we have had to reinstall the program a few times. It is also difficult to get through to customer service -- there are a lot of departments, and it is not always clear which one to seek out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would look carefully at which version you need. This one has a lot of features, and may not be necessary for everyone.

I implemented this software when I started my position with the company. It has greatly increased the organization of our billing and allows us to pull up account information quickly and accurately. Because of this program, we also switched to the Intuit mobile card payments, and that has made a huge difference in our ability to accurately and efficiently apply payments to their respective accounts.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Zachary B.</span>
Zachary B.

"Excellent Service, Easy to Use, But Not Without Flaws"

What do you like best?

We use QB Desktop Pro for EVERYTHING! Paychecks, Invoicing, Customer Sales, Human Resources. The user interface is very simple. We have everyone in the office using it, and love being able to customize who can see what, and who has authorizations to perform certain tasks. We have also gotten a ton of use out of the Desktop File Doctor and the QB Connection Diagnostic Tool. We recently replaced our main computer and it threw us for a loop the first few days. Using those two tools, however, we were able to get our systems back up and running. Our staff usually receives very limited training, making this the PERFECT system. It requires very little explanation, and can be picked up over the course of a day, and mastered in less than a month.

What do you dislike?

Unless you take advantage of all of it's features, QB Desktop Pro can be somewhat clunky. I've read similar reviews that critique the ease of creating and sending invoices, and I agree. The default of utilizing Microsoft Exchange to send emails seems so outdated, and no matter which email program we select, there's still a 30% chance of it not working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you plan to use it for all the aspects of your business, it's the only way to go.

We have a centralized place for all of the most important aspects of our business. We utilize the reporting and ability to link email to client accounts almost every day.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Jill G.</span>
Jill G.

"Small Business Accounting Software: room for improvement"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to import banking and credit card transactions, and the ability to track consulting hours to create invoices for my clients. I also like the ability to create report with my company logo, although the report editor needs improvement.

What do you dislike?

I have used the software for almost 15 years. It used to the the "gold standard," but seems to have peaked several years ago. The software has become more and more difficult to use. Now that Intuit has new owners, the products and support are lacking. I just upgraded my software this week, and it took several tries to install the Windows version. I am disappointed that Intuit no longer supports a Mac desktop version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand your company's needs before selecting small business accounting software. If you sell products or services, or plan to pay employees, then make sure that the software you select meets all of your "must have" requirements.

I use QuickBooks to manage my management consulting business. The software allows me to track consulting hours and expenses and create invoices for my customers. I can download bank and credit card transactions into QuickBooks and assign them to the proper projects and General Ledger accounts. At tax time, I create reports and give them to my accountant.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Sheri S.</span>
Sheri S.

"Quickbooks pro adds value to your small business"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks Pro is a fast and easy way to maintain time records and can be customized to provide the information you want in a way that tells you what you need to know. It organizes my billing and serves as an independent log of my clients and information about them and their cases.

What do you dislike?

I wish I had time to learn how to really use the program. I am sure it can do many things I am not currently using. Also, I find the tutorials and instructions difficult to follow and use. Every time I print bills, Quickbooks Pro tells me I can send the statements to clients electronically. I wish I could get my computers set up to do that and I wish I could figure out how to do it. As it is, I print the bill, scan it,

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it. Figure out the huge number of things it can do. Learn to use it so you take advantage of all its benefits.

I can input time and expenses throughout the day as I perform work. This saves a step and assures I am always up to date.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Richard G.</span>
Richard G.

"The Industry Standard"

What do you like best?

The user community and install base is huge so most issues have been handled before and you can find solutions online pretty easily.

What do you dislike?

Generating and sending invoices is more convoluted than it has any reason to be. There is no way to easily re-bill a set of invoices, you have to go into each one and select it. Sometimes when you create a new invoice for a client, it doesn't mark it as ready to print when saved, and there is no default settings to change this behavior. This has been a known issue for several years and Intuit doesn't seem to care about changing it.

Reports are pretty good. The ability to drill down on a report is better than just about any other program I've used. You can click on almost any number on a report and get a sub-report of everything that comprises that number.

Bank feeds cut off about half of the incoming transaction description from the bank (the rest gets put in memo field), extending the import would make creating rules a lot more useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at quickbooks desktop and quickbooks online. They are similar but not identical, then make your choice

If your more than a one man show, you have to have an accounting package. I'm not certain that Quickbooks is the best thing,. but it absolutely is the most common for a reason. It works, and your accountant is going to know how to use it (which really really matters)

Desktop Pro review by <span>Shane O.</span>
Shane O.

"Quickbooks makes accounting easy"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks makes it easy to track expenses against a budget, keep up with payroll, or track down payments. It also ensures that you are always on top of things when it comes time to make tax withholding payments. It keeps all of your financial information and accounting records in one place. It's also helpful in tracking accruals of vacation time.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the search function isn't the easiest to work with. When trying to find a missing payment or a specific dollar amount, it sometimes doesn't seem to return all of the matching transactions. There is a little bit of a learning curve to start using Quickbooks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Quickbooks is the standard in accounting software, so I can't recommend this enough. Even if you aren't entering transactions on a daily basis, it's still helpful for an executive to be familiar enough to look up information so that you don't always have to rely on your accountant or bookkeeper to pull the information you need. The only drawback is that the one time we did need support, there were long waits on the phone and it was a little difficult to get our problem solved.

Quickbooks gives us an easy way to keep track of personnel payroll, vacation accruals, tax information, and custom deductions. It makes it easy to make sure we are following all state and federal guidelines on withholding as well. This is in addition to all of the other business benefits of tracking checks, revenue, expenses, etc.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Janet G.</span>
Janet G.

"Makes reporting so easy"

What do you like best?

QuickBooks makes end of the year reports a breeze. It takes us no time at all to gather all of the necessary information. Payroll is simple and easy to handle once all set up. Its nice to have it all in one spot. Tracking payroll liabilities and such has taken so much work off of me and freed up a lot of my time.

What do you dislike?

Paying for payroll as a separate entity is a bit disappointing but overall not that big of a deal. Setting up new payroll liabilities can be a little confusing if you are new to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a breeze. Its so nice to have everything right in front of you and at your finger tips. There's a ton of reports to give you any information you might need.

Payroll - its so simple, quick, and easy. It saves us time and money. We are a small business and do not want to pay for another company to process our payroll, but no one has time to spend hours processing it in house. QuickBooks handles it for us and it fast.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Carlos S.</span>
Carlos S.

"The accounting standard with challenges to customize for your business and ongoing data retreival"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks is the standard and it does well to run reports and export them over various time periods and so on. Sharing information with others and working with others is easy because of its ubiquity and people's familiarity with it.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, Quickbooks is not great for different types of businesses and industries. Working directly with the general ledger can take some time to get used to. Intuit has become less supportive of the desktop version as they want users to instead use the web for a subscription fee, though it is viewed by many as less robust.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those unfamiliar with the system, spending a significant amount of time to prepare for use or consultation with an accountant could be very helpful. Also expect to spend time with data reconciliation with various bank reconciliations and data imports and data entry that is based on external information such as those created in Excel.

Producing basic financial reports is essential for any business. It lacks ratio analysis and integration with files like Excel to import and confirm information within the system.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Ashley K.</span>
Ashley K.

"Fairly user friendly"

What do you like best?

I use this product daily for multiple businesses and find that it is fairly user friendly. For the one company, running payroll is a breeze and never an issue. Logging AR and doing AP is pretty straightforward on this platform, which helps make invoicing and payments easier.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I struggle to find the appropriate report I need, the names of the reports can be misleading or do not end up giving me what I thought it was going to be. Also, if I need to make a change after I already put in payroll information (but haven't sent it yet) I am unable to do that. That is frustrating when you need to make a small change but it seems it won't allow you... unless I am not finding the function in which to do that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Another great product for small businesses. It really allows you to do everything in one spot and makes it fairly easy.

I am getting our billing done easily and I can even email it out from QB. Tracking money and payments and bills is easy and effective and we can keep a close eye on our register.

Desktop Pro review by <span>John G.</span>
John G.

"One of the only real choices for small businesses for their accounting"

What do you like best?

The main reason I stay with the Desktop Pro version of QuickBooks is because not all of the features I use are available in the online version. So, I will likely continue to use Desktop Pro or Premier until all the features in the desktop software make it to the online version.

For small business, there are not many choices and QuickBooks has been around a long time and does what a small business needs. For that reason, I do recommend QuickBooks to my clients. I am in the IT business and support many small businesses. Most if not all of them use QuickBooks. - mostly because that is what I recommended they use.

What do you dislike?

Networking can still use a lot of improvement. Network access can be slow at times and frequently gets mucked up. This is one area that Intuit has struggled and the need for networking of QB data is a must.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For small business, this is the right choice.

Invoicing and cash flow are the two main benefits to my company.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Timothy R.</span>
Timothy R.

"Small Business Industry Standard - Now a Money eater "

What do you like best?

This is a well developed mature accounting software, with a minimal amount of learning curve. You will find that it can do anything in the world of finance world for small business. I have learned how to use Quickbooks since I was in college and since then they have just added a bunch of bells and whistles.

What do you dislike?

They make you buy this every 3 years for literally no reason other then they want more money. Also they MAKE you have a password, and this get kinda Annoying. I'm not working in an industry where my financials are top secret and I should be able to make my own choice to put a password on. THEY SPAM YOU about payroll and getting you to presses your credit cards with them. I don't get why I just can tell them no once and that would be the end of it, this isn't the case

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are no real Choices when looking for other software to use. It is a good software, they used to put out a new program every few years or so but now they have fell into the pattern of putting out needless yearly updates to make you pay more. Also I would say that you should go with the desktop version because at the very least you own your own data. If you go with the cloud version... they have/own your data.

We use QB as our accounting suite. this is the recording of financial transactions for internal and external reporting.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Andrés S.</span>
Andrés S.

"Very complete +/- easy to use... But if it fails, good luck fixing it. Lots of technical problems."

What do you like best?

We've used quickbooks for about 10 years and every year there are small changes that make it a little more pleasurable to use and a little easier to use. Over the years haven't seen a major change that will require all of us to re-learn so the additions and changes do not get into they way when we are trying to work.

The forms editor is quite good (not perfect); it is easy to enter basic information and payroll is pretty easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The software crashes a lot. Sometimes it just refuses to start, sometimes it kicks out people "just because" and sometimes it is impossible to get back in until the server or the user's computer is restarted.

When quickbooks is installed, a lot of additional unwelcome software is installed on my machine that runs even when I am not using quickbooks at all, that is very annoying.

Saving to PDF and emailing from QuickBooks (if you use Outlook) can be challenging and tends to lock up a lot. We use Adobe's "PDF printer" to generate PDFs and never use Quickbooks' Save as PDF function unless we are in a suicidal mood.

Their support people is nice but extremely pushy whenever we call for something, always trying to sell something new and extra. Very annoying. Last couple of years they are a bit less pushy but still very annoying sometimes.

Lastly, renewing payroll if you want to purchase the renewal through a third party like Amazon or Office Depot or whatever is a labor of patience and love. Intuit will always try to charge you for the payroll update (last time they charged us like $ 400) and then later refund. It always entails calling tech support with the serial # one purchased and well, waste 2-3 hours on the ordeal. This happens every year.

So, the software is good and useful but it drives one crazy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to have someone technically savvy at hand because eventually it will break and you will panic (very justifiably).

Accounting is at the heart of a company's operation so if you are unable to access your data, well, it can be disaster.

We handle all accounting and payroll with it. We have electronic deposit for employees and e-checks for suppliers so all in all, very helpful.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Jonathan T.</span>
Jonathan T.

"Great Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

We have been using QuickBooks for years. It is integrated into our 3rd party receivables software and that makes everything so much easier. The ability to import/export payments and invoices makes our account receivables process very easy. The ability to write checks and have them go straight to the register is a great feature as well.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are connection issues between different users. We use it in a multi-user scenario and sometimes the connection to the host file gets lost and it takes a while to get that back up and running. The web connector service is great, but sometimes it does not want to allow the connection to a new user.

QuickBooks makes accounting so much easier. I have a bookkeeper that really only has to work a few days a week to keep our books balanced because of the features and tools that Quickbooks has. Running reports and getting the real data that I need is easy and takes very little time to complete.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Shari L.</span>
Shari L.

"Great accounting software for small businesses!"

What do you like best?

QuickBooks is easy to use for non-financial professionals yet comprehensive enough for financial professionals to get all they need for accounting and financial reporting.

What do you dislike?

Don't like that you are required to upgrade every couple of years if you use their payroll service. The software itself may still work fine for you and you don't need anything that a newer version offers but you're forced to spend the money to upgrade in order to continue using Intuit payroll.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's perfect for a small company that just needs the basic accounting features. It also meets the needs of government contractors as well as larger companies that have more complex needs. I've been "pitched" a lot of other software packages and I've seen no reason over my 17 years working for this company to even consider switching!

All financial activity is recorded in one place from invoicing customers to paying vendors to paying employees. It's a 1 stop shop and even integrates with our time reporting system so payroll is a breeze as well as government contracting requirements.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Joseph S.</span>
Joseph S.

"Why QuickBooks is my favorite..."

What do you like best?

DISCLAIMER: My review is based on my experience with other accounting software like Xero (recently used), QBO (recently used), MSGP (back in 2014), Intaact (2012), ACS Technologies (2009) and BPCS (2009).

The QuickBooks Desktop product line (e.g. Pro, Premier, Enterprise, Accountant, etc.) is my number one favorite accounting software. Relative to other accounting software, some reasons why QuickBooks is #1 in my opinion are:

1) It's intuitive (which makes the owning softwar company's name, Intuit, very fitting). You can find what you are looking for easily with its menus or online community portal.

2) Unlike other Frankenstein software like MSGP, QuickBooks desktop is put together from beginning to end in mind. MSGP by comparison is a mess because in order to satisfy what the company needs for accounting, the user has to incorporate a bunch of add-ons. The whole conversation process costs a fortune and the contractors you hire to make the switch seem to NEVER finish the implementation. It's just a huge mess with good money thrown after bad.

3) You'll find your answers. QuickBooks is ubiquitous among businesses small and large. If you can't figure out what you need yourself, go to youtube or google and ask your question. It's rare that I don't find an answer to what I need this way.

4) It's fast. QuickBooks can move as fast as you can hit the keystrokes. Their shortcut keys make for higher productivity. Reports can be modified in seconds. You can find stuff in no time.

5) There's a audit trail report.

What do you dislike?

There's not much I dislike about QuickBooks desktop. Maybe a few things are:

1) I cannot have more than one A/R or A/P line item in a transaction.

2) Aside from manual journal entries, I wish that QuickBooks would default the debit line item first before credits after a transaction is entered.

3) There are plenty of controls, but it might be nice to have it so that a staff accountant can input the transaction, but the manager has to approve it.

Even though QuickBooks is user friendly by comparison, if you don't understand accounting, there's a very good chance you'll screw up your books. That's no fault of QuickBooks - it's user error. Maybe this is why QuickBooks has a stigma with accountants in larger companies - "QuickBooks is for neophytes, not sophisticated financial professionals like myself," they say.

QuickBooks has the reputation for only being suitable for mom-and-pop companies, not larger companies with employees. I've had accounting supervisors tell me this multiple times at different companies. When I press them for specific reasons why QuickBooks does not work for their company, many times they cannot think of a reason why - it's just the fashionable thing to say.

There may be some legitimate reasons why a company needs to upgrade from QuickBooks Pro. For example, you cannot consolidate financial statements from multiple companies (but QuickBooks Enterprise can). Or if you need a full blown ERP.

But before you make the switch ask yourself: DO THE BENEFITS OUTWEIGH THE COSTS!! If you switch to a Frankenstein software (like MSGP), you might get new functionality and integration from other departments, but now you LOST the streamlined ease and basic functionlity that QuickBooks offers. Maybe you should consider having SEPERATE software applications to keep track of what it is you are trying to incorporate into your accounting system. Or use a company like Level Field which can lay on top of all of your software applications (CRM, ERP, accounting, marketing, etc) in real time. Talk to my friend Jude Samson to learn more - http://www.levelfield.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even though QuickBooks is user friendly by comparison, if you are a small business owner and don't understand accounting, there's a very good chance you'll screw up your books. That's no fault of QuickBooks - it's user error.

I would definitely have a qualified accountant or bookkeeper help you set up, periodically review or manage your books.

Everything! It's a full accounting information system that is suitable for probably 90% of all businesses out there. It's no ERP, and it may not have all the solutions for all companies, but it's a whole lot better than the majority of other software I have used.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Tiffany A.</span>
Tiffany A.

"Easy-to-use desktop accounting software"

What do you like best?

I really like the ease of setting up the software and the flexibility it offers to accomplish what I need to do. I am not an accountant or bookkeeper and with a little instruction, I was able to set up accounts, keep track of expenses, run necessary reports and reconcile credit card and bank statements.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that I feel compelled to manually enter all information rather than using the online download or connect options. I find that the transactions don't always match the way that I expect and I spend a lot of time trying to match them so that everything reconciles. I'd rather just save the time and do it manually rather than having to undo a lot of work. Also, the online version offers the opportunity to add documents to bills/invoices. Not sure the desktop has that function and that is a miss in my opinion. I have to store them elsewhere on my computer when I'd rather keep everything together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't need the easy collaboration offered by QB online, Quickbooks Desktop pro has a much richer feature set and is easy to use and easy to maintain. If you're a novice, you may need some assistance setting up accounts the first time, but it is very straightforward after that. Just be consistent in the way that things are entered.

We are a very small business and the fact that I can keep my own books with a minimal accountant review once a year saves us a lot of money. I can also keep very close track of expenses and use reports to see when I need to pay bills and also for budgeting and communicating key financial info to the CEO/CFO. Also great tracking of unpaid invoices.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Andrew D.</span>
Andrew D.

"User-hostile without a manual or a pro to guide "

What do you like best?

QuickBooks Desktop Pro (QBD) is powerful and full-featured. Several of the main features (bill and invoice generation, invoice numbering, etc) can be automated, which helps with productivity. Once you learn how to translate your context into QB activities, it's not quite as user-hostile.

What do you dislike?

It's unintuitive unless you're a trained bookkeeper or accountant, and it will eat your life if you try to make sense of it unassisted. Do NOT go there. Most candid experts say it's designed to permit accounting pros a suitable level of flexibility while alienating casual users -- in that mission, it definitely succeeds. There's no documentation and the crowd-sourced knowledgebase is pathetic and poorly supported, so without a trained expert to help, you're entirely on your own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Each business is different and will use QBD differently. It's the reference standard for bankers (ie, lenders), investors, and accountants. The supplied templates for setting up your business are next-to-useless and there's no doc, so unless you're willing to invest (10-20x the cost of the product) in an expert to guide you, it's dangerous to pretend it'll help you much. I've tested every fiber of willpower mastering it because I want to be proud of my financial records, but even after 3+ years' dedicated effort its ROI is negligible.

All I know for sure is that the alternate product, toward which Intuit and some bookkeepers will push you, is QuickBooks Online and it, by comparison, is a toy -- far fewer features, maddening usability issues, and even worse knowledgebase support -- so if you don't need concurrent multi-user support or access by Mac users, stick with QB Desktop and invest (a lot) in learning to make it serve you.

I use it for my accounting, spending 10-15 hours a week with it. You need to concentrate while using it; there's nothing innately helpful or supportive about QBD that will prevent you from making expensive, hard-to-fix mistakes. It's a big-league tool that marks you as a serious business, and may pay dividends later (like when used with Intuit's TurboTax Business). Just don't count on instant gratification.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Erica L.</span>
Erica L.

"Bookkeeper using Quickbooks"

What do you like best?

Very intuitive design which makes it easy to learn and use, i like the ability to import, and i like the ability to create reports that i can drill into detail for on screen. I also like the bank feed register and the ability to perform reconciliations to a bank account.

What do you dislike?

There seem to be some big flaws in the bank feed. I have a lot of transactions imported from a bank account go missing, and items in the bank feed will become unselected or info from them disappears when scrolling up or down in bank feed. I also don't like that it won't allow me to import my budget from excel and don't like a lot of the limitations that are provided (like changing multiple transactions at once) if not in the accountant version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be wary of imported transaction missing, user the reports in standard view and drill down to see the detail. Check the bank feed transactions when you scroll up and down because the vendor will go missing and items will become selected or unselected without your knowing.

Business problem solved: takes care of bookkeeping and prepares financial statements, allows me to track performance to a budget, allows me to see expenses easily for review. And the benefit is I get paid to use a program I find very straightforward for work, which reduces the amount of time I need to spend on accounting.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Rachel  W.</span>
Rachel W.

"Quick books Desktop is easy to take on & manage"

What do you like best?

First of all, the QB system support is incredible. As someone with limited knowledge for non-profit accounting, I quickly caught on with all of the required systems with the great support.

What do you dislike?

The system isn't always the smartest design - sometimes really have to search to find what you are looking for. Also, we have had a bit of trouble with sign in on multiple computers, but that may be a personal issue with out laptops.

Everyone having access to the same account is an awesome perk. Anyone can go in and pull reports they want, rather than putting too much work on one person. Being able to measure direct income and outcome, and income tracker and payroll connection is an excellent resource!

Desktop Pro review by <span>Carolina R.</span>
Carolina R.

"User Friendly Business Accounting"

What do you like best?

I like that even without much experience with the software, it is relatively easy to use. There are even webinars or easy how-to videos for free online that help you use quickbooks online. An easy little help desk connects you to articles and posts made by folks who have had the same issues you may gave had in the past.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the Audit history for payments does not show which invoices the payment was applied to. Mostly minor features to make it more user friendly, but overall a great product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend linking your business credit card accounts (as easy as linking bank accounts) for easy tracking and categorization.

We are currently using QuickBooks as our main accounting software for our company. Not only are we using it to track the money we bill for and receive, it is keeping track of our business credit card expenses and categorizing expenses. Once tax time comes around, it is smooth sailing.

Desktop Pro review by Administrator

"Works well, within limits"

What do you like best?

I like the user friendly interface and the simplicity of the bookkeeping and payroll features. This is an excellent solution for a small business. I have used quickbooks successfully in many small business ventures.

What do you dislike?

Fund accounting is a bit difficult and requires work-arounds outside of the system; i.e. excel. Distribution of overhead and direct expenses between departments is time consuming and not intuitive. It doesn't scale exceedingly well as the company grows in terms of employee count or annual revenue. The budgeting feature leaves a lot to be desired, as it must be entered month by month rather than annually, and program budgets must be entered individually rather than intuitively or based on percentage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great bookkeeping tool. Its limitations are in the details - tracking individual dollars is challenging as there is no perfect was to allocate revenues and expenses with different tracking levels and measures. Payroll feature is sophisticated and easy to use. Of all the payroll solutions I have used, this one is my favorite.

This is a good payroll and accounting solution for a small to medium sized business without a lot of allocation detail requirements.

Desktop Pro review by Administrator in Religious Institutions
Administrator in Religious Institutions

"Works Well for Non Profits"

What do you like best?

That allows you to do a cash base accounting instead of accrual.I also like the ability to sync with my bank and know what things have cleared. I now do not have to wait to reconcile to know this. Also I like the ability to limit what a user can and cannot do. This gives us the scalability we need to use the software with more volunteers, and employees.

What do you dislike?

No matter how you try it will never be able to give you a Donor Year End Financial statement. Also, how when things are pending in my bank they do not sync. So for instance when my merchant deposits into my account, the money is there, but quickbooks sync will not recognize it til it post. I then have to take one more step and log onto the bank website from my browswer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can save you hours of time. Especially with the online sync for your banking information. It allows you almost a play by play, day by day, view of available funds.

We keep track of all of our donors and financial records. A Great benefit is the multi-user capabilities. Currently we have just started using the Server/User platform for entering our donation records. This had been a great benefit. We now how 3 data proceessors, and know that quickbooks will help us expand to more when needed.

Desktop Pro review by <span>John E.</span>
John E.

"Great for a small business with a few employees."

What do you like best?

The add on payroll module handles all employee wages and taxes, with flexibility for a mix of hourly and salaried employees, with an option for Direct Deposit.

What do you dislike?

The Software assumes that you will bill your customers through Quickbooks. If you do not, or if you do not have customers, the way some things are set up is unnecessary, and having to skip it every time is repetitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think really hard about the benefits of the online vs desktop version. Our setup does not need the added flexibility of the online subscription based model and we can save some money by going with the desktop version, so we do.

Easy fund tracking. Complete record of all payments to vendors and expense reimbursements. Easy Payroll management. Automatic recurring bill reminders.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Dennis B.</span>
Dennis B.

"QuickBooks for Quick Work"

What do you like best?

QuickBooks Desktop Pro has been our accounting software of choice for more than 15 years and our organization probably could not survive without it. It installs in a flash, is automatically updated, is intuitive to use, and gives our checks and invoices the professional look we absolutely need. It really makes quick work of any accounting task and our outside accountant loves it because it's the same software used by that firm.

What do you dislike?

It seems slow to load upon initial start-up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask your outside accounting firm for a recommendation because it will probably be QuickBooks.

QuickBooks saves us a ton of time when filing taxes and 1099s.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Celestina C.</span>
Celestina C.

"Organize Your Money"

What do you like best?

The empowerment of being able to process payroll and tax payments with QuickBooks are my favorite features. The nice layout allows for a whole new level of organization for managing my money.

What do you dislike?

It's quite easy to make electronic tax payments, but it's also easy to forget to go outside of QuickBooks to the individual website to file the report that coordinates with the payments. (EX: Texas Workforce Commission quarterly report)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Paying a fee to use the software and paying a fee to be able to process payroll and submit tax payments is worth the time you'll save. QuickBooks is so sophisticated that I can only imagine what I want to do and it's probably possible.

Business Problem: Thankfully, I don't have problems to solve right now.

Benefits: My accountant prefers QuickBooks so as long as I made diligent entries throughout the year, sharing my file is efficient and saves her time and saves me money.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Heidi H.</span>
Heidi H.

"Great integration with all Intuit Products"

What do you like best?

It's easy to learn how to use and works well with TurboTax since they are both Intuit products. And I love that I can email invoices to my clients and they can pay online securely.

What do you dislike?

Every 3 years, Intuit makes you buy the latest version if you want to continue to use their online services to email out invoices to clients. And it's not just a check $100 upgrade fee, you need to spend hundreds of dollars each time. Personally, I understand they need to make money but I really think this is annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are serious about your business, this is the best accounting software around. I would highly recommend it and just make sure to take the time to learn how to set it up correctly in the beginning. Once you have your business set up, it's a breeze to use.

Being able to email invoices saves money on postage. And allowing my clients to pay online securely gives them a sense of security. Plus, I am able to check my profit and loss at any time to see where I need to make changes in my business. The best part is that you can set up your accounting to export all information into TurboTax when you do your annual taxes, what a time saver!!

Desktop Pro review by <span>Dawn B.</span>
Dawn B.

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

I like how simple the interface is to use. There are tips and guidance that come up the first time you use it. You are able to easily look up help and typically find the answers you need.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you have to pay separately for different services. I also do not like that at times you are forced into buying a new version, because they will stop supporting the version you have. It is an expensive product, and I think you should be able to use it for more that a could years when purchased.

I used this for keeping track of my income and expenses. I used to use it for payroll, but it is very expensive and I found a different program that works just as well. I like that you can link your bank account to QuickBooks and reconcile the transactions there with what is recorded in QuickBooks.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Andrew M.</span>
Andrew M.

"Great way to track all you business invoicing needs"

What do you like best?

It's organization of its features is probably one of its strongest attributes. Organizing all your clients couldn't be easier with this program. Customizing your invoice templates is great along with the different things you essentially need to keep track of when you run your own business (payroll, sales report, inventory, etc.).

What do you dislike?

I work with multiple monitors. It would be great if the windows separated and dropped into my other screen but they apparently don't offer that at the moment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's good to also have Microsoft Excel for keep track of all your pricing. Quickbooks is good for storing pricing for a particular client but for general pricing, consider a spreadsheet program like Excel.

The biggest problem owning a business is keep track of all the clients who have paid and haven't paid. Quickbooks organizes all your clients and keeps note how much they currently owe and how long have they gone without paying. Biggest benefit is creating estimates and keeping all instances for reference of price or even just duplicating altogether.

Desktop Pro review by <span>John G.</span>
John G.

"Game Changing Invoicing - De Facto Standard"

What do you like best?

Hands down the easiest and simplest invoicing and accounting software to use ever. Started a side business and this has changed the game. Hands down the best thing to happen to us.

What do you dislike?

It was challenging to figure out the tax feature and what goods/services were taxed a certain way. But I figured it out with some tutorials.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even though the software is super easy and user friendly, i still found it helpful to watch the tutorials. Would recommend doing the same to make sure you get the certain little details down.

-invoicing

-accounting

- taxes

-product management

-profit and loss statements

-payment processing

-direct deposits

Desktop Pro review by User

"Easy, cost effective way to do accounting for your business"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, but it does take time to set everything up. You could hire a bookkeeper for that. At tax time it's easy enough to give the information over to my tax accountant. I either hand her a disc or usb stick. I like that I've switched to emailing invoices. It saves time and money.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I can think of is that using the cloud based format, requires an ongoing subscription payment. I'm use to making one software purchase, and not needing to upgrade often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to be mobile, I'd suggest using Quickbooks Online. You would be able to access your records, as well as customer/client information while out in the field. Nothing to download on a computer, it's cloud based.

I can email invoices to customers, which has saved me money on paper, ink, envelopes and stamps. I can see the income/expense at any given time. It can be a month, a year, or comparisons against previous year or previous month or year from right now.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Daniel B.</span>
Daniel B.

"QuickBooks Pro"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, quick to get up and going on it. QuickBooks has historically been the market leader in a software solution that's easy to use and can be universally applied. Software is easy yet it has a lot of features. QuickBooks is also recognized by a lot of users because of the amount it's use has saturated the market. This makes it easy to share data and "talk shop" with other users.

What do you dislike?

Not a whole lot of advanced features for more experienced accountants. QuickBooks stays on the side of ease of use mroe so than on practical application. There are many times when I've needed a more advanced way of tracking or a different way of setting up accounts to fulfill a certain objective. In addition, QuickBooks is rather weak in a non-profit setting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before using QuickBooks make sure you fully understand the capabilities involved. Think about what you're needing in accounting software, what level of tracking you require, and if there might be another solution out there that would work better for you. Based on your needs QuickBooks might be perfect, or there might be a better solution out there for you.

The best way to describe the problem I'm solving and the goal of QuickBooks is to have the ability to take data input and create useful output, such as financial statements. QuickBooks does a fine job, but there are a lot more ways that data can be presented.

Desktop Pro review by Administrator in Real Estate
Administrator in Real Estate

"Quickbooks Pro Easy to Use "

What do you like best?

Screens have graphical option..easier to understand and read. Great to be able to copy checks and change the date for those recurring payments that you don't want to set up as recurring but want to eyeball every time.

What do you dislike?

Some budgeting procedures difficult, particularly when trying to input a new budget if you don't want to use the same expense and income categories as the previous year.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Examine the features and determine which add ons you need. I am not using the online credit card processing at this job but I have in the past. Cloud backups are great and I would recommend them.

Solves the problem of looking at year to date expenses compared to previous year to date expenses. I like the way it allows me to see where my spending is not in relation to budget but in relation to the previous year.

Desktop Pro review by User

"Discontinuation of QB for Mac 2016 will force me to abandon Intuit after 25 years of patronage"

What do you like best?

I use Quickbooks for Mac 2016 to track finances for eight LLC’s that contain real estate investment property. Each entity must be treated as a separate company in QB for bookkeeping and tax purposes.

I have used the product for years with general success. It has broad functionality, but the Mac version sometimes has bugs.

What do you dislike?

Intuit has announced the discontinuation of support for the desktop version for the mac starting in May of 2019.

Converting to QB online would require me to purchase eight separate subscriptions. My accounting methodology utilizes the of ‘classes’ feature in QB, therefore requiring me to subscribe to the PLUS version. Total cost would be $50 x 8 companies x 12 months = $4800 annually.

When I expressed concern to Intuit, they offered the following options:

1. Get rid of my Mac and buy a PC

2. Stop upgrading my Mac from OS and stay with OS High Sierra forever

I see only two solutions that Intuit can offer to avoid alienating a broad section of the Mac community:

1. Reverse this new policy and continue upgrading and supporting QB for Mac

2. Offer a commercial solution by offering deep package discount for users like me would need multiple subscriptions of QB online.

Comprehensive book-keeping capability.

Desktop Pro review by User

"The most effective program out there for writing checks"

What do you like best?

The number of tabs and organization are the best and easiest to follow. If there is anything that is not clear, virtually anything can be learned by googling because the program is popular. I never used it before and easily learned it with a few weeks, I would like to continue to learn how to use more features so that I can become more advanced with this and possibly teach others how to use it.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I did not like was that I had created checks by accident, under a different account and could not figure out how to delete them. There are so many parts to this that It will take a long time to figure out how to fully use this product. That might be one of my only complaints, but it is more impatience than anything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this product to anyone who would utilize for accounting purposes of any kind, small or large business

Our primary purpose of business is writing checks so I don't know what we would do without this program and the user friendliness of it.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Julie T.</span>
Julie T.

"Quickbooks is a quick and easy way to handle all of my bookkeeping needs."

What do you like best?

The reporting feature is what I like best. It makes it easy to find a specific transaction or invoice. I like being able to run a profit and loss and the drill down on specific categories to see what makes up a specific dollar amount. I also really like that the balance sheet works the same way. In fact, most of the reports do. It is nice to be able to know exactly what expenses make up a specific category.

What do you dislike?

The help feature is not very helpful. I usually have to get on the internet if I have a question about how to use something. I have frequently spent a lot of time searching for and answer to a question and have still not been able to find an answer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I wish I had taken a class on all of the programs features before I started using it. I still feel like there may be features that I don't know about that may be helpful to day to day reporting and such. There are some features that I also don't quite understand such as general ledger entries that I think if I took a class I might have better use of.

QuickBooks makes it easy to categorize expenses by job and bill those expense out appropriately. It keeps me organized from payroll to billing.

Desktop Pro review by User

"Easy to navigate, user friendly, easy to keep track of all business documents."

What do you like best?

QuickBooks is user friendly. Meaning it doesn't take a ton of training to learn the program and it can be learned quickly by both computer literate employees and those who struggle with technology.

What do you dislike?

The quickbooks program we use tends to crash a lot on the remote computers using it.We have a multi user system and when in multi user mode the remote computer will often throw up an error and abort after an extended period of not using QuickBooks. You can simply restart the program but it just proves as an inconvenience when a customer is on the phone looking for a balance or information on their job and you have to restart Quickbooks while having them on the phone line.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a small business, QuickBooks works easily for our accounting and payroll. It is easy for our employees to use and teach to new employees. It is very user friendly to those who are both computer literate and those who struggle with technology. It is also very cost efficient and worth the investment, as it helps keep your accounts receivable and accounts payable in order.

QuickBooks allows us to find customers quickly for all job related activites such as their estimate, invoice, payment records. Quickbooks also allows us to keep track of both accounts receivable and accounts payable quickly. We also use the program to show profit and loss statements so we can keep track of how our business is running.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Tracie J.</span>
Tracie J.

"Quickbook Desktop Pro/Premier "

What do you like best?

User Friendly Interface makes QuickBooks Desktop easy to use and simple to navigate. I can get where I need to be with a single click of the button whether it's invoices, bills, payments, payroll or reports I need to access I get there fast.

What do you dislike?

General Journal Entries are not always easy with QB Desktop. I often struggle with finding where those have gone and making sure they show up correctly in my reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a class or get some instruction before you just jump right into a QB program. It can be daunting unless you have some idea of what you are up against or at least some accounting background.

The problem of farming out payroll and invoicing A/R and A/P as well as collections has easily been solved with the use of QB Desktop. The benefits realized are a decrease in payroll expenses related to outsourced payroll. More accurate invoicing and in house tracking of cash flow.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Pam F.</span>
Pam F.

"Easy to use and very intuitive"

What do you like best?

There are a wide variety of standard reports to choose from and you can easily customize any of them with their filters,.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I dislike. I have always loved how easy and reliable QuickBooks is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

QuickBooks constantly has sales on their products so they are not expensive. Give it a try and see what it can do for you. I highly recommend it.

It allows you to use multiple screens to look at different documents that are related to each other all at the same time. I personally love having two-three computer monitors and being able to use them to save time instead of opening and minimizing my screens to work on one file when I need to see the data on another to work on said file. It saves on printing needless paper when you can just pull it up on a screen to consult it.

Desktop Pro review by Administrator in Religious Institutions
Administrator in Religious Institutions

"Easy and user friendly accounting software"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks 2015 Pro is what I currently have as our accounting software and I currently have 5 businesses and/or organizations accounts that I use under the one license key that I purchased in 2015. I have been using Quickbooks Pro for many years, but only purchase a new version about every 4 to 5 years due to the high cost of the software application. Quickbooks is very easy and user friendly with great support by using the "HELP" menu. You do not need to have a CPA college degree to use the Quickbooks software as there are tips that will walk you through the software application until you are completely comfortable in shutting the tips options off. You can create many accounts under one license. So, with someone like me who is a treasurer for several organizations and/or clubs as well as being a small business owner, it is very cost effective due to the purchase price of the actual Quickbooks Accounting software application.

What do you dislike?

The dislike that I have about the Quickbooks software application is the price of the software. It is very hard for someone like me who is a non-paid secretary/treasurer of many organizations and/or clubs to keep the software up-to-date. Another option that is available is to be able to email customers the invoices directly from the Quickbooks application, but for some reason my software application will not allow me to do so. So, I have to create invoice, receipts, and statements in the Quickbooks software, save down as a PDF using the CutiePDF application, and then sending the forms to the customers using my gmail accounts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please keep in mind that unless you are a larger business owner, Quickbooks is not always cost effective to keep purchasing and updating every year.

By using the Quickbooks Accounting software, I am able to keep an account for each of the organizations and clubs that I belong to as well as my home-based businesses all in one place. So, that is a wonderful business solution for me. This is also the best benefit of the Quickbooks Accounting software.

Desktop Pro review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Wouldn't use anything but quickbooks!"

What do you like best?

I've been using quickbooks for over 15 years. I've never received any formal training on the program, everything has been completely self taught. I find it to be pretty user friendly. So much that I have friends and family asking me to teach them quickbooks. I've worked with quickbooks in different trades from Non-profit, real estate and now construction, found that no matter what kind of business I'm using it for, quickbooks has it all set up perfectly for my needs.

What do you dislike?

It has a few quirks, freezing up, having to restart, but that's few and far in between. All in all, I wouldn't use any other product for my bookkeeping and finances than Quickbooks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Quickbooks Desktop Pro is the best product I've worked with for all your bookkeeping needs. User friendly and guaranteed to be able to do everything you need.

Estimating, Invoicing, Payroll. These are the main things I need it now and it works like a charm.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Angela V.</span>
Angela V.

"Highly flexible accounting option"

What do you like best?

You do not have to have an in-depth understanding of accounting to manage your business finances.

What do you dislike?

It has become almost mandatory that users upgrade every year, even if the version they are using is working well for them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a tendency to think that since QuickBooks Desktop Pro is a user-friendly software anyone can jump in and learn to use it. I have found that six months, a year, or even a couple of years down the line there are often problems that begin to crop up because things were not set up correctly at the beginning and over time those little issues are compounded and become bigger problems. It is wise to get the necessary training and/or support for new users at the beginning to make sure they understand how the software is intended to be used and designed to work.

Currently it is used for invoicing customers, tracking accounts receivable. I have used it in other places to track inventory, pay bills, and general accounting. I also used it at a non-profit to pay bills, do payroll, and track contributions

Desktop Pro review by <span>Vicki P.</span>
Vicki P.

"Easy to learn, Easy to use"

What do you like best?

With Quickbooks you can keep track of all of the expenses attributed to particular jobs. You can run lots of different reports and there are lots of options to pinpoint the information that you want. It is the only accounting software you need.

What do you dislike?

Once you have used an item you cannot delete it. So if you put something in erroneously and make a new item and move things to it, you still cannot delete the old one, you can only hide it. Also it is difficult to get the information that you want to appear on a customer statement to show up properly. I would like items in the descriptions to be optional to add to the statements.

Keeping track of expenses by customer. It is easier to make sure customers are billed for time and expenses because you track the customer on your time sheet and also when you pay an expense you can add the customer and check the box if you want to bill them for it. There's less chance of overlooking expenses that should be billed.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Andy P.</span>
Andy P.

"Generally works well for a small business"

What do you like best?

We've been using QuickBooks since 2003 when we started our business. My wife also uses it to manage the finances for the nonprofit community children's choir that she supports. It's quite straightforward to use, though on occasion things don't work quite as expected. It's also easy to share data with our accountant at tax time.

What do you dislike?

Not always completely intuitive for how to use some of the functionality. I'm sure we could be using it more effectively, but it does what we need it to do! We used to use PayCycle for our payroll, which was then purchased by Intuit and rolled into QuickBooks payroll (which is not nearly as nice as what PayCycle had set up). However, we've figured out a way to make it all work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A lot fewer "upsells" than some of the more recent versions. Pretty simple to use, and a decent value for the money. I'd love to see some competitors for this software to help encourage innovation, but so far no one has been able to crack that market very effectively.

We need to keep track of our finances, including invoices and accounts payable. QuickBooks does that for us. We also use it to handle payroll.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Karey H.</span>
Karey H.

"User Friendly and Efficient"

What do you like best?

Keeping track of customer payments, vendor checks, payroll and everything in between is simple. I easily learned the system within a week. Personalizing invoices and statements for your company and your preferences is simple . I like that multiple companies can be assigned to one username because we have 2 secondary companies under our primary company that I bill customers and keep track of income and vendors that complete some small jobs. Exporting reports to Excel is a feature that I love. I can easily customize my reports within Excel and that has been a lifesaver.

What do you dislike?

Customizing some reports has been a pain but not impossible. The reports can be customized by date and active/inactive/all customers or vendors but beyond that I cannot customize what I would like to see. The only other issue I encountered was customer support when the program locked payroll. From that I learned to back up my company file at the end of everyday so I could always restore the company if needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would make sure that you back up your files every so often just in case anything were to happen.

I no longer have to make 105 individual statements each month through a word document program and record payments in a secondary program. I can create 105 statements in Quickbooks within 2 minutes. I can quickly input data and have a new statement or invoice within seconds instead of redoing a statement within a word document.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Kailee H.</span>
Kailee H.

"Keeping on Track with Quickbooks"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks allows for an easy, hassle-free way of keeping track of progress on clients' work, and to make everything that eventually gets billed to them stress free.

What do you dislike?

As with most software, there are occasional crashes, but nothing too terrible. Additionally, it sometimes takes a while to load up, because of all of the facets of the software and all the data stored.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a software for billing clients or keeping track of work that is done for multiple different clients, this software is the easiest to use.

It allows me to keep track of the different projects I'm doing for different clients--allowing me to put how many hours I worked on something at whatever rate it is being billed for--and toggling between different clients as I switch from task to task. It is easy to multitask with Quickbooks.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Prudence P.</span>
Prudence P.

"I have use Quickbooks for over 10 years. "

What do you like best?

Quickbooks is an easy program to learn and provides all the necessary bookkeeping functions. Reports are easily exported into Excel. Report customization is also available and easy to configure. Customer and vendor records are easy to view. Accounts payable and accounts receivable are easy to maneuver and make entries. Bank Reconciliation is quick and easy.

What do you dislike?

The financial statement reporting is not detailed enough. We use several Quickbooks files for multiple locations because it's too difficult to maintain multiple locations in one file for financial reporting purposes. We considered going web based with Quickbooks but it was more expensive than our current pc based package. We have to download our Quickbooks data into our corporate accounting system so that we can achieve detailed financial reports. Quickbooks does have a record limit so periodically we have to condense the files which makes old information inaccessible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Quickbooks because it's user friendly and easy to navigate. It's an inexpensive program although it doesn't meet all of our needs we have yet found a suitable replacement. We use a report writer with our corporate accounting system to generate the detailed financial statements that we require.

Quickbooks is used at the location level by our bookkeepers and then downloaded and imported into corporate accounting system. We use Quickbooks for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, General Ledger and cash management functions. It's an easy program for bookkeepers to learn and use.

Desktop Pro review by User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Quickbooks is great accounting software to use for bookkeeping and payroll. "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that there is a main dashboard that shows the things that you use the most so that it is easily accessed. But that there are also other ways of accessing it as well. Also, the interface is easy to use.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you can not use shortcuts, so it takes a while to get through the different tabs you have open. Also, it constantly wants you to upgrade, popping up any time you go to log in.

There is also a lagging issue, but that just might be from the amount of people using the same software in the office.

It has been an easy software for me to learn and continue doing bookkeeping. Has all the tools to do the job properly. My job is mainly doing journal entries and reconciliations credit cards and bank accounts, so this software is perfect for what I need.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Cindy L.</span>
Cindy L.

"Robust enough for your small business not user friendly"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks has pretty much all that you would need and more in starting a new company and keeping track of your bills and invoices whether you sell services or products. I also like the ability to have multiple logins with different types of permissions for the account.

What do you dislike?

Quickbooks can feel clunky. It is not intuitive if you don't have an accounting or finance background. Quickbooks certainly requires some training to use well. I use Quickbooks Pro 2015 on a server so that we can have multiple users access the same account which was difficult to setup. With this setup, I was unable to send emails through Quickbooks for sending out invoices. I believe sending emails works through other email clients other than Outlook. I do think it's odd that Quickbooks doesn't work easily with Outlook given that Outlook a common email client for businesses. Otherwise you're at risk of screwing up your account.

Our company needed a robust platform to create accounting reports, track assets and liabilities, invoices and expenses in a secure manner. For us, keeping track of accounts receivables aging as well being able to create accounting reports quickly has been instrumental to maintaining our cash flow and the health of our business. Considering that I handle many business responsibilities, it is nice that everything we need from an accounting perspective is easily within reach.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Lisa G.</span>
Lisa G.

"Bookkeeping with ease"

What do you like best?

The layout of the program is configured for users who don’t necessarily need to have any prior experience with the software. Can easily navigate to find all functions and reconciling accounts is simple.

What do you dislike?

To send a client a refund check for overpayment should be as simple as clicking on a “refund” button. Instead there’s a few step process in order to print a refund check.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program is all inclusive and with the continuous updates, there’s no need to search for a different accounting software.

We use FileMaker alongside QuickBooks to run the business. I love how easy it is to find a report and modify it to meet my specific needs.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Alyssa G.</span>
Alyssa G.

"Quickbooks Desktop Review"

What do you like best?

You are easily able to classify your clients & the various "jobs" you may need to bill them for. It is also very easy to create and send invoices for various things. Easy to enter inventory and be able to sell things.

What do you dislike?

We can only have a specific number of people logged in at one time. We have numerous employees utilizing the program and will need to ask for someone to log out in order to utilize the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the number of people using the program into account when selecting what level you will be using. It will allow for ease of use between users.

We are using the program to manage our profit & loss information, as well as bill our clients for services rendered.

Desktop Pro review by Administrator

"Most User-friendly Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks is constantly updating with more user friendly features, updated tax brackets, and makes it easy to run reports to see where you are compared to the previous year.

What do you dislike?

When doing some tasks that are weekly, Quickbooks sometimes remembers the information from the previous task and sometimes doesn’t. (I.e. paying a bill, sometimes the account for the vendor is remembered from the previous transaction and sometimes it isn’t.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a small business with 20 people or less, it does everything you need for a very affordable price.

Aside from extremely detailed information, we are able to keep a customers complete file, pricing, history, contact info, etc. in one place. It makes it a lot faster to solve problems and help them

When they call. Especially for a business that has existed for 13+ years. That is a lot of paper you don’t always want to sort through!

Desktop Pro review by <span>Eva D.</span>
Eva D.

"EASY TO USE FOR ALL OF YOUR ACCOUNTING NEEDS"

What do you like best?

What I like best about this software is that it is super easy to use, and you can see how your business is doing overall in just a few simple clicks. With highlighted alerts and reminders of updates and additions, there's always more to learn about this program. From billing to payroll to P&L, this program does it all with very little effort!

What do you dislike?

Would like better invoice and report templates

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this product to all businesses, no matter what industry. This program literally does it all. And it's so simple, anyone can learn easily in a short period of time.

We can see how our company is doing financially with just a few clicks. The Desktop homepage allows instant access to all account balances, and the ability to move from one task to the next quickly and easily, using brightly colored icons for each individual task. The Insight tab gives you a full view of your Company's financials with colorful and easy-to-understand graphs. Whether your writing checks, billing customers, accepting credit card payments, processing payroll or reconciling a bank account - QuickBooks Desktop Pro does it all in the most simple, easy-to-learn way!

Desktop Pro review by <span>Shaya K.</span>
Shaya K.

"It's a decent accounting software, but hate all the extras you have to pay for which should be inclu"

What do you like best?

We use quickbooks because it nominally allows us to keep track of time slips per employee for each customer based on service items. However, much of the functionality is augmented through the use of 2 different integrations because either quickbooks doesn't offer that feature at all, or charges exorbitant license fees for a whole new desktop solution when all I need is one small feature.

That said, once you get used to how quickbooks just "does things" - using it isn't very difficult and pulling reports, etc makes a lot of sense.

What do you dislike?

I don't like their lock-in business model, making it nearly impossible to switch to a different accounting solution without a tremendous amount of administrative overhead and third-party expenses. I also dislike their model of trying to get accounting done on their cloud solution, which is not at all what we would be interested in due to serious privacy concerns (like an IRS audit).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think long and hard about making sure this solves ALL of your needs upfront. You may end up like us and not realizing that a feature we need has to be paid for either as a subscription fee or as a new license.

Through some creative integrations, we're now able to pull up job costing reports based on employee effort logged aggregated with job cost expenses, etc. We're also able to have multiple employees log time slips through another provider which then syncs just the slip data directly into quickbooks.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Megan S.</span>
Megan S.

"A Lifesaver"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks makes creating, filing, and paying invoices extremely easy. We frequently use the statements feature to let our customers know their billing status, past due totals, and YTD totals. QuickBooks Desktop Pro also makes payroll processing a cinch. I appreciate that QuickBooks calculates required taxes and other payroll deductions. It is extremely easy to find the totals that need to be paid out to unions or 401K programs using payroll report features and filters. It also makes paying weekly 940s and 941s quick and easy.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that QuickBooks can be a bit difficult to learn. It requires a bit of pre-existing knowledge and skill to find and set particular filters to find site specific jobs, addresses, and PO #s. The biggest issue we had with QuickBooks was setting up two users on the same company file on two different computers. It took awhile to set up firewalls that would allow us to both access the file, without compromising safety of our data.

We are currently solving issues with vendors with significantly past due invoices. QuickBooks allows us to send monthly aging statements to each vendor. These aging statements list the invoice date, due date, and how many days past due. We are also using QuickBooks to help our company go all digital and become paperless. This saves us money and reduces the amount of waste we put into the environment. QuickBooks allows us to scan documents to attach to invoices, that we can send out to customers directly from the current screen.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Violet K.</span>
Violet K.

"Worldwide Recognition in Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

Since we integrate parts of this software to our software, Produce Magic Software, it is critical that what we integrate works flawlessly, it does!

What do you dislike?

We have been fortunate over 2 decades, that QuickBooks Pro and Enterprise have worked so well integrated with our software. Needless to say, we have not found any problems. Yay!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Whether you choose QuickBooks Pro or Enterprise depending on the size of your business, you cannot go wrong. They have decades of experience working out any kinks they may have had and improved so well.

Our customers want to be assured that the General Ledger and Accounts Payable are held within a nationally recognized accounting system with an excellent background and accreditation. By integrating those two parts to our Produce Magic Software, a software for the fresh produce industry, we have not only solved that issue in case of audits, etc., it has made our software complete for over 25 years.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Karl G.</span>
Karl G.

"The only accounting software a small business needs."

What do you like best?

Some of the best features for me include its overall ease of use and the way the program is laid out so I am able to find what I need without having to visit many if any, sub-menus. I'm not a power user, nor do I even use one-quarter of the features this program has available, however knowing that it can expand with my business and be able to fill needs I'm currently unaware of make me have confidence in my choice.

What do you dislike?

If I had to pick some things I didn't like, the two top things are that sometimes things are a bit too complicated. That may come from the fact that I have no bookkeeping training and don't fully understand all the features this program has. The other is the added fee-based services that I think should be included in the price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't really have any specific recommendations, only that I have looked at many other desktop accounting solutions and Quickbooks is the one I trust. For the price, this software is feature rich (I haven't scratched the surface) and intuitive. The process you go through in the setup helps to tailor your experience inside the program. I'm not sure if other accounting software programs do this, but it works.

I've looked at some other "more powerful" and expensive software packages and the bottom line is that with Quickbooks you don't have to be an accountant to use it. Lord knows I'm not.

I like how easy Intuit has made the Quickbooks program, so easy in fact that someone who doesn't have an excess of time like myself can easily use it and have a good handle on my businesses financial state.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Pei-Yun Michele L.</span>
Pei-Yun Michele L.

"QB review"

What do you like best?

Good customer service. Though it always takes forever to have someone pick up your phone, QB people always try to do the best to fix whatever issue we have.

Create report in the way we love, and easily to export as a Excel file to edit.

What do you dislike?

Missing some minor functions for accounting purpose.

No way for us to record chargeback.

Difficult to figure out how to record a check pay for different vendors.

Need to create a dummy credit memo to issue a refund with the number we need.

Easier to finish annual report with data in QB.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Jennifer S.</span>
Jennifer S.

"Thorough but not intuitive"

What do you like best?

I can see where every account stands at any time. I can also go back through payment histories to see if payments were applied correctly. I can see open balances at a click and also a snapshot of where the company stands. Preparing tax forms are very easy.

What do you dislike?

It is not intuitive and comes with no manual. Figuring out how to do things the first time can be difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I decided to buy the desktop version so I can use it offline and am not required to buy the new software every year. I have been very pleased with the program but still have not learned all I need to learn to use it fully.

I invoice weekly but receive many partial payment over time that have to be applied to the invoices and then I make partial payments to contractors. This program allows me to see who has paid and hasn't paid and which payments I have made to contractors. It also allows me to keep information up to date for taxes.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Joe G.</span>
Joe G.

"Quickbooks Desktop Pro is a great way to do accounting paperless."

What do you like best?

Free trial version for new users, makes it easy to send invoices without having to use paper documents and instantly no time wastage, allows use on different devices making access to data easy from anywhere anytime because its cloud based. Simple features to navigate, its cheap at less than $20 you have the software to use on the go.

What do you dislike?

Requires skills not just for anyone one requires to have accounting skills to make proper use of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

QuickBokoks Desktop Pro is a cheap way to take your accounting work paperless in style. You will have access to data and share any required data even when out of your work place.

Doing away with paper documents, time wastage on posting invoices with QuickBooks Desktop Pro invoicing covers wide area and is instant.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Muhammad S.</span>
Muhammad S.

"Exceptional accounting system"

What do you like best?

With QuickBooks we are more flexible when it comes to using platforms, we don’t have to use only Pc or Mac platform. This tool helped us to migrate from desktop Pc to Apple. It is extremely easy to work with it, all we have to do is to log in and use the accounting software on the laptops. We can easily access QB while traveling or when working remotely.

What do you dislike?

I had some troubles with the conversion from desktop to online and the data didn’t move all. We have reported this issue and the support team has helped us,

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to understand and manage further reporting is exceptional. Payroll module is yet another outstanding feature of Quickbooks.

We were searching for a software that would give us more flexibility to migrate to our Apple device. We don’t have problems with our CPA to log in and it doesn’t require monthly reports. We don’t have to worry when the system goes down because the files are stored onto the servers and we can access QB from any other system.

Desktop Pro review by <span>JaCoby M.</span>
JaCoby M.

"Preferred over the Online Version "

What do you like best?

I have used QuickBooks Desktop Pro for many years now. I have to say that this version is the best for any company because it allows you to do everything that you need to do for your accounting, all in one software. It is always nice to be able to use a program to accomplish multiple tasks. I have used this software for a multi-million dollar company and has made accounting very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Even though this software is great, there is still a great amount of bugs in the software. I wish that QuickBooks developers would take the time to really develop quality software before pushing the new version out. Most of the bugs you can work around, but still they can be a pain to deal with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Makes your accounting life much easier!

You can directly import your bank statements into QuickBooks Pro which is awesome. All you have to do is give QuickBooks permission to access your bank account. Another thing that is great about QuickBooks is all of the different reports you can create. Good Software overall.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Abbie M.</span>
Abbie M.

"Quickbooks for Small Business Payroll"

What do you like best?

I love being able to keep track of my bookkeeping, payroll, and tax payments in one software. Processing payroll is a breeze as is making quarterly and annual tax payments.

What do you dislike?

There isn't a direct link from my dance studio management software (where tuition is processed) to Quickbooks, however, it's definitely not necessary and I am still very easily able to reconcile my payments and receivables.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great tool for small business owners to keep track of receipts, payments, and of course tax liabilities. There's no more need to dig through piles of receipts, but simply track expenses in the bank account register. It's really easy to learn and maintain.

Payroll processing, tax payment management, financial statements, and bank account reconciliations.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Carrie A.</span>
Carrie A.

"Great For Entrepreneurs Intent On Keeping On Track"

What do you like best?

The best part is the thoroughness of the reports. The more you enter, the more you can get out of QB later. Making sure your team is consistent with dates and information helps the reporting to be a breeze for your accounting department and your banking needs later.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the help section is overwhelming when trying to find a quick answer about something. A recent update changed most format styles and fonts, which was hard to adjust to. There is no easy warehouse inventory management section on this for those wanting to keep track of stock being brought in and then being sent out via warehouse tenants. We have to keep track of that on a separate program. QB can track inventory in a retail sense, but not in a commercial warehouse sense.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We suggest new users who have never tried a QuickBooks product to try QuickBooks online to see if it is an intuitive product for your team; then go fully into QuickBooks Desktop Pro. Testing out how employees can flow with the processes will let you know if this is the right choice for you!

We are able to keep track of parts being purchased for certain projects in our commercial shop. QB Pro benefits our commercial real estate side as well by helping us see which tenants have which specific terms on their accounts.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Tonya P.</span>
Tonya P.

"Overall my experience has been great with Quickbooks."

What do you like best?

It has been very organized and user-friendly for our company. I can find everything where it is most likely to be.

What do you dislike?

The biggest pet peave I have with quickbooks is the date will change and I do not realize it! This can be a bad thing unless you are paying attention!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very good software system to use. I have used it at other jobs and I really like it now. A few minor bugs to work out but otherwise it is VERY user friendly. I would definitely recommend it!

It definitely helps us keep track of our cash flow, our expenditures, our expenses, etc. it is a very useful tool.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Ranae H.</span>
Ranae H.

"A robust accounting software"

What do you like best?

Reports are very customizable.

The interface can be customized for your needs, you can remove icons you don't need.

Tasks can be done, or places can be reached, in usually three different locations (top drop-down options, search, icons, etc.)

Class and Job features.

One time expense to purchase it, which will last 3 years or so.

What do you dislike?

The program can be slow at times.

After three years, you need to upgrade because QB will no longer support that version.

Quirky bugs that are just never fixed. For example, when you search the file you click the search button, then when the search screen opens you need to click it one or two more times to actually search.

Not as user-friendly compared to QBO, it's very confusing for many of our clients - probably better suited for accountants and bookkeepers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be ready for Intuit to encourage you to move to QBO, if you feel you might move to online in a year or two - you may as well go with QBO now.

Use desktop if you expect to track inventory.

QuickBooks is basically required if you are going to be a free-lance bookkeeper, so there really isn't' anything to be "solved" because you need to have it.

Compared to QBO:

1. Job costing projects, running specific reports to show how a job is doing.

2. Tracking by class, reports are easy to read and customize.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Karen M.</span>
Karen M.

"Excellent entry point for professional accounting for a small firm."

What do you like best?

The combination of structure, based on business types, and flexibility to customize is one of its greatest strengths.

What do you dislike?

For non-accounting professionals like myself who are trying to wear the accounting hat for a very small firm, it could be a little more handholding.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your actual accountant, assuming you have one, is on board with the product.

I've used QB in small corporations (<20 people) and in several one-man firms. I have a firm view of exactly how I want to track things, and it allows me to blend my customization requirements with a firm structure of rules to keep me out of trouble with too much "ad-hockery".

Desktop Pro review by <span>Jordan A.</span>
Jordan A.

"Easy Accounting Solution"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks is very user friendly. Anyone could use it because it is so easy. Everything is laid out for you and easy to find. It's a one entry accounting program but it's definitely an easy and cheap solution for a small business.

What do you dislike?

Quickbooks is one entry accounting. It is too easy for someone at a professional level. Peachtree is far more useful and in the long run, is easier because it is double entry accounting. It saves you time and lets you do so much more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is easy but if you'd like to do more, go with Peachtree.

I have not solved any problems necessarily but the benefits are that it is simple. I would prefer a more complicated program that allows you to do more things.

Desktop Pro review by User in Building Materials
User in Building Materials

"Great for a variety of small businesses"

What do you like best?

The program is very user friendly, even for the novice users in my office. The job costing and classes capabilities are versatile to use them and build reports to what works best for you and your specific business needs. Works great for many varieties of small businesses - I have used it for electrical contractors, flooring contractors, kitchen and bathroom remodels, rental properties, a chocolate shop, and more.

What do you dislike?

Could use more report capabilities and ease of access for creating reports the way you want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Taking even a simple class/course in using Quickbooks may be helpful to get into the more advanced capabilities of the program and learn about more in-depth reporting to build reports that work best for your business.

Quickbooks is user friendly for other members of the office that aren't well-versed, and allows versatility in job costing to help track job profits.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Matthew Q.</span>
Matthew Q.

"Tried and True Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

Having used Quickbooks for many years I have always been very satisfied with the software and over the years it has only gotten better. The UI has changed enough so that it functions better and is more intuitive but not so much that it alienates those who have used previous versions. The integration of payroll and credit card payments is also a huge plus. As I said I've been using this software for my company for around ten years and I can't imagine having a software that works as well and allows me to get everything done. From invoicing to finance managing this meets all of my needs and then some.

What do you dislike?

Anything I have disliked has really been addressed over the years with updates and new versions. I still am not fond of the late invoice reminder as it's not super specific but other than that it's great.

I've been able to solve most of my financial and invoicing problems with Quickbooks. Having a software that I can invoice, make deposits, print checks, pay employees, balance my checkbook, pretty much everything is just awesome.

Desktop Pro review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"It gets the job done"

What do you like best?

I like the convenience of keeping everything organized. The reporting feature is useful and it's nice to have a reference point when multiple clients ask me about previous orders made by their other colleagues. It's nice to be able to create custom templates for our various forms too.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can become difficult when your trying to use it in multi-user mode. And while I understand the convenience of adding items to the system for reorder purposes, it tends to overcomplicate things when your in a rush to get an order entered.

It helps us keep track of unpaid and/or overdue invoices, and important notes/info regarding certain accounts on both the customer and vendor side of things. It has also made creating and submitting reorders a breeze.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Peter M.</span>
Peter M.

"Quickbooks Desktop Keeps crashing when i send an invoice"

What do you like best?

We have been using Quickbooks desktop since 1995 and it has served us well until now. I like the flexibility and speed of the software.

What do you dislike?

Currently using Quickbooks Pro 2014 desktop version and every time i try to send an invoice or an estimate to a customer quickbooks crashes me out and i have to restart. Been having this fault now for 4 weeks and they still dont have a fix. They say the problem is across all of the Quickbooks desktop versions and they dont know when there will be a fix it is just not on. There has been a clear push towards making everyone go online and i guess they just dont care about the desktop users enough to fix the issue dont by this product as it is at the moment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

dont get it until they have a fix for this and also the issues of sending invoices to mac users that cant open the pdf files you send them

at the moment is is causing me problems

Desktop Pro review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Easy Bookkeeping"

What do you like best?

For cash purposes, QB makes life quite easy and fast. True Accrual accounting is great too. However, if you need to toggle from Accrual to Cash, it's not 100% accurate

What do you dislike?

The inability of software to switch over to cash basis accounting. The program doesn't take into account the prepaid assets accounts under accrual. There should be a checkbox or something that can be marked so that prepaid asset entries can be tracked for accrual accounting or cash basis accounting

Recommendations to others considering the product

the toggle from accrual to cash basis accounting is not 100%. Under accrual accounting you have to track prepaid assets. These expenses don't transfer over to the cash basis, when you toggle. So if you need both types of accounting track-ability, you'll need to keep 2 company files.

Easy Profit/Loss trackability - expenses, revenue. Profits, etc

Desktop Pro review by <span>Stacy D.</span>
Stacy D.

"QuickBooks desktop is good accounting software for a small business."

What do you like best?

QuickBooks desktop is very user friendly. It is easy enough for a beginner to use but is also complex enough that a professional could use it. Most of the clients I see don't use all the features that are available in QuickBooks. It is a software that a company can grow with. A company can start with entering the basics and as they grow keep more detailed reporting.

Payroll can be paid through QuickBooks.

Chart of accounts can be set up.

Balance sheets and profit loss statements printed.

Budgeting kept up with.

Apps available to customize experience.

What do you dislike?

Inventory reporting could be improved. Ave cost accounting for inventory is automatically used which may or may not get you through an audit.

It would be nice if more inventory profitability reports were available.

Benefit: Works well with online business programs. Can import sales directly into QuickBooks with programs like Unify.

Works well with Stamps.com

Problem: Doesn't import transactions well from Paypal. There is a lot of clean up to do when imported with an excel spreadsheet.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Elizabeth H.</span>
Elizabeth H.

"QUICKBOOKS DESKTOP Review"

What do you like best?

I absolutely love how quickbooks fits all of the needs of our small business. We have so much flexibility along with Quickbooks allowing us to get done stacks of work in just ONE day. We love the fact that we can customize our Invoices, Orders, Purchase Orders, and many other documents that we use on a daily basis.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that we need to integrate other programs. For example, in order for Quickbooks to communicate with Worldship we need to subscribe to and integrate ShipGear. I think it would be nice if quickbooks would be capable of communicating itself. Could use a smoother back up system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Quickbooks is great for small businesses who want to stay on top of their billing and payables along the fact that it is so easy to learn & use.

We have solved our checking/banking account reconciliation with Quickbooks. It has been great having the capability to reconcile our checking account every month. Before Quickbooks we ran into many problems. We have realized that Quickbooks has brought the great benefit of Inventory tracking to our company. We can stay on top of our purchasing and inventory levels with Quickbooks.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Jennifer T.</span>
Jennifer T.

"Great Accounting Software for Nonprofits & small businesses"

What do you like best?

I like using QuickBooks for payroll, AP, AR, etc. Everything I used so far is fast and easy to use. It's very unlike other software that's complicated and difficult to use like FinancialForce. All of the reports are beautiful and easy to customize. Everything is easy to figure out and intuitive.

What do you dislike?

It's desktop version instead of online. It has more functions but not on the cloud.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wonderful software but there are some kinks with payroll. Eg. counting holiday hours as regular pay hours.

Doing payroll onsite has saved the organization a lot of money instead of having it outsourced. The reports are wonderful to help us keep track of aging.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Jason S.</span>
Jason S.

"Quickbooks, the starter pack of most companies"

What do you like best?

The COA and default reports are a good place to start for most companies. People who don't understand finances, can at least get through most of the roadblocks.

What do you dislike?

It can create some bad habits if you decide not to take the next steps in learning accounting. It does a lot, so there's some stuff you don't have to think about, but when it comes to explaining, or altering for GAAP purposes, it could be a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Decide on the length of time you need to be a small company. If it's short term, maybe start on a slightly larger and more scaleable product.

We used it to start out the finances at several start ups. It's good and quick to implement and go. It can create multi-entity companies, but doesn't always roll up accurately.

"Love QuickBooks Desktop"

What do you like best?

There are so many possibilities with QuickBooks desktop. Many more than things that can be vs the online version. It is easy to navigate and the reports are top notch. I really like to class items and this is so great to class and get the reports I want. I love that I can send invoices to customer's to pay with the intuit payment solution.

What do you dislike?

We have to upgrade every 3 years to the newest version because we use Intuit payments for invoices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it!

I can get a complete picture of the company's financial situation at any time with QuickBooks. It is great to have employees enter the data and I can oversee to make sure it is correct. QuickBooks does the hard work so I don't have.

Desktop Pro review by User in Real Estate
User in Real Estate

"Quickbooks for bookkeepers"

What do you like best?

Favorite function is the "Open Windows" task bar. I love it because I can just click on which of the open windows I have in the program and it will bring it on top for quick access.

What do you dislike?

Would like reports to reflect properly when payments have been made to an invoice (show a deposit happened) via accrual type report, instead of having to only use the cash version of reports (if you use the invoice/payments options).

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is great for small businesses, would not recommend for use for larger businesses. Small businesses that write a lot of checks by hand, do yourself a favor and get the ones you can print on and let the system print checks for you. It will save your hands! Another great thing is that you can put the system into multi-user mode, so that you and another person can work in the system at the time. Just make sure you are not writing checks or invoices at the same time.

Able to manage multiple accounts, printing checks, and completing monthly reports.

Desktop Pro review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Quickbooks makes Bookkeeping Simple"

What do you like best?

I have only ever used QB as my accounting software, but it's so simple that I was able to set it up for my parents without any previous experience. I've now used it in my own job for 4+ years and it made bookkeeping fairly simple for someone who started with no accounting background. I love the customizable reports (these are more flexible in the desktop version than in the Online version, from what I've seen), being able to email from the program, memorized transactions, and so many other features that I use every single day.

What do you dislike?

The fact that you require an expensive upgrade every couple of years is a bit hard to take. And the yearly payroll subscription is very expensive. I have found that if you just upgrade the program whenever you need to pay your yearly payroll subscription it's actually cheaper that way.

Quickbooks is simple enough that multiple users can have access and be responsible for different levels of activity.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Marsha B.</span>
Marsha B.

"The most productive and cost efficient accounting software for small to medium sized businesses"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks desktop version has everything a company needs to maintain their financial information, produce financial reports and make well informed financial decisions. The multiple windows option allows for multitasking in reviewing different areas of accounting at once. Automated functions and renaming rules allow for fast and efficient tracking. User controls can provide the ability to delegate certain activities to other team members. Accountant copy options allow for users to continue to work in the file while the accountant is making changes and importing the accountant changes at a later date without loss of interim data. The customer and vendor centers allow for easy snapshot overviews and the initial snapshot page reminds you what to pay or collect at a glance as well as current account balances for an at a glance funds available. Budgeting feature allows for budgets per class and multiple budgets creation and tracking. Budget performance reports are very useful. Job cost and income tracking is another incredible feature as it allows transactions to be selected as billable to pre-fill your invoice for the customer when generated reducing the necessity of redundant data entry. This is also an advantage of the time sheets function in billing. Inventory control is also a breeze allowing purchase orders to be converted to bills and payments within a matter of minutes and automatically updating inventory items within this feature. Inventory reports are also very useful when placing re-orders.

What do you dislike?

Quickbooks desktop is not as portable, meaning to access from different locations would require either a laptop or a remote login service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend Quickbooks desktop version for owners of small to medium size businesses who need complete and accurate accounting systems while remaining efficient and productive.

Efficiency and productivity within the accounting system is at its best with Quickbooks desktop version allowing for speedy transaction entry and navigation throughout.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Christopher A.</span>
Christopher A.

"Small business "

What do you like best?

The reporting and list features makes it easy to manage sales across a wide service area.

What do you dislike?

Some of the default report options are counter intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Quickbooks is such a standard in the industry that any questions you may have on the product, somebody, somewhere has already answered it online. The best source of help with the product is Google. That is a very powerful selling point for novice users who may feel intimidated by the software.

We have used QB to help manage our sales tax system to streamline reportingacroaa different jurisdictions.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Paul R.</span>
Paul R.

"QuickBooks Desktop Pro is the best Accounting Software Out There! "

What do you like best?

QuickBooks Pro Desktop has everything needed to stay on top of your company's accounting, no matter the size of your business,

What do you dislike?

The downsides are few:

1. It is that it is a locally installed program and doesn't offer the benefits of using a cloud-based program.

2. Updates need to be regularly installed, where Quickbooks Online updates are installed automatically by Intuit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

QB Desktop Pro is best suited for companies that do not require online access to their books 24/7. Desktop Pro is an installed program and thew cost is based on the number of users.

With Desktop Pro, we are able to manage:

1. AP/AR

2. Invoicing

3. Estimates

4. Payroll

5. Issuing W2's and 1099's

6. Maintain a complete customer database with notes

7. Set reminders to pay bills.

8. Bank reconciliation.

Desktop Pro review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"I am a Certified Public who uses QuickBooks Desktop Pro for my clients"

What do you like best?

I like the interface, speed, and functionality of the program. It's a very fast moving program, that is extremely user friendly and easy to use. I can easily make adjustments to my clients books and never have problems running.

What do you dislike?

Connecting to the bank account of my clients is a very shaky and clunky process. It is extremely difficult to do. This is why people are heading to QuickBooks Online. I have never successfully linked a Bank Account Real Time to QuickBooks Desktop, there is always a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't want Bank Account Linkage, then this is the best bang for your buck!

I am able to offer book keeping to clients that do not require QuickBooks Online and do not want to pay for the 15 dollar a month for the online program. This makes it very cost effective because the software is a oe time purchase.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Blanca G.</span>
Blanca G.

"Everyday Essential "

What do you like best?

When I first started working at my current company I was not familiar with Quickbooks and I liked how easy it was to navigate and learn if I didn't know something there is the help icon.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the system would crash and we wouldn't know the reason so we would lose some data.

We have team members that work remotely and it makes it helpful that we can work from the same Quickbooks file so it's making our teamwork improve. Some benefits include the ability to process accounting tasks in a timely manner.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Stephanie R.</span>
Stephanie R.

"Easiest way to keep track of finances"

What do you like best?

The program is one of the easiest programs I’ve used to keep track of all the financials for the business I work for.

What do you dislike?

The search engine for the program could have more in depth options to help find a specific transaction(s).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a solid and reliable way to keep track of your financials, this is the product to use.

The benefits of this program, specifically for the company I work for, are that I am able to easily keep track of specific transactions for personal and business relations. As well as enter detailed information per transaction, if need be.

Desktop Pro review by <span>Maria I.</span>
Maria I.

"Quickbooks Pro is a great tool for Accounting!"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks Pro allows me to organize and compile my financial data efficiently.

Other features help me to file my taxes on time and compute my payroll in a breeze.

Real time reports is a big help in analyzing the status of the company.

What do you dislike?

It costs a little bit more to take advantage of features of Quickbooks such as Payroll and Turbo Tax. I really need this in my services, so I got it.

Real time reports are generated. Easy interface, Organization and input of data is easy

Desktop Pro review by <span>Vince D.</span>
Vince D.

"QuickBooks hasn't changed one bit for my needs, but I have to keep buying a new version every 3 yrs"

What do you like best?

Now that I know how to use it, QBs is easy to use. It's just basic business bookkeeping and accounting...not rocket science.

What do you dislike?

QuickBooks hasn't changed one bit for my needs, but I have to keep buying a new version every 3 years. Why is that? Intuit gouges its customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Other than Peachtree, it's the only game in town. But Intuit shouldn't hold you hostage and force you to upgrade the same software every 3-4 years.

I complete my books for the year and simply create an accountant's copy so he can prepare my annual business taxes.