QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Quickbooks Desktop Pro. Organize all your business finances in one place. Track your money, import from your bank, and always be ready for taxes. It's accounting software made easy.

Work for QuickBooks Desktop Pro?

Learning about Desktop Pro?

QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews

Showing 972 Desktop Pro reviews
Desktop Pro review by Jordan A.
Jordan A.

"Small business essential"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks is a lifesaver for my small business. I design layouts, order/sell product, do advertising & bookwork all on my own, and quickbooks desktop makes it easy to keep track of customers & accounting information for tax time.

What do you dislike?

I wish quickbooks desktop had a solution kind of like quickbooks online, like a cloud where I could access my files from my laptop at work & then go home and use it on my home computer. I have tried QBO and I like the desktop program much better. I also wish there was a way of easily creating contracts similar to how you create estimates and invoices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend finding a local class to learn the program if you are having trouble, it is really a useful and easy program once you learn it.

Previously I was using spreadsheets to create invoices and then saving them to google drive, and often losing them, now I use quickbooks invoices which make them easy to retrieve.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about QuickBooks Desktop Pro
Desktop Pro review by Dutale I.
Dutale I.

"QuickBooks Pro is the only way to go"

What do you like best?

Being an Office Manager, I use all aspects of QuickBooks Pro. I use the reports, I use inventory lists to create my invoices. QuickBooks is easy to use even for the most basic functions.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that unless you are an Enterprise user, you cannot track your inventory in individual units.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always purchase the Support subscription. There are times when I don't know how to use one of the new features and I can call them and they go over it with me for as long as I need until I completely understand what the new feature is about.

Inventory Control. We use our lists and when we invoice to track the quantities on hand. This helps us by seeing what we have on hand so we don't go and spend money that we can use elsewhere. It really helps with our cash flow.

What Accounting solution do you use?

Desktop Pro review by Olivia E.
Olivia E.

"Great user-friendly option with advanced settings!"

What do you like best?

We love using QB for our business. It's interface is user friendly enough that someone with little experience can navigate it easily, but it contains components complex enough for those requiring detailed reporting and analytics to easily get the information they need fast.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to more easily go from report to report as well as comparing certain reports; this is easily solved if you have a huge desktop but if you are working on a smaller screen it may be a little annoying to go back and forth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research & make sure you are confident that this is the right solution for your business. There are a lot of great products on the market but we found that this was the best solution for our business based on the cost as well as performance. We felt confident going into our decision. We also recommend making sure adequate training is provided so that the transition & start up of the software goes smoothly. While it is a really easy software to use, there are a few quirks so it's best to make sure those who will be using it regularly take the time to familiarize themselves with the software before diving in and beginning.

All of our accounting problems are solved via this software. We now have easily been able to do payroll, all AR/AP & reporting that the company needs.

Desktop Pro review by Caitlin F.
Caitlin F.

"Quickbooks in the work place "

What do you like best?

I love how organized quickbooks is. I manage a retail interior design showroom and we constantly have new sales quotes we are sending out or payments that we need to record and quickbooks helps us keep this organized.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the login in process to quickbooks. I already have my email and password saved but have to go to another screen to fully login in. I wish there was just one login screen that guys you into your account so it was a little faster of a process.

With quickbooks we are able to keep track of our everyday orders and clients. I love how each client is organized in their own folder with all of their previous orders for our records. Quickbooks has made it easy for us to look up current and previous client orders/purchases. I feel like our overall sales have gone up a lot since we have been using quickbooks.

Desktop Pro review by Esther C.
Esther C.

"Real, customizable accounting software that's worth the trouble to host on an application server"

What do you like best?

The user interface flexible and customizable--features are available to please the most visual users, but they can easily be closed to suit those of us who are distracted by flashy GUIs and just want to interact with the database.

Menus and features are not weighted by what Intuit thinks the user will want to see, as they are in QBO. This means that it is easier in QB Desktop to find the functionality that you need. It also makes QB Desktop a better tool for beginners, and for teaching beginners.

The Accountant Tools (especially bulk editing of transactions) are great, and more fully featured than they are in QBO. There are a few tweaks that I would make, but I really appreciate QB Desktop's Accountant Tools.

QB Desktop makes it generally easy to tag data on multiple dimensions, which makes it flexible--suitable for accounting and reporting needs from very simple to quite complicated.

If your tagging needs are very complicated, you may be better off doing data entry outside the program and importing it. Luckily, QB Desktop does not limit the kinds of transactions you can import, and the data's underlying mark-up (IIF) is publicly well documented, open to all users, and fairly easy to learn and use. (All of these are advantages over QBO.)

QB Desktop's Advanced Search feature is one of my favorite things. It allows you to search on dozens of parameters without first narrowing what kind of transaction you wish to search. The flexibility of such a search is obviously valuable, and it also supports multiple use styles; you don't have to think about how another user might have entered a transaction, or who that user might have been. You just enter your parameter, and the database turns up everything that fits. (For this reason, plus a few other minor restrictions that QBO imposes on searches, the search capabilities of QB Desktop are clearly superior to those of QBO.)

The program is rarely slow to respond or laggy.

What do you dislike?

Multiuser access is costly. Online access requires hosting on an application server, which can be expensive; it can also be complicated, which is a turn-off to unsupported/casual users.

The bank-transaction import/matching feature is a little lacking; it doesn't learn rules quickly and isn't very flexible. If you're quick at data entry and/or your data tagging needs are complicated, you may just decide never to use it.

Repairing bank reconciliations that have been thrown off by changes or deletions is more difficult than it is in QBO. Would love to see the QBO feature that shows you what went wrong and offers you a way to fix it without undoing and redoing everything implemented here.

The audit trail is a little less functional in QB Desktop than it is in QBO.

Lacks a real inventory (costing) system, though third-party solutions are available.

Lacks the ability to store percentages by which costs need to be allocated; this means that you're better off doing complicated allocation data entry outside the program and then importing it; it also hobbles the program for allocated budgeting and forecasting.

Lacks safeguards against importing the same data multiple times.

From a database perspective, the Name field is poorly defined, which can be a problem if you need to report on multiple dimensions (I've run into this problem particularly with non-profits that need very detailed reporting).

When QB Desktop crashes, it crashes hard, but support is generally very good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

QB Desktop suits a wide range of bookkeeping needs, from simple to relatively complicated, and it is very flexible and customizable.

It also allows you to implement DIY solutions, especially to data tagging, manipulation, and import needs, without the need to rely on (and pay) third-party vendors.

If you have little to no bookkeeping knowledge, or are training/working with someone who lacks that knowledge, I far prefer QB Desktop to QBO.

QB Desktop is worth the trouble and cost of licensing multiple users and using an application server for online access.

QB Desktop is an all-around solid piece of accounting software.

Part of my business is teaching clients to work on and understand their own books. QB Desktop is great for this, especially when compared to QBO. (QBO's design and wording favor cash accounting, which is not appropriate for most businesses, but which is intuitive to those with no bookkeeping knowledge; this makes it a difficult tool to use to teach beginners.)

Desktop Pro review by Blakely W.
Blakely W.

"Love Quickbooks"

What do you like best?

I love that it us user friendly. I was taking accounting courses as I began learning the software and it really helped me to know the ins and outs of bookkeeping. It does everything we need.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is every time I update Quickbooks it messes the connection to our time keeping software. However, the issue might just be with the time keeping software.

Sometimes, when I send paystubs it glitches and sends the wrong paystubs out, I am not sure if this is a problem with our email exchange however.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend QuickBooks Desktop Pro to anyone in need of accounting software, because QuickBooks has been around for so long and it's updated so frequently, I am not sure if there is any software that has its capabilities. I have contacted QuickBooks for help a few times and they are always quick and efficient to fix my problems. If I ever run my own company, which I hope I do, I will purchase Quickbooks in a heartbeat.

We use Quickbooks for everything: payroll, benefits tracking, expenses, AR, AP, and all of our reporting.

Desktop Pro review by Dawn A.
Dawn A.

"Lifesaver"

What do you like best?

Expense tracking! It helps keep track of those small expenses that really add up. That, in turn, helps us make decisions for the best use of our capital. It makes answering questions about our financial situation so much easier to do with absolute comfort - I know that the answers I am providing are correct and will assist in making purchasing decisions. The reports also are essential in attaining financing from outside sources, and they compile themselves!

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing to dislike QBP!! It's a great way to avoid hiring an accountant if you have even the most limited grasp of computes and the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend buying this program to anyone looking to easily keep track of their business financials - it would be helpful to anyone who needs to know where their money is going.

Expense tracking, balance sheets, profit & loss statements - everything that we need to properly keep track of our business - not just the human aspects of running a bar, but the nuts & bolts behind it.

Desktop Pro review by Diane U.
Diane U.

"It Has a Mind of Its Own"

What do you like best?

It has a beautiful interface and very nicely connects with your accounts.

What do you dislike?

PAYPAL DUPLICATE TRANSACTIONS: I couldn't figure out why I had up to three transactions in Quickbooks for every one PayPal debit card transaction. Frequently, there would be two debits and one credit in Quickbooks. It turns out that there is no workaround to prevent this from happening, even in the new software I'm using, but the new software clearly showed me what was happening with my account, which made finding a solution easy. (I'm currently in the process of switching accounting software.)

MISTAKES: Quickbooks also does not allow you to easily undo mistakes. Sometimes, you simply cannot. :-/

MOBILE APP: I get an error every time I try to upload a picture of a receipt using the mobile app. This is why I dinged "reliability."

RESOLUTION: With the PayPal issue, Quickbooks required that I unlink PayPal and connect it a certain way. This deleted all of my work with my previous transactions, such as categorizing and uploading receipts.

NOT FOR BEGINNERS: As someone who catches on quickly, QuickBooks was NOT intuitive (unlike the new software I'm switching to). Even after figuring out my PayPal issue, QB seems like too much of a pain to continue with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use their search function to figure things out. You'll quickly find that support doesn't offer real solutions to anything.

Basic accounting for my small business. Organizing and record keeping to make tax season easy. Keeping electronic receipts organized and connected to transactions.

Desktop Pro review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Used 50% of Quickbooks for 11 years"

What do you like best?

I am happy with the stability of the product. I run two insurance agency offices. So there is a lot of QuickBooks that I do not use. I don't bill customers or deal with receivables in the program. I don't keep an inventory or use credit cards through the QuickBooks.

I have been a long time user of their payroll though. I'm no accountant, but rather than use their full-service payroll, it's been easy enough to use their Enhanced. They calculate the pay and taxes. The program also builds up the payroll forms each quarter. I just need to process them. Easy with eFile for Feds. For State forms, I have to go to the State websites and transfer the QB form data to the state's format. But it's not overly cumbersome,

What do you dislike?

Payroll cost for what they do is high, in my opinion. I pay $465 annually, plus $7 per payroll check. I pay twice a month, That's $675 a year and all they really do is tweak the software. I'm still responsible for running the forms, error checking, submitting them and then paying any payroll taxes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a light use business like an insurance agency, it's probably more software than you need. I could certainly get away with using a lighter type of program. But it is nice to have the flexibility of a comprehensive tool.

Having been a long..long...time Quicken user, getting up to speed on Quickbooks was not too much of a leap. At least not once I remembered my college accounting class. I

Desktop Pro review by Zach C.
Zach C.

"Accountant Using QuickBooks Desktop for Hosted Businesses"

What do you like best?

I like the familiarity of the QuickBooks interface. There has not been much turnover from year to year and moving from 2011 to QuickBooks 2017 with companies on every version in between is a breeze. I never feel lost inside QuickBooks

What do you dislike?

I do not like the certificates that open up with every use. I have to click through those and they just become a hassle. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with this software at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The comprehensive desktop solution to your accounting problems. There are numerous benefits to using desktop versus online. The main factor being the depth of use. Accountants will always feel more comfortable in desktop even though Online has taken off as of late.

We have been able to assist small businesses in securing profitability through the years with all of the information that QuickBooks supplies regarding the entries and financial data we have input.

Desktop Pro review by Rosemary B.
Rosemary B.

"Great for Small Businesses"

What do you like best?

My favorite part of the QuickBooks program is that it is not an "all or nothing" solution. We use this for sending out invoices and tracking payments but not for payroll and expenses, and it easily allows for this partial use. We don't have to use every feature it has, and it doesn't constantly request that we expand into other feature uses. I also like that it does not require advanced computer knowledge to run this program -- I am able to teach new people in the office the basics of using the program without any problem!

What do you dislike?

I have had some problems with the stability of the program, and I wish there were an easier or more streamlined way to create and save backup files. When the program automatically backs up it does have a tendency to freeze, and we have had to reinstall the program a few times. It is also difficult to get through to customer service -- there are a lot of departments, and it is not always clear which one to seek out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would look carefully at which version you need. This one has a lot of features, and may not be necessary for everyone.

I implemented this software when I started my position with the company. It has greatly increased the organization of our billing and allows us to pull up account information quickly and accurately. Because of this program, we also switched to the Intuit mobile card payments, and that has made a huge difference in our ability to accurately and efficiently apply payments to their respective accounts.

Desktop Pro review by Zachary B.
Zachary B.

"Excellent Service, Easy to Use, But Not Without Flaws"

What do you like best?

We use QB Desktop Pro for EVERYTHING! Paychecks, Invoicing, Customer Sales, Human Resources. The user interface is very simple. We have everyone in the office using it, and love being able to customize who can see what, and who has authorizations to perform certain tasks. We have also gotten a ton of use out of the Desktop File Doctor and the QB Connection Diagnostic Tool. We recently replaced our main computer and it threw us for a loop the first few days. Using those two tools, however, we were able to get our systems back up and running. Our staff usually receives very limited training, making this the PERFECT system. It requires very little explanation, and can be picked up over the course of a day, and mastered in less than a month.

What do you dislike?

Unless you take advantage of all of it's features, QB Desktop Pro can be somewhat clunky. I've read similar reviews that critique the ease of creating and sending invoices, and I agree. The default of utilizing Microsoft Exchange to send emails seems so outdated, and no matter which email program we select, there's still a 30% chance of it not working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you plan to use it for all the aspects of your business, it's the only way to go.

We have a centralized place for all of the most important aspects of our business. We utilize the reporting and ability to link email to client accounts almost every day.

Desktop Pro review by Jill G.
Jill G.

"Small Business Accounting Software: room for improvement"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to import banking and credit card transactions, and the ability to track consulting hours to create invoices for my clients. I also like the ability to create report with my company logo, although the report editor needs improvement.

What do you dislike?

I have used the software for almost 15 years. It used to the the "gold standard," but seems to have peaked several years ago. The software has become more and more difficult to use. Now that Intuit has new owners, the products and support are lacking. I just upgraded my software this week, and it took several tries to install the Windows version. I am disappointed that Intuit no longer supports a Mac desktop version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand your company's needs before selecting small business accounting software. If you sell products or services, or plan to pay employees, then make sure that the software you select meets all of your "must have" requirements.

I use QuickBooks to manage my management consulting business. The software allows me to track consulting hours and expenses and create invoices for my customers. I can download bank and credit card transactions into QuickBooks and assign them to the proper projects and General Ledger accounts. At tax time, I create reports and give them to my accountant.

Desktop Pro review by Sheri S.
Sheri S.

"Quickbooks pro adds value to your small business"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks Pro is a fast and easy way to maintain time records and can be customized to provide the information you want in a way that tells you what you need to know. It organizes my billing and serves as an independent log of my clients and information about them and their cases.

What do you dislike?

I wish I had time to learn how to really use the program. I am sure it can do many things I am not currently using. Also, I find the tutorials and instructions difficult to follow and use. Every time I print bills, Quickbooks Pro tells me I can send the statements to clients electronically. I wish I could get my computers set up to do that and I wish I could figure out how to do it. As it is, I print the bill, scan it,

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it. Figure out the huge number of things it can do. Learn to use it so you take advantage of all its benefits.

I can input time and expenses throughout the day as I perform work. This saves a step and assures I am always up to date.

Desktop Pro review by Richard G.
Richard G.

"The Industry Standard"

What do you like best?

The user community and install base is huge so most issues have been handled before and you can find solutions online pretty easily.

What do you dislike?

Generating and sending invoices is more convoluted than it has any reason to be. There is no way to easily re-bill a set of invoices, you have to go into each one and select it. Sometimes when you create a new invoice for a client, it doesn't mark it as ready to print when saved, and there is no default settings to change this behavior. This has been a known issue for several years and Intuit doesn't seem to care about changing it.

Reports are pretty good. The ability to drill down on a report is better than just about any other program I've used. You can click on almost any number on a report and get a sub-report of everything that comprises that number.

Bank feeds cut off about half of the incoming transaction description from the bank (the rest gets put in memo field), extending the import would make creating rules a lot more useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at quickbooks desktop and quickbooks online. They are similar but not identical, then make your choice

If your more than a one man show, you have to have an accounting package. I'm not certain that Quickbooks is the best thing,. but it absolutely is the most common for a reason. It works, and your accountant is going to know how to use it (which really really matters)

Desktop Pro review by Shane O.
Shane O.

"Quickbooks makes accounting easy"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks makes it easy to track expenses against a budget, keep up with payroll, or track down payments. It also ensures that you are always on top of things when it comes time to make tax withholding payments. It keeps all of your financial information and accounting records in one place. It's also helpful in tracking accruals of vacation time.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the search function isn't the easiest to work with. When trying to find a missing payment or a specific dollar amount, it sometimes doesn't seem to return all of the matching transactions. There is a little bit of a learning curve to start using Quickbooks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Quickbooks is the standard in accounting software, so I can't recommend this enough. Even if you aren't entering transactions on a daily basis, it's still helpful for an executive to be familiar enough to look up information so that you don't always have to rely on your accountant or bookkeeper to pull the information you need. The only drawback is that the one time we did need support, there were long waits on the phone and it was a little difficult to get our problem solved.

Quickbooks gives us an easy way to keep track of personnel payroll, vacation accruals, tax information, and custom deductions. It makes it easy to make sure we are following all state and federal guidelines on withholding as well. This is in addition to all of the other business benefits of tracking checks, revenue, expenses, etc.

Desktop Pro review by Janet G.
Janet G.

"Makes reporting so easy"

What do you like best?

QuickBooks makes end of the year reports a breeze. It takes us no time at all to gather all of the necessary information. Payroll is simple and easy to handle once all set up. Its nice to have it all in one spot. Tracking payroll liabilities and such has taken so much work off of me and freed up a lot of my time.

What do you dislike?

Paying for payroll as a separate entity is a bit disappointing but overall not that big of a deal. Setting up new payroll liabilities can be a little confusing if you are new to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a breeze. Its so nice to have everything right in front of you and at your finger tips. There's a ton of reports to give you any information you might need.

Payroll - its so simple, quick, and easy. It saves us time and money. We are a small business and do not want to pay for another company to process our payroll, but no one has time to spend hours processing it in house. QuickBooks handles it for us and it fast.

Desktop Pro review by Carlos S.
Carlos S.

"The accounting standard with challenges to customize for your business and ongoing data retreival"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks is the standard and it does well to run reports and export them over various time periods and so on. Sharing information with others and working with others is easy because of its ubiquity and people's familiarity with it.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, Quickbooks is not great for different types of businesses and industries. Working directly with the general ledger can take some time to get used to. Intuit has become less supportive of the desktop version as they want users to instead use the web for a subscription fee, though it is viewed by many as less robust.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those unfamiliar with the system, spending a significant amount of time to prepare for use or consultation with an accountant could be very helpful. Also expect to spend time with data reconciliation with various bank reconciliations and data imports and data entry that is based on external information such as those created in Excel.

Producing basic financial reports is essential for any business. It lacks ratio analysis and integration with files like Excel to import and confirm information within the system.

Desktop Pro review by Ashley K.
Ashley K.

"Fairly user friendly"

What do you like best?

I use this product daily for multiple businesses and find that it is fairly user friendly. For the one company, running payroll is a breeze and never an issue. Logging AR and doing AP is pretty straightforward on this platform, which helps make invoicing and payments easier.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I struggle to find the appropriate report I need, the names of the reports can be misleading or do not end up giving me what I thought it was going to be. Also, if I need to make a change after I already put in payroll information (but haven't sent it yet) I am unable to do that. That is frustrating when you need to make a small change but it seems it won't allow you... unless I am not finding the function in which to do that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Another great product for small businesses. It really allows you to do everything in one spot and makes it fairly easy.

I am getting our billing done easily and I can even email it out from QB. Tracking money and payments and bills is easy and effective and we can keep a close eye on our register.

Desktop Pro review by John G.
John G.

"One of the only real choices for small businesses for their accounting"

What do you like best?

The main reason I stay with the Desktop Pro version of QuickBooks is because not all of the features I use are available in the online version. So, I will likely continue to use Desktop Pro or Premier until all the features in the desktop software make it to the online version.

For small business, there are not many choices and QuickBooks has been around a long time and does what a small business needs. For that reason, I do recommend QuickBooks to my clients. I am in the IT business and support many small businesses. Most if not all of them use QuickBooks. - mostly because that is what I recommended they use.

What do you dislike?

Networking can still use a lot of improvement. Network access can be slow at times and frequently gets mucked up. This is one area that Intuit has struggled and the need for networking of QB data is a must.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For small business, this is the right choice.

Invoicing and cash flow are the two main benefits to my company.

Desktop Pro review by Timothy R.
Timothy R.

"Small Business Industry Standard - Now a Money eater "

What do you like best?

This is a well developed mature accounting software, with a minimal amount of learning curve. You will find that it can do anything in the world of finance world for small business. I have learned how to use Quickbooks since I was in college and since then they have just added a bunch of bells and whistles.

What do you dislike?

They make you buy this every 3 years for literally no reason other then they want more money. Also they MAKE you have a password, and this get kinda Annoying. I'm not working in an industry where my financials are top secret and I should be able to make my own choice to put a password on. THEY SPAM YOU about payroll and getting you to presses your credit cards with them. I don't get why I just can tell them no once and that would be the end of it, this isn't the case

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are no real Choices when looking for other software to use. It is a good software, they used to put out a new program every few years or so but now they have fell into the pattern of putting out needless yearly updates to make you pay more. Also I would say that you should go with the desktop version because at the very least you own your own data. If you go with the cloud version... they have/own your data.

We use QB as our accounting suite. this is the recording of financial transactions for internal and external reporting.

Desktop Pro review by Andrés S.
Andrés S.

"Very complete +/- easy to use... But if it fails, good luck fixing it. Lots of technical problems."

What do you like best?

We've used quickbooks for about 10 years and every year there are small changes that make it a little more pleasurable to use and a little easier to use. Over the years haven't seen a major change that will require all of us to re-learn so the additions and changes do not get into they way when we are trying to work.

The forms editor is quite good (not perfect); it is easy to enter basic information and payroll is pretty easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The software crashes a lot. Sometimes it just refuses to start, sometimes it kicks out people "just because" and sometimes it is impossible to get back in until the server or the user's computer is restarted.

When quickbooks is installed, a lot of additional unwelcome software is installed on my machine that runs even when I am not using quickbooks at all, that is very annoying.

Saving to PDF and emailing from QuickBooks (if you use Outlook) can be challenging and tends to lock up a lot. We use Adobe's "PDF printer" to generate PDFs and never use Quickbooks' Save as PDF function unless we are in a suicidal mood.

Their support people is nice but extremely pushy whenever we call for something, always trying to sell something new and extra. Very annoying. Last couple of years they are a bit less pushy but still very annoying sometimes.

Lastly, renewing payroll if you want to purchase the renewal through a third party like Amazon or Office Depot or whatever is a labor of patience and love. Intuit will always try to charge you for the payroll update (last time they charged us like $ 400) and then later refund. It always entails calling tech support with the serial # one purchased and well, waste 2-3 hours on the ordeal. This happens every year.

So, the software is good and useful but it drives one crazy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to have someone technically savvy at hand because eventually it will break and you will panic (very justifiably).

Accounting is at the heart of a company's operation so if you are unable to access your data, well, it can be disaster.

We handle all accounting and payroll with it. We have electronic deposit for employees and e-checks for suppliers so all in all, very helpful.

Desktop Pro review by John H.
John H.

"Great for Scaling Your Business"

What do you like best?

Easy to Set up and easy to use through the check registry. Simple instructions. Continual Updates.

What do you dislike?

If your business grows, you'll still need someone to manage this and/or hire an accountant.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go slowly as you attempt to implement the variety of tools installed and realize that as you implement more tools, you are increasing the time needed for this product to work effectively for you.

I need software to handle my "S: Corps accounting and tracking. Been using it for over 10 years and see a lot of positives. Can integrate with banks, integrates with a lot of tax software. Easy to use for beginner to experienced. Easy to send items to your accountant for review.

Desktop Pro review by Jonathan T.
Jonathan T.

"Great Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

We have been using QuickBooks for years. It is integrated into our 3rd party receivables software and that makes everything so much easier. The ability to import/export payments and invoices makes our account receivables process very easy. The ability to write checks and have them go straight to the register is a great feature as well.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are connection issues between different users. We use it in a multi-user scenario and sometimes the connection to the host file gets lost and it takes a while to get that back up and running. The web connector service is great, but sometimes it does not want to allow the connection to a new user.

QuickBooks makes accounting so much easier. I have a bookkeeper that really only has to work a few days a week to keep our books balanced because of the features and tools that Quickbooks has. Running reports and getting the real data that I need is easy and takes very little time to complete.

Desktop Pro review by Shari L.
Shari L.

"Great accounting software for small businesses!"

What do you like best?

QuickBooks is easy to use for non-financial professionals yet comprehensive enough for financial professionals to get all they need for accounting and financial reporting.

What do you dislike?

Don't like that you are required to upgrade every couple of years if you use their payroll service. The software itself may still work fine for you and you don't need anything that a newer version offers but you're forced to spend the money to upgrade in order to continue using Intuit payroll.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's perfect for a small company that just needs the basic accounting features. It also meets the needs of government contractors as well as larger companies that have more complex needs. I've been "pitched" a lot of other software packages and I've seen no reason over my 17 years working for this company to even consider switching!

All financial activity is recorded in one place from invoicing customers to paying vendors to paying employees. It's a 1 stop shop and even integrates with our time reporting system so payroll is a breeze as well as government contracting requirements.

Desktop Pro review by Joseph S.
Joseph S.

"Why QuickBooks is my favorite..."

What do you like best?

DISCLAIMER: My review is based on my experience with other accounting software like Xero (recently used), QBO (recently used), MSGP (back in 2014), Intaact (2012), ACS Technologies (2009) and BPCS (2009).

The QuickBooks Desktop product line (e.g. Pro, Premier, Enterprise, Accountant, etc.) is my number one favorite accounting software. Relative to other accounting software, some reasons why QuickBooks is #1 in my opinion are:

1) It's intuitive (which makes the owning softwar company's name, Intuit, very fitting). You can find what you are looking for easily with its menus or online community portal.

2) Unlike other Frankenstein software like MSGP, QuickBooks desktop is put together from beginning to end in mind. MSGP by comparison is a mess because in order to satisfy what the company needs for accounting, the user has to incorporate a bunch of add-ons. The whole conversation process costs a fortune and the contractors you hire to make the switch seem to NEVER finish the implementation. It's just a huge mess with good money thrown after bad.

3) You'll find your answers. QuickBooks is ubiquitous among businesses small and large. If you can't figure out what you need yourself, go to youtube or google and ask your question. It's rare that I don't find an answer to what I need this way.

4) It's fast. QuickBooks can move as fast as you can hit the keystrokes. Their shortcut keys make for higher productivity. Reports can be modified in seconds. You can find stuff in no time.

5) There's a audit trail report.

What do you dislike?

There's not much I dislike about QuickBooks desktop. Maybe a few things are:

1) I cannot have more than one A/R or A/P line item in a transaction.

2) Aside from manual journal entries, I wish that QuickBooks would default the debit line item first before credits after a transaction is entered.

3) There are plenty of controls, but it might be nice to have it so that a staff accountant can input the transaction, but the manager has to approve it.

Even though QuickBooks is user friendly by comparison, if you don't understand accounting, there's a very good chance you'll screw up your books. That's no fault of QuickBooks - it's user error. Maybe this is why QuickBooks has a stigma with accountants in larger companies - "QuickBooks is for neophytes, not sophisticated financial professionals like myself," they say.

QuickBooks has the reputation for only being suitable for mom-and-pop companies, not larger companies with employees. I've had accounting supervisors tell me this multiple times at different companies. When I press them for specific reasons why QuickBooks does not work for their company, many times they cannot think of a reason why - it's just the fashionable thing to say.

There may be some legitimate reasons why a company needs to upgrade from QuickBooks Pro. For example, you cannot consolidate financial statements from multiple companies (but QuickBooks Enterprise can). Or if you need a full blown ERP.

But before you make the switch ask yourself: DO THE BENEFITS OUTWEIGH THE COSTS!! If you switch to a Frankenstein software (like MSGP), you might get new functionality and integration from other departments, but now you LOST the streamlined ease and basic functionlity that QuickBooks offers. Maybe you should consider having SEPERATE software applications to keep track of what it is you are trying to incorporate into your accounting system. Or use a company like Level Field which can lay on top of all of your software applications (CRM, ERP, accounting, marketing, etc) in real time. Talk to my friend Jude Samson to learn more - http://www.levelfield.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even though QuickBooks is user friendly by comparison, if you are a small business owner and don't understand accounting, there's a very good chance you'll screw up your books. That's no fault of QuickBooks - it's user error.

I would definitely have a qualified accountant or bookkeeper help you set up, periodically review or manage your books.

Everything! It's a full accounting information system that is suitable for probably 90% of all businesses out there. It's no ERP, and it may not have all the solutions for all companies, but it's a whole lot better than the majority of other software I have used.

Desktop Pro review by Joanna M.
Joanna M.

"Best of this type of program"

What do you like best?

I like everything about this program. The automated pie charts for the reports and how they're so easy to understand. The way to create all kinds of estimates, sales orders, and invoices is easy and straight to the point. How to accept and send out payments is the easiest process one could ask for. Can't complain about the features that are offered.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I can complain about is that, sometimes it tends to freeze and when it does it does it while I'm filling out important information. But it's only done that a couple of times so it's not that big of a deal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely get it. Quickbooks make the process so much easier. There's less hassle and everything is easily explainable through the tutorials and even through random questions online.

Organization is the main thing that this has helped me in. It helps us here in the office have easy access to all documentation and organize it accordingly. Having an easy way to do our orders is also a great thing, because we don't have to scratch our head trying to do them.

Desktop Pro review by Pamela D.
Pamela D.

"Easy use for small business"

What do you like best?

I used this for a small bookkeeping operation. It is very user friendly, easy to maneuver and understand and kept my account practices organized and efficient. I liked that it was so easy to move through the system, and allowed me to explain my monthly analysis to my employer. It is also a very inexpensive system.

What do you dislike?

It is quite rudimentary. I feel that if you plan on using the system for more involved businesses that you may not get the benefit that you require. It is rather limited to basic accounting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is perfect for small businesses who don't require a deep analysis of income and expenses. Make sure you really review all the program functions beyond what is included in the subscription as there are a variety of "add-on" that can be tailored for your business needs.

This is great for small businesses. It allows the user to process invoices, create payments, generate billing invoices and create custom reports. It does have a variety of basic accounting reports, AP and AR aging statements, trial balance, P&L and cash flow.

I like that it is very simplified and easy to use.

Desktop Pro review by Jag M.
Jag M.

"perfect for new entrepreneurs "

What do you like best?

For someone like me who handles all my finances with no help, intuitive software like Quickbooks is perfect. Tracking my expenses and income for tax purposes and managing my business is perfect. It's hard to imagine where i would be with my business if i didn't use quickbooks.

What do you dislike?

Although its very efficient and intuitive i wish there was some sort of way i could access my account from my phone or other computers. My personal gripes with it is that sometimes it does lag a bit and then I have to be very patient with the system. I recently just stopped using Quickbooks because i can't afford it as business is running very slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Implement some sort of cloud service and also discount prices with limited features with the product.

I no longer use excel to track my expenses and income but use Quickbooks instead. I can create charts and other diagrams now and the good thing is that Quickbooks is much better than excel. Excel is much harder to use than Quickbooks. It really helps me to be on top of my finances.

Desktop Pro review by User

"Easy software to use"

What do you like best?

The ease of use when it comes to payroll. I also appreciate the ability to use send reports to Excel so that formulas and amounts can be created for things like use taxes and payroll tax checking. Quickbooks also makes learning new features easy and has many great tutorials to online to learn how to use the program. I also love the ability to attach files to the transactions. It cuts down a lot, on searching for receipts later on because you can just search it in the computer and have the receipt right there.

What do you dislike?

The tendency of the information becoming corrupted and losing some of my transactions. It also gets extremely slow the more information is in the file and the more users using the company file at a time. It is also annoying that to import time one has to be in single user mode which is not easy when more than one person is in the file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When starting a business Quickbooks Pro is entirely necessary for keeping track of all of your transactions, billing, and taxes.

It makes payroll easy which can easily become a problem if done wrong. It also makes it easy to see what profits are made on jobs and what taxes are paid on transactions. We've benefited immensely for 28 years and we've used for a large company with many employees and a small company with few employees. We spend most of our time working in Quickbooks.

Desktop Pro review by Tiffany A.
Tiffany A.

"Easy-to-use desktop accounting software"

What do you like best?

I really like the ease of setting up the software and the flexibility it offers to accomplish what I need to do. I am not an accountant or bookkeeper and with a little instruction, I was able to set up accounts, keep track of expenses, run necessary reports and reconcile credit card and bank statements.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that I feel compelled to manually enter all information rather than using the online download or connect options. I find that the transactions don't always match the way that I expect and I spend a lot of time trying to match them so that everything reconciles. I'd rather just save the time and do it manually rather than having to undo a lot of work. Also, the online version offers the opportunity to add documents to bills/invoices. Not sure the desktop has that function and that is a miss in my opinion. I have to store them elsewhere on my computer when I'd rather keep everything together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't need the easy collaboration offered by QB online, Quickbooks Desktop pro has a much richer feature set and is easy to use and easy to maintain. If you're a novice, you may need some assistance setting up accounts the first time, but it is very straightforward after that. Just be consistent in the way that things are entered.

We are a very small business and the fact that I can keep my own books with a minimal accountant review once a year saves us a lot of money. I can also keep very close track of expenses and use reports to see when I need to pay bills and also for budgeting and communicating key financial info to the CEO/CFO. Also great tracking of unpaid invoices.

Desktop Pro review by Andrew D.
Andrew D.

"User-hostile without a manual or a pro to guide "

What do you like best?

QuickBooks Desktop Pro (QBD) is powerful and full-featured. Several of the main features (bill and invoice generation, invoice numbering, etc) can be automated, which helps with productivity. Once you learn how to translate your context into QB activities, it's not quite as user-hostile.

What do you dislike?

It's unintuitive unless you're a trained bookkeeper or accountant, and it will eat your life if you try to make sense of it unassisted. Do NOT go there. Most candid experts say it's designed to permit accounting pros a suitable level of flexibility while alienating casual users -- in that mission, it definitely succeeds. There's no documentation and the crowd-sourced knowledgebase is pathetic and poorly supported, so without a trained expert to help, you're entirely on your own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Each business is different and will use QBD differently. It's the reference standard for bankers (ie, lenders), investors, and accountants. The supplied templates for setting up your business are next-to-useless and there's no doc, so unless you're willing to invest (10-20x the cost of the product) in an expert to guide you, it's dangerous to pretend it'll help you much. I've tested every fiber of willpower mastering it because I want to be proud of my financial records, but even after 3+ years' dedicated effort its ROI is negligible.

All I know for sure is that the alternate product, toward which Intuit and some bookkeepers will push you, is QuickBooks Online and it, by comparison, is a toy -- far fewer features, maddening usability issues, and even worse knowledgebase support -- so if you don't need concurrent multi-user support or access by Mac users, stick with QB Desktop and invest (a lot) in learning to make it serve you.

I use it for my accounting, spending 10-15 hours a week with it. You need to concentrate while using it; there's nothing innately helpful or supportive about QBD that will prevent you from making expensive, hard-to-fix mistakes. It's a big-league tool that marks you as a serious business, and may pay dividends later (like when used with Intuit's TurboTax Business). Just don't count on instant gratification.

Desktop Pro review by Chad C.
Chad C.

"Quickbooks is the industry standard for small business accounting "

What do you like best?

It has everything you would need. As a small business, it contains whatever reports and accounting solutions you might need.

What do you dislike?

If you aren't an expert in Quickbooks, it's difficult to navigate to the reports you need. I don't like how there's a new version every year and eventually they force you into upgrading.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's just a daunting software in my opinion. If you don't care about key performance indicators and don't want to run a ton of reports, it's fine. If you do want to, you'll need the help of your accountant.

Quickbooks is my accounting solution for my business. it keeps records of all payables, receivables, billables etc.

Desktop Pro review by Elizabeth V.
Elizabeth V.

"Easy to Use and Customizable to Your Business"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks has easy to use features such as the home screen which provides a helpful flow chart of business processes. Each icon on the chart can be selected and the user can input their data immediately. For instance, if I need to pay a bill I will select the "Bills" icon. When I am ready to pay the bill I will select the "Pay Bill" icon.

What do you dislike?

Quick books is customization to a user's business preferences and needs, however the downside is if the users lack accounting knowledge. A good example of this is when a user makes a payment on a loan. The user should post the payment as a reduction of a liability account on their balances sheet, however for users unaware of accounting they can easily select the payment to be posted as a deducible expense on your income statement.

Quickbooks has helped my business to track our job data and analyze which categories are most profitable to us. This has helped us to maximize profits by focusing on the more profitable categories.

Desktop Pro review by Erica L.
Erica L.

"Bookkeeper using Quickbooks"

What do you like best?

Very intuitive design which makes it easy to learn and use, i like the ability to import, and i like the ability to create reports that i can drill into detail for on screen. I also like the bank feed register and the ability to perform reconciliations to a bank account.

What do you dislike?

There seem to be some big flaws in the bank feed. I have a lot of transactions imported from a bank account go missing, and items in the bank feed will become unselected or info from them disappears when scrolling up or down in bank feed. I also don't like that it won't allow me to import my budget from excel and don't like a lot of the limitations that are provided (like changing multiple transactions at once) if not in the accountant version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be wary of imported transaction missing, user the reports in standard view and drill down to see the detail. Check the bank feed transactions when you scroll up and down because the vendor will go missing and items will become selected or unselected without your knowing.

Business problem solved: takes care of bookkeeping and prepares financial statements, allows me to track performance to a budget, allows me to see expenses easily for review. And the benefit is I get paid to use a program I find very straightforward for work, which reduces the amount of time I need to spend on accounting.

Desktop Pro review by Rachel  W.
Rachel W.

"Quick books Desktop is easy to take on & manage"

What do you like best?

First of all, the QB system support is incredible. As someone with limited knowledge for non-profit accounting, I quickly caught on with all of the required systems with the great support.

What do you dislike?

The system isn't always the smartest design - sometimes really have to search to find what you are looking for. Also, we have had a bit of trouble with sign in on multiple computers, but that may be a personal issue with out laptops.

Everyone having access to the same account is an awesome perk. Anyone can go in and pull reports they want, rather than putting too much work on one person. Being able to measure direct income and outcome, and income tracker and payroll connection is an excellent resource!

Desktop Pro review by Ashley T.
Ashley T.

"Nothing beats Quickbooks"

What do you like best?

What we like best is how easy Quickbooks is to maintain. It’s so easy to learn and teach another person. Credit card and bank reconciliations are a breeze.

What do you dislike?

How slow it can be sometimes, everyone says my fingers are too quick for Quickbooks.. But it would be nice if it could keep up! I also dislike how you have to keep signing back in every time you change companies. I feel like as long as you are logged in, it should be seamless when you change companies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend Quickbooks to keep track of all expenses. It's an excellent program and rarely has any issues! Worth every penny!

It’s the easiest way to keep our books in order and print off reports and always see where we are. We have an umbrella company but have many underneath it and it really helps keep everything separate. It also helps us keep track of profits/loss really well for different projects.

Desktop Pro review by Margie F.
Margie F.

"Review of Quickbooks Pro from a 9 year user "

What do you like best?

I love that it is so easy and simple to use! Ive been using it for nine years and run a large million dollar company through it! It's professional and has all the things I need, but it can also be tweaked to fit any company, anywhere!

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I have no complaints about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

YES YES YES! You will not regret using this program!

Having all my information, inventory, in one convenient place. that's is easy to use and that When I train people new employees on the QuickBooks program it is not a difficult process. I like being able to access it anywhere and have the online portion.

Desktop Pro review by Rob J.
Rob J.

"The only accounting software I've used"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks is easy to use and simple to set up because they have several templates to get you started. After answering some initial setup questions, Quickbooks will set up your books in a quick and easy format. You may not know what some of the answers are if you're just starting out, so stay general. I also like the reporting feature where you can see your current situation, see cash flow, understand how you've performed against last year... all at a glance.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I find that Quickbooks has so many options to decide, it can be cumbersome to set up and or proceed. One thing that is frustrating is now knowing how to automate several steps or tasks. I have automated several things already, but there are still several I'd like to know how to do. I also do not like the difficulty in creating customized forms (invoices, etc.). I'd like them to look a little different (including the ability to add some fine print instead of just adding another line).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set it up correctly or you'll be spending a lot of time later fixing what you messed up from the beginning. If you don't know, get your accountant to help you set it up. Well worth the investment (and I'm not an accountant).

I can get my accountant a set of books that he can use to calculate an estimated tax liability every quarter (or monthly) if that's what I need. I always know where we are with regard to profitability and sales vs. last year.

Desktop Pro review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Research
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Research

"Great Accounting software for small businesses"

What do you like best?

Flexibility fits in different processes or needs and easy to customize reports. Easy to use for small businesses, no need a lot of help from third party consulting firm. You can just implement by yourself through QuickBooks online documents or supports.

What do you dislike?

There is no enough information or documents to refer when the new version release or update. Sometime the setting was changes, but it is not easy to figure out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your company size is small and not have complicated business process or model, Quickbooks is the one you should consider. It will fit all your needs. However, if you are in a big company and would like to have more restrict access right control to different functions and processes, Quickbooks might not fit your requirement.

It keeps all accounting transactions and easy to tracking. It helps the auditing to review the data and get the financial reports.

Desktop Pro review by Carolina R.
Carolina R.

"User Friendly Business Accounting"

What do you like best?

I like that even without much experience with the software, it is relatively easy to use. There are even webinars or easy how-to videos for free online that help you use quickbooks online. An easy little help desk connects you to articles and posts made by folks who have had the same issues you may gave had in the past.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the Audit history for payments does not show which invoices the payment was applied to. Mostly minor features to make it more user friendly, but overall a great product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend linking your business credit card accounts (as easy as linking bank accounts) for easy tracking and categorization.

We are currently using QuickBooks as our main accounting software for our company. Not only are we using it to track the money we bill for and receive, it is keeping track of our business credit card expenses and categorizing expenses. Once tax time comes around, it is smooth sailing.

Desktop Pro review by Administrator

"Works well, within limits"

What do you like best?

I like the user friendly interface and the simplicity of the bookkeeping and payroll features. This is an excellent solution for a small business. I have used quickbooks successfully in many small business ventures.

What do you dislike?

Fund accounting is a bit difficult and requires work-arounds outside of the system; i.e. excel. Distribution of overhead and direct expenses between departments is time consuming and not intuitive. It doesn't scale exceedingly well as the company grows in terms of employee count or annual revenue. The budgeting feature leaves a lot to be desired, as it must be entered month by month rather than annually, and program budgets must be entered individually rather than intuitively or based on percentage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great bookkeeping tool. Its limitations are in the details - tracking individual dollars is challenging as there is no perfect was to allocate revenues and expenses with different tracking levels and measures. Payroll feature is sophisticated and easy to use. Of all the payroll solutions I have used, this one is my favorite.

This is a good payroll and accounting solution for a small to medium sized business without a lot of allocation detail requirements.

Desktop Pro review by Susan M.
Susan M.

"QuickBooks Desktop is a powerhouse"

What do you like best?

QuickBooks Pro has great reports features, and has the bonus of being able to be used offline. Great for when you are in a public hotspot and maybe don't want the world to have access to your financial data.

What do you dislike?

While I don't "dislike" any features. I do feel it is a bit cumbersome due to having to transfer backup files between client and accountant/bookkeeper. Also the audit log could be better. It is very difficult to use effectively.

QBDT is a powerhouse, and is best showcased by its ability to track inventory, run balance sheets by class/job, and progress invoicing. Tracking by location is also a great feature.

Desktop Pro review by Administrator in Religious Institutions
Administrator in Religious Institutions

"Works Well for Non Profits"

What do you like best?

That allows you to do a cash base accounting instead of accrual.I also like the ability to sync with my bank and know what things have cleared. I now do not have to wait to reconcile to know this. Also I like the ability to limit what a user can and cannot do. This gives us the scalability we need to use the software with more volunteers, and employees.

What do you dislike?

No matter how you try it will never be able to give you a Donor Year End Financial statement. Also, how when things are pending in my bank they do not sync. So for instance when my merchant deposits into my account, the money is there, but quickbooks sync will not recognize it til it post. I then have to take one more step and log onto the bank website from my browswer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can save you hours of time. Especially with the online sync for your banking information. It allows you almost a play by play, day by day, view of available funds.

We keep track of all of our donors and financial records. A Great benefit is the multi-user capabilities. Currently we have just started using the Server/User platform for entering our donation records. This had been a great benefit. We now how 3 data proceessors, and know that quickbooks will help us expand to more when needed.

Desktop Pro review by John E.
John E.

"Great for a small business with a few employees."

What do you like best?

The add on payroll module handles all employee wages and taxes, with flexibility for a mix of hourly and salaried employees, with an option for Direct Deposit.

What do you dislike?

The Software assumes that you will bill your customers through Quickbooks. If you do not, or if you do not have customers, the way some things are set up is unnecessary, and having to skip it every time is repetitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think really hard about the benefits of the online vs desktop version. Our setup does not need the added flexibility of the online subscription based model and we can save some money by going with the desktop version, so we do.

Easy fund tracking. Complete record of all payments to vendors and expense reimbursements. Easy Payroll management. Automatic recurring bill reminders.

Desktop Pro review by Dennis B.
Dennis B.

"QuickBooks for Quick Work"

What do you like best?

QuickBooks Desktop Pro has been our accounting software of choice for more than 15 years and our organization probably could not survive without it. It installs in a flash, is automatically updated, is intuitive to use, and gives our checks and invoices the professional look we absolutely need. It really makes quick work of any accounting task and our outside accountant loves it because it's the same software used by that firm.

What do you dislike?

It seems slow to load upon initial start-up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask your outside accounting firm for a recommendation because it will probably be QuickBooks.

QuickBooks saves us a ton of time when filing taxes and 1099s.

Desktop Pro review by Celestina C.
Celestina C.

"Organize Your Money"

What do you like best?

The empowerment of being able to process payroll and tax payments with QuickBooks are my favorite features. The nice layout allows for a whole new level of organization for managing my money.

What do you dislike?

It's quite easy to make electronic tax payments, but it's also easy to forget to go outside of QuickBooks to the individual website to file the report that coordinates with the payments. (EX: Texas Workforce Commission quarterly report)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Paying a fee to use the software and paying a fee to be able to process payroll and submit tax payments is worth the time you'll save. QuickBooks is so sophisticated that I can only imagine what I want to do and it's probably possible.

Business Problem: Thankfully, I don't have problems to solve right now.

Benefits: My accountant prefers QuickBooks so as long as I made diligent entries throughout the year, sharing my file is efficient and saves her time and saves me money.

Desktop Pro review by Heidi H.
Heidi H.

"Great integration with all Intuit Products"

What do you like best?

It's easy to learn how to use and works well with TurboTax since they are both Intuit products. And I love that I can email invoices to my clients and they can pay online securely.

What do you dislike?

Every 3 years, Intuit makes you buy the latest version if you want to continue to use their online services to email out invoices to clients. And it's not just a check $100 upgrade fee, you need to spend hundreds of dollars each time. Personally, I understand they need to make money but I really think this is annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are serious about your business, this is the best accounting software around. I would highly recommend it and just make sure to take the time to learn how to set it up correctly in the beginning. Once you have your business set up, it's a breeze to use.

Being able to email invoices saves money on postage. And allowing my clients to pay online securely gives them a sense of security. Plus, I am able to check my profit and loss at any time to see where I need to make changes in my business. The best part is that you can set up your accounting to export all information into TurboTax when you do your annual taxes, what a time saver!!

Desktop Pro review by Dawn B.
Dawn B.

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

I like how simple the interface is to use. There are tips and guidance that come up the first time you use it. You are able to easily look up help and typically find the answers you need.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you have to pay separately for different services. I also do not like that at times you are forced into buying a new version, because they will stop supporting the version you have. It is an expensive product, and I think you should be able to use it for more that a could years when purchased.

I used this for keeping track of my income and expenses. I used to use it for payroll, but it is very expensive and I found a different program that works just as well. I like that you can link your bank account to QuickBooks and reconcile the transactions there with what is recorded in QuickBooks.

Desktop Pro review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.

"Great way to track all you business invoicing needs"

What do you like best?

It's organization of its features is probably one of its strongest attributes. Organizing all your clients couldn't be easier with this program. Customizing your invoice templates is great along with the different things you essentially need to keep track of when you run your own business (payroll, sales report, inventory, etc.).

What do you dislike?

I work with multiple monitors. It would be great if the windows separated and dropped into my other screen but they apparently don't offer that at the moment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's good to also have Microsoft Excel for keep track of all your pricing. Quickbooks is good for storing pricing for a particular client but for general pricing, consider a spreadsheet program like Excel.

The biggest problem owning a business is keep track of all the clients who have paid and haven't paid. Quickbooks organizes all your clients and keeps note how much they currently owe and how long have they gone without paying. Biggest benefit is creating estimates and keeping all instances for reference of price or even just duplicating altogether.

Learning about QuickBooks Desktop Pro?

* We monitor all QuickBooks Desktop Pro reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.