Rainforest QA

Rainforest QA

Rainforest's natural language testing and helpful features make testing easy.

Work for Rainforest QA?

Learning about Rainforest QA?

Rainforest QA Reviews

Ask Rainforest QA a Question
Showing 61 Rainforest QA reviews
Rainforest QA review by Robert H.
Robert H.

"Powerful product"

What do you like best?

Great selection of browsers, browser VM's work even better than Browserstack for emulation.

What do you dislike?

There have been many false positives from a variety of sources. Language barriers and just straight up tester error. It would be nice to have multiple options before declaring a failure. "Did A happen? If yes, move to next step. If no, check for B. Did B happen? If yes, move to next step. If no, mark as failure." Delays between kicking off tests and getting feedback can sometimes make it impractical for continuous deployment cycles. Scrolling within the VM and even the VM's screen display is not optimized for smaller device screens.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read over all of the documentation given to testers in regards to what qualifies as a test step passing or failing. Optimizing the capitalization of words, specific use of quotes, and other nitpicky semantics made getting to a regularly reliable testing framework difficult, many false positives.

I've found that Rainforest QA is actually great for reproducing reported errors on browsers and devices that our QA team does not have. I've ended up using it a lot as an alternative to Browserstack for testing and troubleshooting, which I don't believe it's designed for. I've generally found it more beneficial for regression testing and new feature testing, as we deploy several times a day.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Rainforest QA
Rainforest QA review by Matt E.
Matt E.

"Like Automation with a Human Touch"

What do you like best?

There are many things. The interface is easy to use and every update has only been an improvement. It's always easy to get a hold of support and have them look at a problem. When I start a test suite, they begin testing immediately, and results start coming through while it's in progress. The amount of detail that is included in my test results–tester comments, video, screenshot. The personal attention of the support team and their willingness to explore a variety of solutions to meet me where I'm at.

What do you dislike?

Testers are somewhat "programmed" and it's different from tester to tester. They may blindly follow certain testing principles that give me false negatives. For instance, when I ask them to test the layout of a 404 page we have created, I always get failures because they are told to fail 404s–it's pretty funny. I have to beg them not to fail the test just because they see a 404 page, and sometimes they still fail it because that's what they were told to do. Testers often overlook steps such as "click the back button" and then the test fails because they are in the wrong place. Tuning tests to deal with that kind of problem has take a lot of time and now it's not an issue. Sometimes the tester competence and attention to detail is less than I desire and that costs me time. Rainforest is designed for dev shops and I work for an agency so I have to discover my own workarounds to make it suit my needs, and that's not a fault with Rainforest just something to work with in my situation. I give a 9 rating because I have sometimes struggled to communicate with support, wanted more direct honest responses with fewer assumptions about what my problems are.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Prepare to invest some time learning how to write tests for the crowd because tuning the tests is so important. Rainforest will gladly help so use their support as often as you get stuck. Break collections of test into 10 or less to keep things simple.

I have been using Rainforest for nearly a year to see if it could solve some of our business problems. What I've found is that it doesn't suit our needs. We aren't the business case it was designed for. We build websites and rarely retest code, we don't do regression except in very small areas. We hand it off to the client and they usually prefer to test rather than paying for it. Furthermore, we can't write front-end acceptance tests during sprints because there's no site content for testers to work with. That content usually comes at the end of the project. So while I believe it does solve QA problems, we just aren't the right client.

What Software Testing solution do you use?

Rainforest QA review by Ben A.
Ben A.

"Deploy frequently with the confidence that your new code doesn't break existing functionality"

What do you like best?

Unparalleled access to a large base of testers who provide timely feedback on established tests, keeping your product and development team informed of unexpected points of failure within your app's core functionality. Ability to run tests on various browsers, at any point during the day, accommodating all types of deployment schedules.

What do you dislike?

Testers always follow the tests literally as written, sometimes an ill-placed word can result in a failed test when the functionality is actually completely fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This multiplies your QA team's reach and scope at least tenfold. If you're a small team that wants to iterate frequently but doesn't want to push buggy code you should be using Rainforest.

Rainforest QA ensures that our core business functionalities do not fail when we deploy any changes to the codebase. This allows us to iterate quickly, with the confidence that only comes from a wide-sweeping QA system using multiple browsers and operating systems.

Rainforest QA review by Consultant

"Excellent software for tests, It is very useful"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to use, now they added a lot of features in order to test different scenarios and places, for the application that we are developing help us to trace the integration tests

What do you dislike?

For the more advance scenarios it could be kind of difficult to create a single test to iterate all the process, you need to write your test carefully there could be some testes a little picky, but they have a great client support

Recommendations to others considering the product

keep developing new features and listen the clients

Integration tests, and to create a big workflow to tests some major changes and test that everything is fine, it could be kind of difficult to create your tests having in mind that it runs more than 1 time, so have to be carefully with the data

"Making QA possible"

What do you like best?

Rainforest QA allows us to build and exercise a QA suite for our application with several key advantages: (1) We don't have to hire our own manual testers, and our license cost with Rainforest is a fraction of the cost of a full-time employee; (2) Because the tests are written in English, we don't have the brittleness and maintenance overhead of coded solutions such as Selenium; (3) Product managers and others who aren't coders are able to write tests, and these are exactly some of the people who are closest to the requirements. On top of this, Rainforest allows us to test against more browser environments than we possibly could stand up on our own.

What do you dislike?

We really haven't hit any limitations with Rainforest that have been a problem for us. We still need more tests in our suite, but that's our problem. It's important to realize that Rainforest is a great tool, but if your organization is struggling with adopting a quality culture, it won't magically solve that problem.

We can get more QA done than our budget would otherwise allow.

Rainforest QA review by User

"Great QA Testing Resource "

What do you like best?

I like that Rainforest allows me to easily set up end-to-end QA testing across all of my company's apps and features. The organization of tests (run groups, embedded tests, etc.) allows us to easily set up new tests and test applications end to end. Using them as 'building blocks' allows us to easily iterate on the tests and adjust them every time that we add new features.

This resource has allowed us to

What do you dislike?

The upfront time required to set up tests (step variables, writing the actual tests for each features, etc.) can sometimes be confusing, especially if your application/feature has branching paths, and you want to test each path individually.

The setup for testing native applications can also sometimes be challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for web application testing. Great platform coverage between many different browser and device configurations

Rainforest has allowed us to save a lot of time and internal hours for QA testing. Rather than set up automation testing for each feature/app, rainforest allows us to test our apps much quicker in a 'hands-off' way, and the human aspect of Rainforest QA allows us to catch more bugs and/or weird occurrences.

Rainforest QA review by User

"Great testing partner with continue improvement"

What do you like best?

When I start using this service I noticed that they really work based on the feedback of the testers and users, we noticed that it offers a valuable input on the release, the integration testing was the cherry over the cake to ensure quality.

What do you dislike?

sometimes on creating the tests it should consider to write it very clearly and direct instructions, the tricky part it that in some cases it could be difficult to run a test when it could be executed for 3 testers at same time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep improving and hear our recommendations, your costumer support is great, I found that I could talk a lot about my needs on testing features, I'll ask you if you please please continue with a feature that could let us to create a cycle of testing and if e.g. test 1 fails you can break them and report the error, I have a nested test like login, if login fails on a set of test it runs all tests failing on login, and thank you for make the testes more reliable I feel that the testers that really put effort on doing the test are working at rainforest, another feature it could be that set dependencies on tests or set 1 test after another.

Integration testing most of the time, it is quite useful when the new releases came and the testes provide information about texts, functions and performance.

Rainforest QA review by Paul M.
Paul M.

"Rainforest user for 2+ years"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use the interface to create and dry-run regression tests. The ability to insert variables is very straight-forward and allows for some powerful testing scenarios without making it otherwise too complicated.

What do you dislike?

I would like for there to be a way to version-control the tests from within the software. I also wish there was a way to prevent specific tests from being run in parallel (multiple testers run the same tests in parallel to achieve a consensus on if the tests pass or not).

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a significant amount of time required to "tune" the tests. Remember that the users running the tests do not know your software so there is a knack for spelling out the test instructions in a way that they can reliably follow it.

We use it to regression test our software releases. It saves many man-hours of testing for each release, and removes some of the burden for testing from the team.

Rainforest QA review by Taylor M.
Taylor M.

"Solid Platform"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of the UI, the browser options available and the variables system. The amount of information on the tests being run is also valuable. Support and our account manager have always been a pleasure to interact with and I have always gotten timely responses.

What do you dislike?

Organization options are limited for the tests page. I would like more options for organizing folders. Also the tests results page has limited options for sorting or searching for specific sets of tests being run.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be advised it is a great platform for regression tests, smoke tests, or tests that need to be repeated but can be rather time consuming to create tests as they need to be written out by hand essentially. Also the platform is not ideal for one-off tests for this reason.

My company removed our QA team, this is helpful in filling that gap. We were spending way too much time as an engineering team focused on testing the platform before each release. Rainforest has saved us a great deal of time and has caught issues on our staging servers prior to pushing out our release to production servers which has been a life saver on more than one occasion.

Rainforest QA review by Brad W.
Brad W.

"Manual web app testing via mechanical turk"

What do you like best?

We have been using Rainforest for over 2 years. It is an affordable way to outsource the manual QA testing of short workflows in our web application. Also excellent support and communication with Rainforest staff, they bend over backwards to make sure you are happy.

What do you dislike?

There can often be false positives (meaning, a bug or exception is reported when the system is actually working) for some random reasons that have to do with the testers getting confused about the test directions. This problem gets worse for longer tests. Thus have to make the directions as simple and clear as possible. Keeping tests short can be a real challenge, because your test has to be entirely self-contained, so the tester has to do some setup within the test. Further complicating this is that multiple testers (e.g., 5) hit the same system at the same time, so whatever setup and changes that one tester does must not interfere with what another tester does. This can be figured out, but requires some special planning of the tests.

We wanted to have end-to-end manual tests of some key workflows that can be run on release candidate builds, before our weekly deploy to production. But did not want to pay for staff or other expensive outsourcing to run these tests. Rainforest QA solves this problem very well.

Rainforest QA review by Morris C.
Morris C.

"Establish E2E UI Test Coverage Quickly"

What do you like best?

Writing tests in Rainforest QA is super simple because it's done in plain english and does not require technical expertise, which makes it quick and easy for anyone to get started. The customer support provided through their website via intercom is very responsive 24 hours a day, and the CSMs are friendly and extremely responsive via email as well.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally the manual testers can be a source of false positives and negatives due to a misunderstanding in the tests or simply not following the steps properly. However, with some recent changes they've made, this is a fairly uncommon occurrence.

We're a startup in a growth phase with limited engineering resources and needed to build up UI test coverage quickly while we were building our long-term automated testing framework. While we've completed that, Rainforest is still great for establishing test coverage while a feature is still new and in a constant state of flux, or we want to go-to-market quickly and have confidence with a regression test suite in place.

Rainforest QA review by Heath H.
Heath H.

"Rainforest is the best kept secret in the testing world"

What do you like best?

Rainforest allows us to automate our UI testing without writing any code. This means that the whole process of writing and maintaining tests is much faster and anyone on the team can do it. Rainforest also comes with a whole infrastructure of machines with every OS/browser combination that we need and runs all our tests in parallel. We can have actual humans run our entire regression suite across as many browsers as we want to and get the results back in an hour or less!

What do you dislike?

If you need to support legacy or less common browsers or operating systems, you might need to pay extra for Rainforest to set up custom machines for you. Also, the nature of crowdsourced testing introduces greater data security risk, but as long as you have scrubbed testing data, I believe it's well worth the risk.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're worried about crowdsourced testing not being an industry standard yet, don't be! As long as your committed to proper maintenance and test writing practices, this product is a much better use of time than building out a UI test suite/framework in code.

Here at ActivTrak, Rainforest has helped us grow our confidence in quality while enabling us to speed up our release process to deliver value to our customers more rapidly. Rainforest does repetitive and time consuming UI regression testing for us so that our time and resources can be used more efficiently.

Rainforest QA review by Travis W.
Travis W.

"Excellent augmentation of QA processes"

What do you like best?

We've been able to take a defined suite of tests and have them executed by actual people every day allows us to dramatically increase our test coverage without increasing headcount. They continue to iterate and evolve the product, advancing a vision for QA as a Service that has me really excited for the future.

What do you dislike?

You do need someone to manage the test suite. Rainforest has some offerings that help this, but like with any outside resource someone internally needs to be accountable for ensuring proper test cases are written and ensure good coverage.

Rainforest is our main source of quality testing our product.

Rainforest QA review by Jake C.
Jake C.

"A simple, fast, easy solution to implementing QA testing"

What do you like best?

Rainforest is easy to use, and very easy to get up and running. You can go from nothing to running tests in a matter of minutes. The options available for test writing, including support for images, .gifs, and variables, makes it easy to write dynamic tests that are easy to understand. Their browser support is very comprehensive, and the ease of testing across environments and browsers is a huge plus. As a company, they have also proved incredibly receptive to any feedback we may have, and have worked to implement new features based on our feedback.

What do you dislike?

Results can sometimes include a number of false positives. The scope of test writing also leaves something to be desired, although with additional variable features they've released this is becoming better and better. The results view can sometimes be confusing when monitoring multiple test runs, but the view within a test run is very straightforward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Rainforest have been incredibly receptive to all of our feedback. Any features that we felt they were lacking, they have graciously fast tracked for us, and are constantly rolling out very useful new features. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a manual testing solution.

We are using this in lieu of a manual QA team, and we have been able to reduce our manual efforts down to nearly nothing, leaning on Rainforest for most of our testing.

Rainforest QA review by Alex E.
Alex E.

"Using Rainforest to expand my 1 person QA Team"

What do you like best?

Coverage vs. Time Spent is incredible. After setting up my regression tests, a suite that would require a single test roughly 16 hours to complete, Rainforest can execute my tests within 100 minutes. Thats a lot of coverage in a short amount of time and I can utilize this service 24 hours / day.

What do you dislike?

Tester Quality. The testers utilized by Rainforest, early in our relationship, were sometimes quite questionable. What I liked coming out of this however, was the time and resources Rainforest spent in correcting this. The client services team were very responsive and I was able to measurable progress in tester quality increasing. NOW, we are seeing results in the accepted range of accuracy Rainforest promised.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for Start Ups and small companies that do not have the capacity to house a full QA department. Reliable and Fast results. This app requires constant and dedicated management. As your product evolves, so will your tests. Hiring an in house QA Lead or Project Manager full time is a must.

Quality Testing Coverage. We are able to have testing coverage at over 80% of all our products through Rainforest. This type of testing coverage would require a full team of QA resources. Keeping that size of team on staff comes with overhead. Rainforest allows us to tap into a resource like that only when we need it.

Rainforest QA review by Executive Sponsor in Computer Software
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

"Great long-term testing support"

What do you like best?

Rainforest really allows you to scale your QA team with its fleet of testers. The UX and workflows are super easy to setup, and their debugging tools are top notch.

What do you dislike?

Rainforest isn't a drop-in replacement for the entire QA function. Be prepared to dedicate at least one full-time QA lead to manage the overall effort, otherwise you can get a very disorganized test suite.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Plan out a holistic testing approach before you dive in so that you create an organized test suite that runs on a sensible schedule and achieves good coverage. Otherwise you run the danger of frequent false negatives and lots of test maintenance overhead. To Rainforest's credit, they went above and beyond and provided a lot of helpful support in this regard.

End-to-end testing of our enterprise software platform. We're able to do plain-english tests across a multitude of browsers in a way that automated e2e tools cannot yet achieve.

Rainforest QA review by Administrator

"A solid option that requires ongoing attention but scales well"

What do you like best?

I can get a full QA run done quickly, at any hour of the day

What do you dislike?

Tests have to be written in a very specific way. Testers follow instructions to the letter and won't make any assumptions or logical leaps, even when you think it should be obvious. This produces very predictable results, but it also means writing tests that produce a passing result can require a fair amount of trial and error.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Expect that you'll still need to do a lot of setup work. You will feel like you are micromanaging a QA team when you set up a test, but once you're done, you can feel confident that your QA team will follow your instructions to the letter.

We use Rainforest to perform QA in lieu of an in-house employee performing QA. We are a small team, and we found that our QA needs were often a bit spiky. Sometimes having one dedicated QA person was a bottleneck, and other times, that person didn't have much QA work to do. Rainforest is a good fit for this pattern.

Rainforest QA review by User in Computer Software

"A new light in testing end to end feature of web and mobile apps"

What do you like best?

- The best thing I like about rainforest QA is the ease of writing test in plain english language.

- Easy integration with slack to get notification when test is running

- Ability to trigger test from command line CLI

- Test grouping and tagging is easy

- Quick support

What do you dislike?

Sometimes its difficult to communicate the test steps. You will have be very simplified with the instructions before testers can understand

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe it is an interesting tool. Will save a lot of engineering time writing e2e tests. You can easily write the tests yourself or can make use of the test request available in RF.

Save a lot of time writing end to end test and we can focus more on developing features

Rainforest QA review by Ryan v.
Ryan v.

"Rainforest: A different way to automate QA"

What do you like best?

It's a clean, easy to use automation system.

What do you dislike?

There are some features which don't exist as of yet, like exporting to PDF or Excel file for test cases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient, it takes time to get used to writing test cases, but once you get it it's incredibly rewarding. It allows you to free up time re-testing when you move to new environments.

They've sped up our entire QA process, as well as allowing us to build a deep documentation system for workflows we can pass to new users.

Rainforest QA review by Sammy S.
Sammy S.

"Rainforest - Code more and ship faster "

What do you like best?

Rainforest was a very easy product to implement into our workflow. We went from manually testing to having Rainforest catch bugs we never knew existed. We started to see results from our very first test run.

Creating tests take little effort as well. The ability to attach pictures and add gifs make it very helpful for the testers to understand what you want them to do.

What do you dislike?

Reporting could be a little better but overall we have nothing to complain about rainforest.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We looked at many companies but Rainforest was by far the best one out there!

Having the ability to run regressions has been very beneficial for us. When we release large features, regressions could take days for us and now it just takes a hour!

"Your mileage may vary"

What do you like best?

Rainforest QA makes it super easy to build end-to-end test cases from scratch that anyone can write or run. You don't have to worry about the fuss of setting up your own test infrastructure or solutions (e.g. parallelizing test case runs or test execution resources) which means you can go from having nothing to a respectable set of smoke tests in no time.

What do you dislike?

The initial investment to build a test suite for Rainforest QA is much cheaper than building out your own solution from scratch (e.g. Selenium), but if you're using Rainforest QA a lot (e.g. lots of test cases running multiple times each day), the cost can add up fast. For us, Rainforest QA was a great initial solution until we were able to build and mature our own automated testing solution.

If you don't have the time or expertise to build your own automated end-to-end test cases, Rainforest QA will work out great for you. It was a way for us to get quick UAT equivalent testing so we could confidently push our code into production until we built our own end-to-end testing solution.

Rainforest QA review by Jeff N.
Jeff N.

"Rainforest QA"

What do you like best?

The software is super adaptable. The tests are in plain text so everyone can contribute to the quality of the testing.

What do you dislike?

The tests can return slowly at times, and can be somewhat rigid. We try to use that rigidity to our advantage , by being as strict as RF can be about the answers. Ultimately, it makes us better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep up the great work. Expand testing base in the US to decrease latency in testing.

We've caught countless bugs already. When users who are neutral to your success/failure are your testers, they're often more honest with the tough work of finding problems.

Rainforest QA review by Alex B.
Alex B.

"Automated testing, but with the benefit of humans!"

What do you like best?

Rainforest QA can best be thought of as a UI-driven functional system test automation service. The fact that real humans are executing the test scripts is a benefit in that it allows for easy detection of unanticipated errors or display issues. Because test runs are an "embarrassingly parallel" problem, a full test run takes no more than the duration of the longest manual run in a set, which itself may not take significantly longer than a custom-built Selenium run. Creating and maintaining test scripts is however vastly easier and creating them during development as part of a BDD cycle is feasible. Cross-browser testing is enabled with a simple checkbox on a test and older browser version are supported.

What do you dislike?

Rainforest QA has recently improved its UI and that makes the tool more usable for a broader audience. As with any service, cost can be an issue. The ease with which Rainforest QA runs can be scheduled (and the almost game-like feedback one receives from each run!) quickly deplete the monthly test allowance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Rainforest QA will not magically maintain itself. When adopting it, make very clear who owns and maintains the tests. The more cross-training can occur (especially outside software QA teams) the more successful it will be in the long run.

I brought in Rainforest QA to replace a manual release regression testing process. It allowed in-house testers (whose primary responsibility was unrelated to quality) to transition to more valuable exploratory testing in the production environment. Rainforest QA dramatically increased the predictability of test runs and allowed for unscheduled ad hoc testing during, e.g., system upgrades. The cross-browser testing added an additional benefit which was not originally anticipated.

Rainforest QA review by Marc F.
Marc F.

"Rainforest QA: Agile On Steroids"

What do you like best?

1) Speed of results: we run our extensive regression test suite in as little as 30 minutes. This used to take 2 person weeks.

2) Maintainability: Rainforest QA makes our large regression test suite easy to maintain. Writing new tests for our latest development sprint or modifying exisiting tests in case of an application refactoring is just changing the text in a few places.

What do you dislike?

1) The cost is significant. We currently run a regression test after each 2-week development sprint, and that is all we can afford. We would love to move towards more continuous delivery and continuous testing but that would break our budget.

2) Contracts are a bit inflexible

We have a legacy web application with over 300 pages. We use Rainforest QA to run a full regression test on that app. Normally this would take us 2 person-weeks to run manually. With Rainforest we get the results in as little as 30 minutes. This extends our agile development process to agile testing. We now can regression test the whole application at the end of a development sprint and release a new version to production the same day. That's agile on steroids!

Rainforest QA review by András H.
András H.

"Quick and reliable quality feedbacks"

What do you like best?

-Feedback speed: hundreds of test steps executed within an hour

-Reliable results: every test case is executed by multiple testers, most of the false results are filtered out by Rainforest automatically

-Low maintenance costs

What do you dislike?

The initial effort for creating test cases is high.

We are able to release our software frequently, without having a large inhouse QA department or an automated regression test set.

Rainforest acts as a safety net for us.

Rainforest QA review by Diana  N.
Diana N.

"Highly recommend using Rainforest. Extremely helpful"

What do you like best?

I like how quick and easy it is to have test checked and super helpful with running the really long detailed tests. This allows me to focus on new features.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the VM is really slow, which could sometimes create a tester to mark the test failed. Something timed out so user could not continue. We checked it on our end and it was working fine.

This allows us to catch bugs if some code changed and our in-house team is focusing on new features. Having more sets of eyes to test with benefits the products outcome.

Rainforest QA review by Tim G.
Tim G.

"Rainforest increases engineering confidence and shortens product development lifecyle"

What do you like best?

Faster development process and reduction of bugs in our product releases through easy test creation and maintenance. Our developers can write tests as they code to ensure good coverage.

What do you dislike?

Occasional false positives due to tester misunderstanding or not following instructions correctly. UI can use some improvements when navigating between tests.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Rainforest CSM team is a great resource to help you evaluate the product and get your tests set up correctly.

With a relatively small engineering and product team trying to push product changes quickly, we need confidence in our QA coverage so we deliver bug-free experiences to our users. Our engineering and product team was spending too much time testing, and we never had confidence we were testing the right things. By building out a test suite in Rainforest for smoke and regression testing of our product, Rainforest has sped up our product release lifecycles by almost double.

Rainforest QA review by Mitchell S.
Mitchell S.

"Rainforest helps you scale your development without sacrificing quality"

What do you like best?

Being able to run a large set of tests using a large QA crowd in a short amount of time allows us to quickly determine if a release is ready or not.

What do you dislike?

Every so often there are false positives due to tester misunderstanding, so you have to make sure your test steps are clear.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a ramp up time to get your tests built and "Rainforest Ready". Start with a small set of tests or a single functional part of your application. The best part is that once your write tests and maintain them, your regression suite gets bigger and better over time.

As we grew our business, we needed a way to scale the QA aspects of our engineering department easily and efficiently. RainforestQA allows us to leverage a large QA workforce, giving us peace of mind as we quickly innovate and develop our product.

Rainforest QA review by User

"Great value for the price"

What do you like best?

24/7/365 availability, multi-tester results, logs and video recording of testers sessions

What do you dislike?

Some testers do not follow the instructions well

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nice tool if you know what you want and what you get.

We use RainforestQA in place of regular test automation for regression tests.

The main benefit is that updating tests for RFQA takes much less time than updating automation scripts. Also I like that code changes of our apps that are not visible to users do not affect tests, while with regular test automation we would have to bother with fixing the scripts all the time.

Rainforest QA review by Executive Sponsor in Internet
Executive Sponsor in Internet

"Might be good in some cases but really didn't work for us"

What do you like best?

Honestly, we didn't get any value from it. We spent the entire time trying to get it up and running in a way that works with their system.

What do you dislike?

We were sold something different than what we got. I wish we would have trialed the product. We ended up buying and getting no value from it but it was too late at that point. We also ran into many false positives where it said something was broken when it wasn't.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Push for a trial to ensure you will see ROI. They wouldn't work with us at all after we signed so it ended up being just a large sunken cost.

We were trying to improve our QA process. It ended up being more work to manage "Rainforest" than it was to solve the problem in a more traditional way. We didn't get any ROI on this investment.

Rainforest QA review by James K.
James K.

"Innovative approach to QA that allowed us to get coverage in record time."

What do you like best?

The ability to run "manual" test on demand and get results within hours and not days.

What do you dislike?

Current UI/UX is a little clunky and hard to use at times.

Quick functional testing & feedback on new software releases. We are able to quickly determine if new releases have regression or are ready to move up the CD pipeline.

Rainforest QA review by User in Internet

"Its a solid automated manual testing tool"

What do you like best?

- Easy to write Tests and embed steps

- Easy to Review Results

- Easy to Verify Failures with mostly clear explanation given my the testers around the world and with the help of the screenshots displayed on every step.

- Sorted Cross browser Testing

- There are new mobile platform coverage which we have not tried it.

- Client Support is quick to respond

- Prevent bugs from getting to the production environment

What do you dislike?

- Getting to know the workflow at the beginning can take a while.

- Investment of time in setting up random login variables for testers

- Record n Play testers testing behavior would have been better than the screenshots but Rainforest has been working on it , so hopefully this wont be a limitation anymore

- The VMs are sometimes slow which causes false test failures as testers are not able to complete their tests.

- Cannot select a specific location testers to execute the tests

- Maintaining the tests could be a trouble

Cross browser testing

Limited QA Resources

Regression testing

Critical path testing

Verifying User facing changes

Rainforest QA review by Administrator

"Test automation without writing code"

What do you like best?

I like being able to write test cases as I would for manual testing and run hundreds of them in less than a couple of hours. Saves time and the testers look at your software just like an automation script would. Gives you the flexibility to test in multiple environments and mobile apps (both iOS and Android), and covers multiple browser testing. It also doubles as a virtual machine that we use to do compatibility testing.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike, but they could do with more options to generate custom reports and allow users to drill down on the data -- ie a list of test cases that frequently failed for the last couple of months.

Quality assurance, regression testing, daily smoke tests and test data generation

Executive Sponsor

"Great Value for QA Teams"

What do you like best?

Human testers, good test writing interface. Reliable and consistent results. Good contact from support staff.

What do you dislike?

So far, there is nothing I dislike. Rainforest has been a great partner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the product and take some time to learn how to write stubs. Automate a feature set or area. Don't try to write test cases across a wide feature set, but write end to end in a single area.

Additional resources to help with device and/or cross browser testing.

Executive Sponsor

"Great success management team supporting a vital application for our organization"

What do you like best?

Relationship

Mouse tracking of the actions as part of the tests

Consistency of the test (automation-like) with visual validation

What do you dislike?

Well, we always want everything to be cheaper...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get some decent hand holding in the beginning to clearly define the scope of the testing and create the scripts accordingly.

Repetitive testing that was time consuming for our QA staff now automated through Rainforest = consistency of the tests + time saving

"Great QA Service"

What do you like best?

The ability to update, edit and maintain your test scripts are my absolute favorite. Well then there's the amount of testers they have is another great feature!

What do you dislike?

We had one technical issue that caused all of our test to fail but that was quickly resolved by the support team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, they will not disappoint you!

Instead of manual regression testing, we need automated testing and thorough testing. So using Rainforest solved both of those.

"Don't even bother"

What do you like best?

Interface was approachable and easy to understand - although I avoided it as much as I could because it wasn't actually useful.

What do you dislike?

Manual regression testing is a boondoggle and a waste of time. Remote testers don't have the domain knowledge to provide useful feedback or do effective exploratory testing.

I'm really glad we ditched Rainforest for our own automated test suite and in-house manual QA from our customer support teams. We don't have to wade through irrelevant bug reports and our support teams have a much better understanding of how to answer customer questions after writing their own test plans.

Automates manual regression testing, which you should NEVER be doing. Spend any time you'd be using for writing those manual test plans on write your own browser test suites instead. It's not hard.

"Love the time saved!"

What do you like best?

Using Rainforest QA has saved my team numerous hours in regression testing before a big deployment! I love it!

What do you dislike?

There is not too much I do not like. I found the on-boarding and customer service exceptional. The account manager assigned to our account has been a pleasure to work with and is very responsive.

Time management! Using Rainforest QA has saved my team numerous hours that we once spent completing manual regression testing.

Rainforest QA review by Administrator

"Changed our QA process from 0 to hero"

What do you like best?

Rainforest QA is easy to set up, monitor, and adjust as necessary for different testing scenarios.

What do you dislike?

Setting up each individual test step can be a bit time consuming, but is worth it in the end.

We are adding the ability to user-test all code before pushing it to production. We are catching bugs and workflows for specific users faster and better than ever before.

Rainforest QA review by Chris M.
Chris M.

"Move fast and don't break stuff"

What do you like best?

Great concept, great team, great product. Rainforest gives us the ability to move fast and ship great code.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there is little to dislike. When we started using Rainforest, we didn't have mobile app testing. That has been added in the last year.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are struggling with QA, definitely take a look at Rainforest.

Either we build out a large QA team, or we use Rainforest. We do the latter. We work with large enterprise clients who would not tolerate bugs in the product. Rainforest allows us to 'punch above our weight', accessing a large virtual QA team on demand.

Rainforest QA review by User

"Enjoyable E2E QA without the hassle of coding the tests"

What do you like best?

Integration with external service i. slack enable monitoring of the status of the tests without necessarily logging into the application

also, the test run really fast..faster that the earlier E2E system we had before

What do you dislike?

It would be awesome to allow importing of test from an external VCS i.e Github as it would make it easy to have internal review of tests between the development team. Also this will allow version of the tests per the application

running QA from the mobile app has improved as we no longer has to maintain Automated End to End, freeing up the developer time

Rainforest QA review by User in Design
User in Design

"Time saving for company without in-house testers"

What do you like best?

Once the test cases are written, you can schedule and run them. They also managed to solve the pain of having to write test cases by providing test writing service.

What do you dislike?

No ability to search keywords within the test cases and the entire web application is notmobile responsive so you cant check test results or trigger test on the go.

We didn't have tester even though we are releasing new features every week. We also didnt want our developers and designers to spend most of their time doing regression testing. Rainforest helped to save time on regression testing.

"Very cool tool"

What do you like best?

The ability to call it from CI tools, the way to create the tests and the fast run times.

What do you dislike?

The UI is sometimes a bit cumbersome to use. It's hard to run changed tests in a bundle, without creating a lot of tabs

Almost all our features are tested with rainforest. It gives me great confidence in our product

"Time Saver"

What do you like best?

The best part is clicking a button to run several tests at once.

What do you dislike?

Creating and streamlining test cases is a bit time consuming

Regression testing has become so much easier. I no longer have to think about what to run, I just hit a button and Rainforest runs all of it, while I do something else.

Rainforest QA review by User

"Convenient & Time Saver"

What do you like best?

Run test in multiple browsers and devices. Ability to use the VMs at my disposal in case a test need revisions.

What do you dislike?

Wait time to receive test results. After trying several methods the wait time still has not improved much. Also, testes can be careless at times and do not leave proper feedback which results in test failures and time compsumtion to review the test.

Not having a proper QA team lead us to use Rainforest which solved our problem. We went from deploying software that contained bugs to better and more rigid software.

Rainforest QA review by Consultant

"QA to QA"

What do you like best?

Tests and stubs are easy to create and link together once you get used to the interface.

What do you dislike?

Some reviewers will fail steps because they read too far into directions. In the spirit on comprehensive testing, I really wished one of my testers didn't fail a step because a test step read: "copy and paste [Link] into a new browser" The tester failed this step because I didn't include "press enter" to trigger the browser to load the link.

We used rainforest to ensure a reskin of our platform was functional.

Rainforest QA review by Administrator

"Easy, well supported and effective."

What do you like best?

RainforestQA have a great onboarding process, their customer service is easily their strongest point. Even after you're onboarded they stick with you and support all of your needs.

The app it's self is well built and it's easy to perform the tasks you want.

What do you dislike?

At times RainforestQA can feel quite pricey.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take full advantage of all of the services which they have to offer.

Offboarding areas of quality assurance which would otherwise be conducted manually and be very time consuming.

Rainforest QA review by User in Internet

"Great way to automate QA"

What do you like best?

The ability to "spin up" QA resources on demand is amazing. This has allowed us to keep a high quality product without spending a ton to build up an on site QA team

What do you dislike?

Some testers can take the tests too literally but that just means I need to write better tests.

Automating testing without hiring a large QA team

Rainforest QA review by Deepali A.
Deepali A.

"Director of QA"

What do you like best?

Turn around time for test results. Its very fast to get many tests run bu multiple people on multiple devices.

What do you dislike?

False Positives. Lot of times Testers do not follow the exact mentioned steps.

Running simple tests that take a lot of time in in house.

"Rainforest Review"

What do you like best?

I like the addition of video submissions for testing

What do you dislike?

Without a ton of work on our ends, we get really surface testing

We havent hired a person for QA, so Rainforest is filling that gap for us

Learn more about Rainforest QA

Rainforest QA Videos

Learning about Rainforest QA?

* We monitor all Rainforest QA reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.