Ranorex Studio

Ranorex Studio allows you to set-up robust test automation scripts for a wide range of desktop, web and mobile applications. For managing and executing automated tests, Ranorex Studio provides a comprehensive range of test automation tools based on standard programming techniques and languages, making them ideal for teams of all sizes.

Work for Ranorex Studio?

Learning about Ranorex Studio?

Ranorex Studio Reviews

Ask Ranorex Studio a Question
Showing 13 Ranorex Studio reviews
Ranorex Studio review by fletch w.
fletch w.

"Ranorex Test Automation Platform"

What do you like best?

Ranorex is a fairly powerful test automation platform, particularly given it's price point. Compared to other tools I've used (QTP\Quality Center, TestComplete, Selenium), there are many benefits out-of-the-box other than price:

- reporting libraries

- support for multiple browsers and devices

- more robust IDE and debugging capabilities

- native .NET, so no need to use archaic scripting languages or to learn new ones

- for us, being presented via native .NET libraries means we can actually forego the Ranorex IDE (built upon SharpDevelop) and perform all development within Visual Studio. The benefits of this include

-- native .NET compiling and debugging - better than sharpDevelop's and far better than QTP\Selenium

-- easy integration with tools we already use: TeamCity, SVN, nCover

-- QA and development use the same tools... can share projects, code, resources

What do you dislike?

UPDATE APRIL 2017:

With the v7 release, Ranorex now supports running automated tests against the EDGE browser. However, if (like us) you counted on their native support for Visual Studio, and have developed your framework within Visual Studio rather than the Ranorex IDE, you've been left out in the cold. Ranorex has chosen to keep their WebDriver integration private, meaning that people who are referencing Ranorex libraries with Visual Studio still have no way to run tests against the EDGE browser. According to their Forum and User Voice sites, there is no plan to change this. Good news is that Telerik DOES support Edge, so for those of you in our shoes it may be possible to migrate...

=========

Limited third party integration. We can roll it ourselves, but out of the box integrations don't meet our needs most of the time.

Foreign product - which isn't bad (and there is a COE in Florida). However, the user base seems small compared to other vendor's offerings. This isn't mush of a problem generally, but when you need answers fast it can be a drawback

Not a lot of information about how to use... API is documented virtually without examples. Advanced usage information practically non-existant

License manager is slow to release licenses locked to clients that have completed work...

Recommendations to others considering the product

APRIL 2017 UPDATE - IF YOU PLAN ON TESTING AGAINST THE EDGE BROWSER, STICK TO RANOREX'S IDE. IT ISN'T NEARLY AS FLEXIBLE AS VISUAL STUDIO AND ITS DEBUG PERFORMANCE IS FAIRLY POOR, BUT EDGE TESTING IS ONLY SUPPORTED IF YOU USE THEIR IDE.

=====

If I had to do it again, I think that I'd have us stick the Ranorex IDE. It isn't as powerful as Visual Studio in terms of debugging, but there are a lot of features built into the "system" which many folks would probably want to take advantage of, such as visual test ordering\re-ordering, the new remote deploy and run functionality, multiple test drivers available natively, at the test case level...

If going the route we followed - into Visual Studio - spend a little upfront time building a robust test runner. We ended up putting together a nice test driver, but it works on the local machine level. Bringing it back out the the network can save a few headaches...

well, obviously test automation. After performing a POC with the Ranorex IDE itself, we were able to move to Visual Studio (reference Ranorex core libraries) and build a fairly robust test framework pretty quickly.

We are able to run thousands of tests against various app configurations and on various OSes pretty easily

We've done some POC work with mobile device testing and are reasonably satisfied with what we've learned, at least for Android devices.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Ranorex Studio
Ranorex Studio review by Joash M.
Joash M.

"Automate your business Process using Ranorex"

What do you like best?

Automated testing is the best way to meet all the goals related to the testing, but it is equally important to have the best automation tool to simplify your business processes and Ranorex, is one such automation tool which works with all the technologies and devices. It works with desktop and web applications.

The best part is that it is even mobile compatible. You can even perform cross device or cross browser testing using Ranorex. It has a good amount of documentation and user guides, it even includes image recognition, which is a challenge in most of the automation tools.

What do you dislike?

Ranorex is a bit complicated for the non programmers to start off with. Templates or solutions, which ease the testing process, are not separate for web/forms projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is no doubt Ranorex stands out of all the other automation tools. With a different approach, it has been proven to be the useful tool for larger applications even. Go and check out this tool as it is certainly a good shot to meet your testing requirements.

One most important thing which cannot be overlooked while putting hands on any automation tool is its power of Robustness.

Ranorex is purely a robust automation tool, which incurs into minimal test maintenance and covers all the dynamic user interfaces. It is based on object based architecture, which separates object identification from automation.

What Test Automation solution do you use?

Ranorex Studio review by Het P.
Het P.

"One of the greatest tool for Automation Developer!!"

What do you like best?

The way Ranorex work in using Repository and Tracker tool is simply great. I do not have to worry about finding XML paths manually and storing them in variables. Ranorex does it all for me. :D

What do you dislike?

I figured that Ranorex doesn't have a huge audience for support as some other tools like Selenium has. But whenever I asked for any questions or queries to Ranorex support team, they reached back to me with a solution within 24 hours which is great!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try to use the product for evaluation period. I am pretty sure, it will do the job you need to do in simplest manner. Especially makes it easy to code Automation using OOP concepts.

My company has a product that runs on multiple platform (Desktop, Web, and Mobile). I was in search of a tool which covers all the platforms in Automation development. Ranorex solved my problems. I already have some automation done for Desktop and Web. I will be starting with iOS 9 to which I look forward to.

Ranorex Studio review by doris M.
doris M.

"ranorex"

What do you like best?

I especially like because Ranorex is a test automation framework for testing GUI desktop , web and mobile applications -based . Ranorex is provided by Ranorex GmbH, a company developing software solutions innovative test automation software. Having a Ranorex not own programming language , using standard programming languages ​​instead

What do you dislike?

I too like nothing I dislike this app so excellent and reliable

Recommendations to others considering the product

100 % recommended for all the public. since this app has a lot of support and is easy to use and understanding

solved many problems with this app because with it can more easily test

Ranorex Studio review by Alexandra S.
Alexandra S.

"It's pretty good and has a good price point."

What do you like best?

I like that you can do a lot of things programatically. I like that it allows my agents to focus on more important tasks versus focusing on smoke testing. Plus, it allows more issues to be caught during smoke testing, as there is less room for human error due to repetition.

What do you dislike?

It's a little inflexible when it comes to older VB6 applications. I do not like the record function. It's very slow and occasionally off the mark. For applications that use Dynamically Named forms, there is very little help and I find the forums and it's participants very unhelpful. I also find the website is a nightmare to navigate through and that it's hard to find exactly what you are looking for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend getting someone already familiar with the software to do an introduction or maybe even hire a consultant (such as my company did) to aid in setup/primary development/training etc. Also, the Ranorex staff is often helpful.

Solving the hassle of doing simple smoke testing via employee vs. ranorex. It keeps my QA team free to test release issues instead of wasting 2-3 days smoke testing existing functionality.

Ranorex Studio review by BG B.
BG B.

"Ranorex is the most versatile and lightweight automation tool I have used."

What do you like best?

Ranorex is lightweight, fast, and easy to use. We do not do record and playback but I understand you could do this with Ranorex Studio. We simply use Ranorex Spy to determine Rxpaths and put them in the code of our in-house automation application.

What do you dislike?

Out of all of the automation tools I have used, Ranorex is the best. Their support is responsive and they release updates frequently. The only thing I can think of that I dislike is how they changed their pricing model to charge more for use on VMs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With update 5.3 you now need a special "floating" license to run or develop automation on a virtual machine. This hit me by surprise when I was asked by support to update to the latest version for a bug fix.

I am responsible for automating every client and server (windows forms and web applications) for two enterprise level applications. Ranorex is great because it can be used to automate all of them and there is no need for multiple automation tools (for each type of client: html, silverlight, flash, mobile, wpf, .net, etc...). This allows us to share code between all automation for all applications and their multiple clients, save money on automation technology and to keep things tidy.

Ranorex Studio review by Paul F.
Paul F.

"Second to None..."

What do you like best?

Ranorex minimizes the pitfalls of other test automation products. Maintenance is super fast and easy. Not only can you capture and playback, but you can add steps manually, and code in C# for robustness. Image processing is available with great post-processing options, and the reports are wonderful for debugging and very informative.

Variables and data-driven testing is a breeze, allowing the tester to create one test and iterate though it any amount of times.

Instead of straight programming, Ranorex uses modules which contain steps. These can be dragged and dropped into test cases. I prefer drag and drop any day over typing a method ten times over!

Ranorex recognizes more than just WPF for desktop applications. I've automated everything from .NET, webservices (Html, CSS), Java, PowerBuilder, and mobile devices. The only applications it has a little trouble with is some legacy applications, but what tool doesn't have trouble with that?

The IDE is visually appealing

The best part is that everything works out-of-the-box. No set-up coding or framework creation like every other tools out there.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! Literally. Even their forum is monitored by Ranorex support personnel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Complete a proof-of-concept with Ranorex and other tools. Most other tools require major overhead for set-up and require additional framework programming for reports, iterative testing using spreadsheets, and mapping. The other tools that don't require this are generally more expensive and don't support nearly as many frameworks.

Also - Ranorex can use third party programs via C# so you can access/manipulate databases, unix servers, and more.

Test automation in the medical device industry (regulated environments).

The benefits of Ranorex in the medical device industry include:

1. One-click (or continuous integration) regression testing for bug fixes and new builds.

2. An all-in-one tool that supports and recognizes most frameworks.

3. Lower cost licenses than other major tools.

4. An almost immediate return on investment after purchasing tool.

5. Software developers are not needed to test using this tool.

Ranorex Studio review by Jerry W.
Jerry W.

"Fully featured integrated development environment for software automation engineering."

What do you like best?

Standard platform that everyone can contribute - manual testers, developers, product managers, technical publications, etc. all have a visual voice into the run configurations that we can regress. It plugs into continuous integration. It plugs into our test repository. It categorizes our object repository. It gives us an OO language to interface and show developers. It reveals things in our application that we can't see and developers forget to tell us. It can do all this from one environment and with one licensing server. You should see our iPad automation! Plug ins, plug ins, plug ins.

What do you dislike?

The investment up front is certainly in line with what the tool does but the routine maintenance is a headache even on the lower end. Good training is hard to come by especially in the US. It is getting better but if you miss a date near by it will be a long time before another class rolls around. We get around OK with our Macs but it does need to become less platform dependent. The run time is still brittle.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you require advanced run configurations and an automation environment (that doesn't crash like other products) but a bulk of your enterprise resources lack pragmatic programming skills then take a look at this product. When I was evaluating whether to teach Ruby to newbies or invest in a platform, Ranorex gave me the time and support I needed to make the right choice. It's a solid product that produces solid code that has proven to us to require less than half the effort in the maintenance of test suites across multiple lines of code than other products on the market. I've had success with two extremely different groups of testers/developers at two extremely different companies with two extremely different platforms over the course of the past 5 years.

Our distributed architecture demands automating portal technologies, standard web clients, mobile sites, and a Java based thick client, mixed user navigation, and multi-tenancy. Ranorex gives us a one stop shop to decrease the manual testing effort but more importantly build automation frameworks for our entire architecture effectively reducing risk, enabling advanced exploratory, and bridging the gap between developers and testers.

Ranorex Studio review by Carman O.
Carman O.

"Ranorex"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, getting up and running was quite easy

What do you dislike?

Needing more coding experience than other tools

We got automation up and running quickly compared to other tools

Ranorex Studio review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Automate Windows or Web Apps"

What do you like best?

The object identification and capturing is the best I have seen, after QTP

What do you dislike?

Sometimes its dumb at points where its simple image capture and checkpoint process

Automating data loading and pre-test set-up

Ranorex Studio review by Suraj J.
Suraj J.

"Best Automation Tool I've worked so far"

What do you like best?

There are so many to state: Visual Studio like IDE, Visual Studio compatibility, Source Control Software integration, Object repository (especially Awesome Xpath to make your life easy), practical and affordable licensing, frequent releases (with patches and updates) and finally great/quick support.

What do you dislike?

The test execution result reporting can be better. Though I like Ranorex as a programmer, it is bit difficult for the testers without good programming background.

We use Ranorex for automation of regression test suit. The benefits are reliable automation scripts, cost reduction and quality software delivery.

Ranorex Studio review by Brenda J.
Brenda J.

"Ranorex is a powerful UI tool with a vast knowledgable community and highly qualified support team."

What do you like best?

The tool is an excellent aid to quick testing with minimal effort and training.

What do you dislike?

I would prefer to have fewer licensing restrictions.

I'm able to quickly test many facets of the company's software with little overhead.

Ranorex Studio review by User in Internet

"Best UI tool. Comparing other tools. Still there is limitation."

What do you like best?

It's object oriented programming. It's very easy to find XPath elements.

What do you dislike?

The reports are not very clear in percentage. There certain issues in data source and adding test jobs in Jenkins.

* Daily regression run

* find bugs on new and existing feature

* Catch issues easily

* I did find lot of bugs using ranorex tool

Learn more about Ranorex Studio

Ranorex Studio Downloads

Learning about Ranorex Studio?

* We monitor all Ranorex Studio reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.