RationalPlan

RationalPlan is a powerful project management software designed to help both teams and project managers to create consistent project plans, allocate resources and analyze workload, track work progress, estimate project costs and manage budgets.

Work for RationalPlan?

Learning about RationalPlan?

RationalPlan Reviews

Ask RationalPlan a Question
Showing 22 RationalPlan reviews
RationalPlan review by <span>Dave E.</span>
Dave E.

"Great Software for Project Management"

What do you like best?

I really like this software. It has a WBS portion to help construct your project ans it also has a Risk management Area. These are 2 features that really set this apart from other basic task tracking software. Don't get me wrong it does have task tracking and a Gantt View for schedule.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I would like is a mobile app. I am out of the office and a mobile app would make this software so much better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try it is really nice software.

We used this software to create an internal tech training project.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about RationalPlan
RationalPlan review by <span>Rui Miguel C.</span>
Rui Miguel C.

"One word: Amazing"

What do you like best?

Transitioning from Windows to Linux became a challenge when it comes to Project Management software. I though nothing could beat MS Project and until finding RationalPlan, all the applications I tested were either buggy or seriously missing features.

It was a huge relief finding RationalPlan as (almost) all of the features I expected were there, and even more. The product is solid, extremely intuitive, extremely helpful and don't think this as unimportant, it looks good! Absolutely nothing to complain about on the usability front. It is very clear lots of investment has been made so the application is a doddle to use.

On thing it does not have and possibly rightfully so, automatic leveling. This is completely compensated by a flawless manual leveling interface. After using it for a while I started understanding the idea behind the decision of not doing auto leveling and it started making sense.

Moreover, it has excellent reports and I absolutely loved the fact that they are customizable so I can export them and send them directly to customers without having to worry about branding issues. Spectacular!

The other lovely feature is the fact that it makes it very easy to send emails concerning the project.

I have only tested the Single version, on which I got all this for free, but the prices are very acceptable as even the Multi version will take no one to bankruptcy. Even small companies should be able to afford it.

The bottom line is that I intend using it even if getting back to Windows. Amazing value!

What do you dislike?

The fact that it took me so long and too much pain before I discovered the existence of this application!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it!

I am budgeting custom made software development projects.

What Project Management solution do you use?

RationalPlan review by <span>Martin W.</span>
Martin W.

"Simple but effective"

What do you like best?

I have been planning projects lasting months with several workstreams and dependencies between activities. It allows me to do this in a simple enough way to be effective

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found anything to dislike!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth considering

Both the creation of the plan, and the communication of it

RationalPlan review by <span>Tanya F.</span>
Tanya F.

"Love it more than MS Project"

What do you like best?

I like that it is web-based and easily compatible with Mac, and it has similar features to MS Project which made it very easy to switch. It has all of the task and Gantt Chart features that the executives work with want to see. It integrates with Outlook, so tasks can be emailed to responsible staff. The export to PDF is great for sharing a snapshot of all the tasks in the entire project along with the Gantt Chart.

What do you dislike?

The export to Excel loses the tier levels of the tasks and subtasks. There's no way to set up emails on tasks that are late. The main way to track tasks is by manually entering the percentage of work completed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product for anyone comfortable using MS. Project but wanting to get others in the company more involved and participating with updates.

I am using Rational Plan as a MS Project substitute and have greatly benefitted from the PDF export which allows me to quickly provide a copy of any project for status at executive meetings.

RationalPlan review by User in Banking
User in Banking

"Great project planner"

What do you like best?

Simple and straight forward project planner. The quality is in the ease of use and functionality. RationalPlan is a tool I use in every project. Helps to organize the stages of a project (I use the Multi version)/phases and all the activities. Nowadays I even use it to calculate costs and resources (hours) to plan the project portfolio. Support from RationalPlan is exceeding expectation. Prompt and correct response. The team solves issues swiftly.

What do you dislike?

The reports on costs and resource usage are very detailled. I would prefer an overview of highlights on resource capacity (though I can present it on a screen, printing it is not really easy). Next to that I would like to print a full project report (front page, financial overview, gantt, resources and costs) in 1 print. Risk management is still minimalistic (for most sufficient though).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use tool for starting, medior and senior project managers. For senior users RationalPlan could lack on some functionality (sophisticated resource leveling e.g.). Something I never use/do.

Project planning; resource planning (multi projects); fast adjustments in complex projects with a lot of changes during the start-up of the project(s).

RationalPlan review by <span>Rick S.</span>
Rick S.

"Best choice I found for my small projects"

What do you like best?

I need a project planning/mgmt tool that is simple to use, fast to learn, and has the basics. Something that allows me to create project timelines, with lag times and other standard constraints and interdependencies. I do not have time to learn the more complex tools, and rationalplan has filled the void for me.

What do you dislike?

It looks like it's built in Java. Does not use the OS X interface elements, such as the Save dialog box. It works though and it is usable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

as noted in product review

I am just trying to manage simple research projects in which I have very few people working on the project, and so just want to get a basic idea of how lag times and other interdependencies will effects when major project phases are likely to complete.

RationalPlan review by <span>Roy W.</span>
Roy W.

"Excellent Teaching Project Software Tool"

What do you like best?

I have over the last 4years, have used RationalPlan software successfully as a teaching aid for Project Management at James Cook Univeristy. I find it is well supported, intuitive to use and the students are confident and competent in its use in less than one hours tuition, which allows teaching and learning to be a more rewarding process for all. Students have been able to successfully develop highly detailed and well constructed plans with the use of this tool.

The steps take away anxiety with the software's inbuilt guides and hints and its ability to quickly transform schedules into budget costs which non-accounting students are very pleased with. At the end of the subject they are very proficient with this project tool and have found it easy to translate into other industry compliant project software.

I would highly recommend this as a great tool for teaching project management & planning. This tool delivers at a fraction of the cost what other much more expensive software does.

What do you dislike?

I have none and find this latest version smoother to use than previous and have found that each upgrade is delivering a better finished product and very good value.

Teaching Project Planning to Tertiary students.

Students who have utilised this class have gone on to use the software in developing plans and schedules for group assignments in other tertiary subjects and in planning their PhD.

In teaching, this tool delivers the ability of much more sophisticated software at a level that reduces anxiety in students and allows better learning to be acquired.

RationalPlan review by <span>Sandra K.</span>
Sandra K.

"Best project scheduling alternative to Microsoft Project"

What do you like best?

This tool, unlike many others my organization investigated, is based on sound project management principles. the sidebar "Project Guide" walks the user through the basis process of setting up, planning, and controlling the project. We were especially impressed that the WBS view keeps the focus on the tasks, before moving on to identification of predecessors and dates. It also offers the functionality of assigning and leveling resources at the correct stage of the project scheduling process.

Once you have experienced the right-click functionality to indent/outdent tasks, add predecessors, etc., you might not want to ever go back to MS Project.

The email support is reliable, fast, and friendly, regardless of the time of day.

The free Viewer allowing users to open MS Project files is fantastic.

What do you dislike?

Some of the language used to describe Fixed Units vs Fixed Work tasks is somewhat awkward.

we have also found that it does not play well with WebEx, which we use to train remote users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a non-profit organization, this is the number one best, most cost-effective tool for managing project schedules.

Our organization conducted an exhaustive search of project scheduling tool vendors. Our criteria included:

- Based on sound project management principles

- User-friendly interface

- Lower cost than MS Project

- User/administrator support

- Most of the functionality described below:

Must have Features:

- Reports

Nice to have features:

- Non-working time calendars

- Multiple dependency types

RationalPlan was the only tool that met all these criteria.

RationalPlan review by <span>Steve F.</span>
Steve F.

"Incomparable Value"

What do you like best?

An easy-to-use project management tool with dependencies and a gantt chart for a tiny fraction of the MS project price, and it doesn't slow down my poor bloated laptop. It generates pdfs and it's file can be viewed by anyone with a free viewer

What do you dislike?

Filters on the different columns could be easier to use, and so could levelling resources; however, they are just a thing to learn and they work fine once you do so

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it

I have used this program for building a school with a large team and for a personal task list that had complicated dependencies, and everything in between.

RationalPlan review by <span>David M.</span>
David M.

"compatible and better that MS Project"

What do you like best?

As a project manager we use GANTT charts to understand where we are. We run RationalPan our own server and it is fantastic value for money.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing really to say here, if you know and like Microsoft Project then this fits the bill and exceeds.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Trial the software, import an existing Microsoft project plan and play. You wont go back!

We run multiple engineering and construction projects and use RationalPlan to control everything from concept to close out.

The additional enhancements like risk control are a value add that we find extremely useful.

RationalPlan review by <span>Joseph M.</span>
Joseph M.

"Rational Plan project planning software"

What do you like best?

This is the best alternative to Microsoft Project I have seen. It is much easier to use for either a very simple project or to expand as much as you wish for more complexity. I have used many planning software products going back many years to when these programs were only on mainframes. I have a small business now and use it for keeping things on track and also to estimate projects. I would recommend this to anyone.

What do you dislike?

Not much. I have a little trouble printing portions of a project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you, like me, want project management functionality for small to medium sized projects, and only spend a portion of your time on project planning, I would recommend this program. It is easy to use, and easy to make changes.

Exploring how to manage my time on multiple projects.

Estimating project durations and cost.

Staying on track with projects.

RationalPlan review by User

"BRILLIANT PROGRAME"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, clear gantt chart and useful for budgeting

What do you dislike?

Cant shorten the bars from the left side by drawing them

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have tried nearly every program available for gantt charts and this one beats them all as far as im concerned

construction of 45 houses, ideal for programming time lines and resources

RationalPlan review by <span>Christoph R.</span>
Christoph R.

"Lightweight and fully featured alternative to Microsoft Project at a fraction of the costs"

What do you like best?

RationalPlan is a lightweight and fully featured alternative to Microsoft Project at a fraction of the costs. For our company it was important to get a system which fits into the existing IT budget and allows collaboration throughout the company. Therefore we choose to use RatioinalPlan server which fulfills all our current requirements.

What do you dislike?

A few years back we had some issues with the upload of projects to the server. However all these issues could be solved after we reported them to the very friendly development team.

Sometimes we find a missing feature but there is often a way around it - or we suggest it to the RationalPlan developers (some of them then find their way into the an upcoming release).

We now have a consolidated and therefore efficient and effective planning environment used by all employees at our company.

RationalPlan review by <span>Stefano F.</span>
Stefano F.

"great project software, the best for Linux!"

What do you like best?

It's clean and easy to use. Definitely the best for Linux (I use Ubuntu)

What do you dislike?

The printing functionality could be improved to make it easier to create a PDF to send to customer (it should be easier add comments, additional information like project name, ecc)

Recommendations to others considering the product

keep improving compatibility with microsoft project, keep an eye on usability

create plans and share it with team and customers

RationalPlan review by <span>Edward R.</span>
Edward R.

"Good alternative to MS Project"

What do you like best?

Value! MS Project is a hugely expensive piece of software. I needed something better than a spreadsheet but couldn't justify Microsoft's juggernaut.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve. This is the same with whatever software I chose but the documentation was a little lacking (MS Project is well documented with books etc to supplement the manual).

Ongoing planning and scheduling. Spreadsheets weren't good at moving tasks about.

RationalPlan review by Administrator

"Multi Project"

What do you like best?

The ability to set up a projects and track the progress

What do you dislike?

it is not very easy to learn are your own. Needed to have an instructor/expert

employee are more productive and timely

RationalPlan review by <span>Luv L.</span>
Luv L.

"Simple and easy to use"

What do you like best?

Ability to export to PDF and also to MS Project via XML.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the XML export doesn’t work for all users

Ability to create project plans using a Mac computer.

RationalPlan review by <span>Benjamin M.</span>
Benjamin M.

"Best Multi-Platform project manager"

What do you like best?

Working on a multidisciplinary group we always have people working in different OS. This is the best alternative for us. Is a complete project management tool.

What do you dislike?

better integration with MSProject is some times needed, but in general is a complete tool for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, specially if you need to share projects between different OS.

Exploring how to manage my time on multiple projects.

RationalPlan review by User in Research
User in Research

"Managing projects on a Mac in a windows environment"

What do you like best?

Fully featured. Easy to learn. Does a full import of mpp files.

What do you dislike?

As far as I can tell, I cannot export to mpp files. I guess it is doable through a xml file, but this is implies an extra step I don´t want my colleagues to have to do.

We work in development of scientific equipment in an operational setting. The group includes scientists, many using Macs, and engineers, mostly using windows and microsoft project.

RationalPlan review by User

"Gantt Charts"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of the program and ease of use while still having enough functions to create meaningful schedules.

What do you dislike?

At times I run across buggy issues while using the program that keeps lines highlighted.

The ability to create clear Gantt charts with dependencies.

RationalPlan review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"It works as a very competent project management tool, and is free on Ubuntu for single-use"

What do you like best?

It works as a very competent project management tool, and is free on Ubuntu for single-use. It will open and save MS Project files - which helps with sharing plans.

What do you dislike?

Could do with additional analytics (unless these are on more expensive version)

No full open-source edition (esp for Windows)

Planning relatively simple projects and sharing with other teams

RationalPlan review by <span>Ariel L.</span>
Ariel L.

"Great Project Management Software"

What do you like best?

Simple, llightweight, multi-user, excellent customer support that usually respods in less than an hour.

What do you dislike?

None. Rational Plan fills our needs perfectly.

We use Rational Plan for our local office project management.

Learning about RationalPlan?

* We monitor all RationalPlan reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.