RationalPlan

RationalPlan is a powerful project management software designed to help both teams and project managers to create consistent project plans, allocate resources and analyze workload, track work progress, estimate project costs and manage budgets.

Work for RationalPlan?

Showing 21 RationalPlan reviews
RationalPlan review by <span>Rui Miguel C.</span>
Rui Miguel C.

One word: Amazing

What do you like best?

Transitioning from Windows to Linux became a challenge when it comes to Project Management software. I though nothing could beat MS Project and until finding RationalPlan, all the applications I tested were either buggy or seriously missing features.

It was a huge relief finding RationalPlan as (almost) all of the features I expected were there, and even more. The product is solid, extremely intuitive, extremely helpful and don't think this as unimportant, it looks good! Absolutely nothing to complain about on the usability front. It is very clear lots of investment has been made so the application is a doddle to use.

On thing it does not have and possibly rightfully so, automatic leveling. This is completely compensated by a flawless manual leveling interface. After using it for a while I started understanding the idea behind the decision of not doing auto leveling and it started making sense.

Moreover, it has excellent reports and I absolutely loved the fact that they are customizable so I can export them and send them directly to customers without having to worry about branding issues. Spectacular!

The other lovely feature is the fact that it makes it very easy to send emails concerning the project.

I have only tested the Single version, on which I got all this for free, but the prices are very acceptable as even the Multi version will take no one to bankruptcy. Even small companies should be able to afford it.

The bottom line is that I intend using it even if getting back to Windows. Amazing value!

What do you dislike?

The fact that it took me so long and too much pain before I discovered the existence of this application!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it!

I am budgeting custom made software development projects.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about RationalPlan
RationalPlan review by <span>Martin W.</span>
Martin W.

Simple but effective

What do you like best?

I have been planning projects lasting months with several workstreams and dependencies between activities. It allows me to do this in a simple enough way to be effective

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found anything to dislike!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth considering

Both the creation of the plan, and the communication of it

What Project Management solution do you use?

RationalPlan review by <span>Tanya F.</span>
Tanya F.

Love it more than MS Project

What do you like best?

I like that it is web-based and easily compatible with Mac, and it has similar features to MS Project which made it very easy to switch. It has all of the task and Gantt Chart features that the executives work with want to see. It integrates with Outlook, so tasks can be emailed to responsible staff. The export to PDF is great for sharing a snapshot of all the tasks in the entire project along with the Gantt Chart.

What do you dislike?

The export to Excel loses the tier levels of the tasks and subtasks. There's no way to set up emails on tasks that are late. The main way to track tasks is by manually entering the percentage of work completed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product for anyone comfortable using MS. Project but wanting to get others in the company more involved and participating with updates.

I am using Rational Plan as a MS Project substitute and have greatly benefitted from the PDF export which allows me to quickly provide a copy of any project for status at executive meetings.

RationalPlan review by User in Banking
User in Banking

Great project planner

What do you like best?

Simple and straight forward project planner. The quality is in the ease of use and functionality. RationalPlan is a tool I use in every project. Helps to organize the stages of a project (I use the Multi version)/phases and all the activities. Nowadays I even use it to calculate costs and resources (hours) to plan the project portfolio. Support from RationalPlan is exceeding expectation. Prompt and correct response. The team solves issues swiftly.

What do you dislike?

The reports on costs and resource usage are very detailled. I would prefer an overview of highlights on resource capacity (though I can present it on a screen, printing it is not really easy). Next to that I would like to print a full project report (front page, financial overview, gantt, resources and costs) in 1 print. Risk management is still minimalistic (for most sufficient though).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use tool for starting, medior and senior project managers. For senior users RationalPlan could lack on some functionality (sophisticated resource leveling e.g.). Something I never use/do.

Project planning; resource planning (multi projects); fast adjustments in complex projects with a lot of changes during the start-up of the project(s).

RationalPlan review by <span>Rick S.</span>
Rick S.

Best choice I found for my small projects

What do you like best?

I need a project planning/mgmt tool that is simple to use, fast to learn, and has the basics. Something that allows me to create project timelines, with lag times and other standard constraints and interdependencies. I do not have time to learn the more complex tools, and rationalplan has filled the void for me.

What do you dislike?

It looks like it's built in Java. Does not use the OS X interface elements, such as the Save dialog box. It works though and it is usable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

as noted in product review

I am just trying to manage simple research projects in which I have very few people working on the project, and so just want to get a basic idea of how lag times and other interdependencies will effects when major project phases are likely to complete.

RationalPlan review by <span>Roy W.</span>
Roy W.

Excellent Teaching Project Software Tool

What do you like best?

I have over the last 4years, have used RationalPlan software successfully as a teaching aid for Project Management at James Cook Univeristy. I find it is well supported, intuitive to use and the students are confident and competent in its use in less than one hours tuition, which allows teaching and learning to be a more rewarding process for all. Students have been able to successfully develop highly detailed and well constructed plans with the use of this tool.

The steps take away anxiety with the software's inbuilt guides and hints and its ability to quickly transform schedules into budget costs which non-accounting students are very pleased with. At the end of the subject they are very proficient with this project tool and have found it easy to translate into other industry compliant project software.

I would highly recommend this as a great tool for teaching project management & planning. This tool delivers at a fraction of the cost what other much more expensive software does.

What do you dislike?

I have none and find this latest version smoother to use than previous and have found that each upgrade is delivering a better finished product and very good value.

Teaching Project Planning to Tertiary students.

Students who have utilised this class have gone on to use the software in developing plans and schedules for group assignments in other tertiary subjects and in planning their PhD.

In teaching, this tool delivers the ability of much more sophisticated software at a level that reduces anxiety in students and allows better learning to be acquired.

Learning about RationalPlan?

* We monitor all RationalPlan reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.