ReadCube

ReadCube is a free reference management and research software for scientists.

Work for ReadCube?

Learning about ReadCube?

ReadCube Reviews

Ask ReadCube a Question
Showing 12 ReadCube reviews
ReadCube review by <span>Tiffany L.</span>
Tiffany L.

Great alternative to Mendeley for research organization and archiving

What do you like best?

If you are part of a research environment on a college campus, you can use your school login information to access publications and research pdfs that download automatically to ReadCube. This is definitely my most widely-used and useful feature of the application. Once you authenticate your school information, there is a "download" button beside each research result. All you need to do is click it, and it's downloaded to your hard drive. This is especially useful when you're researching for your paper and need to reference many, many other studies. Without this feature, you'd have to visit each website. Some also only allow you to download articles and papers if you're a paying member of the magazine or publication.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't have as many organizational and tagging features as Mendeley and other research software. It also stores the papers you download onto your local computer, but Mendeley gives you storage in the cloud so it is backed up and can be accessed anywhere. To get this feature on ReadCube, you will need to upgrade to the Pro version. The free version also is limited in some features that you get with Mendeley. So it is the difference of if you need these features, and if you'd like to pay for them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're an advanced user, try ReadCube free before upgrading to the Pro version! It's a worthy and up-and-coming competitor to Mendeley.

I'm using ReadCube for discovery and archiving of research documents. I've mostly used it for the benefit of being able to download PDFs from websites without having to visit the webpages themselves.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about ReadCube
ReadCube review by <span>Katherine L.</span>
Katherine L.

Nature trying its hand at paper management

What do you like best?

I think the design and the professional look of the software is great

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Nature is not open access. Instead, they use this software to allow me to view some articles but I cannot download or print them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Most people choose a paper management software and then stick with it for the rest of their academic careers. I am not sure that Readcube is the one you want. I think papers or even Mendeley are better suited for the task. Nature is a big business and so the software looks amazing. With more open access abilities and better implementation I think the software could be used in the future. However, in it's current implementation I only use it when I need to view a paper that I don't have access to.

One benefit is that I can read more than the abstract of papers in journals that my University has not bought a subscription to. Other than that, I do not see a huge use for the software.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

ReadCube review by <span>Martín Ezequiel L.</span>
Martín Ezequiel L.

A great and free app for scientists!

What do you like best?

I like to register my whole library of papers and scientific research, and the ability to read it on-app with bookmarks, highlighting and comments in a non-cluttered environment. It also allows to download pdfs from the web browser and to connect with my university server.

What do you dislike?

It's a little shameful that it is not available for Linux distros, being the most popular platform for Computer Science students like me. I hope they change this, although I think it will be difficult if it's not from the start. It's also a tad slow and prone to crashes, but I think this will be eventually solved. There are also paid extensions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would also consider other apps, like Mendeley Desktop. It's also free.

I use it for my everyday research on scientific topics and to prepare my master Thesis. It's great to have a free app to organize all your data, which sometimes can be messy.

ReadCube review by <span>Marcelo d.</span>
Marcelo d.

A new tool managing research sources

What do you like best?

ReadCube has a slick interface and its abilities of reading, highlighting and annotating PDFs are very useful. When importing PDFs, ReadCube tries to identify the relevant metadata, similarly to Mendeley. Unfortunately, many academic publishers use different formats for incorporating metadata in their articles, making automated solutions like ReadCube fail often. However, in addition to allowing manually entering the metadata, ReadCube adds a welcome functionality, called "Help ReadCube resolve article", where the user fills the blanks by simply highlighting parts of the article and setting its category (title, authors, journal, etc.). Then ReadCube checks online for a match. This makes correcting PDF metadata in a large libraries much easier.

What do you dislike?

In comparison with its competitors (EndNote, Mendeley, Zotero, etc.), ReadCube is still a young system and there is a lack of support for the many different reference styles in use. Also, the basic (free) version has limited capacity for adding multiple PDFs, requiring manually entering one by one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

ReadCube can be great tool for centering your reading and annotating activities on PDF files, but regarding reference management, it still falls a bit short, probably due to its relatively young age. Nonetheless, it is a platform that deserves following, since in its short history, it introduced some interesting innovations on its area.

The main benefits of ReadCube is its interface, more modern and clear than its predecessors, and its transparent access to internet resources, which makes easier to find matches for orphan PDFs.

ReadCube review by <span>Abha G.</span>
Abha G.

Convenient for reading, organizing and citing research papers

What do you like best?

ReadCube has a very user friendly interface for Macs which is rare for most citation and reading tools. The citation is linked to Microsoft Office Word and makes citing papers very easy. The auto update of the sequence in which the papers are referenced is super convenient. The software auto-sorts the papers based on the topic or lets you organize your own folders. I love using this for reading and taking notes on a paper which I can later use in my manuscript. ReadCube also offers over a 100 citation styles to suit your need.

What do you dislike?

When a manuscript in MS Word cites more than 20 is papers, ReadCube gets really slow and starts crashing. The papers from the downloads folder do not auto-sync on a Mac. This means one has to manually add the papers to ReadCube.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a research organization or a university department that relies highly on research, I'd recommend ReadCube for reading, organizing and citing research material.

As a graduate PhD student, I have to read a lot of different papers from many sources for a thorough literature review. Organizing the material and being able to access the information at the right time is usually a challenge. Citing the papers in the correct and uniform form can be really time consuming. ReadCube makes that part really easy.

ReadCube review by User in Higher Education

Readcube is good but not really needed

What do you like best?

ReadCube is a free and simple tool to read, manage and discover research new literature for both your work or personal needs. With Readcube you can: import your PDF collection, automatic extract metadata and identify articles, customize lists etc.

What do you dislike?

In order to be allowed to have unlimited cloud storage space for your PDFs you need to purchase ReadCube PRO. I would prefer if they had expanded the current space limit to the free version on the cloud storage.

Most importantly, most functions done by ReadCube are in my opinion not that useful or essential to the reader.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you to first try this software to see if you like it. It is up to your personal taste.

I use ReadCube first of all to discover new publications in my field of expertise. Then i am able to organize them very easily in an eye-catching way.

Learning about ReadCube?

* We monitor all ReadCube reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.