Reason

The recording software with everything you need to create amazing music.

Work for Reason?

Learning about Reason?

Reason Reviews

Showing 13 Reason reviews
Reason review by <span>Jordan B.</span>
Jordan B.

If you are looking for something that resembles hardware this is it!

What do you like best?

What I love about reason is it's updated interface, it allows me to drag and drop my sounds instead of manually looking for them. If I need a drum kit to play around with it's a drag and drop solution and playing and gaming right away. I love how reason can get instantly brilliant sounds with a few clicks and can get as detailed as you want. I also really enjoy patching cables on the back, it allows me to see the signal flow if something is not working correctly, and reconnect the cables to get back in the action.

Blocks are incredibly helpful if you come from an 8bar approaching method how you build each section is a block has it's own space and is completely separate from another block. It allows me to arrange my elements on the song and if it's not apart of the block I can lay an instrument over it. This is a really flexible program for any musician.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I really don't like is the clip editor, I'd have to say that is a really big component of composing. It has nothing to do with astetically appearance, having a deepened window and plus and minus bars are just archaic about and in my eyes fail to recognize a detailed approach what about a magnifying mouse expander and closer. The last thing I would really like to see is it's own sets that can be redrafted back into a new song.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you come from an audio engineering hardware class this is exactly the way it resembles it in real life it's a nice transition from real hardware and quality, just in a nice digital package that does a nice job handling the cpu on a ton of tasks you can really have; your virtual studio and play in it too ;D. If you are also looking for an Mac environment there is kong and it can go one step further. I still use reason amongst my arsenal of cool daws, reason has something special. The rack otherwise where you can patch things in there are even patch bay splitters! Its a nice way to get an idea going quick!

Reason has a vast array of sound design capabilities that a lot of programs. Even the old stock instruments like maletsröme the graintable synth is able to still achieve fantastic results! Subtractor uses minimal effort to achieve a really nice bass and some interesting alternating fm chord sounds, with a little distortion from scream 4 you can get some early tweaky sounds. Now that Vsts are apart of the workflow that reason has it's hard to stop creating with this DAW. The response it has to new editions of synths is amazingly fast I am able to really dive as deep as I need to be. Versatile and fast auto detect of midi instruments allows me to plug in and go. Creating beats,

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Reason
Reason review by <span>Charlotte D.</span>
Charlotte D.

Reason Review

What do you like best?

The best thing I like about Reason is the intuitive layout and design. The realistic components make the music creating experience feel more organic. Additionally, I enjoy the addition of color coding and blocking. It matches well with my composition process.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the default rack that always appears with a new project. I prefer to start with a blank slate.

Reason has been helpful with the creation of electronic tracks for live instrument with electronic performances. Having access to numerous built-in sounds as well as the ability to create/manipulate pre-recorded sounds from within the program has been beneficial.

What Audio Editing solution do you use?

Reason review by <span>Benjamin W.</span>
Benjamin W.

Propellerhead's Reason is a powerful tool for MIDI-based music production.

What do you like best?

The sheer amount of sounds that come with Reason is cause enough to purchase it for one's musical arsenal. Especially when used alongside other audio programs, it is an extremely useful tool to have at disposal. Synths of many kinds, drum sounds, loops, samples, effects, and more are part of Reason's abilities. Another huge advantage is the ability to edit and tweak sounds with the program's advanced sound editing modules within each specific instrument's interface.

What do you dislike?

Some of the sounds included are a bit dated sounding. However, many of the presets are very great, and if they are not to one's liking, a few tweaks in the module's knobs and buttons can create a whole different, newer sound. In future versions and updates, I hope that Reason may update its default sounds to a bit of a more "modern" sound, i.e. reflecting modern music trends--however difficult that may be for a product designer!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe that Reason works best in cooperation with other audio programs. Coupled with other sounds and abilities included with other more raw audio-friendly programs, Reason is a great tool to have on hand.

I am not the most proficient keyboard player, so Reason's vast MIDI capabilities allow me to create the compositions and performances that I need--despite my inaptitude at live playing.

Reason review by <span>Reed B.</span>
Reed B.

Reason has everything you need to produce a full song

What do you like best?

I like the Redrum drum machine and the fact that it has a step sequencer. In line with the step sequencer, the master grid to align and edit every audio or midi track is very fast and intuitive. You can be and be up and running with the skeleton of an arrangement in minutes. The range of effects is also impressive and the customizing can lead to some very interesting results.

What do you dislike?

I still don't understand how to use the Rex sampler and .rex files. I know that it's good for sampling and splicing samples, but I find the Rex sampler unit confusing and difficult to navigate. I usually end up using the NNXT sampler instead.

Usually I've used this software when a client asks me to produce a track in a relatively short time period (if they need a quick turnaround). The arrangements are easy to make and edit quickly, and the overdubbing and tracking process is very quick too. There's not a lot of set up involved if you have a saved file to start from with all your preferences set the way you want.

Reason review by User in Staffing and Recruiting
User in Staffing and Recruiting

Avid Reason User - Highly recommend to those used to physical studio gear

What do you like best?

I love the virtual rack made to feel like an outboard synth & FX rack. Workflow is fantastic and intuitive. With version 9.5 they have made possible to use VST effects and instruments within reason (this was not possible in prior versions). Having the ability to use reasons A+ workflow, and the additional content and sounds possible with VST integration has taken away the one big black eye keeping reason from being a serious contender. Prior to the VST integrations Propellorhead included the RackExtension feature to allow 3rd party developers to put their content into reason, however i found the prices to not be extremely competitive. I have also found that the MIDI editing interface in reason is easily the best editing scroll available in Pro Audio.

What do you dislike?

There are times when the auto routing of racks can be frustrating as it can be clunky to rewire to your needs. As I stated above, the prices for content in the Rack Extension shop are not always the most competitive compared to the VST market (alot of great free VST's out there). This has however been remedied by the addition of VST support in 9.5

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot! they have a 30 day trial available with all functionality unlocked. Try it out and commit to making a track or two, start to finish and i think you will love it! Its a great product with an ever growing community behind it! I also think if you have used other DAW's and found the mixer function lacking, you will LOVE the mixer on reason.

I used reason to create supplemental backing tracks to use within a multi-campus church. We created tracks from scratch using both stock sounds and supplementary upgrades and rack extensions. One thing that was great with reason was the ability to teach others who are not used to pro audio applications but are musicians the workflow as there is an easy parallel between a pedal board/synth rack etc and the virtual rack in reason.

Reason review by <span>David P.</span>
David P.

A masterpiece in the musical creation

What do you like best?

Have a powerful portable recording studio anywhere. Its incredible professional console for mixing. Its excellent and endless devices; surely there is a device created exclusively guarantee quality and originality in your sound. Focused on musical creation and less on the technical aspects behind it, but allows much experimentation crossing cables behind the device; now even integrating hardware and software the possibilities are endless

What do you dislike?

some minor difficulties when manipulating the sound wave and import other sound waves

Recommendations to others considering the product

Reason is an impressive recording studio on your computer added to a great integration with the hardware of your choice. Makes great weapon to choose. Not limited to the study can also be used in live performances; everything is limited to what your imagination consider

Learning about Reason?

* We monitor all Reason reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.