Red Gate SQL Compare

SQL Compare makes comparing databases simple and fast. Create scripts to deploy differences or changes to databases.

Work for Red Gate SQL Compare?

Learning about Red Gate SQL?

Red Gate SQL Compare Reviews

Showing 16 Red Gate SQL reviews
Red Gate SQL review by <span>Joe C.</span>
Joe C.

"Best one of comparison tool"

What do you like best?

The variation from point and shoot comparisons with all of the default options to getting very specific with filtering.

Often times it is very useful to be ale to remove items such as user permissions but if that is what needs comparing, then the granularity is great

What do you dislike?

Little bit clunky to use as a tool for a many to many scenario where you don’t have a known good baseline to work from.

Despite having a fairly rigid deployment pipeline, we still find drift in the schema across our application DBs and for fine grained detail, this is the best tool we have found.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Red Gate SQL Compare
Red Gate SQL review by <span>HARDIK C.</span>
HARDIK C.

"SQL compare is not a Clear Winner in Few Areas"

What do you like best?

Installation was fairly quick and easy.When I first launched SQL Compare 9.0, I was presented with a dialog box that was intuitive and simple to use. I was able to immediately start comparing databases, with no steep learning curve to overcome. The results of the comparison seemed straightforward and easy to understand at first

What do you dislike?

As I got further into the process, I had difficulty figuring out how to perform certain actions. One problem I had was getting past the errors for the full-text indexes. Full-text indexes weren’t listed in the object list in the output. I removed full-text catalogs from the output via the filters, but this had no effect on the output. I eventually figured out that you can select to ignore full-text indexes as a project option and that there’s no other way to remove full-text indexes from the results. Changing the project options means rerunning the comparison to get a new set of results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Red Gate's SQL Compare is a product I have used for years and I love the latest version. Data and Schema Compare tools are very expensive!There are much cheaper alternative, But I am thinking in the short term the purchase would hurt but in the long term it would more than pay for itself in lots of ways.

the RegGate tool set is so useful for us as we run our operation on large set of clients with their all four environments Dev, Test, Stage, Live should be always in sync in order to work.. so with compare schema and Data tools from red gate we create the synchronization scripts along with the comparison of actual data streams as well.

What Other Non-Relational Databases solution do you use?

Red Gate SQL review by Administrator

"Excellent tool for Data comparision"

What do you like best?

This is the best tool in industry that I've came across till date, as it makes life simpler in many complex situations. RedGate is very easy to use, easy to compare the data between two Databases, even at table level and the best part is that it even generates scripts for the data difference found, so that Data can be synchronized just by running those scripts.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I dislike regarding this tool, except that the license cost is little high which I personally felt.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend 10/10

It is mainly used in situations where data is corrupted or deleted, or when replication has issues and when a snapshot cannot be applied, data can be compared with RedGate, and the difference can be synchronized with the Scripts generated, hence eliminating the need for Snapshot application. This helps especially when the Publication Database/Tables are huge.

Red Gate SQL review by <span>Mohit S.</span>
Mohit S.

"Great tool to compare and deploy database scripts"

What do you like best?

It does a great job of comparing database difference and generating a visual report of the same. You can then generate a script of the changes.

What do you dislike?

It does not work seamlessly with DLM automation as a part of the SQL toolbelt. The errors are not intuitive when working on DLM, and it need DBO access to the database, not just read/write.

Generating automated script for SQL database deployments.

Red Gate SQL review by <span>Maurizio M.</span>
Maurizio M.

"Great software for database diff"

What do you like best?

It's a really powerful tool. We used since 7 years SQL Compare and SQL Data compare. We've used with sql server 2005, 2008, and now with sql server 2012. It's useful the object filter (choose only, for example, role, stored procedures, functions, tables, etc...), great the find function and the deployment wizard, that bring you out the script to upgrade/etc your target database/tables/etc.

What do you dislike?

sometimes the script it's a little bit messy, but you can fix it in an easy way by setting the options (also for the project). sometimes you could get an error if you have some linked server in your stored procedures or function or some transaction, there are hints about that on the web (setting up transaction isolation level read uncommitted, and so on...)

Recommendations to others considering the product

buy also SQL DataDiff, it's a great tool for database management.

it simplify and make really fast our deploy on systems other than development. make a diff between server and..that's it, you've the script. of course we have to be careful about that (ALWAYS check and look at the script)

Red Gate SQL review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Great Tool for Database Comparison"

What do you like best?

I love the SQL Search feature. When working with large databases it can be hard to keep track of objects when multiple changes are being made by multiple users. The SQL Search Feature lets you search for a column name for example and will show you every instance of where that column name occurs in the database.

What do you dislike?

So far the product has been meeting my needs and I cant quite pinpoint anything at this point that I do not like as the tasks I have had to complete have been quite simple and I have been able to do them with ease.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A very handy tool for managing migrations. I would recommend using the SQL Compare if you have seperate development, test and production environments. It will make moving data object quite easy

When moving data from a testing to a production environment, the SQL Compare lets you ensure consistency between versions and manages the script creation for that process in a very easy to use manner. It saves the DBA having to write alot of extra code.

Learning about Red Gate SQL Compare?

* We monitor all Red Gate SQL Compare reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.