Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

REDCap

(115 reviews)

REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure web application for building and managing online surveys and databases.

Work for REDCap?

Learning about REDCap?

REDCap Reviews

Ask REDCap a Question
Showing 117 REDCap reviews
REDCap review by Samantha R.
Samantha R.

"The best survey software available"

What do you like best?

I have used REDCap for over 3 years and it is the strongest survey tool I have had the pleasure to work with. We have used it to create databases, registries, event feedback, and more. It is HIPPAA compliant which has allowed us to use it in healtcare surveys. It has an easy to use tracking system which has allowed us to use it for tracking required responses on a mid-point evaluation. It looks professional and yet is easy to use. There are tons of educational materials about it. And best of all, it is free.

What do you dislike?

The only option I wish REDCap would add is an easy "ranking" question where users can drag and drop choices in their preferred order

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your institution has access to REDCap then I would recommend this product over Qualtrics or SurveyMonkey. It is a stronger application and more secure than other software available.

We use REDCap to create patient databases, online registries, and to collect feedback on events.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about REDCap
REDCap review by Prince Tafadzwa K.
Prince Tafadzwa K.

"Make your survey with RedCap"

What do you like best?

RedCap is one of the few open source survey tools available today that protects sensitive and private data. Both you the user/administrator and people completing the survey are assured your work is protected online.

Also, I like RedCap because it suits me in my research work as it is specifically designed for research data. It is also browser based thus you can complete it without the need of looking for another software.

What do you dislike?

RedCap is specifically designed for institutions thus it might be a little troublesome setting it up on an individual capacity. Installation of RedCap requires a bit of technological know how making it difficult for people without much of this knowledge getting stuck on installation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A little bit of technical know how is needed for dealing with the installation and implementation of RedCap. Also, keep in mind that it works perfectly for research purposes and might not be the best for other types of surveys e.g. commercial.

I write medical articles and on some occasions I have to conduct surveys asking how certain medication is being received by patients. I use RedCap for my surveys and due to its intuitiveness, I am able to come up with right responses which help me in writing flowing, informative and educative articles.

What Survey solution do you use?

REDCap review by Nicole L.
Nicole L.

"Overall Great App for Managing Research Surveys "

What do you like best?

The best part of REDCap is that it's HIPPA compliant, which is very important to my lab that does a lot of clinical research studies. It's easy to pull and analyze data from REDCap since there's API support in R and Python. The survey design tools are pretty comprehensive, and when we needed to contact support they have been pretty responsive.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to make changes to your survey design after your project goes live. The built-in tools for descriptive statistics are helpful but can be pretty basic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful when designing your surveys as making changes later can be difficult

Building and managing research surveys and data for clinical research studies.

"REDCap Review"

What do you like best?

REDCap provides all the features necessary for research purposes. I can generate a report of all the fields I want and it would be updated in real time. REDCap also provides a mobile application for conducting surveys, which can store offline data on the local device as sand it to the master database as well. This is really helpful for data collection as people may not always have a stable internet connection when taking the survey.

What do you dislike?

REDCap, being open source, does not have amazing customer support. Also, the surveys cannot be entirely customized according to needs. You cannot implement CSS for aesthetic improvement. Also, the types of fields available are not always sufficient.You cannot insert custom validation for any fields, and the default validation options provided for text fields isn't widely used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should definitely use REDCap if you need real time reports with customized fields. This is very helpful for vast projects. If you want spectacular aesthetics, you should avoid REDCap as the default UI isn't really appealing and you cannot append CSS or Javascript codes to make changes to it. REDCap mobile application is very beneficial for offline as well as online data collection.

REDCap is used for collecting survey data from customers. Complex branching logic can be implemented very easily with the drag and drop feature. REDCap Mobile application is widely used for data collection on an offline as well as online basis.

"steep learning curve"

What do you like best?

I like redcap well enough. It has a nice look to it, an ease of use for our participants and does a great job handling our data and storing it for us. we work in reasearch and input A LOT of information on a daily basis. Redcap helps make this process super simple.

What do you dislike?

When it comes to creating a project, redcap is very hard to deal with. Coming into this project as someone who had never used redcap, I had to take several classes (i.e. pay for classes) in order to learn how to use every tool that is at our disposal. Also, sometimes redcap is not the best with make a project easy to create. There is a lot of time you need to spend navigating the program before going forward and creating your own project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you should take some classes to get to know this program before going live with it.

REDCap not only stores our data, but it helps us organize it too. It is a great program once you get to know it

View Original

"RedCap Not Making Me Red in the Face "

What do you like best?

There many options with this type of survey tool and with different clients requiring different options, it is helpful to have choices.

I like that Red Cap is one of the few open source tools that cares about data - specifically sensitivity and tries to protect your data. It's also free for not for profit groups, whcih we are so that is valuable. It allows us to customize the questions and thus, the answers we receive.

What do you dislike?

Setting up the tool may necessitate a call to IT or to someone who uses it often. It did take some time to get situated. It is fairly easy to use once you have it figured out. And you have to have a basic understanding of the types of questions and what types of answers you want - in order to effectively select the type of questions you want. If you aren't familiar with the types of questions, it can get difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take time to think about the questions you are asking so you know what tools to use. Talk to people who have used it to get a sense for what you might need to put thought into.

We have a lot of groups who all want information and data in a different format. This allowed us to have them ask questions and glean what they needed without interfering with some of the more strategic business needs the larger organization required.

REDCap review by Tyler W.
Tyler W.

"Efficiency of REDCap"

What do you like best?

I love how REDCap lets you build a database that is HIPAA compliant. For the research projects that I complete, once the database is built, any student can easily navigate the system to add data from patients or surveys.

What do you dislike?

REDCap can be complex to use and there is not a lot of user-guides or manuals out there for designing and creating a survey or database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

REDCap is a great tool to use, it will just take time to become familiar with the software and how to best utilize it for your research needs / focus.

REDCap centralizes all of your data and information so it eliminates the need for having multiple files with patient information on it.

REDCap review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great place for data storage and research productivity"

What do you like best?

I like that this is a relatively simple, fully customizable database software that allows freedom to conform to the ways in which I conduct research.

What do you dislike?

Seeing how this is in development, there is room for improvement. With that being said, it is great for what it is at the time. I think that this software could be improved by a more logical layout and diction for the buttons that are used in creating different sections of a project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this because it saves a lot of time in data analysis because it is able to automatically create data reports that give great starting points for complex data analysis.

We are solving databasing complications by diverting it all into one place and allowing for auto-population using surveys that are allowed to be sent out to participants of the study.

REDCap review by Taylor M.
Taylor M.

"RedCap Review"

What do you like best?

I loved that REDCap gave me the ability to see all other appointments that my participants had completed. I was in charge of Fitness Consults and it was very helpful to see if they had completed a health screening or a nutrition consult, prior to coming to see me. It allowed me as a provider to better serve them and use previous experience to create a more personalized environment and really engage with each person directly. It made participants feel as though I did my research on them.

What do you dislike?

The main thing that I disliked about REDCap was when you were searching for a specific person. If you were searching using first name, last name, date, etc. it would populate lots of different results. There was no additional ways to filter through this information except to choose each one individually and hope that you were correct. I thought this process could have been smoother. I also thought that the excel reports that you can export could use a bit of cleanup. Many reports were very confusing to understand the data at hand.

One of the main business problem that using REDCap solved was the ability for all members of our organizational team to view history and data on active and/or past participants. It allowed us to create a more personalized and professional environment where we were aware of all appointments that they completed to better serve them as providers.

REDCap review by Rana K.
Rana K.

"Useful in a research setting for those with or without data collection and analysis experience"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. Having had no experience in data collection and analysis, I found it a very beneficial and effective tool. Further, it was beneficial to have all research data stored in one database and easily to retrieve.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally, I found it slow and software may lag. I also had difficulty accessing support when I was trying to analyze my data in a different way than the software was allowing me.

The ability to store data in one database that is easy to retrieve, analyze, and showcase in a manner that makes sense to the end user. In research, it can be difficult to keep track of multiple endpoints. This tool simplifies this and can analyze data quickly (faster than having to enter data into an Excel worksheet, then work-out the statistical analysis).

REDCap review by User in Higher Education

"Not Intuitive, but user friendy"

What do you like best?

I've been using RedCap for a number of years, first in about 2013 for survey building at a prior company, and am currently using it for program management. I find REDCap easy enough to navigate after you figure out where in the many links, is the task you're attempting to accomplish,

What do you dislike?

The one thing that peeves me is reviewing the tool, as your making it, specifically when I'm checking on branching logic. To me, that should be more easily accessible from the page where you build the tool, and not through the "manage instrument" section

REDCap makes it easy for me to build the tools, I need, and is generally easy to follow by staff members who I need to collect information from after it's built.

"REDCap review"

What do you like best?

Redcap is extremely user friendly. I have no coding experience whatsoever, and yet Redcap makes it possible for me to design surveys and interfaces for data management.

What do you dislike?

There is an extent to what you can do on Redcap, so extremely complex surveys may not be possible to create.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Research all of the "tricks" to using Redcap. For example, there's piping, in which you can take an answer that a participant selected from a previous question and insert it into part of another question. You can also use html in Redcap to do things like indent, italicize, bold, underline, and change font size.

Redcap is our main source of data collection, data storage, and data organization and management. We use it not only for participants to fill out surveys, but for us to keep track of our own day to day research management tasks. This helps us to stay organized.

REDCap review by Lindsey M.
Lindsey M.

"Easy to learn software good for step by step database building"

What do you like best?

I really liked that there basic tutorials to teach you how to set up a database, based on what sort of information you wanted to capture. For example I administered cognitive assessments and I needed to capture scores of the various questionnaires I gave. It was very useful!

What do you dislike?

There wasn't a lot to dislike, but sometimes its hard to get multiple levels of data capture on one survey or questionnaire.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use the tutorials as it will be much easier than trying to figure it out right away on your own.

We solved problems around whether or not the scores of a various neuro cognitive assessment were validated. You could list the data as "yellow" which meant it still had to be verified, and had to be changed to green. Very useful for more accurate clinical trials research.

REDCap review by Jennifer C.
Jennifer C.

"Redcap "

What do you like best?

I like Redcap's reporting capabilities and its record status dashboard, both of which provide a way to quickly review data based on a particular need as well as a means to easily identify potential documentation errors.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you can't tab through Likert-scale items that are made through bubbles to select like you can when you type in numbers and any other blanks (takes longer to enter the data and makes a big difference when you are entering a lot of data at one time). I also don't like that it is only online and subject to internet issues that make it go down sometimes rather than having a cloud based option where you could work offline then re-upload the newest forms when back online or something of that sort.

Redcap is very good for managing our very large dataset and going through to find the subset of data or even just one piece of data through its various search options and reports.

REDCap review by Guzyal G.
Guzyal G.

"Experience using REDCap for quantitative research data management"

What do you like best?

I like that it is 1. browser-based, 2.designed specifically for medical research data, 3. open-source (which makes it free). One of the most important features, however, is that it is secure and can be used to store sensitive and private data.

What do you dislike?

For an institution to install it, it takes a while to contact the developers and install it. Also, it requires the installation on the institutional server, which can be a hassle. Additionally, it doesn't support some of the languages fully.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is important to assess the company's needs. REDCap is perfect for academic and research institutions, however, it may not be ideal for commercial projects. Also, it is important to have an IT team who would be able to deal with a technical side of product implementation

Once it was installed, we were able to quickly teach our staff and students to use it (short learning curve) and start conducting research studies using REDCap. It's very intuitive, so they were able to create databases and surveys quickly. Also, we don't have to worry about additional precautions to secure our data. Overall, it improved our data flow and quality.

REDCap review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Easy to learn"

What do you like best?

The program is easy to learn. I had to teach myself project management, data management, and surveying at my last job using RedCap. I found the training videos to be a great support as I worked through the different activities. Now I am able to bring my skills to my current job, where we used RedCap to create an intake form and we use it to document department staff training.

What do you dislike?

Features are not universal; it depends on what your employee pays and supports.

When doing surveys, cannot add multiple, un-linked surveys to a single project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Connect with local support team for assistance. Use the online tools and videos for training opportunities.

Intake survey we use to gather information about researchers at our hospitals.

"REDCap"

What do you like best?

We use REDCap to store patient data and it is very useful in terms of building reports and exporting data. I have been using it for about 3 years now and I am constantly learning more things about it that I did not know. I like that people can have different security settings so that you can restrict who can access which data and if it is deidentified or not.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the administrative controls - for example, that we cannot create projects without administrative approval. However, I understand that it is useful to keep track of which projects are going on and by whom.

Recommendations to others considering the product

None.

We use it as a database to store our patient information and our clinical study information.

REDCap review by User in Research
User in Research

"Relatively Difficult to Learn but Has Promising Features"

What do you like best?

REDCap provides a complete study-management suite, including archival of forms, tracking follow-up visits, sending emails, entering data, etc. It really is a one-stop-shop.

What do you dislike?

It is honestly difficult to learn and challenging to adapt to research studies that are NOT clinical trials. It would be great if there could be a behavioral study module where the clinical trial items are not even requested/set up, or if you could choose which items you'd like included. This may very well be possible, but I couldn't figure it out and although I still have access to the software, we have been using other shared-file means to keep track of research subjects/communications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find someone in your workplace who uses this for research study tracking purposes, and get a study shell from them to adapt. Get some tips and tricks that may help you start your trial more quickly. Be sure to think about your trial design and lay it out before you start implementing the project in REDCap.

Tracking clinical trials. Those who know how to use it extensively appear to really benefit from all of the tracking, communication, and data entry features. If we conduct a clinical trial instead of just interviews/surveys/behavioral studies, I will try it again. I think using it would produce a huge time savings.

REDCap review by Lekhoi C.
Lekhoi C.

"Excellent for research data collection"

What do you like best?

I like that it is easy to learn and use. It is easy to both create and use forms for data entry Redcap also has excellent features that help with organizing longitudinal studies that can help you keep track of data collected for many different research participants over many weeks.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be annoying to edit forms if a study is active. It can slow things down because everything has to then be approved by an administrator before changes can be made

Redcap makes data collection easier and quicker which improves efficiency and saves money.

"Free and Secure"

What do you like best?

I like that for clinical research RedCap is a known secure online platform. The IRB, who reviews research studies, are aware of it and do not make you jump through as many hoops if you are using RedCap

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack of customization beyond font size and colors for the actual survey interface that respondents see

Recommendations to others considering the product

An excellent choice if you want meticulous records of what was changed about the survey interface by co-collaborators. Although the survey interface has limited design function, the number of pre-existing answer templates and ease of adding logic to the survey make it worth it.

Secure way to collect data from study participants.

REDCap review by Cristell P.
Cristell P.

"Great for institutional requirements; could improve user-friendliness"

What do you like best?

I like that REDCap is used at my higher-ed institution and checks off all the institutional requirements. I like the ability to assign differen user roles and privileges as well.

What do you dislike?

My biggest con with using REDCap is that the interface isn't incredibly user-friendly.Sometimes it takes some trial and error to complete what youn set out to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to explore the interface as well as you can.

My organization conducts research in various arenas as well as through several projects. We are able to conduct research in a timely and satisfactory manner using REDCap. We can also have several users log into the same project without the necessity of sharing a username/password.

REDCap review by User

"REDCap as a Research Tool"

What do you like best?

This web-based research tool is HIPAA-compliant and secure, which assures protection from ethical violations when collecting research data. REDCap also offers a number of question types (such as direct data entry, multiple choice options, formula calculations, visual analog sliding scale) that make the resource suitable for many types of research projects.

What do you dislike?

Designing a research collection survey can be quite time-consuming until you understand ways to navigate the online system (i.e., REDCap could be more user-friendly to allow individuals to find necessary information more quickly and easily). REDCap also does not automatically save the data you input, so if you are idle for too long a period of time, REDCap logs you off but does not save your information. This feature is even more frustrating if you are collecting data from a research participant and the server/internet crashes, causing loss of all data on that page.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Though I have not attended one myself, REDCap tutorials are intermittently available at institutions that have purchased REDCap, which would likely help someone completely new to the system in becoming more efficient.

Because REDCap is HIPAA-compliant, we have been able to feel more secure in our data collection for research studies and primarily use this database for research data collection. As the data can be exported to Excel after collection, the tool provides additional flexibility for data analysis.

REDCap review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"REDCap is an invaluable resource in the data collection process"

What do you like best?

REDCap is simple, intuitive, and easy to use, with a small learning curve that allows even new users to understand report and project building within hours.

What do you dislike?

At times the interface can leave a little to be desired and the ability to make more cosmetic changes via HTML/etc. would be useful, along with more easily-accessible information on how to utilize import and exporting functions.

I use REDCap for data-entry purposes at a small scale addiction research facility. REDCap is used to organize, code, and consolidate large amounts of qualitative data.

REDCap review by Michelle L.
Michelle L.

"User friendly, easy to manage, and easy access to projects your working on"

What do you like best?

I like RedCap because its very user friendly. I find that the program is very straight-forward and information for the project you are working on is easy to find. No more clicking a gazillion different things just to access your study. RedCap also has a section of help topics/videos that make it easy to learn anything you want about RedCap. Any projects or studies you design, can be easily implemented. You can also import/export data directly into any project in minutes. For me, managing the contact list of survey participants was right there. I didn't have to sift thru endless information to find what I was looking for. You don't have to worry about data loss and security as everything is autosaved and secured. When inputting data, at least for the project I was working on, alot of it was just checking boxes, or drop down menus or writing a short paragraph on each survey participant. Anything that required dates and times, there was always a pop up calendar and automatic slider set in military time or you could manually enter the information as well. When signing into RedCap, you are automatically taken to the project you are working on. There are tabs at the top that are organized into each section. Home, My Projects, Create New Project, Training Resources, Help & Faq and Send It. Using RedCap also helps lower costs of using a paper trail because mostly everything can be done online safely and securely. Overall, I really like RedCap and for the future studies I will be doing, RedCap will be incorporated as a tried and true great little software program.

What do you dislike?

Some of the niches of this program would have to be getting a user name and password. I'm sure it is different for everyone and the deciding factor is the company you work for. On my end, it took well over 3 weeks before I was given access. Which meant extra paperwork to keep every survey participant updated.

Sometimes, RedCap would lag a bit and maybe a few fine tuning and updates would fix the problem. On occasion, the program would just black out and shut down. In which I would just reload and sign in again and whatever happened would be fine again.

Overall, this software does have a few glitches and I did get frustrated when my data would have to be entered in again. But it was rare.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider everything you are doing for your project and weigh out the pros and cons. Do a trial run. Read and watch all the tutorials which are a big help. And ask, ask, ask questions if you have any. Don't sit in the dark.

We have incorporated RedCap for a fish consumption study called The Wisconsin Angler study. We use it to record data and stats on the survey participants. The benefits of this type of software make for a more user friendly experience and it also helps lessen the amount of paper that is used when doing a study. It was half and half for us. Survey participants still received and filled out the necessary paperwork, I collected the biological samples and then inputted my findings into RedCap.Its very beneficial when you have all your findings and information right there in front of you versus having to open several programs,sift thru paper folders,etc. To which another study I am doing requires 4 programs and lots of paperwork.

REDCap review by Natalie P.
Natalie P.

"The savior"

What do you like best?

I like how much you can do it it. It seamlessly keeps track of data, scheduling, and acts as a check for data entry. It has changed how I look at study design and is flexible in how you can use it.

What do you dislike?

It can be a bit finicky. If something isn't done perfectly it can get a bit frusterating

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a lot of help, learning it can be tricky

It helps keep everything way more streamline

REDCap review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"User friendly survey tool"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use and the site is user friendly and intuitive in terms of how you would go about creating a survey.

What do you dislike?

There really wasn't anything that I didn't like about it except that at times it was slow. But that could have just been due to my internet connection. I would love to see more features in terms of how I can visualize the results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great alternative to other survey platforms and also a great tool to use for data collection. When I was using it, it was free to academic institutions which was a plus.

I used REDCap to survey research investigators and memebers of IRB offices to gauge what are research needs and support in the community. From the survey results, our team was able to ideate new solutions on how to reduce regulatory barriers in research.

REDCap review by Administrator

"RedCap for data entry "

What do you like best?

RedCap is easy to use to create space for data entry for your research study. I love that it is Secured and web-based. I can Input data from anywhere in the world with secure web authentication.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to navigate if it is your first time use RedCap. The tutorials online are sometimes not helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to understand tutorials with examples

It makes it easy for me to enter research data. I’m able to go back in and correct my mistake.

REDCap review by Jordan G.
Jordan G.

"Really complicated software for not that great of a product"

What do you like best?

REDCap is good because it's secure (e.g. maintains audit trails) and generally easy to use (i.e. you don't necessarily need to be a data wiz to use it).

What do you dislike?

Even though REDCap lets you automate some e-mails, a lot of it needs to be done manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider what your experience in survey software is and what effort you want to put into your data collection software.

N/A

"Redcap Research Review"

What do you like best?

Redcap makes research made simple! Our team has our surveys/interviews pre-loaded into our redcap database so that we can record our answers live while working with the patients. Redcap also makes it extremely easy to generate reports and export the data (multiple formats available).

What do you dislike?

Redcap can take a while to get used to when working behind the scenes.

We use redcap to capture data live in order to eliminate errors that occur when entering the data from paper forms.

REDCap review by Paige R.
Paige R.

"Good for long surveys"

What do you like best?

skip patterns that worked well, lots of ways to answer questions, good for field work.

What do you dislike?

The program ran kind of slow at times, needed to resort to paper version of surveys twice over a few years of field research when something went wrong with redcap. Sometimes the skip patterns got a little 'tangled up' and it did require a bit of a learning curve and training with new employees.

a good way to collect data and anaylze data, it worked well for the most part for collecting data in the field and keeping it secure for future analysis.

REDCap review by Barbora (Baša) Z.
Barbora (Baša) Z.

"RedCap Review"

What do you like best?

Ability to export data is straightforward, organization of the software is user-friendly, ability to structure questionnaires in many different ways, and the option for internal versus external surveys.

What do you dislike?

Could benefit from an updated user interface. No other features of the program that I dislike.

Data collection and data entry for clinical research studies.

REDCap review by Andrew B.
Andrew B.

"Research patient data registries in REDCap"

What do you like best?

REDCap's extensive and robust API interface is my favorite feature. I use it to automatically populate REDCap databases with data from multiple external sources and to sync inventory information stored in REDCap with our team's laboratory information management system.

What do you dislike?

The error messages in the API interface can be cryptic which makes troubleshooting difficult. Our group has also experienced occasional issues where data will not be saved appropriately and values need to be re-entered; these have been quite rare though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would strongly suggest adopting REDCap. The community behind the software is excellent and useful features are frequently being added to the already mature solution.

I use REDCap to automatically create research patient data registries in a healthcare environment. REDCap provides a secure and extensible solution that allows us to safely and efficiently achieve this goal.

REDCap review by Michaela S.
Michaela S.

"RedCap review "

What do you like best?

That it is easy to create new forms and implement specialized questionnaires

What do you dislike?

Hard to edit forms once your project is already in production

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very helpful to be able to collect data for a large sample and export data easily.

Beneficial to be able to send surveys to participants via email

"Easy and efficient"

What do you like best?

The ease of use for both designing the layout of data-capturing instruments, and for inputting actual data. It's also really easy to go through the records and check the data, as well as update the data.

What do you dislike?

Creating reports to visualize and organize the data in different ways is not intuitive. I wish it were a little simpler to do this.

We use REDCap to track information for participants in our research studies. It is an effective and easy-to-teach way to have multiple users entering data.

REDCap review by Melissa R.
Melissa R.

"Redcap is useful "

What do you like best?

I like to notification settings to notify me when someone has completed a survey

What do you dislike?

The organization and interface of redcap make it difficult to navigate.

we use redcap to distribute follow-up surveys via email to gather data

REDCap review by User in Higher Education

"A platform for designing customized surveys for beginners and professionals "

What do you like best?

If you are looking for a user-friendly platform to design your survey with some professional features, REDCap is exactly what you are looking for. The user-friendly environment of the REDCap provides the opportunity to the users with zero programming skill to develop their desired survey. At the same time, if you have some programming skill and you are looking for a customized survey, REDCap will satisfy your needs. REDCap is great for a wide range of users.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, if you are planning to implement some special features, the REDCap community is the only place that you can get help. There is not enough help document for REDCap in their website. What's more, slow speed of the server and broken connections can sometimes bother you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Getting access to REDCap is not as easy as other platforms. You may need to consider the time-consuming process of becoming a REDCap user.

Health economics

REDCap review by User in Higher Education

"REDCap provides a good online database for clinical trials"

What do you like best?

My favorite part about REDCap is the ability to have multiple collaborators working within a single database as well as the ability to personalize it with unique lists for each person who accesses a database. It is perfect for compiling entries from questionnaires from patients or for any other clinical trial information

What do you dislike?

Some of the development of templates is a little clunky. I find it sometimes difficult, not impossible, to create a reusable template that serves the needs I desire.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time to learn about all the tips and tricks REDCap has to offer to really unlock its full potential.

The main application I use REDCap for is the entry of data from patient clinical trial consent forms. I is perfect for inputting data that multiple people can access in a timely manner.

REDCap review by Rachel R.
Rachel R.

"REDCap does everything we need it to"

What do you like best?

REDCap is flexible enough to help us gather information from three rounds of interviews as well as handle data input for a systematic literature review as well. I have had to change the initial data collection instrument, after data has been input, and it has gone pretty smoothly. Moreover, people have come in and out of this project and have been able to learn the system quickly.

What do you dislike?

While REDCap is not difficult to learn, perhaps because it is a more complicated platform than, say, SurveyMonkey, it is less intuitive in terms of doing things are a "step up". Nonetheless, with a little help I have been able to do everything I need to. There is nothing about the program that drives me crazy.

We are using it for academic purposes. We are collecting qualitative data from patients over three periods of time, and using it for the systematic lit review, which will back up our primary research.

REDCap review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"REDCap for Clinical Research"

What do you like best?

Great that it can be used for both longitudinal databases and cross sectional surveys

Simple to build data collection instruments

Easy to enter data and to complete surveys

Useful features such as validation and branching

Easy to export data into various software packages (SPSS, Stata, SAS, R, or just excel)

Secure and HIPAA compliant

What do you dislike?

Need to use another survey software for print surveys, which do not come out well using REDCap. It would be helpful if skip logic could be incorporated.

Additional survey features would be appreciated, such as sliders or heat maps, or more advanced logic that would bring survey participants to certain forms based on previous answers.

Branching logic is helpful, but clunky to use for complex surveys.

It could just be our institution, but customer service could be better. Or there could be better training resources.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for clinical research, and one of the only data collection software approved by our IRB. I would find another software if you need print surveys.

We use redcap to create CRFs for clinical research and quality improvement projects, and to create patient and family satisfaction surveys and employee evaluations. We no longer need programmers to create CRF forms, and can do it quicker and cheaper. It makes modifications much easier as well.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Digital storage and maintenance of data"

What do you like best?

RedCap has a digital app that can be installed onto tablets. Our research lab has installed RedCap onto tablets to collect data in the field. No Wifi is required. Data can be synced later once there is Wifi connection.

What do you dislike?

There's often software updates that impair the use of the RedCap mobile application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get RedCap trained before trying to use it for research purposes. RedCap has a lot of functions and it will take a long time to figure out by trial and error.

Able to collect data in the field and store data online on RedCap. Reduces usage of paper data collection. Enhanced security and confidentiality for research participants.

REDCap review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Good all-around data manager "

What do you like best?

The longitudinal data collection is great for studies that occur over multiple visits. It's also nice to have all the information stored in the cloud to be entered remotely, i.e. at the study site.

What do you dislike?

Creating instruments or designating instruments to specific events is cumbersome. Its proofing methods are as well. Sometimes difficult to navigate to specific records.

Useful in managing subjects' data and information, especially when there are many records and many questionnaires or data collection instruments for each record at any given time point. Helps in proofing and is easily exportable down the line for data analysis.

REDCap review by User in Research
User in Research

"REDCap is a great tool for staying organized"

What do you like best?

REDCap makes managing large projects a lot easier. The best part is the calendar function and the ability to set a schedule for years to come. It's also great that you can create reports to look at your data as you go. It's a great way to stay organized.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything about this product. It took some time to learn, but it was pretty simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give it a try. It's very helpful in terms of keeping everything in one place.

I mostly deal with managing large projects. The benefits are that it keeps me on schedule and it's clear what is coming up next.

REDCap review by Yale K.
Yale K.

"Still a piece in motion. But totally functional. "

What do you like best?

I like that everything is extremely straightforward and easy to understand. Nothing is very fancy. It is basic and code-based with a lot of support available.

What do you dislike?

The appearance. Without a doubt, appearance is not pleasant. It's bare minimum stuff.

Sending out medical questionnaires to people around the globe. This program has a great feature for sending emails to people, mass emails or individual emails, and you can set when they go out and how many times in the future.

REDCap review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Easy to fill out surveys!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can create and send surveys out to all of our study participants and keep track of the data easily.

What do you dislike?

I think it can be convoluted at times - the interface is not as easy to edit or as malleable as I'd like

It helps us keep all of our research participants and their contact information organized.

REDCap review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"REDCap is excellent!"

What do you like best?

REDCap was so easy and intuitive. It really helped start our research project and trial runs for how data would be collected and analyzed.

What do you dislike?

There really wasn't anything that I disliked. Sometimes you had to work with the platform to gauge the desired flow of questions but overall very useful. Especially if this is running in the background of a research project delivery platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For research needs it was invaluable. I would definitely use it as it allows you to build and use surveys and analyze the data very easily.

Government subsidized grant to study diabetes interventions. It stored data from questions accurately and ran in the background of all our research question platforms.

"REDCAP Review"

What do you like best?

I worked with Redcap when I was an analyst at a research lab. I like the fact we could find information about our subjects in one place and track as much research about them in one spot.

What do you dislike?

It was hard to get used to it at first. I would say the learning curve

Tracking patient/subjects for research then we find out we can integrate it with other inhouse systems we had

"Redcap review"

What do you like best?

The fact we can use it on any computer makes everything easier

The survey answers are automatically taken into the analysis of results

What do you dislike?

It is not straight forward sometimes, could be easier

The installation is hard to do without someone who can help you installing it

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is recommended

Doing research and surveys, patients like to use as they just need to click through button with easy survey interface

"Still learning "

What do you like best?

I love how all of your data can be stored completely and securely using one website. There are features that are really useful as well such as surveys or automated emails.

What do you dislike?

NOT easy to use or learn. For data entry, it seems to be pretty straight forward but learning all of the nuances and syntax can be very overwhelming and time consuming.

We use this for data collection and management for multiple research projects.

"RedCap Review"

What do you like best?

I like that you can design the questions however you want and that it exports into a readable format. I also like that it allows you to export with or without PHI. I also like that it tells you which pages on the survey are complete or which are incomplete by placing a little red, yellow or green dot next to the section.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you can't create your own numbering system to categorize entries. Like, if I want to have each participant be listed by their MRN or by a study-assigned number, I have to make that its own field.

Medical research on postpartum depression and postpartum hemorrhage

REDCap review by Kira G.
Kira G.

"Good for database management "

What do you like best?

RedCap is easy to navigate, making it very user friendly

What do you dislike?

Though it is easy to navigate, it is difficult to make adjustments to surveys

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can be used for a multitude of things

Data entry, sending online surveys, exporting data

Learning about REDCap?

* We monitor all REDCap reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
REDCap