Redmine

Learning about Redmine?

Redmine Reviews

Ask Redmine a Question
Showing 155 Redmine reviews
Redmine review by Resmy G.
Resmy G.

"Redmine - Best web application for project management"

What do you like best?

First of all its open source and its easy to manage as well as configure enormous plug ins on need basis. I would also say that it gives an upper hand to developers in easily tracking tickets and manage them in a controlled way. Community support is also an added benefit based on experience.

What do you dislike?

As every tool has its own Pros and cons, few to list is that the interface seems easier but need a training for usage and also gets expensive as we move to premium versions of the tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this product if you are having a project which is required to be properly managed. The initial training would help the developers too to use them without hustle and the community support for any kind of clarifications definitely is a added benefit.

This is the backbone of our application as we are developing ecommerce application. As the usage is real time and large number of users consume it. So immediate resolution to tickets and manage them is critical which is done through this tool and seems to save lot of time for us.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Redmine
Redmine review by Ian C.
Ian C.

"Excellent, low-cost project and ticket management"

What do you like best?

Redmine offers many features for the cost and is extremely stable. It's designed well for management of small to medium size projects. With the right technical expertise, it can accomplish a lot for you. We've used it for more than five years. We used it in the role of service desk support as well. It integrated seemlessly with our organizational LDAP authentication system. Setting up the creation of tickets, and commenting, via email was pretty straightforward. Two other departments in addition to our technical group, have been using it as well. Those were both customer service groups and they were able to adapt to it with only a few hours of training. Customizing ticket statuses and workflow is simple and easy-to-use. As our group and scope of work have grown, we are now transitioning to JIRA.

What do you dislike?

No so much of a dislike but it base design isn't as flexible as commercial tools. The UI/UA design is easy-to-use and simple but not easily manipulated out-of-the-box. Setup of Ruby and Rails requires expertise in that environment. It's not as flexible for use as a Support Desk application. The administrative interface is not as refined and does not offer as much functionality as some other tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Redmine requires knowledge of Linux and Ruby on Rails amongst your DevOps team. I would carefully consider your project management and service desk requirements. It works best in the former role.

We needed track tickets for both our application dev projects and support desk. Redmine has worked well over the last five years.

What Project Management solution do you use?

Redmine review by Anthony M.
Anthony M.

"Great Issue Tracking"

What do you like best?

Redmine (Bitnami stack of Redmine) is extremely easy to install (although upgrades are not at all as easy), has loads of free plugins to provide tons of free features and capabilities, fairly easy to customize, and has served us rather well these past 2 years tracking bugs, features requests, retaining easily searchable knowledge base information (so much better than our SharePoint server).

What do you dislike?

As of my last search, there is no way to upgrade nearly as easily as it is to perform the original Bitnami Redmine install. As this is not my main function (and we have no one dedicated to this), finding time to develop and validate a process to upgrade as well as then performing the upgrade is hard to justify when standard product development is a priority.

Bug, feature, and task tracking against projects and targeted release points

Redmine review by Junxiao S.
Junxiao S.

"Issue tracking for free"

What do you like best?

Redmine is a free webapp for issue tracking. It has many features but you have to define how your organization is going to use it.

What do you dislike?

Redmine’s privilege model is too coarse grained: if you are a “developer” of a project, you can’t reject or abandon an issue.

“Precedes” and “Follows” issue relations always cause a mess in dates. We end up not using these relations, and not using dates in general.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You need to define how your organization is going to use Redmine. For example, what issue qualifies as a “Task” vs a “Feature”? Does an issue go into “In Progress” state during design stage, or only after coding starts? What status to use during code review (we created a dedicated “Code Review” status)?

We use Redmine to assign software development tasks.

Redmine review by Marissa M.
Marissa M.

"Great Experience Using This Product"

What do you like best?

Projects can be organized and easily tracked and found in Redmine. You can review past projects and tickets and team contributors on tickets that have already been completed and closed out, which allows you to have a solid reference for your current project. All projects live in one system and it's pretty easy to search for and find tickets using various criteria. This product helps keep teams of all sizes on track and it's features allow for easier project planning and management.

What do you dislike?

At times it can be difficult to find older, closed tickets if you do not have enough of the search criteria available. I try to save tickets numbers so I can easily search by entering this information opposed to keywords or project titles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give this product a shot if you have groups working on large projects, events, etc.

We use Redmine to project plan events of all sizes as well as any marketing requests or project requests at the company. When everything lives in Redmine, it's much easier for teams to accomplish tasks.

Redmine review by Katherine G.
Katherine G.

"Sufficient issue tracking tool"

What do you like best?

I like that by assigning an issue to a colleague it prompts them to move forward with their task, and I am only prompted when the issue is assigned back to me. As a user I mostly go to "My Page" - it allows me to easily access previous tickets that I created and shows tickets that are assigned to me at a glance. The tool organizes issues by projects, so we are able to track website issues separately from marketing reviews etc. The "watcher" feature enables a colleague to receive updates on a project where they need to be in the loop.

What do you dislike?

The design of the website isn't very engaging, and neither are the emails. If there was a more engaging tool that had all the same capabilities I would probably opt for that over Redmine.

We are tracking issues from start to completion that span across departments.

Redmine review by Dawn M.
Dawn M.

"Redmine Review - Software Bug Tracking"

What do you like best?

The automatic alerts to followers of each bug. It really helps improve communication within the team. Until doing this review, I honestly didn't know about the project tracking/budgeting aspects, so I'm very interested to look into those! My company uses it primarily for Software Bugs now. Having a single place to track all of the bug details has been HUGE for our team.

What do you dislike?

I wish the tables were more user-friendly, I find it challenging to set them all up the way I want to see them. As I type this, I do realize that this is more my problem than the software. I haven't taken the time to research how to do the customization, I've kind of been clicking around to learn. As the Project Manager and Administer of our team site, I need to do that. Maybe I don't have anything I dislike after all, once I take care of that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an awesome tool once you learn how to use it. I haven't seen anything out there that works this well for software bug tracking/resolution.

We currently use Redmine to log, track, and resolve software bugs. It's been instrumental in completing the development phase of our design and build projects. By using Redmine, we've had clear communication between developers, users, management, etc to provide a single source for all information. Having a single source of truth for ongoing issues is KEY in projects where accountability is important. This tool is awesome for that.

Redmine review by Prithwi Raj B.
Prithwi Raj B.

"A great product with lot of customizing options."

What do you like best?

Flexibility and a lot of plugins available to integrate with the third party tools. It is user friendly and quickly adaptable. This application requires a very small hardware resource to host even for a large project management. I also love wiki feature a lot. Wiki can be managed project wise or sub project wise which is awesome. User management is very easy. User grouping also very easy and you can give permission to specific features very easily to a group. Works nice in multi time-zone. Very easily you can add new themes and switch among them. There is a facility create public projects and private projects. Notification for task update works very nice. You can also manage notifications by user.

What do you dislike?

No built-in Milestone feature. There is a plugin available but not that good. Raw installation is a bit hard. Also the installation guide is not good enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

So far I find that it is the best choice for an open source project management web application. I highly recommend it if anyone need to manage any size project. You can also manage multiple project with this very easily.

It is awesome to manage our projects. You can also use it as bug tracking. Easily possible to manage multiple projects and sub-projects. I manage two mobile app project and their backend api project. The news publishing is very interesting and useful. Project and sub-project wise wiki is very useful.

Redmine review by Mandi S.
Mandi S.

"Great for Tech, Not great for Project Management outside of technology"

What do you like best?

Simple and not too complicated. We like that we can change it to fit our needs

What do you dislike?

It works really well for tech teams but not great for operations style tasks that are recurring

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure it will work for you team's purpose and goals. Have to have buy in from the entire team in order for the system to work as it should. Everyone has to put their tasks inside in order to properly track peoples time. It will also work best if the entire company is utilizing at least some of the features in order to have complete buy in - there will be some push back as this software is best used to tech and doesn't have a lot of great attributes that would be useful for operations staff that repeats similar tasks on an ongoing basis. Works better if you have a specific project that can be broken up into tasks and the story can be closed in a 'sprint' like fashion for each release. For teams that don't have 'releases' tasks and projects can seem to go on indefinitely for recurring tasks. Highly recommended for teams that utilize Agile project management for their take teams.

Project tracking and longer term goals for departments and teams. Pairs well with Apollo in order to see how teams are utilizing their time. Helps to create unity across teams by allowing us to send work requests through redmind.

Redmine review by Gabriel K.
Gabriel K.

"Redmine as internal tracking issue system and wiki"

What do you like best?

We used redmine to track internal issues and keep up to date the to do list. Also used as wiki, important documents storage and projects follow up.

Customization is very easy and friendly interfaces for each user. Also administration is too easy for this software. Even if you need to query the data base, it's easy too.

Software administration is excellent when you have to give user level access.

What do you dislike?

Some search features takes too long and needs to be tuned up to make a good search system. Besides this, I don't have more complains.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good system to track internal issues. Very good internal Wiki and storage system. Also it's very good for administrators giving user level access.

Internal tracking issues, wiki and important documents storage.

Redmine review by Li Z.
Li Z.

"Easy to use multi-purpose management"

What do you like best?

simplified clean UI, easy to search projects

What do you dislike?

not very easy to customize, API is available, but turns out needs too much efforts to implement, so choose to use existing features it provides

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to manage

We use redmine internally for our support team, development team and product management team. Support team to use it manage customer's tickets, assign tickets to a support staff, record all internal follow-up activities, if a bug is reported to dev team, then the related dev team will be assigned, you can see the status of the bug fixing process. Product managemet team use it to manage feature request from customers, you can view real-time status of a feature like which version it's planned to be available, which team is working on it etc.

Redmine review by Nhi L.
Nhi L.

"Redmine - great tool for project management"

What do you like best?

Redmine's a project management tool. It has been used for most of projects of my company. It is an open source and free tool. you can customize for what you need. There are many plugins available on the internet. It offers a friendly interface. You can integrate Redmine with Slack to notify new bugs and features

What do you dislike?

Redmine is a pure bug tracking system so the feature management system is limited. You need skills of installing and updating Redmine. It lacks of visual functions for users to have general view.

Recommendations to others considering the product

there should be a supervisor to introduce to beginners

Redmine better works in a small team

At present I make advantage of Redmine to manage projects in the company.

This tool can help project manager assign work to developers and can notify bugs for the developers from QA,QC

Redmine review by Kev B.
Kev B.

"Decent Ticket Tracking"

What do you like best?

The interface is fairly clean and simple while also providing a lot of functionality. Responsive UI for mobile.

What do you dislike?

A lot of fields that might be overkill for smaller issues don't need to be visible and can cause clutter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's decent ticket tracking and will likely meet your needs. The low cost is great so long as you have the manpower to support it.

We use redmine for issue tracking. While a lot of the functionality presented is overkill for our needs, I'm glad it's there, with the exception of when it adds to visual clutter. I'm glad that it emails updates to tickets as I don't check the system daily and still get updates when required.

Redmine review by Randi J.
Randi J.

"Easy to use and Detailed"

What do you like best?

I like how detailed the issue document can be with its ability to set a priority, the issue's status, who it is assigned to, estimated time, percentage complete, as well as added individual as "watchers" to oversee that the issues gets accomplished. I also like the ability to see the tasks and issues laid out on a monthly calendar to give a better perspective of needs to be done.

What do you dislike?

One thing I feel that is missing from Redmine, which I believe hurts it, is a discussion or forum board where members working on a particular project can post up general progress updates or ask general/broad questions to the whole group so that everyone can participate in the conversation. I suppose another thing I dislike about Redmine is that though I do like all the various options, I do feel that there are too many options and if they are not uniformly used by all individuals working on the project, it makes it a difficult to follow the progress.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend Redmine for those looking for a project management web application is allows to be very particular and specific with individual tasks and issues in projects.

We mostly use Redmine as a way to track projects and to post up issues that occur through the process. So I would say that Redmine has been vert beneficial in tracking the progress of a project as a whole as well as on a very specific task level as it gives you the option to get down to that level by updating issues by added the percentage currently completed or added in comments to the issues.

Redmine review by Executive Sponsor in Management Consulting
Executive Sponsor in Management Consulting

"Redmine - simple and effective"

What do you like best?

This is a pretty simple to use project issue tracking tool with built in wiki functionality. Throw in some free plugins you have it customized for Agile /Scrum/ Kanban. You can take the effort out of installing it by using one of bitnami instances - head to bitnami.com to download

What do you dislike?

This thing is built on ruby. So, installing plugins is a hit or miss -if the ruby version/ dependencies are not met. Sometimes this can bring down the entire instance

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stick with the original, not any of the forks. Be careful of the plugins. The plugins can bring down the entire site

We ran our entire business with it. - serving multiple clients and the product development. Clients used the external URL/ projects and development team used a different project on the same instance. You could like client issues/ requests with development work items and that way track the issue progress

Redmine review by Joe H.
Joe H.

"Great tool for bug tracking."

What do you like best?

Seamless integration with our subversion client to track bugs and revisions. More specifically, we track all projects in an agile manner and require close integration with our code-base versioning. Redmine allows us to pair incoming bug and/or feature requests with actual code changes submitted by the devs working on it. We can then leverage Redmine's time tracking abilities to create burn down charts for scrum session management.

What do you dislike?

Formatting of code snippets leaves a lot to be desired.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those looking at a simple solution that gets the job done, Redmine is hard to ignore. The flexibility of the software allows it to be molded into whatever project management needs you may have. While we use it for managing software projects, features, and bugs, it can easily be used for any task that requires organized tracking and management. Additionally, the software has bee rock solid even as we let it get a bit out of date. Updates though, are easy to apply and from what we can tell have yet to compromise stability.

We develop software-as-a-service solutions and use redmine to track bug and feature request. See the above comment on subversion integration and time tracking.

Redmine review by User

"Great for Software and Mechanical Development"

What do you like best?

Anyone can assign tickets to other people, so all of our issues can be tracked by everyone, and the status of our products are always readily known. This increases our productivity as there is less down time and confusion about what product is ready or not.

What do you dislike?

So far nothing. We've only recently started using Redmine, but it's been great from the user side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Redmine has been great for us so far. You can customize your issues, who they can be assigned to, what fields you want to have be required, etc. We use it for ordering (statuses can be RFQ, Quoted, Shipped, Received, whatever you want), for product repair, for bugs, for feature requests, and more. It's highly customizable.

We use Redmine to track our prototypes and software development. Previously, we had a lot of downtime and confusion about which prototype was functional, or who was responsible for what, but now anyone can assign a task to somebody else, check up on the status of their issue, and follow the progress of our prototypes so that we are always ready to test our prototypes as soon as they're ready.

Redmine review by Nguyen T.
Nguyen T.

"A supportive tool for PM"

What do you like best?

I have a team working online and we usually work from distances , thanks to Redmine work can be divided for members

It automatically notify to assignees

It is likely to integrate with third-party software in order to notify new bugs or features

It is free and open-source software

What do you dislike?

There are not many plugins for Redmine

If there are bigger projects, the management of tags become more difficult

It's interfafce somtimes cause boring for users

Recommendations to others considering the product

We would like to recommend the two plugins for Redmine that are Issue and Wiki

You should host Redmine for private server of your company for better performance

I use Redmine for most of projects of my company

Redmine helps me track bugs, perform time management and manage projects

Redmine review by Kosta B.
Kosta B.

"Best Ticket Tracking tool I've used."

What do you like best?

At my company, we use Redmine for tracking our tickets. Everything we do goes through Redmine. Every app build release ticket, every QA ticket.. It's all there, categorized and sorted the way we want it. What I personally like the best is the ease of access, very easy to learn and super user friendly. I love that I receive every ticket update on my email, and I can access them from every device I want to.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I, as a worker, have no option to see check if I have left a comment on ticket I've entered hours on without going through all projects one at a time. Since we use Redmine to track our spent/working hours in, we have to leave comment for every time spent on specific ticket. Now, I can't say for sure if that option is disabled for our specific role, but I currently cannot get a log of all hours I've entered + comments on those hours other way than to go to that specific project and search for time entries for specific dates. I work at multiple projects per week, so it would be really handy if we had an option to list all entered hours across all projects... Again, I'm not an admin/project manager, so I don't know if we cannot access it because of restrictions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm working on/with Redmine for over 5 years. I've never researched any alternatives, but I never felt a need to. It's just that good.

Well, main benefits are tickets and related tickets. For example, our developer posts a build on a release ticket. We then cross reference that release ticket with set of QA tickets (which are related) and then close them one by one. So we have a full release, with solved bugs for that specific version ready to be released to store. I find that awesomely helpful.

Redmine review by Ken C.
Ken C.

"Custom Kanban would be a great enhance for Redmine"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. Free and deployable on our own. Because of the special network environment in China, it's quite slow to access many product in outside-china environment.

What do you dislike?

Dashboard kanban board can only be used by its internal status. I would be great if it can be defined and used by the custom field. And because the status field is not per project and system wide, so it's not easy for different project to experiment new process.

We are using redmine to keep track of the operation issues and communication issues between customer and our sales team, between sales/ops team and our development team. It help standardized the process and keep track of things without missing any.

Redmine review by Josh F.
Josh F.

"Used Redmine for years - great for what we need"

What do you like best?

Redmine is a very strong tool for managing technical projects. The fact that it's open source and free is a major benefit, but unlike some free open source applications, it's very robust and full of great features.

What do you dislike?

I've found that new team members are not fond of the user interface and the experience of working with Redmine. It doesn't have the flashiness of some newer PM tools, but it does a good job. It takes awhile for new team members to make Redmine a "habit" and get accustomed to working in it throughout the day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have technical minded people on your team that will be committed to using Redmine on a regular basis you will likely have success. However, if you're team is mainly focused on business management or marketing, your team will likely not approve of the interface and the UX. It's not "flashy" enough for non-tech people.

Managing large customer projects. Managing product development. Very strong for pulling reports, and seeing how much time/effort has been applied to not only projects, but to specific features. The reporting tool is quite strong in my opinion.

Redmine review by Manuel L.
Manuel L.

"Feature rich but UI not intuitive"

What do you like best?

IT is a complete project management tool, modular, very rich in features.

Can be integrated with user directory services to differentiate user privileges and with source repositories to link to your code

What do you dislike?

The UI is not intuitive and in general "stiff" to use

Most project management features/modules follow the classic waterfall/GANTT (read: Microsoft Project) approach which requires a lot of data entry and is not very applicable to SW development projects - we ended up never using them

Recommendations to others considering the product

Define your internal process first, then choose the tool that best fit it.

Do not choose based solely on the amount of features provided

The only modules we use are the Wiki and Issues.

We use the Wiki to track internal project documentation, design choices, investigation on new features that we decide not to implement (so we have a place to take note of the reasons we decided not to)

We use the Issue tracker for bugs/improvements etc

Redmine review by Pritesh R.
Pritesh R.

"Best tool for Defects Tracking and Project management"

What do you like best?

It provides the support for tracking the buggs/defects.

For each user it is independent, individual user has to register in order to get the details about the bugg.

It provides the support for multiple project management and files as Redmine tightly integrates with GIT so user can get the details about the project with the given URLs.

It is very easy to use as it provides the details for each project with hyperlinks.

You can create wikis for documentation, managed customer support tickets, share files and even create internal blogs and forums

What do you dislike?

It is a bit slow, While creating a project it takes some time as compared to the other project management tool.

Easy way to access your project Documents such as Design Documents,Architectural documents,Workflows, User has to clicks the corresponding document link in order to access the document.

Brief Description about the Defect such as defect Id, description , author ,date and time of the defect, etc

Redmine review by Chris K.
Chris K.

"The right tool for the job"

What do you like best?

The fact that it is open source and free. It is constantly being updated and bug fixed. There is plenty of support online for this very mature product.

What do you dislike?

Interface is starting to feel a little bit dated. Lacks integration for some newer software. Can't really use it directly with Office 365.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't know that there is another direct competitor to this product. Commercially yes, but not open source and free. If I were looking for a helpdesk solution or for project tracking I would put this high on my list.

Helpdesk and project tracking. Cut's down on cost to maintain a small business and still have reliable service to our internal customers.

Redmine review by Igor P.
Igor P.

"Redmine - Project management"

What do you like best?

Redmine is endlessly configurable and has a pretty wealth base of various plugins that makes everyday work a lot easier (DMSF, MS Project Import, Time check...). It is very functional in small & mid size enterprises, while it could be used even in the large scale.

What do you dislike?

Gantt chart functionality. It would be great that we have drag 'n' drop functionality with gantt chart, better resolved task links (FS, SS, FF, SF) and sometimes the User Inetrface is too bloated with all kinds of information... Maybe tabs or sliders could be better solution ?!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly flexible project management tool. It is a bit tricky to install Redmine for the first time, but once procedure is taylored and done for your environment it is quite easy to upgrade and make backups automatically.

Project management. Task tracking, documentation, corporate wiki, knowledge base, public whiteboard.

Redmine review by Tathagat V.
Tathagat V.

"Highly customizable...but comes at a cost!"

What do you like best?

Apart from being free, Redmine is highly customizable, and can be used to adapt to almost any kind of workflow inside an agile framework. So, if one has no real adaptations to take care of, it is a great solution. Also, if one needs to have multiple implementations with specific adaptations, they can consider Redmine for achieving the right workflow.

What do you dislike?

While the customization is a great feature, it does come at a cost! In our case, we had to not only do a big amount of handholding by subject-matter experts in building and achieving the right workflow, we had 2-3 engineers who were working on writing the required code and scripts to achieve it. So, unless you really have significant workflow adaptations at sufficient scale, it might not be a great idea to adopt Redmine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't simple look at the cost of acquisition or the flexibility if implementation alone. Consider the total cost of ownership of the entire solution when evaluating all the options.

We were using it for implementing agile development principles, and specifically scrum framework inside our product development and engineering work. It allowed us not only implement a tool for agile product management and product development, but more importantly, adapt to our specific organizational requirements of process workflow and organization roles and structure.

Redmine review by C. Mel A.
C. Mel A.

"Redmine Project Tracker: making a mountain out of a mole hill"

What do you like best?

So many fidgety bits. Dozens and dozens of options and functions and settings and permissions...I have yet to find something that it can NOT do...with enough research or with the open source build ons.

What do you dislike?

So many fidgety bits. With so many options, the UI is overly complex and can be confusing for the back end administrators.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don’t go overboard with customizations. Keep the data on your own private dedicated server. These two elements (too many customizations, sharing servers) make it difficult to upgrade to newer versions. And there are so many little bugs and UI issues that need fixing over time that newer versions are a must.

Time tracking, project scheduling, resource analytics, and all standard ticket tracking.

Redmine review by Friedrich M.
Friedrich M.

"Quick ticket tool"

What do you like best?

Its pretty fast to create a ticket and assign a person / project to it. Tickets do have all the settings you need, like a status / priority / due date and more. I like best that tickets or changes that have been written can not be undone completely - you are able to keep track of everything.

What do you dislike?

Handling attachments to a ticket can be a pain. For instance redmine needs a better preview function for screenshots / pictures.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can google for a trick to use an animated gif as your avatar. Other than that I recommend Redmine for business usage.

Well we use Redmine as our main ticket system. You can keep track of the time you are working on a project, as well as the status and milestones.

Redmine review by Robert C.
Robert C.

"Almost Zero Maintenance"

What do you like best?

We installed Redmine years ago and continue to use it every work day.

1. It's fast. The pages load immediately and this performance has not changed a bit year after year.

2. It just works. If you've ever managed a WordPress site, you'll know about the constant stream of security patches and updates. Redmine isn't that way. Yes, there are new versions available, but if it's running behind your firewall and you are happy with the current feature-set, then you have little reason to install them.

What do you dislike?

Most of the plugins for Redmine aren't worth your time, and according to co-workers, they were a real pain to install and try out. This may have changed since 2014.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If I were to install Redmine today, I'd seriously consider the Docker container: https://hub.docker.com/_/redmine/

Redmine has helped us track tasks and manage projects. JIRA has a better feature set for these activities, but JIRA gets more and more expensive as your team grows.

Redmine review by Pankaj P.
Pankaj P.

"The best Open Source Software for the most efficient Project Management"

What do you like best?

Redmine has been very flexible tool with many of the advantages:

1. It supports multiple projects along with different access control for account user hierarchy

2. It's integration with SVN, CVS & Darcs etc. make it more handy.

3. Different mode of notifications keep each stakeholders about every single update in code or support tickets

What do you dislike?

1. Despite the pros it provides, Redmine seems complex for SMEs as it has many features which ain't much required

2. Due to lot of plug-ins available & enormous feature list, the ease-to-use is not great for initial time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Open Source Software have been great tool so far for the cost effective project management. It is definitely a excellent tool for SMEs and start-ups.

Being a B2B company in technology industry, we are not only in developing IT tools but providing ongoing support to our customers. We are using for project management as well as account supports. It is helping our teams to keep a proper track of code developments, changes and meeting SLAs with customers in terms of resolving their issues/bugs.

Redmine review by Anil G K.
Anil G K.

"Good open-source software for project management"

What do you like best?

Redmine is easy to set-up and use. It has lot of plug-ins available and the community is active enough. You can create as many projects as you want, integrate it with version controls, jenkins etc. Different user level, custom fields for tickets & user groups are very useful features. Redmine is ruby on rails app and its VM images are also available from bitnami which helps to finish the set-up in minutes. I have also written custom plugins specific for our project in PHP by directly querying Redmine mysql database.

What do you dislike?

Redmine is not very good when you have too much hierarchy of projects or tasks. As the tree gets bigger it gets difficult to track and manage. The UI is not dynamic/ajax based. You may have to spend some time on customization and custom fields to the environment to match your project requirement. Large upgrades are not very easy. Some plugins you installed on a version can cause issues or not work in a upgraded version. Plugin installation require backend access, cant be done from UI

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend considering Redmine, but it is worth spending some time for evaluation of your specific needs with the tool before publishing it for all users. Especially try with nesting projects/tickets and familiarize withs its behaviour.

Easy to use for project management. Plugins are available specifically for agile which helps in sprint planning, progress etc. Open-source and free. Lot of plugins are available.

Redmine review by Marie G.
Marie G.

"Precious tool for developpement teams and "

What do you like best?

Once the workflow is built, each user can easily have access to the dveloppements in progress and find info.

What do you dislike?

The Workflow has to be clearly indentify, the roles have to be identify in details.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A referent should be name, if you have a quality team one of its member could be the good person.

Thanks to Redmine we can report bugs, evreyone has access to the info and can see what is the status a feature.

Redmine review by Valdir S.
Valdir S.

"JIRA like project management and bug tracker"

What do you like best?

The ability to configure almost every aspect and workflow for each tracker and project.

Subprojects and subtasks are very good also.

What do you dislike?

The gantt and the date based relationship for preceding and following tasks. A time based gantt would be better for small tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The time tracking for subtasks plus parent tasks are very useful for time management on each version.

I'm managing projects, subprojects, tasks, subtasks and using versions like sprints for task distribution and management.

Redmine review by Yaniv R.
Yaniv R.

"Redmine - a Free, flexible, Ruby based solution for SMBs... "

What do you like best?

The flexibility, Redmine is one of the best project management tools I've used that enabled me to do pretty much everything I wanted. If an integration I was looking for didn't exist out of the box, I could usually find a plug-in and install it to make it work. It's open source, so as a ROR developer I could develop my own plug-ins if needed (I didn't really need that).

What do you dislike?

The same flexibility requires somewhat of a lengthy configuration process. I believe this "issue" exists in pretty much all comprehensive Project management solutions. That being said, it is pretty straight forward, and I didn't find the configuration process overly complex or complicated. I didn't use the hosted solution, so I hosted it for myself on Heroku.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take into account that this is an open source product and might not be supported in the future. Right now it is widely supported and new releases and updates are being issues constantly.

I used this solution when I worked on my own company. This enabled me to have a comprehensive, reliable, and flexible solution while not having to spend money (Which I didn't have). This enabled me to check up on my team members and staff and work with them remotely and effectively. I worked and work a lot with Jira, and the benefits are similar, and still I've found RedMine if configured correctly to be a better solution than Jira in my opinion. I still use this for personal

Redmine review by Isaque F.
Isaque F.

"Good software for project management "

What do you like best?

I like the easy way to log hours into each task and how we can organize the tasks, projects and clients.

What do you dislike?

It lacks some features, like the possibility of marking fellow workers using their username like in other softwares

Recommendations to others considering the product

Low cost and easy to use.

A good choice for some scenarios.

Its a software worth to try at least

Accountability and organization. Redmine allow us to know how many hours per worker were spent, making easier to control both work and what to charge clients

Redmine review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Just OK - Not as flexible as SharePoint or others."

What do you like best?

One good thing about Redmine is that it is fairly easy to use. It has few features, so it is straightforward and does not require much, if any, training. I was not involved in the initial set up, but I believe that is simple as well. I am an administrator, and administration is very easy and straightforward.

What do you dislike?

Interface is not the prettiest. Document sharing features are cumbersome. Issue tracker works OK. No calendar feature. Calendar lists only issues and cannot be modified. Customizations and extensions require skilled programmers whereas SharePoint can be easily customized using InfoPath.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simple and quick setup and use. However, consider whether it meets all of your needs as customization could become costly.

I mostly use this for issue tracking by project. SharePoint is a much better document repository if you have it. I do not, so I also use Redmine for that, though I would not recommend it if you have other options. It's just not as quick to upload a document and the document repository interface is not as nice or as user-friendly as other applications I've seen.

Benefits of Redmine issue tracking are that it is quick and easy to set up, administer, and use. It is also configurable with the ability to quickly add new fields and trackers without customization or additional cost.

Redmine review by Stanislav B.
Stanislav B.

"Redmine is so flexible and nice"

What do you like best?

I use Redmine for a long time already and it solves almost all problems. Because it's ruby and free you can host it everywhere with low cost and customize for your needs. There are a lot of plugins available for Redmine on github and it's pretty easy to create your own. It's fast and clean, easy to understand and use. GUI is clean and light, without unnecessary javascript. Somebody can decide that this is oldschool but this exactly what makes it widely available.

What do you dislike?

At the moment weakness is agile workflow. There are several plugins available for it but there isn't gold one.

Because of product nature and Open Source that's okay but it always good to use latest features in project management. Another weakness is mobile version - there are no good application available to work with your Redmine instance and it's not responsive out of box :(

Recommendations to others considering the product

Redmine is great to host on your own server and customize in all ways for your needs.

Project Management, Time Management, HelpDesk workflow support, Reporting.

Benefits: When you need solve you particular problem, let's say this is Invoicing for example, just search it in github.com for "redmine invoicing" and there is pretty good chance that you will solve it with first plugin appear in search results.

Redmine review by Administrator

"A tracking that would like to be more"

What do you like best?

The management of the tasks is certainly the core of the instrument and it does it very well. The ACL is very well manageable as also the personal customization of the profile especially to filter communications. The supporting features of the forum and the wiki pages can be useful for project management.

What do you dislike?

The user experience and appearance is far behind other tools of the same category, as well as the standard methodology of project task management, this cause a learning curve of the instrument not immediate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The first impact can be boring, with time it becomes enjoyable. Recommended for not too big companies (medium and small companies). The plugin marketplace is quite varied but the selection of the most suitable add ons may take longer than expected, if you want to gradually insert the tool into your own reality, this implication may be acceptable. However, the tool is very widespread and there is no lack of discussions on how to find the most suitable tool for your needs.

The self-hosted version may be safer, however it requires a well-placed server (which has a cost) to have acceptable performance.

Management and visibility of internal planning tasks.

Redmine review by Juan P.
Juan P.

"Potente, pero visualmente poco practico"

What do you like best?

Tiene todo lo que necesitas para organizar el trabajo del equipo, desde un gestor de tareas hasta un gestor documental.

What do you dislike?

Para mi gusto, requiere de demasiada configuración para sacarle algo de jugo y si el proyecto no es muy grande o el equipo no es muy numeroso, es algo innecesario.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si el proyecto es grande o el equipo números es muy buena opción si usáis la metodología Kanban.

Para proyectos o equipos pequeños no merece mucho la pena.

Con Redmain gestionamos y priorizamos las tareas que realiza el equipo, así como almacenamos documentación relativa a los proyectos.

Redmine review by Marcello P.
Marcello P.

"Flexible!"

What do you like best?

Redmine is the free tool every project manager wants to adopt, because of its flexibility.

We all know that when it comes to watching variables and the big picture of the team, each professional has its own way to follow and Redmine fits there.

It's also amazing that Redmine has a big community and amount of plugins to customize it even more.

What do you dislike?

Because Redmine has so many features, sometimes it can be annoying not to have a clean user interface.

The tool also lacks of native KPI dashboards and more visual features. Also, a new Interface revamp would improve the user experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always look for their website for help, in case you need. There's a very helpful community there ready to give you the answer you're looking for.

Redmine has been our Projects Management tool for 6 years and we went through two successful Certification Processes during this time.

The tool was perfect for the job, but it does not only meet the Certification requirements, but also was fully adopted by our team and it's definitely incorporated into our company.

Redmine review by Maurizio M.
Maurizio M.

"It works, for a lot of things"

What do you like best?

We use redmine since 2009 (if i remember well). We are 30 between developers, dev/ops, database administrators and the graphic team. Moreover, 5 project managers, 4 tester etc..etc..and something like 20 help-desk guys. Well, Redmine simply works, from the issue for a bug to the project with related issues of new developments, tracking developers work and so on. It's really easy to use and it's intuitive to get a look on what we've to do, and so on.

What do you dislike?

Really nothing, everything it's ok. Only - really not important - it would be the best with better graphics, but the product it's really ok. Ah...they should improve the gantt visualization and management. It's a little bit (for me) old-style.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful giving rights and so on. Check administration page and take a look to projects/groups, roles and permission.

We use redmine for the chain that goes from development to test and then production and then bug tracking and so on. The help desk team (1st or 2nd level) can open issue to the development or dev/ops team and so it's easy to track the bug. Project manager can easily assign task and issue to developers

Redmine review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Basic tool that is essentiel for projects"

What do you like best?

Essentiel tool for follow, resolve bugs and to make projets improvement. You can assign tickets to specific people and add followers. Everyone can receive alerts when someone makes a modification.

Project manager can prioritise projects they work on and also add a closing date.

You also can communicate within tickets which is very easy to follow the evolution of different projets and to have the history of information exchanges.

Besides, you can customize the tool.

What do you dislike?

Redmine is not really use friendly.

You can find all your old tickets, but it's not really easy to find.

I used everyday Redmine to ask evolutions and to resolve bugs.

Redmine review by Dushan N.
Dushan N.

"Stable, plugin-rich, open-source solution that you can self-host. Can't ask for more."

What do you like best?

Stability and the fact you can self-host the platform, not just because of the cost, but because of security (hiding it behind a VPN and all that good stuff). Having bunch of plugins doesn't hurt.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it gets too granular, but to this date we haven't found a thing which we couldn't tweak or add/remove, and adapt Redmine to our needs.

Project management in a software company. Daily tasks, on a company and sub-project level.

Redmine review by Internal Consultant in E-Learning
Internal Consultant in E-Learning

"Good Project management tool"

What do you like best?

We have used this tool for our project,We have mainly used this for issues tracking our testers will test the app and added the issues in this tool assign to the developers.Whenever we login to the redmine we will see the list of issues and we can update the status of the issues.After status is resolved testers will again test the issue if it is fine then closed that issue.

What do you dislike?

All are coming in only in one list,like we have issue types enhancements,suggestions those all are coming only one list we need separate list based on issue type.

Right now we have working on client project,Previously we have maintained many excel sheets for issues and work items,right now we are using this tool so we are not using any excel sheets just we are added the issues and work items in this tool.

Redmine review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great for project management! "

What do you like best?

Redmine has been a staple in our organization for the past 4 years. I like its flexibility to support different departmental needs. The interface is easy to use, easy to understand, and it is very agreeable to charting progress across departments.

What do you dislike?

This isn't so much a dislike, but more of an observation: I find the interface to be very uninspiring. But this bears no weight on function or viability. It's a great product!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's important to standardize how issues/requests need to be logged to minimize frequent updates to the ticket. Establish a basic standard of practice can ensure that Redmine is used to its fullest capabilities. I also recommend managing how you receive notifications - email, desktop notifications, or browser - and it will ensure you're not overwhelmed when your ticket gets updated.

Redmine has streamlined how we manage internal work flow - from marketing to IT needs. It's a great way for us to submit requests for support and keep an eye on the progress (without a million email chains going through our inboxes). It bodes well for transparency and time management.

Redmine review by Kyle H.
Kyle H.

"An adequate task/project management software"

What do you like best?

It does tracking of tasks and goals fairly well, with a consistent wiki-like user interface. It has pretty good task management and a decent dashboard of projects but is more centered around development than anything else.

What do you dislike?

It takes a lot of clicks to look at your own tasks and fully see the big picture of a project. Doesn't always work for all projects - seems to be centered mostly around development and programming rather than actual project management.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works pretty well, doesn't always have the feature set of paid offerings.

We use this mostly as a development and bug tracking dashboard, along with feature tracking and implementation.

Redmine review by Cody C.
Cody C.

"Easy to keep projects organized."

What do you like best?

I like that I know who is currently working on each aspect of the projects in Redmine.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the text editor doesn't allow me to bold or underline words very easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use it!

I am able to give my clients access to the projects we're executing for them, dramatically reducing the number of emails we receive with change requests.

Redmine review by Kimberly M.
Kimberly M.

"Great for Tracking Projects"

What do you like best?

Good way for a team to track their projects, which allows everyone to know the latest status without personally emailing all updates.

What do you dislike?

Interface could be more attractive. Assignee field should be improved as you can only have one, when many times there are multiple people working on the project at the same time, or one after the other.

Recommendations to others considering the product

highly recommend for project tracking. also useful for historical purposes and notification purposes.

Project management/tracking.

Effective way of asking others to work on a project, letting others know about a project, looking back at past projects.

Redmine review by Susan K.
Susan K.

"Too many tabs and not super intuitive "

What do you like best?

Can house a lot of information and global accessibility. Ability to link to outside content simple.

What do you dislike?

Not user friendly and streamlined. Hard to find the content you want e.g issues section may hold training materials etc. Doesn't seem as customizable as a collaboration site.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Depends on your detail level and pm approach. It's ok but am sure there are more agile products out there

Using it on a cloud implementation for project and content management.

Redmine review by Justin L.
Justin L.

"Great feature set in one application!"

What do you like best?

I like how versatile the wiki feature is. You can create tables and hyperlinks and formatting is very easy to pick up.

What do you dislike?

Ticketing system no longer allows you to edit the body of the ticket which was a feature I found to be helpful

The main advantage we gain from the redmine is ticket tracking for our software development and human resources teams, which lets us easily track progress of various projects and onboardings.

Redmine review by Iago A.
Iago A.

"Good tool to distribute team task"

What do you like best?

It's easy to create tasks and assign it to workmates and set the time you've spend on the task.

What do you dislike?

The look it's a bit old and simple. It could use a bootstrap look style.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a product easy to use and simple to assign tasks and see the time they have taken to be done, this is the ideal tool. You can monitor a lot of project on the main page.

Easy organization of task and monitorization of the time spent on each task.

Redmine review by Reymy G.
Reymy G.

"Very simple, gets the job done"

What do you like best?

Very simple straight forward. I like the option of having different buckets for different types of support.

What do you dislike?

I wish tickets will record email conversations, instead, a new ticket is created every time an someone responds to a ticket through email. Needed constant support which is why we moved away from it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, it may be perfect for what you just need

I'm an IT support specialist. It is very convenient to keep track of all my tickets and other people in my team.

Redmine review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Redmine from my view"

What do you like best?

Well, it's free, it has good options for issue tracking etc...

What do you dislike?

Lack of built in integrations because it is open source. Lots of people have built integrations/plugins that you can use, but then you run into the issues of them getting outdates, you can't update redmine, the plugin stops working and there's no one available for support etc...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Small teams, you have nothing to lose. But as things scale up your employees don't care if its free, limitations begin to kick in. If you are able to use it within its limits, it's a no brainer.

Issue tracking within departments. We have realized that free is not always better...however I would argue that a small business would need to pay top dollar for this when it is available for no charge.

Redmine review by Nikita M.
Nikita M.

"issue tracker"

What do you like best?

redmine is almost same as jira issue tracking tool.

Can attach project wiki and also support email notifications.

Version control support, can add git or svn repositories.

What do you dislike?

Not a friendly interface. Have to try hands on redmine couple of times to understand how it works.

Using it for project management and issue tracking. It is cheaper than JIRA and provide all the features of JIRA.

Redmine review by Grace C.
Grace C.

"Great way to manage requests"

What do you like best?

Pretty intuitive design, easy to navigate. Great for a complex projects that involve a lot of different people and departments.

What do you dislike?

There are a few user experience issues that I wish they would address. For example, there's no way to get from "my page" to a new ticket. You have to go into an existing ticket and then open a new ticket. That seems like a really big oversight, since "my page" is (for me at least) my go-to "homepage" for Redmine.

Collaborating on requests between departments.

Redmine review by Carlos G.
Carlos G.

"Gestión de tareas de forma profesional"

What do you like best?

La alta personalización, incluido el uso de plugins como roadmap, permite crear una solución personalizada que permite gestionar las tareas asociadas a los proyectos y controlar así su estado y el coste esperado-real.

What do you dislike?

Alguna vez existen problemas con Ruby al realizar actualizaciones.

Gestión de tareas, sobretodo tener datos sobre el coste esperado y el real. Esto permite estimar correctamente los costes de los proyectos. Además te permite saber en qué estado se encuentra las tareas asociadas al proyecto.

Redmine review by Christina K.
Christina K.

"Redmine Review"

What do you like best?

Ability to track vital pieces of information within a project, as well as store software versions, documents, etc. Ability to assign things to individuals working on the team.

What do you dislike?

The overall appearance is a little weird looking

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use, multiple benefits in varying company areas.

Tracking discrepancy reports, utilizing as a software version tool, tracking team progres

Redmine review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Redmine: full featured highly extensible issue tracker system"

What do you like best?

I've discovered redmine about 5 years ago, when I began to approach the ruby / RoR world.

I was searching for new technologies to help my old company (KION) to better follow the customers and to better tracking the issues that came in by email and phone calls.

We already had a legacy self made issue tracking system that could not be dismissed, hence I was searching for something that was adaptable to be used in joint with that system.

Since I was also approaching the Ruby on Rails world, Redmine gave me the opportunity to address both the goals: renew (with a web interface) the issue tracking system and to learn something about RoR with a real project to play with.

Through the years, I've kept using redmine on side projects, appeciating it's extensibleness and clean interface.

What do you dislike?

The only minus may be the fact that it is a pure issue tracking system (and does it very well), so if you are already on a different ecosystem (read: Atlassian), the obvious (non free) option for you is JIRA.

Nowadays I'm working for Advenias, developing services for hospital / health companies.

I'm bind with Redmine since ruby core - which is open source - uses it as issue tracking system.

I use it each time I had to open a ticket for the ruby core team or whenever I had to check the expected time of release of a new ruby feature.

"I love this tracker."

What do you like best?

It's free and opensource, has build-in Wiki, Documentation, File storage.

It was written on RoR, so you can easily extend it with any feature you want, and there are many many ready to use plugins. And RoR support a lot of databases out of the box, so you are not stricted only to MySQL or PgSQL. RoR and hence Redmine support REST API, which made all interaction with Redmine much easier.

Moreover redmine is a good tool not only for issue tracking but for project management as well with build-in Gantt diagrams and Versions control.

Redmine is really well known, so you probably won't have any troubles to attach any of your service to the Redmine installation, import or export tasks etc.

Redmine has good support of many VCS like not only Git and SVN, but Bazaar, Mercurial and more...

What do you dislike?

Frankly speaking the interface is pretty outdated, they have to update it long long time ago. Redmine has themes feature, but it's not about how you interact with the Redmine, but more like how it looks like (different colours, buttons shape etc.)

One more feature I'd like to see there is ticket prefixes like in Jira, right now all tickets has unique numbers which are assigned through all Redmine, not per project.

One more drawback that Redmine is pretty slow in serving huge amount of simultaneous connections. It's ok if we have 50-80 developers and admins working with it all day long, but if we have more than lets say 200 of users, redmine should be tuned up in terms of performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should definitely take a closer look on Redmine. It's just a brilliant in many many facets. Of course there are things to be improved, but in general I enjoy experience with Redmine.

Tracking issues, keep all information about problems together, creating documentation, tracking changes... Right now I'm using it as my personal GTD tool, and it's pretty useful.

Redmine review by Agency in Internet
Agency in Internet

"Redmine review"

What do you like best?

It was very flexible. Being able to delve in to the source code and fix issues was very nice. We were also able to modify the source to be tailored to our needs instead of inventing workarounds. If you have time to dedicate to managing your own project management tools it is a great solution.

What do you dislike?

At the time, it did not work as well with some of the plugins available for agile development. Also, it became clear that maintaining and developing on the project took significant time away from our team. The work was not prioritized, and eventually we went with a hosted solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When considering Redmine, ensure that you have the resources to support your installation and keep it up to date. It should be treated as an internal project with a budget and requirements.

We were using it for project management at an agency with 40 employees at the time. We were using it for feature planning, bug tracking, and project management.

Redmine review by Rachael S.
Rachael S.

"Solid Ticketing System"

What do you like best?

It has good customization to adapt to the needs of your team and project. Different people/roles can be given different levels of access.

What do you dislike?

It's tedious to link tickets together - when multiple people create a similar ticket it can get confusing and bog down the system

Project Requirements, Updates, Tickets, Bugs, Features

Redmine review by Mario C.
Mario C.

"The best issue and project management tool ever"

What do you like best?

Redmine is simple, lean and easily customizable. Contrary with it's main competitor, Jira, you never feel like in the Space Shuttle touching always the same three or four options and trying to avoid as much as possible many others options "just in case" you break something.

You can customize it, from it's barebones installation to fill the needs of your business and improve it with the many plugins available.

It's also very useful for Scrum teams and Agile management, if you need it. You just need to find the correct plugin for it.

What do you dislike?

Maybe, one of it main drawbacks is the UI. While it has been improved over the years and now I feel like it has achieved a very nice milestone, it's true that it could be much more user friendly.

Also, the fact that is written in Ruby could be a drawback for some and an advantage for others, of course. I try to improve some things using Ruby as newcomer and I had no problem

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need simple, easy to use and customizable issue management tool, Redmine is the way to go, specially if your team has technical knowledge. However, if you will need constant support and you want it from a third party company, Redmine is not your solution (unless you find a company that provide you support)

The benefits of Redmine to control issues, bugs, User Stories or Epics of a project is invaluable. Since we started using and our customers communicating with us throught it, we all feel with more control over the needs of the project and our inbox emails has been reduced a lot.

Redmine review by Tsahi L.
Tsahi L.

"A solid bug tracking tool"

What do you like best?

It works for our needs. We're developing a product and keep track of our bugs and tasks through redmine.

What do you dislike?

At times, it feels a bit antiquated in its UI. Bulk operations aren't the most easy or intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check it out for yourselves. It gets the job done.

Keeping track of bugs.

Redmine review by Matthew Z.
Matthew Z.

"Redmine Works Fine"

What do you like best?

The thing I like most about Redmine is that it has a feature where you can e-mail responses to it and it will intake those to the appropriate thread. You can break your projects down into releases and assign things to different workers and have watchers.

What do you dislike?

There seem to be more data fields than necessary for most projects. It could use some simplification. Also the user interface seems a bit old. Furthermore it'd be better if the main UX just automatically gave me a list of my tickets for all projects grouped and prioritized. This was clearly a project built by engineers more so than designers. Also the text input syntax is not markdown and sometimes doing things like including images is not intuitive and attachments are not displayed inline.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is worth considering but is not the best software in the world. I would look for other solutions or simply use the issues tab in GitHub if you are using that.

This is an internal tracking system for bugs and feature requests for our software project. This allows project managers to assign work to developers and also for developers to log their work to refer back to when attempting to solve future problems.

Redmine review by Administrator

"Quick N' Easy"

What do you like best?

It's straightforward, easy to navigate, and can get to the whole team. Also that you are able to label the issue priority and see how quickly it is being fixed/check the progress. It's a great tool for staying informed.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have any issues with it-- as of yet at least. It does it's job as a project management tool and does it well. Anything issue wise would be user error imo.

Website CMS issues with our web development team. Redmine provides a quick and direct way of contacting everyone on our web development team and we can see the solution progress of our issue.

Redmine review by Román S.
Román S.

"A pleasant experience for all that Redmine provides for control over Projects and Tasks"

What do you like best?

Simplicity, flexibility and efficiency. It is a light tool with a great potential of customization to the needs of each Project.

What do you dislike?

I certainly have no catch at the moment with the tool.

A great diversity of IT projects from consultancy to development; We use it for almost everything.

The greatest benefit is to have everything under control, sharing responsibilities and never losing sight of the progress of the Project

Redmine review by Sanjeev K.
Sanjeev K.

"very intuitive, and lots of functionalities"

What do you like best?

The best thing about redmine is its vast array of functionalities. I like the comprehensive search filters which allows searching by every column.

What do you dislike?

everything is not very easy to find, specially if you are the first time user. May be a tutorial or navigation help might be useful.

We are using actitime for recording the time spend on Java projects. It had made it easier to create a hierarchy of tasks, which is helpful to record time for a whole group vs parent and sub tasks. It has a very good formatting text area, which creates nice rich texts.

Redmine review by User

"Redmine - Best Opensource bug tracking tool"

What do you like best?

- Enough functionalities for task/bug tracking

- Support multiple projects with users and roles

- Easy to setup and run

What do you dislike?

- Poor option for tickets (bug/task) status, type and workflow

- Don't have good reports

- No Kanban board support

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Opensource tool to manage project. Suitable for start-ups with < 5 team members and small projects with low budget that just need a tool to manage tasks/bugs and simple workflow which is better than using Excel spreadsheet

- Do not use this if you are following Agile/Scrum as it does not support Kanban board and Scrum workflow.

Manage a project about building mobile application for healthcare system

Redmine review by Clotilde S.
Clotilde S.

"The best ticketing solution"

What do you like best?

You can do everything you want with Redmine because it is highly customable

What do you dislike?

The interface is a quite old school, they should upgrade it !

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not negligate the time of setup in order to have a usable product

Ticketing management

Redmine review by Shayne V.
Shayne V.

"Redmine Review From A QA Engineere Perspective"

What do you like best?

The filtering in RedMine is quite useful. Additionally, the ability to change the status of multiple issues helps save lots of time. The tool has helped QA with organizing test effort by exporting defects/user stories from Redmine and importing them into TestRail. The export/import solution required a php script to convert csv to xml but Redmine now has integration with TestRail to make this much simpler.

What do you dislike?

We use TestRail for test case management and the ability to export issues from RedMine and import into TestRail wasn't straightforward. I ended having to do a PHP workaround at the time. The product worked well for our QA team and organization but we ultimately moved to JIRA recently and the company as a whole enjoys the experience better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Redmine now has integration with TestRail so if you're using both products they compliment each other quite well.

Organization of new and known issues helps plan out our work for our 2 week sprints.

Redmine review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"It's fine, but I think it often slows us down"

What do you like best?

Using Redmine has helped us better track projects, issues, etc and was an improvement over the unorganized methods we have used before. It has most of what we need and I would probably feel more positively about the product if we used more of its functionality.

What do you dislike?

I don't find it to be entirely intuitive or easy to use. Upskilling, enabling, and achieving full employee adoption have been challenging over the years. I routinely see even our power users making simple mistakes.

Project management and issue tracking.

Redmine review by Guillem C.
Guillem C.

"Redmine"

What do you like best?

It's a great tool for organize work by projects and levels of urgency. Good integration with control version software.

Can reference opened tickets to commits and can see diff of archives what you change

Have a lot of plugins for work methodologies

What do you dislike?

Can't extract Graphic or KPI's for track your work for a days.

provide a good board to follow your WIP and take control of releases

Redmine review by Daniel J.
Daniel J.

"Great open source tracking software for software products."

What do you like best?

Great team integration, bug/task/feature tracking, email updates and collaboration.

What do you dislike?

UI is a bit dated, functional but very asture.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product if you need a solid, functional, code review/management/tracking platform. Not a version management system, but tracks issues, bugs, features, etc. Would recommend.

Having a team collaborate on a software product. Helpful in bringing group together, tracking issues, searching through large amounts of updates.

Redmine review by Roberto F.
Roberto F.

"Very powerful"

What do you like best?

It has a lot of instruments to manage project: gantt, custom views, spent time and forecast time.

What do you dislike?

It has its proprietary server services. So it's quite complicated to install it with Apache, IIS and so on.

I need to define my issues and tasks. To share them with my colleagues. To define the forecast time and register the spent time. It works perfectly.

Redmine review by Benoit D.
Benoit D.

"Redmine efficient and easy to use"

What do you like best?

redmine is very efficient to manage task. It's a "fine tune machine" for admin but easy to use for non admin.

What do you dislike?

Mobile version could be best designed. Independent App iOS can be download as a good alternative to default responsive version.

Project management.

Redmine review by Joseph M.
Joseph M.

"RedMine! Great program for tracking development."

What do you like best?

The ability to customize the program based on our needs for development management.

What do you dislike?

Because it is a lower cost option there is a lot of adjusting needed to make it work fluently.

Product development and hot patches.

Redmine review by David Aaron F.
David Aaron F.

"Solid, Traditional Platform"

What do you like best?

Issues system is highly customizable. Status and workflows can be created. Works like a typical issues/bug tracker. Estimates can be useful.

What do you dislike?

Mid-tier learning curve. Ugly by default. Needs some UI love.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a highly flexible, easy-to-hack on traditional bug tracking system, Redmine is the way to go. It's much simpler than Bugzilla, though the latter does offer advanced features such as issue templates.

We used it to track bugs and issues for a client, to sync up on work. We managed multiple projects including a large software base.

Redmine review by Dale Y.
Dale Y.

"Lots of functionality, but not a fan of the interface"

What do you like best?

Redmine is a good environment for developers to track bugs, provide internal and public-facing documentation, and to view recent commits to the code repository. We no longer use this product, but it hangs around our shop for historical documentation.

What do you dislike?

User interface is a little clunky, especially when sharing wiki documentation with non-technical employees. It looks a little outdated in design.

Bug tracking and documentation are the best benefits. I haven't used the functionality for project management / gantt charts.

Redmine review by User in Computer Software

"Redmine for issue management"

What do you like best?

Simple

fast

own cloud managemement

already established and well known by everyone.

Also its very easy to setup. No need any additional It guys to manage the infrastructure.

What do you dislike?

it feels like slow performance as user and project grows.

no chatting or team management facility.

automated build tools is not integrated/good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its easy, tested and established and need minimal supervision to guide newbies.

Its helping us to manage issues amongst the 50 of developers. Also issue tracking, deadline, project scope and other general task.

Redmine review by J Marie D.
J Marie D.

"Ticket system"

What do you like best?

Easy to track issues, tasks, and bugs that need to be worked on by workers.

What do you dislike?

Email gets sent every time anything gets changed, from in-progress to changing the progress level, to completing it.

Bug tracking

Redmine review by waqas a.
waqas a.

"Agility with Open Source"

What do you like best?

backlog plugin is amazing. easy to use and setup via bitnami.

What do you dislike?

reporting is not sufficient. Extra plugins are required.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For small teams, I think it very good tool to start with.

Project management and issue tracking as well as time logging.

Redmine review by Mauricio L.
Mauricio L.

"Redmine"

What do you like best?

Versatile platform that can be implemented as an online or intranet source for your project management

Programmers can easily modify the system to make it suit their business needs

Offers vast customization options

Easily create wikis and forums per projects

What do you dislike?

Limited formatting text options in WiKi pages.

Bug Tracking, cases and issues following.

Redmine review by Josh C.
Josh C.

"Good product"

What do you like best?

its fast smart and simple. really all you will ever need for this kind of software

What do you dislike?

like with all enterprise grade software the cost is a negative factor.

I was trying to solve how to better increase my customer acquisition rates. The benefits have been that my company is working harder and smarter now and saving money

Redmine review by Ivan M.
Ivan M.

"When time tracking meets tasks tracking"

What do you like best?

Full set of features needed to manage software development outsource on Enterprise scale

Good reporting and notifications system

Time tracking feature integrated with tasks tracking

What do you dislike?

Poor UI

Big amount of features may be confusing for new users

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good tool if you are looking for system that has time and tasks tracking integrated

Manage individual contributors/outsource work

Redmine review by User in Internet

"Useful for all project-shaped activities"

What do you like best?

Redmine is very flexible, we customized it to our needs very easily, and used it for all our projects, whether they are internal or involved third parties (customers, partners). Every project entity can be adapted to its needs by configuration.

What do you dislike?

Workflows are powerful, but sometimes hard to figure out.

Very affordable time-tracking, project-monitoring and user acceptance test handling system.

Redmine review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Customizable for any team"

What do you like best?

Every aspect of the solution is customizable. When our process changes, Redmine keeps up easily with those changes.

What do you dislike?

The UX isn't stellar, but I can't entirely complain. Finding edit buttons and other misc. actions can be irritatingly hard sometimes. We also have to host the application ourselves, which isn't bad, just another thing to keep up with. Also - a word to the wise: make consistent backups. Losing redmine data after you've fully invested can be a terribly heartbreaking experience.

Project Management

Task Tracking

Engineering Planning

Forecasting

Redmine review by Administrator in Leisure, Travel & Tourism
Administrator in Leisure, Travel & Tourism

"Easily configurable and quite rich in functionalities"

What do you like best?

All the customizations and features. Very rich in functionalities and plugins, can easily be adapted to almost every need.

What do you dislike?

Embedded search functionality is not as rich as other ones, such as bugzilla.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Rich of functionality. Do not all of them at the beginning, or you will be lost and overwhelmed. Start small and then increase.

Project Management

Bug tracking

Information sharing

Redmine review by User in Computer Games
User in Computer Games

"Project management without a lot of bells or whistles "

What do you like best?

It's free! Very straight-forward. No big learning curve. It's easy to jump in and start using it right away.

What do you dislike?

Very text-oriented. For some people this could definitely be a plus. I'm more visual and prefer graphics and colors to help me quickly identify things like statuses/priorities. I get overwhelmed and bogged down easily with the way information is presented. I don't think it's ideal for big presentations or meetings for this reason.

Redmine has helped keep expenses down.

Redmine review by Patrick B.
Patrick B.

"A bug tracking tool easy to use and integrate"

What do you like best?

Ease of use

Speed

Open source

Easy to intergrate with other tools

What do you dislike?

No real issue. Every entity in our organization migrated to Redmine (from various tools) seamlessly

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even though it's a free tool, do not underestimate the admin effort with a significany number of users.

In particular, setup a test server separated from the live server (e.g. to test new releases before deployment)

Multi-site Software Bug tracking system for our entire organization.

As it's a free tools it allowed us to get rid of the licences for previous (commercial) tools

Redmine review by Waqas Ali R.
Waqas Ali R.

"Amazing Agile/SCRUM through Redmine"

What do you like best?

scrum board plugin is amazing as well as it is very easy to use. Project management is super easy and efficient.

What do you dislike?

lack of detailed reporting regarding on going projects.

Project Management and time tracking.

Redmine review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"A good option for manage your projects"

What do you like best?

This is a very complete product that cover all the phases and tasks. it´s an open source solutions and the license is free.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps the interface could be more friendly and some times the navigation is not very intuitive

We can manage all our project in a single platform. we can know at any time the status of the project and the financial situation.

Redmine review by Giuseppe A.
Giuseppe A.

"Nice tool to track issues and modifications"

What do you like best?

Redmine is a great, flexible and user-friendly tool to track issue and hot them was solved. Is useful also for history log, and allows communications from different department in a simple way. You can tail the information managed to your needs. I find very usefull the link between redmine and svn repository.

What do you dislike?

Nothing real. The tool works fine and has eveithing I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a tiketing tool, this is your right choise

Track issue, communication throgh different department and change log history

Redmine review by Humberto M.
Humberto M.

"Redmine in IT in the Public Administration"

What do you like best?

The dashboard-like interface to see all of my daily pendencies and the tasks I can delegate.

What do you dislike?

I feel the need to see more charts, both Gantt and dependencies charts.

Redmine is used to help the governance of our IP projects. Before we were using it, we had a difficult time breaking down tasks and subtasks that could be used to manage the development and deployment projects we had.

Redmine review by Achilleas K.
Achilleas K.

"Redmine"

What do you like best?

keeps tracking of daily tasks and assign them to group members, time tracking, tasks tracking, reports and stats for each project

What do you dislike?

i would like to get better stats about the assigned user tasks in each project

Recommendations to others considering the product

without cost having project tasks management and time tracking

satisfying project management and team management. Sends automatically email to group members and creates stats about each project.

Redmine review by Tyrone D.
Tyrone D.

"Lots of Opportunity "

What do you like best?

There is a lot of opportunities for a company to use this software, especially those with a siloed structure. Redmine provides a reasonable way to bring members of different teams into one uniform system to achieve goals or complete projects on time.

What do you dislike?

The UI can be difficult to maneuver through--especially if you are not a super user.

Streamlined processes and automation

Redmine review by Jesika B.
Jesika B.

"Works Well For Troubleshooting"

What do you like best?

I like that you can assign a task to different people and get feedback; there is a defined process for moving to resolution.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to make the filters work when trying to pinpoint a specific issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try!

My team uses it to resolve bugs and announce fixes. It puts all the glitches in one place.

Redmine review by Internal Consultant in Hospital & Health Care