RefWorks

RefWorks is an online research management, writing and collaboration tool that is designed to help researchers easily gather, manage, store and share all types of information, as well as generate citations and bibliographies.

Work for RefWorks?

Learning about RefWorks?

RefWorks Reviews

Showing 23 RefWorks reviews
RefWorks review by Leola R.
Leola R.

"Reference managemtent tool"

What do you like best?

I like that I'm able to house all my references in one location and easily create bibliographies. Also, the ease of changing format style has been very helpful, as some of reports and publication submissions require various formatting styles. being able to export refercences direclty from Google Scholar is a great benefit.

What do you dislike?

There's not too much I dislike about it. However it is a little slow to respond sometimes and the look and feel of it is a bit antiquated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with a small project or report to get a feel for the program and how it works. Then move up to larger ones.

RefWorks is a major time saver when writing reports and publications submissions. It assists me with all my citation needs, reference managament, and bibilograpy development.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about RefWorks
RefWorks review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Refworks is great"

What do you like best?

I love the new interface and new features. I especially appreciate the automatic metadata import and the option to save web page content. I am also thrilled about the new link resolver.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I can't have more than one account for myself. I teach RefWorks and my account gets clogged up with examples, so it does not make sense for me to use it for my own collection of sources. I also wish that PDF files and other files were automatically uploaded as an attachment when I import a citation into Refworks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is absolutely worth the time you will have to invest to learn how to use it initially. It will save you so much time and make it seamless for you to keep all of your information sources together in one place. Try it with any internet browser as well as Google Scholar and just about every database that indexes scholarly journals.

Students need an easy way to keep track of sources, and RefWorks makes that easy. My undergraduate students are always absolutely thrilled when I show them how to use Refworks for the first time.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

RefWorks review by User

"Can be helpful, but I've used better."

What do you like best?

The most useful components of refworks are that it is connected online to the article databases, such that you can quite easily click a link and have an article and its citation loaded into refworks. Additionally, within the refworks program, it is somewhat easy to organize your citations into folders for different projects.

What do you dislike?

The worst part of refworks is that I have encountered multiple errors when uploading documents and citations. The errors are usually related to formatting. Additionally, I generally don't like the user interface. Though it is possible to use the interface to organize your documents by project, this is not intuitive from the program, and took me a while to figure out how to best utilize the organization tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time learning how to use the organization tools within the program before getting started. This will save some frustration down the road.

Currently, I use refworks to quickly save and organize documents of interest from online databases and websites into a single location that is clearly organized. This saves me loads of time when I am getting toward the end of writing a manuscript and need to refer back to my references many times.

RefWorks review by M. Serhat D.
M. Serhat D.

"Reference Manager with Missing Features"

What do you like best?

It's easy to import articles to RefWorks from your computer. Also it's time saving to be able to import articles directly from the Internet. Refworks supports most of the university libraries and popular indexes such as SSCI, SCI and ISI. Microsoft Word plug-in is handy when citing articles, but plug-in for other word processors is missing. The biggest advantage of using a reference manager is not to forget citations both in-text and in references.

What do you dislike?

The website of RefWorks is not well designed, it looks quite old. RefWorks is not a cross-platform reference manager, it doesn't support Linux distributions. Also there is no option to integrate the software with Libre Office or Open Office. It only provides a plug-in for Microsoft Word. Finally, licence for RefWorks is quite expensive and the trial version is only for 30 days.

Recommendations to others considering the product

RefWorks is a good solution for reference managing but it only supports MS Windows. If you are using any Linux distributions, I suggest you to try open source alternatives which also supports Open Office and Libre Office. Also there are lots of powerful free alternatives available nowadays, such as Mendeley and Zotero.

I've tried RefWorks in the beginning of my academic career. It's an easy to use software and you can easily import articles both from your local machine and the Internet.

"Great referencing software"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that RefWorks can store links to publications in you account for later use. These links are connected to publications available at your institution. They have a feature that allows you to do intext citations in Word.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that the tab on the right side doesn't allow you to see all the folders. You have to scroll down to see them all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

RefWorks is really good for citations especially in-text citations. I highly recommend

Good for keeping record of references when writing papers

RefWorks review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Not the prettiest, but has useful the features"

What do you like best?

Refworks is great for getting started with a reference database. They have some of the easiest support material to follow to guide you through setting up an account and a bibliography. There are also additional features like following RSS feeds to keep you up to date.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that this is really a product set up for institutions; if you are an individual user looking to track your references, I would recommend going elsewhere. The user interface, although functional, is not very modern, but that is purely cosmetic.

Managing large sets of reference material for research. I tried Refworks as an individual, even though I am set up at an institution, but ended up switching to a more individual-centric platform.

RefWorks review by User in Higher Education

"Great for Research Projects that use multiple sources"

What do you like best?

RefWorks allows you to keep your citations in whichever format you prefer (MLA, APA, Chicago) all saved in separate folders for separate projects. If you are working on more than one research project at a time, this makes it easy to go back and find all the different references you have used or would like to use.

What do you dislike?

There are not many things that I dislike. The interface could be a little more user-friendly, possibly.

Students are able to quickly save their sources directly from the library website. It makes one of the more tedious tasks of writing research a little less stressful for students and researchers.

RefWorks review by Amy P.
Amy P.

"Refworks organizes my information and saves me time. "

What do you like best?

The feature that I use and like the best is that you can create bibliographies in every style. If Refworks dosent have a specific style for a discipline, you can contact them and they will get it. I also like that students can store their research articles in Refworks and organize them in various ways. I always caution the students that a computer is creating the bibliography and to always EDIT it before handing it into a professor because there are instances where the output is incorrect. To save a lot of time the bibliography feature is very useful.

What do you dislike?

I have not taken the time to really understand how Refworks interfaces with Word to do the automatic citations in a research paper. It seems confusing to me. I would have to use it to really understand this functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Refworks is an excellent tool for organizing and creating bibliographies to use for research and scholarship. Another benefit of this product is that the students who graduate can keep their accounts, and I have worked with graduate students who transferred to my university and used their account they created from their previous school.

I use RefWorks for organizing research information and building biographies for various committees and classes. I also teach Refworks to students in library instruction/research classes.

RefWorks review by Erin H.
Erin H.

"Modern Update Much Smoother"

What do you like best?

I had a lot of issues importing references in with the older version of RefWorks, but this has made it much simpler.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it switches back and forth between the new and the old version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out the system first before choosing a reference storage system.

This is extremely useful for compiling research documents instantly, and has worked as a database.

RefWorks review by User in Research
User in Research

"Lots of bugs, but great support"

What do you like best?

It's a freebie. When I lost the access I had through my former university employer to EndNote - and thank goodness; that was terrible - I switched to the freebie version of Refworks. I like that it's free, and does "basically" what I need it to do.

What do you dislike?

It often produces errors or nonconformances in custom biblio styles.

Academic bibliography

RefWorks review by Administrator in Research
Administrator in Research

"RefWorks"

What do you like best?

Easy to use; nice tool to have; makes work and life easier when citing a paper

What do you dislike?

How you have to go into the website, manually update your references/add your references before you can even begin to start writing your paper; does not capture all duplicates; sometimes the difficulty in managing the large database; ran into a lot of difficulty when upgrading or using different versions of it and trying to cite papers with various folks; sometimes the lagging of the citations when switching the different ways of citing is annoying; mind you we do have loads of citations

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient. The system is slow however it does work. Make sure you have all your references in the database first; it'll make your life easier. As someone who trains students and staff on how to use refworks; this is just a small list of things I tell them. I also tell them to always make sure your categorize your article as more than one individual uses our account which also means there is a higher rate of duplicates etc.

Currently just using it as a tool for references papers, grant applications etc. Makes like a little easier to grab citations that are done automatically for you: IF YOU HAVE IT ALREADY ENTERED INTO THE DATABASE

RefWorks review by User in Higher Education

"Like refworks for grad school"

What do you like best?

Easy to organize my articles and references when I'm doing work for grad school. Lets me search and tag things accordingly to keep things organized and easy to find.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the search feature doesn't pick up what I'm looking for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about using refworks instead of other programs! It's super helpful and gets the job done.

Need to be able to store and organize my references and articles when working. Helps with projects, especially when more than one person is involved

RefWorks review by Javier L.
Javier L.

"Great reference tool "

What do you like best?

The ability to sort citations, make folders and keep then all online.

What do you dislike?

Word add ons need to be installed and sometimes can get very glitchy

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient, and make sure to entere citations correctly. Otherwise you could download them from journals directly

None

RefWorks review by User in Higher Education

"Quick, easy, and affordable way to keep track of references"

What do you like best?

The best part about using RefWorks in a university setting is that it's so commonly used, there is often an option on pubmed, or other websites (like the journals themselves) that you can select export citation and refworks is one of the options. Then, it's automatically imported into your refworks account. So easy!

What do you dislike?

I only wish I could store the entire paper, not just the citation or abstract.

It has removed my need to have a huge filing cabinet full of papers!

RefWorks review by User in Higher Education

"New Version is a Significant Improvement"

What do you like best?

The new version has a much better user interface. Overall, it is a useful program for managing citations and has helpful features for organization.

What do you dislike?

The plug-in for Microsoft Word doesn't work as well as it could. The program is still a little clunky compared to other citation managers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is worth comparing RefWorks to open source options that may be available. They may have the features that you are looking for.

We use Refworks for organizing citations across a research team. The tag feature has helped us organize our work and made us more efficient.

RefWorks review by Elyssa J.
Elyssa J.

"Useful Product"

What do you like best?

Refworks keeps my references organized and lets me manage my multiple projects

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be hard to sort the references

This product allows me to organize my references that were previously a mess

RefWorks review by Alfiya B.
Alfiya B.

"RefWorks review"

What do you like best?

Ability to directly transfer references from all the major university libraries and Google Scholar

What do you dislike?

Lack of offline access, lack of option for consolidating and transferring to a Word document summaries of the respective books/articles

Using it for academic research. The software helped me build bibliographies.

RefWorks review by User in Higher Education

"Refworks in graduate school"

What do you like best?

The ability to import references directly from web of science.

What do you dislike?

The lag in updating the refworks database when utilizing microsoft office.

Having refworks automatically generate the reference list is a huge time saver.

RefWorks review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"Online bibliographic management program"

What do you like best?

I like that RefWorks is an easy Online bibliographic management program that is clean and visually pleasing

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that sometimes, not all of the text is fully filled out

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend using this product in order to create a personal database of references and have everyone on the same page

Solving the issue of having our employees all on the same page when it comes to creating annotations and bibliographies

RefWorks review by User in Biotechnology
User in Biotechnology

"Thesis writing "

What do you like best?

I used refworks during my masters thesis writing. It is a wonderful tool. I had justone month to write my thesis and the toolbar in MS word was a savior. I loved how it syncs the references and creates a bibliography at the end. Saves so much time. Also the ability to change the writing styles is fantastic.

What do you dislike?

No major disappointment. Only that it used to get stuck at times when you would refresh it.

Curing cancer.

RefWorks review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"I used this referencing software when writing papers during my graduate program"

What do you like best?

I liked the fact that the tool linked to my Microsoft word documents and created the bibliography and reference style I wanted with ease.

What do you dislike?

At the time I used the tool, it was a little challenging to easily share papers with other authors on my team within Refworks. This is something that Mendeley does well

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would totally recommend Refworks to others looking to use a referencing software. However, I would add the caveat about being able to share articles easily

I used refworks mainly for writing academic papers

RefWorks review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"A very useful tool for researchers!"

What do you like best?

I use RefWorks for a couple of years now. It is really useful to store and manage references. I would recommend it.

What do you dislike?

It might be a little slow to update as the articles are linked by Internet.

You don't need to buy a licence to use RefWorks. It is free and easy to use.

"Quick Review"

What do you like best?

The layout of the website, how easy it was to transfer files to different folders

What do you dislike?

I have found the reworks to be rather slow in terms of processing different commands.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Create more customizable options

I'm not trying to solve any problems.

Learning about RefWorks?

* We monitor all RefWorks reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.