RefWorks

RefWorks is an online research management, writing and collaboration tool that is designed to help researchers easily gather, manage, store and share all types of information, as well as generate citations and bibliographies.

Work for RefWorks?

Learning about RefWorks?

RefWorks Reviews

Showing 23 RefWorks reviews
RefWorks review by <span>Leola R.</span>
Leola R.

Reference managemtent tool

What do you like best?

I like that I'm able to house all my references in one location and easily create bibliographies. Also, the ease of changing format style has been very helpful, as some of reports and publication submissions require various formatting styles. being able to export refercences direclty from Google Scholar is a great benefit.

What do you dislike?

There's not too much I dislike about it. However it is a little slow to respond sometimes and the look and feel of it is a bit antiquated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with a small project or report to get a feel for the program and how it works. Then move up to larger ones.

RefWorks is a major time saver when writing reports and publications submissions. It assists me with all my citation needs, reference managament, and bibilograpy development.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about RefWorks
RefWorks review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

Refworks is great

What do you like best?

I love the new interface and new features. I especially appreciate the automatic metadata import and the option to save web page content. I am also thrilled about the new link resolver.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I can't have more than one account for myself. I teach RefWorks and my account gets clogged up with examples, so it does not make sense for me to use it for my own collection of sources. I also wish that PDF files and other files were automatically uploaded as an attachment when I import a citation into Refworks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is absolutely worth the time you will have to invest to learn how to use it initially. It will save you so much time and make it seamless for you to keep all of your information sources together in one place. Try it with any internet browser as well as Google Scholar and just about every database that indexes scholarly journals.

Students need an easy way to keep track of sources, and RefWorks makes that easy. My undergraduate students are always absolutely thrilled when I show them how to use Refworks for the first time.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

RefWorks review by User

Can be helpful, but I've used better.

What do you like best?

The most useful components of refworks are that it is connected online to the article databases, such that you can quite easily click a link and have an article and its citation loaded into refworks. Additionally, within the refworks program, it is somewhat easy to organize your citations into folders for different projects.

What do you dislike?

The worst part of refworks is that I have encountered multiple errors when uploading documents and citations. The errors are usually related to formatting. Additionally, I generally don't like the user interface. Though it is possible to use the interface to organize your documents by project, this is not intuitive from the program, and took me a while to figure out how to best utilize the organization tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time learning how to use the organization tools within the program before getting started. This will save some frustration down the road.

Currently, I use refworks to quickly save and organize documents of interest from online databases and websites into a single location that is clearly organized. This saves me loads of time when I am getting toward the end of writing a manuscript and need to refer back to my references many times.

RefWorks review by <span>M. Serhat D.</span>
M. Serhat D.

Reference Manager with Missing Features

What do you like best?

It's easy to import articles to RefWorks from your computer. Also it's time saving to be able to import articles directly from the Internet. Refworks supports most of the university libraries and popular indexes such as SSCI, SCI and ISI. Microsoft Word plug-in is handy when citing articles, but plug-in for other word processors is missing. The biggest advantage of using a reference manager is not to forget citations both in-text and in references.

What do you dislike?

The website of RefWorks is not well designed, it looks quite old. RefWorks is not a cross-platform reference manager, it doesn't support Linux distributions. Also there is no option to integrate the software with Libre Office or Open Office. It only provides a plug-in for Microsoft Word. Finally, licence for RefWorks is quite expensive and the trial version is only for 30 days.

Recommendations to others considering the product

RefWorks is a good solution for reference managing but it only supports MS Windows. If you are using any Linux distributions, I suggest you to try open source alternatives which also supports Open Office and Libre Office. Also there are lots of powerful free alternatives available nowadays, such as Mendeley and Zotero.

I've tried RefWorks in the beginning of my academic career. It's an easy to use software and you can easily import articles both from your local machine and the Internet.

RefWorks review by User in Higher Education

Great referencing software

What do you like best?

I like the fact that RefWorks can store links to publications in you account for later use. These links are connected to publications available at your institution. They have a feature that allows you to do intext citations in Word.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that the tab on the right side doesn't allow you to see all the folders. You have to scroll down to see them all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

RefWorks is really good for citations especially in-text citations. I highly recommend

Good for keeping record of references when writing papers

RefWorks review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

Not the prettiest, but has useful the features

What do you like best?

Refworks is great for getting started with a reference database. They have some of the easiest support material to follow to guide you through setting up an account and a bibliography. There are also additional features like following RSS feeds to keep you up to date.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that this is really a product set up for institutions; if you are an individual user looking to track your references, I would recommend going elsewhere. The user interface, although functional, is not very modern, but that is purely cosmetic.

Managing large sets of reference material for research. I tried Refworks as an individual, even though I am set up at an institution, but ended up switching to a more individual-centric platform.

Learning about RefWorks?

* We monitor all RefWorks reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.