ReportServer

ReportServer is an open-source web-based business intelligence platform that comes with powerful ad-hoc analysis tools as well as with support for OLAP and pixel-perfect reporting. ReportServer integrates Jasper, Birt, Mondrian and Excel-based reporting and provides a wide range of admin tools to manage also large installations.

Work for ReportServer?

Learning about ReportServer?

ReportServer Reviews

Ask ReportServer a Question
Showing 24 ReportServer reviews
ReportServer review by Alexandre R.
Alexandre R.

"Excellent Option for BI"

What do you like best?

- Simple to learn.

- Low coasts.

- Community version.

- Eclipse BIRT integration.

- Crystal Reports integration.

- Export reports to Excel, CSV, PDF or HTML.

- Excel exports are perfect

- Scheduling reports very easily.

- Unlimited Users.

- Internationalization.

- Active community.

- You can start with ReportServer Community edition and then go to the commercial ReportServer Enterprise version.

What do you dislike?

- Do not have native AD integration.

- Do not have the possibility to embed a report in a email body.

- Poor layout. Common interfaces (like login screen) can be much better.

- Do not have a mobile app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make experiments on demo version in order to verify if all features that you need are present.

It can solve most off BI needs of a medium company. Now we can create and publish reports to managers much faster. We are using ReportServer with Eclipse BIRT.

Your plan is start with ReportServer Community edition and then go to the commercial ReportServer Enterprise version.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about ReportServer
ReportServer review by Ken L.
Ken L.

"Likely Value Leader in Reporting Platforms"

What do you like best?

ReportServer, which first offers us a lifeboat away from Crystal Reports, and also provides us a path to JasperReports, BIRT, or even script based reports, at a reasonable price.

The idea of database “bundles”, which make it easy to use the same report for many clients or Organizational Units, as the engine automatically selects the correct database. This relieves us of two major issues – initial report distribution as well as distribution of updates, both of which are eliminated. The ability for technical users to create variants of existing reports is great, too.

What do you dislike?

I feel that the documentation could be more complete.

In developing our application, we looked at a few products. It was almost like Goldilocks….one product was far too complex, and required extended professional services engagement to get started. Another product had what seemed like excessive costs per client and per database connection. And neither of these could handle our collection of over 600 legacy Crystal Reports.

I find the infrastructure in this system to be impressive. It seems like whatever we need to do, there are script samples, and Java classes to handle it. We’re currently syncing teams and users from our production billing system into ReportServer. We are working on running reports directly from our softwarwe, without the user ever seeing ReportServer, using it as a pure replacement for Crystal Reports. I have to mention, too,

Overall, we think that ReportServer is the value leader in reporting, including for software developers, and especially for anyone who needs to access legacy reports on one of the supported platforms. Support has also been fantastic, so we are very happy with our decision.

What Self-Service Business Intelligence solution do you use?

ReportServer review by Brad M.
Brad M.

"ReportServer is everything we needed and more! "

What do you like best?

Offers a wide variety of options for reporting on relational databases and warehouses. Several open source reporting tools such as Jasper, BIRT and other systems are included as well as my favorite method, "Dynamic Lists" which are a way to create SQL reports directly through their web client. Using Bitnami's pre-made ReportServer package made server setup and config unnecessary and saved us a ton of time and headache!

What do you dislike?

Currently, there appears to be no way to customize Dynamic List table styling, but apparently there are plans to add this functionality in the future. Also, ran into a few Java issues (incorrect version) with the Bitnami package that we implemented, but otherwise the process was relatively smooth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the Bitnami stack for sure and definitely purchase ReportServer's training manuals (this supports the developers).

In the process of implementing a new backend system, we realized that we were losing a proprietary reporting system during the migration, so we needed a cheap solution and fast. This exceeded both our needs and expectations and frankly shocked us at the fact that such a robust, capable system was completely free and open source.

ReportServer review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"ReportServer a useful BI tool"

What do you like best?

RS has integrated interface, which can show reports, static HTML and URL together. This provides multiple options for users to choose from.

Multiple dashboard gadgets (dadget) are supported. Multiple DBMS systems can be connected to ReportServer service.

What do you dislike?

RS does not have built-in plotting tools. RS's reports are only table-based, which limits the visualization functionality of this product. In order to use visualization, third-party tools/libraries must be imported, which interface sometimes is difficult to integrate smoothly with the interface of ReportServer.

RS support exporting data into html, pdf, json, and csv format, but it does now allow users to customize the exporting format. E.g. the exported csv files uses semicolon (";") as separator instead of comma. Hopefully the exporting format can be customized in the future versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a BI tool that is easy to use, ReportServer may be a good option for you.

But if you are looking for a BI tool with fancy interface, it may require extra work.

I intended to use ReportServer visualize the data stored in DBMS in order to provide insights for business decisions. RS is easy to use, and solves most of my requirements.

ReportServer review by Karolina B.
Karolina B.

"Versatile BI system with excellent support"

What do you like best?

Flexibility - The system can be adjusted to needs of very different users: people who prefer self-service BI and ones that want predefined reports designed for them. This is particularly important for us as our company has many clients with diverse needs.

Support - The Team is present on the free forum. We have commercial support services and we are very happy about it, as if any problems arise, they are solved quickly. In this way we have immediate access to system and documentation updates.

Scripting and advances features - Many standard features can be extended through scripts written in Groovy. Script datasources allow to connect data coming from more than one database or to get data from websites, files etc. Script reports give unlimited possibilities - in terms of data processing and report lay-outs.

Templates - Dynamic list report allow to use jxls, velocity and xdocs templates. In this way we can create well-looking Excell reports (sometimes even with macros!), html reports with charts or serial correspondence in Word.

Automatically created reports' documentation

What do you dislike?

The documentation could be more extended (in some areas) and give more examples of potential use cases.

Would be nice to have more data visualisation options for users without programming skills.

Community involvement - would be nice to see how other people use the system, share our experience and inspire each other.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I fully recommend the product and the technical support.

The Team is open for users' needs. For example, as a part of additional IT services, some of the system features were adjusted to our specific needs – for instance we have over 150 databases with the same structure and – thanks to the adjustment – we don’t need to create 150 reports of the same kind, each connected to one data source, but we can dynamically attach the datasource by the report’s parameters.

For advanced users: You may even write a small app and easily integrate it with the system. So far we have created 2 apps - one for automatic creation of yearly tax returns and another one to support automatic processing of purchase invoices. Both take data from many tables and / or datasources and produce complex XML file that are later imported to other programs. More apps, with extended data visualisation and simple data input interfaces, are on the way.

We are a small company providing accounting services, tax advisory, payroll and business consulting for small and medium enterprises. We use ReportServer for:

Creating regular financial reports for our clients and for our internal use, based mainly on data from our accounting system.

Monitoring of invoice processing in our company, based on data from our document management system

Support of automatic invoice processing

Support of yearly tax return preparation

ReportServer review by Agnaldo H.
Agnaldo H.

"Reportserver improved the way we produce and share reports in my organization"

What do you like best?

The security and permission management, its very usefull where there are a lot of people with diferent roles using reportserver. Also the UI is very intuitive and friendly.

The possibility of creating hierarchies when adding new reports and data sources is helpfull, because i have diferrent departments in my institution , and i arrange the reports and datasource according to the organisational structure.

What do you dislike?

It looks like , the only way to activate new users is via email. i do not like this option, i think it would be better if administrators could active new users whithout having to send them emails.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you are not satisfied with the tool that you use to produce, integrate and share reports, I recommend you try the reportserver, it is a very robust tool that easily integrates with several reports engines and easy to administer.

Problems:

decentralized sharing of reports.

large volume of reports.

ReportServer review by Lawrence R.
Lawrence R.

"Excellent open source BI with a few odd nuances"

What do you like best?

Ability to link all types of reports under one 'hood'.

Open source.

Dashboard.

Ability to use Groovy to extend functionality (haven't tested this yet though)

I looked at uisng Report Server, Birt F-type hub, or JasperReports server. I ended up choosing Report Server as it was the only one that would enable to both use the BIRT reports I had already designed and working, allow me to extend to use various other reports (like Jasper), allow dynamic lists, and give a dashboard. To be fair, it looks and feels a lot like the Birt F-type, but without all the restrictions.

Getting the Report Server to use BIRT reports, my MySQL server, etc., was a breeze. It was literally only a matter of loading up the reports and they ran the same they did in Tomcat7, but perhaps a bit slower, which wasn't a problem for me. Using sql statement was also easy, just be sure not to include the ; at the end of your statement as this causes an error for some reason. Took me a little while to figure that out. Also, best not to include spaces in alias names, again, another bit of time to resolve that--with the help of the forum.

What do you dislike?

Setup.

Permission management.

Documentation.

The bitnami installer didn't work on my RHEL 5 host--it was unable to find the mysql server for some unknown reason, so I had to do a manual installation. The guide to this is actually pretty good. I already had Tomcat7 and a MySQL database installed and working to serve up BIRT reports, so those steps were already completed.

I had a few issues configuring the JVM settings using setenv.sh for report server, but once that was resolved Report Server loaded up. There were also a few tricks like having to set the crypto keys in both the reportserver.properties file (as it states in the guide)...but then also ensuring you do it in the crypto file once report server is running as well, which meant I had to reinstall once.

Overall, setup probably took me a day...but the reinstall only took about 30 minutes once everything to get it working correctly was in place.

Report Server gives incredible ability to manage permissions, but this comes at a cost, you have to set them all up, and ensure they work the way you expect. Oddly, this part took me the longest to figure out. In the end, the best way I found was to create a folder, like 'Staff', add users to that folder, and then set all the permissions using the 'Staff' folder. Otherwise, you will be setting permissions forever if you have more than 10 users. :)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Report Serve is an amazing BI tool which you should definitely consider before splashing out 1000s of dollar/pounds on other well known tools (Iike Actuate or Jasper) wi

In summary, excellent opensource BI software. It has a few odd nuances for how things work and finding out how to fix issues can be a bit hit and miss, but it is worth the time.

Solved the problem of having BI reports available to staff when they need them, in a friendly user interface, where users could also find some of their own information out using the dynamic list functionality.

I'm using the system in a research based environment in a university. I say the number of employees likely to use it is 11-50, but the company size, not just our department, is 1000+ employees.

ReportServer review by Michael K.
Michael K.

"full featured bi solution for any organization"

What do you like best?

You can use ReportServer in a variety of scenarios for different tasks. The range goes from high-formatted reports (Management Information System) via self-service BI (ad hoc reporting) to automated interfaces to third systems.

ReportServer has all the features that one would expect from a modern reporting platform. e.g. comprehensive permissions, a scheduler, the opportunity to develop scripts for automating, reports in third systems incorporate etc.

Report Server is very easy to install and use.

if you need support, you can get fast answers and solutions.

What do you dislike?

There could be more examples in the documentation some parts could be explained more detailed.

We use a ReportServer to our customers for different purposes. e.g.:

- ad-hoc Reporting (Self Service)

- provide JasperReports via scheduler

- sending data to third Systems via web-service

ReportServer review by Internal Consultant in Security and Investigations
Internal Consultant in Security and Investigations

"I can recommend the product and the team as well"

What do you like best?

I like its concept that they merged many different products and I can choose what fit best for my needs. During the test we have tried the different solutions and was able to decide which components we exactly need. Although there are more components the end user does not really realize that the interface hide it.

I like the interface. It is clear and well usable. I hold the idea of TeamSpace good.

The dynamic list is a great feature, it gives the user quite a lot setting possibilities directly from the interface. It is connected with the Saiku engine so the pivot table capability looks great.

The staff is helpful and open for extra demands as well. They continuously read and comment their forum as well.

What do you dislike?

I had problems with the documentation. The User Guide is quite good but the Administration and the Scripting Guide was a bit short for my knowledge (I am not a JAVA programmer, maybe this is the reason.)

You will find lot of information on the net about the components but there are just a few information from the ReportServer itself (mainly their official forum). I was spending many time with looking for the right syntax because I did not want to flood the forum.

We needed a reporting solution to our new product and we were looking a product from the market to replace the software made by us. We realized that we do not want continuously maintain and develop the code. So if the integration will be ready we can adapt the reporting solution more easy between the projects.

ReportServer review by Walter M.
Walter M.

"Report Server as Port Dashboard"

What do you like best?

Scripting reports gives total freedom to create reports, charts and other kinds of informational panels. All the structure eases the development.

What do you dislike?

The translation to Portuguese isn't fine, but the team is receptive to contributions. The user interface needs a revamp, does not support mobile and is not responsive.

We are creating dashboards to our customers in a way they can see all the KPIs in a beautiful and practical manner.

ReportServer review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Was a decent experience"

What do you like best?

The report manager was intuitive enough and quite useful. I was able to create _many_ reports and expose them to a ton of business users. The fact that these could be parameterized provided with a nice option which a lot of business users could use for self serve.

The access management was well maintained and easy to control

What do you dislike?

The dashboards interface wasn't intuitive enough and I was unable to make great use of it.

I'd have liked to have a BIRT designer in-built as well. Having to work on different tools and then update wasn't nice. Also, I couldn't import multiple reports together and/or link these reports.

I created mysql reports and one thing that i missed was to pass multiple values as a parameter - I'd like a tool which supports multiple values in a parameter (and alters/reads the query accordingly - ex - support '=' and 'IN' depending on the parameter).

My use case was to provide an self serve reporting tool to the entire organization. My primary goal was to provide them with reports which they could view and play around with. I was able to achieve this to a certain extent and had a decent amount of users in beta. My secondary use case was to publish dashboards, but wasn't able to have any success.

ReportServer review by Gary B.
Gary B.

"Good product, good concept, some bad execution"

What do you like best?

I loved the web interface, the fact it was customization and shareable. Made it a really recognizable product.

What do you dislike?

It wasn't very intuitive, I had to do some digging around to find certain things out - users and roles didnt seem to make sense to the rest of the product. This could be a simple wording issue, but I'd like to see much more of the design automated

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure you know exactly what you need out of the product, any ambiguity will bite you in the end

We were looking for a way to combine multiple data source types into single reports. Maybe I expected too much from the product but this didn't seem to fit our needs. Nevertheless it's a good product and for a more specialized requirement this would do someone very well.

ReportServer review by Stephen D.
Stephen D.

"Good Dashboard/Report Builder"

What do you like best?

The Dashboard functionality of the product. Its easy to build reports - particularly dynamic SQL reports.

What do you dislike?

Some of the tasks are not well explained in the documentation. Particularly using BIRT reports and Crystal reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a great product at a great price and does what is required to do.

Providing summary information quickly and effectively for everyone in the business.

Assist in reporting on overdue tasks recorded in our database. Will hopefully get to building graphs.

ReportServer review by Jonathan H.
Jonathan H.

"Great open source"

What do you like best?

One of the main benefits for us was the Crystal Report integration. Between web browser accessible crystal reports and scheduling/permissions this was an amazing find for our business

What do you dislike?

My only issues were the install process. After a few failed attempts I managed to crack it and now it's up, no need to touch it

The main problem solved is keeping people aware of how the business and their department are progressing. How does a sales manager know how well they are doing without metrics? How does a support department know their average support request life? Report server make this very easy

ReportServer review by Robert W.
Robert W.

"Reportserver is an excellent AND free addition to open source reporting tools like BIRT."

What do you like best?

- Its free

- It supports several reporting tools

- It offers scheduling, mailing of reports, dashboarding and user management

- It is available in serveral languages

What do you dislike?

Usability could be a tad better.

Some things are difficult to find out, the manual is a must.

The community support is excellent and provides fast and competent answers.

We recommend BIRT as reporting tool for the data our own HMI software creates.

Open source birt lacks scheduling, maling of reports, user management and dashboarding.

This is exactly where reportserver.net steps in.

ReportServer review by JOHN L.
JOHN L.

"Impressive User Interface"

What do you like best?

Very simplistic design for beginner to intermediate database reporting.

What do you dislike?

I didn't find anything unlikable. Just decided to go with an alternative UI. RS is my second favorite.

Recommendations to others considering the product

See if you like it! If not, try Eclipse!

I create custom reports for my company's database.

ReportServer review by Administrator in Leisure, Travel & Tourism
Administrator in Leisure, Travel & Tourism

"Simple to setup with all features needed for a small user base"

What do you like best?

It's free to use, has an appealing GUI and all needed functionality and an active User Forum and a speedy support team even to free users

What do you dislike?

It's not open source, so you can not fix bugs in codebase yourself

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simple and effective solution to give predefined reports to users with the ability to extend to own reports easily

Easy access to predefined Reports for Users

ReportServer review by Internal Consultant in Insurance
Internal Consultant in Insurance

"Using it as managment reporting server in production environment in my company"

What do you like best?

The variety of report types, the posibillity to schedulle, scheduller history, the posibillity of report parametrization, excel export

What do you dislike?

Hard to migrate on other server, old version of jxls support, the mail setup

Recommendations to others considering the product

Giid set od features for free software. Admin guide which is paid is recommended

Posibility of custom management reports on which bussiness decisions are made, custom reports for daily operations

ReportServer review by User

"Excellent product easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the gui and the option to group by objects, scheduling and also managing the user by role.

What do you dislike?

If you want to customize the application you need to go into groovy language and also buying their guide to understand the basis of their objects.

Automated reporting for students ,teacher services at a University Environment.

ReportServer review by James J.
James J.

"Software engineer"

What do you like best?

The dashboard on which can provide various bi reports.

What do you dislike?

The license is very expensive and the internal database is not easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Business decision

Personal purchase. Personal purchasing saving.

ReportServer review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Interesting to look at in terms of an independent report server for reporting needs of a commercial "

What do you like best?

Independent

Runs multi report formats

PDF file output.

What do you dislike?

Can't export to Open Office.

With the changes in Microsoft's pricing, Open Office is a valid option as an office suit for smaller businesses.

Can also run slow. Could do with optimisations.

Business process issues with systems that don't work well for low skilled IT users.

Analysis of business in the area a system we build for them, is used.

Summary and Detailed reporting for board meetings.

ReportServer review by Roumen A.
Roumen A.

"Great solution!"

What do you like best?

Dynamic lists, scheduled reports, user admin

What do you dislike?

Somewhat complicated configuration - one needs the documentation

Day-to-day operations reports that give insight into our customers, transactions, etc.

ReportServer review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Nice product!"

What do you like best?

Very easy to deploy new reports and also easy to manage and organize them and make them available through http

What do you dislike?

It can be a bit slow sometimes and it is hard to customize the user interface

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy support and documentation.. Go through source code and forum

Reporting and it is easy to deploy new reports

ReportServer review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Experiment with Report Server "

What do you like best?

Support for different type og Reports.

Export to different file types.

What do you dislike?

Missing lookup function when writing script for custom reports. It would be nice if therequired was a helper function when scripting. Support for webservice JAX-RS and JAX-WS.

Export data from Lotus Notes and Nosql. Java beans.

Learning about ReportServer?

* We monitor all ReportServer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.