RethinkDB

RethinkDB is built to store JSON documents, and scale to multiple machines with very little effort. It has a pleasant query language that supports really useful queries like table joins and group by, and is easy to setup and learn.

Work for RethinkDB?

Learning about RethinkDB?

RethinkDB Reviews

Showing 14 RethinkDB reviews
RethinkDB review by <span>James R.</span>
James R.

"Quality scalable and easy-to-use database"

What do you like best?

ReQL, RethinkDB's query language is one of my absolute favourite things it offers. As someone who isn't very fond of generic SQL databases, ReQL feels just like programming, and I don't have to shift mind-sets to think about another language.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, RethinkDB is no longer actively developed, and was the company behind RethinkDB officially shut down in October 2016. The project has since joined The Linux Foundation and has seen one update in mid-2017, but the future for RethinkDB isn't looking too positive currently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

RethinkDB is a great database engine, but be wary of the fact that its release cycle has slowed down drastically since moving to The Linux Foundation. We're hoping that this improves in 2018, but are starting to discuss internally about its viability in the next few years.

RethinkDB's powers all of our database needs in our business. From managing customer game servers, to running our entire OAuth 2.0 API, RethinkDB is behind it all. Its real-time queries have been a godsend for managing real-time data with game servers and other aspects of our API.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about RethinkDB
RethinkDB review by <span>Alexandre C.</span>
Alexandre C.

"A young user-friendly and featureful Database but..."

What do you like best?

First what I like best is the transparency of the RethinkDB team and its dedication to make RethinkDB a user-friendly product.

The website is full of information about the current bugs and performance issues. And there is a real effort to make the product very user-friendly: a nice documentation, a beautiful UI, a clean and well-thought API, simple sharding and replication features, joins, real-time features...

It really has lots of attractive features for such a young product.

What do you dislike?

RethinkDB is still quite slow for many operations. I know a Swiss start-up that switched from RethinkDB to PostgreSQL because of performance issues. These problems could be fixed in the future but if you need good performance right now at the very least do some benchmark and load-testing before investing too much in this database.

Also using RethinkDB made me realize that I prefer databases that use a text-based query language (SQL databases, Cassandra, Redis, ...) than databases that use a Javascript API by default (MongoDB, RethinkDB, ...) because:

- drivers in other languages are easier to implement when you just have to send some tex queriest than when you have to mimic the Javascript API.

- Javascript is a very dynamic language and it is sometimes hard to mimic the Javascript API in other languages, especially in compiled ones. It makes the API in all languages different, so you first have to learn the Javascript API and then you have to look how to do it in your language. The languages in the official documentation are JavaScript, Python, Ruby and Java. So be careful if you are not using one of these languages.

- It makes unit tests more difficult to do. A database with a large API containing plenty of functions is harder to mock than a SQL database with a leaner API.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do benchmarks for your use. Think twice if you are not using JavaScript, Python, Ruby or Java.

I used RethinkDB on small personal projects and have not used it in production.

What Document Databases solution do you use?

RethinkDB review by <span>Taylor M.</span>
Taylor M.

"Great multi-purpose database"

What do you like best?

There a ton of things to like about RethinkDB. Of particular interest are the query language which feels just like programming. I'm a big fan of the community around it because they've very welcoming and supportive as well. It's well designed and everything is done out in the open which builds a lot of trust and understanding.

What do you dislike?

One downside is that using the in-browser data explorer requires you to write your queries in JavaScript. I do most of my analysis in Python so the conversion can be a pain sometimes. It'd be nice to be able to write Python in the browser but I understand the challenges of making that a reality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Reach out to them on their Slack channel and via GitHub. They're very friendly and helpful!

We're working to bring efficiency and transparency to the genetic testing industry. RethinkDB powers our internal data pipeline that ingests massive amounts of laboratory data, standardizes it to industry-specific terms, and formats in a clinically-relevant and hierarchical manner. One of the many nice things about RethinkDB is that it allows us to be flexible about what data we're capturing as well as enables us to transform it into a myriad number of ways quickly and on the fly. It's a lot of fun to use and it just works!

RethinkDB review by <span>Josh V.</span>
Josh V.

"Powerful database"

What do you like best?

I LOVE the automatic replication and sharding features in RethinkDB. It's so incredibly simple, and the web UI does a fantastic job of letting you know what's happening with your cluster. The realtime updates make everything feel very refined.

I also enjoy how easy it is to interact with RethinkDB from a variety of tools. I've used RethinkDB primarily with Python, but I've also dabbled with some of the other drivers. The fairly consistent interface is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

The last time I paid attention, RethinkDB used significantly more disk space than some other solutions that I evaluated at the same time with the same dataset. This was several years ago now. Disk consumption is a lot better now, but it's still more than I would prefer.

Data ingestion speed wasn't quite what I had hoped when I benchmarked it recently. This was in a small-scale test environment, though, and I'm sure a proper environment would perform much better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommended RethinkDB to several of my peers over the years, and I absolutely continue to recommend that others give RethinkDB a solid look. It didn't perform well enough for my needs when I evaluated it, but I intend to re-evaluate it in the near future. I'm excited to see how the newer realtime features can improve my products.

I used RethinkDB to store additional information for things that lived in a MySQL. RethinkDB helped me to finalize a schema for my normal data, leaving more interesting information in RethinkDB.

RethinkDB review by <span>Daniel C.</span>
Daniel C.

"Great team behind RethinkDB"

What do you like best?

My favourite features of RethinkDB are the team behind it, the real time features, and the query language.

The RethinkDB team are the nicest group I have ever worked with in open source. They are patient, responsive, kind, and friendly. When reporting bugs and writing patches they are great to work with.

The real time queries are a breakthrough, and make writing real-time apps much easier than before.

I also really like the query language. It is a functional query language which works well with the functional programming language we are using to talk to RethinkDB (Clojure).

What do you dislike?

I don't really have any dislikes of RethinkDB. It is a document database, so you don't have SQL features like multi document transactions and schemas, but you would get that with any database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a document database, I would seriously look at RethinkDB.

The realtime queries are the biggest win for us. They let us get realtime updates into our web application with minimal effort.

RethinkDB review by <span>Carlos L.</span>
Carlos L.

"I have been using RethinkDB in the last month for a work project."

What do you like best?

Rethink is an easy to setup and easy to use NoSQL database that I started to use for a project in my work. The main feature that made use choose Rethink instead of other well known NoSQL database was the change feed that was crucial for the project goal.

I found that the installation and usage of RethinkDb was extremely easy to a beginner with no experience in NoSQL databases. And even with a standard installation we begun doing some really intensive work and Rethink was able to handle the load extremely well.

What do you dislike?

I disliked that to use the database I had to manually create a connection inside a Python terminal. The lack of a more easy interaction with the data in the web admin. The only option is to interact with the data using Javascript which me being a Python developer is not really easy. So I'm forced to do any data manipulation through a Python terminal.

But that being said, that manipulation is really more easy than with SQL database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is really easy to start working with RethinkDB if you have experience with Linux and Python. Just be sure that you comfortable with doing data manipulation via the Python terminal.

I'm solving a problem with a web application that needs to monitor and display any change into the RethinkDB, so the change feed option is really great for keeping an eye into insertions and updates.

Learning about RethinkDB?

* We monitor all RethinkDB reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.